You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Lambert180 ----- Life After The Grind -------

Comments

• edited April 2012
    I love winning big pots/games against idiots like this. I sat down for this one, said my usual 'good luck', I just have to say it at the start of every game, then he says, yeah you're gonna need it, then 2nd hand of the game this happens :) I love these guys!
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    gyginner05 Small blind   10.00 10.00 1000.00
    Lambert180 Big blind   20.00 30.00 970.00
      Your hole cards

gyginner05 Raise   30.00 60.00 970.00
    Lambert180 Raise   80.00 140.00 890.00
    gyginner05 Call   60.00 200.00 910.00
    Flop

Lambert180 Bet   150.00 350.00 740.00
    gyginner05 Call   150.00 500.00 760.00
    Turn

Lambert180 Bet   375.00 875.00 365.00
    gyginner05 All-in   760.00 1635.00 0.00
    Lambert180 All-in   365.00 2000.00 0.00
    gyginner05 Unmatched bet   20.00 1980.00 20.00
    gyginner05 Show

Lambert180 Show

River

Lambert180 Win Two Pairs, 8s and 4s 1980.00   1980.00
    I took his last few chips by picking up JJ the next hand and him having 52 :)
  • edited April 2012
    Only got a few games in this morning cos I've been busy doing other stuff, so I won 5 and lost 2 for a £2.65 profit. Felt really easy today, was playing against some truly terrible opponents. One guy must have been confused and thought we were 10-handed, he just folded the button non-stop and folded to my button raise every time (no he was not away lol)

Stats

Won 19
    Lost 13
    Profit +£4.40

Gonna be getting in some more games tonight
  • edited April 2012
    we have A7o we aren't quite strong enough to want rejams unless the people are super rejam happy.

we'd rather they folded pocket 4s to our jam than rejam over our raise and then be in a flip vs us.
  • edited April 2012
    Well I was only calling a rejam from PokerTrev on 10BB or if Fredgirls decided to put he rest in (think she only had 3-4BB and 1 was in for the BB). Was happy to play a pot with robbie, as I did a few times. Snap fold to Yidette who has 60k so is never gonna flat.

Then obv, on the flop, I had a gutshot as a back up and thought I could make him fold some biggers Aces, KQ, and KJ (I know I'm ahead to KQ and KJ but happy to just take the pot down) which I figured was most of his range. I can't imagine him ever flatting a PP from 2s to Js with his stack, so my thinking was he either has a very big PP or more often than not, one of the hands that I can make fold. Is my thinking flawed here?
  • edited April 2012
    FAO Doh
    Lambert180 Small blind   15.00 15.00 1030.00
    mrgrumpy32 Big blind   30.00 45.00 925.00
      Your hole cards

Lambert180 Raise   60.00 105.00 970.00
    mrgrumpy32 Raise   90.00 195.00 835.00
    Lambert180 Raise   180.00 375.00 790.00
    mrgrumpy32 Call   135.00 510.00 700.00
    Flop

• K
    • Q

mrgrumpy32 Bet   510.00 1020.00 190.00
    Lambert180 Fold        
    mrgrumpy32 Muck        
    mrgrumpy32 Win   510.00   700.00
    mrgrumpy32 Return   510.00 0.00 1210.00
  • edited April 2012
    If you're going to 4bet here, id rather 4bet shove. At these stakes ppl rarely 3b/f pre and most ppl will show up with tonnes worse than 99.

Also flatting the 3bet maybe an option if you want to play a flop.

But i prefer 4bet shoving pre.

As played, nice fold.
  • edited April 2012
    Not a great session today. I felt like I ran mega mega bad, lost about 2 games early in the session down to tilt, but got back on track, and continued to run horribly. I finished down for the day but it could have been worse and hopefully I can start afresh tomorrow.

Stats

Won  50
    Lost  49
    Profit  -£3.95
  • edited April 2012
    Feel like I'm back to my old game today (and running a bit better), I was saying to Doh yesterday that I think I'd lost some of my aggroness yesterday because of how I was running. Won 5/6 so far this morning, let's hope I can keep it up while you're watching me later Doh.

Gonna play that HU shuffle tourney in a bit though
  • edited April 2012
    Played that HU Shuffle trial and managed to come 5th out of 124 to cash for £3.65 but I won't be including that in my HU profit for today. So as it stands, I've won 5/6 so far today so, will give updated stats here and then again later once I've played tonight.

Stats

Won 55
    Lost 50
    Profit: -£0.25
  • edited April 2012
    Hi Lambert

Played you a couple of times yesterday and contributed to your run bad, my AJ beating your JJ all in pre lol!!
    Was wondering what sort of win rate you feel is achievable at the micro stakes HU games over a large sample and do you think its a better way to build a roll than grinding NL4??

GL with the games
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 - A Day In The Life:
    Hi Lambert Played you a couple of times yesterday and contributed to your run bad, my AJ beating your JJ all in pre lol!! Was wondering what sort of win rate you feel is achievable at the micro stakes HU games over a large sample and do you think its a better way to build a roll than grinding NL4?? GL with the games
    Posted by WINKY911
    I think I'll let Dohhhhhh give you a better answer (he pops in on my thread) but they're definitely fairly easy to win at. A while ago when my BR was better I was playing the £3.15 games, and I played abuot 700 games in a month and was about £60 up. I think about 5% ROI is pretty easy at low levels so if you play 500 games (£1.05) so you've invested £525, you should make about £25 quid ish profit.

