You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.

Comments

• edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.:
    Enjoying this Tommy, keep it going and I'm sure it will be well worth the effort. Couple of questions, one poker, one random. What poker goals / aspirations have you got for the next 12 months? Favourite 3 movies of all time?
    Posted by jakally
    Hey Jakally, thanks for the kind words.

Apart from the somewhat pithy but no less true answer to finally win a hand against you at the cash table, I'd have to say my real goal is to bring my standard at all formats of the game up together.  It's been stated elsewhere but i really worked at my MTT game last year.  Sadly I feel like a cartoon charecter on a rowing boat cast away on the high seas.  The rowing boat has four holes in it but I only have three corks.  Everytime I fix one leak another one pops up.  My cash game has suffered from my focus on MTTs, there is no sense in denying it.  I need to make serious adjustments, some pretty basic.  Looking at the month so far I'm well ahead at NL100, beating but by no means crushing NL200 and getting spanked to the tune of 7 Buy ins at NL300.  This is by no means a crisis but a healthy reminder to work hard, at least I'm pretty sure I know what I have to look at.  I would like to fix this without my MTT game falling apart again.

The movie question is harder but I'd have to say:

The Hustler
    Glory
    The Verdict
  • edited February 2012
    Great Read, will defo be following: i also had near miss on stars storm 56/30k+ runners so frustrating when its very top heavy but still a bonus it was :)  Due to the nature and swings of MTT's how many buy ins would you recommend? for a recreational player but wants to build there roll. If you had one bit of advice about tourneys what would it be?  I also on sky Mains lately seem to be running deep but either bubble or min cash, partly due to bad beat but obviously there maybe errors, is there anything you think this could be down to? I usually get a stack and always go for the win Good luck mate!
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    Hey YG, sorry this took a bit of time to get to.

MTT buy ins are a hard one to gauge.  If you're only playing 5k+ runner events like the Bigs, the Biggers and specials like the Storms you probably need 300+ BIs.  If I was only playing these as a recreational player I would seriously consider going to a budget rather than bankroll until the if/when of a big bink happened.  They are just so swongy.  For the more standard MTTs 1k-5k I would adjust this, probably look at 100-200 buy ins.

If we're talking Sky MTTs where the field sizes are generally even lower I would go to the very minimum of 75 average buy ins, however this would not be without risk.

If you just play turbos you probably can add at least 50% to the numbers, maybe double them.

One bit of advice?  Pick a roadmap and know where on the map you are.  If you are down to 20BB understand you are a reshove stack now and adjust you open and reshove range accordingly.  If you got an early double understand that you can't win it now and that untempered bullying will just send you out, you are now in a great position to pick and choose where and when you want to play, a chance we don't always get in MTTs when the autopilot hands come.
  • edited February 2012
    hand 1... well, must be nice being tommyd. hand 2 lol at jibbz's c/min raise, id lol and snap fold
  • edited February 2012
    yeah hand two is a fold
  • edited February 2012
    on the turn...
  • edited February 2012

To Ben and Nick, yes there is an argument for folding the turn, I obviously thought I was in trouble hence the river fold.  I'd counter that by saying don't you think folding here makes us pretty exploitable?  I mean, any decent player watching would scout that and think that for pretty much the minimum risk they can take me off all but the very narrowest of ranges here.  Plus IMO there was a small chance I was ahead.  Plus I still could catch another King, was surprised when that didn't happen, must have been a software error.

• edited February 2012

Stunning Diary-age Tommy, thank you.

This Diary is EXACTLY what I think these Diaries should be like - a bit of everything - life, poker, hobbies, a really eclectic range.

Well presented, too, with paragraphs, line breaks, & punctuation, which might seem obvious or condescending, but many do not bother, & it makes them VERY hard to read, a badly presented wall of unpunctuated text makes eyes bleed. It takes just a little effort, but we write Diaries so that others will read them, & they are more likely to read them if they are well-presented. Just a fact of life. If anyone wants some help with this, just ask Tommy or I, we would both be delighted to help.

Most important of all, your Posts generate a lot of questions, & you answer every one - VERY important, that.

