You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Lambert180 ----- Life After The Grind -------

Comments

• edited April 2012
    Indeed Gary... Sky sent me an email saying they'll give me 25% more C4P if I earn 1000 but that might be out of reach for me now, I dunno, few monster sessions could get me there. Either way, I'm sure I'll get to £6-7 C4P, and I'm playing well and think I'll be definitely be £10+ profit by the end of the month, short of alot more runbad
  • edited April 2012
    Could someone who is a member of SS please search me and find out how many HU games I've played/won/lost today because I accidently lost track.
  • edited April 2012
    Another decent session earlier, same problem as I remember you mentioning JJ, I always seem to start the session down and then spend the rest of the session catching up. So started badly and managed to get close to break even, not as close as I'd like though. Won 23, lost 25.

Stats

Won  177
    Lost  156
    Profit  +£3.30

Poker Points: 561 so I'm up to £4.49 now.
  • edited April 2012
    Thanks for your input Spades, it was very...informative.

Got another small session in. but this time it wasn't cos I was trying to lock up a small profit, I do actually have to go out now. Excuses FTW. But anyway, I won 6 and lost 3 for a £2.55 profit.

Stats

Won  183
    Lost  159
    Profit  +£5.85

Poker Points: 570 (£4.56 C4P)

Just out of interest, my win rate is 53.5%

• edited April 2012
    Got another 27 games in tonight, and won 15, could have been better, but hey it's all profit. £1.65 profit tonight.

Stats

Won 198
    Lost  171
    Profit  +£7.50

Poker Points: 597 (£4.78 C4P)

So looks I'm crusing to be making about £15 in the last 2 weeks of playing these (C4P included). May be having an ROI challenge with Doh for May.
  • edited April 2012
    Nearly £10 profit, then you will have made your way to Riches. :)

Good work, keep it up.
  • edited April 2012
    keep it going buddy dont think i could have the patience though for so many games and so little profit. But each to there own i presume you still play other formats though like the dtd ect. Otherwise seems like a really hard grind. But at least your sticking to type of game and probably gaining a lot of expierience doing it.
  • edited April 2012
    Yeah at the moment, from my profit and games played, I think my ROI is about 3% (that's a rough guess off the top of my head though) so I'm making about 3p per game (@£1.05s) lol. Doesn't sound great but I know I can get an ROI of 5% at these, it's a good way to build my BR up which is what I want, and I'll soon be playing £2, then £3 games when I've got my roll up a bit more. Then obviously I'd be making 6p or 9p retrospectively per game, or 10p and 15p if I get my ROI to 5% which I think is very do-able.

So when I'm playing £3 games, with an ROI of 5%.... 15p x 1000 games = £150 plus about £15 C4P, I'm happy with that considering I don't play for a living or anything.

Also, before doing this, I'd only played about 5 hypers max in my entire life, so I am very new to this format and think my win-rate has obviously been affected in the sense that I wasn't as good at them when I first started as I am now. It's also an easy way to earn a few squid in C4P... I dread to think how much I'd need to play 4NL to get 600 points, probably twice as much as I have done.

Gonna be having an ROI challenge with Doh for May, where we both play 1000 games,
  • edited April 2012
    Well as some of you may know if you were following the live stream, I was at SPT Cardiff yesterday and managed to bink myself a little cash. I think I played really well all day (with the exception of 1 hand) so was really happy to get my first live cash for £375, which aint too bad considering it's only the 2nd time I've played live (not counting home games and stuff).

My one bad hand was a terrible lapse in concentration, where I had a perfect stack to be open shoving and taking down some nice blinds/antes, it comes to me in late position unopened (or so I thought lol) I jam with 97, then TommyD to my left kindly says 'did you realise there was a raise UTG' lol... I was like 'oh god that's me out!' (I waited til he called before saying that lol). He turns over TT and I flop a 9, then river another 9 for trips.  Felt really harsh on that guy, cos it left him short and he shoved AK a couple of hands later, called by KT who flopped a T to knock him out.

Apart from that, I didn't dish about a single bad beat (or receive one) for the entire tournament. Although I did pick up a few nice hands, like a shorty jamming, a flat call behind, I rejam with AA, called by the caller and knock 2 opponents out.