You can also earn poker points alot faster. That shouldn't be a big consideration because you'll make alot more money by just winning but just grinding 4NL alone, you'd have to play ALOT to scrape to get 500 points. These are alot easier to rack up the points.

I do think there's alot more profit to be made from the terrible play at 4NL but I just don't have the BR at the moment to be able to multi-table comfortable and 1 table is terribly boring at 4NL.

Anyway Dohhhh can give his thoughts on expected profits/ROIs from the micros cos he's the master.
  • edited April 2012
    Urgh that was a real grind, had JJ watch the first about 5-10 games (then he disappeared) so he got a little taster how I can get my opponent against the ropes regularly but am completely incapable of winning a race to finish them off. After JJ went, I started getting a bit butchered by outdraws, I won't bore you with them all but things like getting my opponent down to 800 v 200, getting it in with QJ v Q8 and losing.

(Will have to show you some HH JJ cos you won't believe the badness lol)

But I didn't give up, I kept playing well, ploughed through the stinky outdraws, managed to win about 5 or 6 in a row to get back to almost even, so in the end I won 14 and lost 15. All but 2 of them were turbos and I lost both my turbos as Doh saw. I'd love to see my winrate at these when I'm running even just close to normal.

Stats

Won  69
    Lost  65
    Profit  -£2.70

On a completely non poker related topic... as some of you know, I recently stopped working for Bupa to move back down south with Emma, so I've been enjoying a few weeks out of work since I moved down, but I now have a job interview on Monday for a decent job. Maybe I'm saving up my run good for then ;)
  • edited April 2012
    Been playing hypers again this morning, started off running pretty bad again, had someone down low in chips and got them all in 3 times in the same game when I was crushing (things like A8 v A3) and lost all 3 of them :(

But I cracked on again, played well and managed to come out with 11 wins and 8 losses for a £2.05 profit. I probably could have only fitted in about 7 turbos in the time I was playing too. Gonna get some more games in tonight I think but  here's my stats so far

Stats

Won  80
    Lost  72
    Profit  -£0.65

It's not mega important but I'm cruising to getting 500+ poker points which is actually 5 BIs for my level so it aint too bad :p
  • edited April 2012
    Forgot to update with last night's results. I played 8 and only won 3 :(  so a loss of £2.40. So far played won 1, lost 1 this morning, will give updated stats when I finish playing for the morning.

Finally managed to watch that Derek which I'd Sky plussed and yeah just WTF. It was wierd to say the least... think the only time I laughed was when he ran through the home naked after falling in the pond. Maybe the odd thing that Karl said but that's just Karl.
  • edited April 2012
    Right I've finished my games for the morning... tried out a new strategy today and it's seemed to massively improve my game. Don't wanna give to much away but wouldn't mind having a chat with you JJ to see what you think of it. I could have been running better than I have been but I really don't think I was running that well, not picking up lots of strong hands, not flopping well more than you'd expect and didn't give any bad beats (didn't receive any either tho so that helps).

Anyway I won 7 out of the 9 I played this morning so that's £4.55 profit. So that combined with the losses I forgot to put up from last night make things like so...

Stats

Won  90
    Lost  79
    Profit +£1.50

Finally back in the black and feeling better about the tweaks I've made to my game. I'm on 392 poker points at the mo, so reckon I should get to 600-700 which I think it something like £6.50

Doh - What BR would you want to be playing £2.10 Hypers, I was thinking I'd wait til I got to about £60 but what dya think?
  • edited April 2012
    Coolers FTW!!
    SAS10 Small blind   10.00 10.00 490.00
    Lambert180 Big blind   20.00 30.00 480.00
      Your hole cards
    • J
    • Q

SAS10 Call   10.00 40.00 480.00
    Lambert180 Check        
    Flop

Lambert180 Bet   20.00 60.00 460.00
    SAS10 Raise   80.00 140.00 400.00
    Lambert180 Raise   200.00 340.00 260.00
    SAS10 All-in   400.00 740.00 0.00
    Lambert180 All-in   260.00 1000.00 0.00
    SAS10 Show
    • J

Lambert180 Show
    • J
    • Q

Turn

River

• J

Lambert180 Win Straight to the Queen 1000.00   1000.00
  • edited April 2012
    Just another quick session for tonight because I don't wanna hog the laptop from Emma. My new system for playing the hypers seems to be working an absolute charm. Just won 5 and lost 1 for a profit of £3.70

Stats

Won  95
    Lost  80
    Profit  +£5.20

Poker points: 398

Doh - Am guessing you can't single out particular games on SS? Like could you check win-rate/ROI for turbos and hypers seperately or do you have to lump them together?
  • edited April 2012
    1 - 0 against Man Utd...looking good!
  • edited April 2012
    Had a bit of a brutal session tonight, got off to a REALLY bad start where I just repeatedly got my oppo down low but just couldn't win a race to finish them off. Dohhhhh I really need to go through some HHs with you if you've got some time, cos I just wanna make sure that I am running bad and not just playing bad (I'm sure it's running).

