You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Lolpro runs eternally terrible [EvilPingu's Diary]

Comments

• edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Donk withdraws most of Bankroll. [EvilPingu's Diary]:
    In Response to Re: Donk withdraws most of Bankroll. [EvilPingu's Diary] : Just been catching up with your blog, was surprised that you cashed out to get the new computer gear but as you say, you have something to show for your endless hours of grinding. I guess if you manage to bink another mtt and buy a car with the money, your dad will really sit up and take notice.  You seem like a very level headed young chappie, its great to hear about your life around poker. Sometimes people forget that poker is a hobby but it can become all consuming. I hope you dont mind me offering you some advice, go to uni, its a great life something I regret on missing out on. Let poker fund your studies and if you become stupendously good at it, you've got a choice when your degree finishes to turn pro or join the daily 9 to 5 grind. This is spreading risk in a way and giving you multiple options.  Theres too many blogs that focus on winning at poker, and when the losing streak starts you dont hear a dicky bird. You post whether you win, lose or draw which is to be commended. 
    Posted by ACEGOONER

Agree with all of this, especially the Uni advice. I'm already switching Colleges in September so that I can hopefully go to University in September 2013. 

Cheers for posting :)

In Response to Re: Donk withdraws most of Bankroll. [EvilPingu's Diary]:
    hi Evil, nice posts as always. i encountered a similar feeling to your dads about why i shouldn't,t be playing poker either... the house always wins,it,s just gambling,throwing your money away,all that stuff... FROM MY MOTHER....LOL but now...she loves it. i just tell her how much i,ve won... haven,t seen her since "the other night...that i,m not going to talk about again...ever."  lol and she,s happy that i,m happy.!!!  mind you,i can see why she doesn,t approve of real gambling.... as her 1st husband(my dad),did lose 3 houses that they owned(were buying), 1 in Bath 1 in Bristol and 1 in Exeter...i think,never really talked about  it fully. all on the gg,s anyway, just thought i,d share that with you. :-) dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    Wow :o I can totally understand her not being too keen on gambling after that! 

I think the only reason my Dad disagrees with me playing Poker is because he hears all these stories of "My friend lost several thousand betting on horses so all gambling, and therefore, Poker, must be bad". Nothing wrong with gambling as long as you can afford to lose the money you're playing with :)

Lol at "Haven't seen her since the other night" - Yeah, I get that too. If I tell anyone I lost money, I'm suddenly the worst Poker player in the world and I should withdraw everything before I lose it all ) So many people, Poker players and non Poker players alike, don't understand variance. If people think Poker is swingy... I was reading about professional Blackjack players the other day, card counting and all that, the edge is tiny and the variance is insane. Think I'll stick to Poker, lol.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Donk withdraws most of Bankroll. [EvilPingu's Diary] : I think anything above 20 buy-ins is fine at the low stakes because your edge is huge over the average player. But at the end of the day it just comes down to confidence. Best of luck deciding with the super roller. Maybe try to sat your way into it?
    Posted by patwalshh

Tried to satellite into the last one, spent so much money on satellites, then just bought in direct anyway - spent so much money that a min cash would've resulted in a net loss, so I'd rather grind £110 profit then use that to buy back in.

just catching up on the thread evil love reading this thread but don`t really post on it. I think you should keep reg in the super roller treat yourself,also think 24 bi`s at 4nl should not be a problem for yourself you are easily good enough to get keep movin up these stakes and be at the likes of 20nl in a few weeks maybe even higher. but best of luck at the tables buddy
    Posted by liamboi11
    I do the same with most of the other diaries, always read them but don't post much.

Still really want to play in the Super Roller, I've de-registered for the time being, but I'll see how it goes over the next few days, if I win a couple of hundred quid I can always register again.

The problem with 4NL isn't so much that I wouldn't be able to build up my roll from 24BI's, but with the amount of tables I want to play, 24 BI's just isn't enough. Although I could play 3 or 4 tables, then add a tables as my roll grows, it's pretty slow in the beginning.
  • edited May 2012
    Yeah 24 BIs is definitely enough, and with an extra £32 coming in about 1 week, you got plenty for 4NL. You already know to drop the fancy play syndrome. Rancid said something very interesting and very true to The Don the other day about 4NL, that if you're having tough decisions then you're doing something wrong. I'd be tempted to de-reg and get the £110, I'm sure you could satellite in for less if you wanted to use some of that £110 and if you wanna build your bankroll back up, £110 in your pocket is alot more useful than 1 shot at a big MTT.
    Posted by Lambert180

