You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Lambert180 ----- Life After The Grind -------

Comments

• edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 - A Journey Through Cash Games:
    Well I wasn't really 'after' anything, I was just allowed to see a free flop from the BB. But yeah, I realise now, I should have bet turn. I was probably just thinking too much when I didn't really know my opponent. If I ever see someone check raise me on a flop like that and give up on a non flush turn, then I'd always be betting (especially if I have a set of 8s!) But yeah, first session back to cash for a while, must be a bit rusty. Emma has managed to show me up at poker again lol. We both played our first ever timed tourney today (not simultaneously because we only have 1 laptop)... She trebles her BI, and I bust out in level 2 :( I didn't realise them timed tournies had such fast structures, mental.
    Posted by Lambert180
    me thinks you were after his chips lol
  • edited May 2012
    Got another session in tonight, only managed to play for about 1hr 30, was gonna play for longer but Emma wanted to go in the 9:15 £300 BH. Although I did play with 3 tables tonight which was perfectly comfortable. Finished the session £5.79 up so a big improvement compared to yesterday, and I was really happy with how I played.

Got a few interesting hands, but am now restraining myself from giving away too much info about my game by not posting loads in the clinic so would be grateful if someone experienced fancies having a look at a hand or two.

Todays Profit: +£5.79
    Monthly Profit: -£12.89

Poker Points: 57

Quite shocked with how quickly I'm earning points for the small amount of volume I'm putting in. Looks like I should be able to cruise to 1000+ when I'm in full swing with proper sessions and 4-6 tables.

I'm intrigued to hear your thoughts on the flush v set hand Pingu.
  • edited May 2012
    Got a much more decent amount of volume in tonight, played for 2 hours and was 4-tabling this time (perfectly comfortably).

Few annoying spots at the start of the session... made a hero call (I know, very stupid!) because I was so sure he overbet the river with a missed flush... turned out he'd flopped the same pair as me (my kicker was better) then he hit 2pr on the river. Then I had KK with the King of hearts, and got it in on the flop 572 (all hearts), he turned over 38 of hearts, and I didn't manage to bink another heart.

Anyway, was almost 2 BIs down after them 2 hands right at the start of the session so spent the rest of the session playing catch up (I wasn't actually chasing the loss, but ya know what I mean). After them 2 hands, I was very happy with how I played for the rest of the session and finished 1 BI down. The frustrating thing was that I kept picking up hands and flopping well, and I dunno if people just had nothing, but I just couldn't get paid off for anything, so all the pots I won were small pots.

On the bright side, I did hit my first ever online royal flush tonight :p
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    shaun09 Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £9.89
    Lambert180 Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £14.38
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • J

southdog Raise   £0.20 £0.35 £11.01
    wisdom1932 Fold        
    shaun09 Fold        
    Lambert180 Call   £0.10 £0.45 £14.28
    Flop

• K
    • A

Lambert180 Check        
    southdog Check        
    Turn

• J

Lambert180 Bet   £0.34 £0.79 £13.94
    southdog Call   £0.34 £1.13 £10.67
    River

Lambert180 Check        
    southdog Bet   £0.20 £1.33 £10.47
    Lambert180 Raise   £0.90 £2.23 £13.04
    southdog Call   £0.70 £2.93 £9.77
    Lambert180 Show
    • Q
    • J

southdog Muck

Lambert180 Win Royal Flush £2.71   £15.75
    Today's Profit: -£10.70
    Monthly Profit: - £23.59

Poker Points: 113

• edited May 2012
    Funny story with that royal flush. I didn't notice the Q in my hand was the spade, so I checked the nut straight positive that he would bet and I'd check-raise... was a bit annoyed when the Js came on the turn, then when the Ts came on the river I was genuinely thinking, 'oh ffs, my nut straight is beat by all kinds of flushes and FHs now' lol... then I realised!
  • edited May 2012
    Horrible spot... easy fold?
    Mr_Kray Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £15.89
    hacking09 Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £9.42
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • Q

Gill_1957 Fold        
    Lambert180 Raise   £0.30 £0.45 £9.95
    Mr_Kray Call   £0.25 £0.70 £15.64
    hacking09 Fold        
    Flop

Mr_Kray Bet   £0.10 £0.80 £15.54
    Lambert180 Raise   £0.70 £1.50 £9.25
    Mr_Kray Raise   £1.20 £2.70 £14.34
    Lambert180 Call   £0.60 £3.30 £8.65
    Turn

Mr_Kray Check        
    Lambert180 Check        
    River

Mr_Kray All-in   £14.34 £17.64 £0.00
    Lambert180 Fold        
    Mr_Kray Muck        
    Mr_Kray Win   £3.05   £3.05
    Mr_Kray Return   £14.34 £0.25 £17.39
  • edited May 2012
    In RF hand raise river a LOT more, I presume raise was small as you only realised you had it at the last second?