16th got paid, andd we were down to 12, blinds had just went up to 3k/6k with a 500 ante, and I had just under 60k. Playing 6 handed, folds round to me on the button, and I jam with A6s, only to see CTBN on the BB find KK. I had backdoor straight and flush draws on the flop (and obviously my ace), but no luck so cashed for £375. I was tempted to ladder a bit because there were 3-4 players who were way shorter than me, but once I'd cashed I was always going for the win.

All in all, a great day, with £265 profit, gonna withdraw £110 of the win for the buy-in cos I just bought in direct from my bank account (non poker related bankroll) but I've still boosted my BR up to about £300 now. Bring on the ROI challenge Doh!
  • edited April 2012
    Very nice result yesterday mate!

Does this bigger roll now mean you're moving up hyper levels?

• edited April 2012
    Congrats on your cash at spt cardiff lammy lad really made up for you ;p
    well deserved. Regards Alan.
  • edited April 2012
  • edited April 2012

Well done on your cash in Cardiff, Paul!

Question for u and DOHHHH, how many buyins do u both think u need to play these hypers with, as I guess there can be big swings? TY + GL

• edited April 2012
    Doh can probably give you a better answer, but I think at the low stakes, the players are pretty bad, and you should be trying to play a low variance way of playing them so I'd say if you start at £1.05 games, then £20 is enough.
  • edited April 2012
    Good to meet you yesterday.  Once again very well done!  
  • edited April 2012
    Well played Lambert. You must bechuffed to bits....i'd be.
    Mind i did see the pic of the final table/s and it looked like a pentonville line-up outside the cells. Not that i'd know, of course.
    Congrats again....its good to see players who use the forum getting a bit back....cue applause...
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 - Hypering My Way To Riches!:
    Well done on your cash in Cardiff, Paul! Question for u and DOHHHH, how many buyins do u both think u need to play these hypers with, as I guess there can be big swings? TY + GL
    Posted by DEL560
    Honestly not something I've ever thought about Del, so it's an interesting question, and made me think........

As with all bankroll management advice, it depends on so many personal factors.....

For a recreational player, who is a winning player, but still only plays for fun/a bit of spare cash, I'd say maybe 80 buy ins? At the lower levels....

Probably, 120-150 at the higher levels.......

For new players, who are just starting hypers, at a very low level, and can reload if they bust, I spose you can't go any lower than £1, so start there, and move up when you get to maybe £60/80? 

But u gotta be prepared to move back down.....

Might be bad advice Del, as I say, I never really had to worry about bankroll management, as I play well within my bankroll. But if you want to push yourself, I'd expect the above isn't too far off.
  • edited April 2012
    welldone lambert 
  • edited April 2012
    well done lamby,
    :-)
    devon
  • edited April 2012
    Nice stuff Lamby !
  • edited April 2012
    Well done on your cash Lambert. I guess like you said it could have been tempting to ladder a bit with some other other short stacks out there but think you always have to play for the win. Congrats

MP
  • edited April 2012
    I'm now going to have to have a serious think about my plans now. People on here and on FB have asked me if I intend to move up levels in the hypers with my new bankroll. I've been thinking about this a bit, and I originally planned to move up levels of hypers... BUT the whole point of me doing hypers was for me to build up a roll big enough where I'd be comfortable playing cash.

So after my SPT bink, I've now got a £300+ roll so enough where I'd be happy to play 10NL. Playing cash was always my plan and I know it's where A) the most money can be made and B) I will improve my overall game the most.