It is nothing to do with being a "big" player, not at all, big or small, a well-presented Diary makes a fun read, but there are some things that make them more-readable & durable, & this diary has the lot. 
  • edited February 2012

Incidentally Tommy, as you may know from here & elsewhere, unless I am actually forced to at gunpoint, I never, ever ever, Post, or even read Hand-Histories, I'd rather go to a Max Clifford Appreciation Society meeting in a dark & empty room. I have, in fact, never Posted a HH in my life, that I can recall, & I've been around poker forums a while. I only ever read them if I am forced to, too, life is too short, but many do like, & enjoy them.

However, I do think it is important to set in context James Atkin's comments last night. I have no plans to defend them, none at all, but I thought my role was to make him aware, via a mini profile, of your abilities & poker CV. After that, it was up to him to analyse things as he saw fit.

PS - fine fold with the A-K. I doubt many can make that fold. (A-K v 7-7, Board 10-7-10-A-K) Winning can sometimes be about folding.
  • edited February 2012
    Thanks Tommy, yeah i was mainly talking about sky MTT's

Good bit of advice aswell as i nearly always get a stack early on but think i go OTT on the aggression sometimes, within reason (would be my excuse lol). 

WP hand 1, hand 2 is always a fold vs jibbz, maybe on turn or river idk id prob do the same as you. 

Enjoying this diary alot still.

Cheers 
    John
  • edited February 2012
    Hey Tommy, Loving the diary....is well rounded.

I think you could fold the AK on the turn as well but lets face it most of us aren't. What would you have done with just a Ten? Pray for spew/chop?

Cheers, Tom
  • edited February 2012
    Thanks for the lovely comments everyone, it's very much appreciated. I will be addressing everything that happened last night at some point today. Personally I think there are numerous interesting elements and I hope you do too, at least enough to get a good discussion going.

However as I said yesterday I want to look at the Daniel Negreanu Video Blog as it has caused a decent amount of commotion. Just to clear up one point, at no point do I think I am an authority on this subject and I'm sure Daniel, Howard Lederer, Chris Ferguson et al couldn't care less about my opinions on the topic, this is just a diary post to prompt decent discussion on the Sky Poker Forum regarding a relevant news story. Nothing more, nothing less.

I've watched the VBlog a few times now and I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand Daniel is expressing views that to a certain extent most people feel towards those responsible for the Full Tilt poker debacle. I would have phrased it differently certainly, but if someone who has had thousands of dollars disappear on Full Tilt goes crazy and hurts those responsible I could understand why they had done it. I would never condone it and would hope the authorities would punish the person appropriately, I don't want it to happen but I would understand why it had happened.

On the other hand Daniel has rather painted himself in a corner with these comments. TV shows like Poker After Dark, High Stakes Poker etc may never return, but if they did and somehow the likes Lederer and Ferguson appear on them, people who Daniel regard to be responsible for the Full Tilt mess (although for legal reasons I don't until they are proven to be in a Court of Law), then it's very difficult for Daniel to sit on the same table as them, laugh and joke with them without appearing to be completely hypocritical. I doubt Lederer will ever appear again on these kinds of shows but Ferguson is a possibility.

Also Daniel's comments are somewhat skewed with the well known feud between him and the Lederer siblings Howard and Annie Duke. Any opinion he has about Lederer and the Full Tilt mess is forever tainted with the fact that Daniel and Duke have had very public slanging matches. No matter how valid his opinion is on this matter, the perception of it will always be 'Daniel's only laying into him because they don't like each other, if it was someone else Daniel wouldn't be anywhere near as harsh.'

Daniel is in no way encouraging someone to bash Howard in the groin with a baseball bat. However he has to learn that he's a celebrity now, and celebrities have some exceptionally kooky fans. I don't expect it to happen but I wouldn't be shocked if a person of questionable mental stability actually tried to do this and claimed it was for Daniel.  Daniel has to accept that while it makes no rational sense, his words on a subject can have more effect because of the cult of celebrity.