I'd never thought of that, but what he says makes a lot of sense :)

Deregister from roller and move up to nl10. No point messing around with nl4
    Posted by Swog
    As yourself and others have suggested, I've de-registered, will re-register depending on how the next few days go. I think £5.50 DYMs would be the way forward for me, which I was playing before - Difference being I have 40 buyins now instead of 400 :)
  • edited May 2012
    Monday 28th May

10PLO, -£0.25. Table broke about 2 minutes after I joined -_-

£3.30 DYM - W1 L2, -£3.90
    £5.50 DYM - W5 L1, +£17.00

Poker Bankroll: £217.04
    Today: +£12.85
    This month: -£239.61
    C4P: 2,752 (£33.02)

• edited May 2012
    Monday 28th May 10PLO, -£0.25. Table broke about 2 minutes after I joined -_- £3.30 DYM - W1 L2, -£3.90 £5.50 DYM - W5 L1, +£17.00 ********** Poker Bankroll: £217.04 Today: +£12.85 This month: -£239.61 C4P: 2,752 (£33.02) ********** 
    Posted by EvilPingu
    Bet you can't wait for June to start so you can start posting up a + figure for your monthly profit lol. That's not a rub, obviously £200 was a completely different amount when your roll was ten times bigger. Nice work on the DYMs
  • edited May 2012
    Tuesday 29th May

Nothing particularly interesting today, although I did deposit elsewhere to take advantage of their new player bonuses, and spent an hour grinding their 2NL tables for a $0.01 profit, and about 1/100th of the amount of points I need to get a few quid of my matched deposit bonus. Sigh.

10PLO, +£0.84
    4PLO, -£4.00

£5.50 DYM - W5 L4, +£0.50

Poker Bankroll: £214.38
    Today: -£2.66
    This month: -£242.27
    C4P: 2,802 (£33.62)

• edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Donk withdraws most of Bankroll. [EvilPingu's Diary] : Bet you can't wait for June to start so you can start posting up a + figure for your monthly profit lol. That's not a rub, obviously £200 was a completely different amount when your roll was ten times bigger. Nice work on the DYMs
    Posted by Lambert180
    I guess so, yeah - would be nice to stop being on a downswing tbh ) Just gotta grind through it, I guess, keep going through hand histories, etc.
  • edited May 2012
    I see you playing are playing some low stakes PLO mate.

Just be careful as the rake can be huge in PLO.

At around the 4PLO 10PLO level it can range from around 20bbs per 100 hands and 25bbs per 100 hands. Probably more on some sites.

Dnn't know what it is no sky, but doubt it is lower then 20bbs per 100 hands.

It must be extremely hard to turn a profit at these levels with the rake, even if the players are very weak. It can be experience though.
  • edited May 2012
    dnt mind 4plo big swings tho can win 5 buy ins easy in a hour but can lose that aswell 
  • edited May 2012
    I see you playing are playing some low stakes PLO mate. Just be careful as the rake can be huge in PLO. At around the 4PLO 10PLO level it can range from around 20bbs per 100 hands and 25bbs per 100 hands. Probably more on some sites. Dnn't know what it is no sky, but doubt it is lower then 20bbs per 100 hands. It must be extremely hard to turn a profit at these levels with the rake, even if the players are very weak. It can be experience though.
    Posted by Fabraclass
    Yeah, it's quite tough - I'm not sure if I'm winning overall at these levels 'cause I've only played a few hundred hands, but the players are definitely poor enough that you can beat the rake. My favourites are the ones that overplay AAxx so much, and it's so obvious that they have AAxx as it's the only hand they'll ever raise with, outflop them and you're going to stack them most of the time :D
  • edited May 2012
    Wednesday 30th May

Hardly played on Sky today, only thing I played all day was a HU Shuffle satellite with massive overlay, which I busted after losing a flip.

-£1.15 today on Sky.

As I have an exam tomorrow (well, today, in about 3 hours as I write this post), I decided to, err, grind 4 tables of $0.01/$0.02 on another site all night. Probably not the best idea ever, but it's about 9000°c all night atm, so I've not lost much sleep anyway >_< 

Lots of coffee, crush the exam, sleep all afternoon and wake up this evening in time for the live show :D Oh, and I've got to find a couple of hundred Poker points from somewhere today, to get to 3k for the extra few quid C4P, if I can be bothered. Which I probably can't :')
  • edited May 2012
    gl with your exam Evil,
    :-)
    dev
  • edited June 2012
    gl with your exam Evil, :-) dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    Cheers :) Didn't go too great but I'll have to retake the same exam next year anyway, so meh.