QQ - yeah looks fine can't see what you beat apart from badly played JJ.

• edited May 2012
    Well before I realised about the RF, I checked with the intention of calling a reasonable bet. Then I saw the RF, he bet, and I raised like 4 and a bit times his bet which was 75% of what was in the pot, didn't think I was getting called if I made it too big.
  • edited May 2012
    Yeah it's just (at least at this level) if he calls 90p he probz calls £1.40 plus not often u get nuts, but obvz not massive error just gotta try and eeck out value whenever possible ;)
  • edited May 2012
    qj hand, you should consider donking out here, esp vs fish you will get so much action imo, c/r is fine too, it just sick that he checks, as played i would c/r much bigger like £2.20, i think his calling range does not differ with sizing, meaning if he will call 90 he would call a bigger raise imo.

QQ hand, Vs unknown i think you played it well, when he click backs the flop its a bit of a "sigh" but you cant fold imo, turn check is fine, river is a fold. The board did run pretty bad for you tbf, vs majority of fish though i would want to get it in on that flop.
  • edited May 2012
    Got a decent session in tonight of 4tabling. I'd been a bit short on cards and short on hitting flops in my first few sessions, but tonight things finally seemed to be going my way again.

Today's Profit: +£23.61
    Monthly Profit: +£0.02

Finally back in the black, even if it is only 2p lol!

Poker Points: 141

There's 1 hand I wasn't sure about...

I dunno if this is a really nitty fold, didn't know anything about the opponent, hadn't been on the table for long, but think this is the first time I'd see him 3bet and it was a pretty big 3bet. I really didn't fancy flatting, hoping to hit and having to fold when he c-bets, but I figured if I 4bet and get it in, I was only ever gonna be flipping (as an underdog) in the best case scenario.   Thoughts?
    card_otter Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £6.60
    WAGGO31 Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £9.26
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • A

Lambert180 Raise   £0.30 £0.45 £10.62
    AZZO_66 Fold        
    BLUCHERBOY Fold        
    elpapagal Fold        
    card_otter Call   £0.25 £0.70 £6.35
    WAGGO31 Raise   £1.40 £2.10 £7.86
    Lambert180 Fold        
    card_otter Fold        
    WAGGO31 Muck        
    WAGGO31 Win   £0.90   £8.76
    WAGGO31 Return   £1.20 £0.00 £9.96
  • edited May 2012
    far to nitty folding ak in a tourney yeah but cash hardly ever people can rebuy i be looking to jam it here id 4 bet to around £3
  • edited May 2012
    you have premium hand and positon id prob just call the flop or 3 bet him pre, see what comes out and then see what he does then either c-bet if he checks but no way am i putting that down pre hes prob got a pk pair which is good or AQ,AJ which is even better no point in jamming pre there though.
  • edited May 2012
    I don't think it that bad a fold tbh.

Firstly you've raised UTG which is position of tightest range (presumably) and even with this he feels strong enough 3bet out of the blinds (the toughest positions to play post flop). Not only has he 3bet but it's 5x the original raise (again it's 10p plus £1.40 right ?), I realise someone else has flatted but it's still pretty hefty.

Flatting can't be an option as they'll be around £3.50 in the pot with both players having just over double that behind meaning 'play' is reduced quite a bit, if you miss.

If you 3bet it HAS to be to call off as 3bet bluffing with AK would be horrible. I'm not sure if you could just shove that would probz be overkill and take any chance of him bluffing away (still doubt he could with stack sizes), only called when in bad shape.

You mention not seeing him 3bet much but now he decides to do so in the conditions I mentioned above out of the blue, for me this just looks like a big hand wanting to get paid, yes he MIGHT have AQs but that's probz the best you can hope for. A lot of guys at NL10 are very rocky in general and just wait for monsters before commiting. 

Of course it varies and some are LAGGy and like to crush the tighter REGs but in that circumstance I'd think he'd be more inclined to 3bet smaller as if he knows you're very tight he can get his answer for as small as possible, raising this much is just a waste of chips if he is bluffing IMO as solid player most likely won't flat 3bets without good hands no matter what size they are.

Also dosn't matter about losing the chance to gather reads, you're on the table for more than 5 minutes right. so just keep an eye out for when he does it again and if it goes to showdown check it out, if he doesn't 3bet for the rest of the session you probably have your answer anuway;)
  • edited May 2012
    @ Donk, you say you're wanting to jam it in, then say I should 4bet to around £3 which is as good as a min-re-raise... what possible benefit is there from making that 4bet? If I 4bet jam, I get called by all the hands I don't wanna see, and make all the hands like AQ fold. And if I min-re-raise, I still probably fold out all the hands I wanna see, build a big pot when I have A-high which is likely to not be good here, and am just asking to get jammed on.