Well I've appear to gone 3-1 against Daniel in points so let's redress this a little with my final comment.  It was asked on the 'Chat Box' show last night 'Who does this help?'  How this helps is by keeping it in the public eye.  I would have done it differently but the Full Tilt mess needs to stay in the poker community consciousness until those responsible are held to account (which in my opinion will be long after a deal is made for the players who are still after their money).  So many times we as a community and our society as a whole get outraged and then forget.  I cite the example of the Crossbow Cannibal.

Man kills women, eats their bodies, gets caught and at his very first hearing answers his name as 'The Crossbow Cannibal.'  Nation outraged, 24hr news is all over it, everyone wants to see justice done.  A couple of days later Derrick Bird goes on a gun rampage, murdering several people.  A week or two after that Raul Moat kills a man, nearly kills two more and hides in a sewer for days. Thinking back, I was outraged by the Crossbow Cannibal, but for the life of me I have no idea if he's had a trial, if he's been sentenced or anything else about the case.  Because it dropped out of public eye.

Now I'm not comparing the Full Tilt Suits to murderers, I'm merely saying that if this drops from public view, deals will be done, hands will shake and those who have caused grief and damage to a vast amount of people in our community will get off very lightly indeed.  You may think this can never happen because of the enormity of the issue.  You would be very surprised what you can forget about, especially when a deal between the players owed cash and the new FTP is done.  And for keeping it in the public eye, albeit in a rather clumsy fashion, Daniel should be commended.
  • edited February 2012

Pretty much agree with a lot of that, Tommy.

A difficult subject, this.

As I have reiterated numerous times, I hold Daniel in high professional regard, I can barely think of a better Site Pro, he is awesome.

However, I think his tone was out of line, & wrong. And yes, his long running feud with Annie & Howard is in there somewhere.
  • edited February 2012
    And to lighter things (for me at least, feel free to comment at any time on anything said previously, that's how it should be), FOOTBALL!!!!

After dropping several senior players last night, AVB's Chelsea lose the first leg of their Champions League Tie with Napoli 3-1.  In other news Roman Abramovich is planning to build a holiday home for himself in the Chelsea Training ground.  Probably.

I feel for AVB, the guy has been contracted to carry out a five year project.  That was always going to be tricky but when most of the Senior players (who have arguably had a hand in the resignation/sacking in three of the previous four managers) know they are not likely to be part of this project, it is near impossible.  Roman needs to invest.  A lot.  Although I think it's more likely that the only investment will be in the pay off for AVB.
  • edited February 2012
    To Ben and Nick, yes there is an argument for folding the turn, I obviously thought I was in trouble hence the river fold.  I'd counter that by saying don't you think folding here makes us pretty exploitable?  I mean, any decent player watching would scout that and think that for pretty much the minimum risk they can take me off all but the very narrowest of ranges here.  Plus IMO there was a small chance I was ahead.  Plus I still could catch another King, was surprised when that didn't happen, must have been a software error.
    Posted by TommyD
    Against anyone who did something other than nut pedal yeah, its jibbz, he calls pre and on that flop with only different 4 hands.
  • edited February 2012
    Tommy, I've seen you say on the forum & 865 that you only play cash levels you are rolled for & are comfotable buying in for the maximum at the table (even when it's a 200/250xbb table)

Often though I see you playing maybe 60/70/80xbb stacks, having bought in for the max then lost a few pots............

On rare occasions you continue with stacks around 40/50xbb also....

Obviously it's not because you are underolled/uncomfortable, & it's not just a case of forgetting to top up because you continue to play on.....

Is there a reason why sometimes you don't top up your stack?
  • edited February 2012
    It's come to my attention that my mother has started to read my diary.

Hi Mum!

• edited February 2012
    Nice start to the diary look forward to reading more.  Just a quick question what is you favorite form of poker ie, NLHE, PLO, Cash, MTT etc
    Posted by hawk7112
    Hawky!!!

Sorry this took me a bit, I need a system :)

My favourite form of poker is actually Limit Badugi Cash.  It's not exactly a popular game but I love it because in this game more than any other you can use position both ways.  You can bluff (what is called 'snowing' in this game and other lowball draw games) either side of the person or people you are playing, you just need to know how and who.  To 'Snow' is to stand pat, or not draw a card, in an effort to make people break their marginal made hand thinking you now have them crushed.

