You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.

edited April 2015 in Poker Chat
So I've been thinking of starting a diary for a little while.  I've been less active on forums for the last couple of months, didn't mean to, just had actual real life stuff to sort.  I'll probably go into that later on if this thread takes.

The plan is for this to be half poker, half life.  Please feel free to post what you like in here.

My goal is to get back to being more involved in the Clinic, as well as sorting out my game.  But more importantly, just have some fun :)

Non Poker fact, am I the only on who thought that Goodylad's forum avatar was a picture of Garfield the Cat rather than a pixilated girl in a bikini.  Seriously, I didn't notice for years.

Poker stuff, the head scratcher of the day, hand history is posted below.  Young Mr Rolfus, if you had anything other than J8 you have completely done me Sir, very well played.  Feel free to berate me all.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
TommyD Small blind  £0.50 £0.50 £244.34
rolfus Big blind  £1.00 £1.50 £205.65
C3PA Big blind  £1.00 £2.50 £115.44
 Your hole cards

C3PA Check     
jimmynoleg Fold     
TheyDontNo Fold     
TommyD Call  £0.50 £3.00 £243.84
rolfus Check     
Flop

TommyD Check     
rolfus Bet  £6.00 £9.00 £199.65
C3PA Fold     
TommyD Call  £6.00 £15.00 £237.84
Turn

TommyD Check     
rolfus Bet  £10.00 £25.00 £189.65
TommyD Raise  £25.00 £50.00 £212.84
rolfus Raise  £55.00 £105.00 £134.65
TommyD Call  £40.00 £145.00 £172.84
River

• A

TommyD Check     
rolfus All-in  £134.65 £279.65 £0.00
TommyD Fold     
rolfus Muck     
rolfus Win  £143.20  £143.20
rolfus Return  £134.65

Comments

• edited February 2012
    I thought it was Garfield for the first few times, but then I saw the truth!
  • edited February 2012
    When you call the turn 3 bet what are you plans?

Don't see why you call the turn if you are folding the river to a shove, hoping for a check behind maybe?
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.:
    When you call the turn 3 bet what are you plans? Don't see why you call the turn if you are folding the river to a shove, hoping for a check behind maybe?
    Posted by NColley
    Planning to call.  Then when having a quick tank facing the river shove I realise it was unraised pre, I had a blindspot moment on the flop and turn regarding this.  It makes J8 much more likely.  It was a snap shove on the river and while I know Rolfus is capable of bluffing I think I've turned my 8 face up.

Basically I've levelled myself, I've flatted on the turn to let Rolfus bluff the river and then folded to the shove.  In other words, I've probably butchered it, even if he did have J8.
  • edited February 2012
    Finally, been waiting for this...Only need Jakally to start a diary now and I will be happy. 

Couple of questions... 

What brought you into the Poker world? Was it due to your mathamatical mind?

What got you into to teaching? 

Who is your life time hero? Sky poker hero? World wide poker player hero? 

I have loads more questions but that will do for now. 
  • edited February 2012
    I thought it was Garfield for the first few times, but then I saw the truth!
    Posted by Poker_Fail
    It was years dude.  Years.

Irony is I preferred it when I thought it was Garfield....
  • edited February 2012
    I know what you mean about "real stuff" getting in the way of poker.

It can be hard to get back into it some times but GL with the diary. It should help

MP
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : It was years dude.  Years. Irony is I preferred it when I thought it was Garfield....
    Posted by TommyD
    I must admit, I also thought it was Garfield up until 2 minutes ago when I checked. 
  • edited February 2012
    Only dairy ill be reading, far too many of these low stakes diarys on forum imo, and just fold flop, atleast u realised it was limped pre and saved yaself some money, so easy to do wen playing aloda tables, he had j8 100%
  • edited February 2012
    why we he bet double pot on the flop with the nuts??

Couldnt fold but thats maybe why i suck
  • edited February 2012
    Only dairy ill be reading, far too many of these low stakes diarys on forum imo, and just fold flop, atleast u realised it was limped pre and saved yaself some money, so easy to do wen playing aloda tables, he had j8 100%
    Posted by CrazyBen23
    and what makes a low stakes diary any less significant might i ask? quite a snobbish remark imo
  • edited February 2012
    why we he bet double pot on the flop with the nuts?? Couldnt fold but thats maybe why i suck
    Posted by PiAnOpLaYa
    Me 2 Andrew. Me too.
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : and what makes a low stakes diary any less significant might i ask? quite a snobbish remark imo
    Posted by waller02
    I'm still a mid-stake player but the higher the stakes the more interesting it is.