Thursday 31st May

No play today.

June targets to follow. I might start including stuff from other sites as I'm not only playing exclusively on Sky these days, although I'll have to read up on the forum rules and spam the "Ask Tikay" thread with a million questions about what I can and can't post before I do :P

Poker Bankroll: £246.84 (Including May C4P due)
    Today: +£0.00
    This month: -£209.81
    Final C4P: 2,805 (£33.66)

• edited June 2012
    Friday 1st June

Played a few DYMs, and a winning start to the month, again :) Only a couple of quid but it's better than nothing. Dad's away until Wednesday which means I should be able to get some volume in between now and then. I should be able to get a couple of thousand Poker Points by next Wednesday.

I was going to say that the new computer will hopefully have arrived by then, but there's a big party because some old woman has been wearing a silly hat for 60 years, and I've not had a "Your computer has been dispatched" e-mail yet either, so I doubt it'll arrive in the next week.

I'm also in the League Stars Freeroll again - In March I qualified for the Sky Roller through this, and won the Sky Roller for £1,770. Last month, I qualified again and went out after 8 hands with bottom set vs. top set. Therefore, if I qualify this month, I'll probably have the most uneventful tournament ever before losing a standard flip at the start of Level 9 to go out in 20th place or something. That's how variance works, right?

Would've played more on Sky, but had a bunch of new player tournaments on another site today, so I was playing them instead. One was a $500 GTD Freeroll, which I min cashed in for $3.50, and the other was a satellite, 246 runners and 10 seats worth $90 each into a $100k GTD tournament. Unfortunately busted that satellite in 25th, shoving T4o from the cutoff with 8bb (there was antes too and I couldn't keep folding and waiting for a hand), ran into AK, didn't improve. If ever there was such a thing as a sigh shove, that was probably it.

£5.50 DYM - W9 L7, +£2.00

Sky Poker Bankroll: £248.84 (Including May C4P due)
    Today: +£2.00
    This month: +£2.00
    C4P: 80 (£0.00)

• edited June 2012
    Hi Evil,

Loving your Diary m8, & for someone so young, your attitude to life both inside & outside of poker.

I hope that both are equally kind to you in the future as it seems to me to be the least you deserve.

Mike

• edited June 2012
    Best of luck for June evil. How'd you find your exams? 
  • edited June 2012
    Saturday 2nd June

Started a session yesterday - Unfortunately, just after the start of my session, the alarm thing on the freezer started going off, and by the time I finished my 9 DYMs which I'd loaded up, everything in the freezer had defrosted. Sigh.

Also home alone so I suppose I'll just have to live off Pot Noodles for the next few days :')

I've bought back into the Super Roller, so I'll reply to the posts above when I bust out of that, so about ten past eight.

£5.50 DYM - W6 L3, +£10.50

Poker Bankroll: £259.34 (Including May C4P due)
    Today: +£10.50
    This month: +£12.50
    C4P: 125 (£0.00)

• edited June 2012
    Sigh.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    EvilPingu Small blind   25.00 25.00 8607.50
    supersmith Big blind   50.00 75.00 10771.25
      Your hole cards

wallnutts Fold        
    SamieScuzz Fold        
    SoLack Raise   150.00 225.00 11212.50
    veal05 Fold        
    EvilPingu Call   125.00 350.00 8482.50
    supersmith Call   100.00 450.00 10671.25
    Flop

EvilPingu Check        
    supersmith Check        
    SoLack Check        
    Turn

EvilPingu Bet   325.00 775.00 8157.50
    supersmith Fold        
    SoLack Fold        
    EvilPingu Muck        
    EvilPingu Win   450.00   8607.50
    EvilPingu Return   325.00 0.00 8932.50
  • edited June 2012
    Still in the Super Roller, 83 left, I'm 26th with 41k chips, blinds 500/1k. Will do diary update once I've taken down the Roller :)
  • edited June 2012
    Still in the Super Roller, 83 left, I'm 26th with 41k chips, blinds 500/1k. Will do diary update once I've taken down the Roller :)
    Posted by EvilPingu
    Another break and another update:

45 left, 27th with 54k chips, blinds 1.5k/3k. Got up to 3rd and 106k chips at one point, lost a few chips trying to bully people when they had a hand though. Not many spots with a big stack on my left, who is making life difficult for me.