No decisions made yet, not gonna change what games I'm playing til May (tomorrow), so gonna have a bit more of a think about what I really want and will start going at it again from 1st May with some targets based on whatever format I choose.
  • edited April 2012
    I'm now going to have to have a serious think about my plans now. People on here and on FB have asked me if I intend to move up levels in the hypers with my new bankroll. I've been thinking about this a bit, and I originally planned to move up levels of hypers... BUT the whole point of me doing hypers was for me to build up a roll big enough where I'd be comfortable playing cash. So after my SPT bink, I've now got a £300+ roll so enough where I'd be happy to play 10NL. Playing cash was always my plan and I know it's where A) the most money can be made and B) I will improve my overall game the most. No decisions made yet, not gonna change what games I'm playing til May (tomorrow), so gonna have a bit more of a think about what I really want and will start going at it again from 1st May with some targets based on whatever format I choose.
    Posted by Lambert180
    congrats on cashing. My advice for what it's worth would be to create two "virtual" bankrolls. Use one to play micro cash and the other to continue with hyper sng's.
    These poker disciplines are very different and you would be making a relatively large step up by playing 10 nl, assuming you have not played much cash beforehand.

• edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 - Hypering My Way To Riches! : congrats on cashing. My advice for what it's worth would be to create two "virtual" bankrolls. Use one to play micro cash and the other to continue with hyper sng's. These poker disciplines are very different and you would be making a relatively large step up by playing 10 nl, assuming you have not played much cash beforehand.
    Posted by simonnatur
    Nah I've played loads of cash, used to play between 4NL - 10NL all the time, had a BR of about £250, and then blew a ton of it on trying to qualify for Brighton (and failing miserably). So was just trying to get my BR back up to a level where I'm happy to go back to cash, so playing 10NL is not gonna be a big jump or anything.
  • edited April 2012
    Just got my 100 poker points for playing at Cardiff which has boosted my C4P to 697 (£5.58), always nice to get a free quid :p
  • edited April 2012
    Play NL10, I think it's a very simple decision )

Avoid the set farmers and you will done just fine
  • edited April 2012
    Been thinking about trying hypers out too, but I just don't see how it can be profitable and how someone can have an edge as I would just think it's all how about good you run and just be about flips?
  • edited April 2012
    Congrats at on your Cash in Cardiff Paul, it was a pleasure to meet you and you get my full respect for playing to win rather than going super-tight to ladder like some others did. Best of luck to you at NL10.
  • edited April 2012
    Well as some of you may know if you were following the live stream, I was at SPT Cardiff yesterday and managed to bink myself a little cash. I think I played really well all day (with the exception of 1 hand) so was really happy to get my first live cash for £375, which aint too bad considering it's only the 2nd time I've played live (not counting home games and stuff). My one bad hand was a terrible lapse in concentration, where I had a perfect stack to be open shoving and taking down some nice blinds/antes, it comes to me in late position unopened (or so I thought lol) I jam with 97, then TommyD to my left kindly says 'did you realise there was a raise UTG' lol... I was like 'oh god that's me out!' (I waited til he called before saying that lol). He turns over TT and I flop a 9, then river another 9 for trips.  Felt really harsh on that guy, cos it left him short and he shoved AK a couple of hands later, called by KT who flopped a T to knock him out.Apart from that, I didn't dish about a single bad beat (or receive one) for the entire tournament. Although I did pick up a few nice hands, like a shorty jamming, a flat call behind, I rejam with AA, called by the caller and knock 2 opponents out. 16th got paid, andd we were down to 12, blinds had just went up to 3k/6k with a 500 ante, and I had just under 60k. Playing 6 handed, folds round to me on the button, and I jam with A6s, only to see CTBN on the BB find KK. I had backdoor straight and flush draws on the flop (and obviously my ace), but no luck so cashed for £375. I was tempted to ladder a bit because there were 3-4 players who were way shorter than me, but once I'd cashed I was always going for the win. All in all, a great day, with £265 profit, gonna withdraw £110 of the win for the buy-in cos I just bought in direct from my bank account (non poker related bankroll) but I've still boosted my BR up to about £300 now. Bring on the ROI challenge Doh!
    Posted by Lambert180
    You missed the best bits Lambert.  After I (in the SB) and the BB folded you snap grabbed your chips to bring them back, It was then that I told you UTG had bet, you gave a visible gulp.  After he called it was then that I said you missed him bet but it wasn't the hardest read anyone's ever made.  Worked out though.  Many congrats on your cash, you played great man.  Oh and the guy with AK called the guy with KT's shove, I know that because I was KT.  And you were going to call that shove with A9.  How rude.  ;)