Imagine if the poker tehy showed on channel 4 late at night was for pennies? Nobody would watch it.
    Also, take a look at the hand he posted in the OP, that is FAR less standard then any hand that will be seen at lower limits.
  • edited February 2012
    All the dairies are from low stakes people, which is why i said that, should be a seperate section, ocming in here and seeing 10 dairies about how they folding kings in their 1pound dyms only to end up crashing out is bloody grim
  • edited February 2012
    people have diaries for the exact same reason as this one, to try and improve their game and maybe get some advice. what stakes they play is irrelevant, in fact a big portion of the people on the forum ARE low stakes players.

fair enough they bore you, don't read them, but to come out with a comment like that comes across as patronising and rude. perhaps us measly low stakes players should check with you before posting our tedious threads?????
  • edited February 2012
    Finally, been waiting for this...Only need Jakally to start a diary now and I will be happy.  Couple of questions...  What brought you into the Poker world? Was it due to your mathamatical mind? What got you into to teaching?  Who is your life time hero? Sky poker hero? World wide poker player hero?  I have loads more questions but that will do for now. 
    Posted by dylan12
    Disappointed it took you so long to post mate ;)

My entrance into poker was pretty odd.  Aside from a game of strip poker with three Gay men, my at the time girlfriend and a random Dope smoking Italian on a wet night back at Uni, I didn't start playing poker until just after the Raymer Main Event win, and even then I didn't mean to.

I had watched Late Night Poker with my dad, an avid card player, gambler, degen before they had a word for it.  Enjoyed it, kind of understood it but never played.  Then my father wanted to play online poker as on of his favourite betting exchange sites has a poker room as well.  One problem, he was a complete techno-novice.  He's better now but I had to teach him everything from the on switch to what a mouse does.  As a result he had to actually teach me poker so I could show him what to do.  All very inadvertent but I got bit by the bug and have been playing ever since.

I'll save the road into teaching for another time, long story that and I'm mid grind :)

My poker hero is the late great Chip Reese.  Simply put, he got it, the beats, the binks, the highs and the lows, he understood and more importantly kept it all in perspective.

Really got to think about the other questions mate, I will answer them though :)
  • edited February 2012
    Hey TommyD/people,

Coxylboro told me that there was a hand with me involved on the forum. Guess there isn't much to say other than what hand I had.... 82dd

Look forward to reading further entries to your diary and hopefully don't keep getting stacked when playin you HU :)
  • edited February 2012
    Ben has (typically) been a little blunt with his remarks but I echo his sentiment that this will make a very interesting departure from the usual zero to two hundred quid diary. Think we can all only learn and improve from one of this sites better players thoughts and experiences.

First hand up is a belter and for what it's worth I also can only find a fold here.
  • edited February 2012

i must be one of very few ppl who know nothing about you but it looks decent so far so i'll prob follow...well, until a really good nl8 diary comes along :)

i'm a teacher so would be interested in that too.

gl

• edited February 2012
    Will be interested to follow the thread of a more accomplished player such as yourself. I assume you aint gonna want to be posting your bankroll but will you be posting profit/loss at all?

How long have you been playing?

Where did you start out (in terms of what format you played and what stakes)?

Did you run good at the start with really bad BRM or did you make a decent deposit and start with good BRM?
  • edited February 2012
    How you deal with Downswings Tommy

@Crazyben
    Why do you feel the need to tell everyone what you don't like
    Maybe you should start your own diary.