I'd post a few hands up here, but I hate threads that are full of tons of hands, makes it look really messy (I'm Mr OCD). Maybe I'll stick 1 or 2 up tomorrow or just see if you're on msn.

Still down £7.25 for the session but it was worse.

Stats

Won  115
    Lost  105
    Profit -£2.05
  • edited April 2012
    ive had a go at a few hu games but i end up winning one and they never want a rematch lol. Gl lambert with this :)
  • edited April 2012
    Got a quick session in, nice to be in profit after my horrid run bad last night. Ran pretty bad at the start but then managed to bink a few lucky spots against a player I really respect (won't name names but you know who you are), by getting shoved on pre twice, once holding AK and once holding KK. Finished £3.20 up.

Stats

Won  125
    Lost  111
    Profit  +£1.15

Poker Points: 464

I'm on easy street now to make the C4P and earn an extra 5-6 BIs for my level.
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 - Hypering My Way To Riches!:
    won't name names but you know who you are Posted by Lambert180
    It was me!

For the record I was beaten 3-0, fair and square. The best man won. This diary is a great read, I'm one of the many lurkers who read every post, please keep up the good work.

Good luck with this and I'm looking forward to meeting up at Cardiff SPT.
  • edited April 2012
    Another quick few games in tonight, wasn't running so bad this time, won 4/5 for £2.75 profit.

Stats

Won  129
    Lost  112
    Profit  +£3.90

Poker Points: 469

On a side note, I forgot to mention how my job interview went on Monday. Well I don't know yet, he's gonna be getting back to me by the end of this week, although it was shortlisted down to only 6 for interviews and I think it went really well, he seemed really impressed with all my experience. And for the first time in an interview, I managed to do what 'they' always suggest and dodged answering the question about what salary I want, which turned out quite well cos he offered slightly more than what I would have said. Fingers crossed.
  • edited April 2012
    Another really quick 'session' this morning, not sure it's even big enough to count as a session but I won 4/4 anyway. For my first game I found this guy who I scoped and had only played 5 SnGs on Sky and was already in a nice loss, he was a pretty awful player and I managed to get 2 rematches out of him before he'd had enough. Finally feeling like I'm running about EV.

Stats

Won  133
    Lost  112
    Profit  +£7.70

Poker Points: 473
  • edited April 2012
    Why so many tiny sessions Paul?

Is it all to do with not having the time?

Or are there any other reasons?

You wanna lock up small profit after a good start? etc?

What's the longest session you've played on the hypers in terms of games?

Always use the 'M' word when bankroll building, but momentum is even more important when playing HU, if I was on a run of 4/4 wins, last thing I would wanna do is quit. At the very least, play on until you lose a game.....

Need to smash em while you're hottttttttttttttttt!
  • edited April 2012
    Yeah I know you're right, some of it is trying to lock up profits after a good start which I know makes no sense. The stupid thing is, the times I go on to play long sessions are when I'm losing.

I think my longest session of hypers has been about 40 odd, but they tend to be between 10-20 usually. Did try playing 2 at a go for a bit, but it didn't feel quite as comfortable and it was a losing session (whether that be through bad play or just runbad) so I've been sticking to 1tabling mostly.

But yeah I know you're definitely right about momentum, I've experienced enough negative momentum already.
  • edited April 2012
    DOHHHH's above post is very true. We're always told in poker to 'play for the long term' etc. and we can't cheat variance by only playing small winning sessions. If it's just time constraints then that's fair enough, but you should always try to play as many games as possible when we are in a good frame of mind and playing well. Your true ROI in hypers is always going to be very small (1-5% typically for winning players), so the only way we can amass decent profits is to put in as much volume as possible. C4P's (or other reward schemes) are the main benefit of hypers as they offer guaranteed income providing you put the volume in.
  • edited April 2012
    I agree with nearly everything you've said there nagrom, although I would say the main benefit of hypers is to make decent amounts of profit from the volume you put in.

I only started playing these on 15th April and so in 10 days have played abuot 250 and this is with what I would class as very small volume. I'm confident I could smash 1000 games most months. So if I'm making 5p per game (on average), then 1000 games is £50 profit, where as 1000 games would give me 1000 C4P which is less than a tenner.

But yeah, these are all abuot volume, volume, volume (when you're in the right frame of mind)
  • edited April 2012
    Decided to get a bit of a bigger session in tonight after your comments, not massive but yeah. Bit of a long slog, ended up winning 21 and losing 19 which makes me exactly break even lol... but at least I broke the 500 points barrier and am now earning money cash for every game played.

Stats

Won  154
    Lost  131
    Profit  +£7.70

Poker Points: 513

I may have broke even tonight, but I'm now owed a whopping £4.10 in C4P :p
  • edited April 2012

Nice, C4P makes a huge difference when you're playing a game which is only beatable with a small ROI; a 53% boost to your profit for the month in this case.