@ Dazler, you say it's good if he's got a pocket pair, but if he has he's the favourite, then when I call and miss (which I will 2 out of 3 times), he is almost always gonna c-bet after that massive 3bet and I can't call if I miss. On the flip side, if I do hit my card and he has an underpair, chances are I aint gonna get much/anything out of him anyway.

Not complaining about the input guys, I'm just explaining my thought process for folding.

And yeah Dude I completely agree with you.
  • edited May 2012
    readless it's a 4 bet jam

• edited May 2012
    readless it's a 4 bet jam
    Posted by rancid
    How often am I gonna get a fold here after that big of a 3bet? Because obviously I NEED to get folds to make it profitable when I'm gonna be flipping as the underdog nearly all the time.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 - A Journey Through Cash Games : How often am I gonna get a fold here after that big of a 3bet? Because obviously I NEED to get folds to make it profitable when I'm gonna be flipping as the underdog nearly all the time.
    Posted by Lambert180
    So lets say oppo calls and turns over a pair, ok your flipping -
    if you only 4 bet AA/KK then how do you expect to get paid ever ?
    I may sound a bit hyprocrital but if oppo is a random, and you are readless - it's a totally differant situation if a tight reg 3 bets you from the blinds - the same question, can you really lay down AK -
    Do we ever get folds from mid-high prs with a shove, do we want folds long term in this spot with hands we open from UTG
    Hand in a vacum you can say yeah I fold, feel good about it - but long term is this correct

What your image, someone that only 4 bets AA/KK

Don't think the fold is bad or good, depends on your image and what your trying to achieve
    4 betting this spot the same as holding QQ+ is ok too

Overall it's easier to find folds verus regs than randoms

I don't agree with folding and waiting for the spot to appear versus someone else where we can then make a note
    You have AK jam it, make note - move on

If we are rolled we can take these flips - be it pre or on the flop

• edited May 2012
    £2.10 dead money in there already remember..........

So if he has a pair, and never folds, it's £9 more to win £10 (7.80 + 2.10) . Bit above evens to compensate for us only being 46% :P

• edited May 2012
    Still think they fold sometimes, don't think the 3 bet is that big
    Would be nice to know if oppo 3 bet gets it in with JJ<
  • edited May 2012
    Also posted on the clinic thread.

I 4bet shove, worst case scenario is we're crushed, but most of the time, we end up getting useful information on our opponent when he calls with the weaker end of his range.

As others have said, I don't think the fold is terrible against some villains and it is one that I'll make from time to time, as well. Readless, I get it in and make notes for next time.
  • edited May 2012
    I don't think it that bad a fold tbh. Firstly you've raised UTG which is position of tightest range (presumably) and even with this he feels strong enough 3bet out of the blinds (the toughest positions to play post flop).
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    You go on about how nl4 players only look at their cards to the board and don't think about yours, yet give them credit to think abotut this?
  • edited May 2012
    Thanks for the input guys, I have taken it on board. I think part of the reason I made the decision was because I used to post loads of 4NL and 8NL hands in the clinic and I had quite a few comments on various different hands saying it seemed like I was being too gambly and was too up for a race. Even still, looking back, that was mighty nitty.

Anyway, got a really really quick session in tonight, cos I didn't get a chance to start playing til late and then it was just getting too late and I gotta be up in the morning. Was still 4 tabling though so still got a good few hands in. 4tabling is a breeze now, might consider moving to 5-6 in the next session or two.

Despite being a very short session, I still made a decent profit. Was getting a bit worried when I flopped bottom set and had it clicked back to me on the flop and turn, only to see this was how he plays TPTK :p

Today's Profit: +£9.89
    Monthly Profit: +£9.91

Had a go at the DYM laddering challenge earlier, got through the 30p and 60p pretty easy, then busted out of the £1.15 in a horrible spot... bit of limping pre I raise it right up to about 7x with AA, 2 callers. QTJ, don't really like the flop and as it's a DYM, I check to see what they do, small bet, I call, next card is another T and gives me a gutshot to the royal flush draw (and obv nut flush draw), river is another T to give me the best FH short of QQ or JJ, but it turns out he called my big raise pre with T9off :(