40 paid, so almost on the bubble, I expect it to burst before the next break. 5 members of Team51 still in, myself included, which is a pretty awesome result for the team cashes thread :)
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: Donk withdraws most of Bankroll. [EvilPingu's Diary] : Another break and another update: 45 left, 27th with 54k chips, blinds 1.5k/3k. Got up to 3rd and 106k chips at one point, lost a few chips trying to bully people when they had a hand though. Not many spots with a big stack on my left, who is making life difficult for me. 40 paid, so almost on the bubble, I expect it to burst before the next break. 5 members of Team51 still in, myself included, which is a pretty awesome result for the team cashes thread :)
    Posted by EvilPingu

Certain you will make the cash mate and from then on he who dares etc etc.

Very best of luck
  • edited June 2012
    Thanks Arazi - On the bubble now.

EDIT: Bubble burst, I'm in the money :)
  • edited June 2012
    Right stop posting and take it down :)
  • edited June 2012
    What happened? I step away for two seconds and you're gone!

Nicely played anyway. A hefty 44% increase to your roll.
  • edited June 2012
    Sunday 3rd June

Only played the Super Roller tonight. First hour went horribly, played pretty bad and went down to 7k, before getting back up to my starting stack by the first break. Should've been much tighter at this stage as it was the loosest I played all tournament. Also lost a ton of value on a couple of hands. I had the one really tilting hand which I posted above, where I flopped a house with 34 and didn't get a penny for it, despite having a player as aggro as SoLack in the pot with me, and also hit a straight with 97, but 3 hearts on board and checked back the river when I should've almost certainly been going for a bet/fold.

Second hour was pretty standard for the most part, stayed around average stack, and had 12k going into the 2nd break with the average at 12.8k.

From that point onwards, I started building my stack up quite quickly, and at one point I had 106k chips with the blinds at 600/1200 and was in 4th. Unfortunately, that was as good as it got all night. I went totally card dead, donked off 30k trying to bully someone by 3betting pre with 55 when they had JJ, flop came KK3 so I lost some money there. Then kept getting stationed by the big stack on my left, so gave up trying to steal blinds as it wasn't working at all. Aside from a couple of 3bet jams which I got through, I kept gradually losing chips and not finding any spots whatsoever.

With about 12bb left on the button in an unopened pot, and an away short stack in the BB with 3bb, I shoved with 34. The SB folded, the BB sat back in and snap called with Q9 and held, which was tilting to say the least. Think the sitting out then sitting back in and calling trick is awful etiquette, and there should be some code added to the software which stops players sitting back in when there's already a player all in IMO.

Eventually, with blinds at 2k/4k, an 8bb stack and the first unopened pot for ages, I shoved 94o from the cutoff, got called by Pocket Jacks. Rivered two pair but unfortunately, he'd flopped a set, so I went out in 26th place for £224. Was tempted to fold and wait another orbit, but I would've had live cards when I get called a lot of the time, plus if I double up with 6.5bb, I still need to get another double up after that fairly soon, so no regrets about shoving 94o.

Super Roller - 26/320, £224.00 (£114 profit)

Poker Bankroll: £373.34 (Including May C4P due)
    Today: +£114.00
    This month: +£126.50
    C4P: 225 (£0.00)

• edited June 2012
    Hi Evil, Loving your Diary m8, & for someone so young, your attitude to life both inside & outside of poker. I hope that both are equally kind to you in the future as it seems to me to be the least you deserve. Mike
    Posted by Woogie8688

Thank you :) Glad you're enjoying the diary.

Best of luck for June evil. How'd you find your exams? 
    Posted by patwalshh
    Cheers :) The exams went alright tbh, French was easy. Did really bad on the Maths ones, but I was going to retake them next year anyway, so not too bothered about them. 
  • edited June 2012
    Great result last night Pingu.

Is it gonna make you rethink about whether you continue at 4NL or move up a level or 2?
  • edited June 2012
    well done for cashing, though I know it's not much consolation when you get so  close to the big payouts
  • edited June 2012
    welldone on your cash pingu played very well u thought about playing mtts more often from what i see u have a good game cash im not as sure as u do like to do some 4 bets with air when i see u on mastercash tables 
  • edited June 2012
    Leave it out Lambert, dont encourage him to step up to NL10, there are enough good regs already, dont need another! Stay where you are Pingu!

Well done by the way. Havent posted on this but its been a cracking read! Sounds like you are quite level headed but put your exams as a higher priority. Poker will always be here, your education will last a life time, get your exams passed. Dont think that because you are taking them next year that they dont matter too much. 

Do i sound like your Dad? Didnt mean to! ;-D

Good luck with everything.