"Crazyben's Grim Diary"

Eat some weetabix, it was grim
    Read the paper, it was grim
    Went for walk, it was grim
    Had a poo, yeah it was grim

----_

• edited February 2012
    Hey TommyD/people, Coxylboro told me that there was a hand with me involved on the forum. Guess there isn't much to say other than what hand I had.... 82dd Look forward to reading further entries to your diary and hopefully don't keep getting stacked when playin you HU :)
    Posted by rolfus
    Thank you very much for the reply Rolfus and very nicely played.  I blame my grandpappy for that one, he always said never call for a chop.  Looking back at the hand 8Xdd is certainly another consideration I didn't take account of at the time.  Must improve my thinking when multi tabling, don't want to be a button clicker.
  • edited February 2012
    Presumably Rolfus is happy to take down the pot on the flop hence the 2xpot bet - that would have made me think that it was a chop on the river.  I also think Rolfus had a good idea that it was a chop, and so shoved to get you off.  I wd be interested to hear more from Rolfus on this.  I am not a successful cash player so prob barking up the wrong parked car.
  • edited February 2012
    It will get followed more as the majority of diarys have been from low stakes players such a s myself, but still think there can be a lot to learn from them and as Waller says if you find it boring then don,t read it

It seems a quite recent thing and think there may be a case for a seperate section on the forum for diarys.

I don,t want to start a debate on Tommys own thread about this but hope Bens comments don,t put the low stakes players and newer players off from starting or updating there own diarys

MP
  • edited February 2012
    Took your time!!

xx
  • edited February 2012
    I have a question for TommyD...

I know you like to keep some parts of your life private, but how long did it take for you to set up your very successful website?

How hard was it?
  • edited February 2012
    I have a question for TommyD... I know you like to keep some parts of your life private, but how long did it take for you to set up your very successful website? How hard was it?
    Posted by splashies
    Ewwwwwwww, I regret the day google was invented!
  • edited February 2012
    Will be interested to follow the thread of a more accomplished player such as yourself. I assume you aint gonna want to be posting your bankroll but will you be posting profit/loss at all? How long have you been playing? Where did you start out (in terms of what format you played and what stakes)? Did you run good at the start with really bad BRM or did you make a decent deposit and start with good BRM?
    Posted by Lambert180
    Hey Lambert

Very much doubt I'll ever post details of my roll, just silly information to give away IMO.  May do profit/loss bits and pieces but these will probably be sporadic at best.

I've been playing seven or eight years.  I started with micro cash and $5 SnGs.

I used to have awful BRM.  I'm only a recreational player so it was more of a budget than a bankroll in the early days.  I'd bink a little here and there, blow up a little later.  Sadly the bad BRM usually revolved around Blackjack.  Luckily I don't play that anymore, haven't played a hand of onlie Blackjack in years and feel a lot richer because of it.
  • edited February 2012
    How you deal with Downswings Tommy
    Posted by rancid
    I look beyond them and look at myself.  The only thing you can change is your own play, the rest will happen outside of your control.

The most important thing is for you to be very honest with yourself, not just about your play but about your mental ability to cope with the swings of poker.  Casper Berry, formerly of this Parish and Byker Grove once said on 865, while working as an expert, that he had quit playing serious poker because he couldn't deal mentally with the nuisances of doing everything correct on many occasions but still losing money in those individual spots.  I always thought this was incredibly brave as most people who can't deal with the facts like a fifth of the time you will lose with Aces versus Jacks just denial up.

First and foremost you should be playing for fun.  If it's no fun anymore, stop.
  • edited February 2012
    I have a question for TommyD... I know you like to keep some parts of your life private, but how long did it take for you to set up your very successful website? How hard was it?
    Posted by splashies
    Congratulations for squeezing in 'long' and 'hard' in your question.  You are now the reigning Carry On Quiz Master.

To answer, some days felt longer than others, and if it wasn't hard then it wouldn't be worth it.
  • edited February 2012

Ah the Bridesmaid month continues.  Just finished 38th in the Big $11 MTT from that other site everyone knows.  Beat over 10,000 runners and win just under $200.  Not to sound ungrateful because $200 might as well be a lottery win if you're skint, but I've had a few of these finishes on that site this month.  I'm falling in the run up to the big money and it is beginning to get irksome.  Sigh, tomorrow's another day Scarlet.

Thank you all for the positive feedback about this thread.

Regarding CrazyBen Versus Waller, I really don't want to get involved.  I like and enjoy reading a few of the low stakes diaries.  However Ben wasn't blasting those diaries on those threads, in fact he wasn't blasting at all, he was just very blunt with his opinion and as such I don't think he deserved getting rounded on.

As far as I'm concerned anyone who wants to do a diary should do one.  And anyone who wants to read them should, if you don't want to then that's fine too.