Things are on the up in the cash though :)
  • edited May 2012
    @ Donk, you say you're wanting to jam it in, then say I should 4bet to around £3 which is as good as a min-re-raise... what possible benefit is there from making that 4bet? If I 4bet jam, I get called by all the hands I don't wanna see, and make all the hands like AQ fold. And if I min-re-raise, I still probably fold out all the hands I wanna see, build a big pot when I have A-high which is likely to not be good here, and am just asking to get jammed on. @ Dazler, you say it's good if he's got a pocket pair, but if he has he's the favourite, then when I call and miss (which I will 2 out of 3 times), he is almost always gonna c-bet after that massive 3bet and I can't call if I miss. On the flip side, if I do hit my card and he has an underpair, chances are I aint gonna get much/anything out of him anyway. Not complaining about the input guys, I'm just explaining my thought process for folding. And yeah Dude I completely agree with you.
    Posted by Lambert180
    if he has pk pair you cant worry about that and fold truth is you dont know, thats why i said prob best to either call or 3 bet to take controll, depends on the texture of the flop so flatting him pre your still saying your strong by calling that amount anyway and you have postion if he has mid pk and over cards come he will prob play it safe and you can c-bet him, see what flop comes out make a decision based on that and if he c-bets you and you have outs for a st8 or you hit the A or K either reraise and if he comes back at you fold. Be brave but be sensible.
  • edited May 2012
    even thinking of folding ak in cash is bad tbh i wouldnt of posted it as u are now saying u are willing to lay down big hands if 3 -bet alot of players would love to sit on your table now like pingu im sure he 3 bet u for fun ;) 
  • edited May 2012
    even thinking of folding ak in cash is bad tbh i wouldnt of posted it as u are now saying u are willing to lay down big hands if 3 -bet alot of players would love to sit on your table now like pingu im sure he 3 bet u for fun ;) 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Well there's a number of points here.

1) I think it's unlikely Pingu is gonna be sitting at my table anytime soon.

2) Yes it was pretty weak but hence the post/discussion and thus can move forward, so next time someone 3bets me and I have AK, they may not be getting the same response.

3) I think it's pretty mental to say it's bad to ever consider folding AK in cash. It's completely opponent dependent and in this case, I had no notes and probably should have continued in the hand and got some. Pingu said himself in the thread in the clinic about this hand that he's folded AK pre in similar spots to this before. Am not saying he is 'all knowing' but I think it's pretty silly to say there is anything hand you should never consider folding pre, short of like KK/AA
  • edited May 2012
    You can sometimes fold ak, but never at nl10, 100bbs deep, in my opinion.

Even if his range is only AA, KK, QQ, AKs, AKo...which is the very top of his range, you still win 40 percent of the time against this range.

If you start adding other hands and air, things look better.
  • edited May 2012
    Thought I'd get a quick session in now. I can't really play the 6-7pm happy hour, cos with the two kids, that's like peak time for dinner/brushing teeth/pyjamas and all that jive. I've been trying to get on for the 11pm-midnight happy hour, and I thought I'd give the 1pm one a go, even though I thought it might be full of people who play 1 hand an hour but play 100 tables...

Was a bit of a struggle to get on any 10NL at first to be honest, got on a few waiting lists, there were  few I didn't bother with, ones with like 4 regs sat on them and 1 guy with £3. Eventually managed to get up and running with 4 tables. Fairly happy with the session, slightly down in the end, but that was down to a lost flip all in pre for 100BB with JJ (perhaps a bit TOO gambly now lol). So was a BI down from that, but managed to win 3/4 of that back through bits and bobs.

Today's Profit: -£2.57
    Monthly Profit: +£7.34

Poker Points: 177

Will be aiming to get another session in tonight as well, probably sometime around the late night happy hour
  • edited May 2012
    Agree with you Lambert, dont think youre doing much wrong folding AK against a lot of regs. I've been in this spot so many times, in say BB with AK against btn raiser - after getting 4-bet and thinking they cant really have AA/KK can they !!!????  but they always do...
  • edited May 2012
    @Rancid - That hand where you made it 30p, then I made it £1.20, you went £2.55, I flatted IP then you jammed your last £5 on KJx flop, dya mind telling me what you had? I had QQ and couldn't see anything I was beating when you played like that.
  • edited May 2012
    Just got in a nice 2hr session and was 5tabling for the first time (at 10NL). Very up and down, lost a BI early by getting QQ in pre v AA. I got AA in that session literally more times than I can remember but then I was 5tabling so hey ho.

Today's Profit: -£7.17
    Monthly Profit: +£0.17

Poker Points: 237

So I'm up a massive 17p so far, but I've only played about 5-6 sessions and I think I was making some serious mistakes in my first couple of sessions, which I think I've cut out now. At least I'm half way there to getting half a BI in C4P lol.