For those that don't know, Badugi is a four card triple draw rainbow suit low ball game.  Clear now?
  • edited February 2012
    Hey Tommy, Loving the diary....is well rounded. I think you could fold the AK on the turn as well but lets face it most of us aren't. What would you have done with just a Ten? Pray for spew/chop? Cheers, Tom
    Posted by rolfus
    If I had something like JT/QT?  Pray does indeed come to mind.  Replay the action up until the min check raise and I hold JT.  So blooming tough, I can see me spewing here.  Jibbz is tight, however my image of him is not as tight as everyone else who has posted.  I could well be the one who's wrong.  Assuming I don't spew jam the turn which would be completely owning myself, I would be betting for value but I'm not sure what I'm getting value from.  I think I can just fold the river.  Or put him on T9 and stack off.  Probably just stack off.

There was so much strength in the betting and speed I might, just might find a fold.  Or spew.
  • edited February 2012
    Tommy, I've seen you say on the forum & 865 that you only play cash levels you are rolled for & are comfotable buying in for the maximum at the table (even when it's a 200/250xbb table) Often though I see you playing maybe 60/70/80xbb stacks, having bought in for the max then lost a few pots............ On rare occasions you continue with stacks around 40/50xbb also.... Obviously it's not because you are underolled/uncomfortable, & it's not just a case of forgetting to top up because you continue to play on..... Is there a reason why sometimes you don't top up your stack?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Good question JJ.  It's half laziness and half a safety valve.

The safety issue is I like to spend a few hands after a few bad pots considering if I was the fault for the mistake and if the loss has affected me.  A decent time ago I used to go chasing for money as soon as I took a slap on the table which just compounded the misfortune, a form of lairy play tilt consumed me.  A habit I got into was just taking a few hands before reloading, it's a usual practise in live play, you'll see people have a little steam after losing half of their stack and the smart ones relax for an orbit then call for chips.  The not so smart would reload to the max and announce all in at some point in the next hand.

The laziness issue is if I continue to play with 40/50 BB for more than five minutes or so.  I may be multi tabling a ton and as i record every penny i invest I may glance at the stack and think 'can't be bothered to top up yet, got to sort out the spreadsheet, change that, I've got X amount of other games rolling, I'll just get a cheap double and continue.'  It's pretty -ev on the whole, although if you play short you can get either called wider or stacks in easier for that cheap double.

I'm never at a table where I am not comfortable to load to the max at any point.
  • edited February 2012
    'Garfield the Cat' pfffffttttt

Just thought i would post so people can see what you mean regarding your OP :)

• edited February 2012
    Tommy,

Do you play poker as a pro, or do you teach full time or freelance or something else....

Just wondering...........

curious.....

All da best

• edited February 2012
    there are many people on this site who have information i need and want to read. there are fewer people willing to share that information, and there is only a handful who can put it across in a way that is not "condescending, patronising, elitist and painful to read" you sir are, are one of the handful!!  great read, phil
  • edited February 2012
    Tommy,  Do you play poker as a pro, or do you teach full time or freelance or something else.... Just wondering........... curious..... All da best
    Posted by rancid
    Teach full time but I've been a little unwell this week so I've been grinding and posting during the day.  Poker is just a fun sideline for me :)
  • edited February 2012
    there are many people on this site who have information i need and want to read. there are fewer people willing to share that information, and there is only a handful who can put it across in a way that is not "condescending, patronising, elitist and painful to read" you sir are, are one of the handful!!  great read, phil
    Posted by pod1
    Very kind Phil, much appreciated Sir.
  • edited February 2012
    First and foremost you should be playing for fun. If it's no fun anymore, stop.

Tommy the above sums up poker for me,i have written something pretty similar in my profile.I am enjoying your mix of poker and life and look forward to reading more.
  • edited February 2012
    Hi Interesting Diary, just wondering what's your way of withdrawing your profits since you play quite high volume. Do you just have a set bankroll eg £5000 and anything above that after the week/month you withdraw?

Also if you do use this method what do you do if you have a big downswings just drop down the levels or deposit and continue as normal. Always interested in this to compare to myself as I just seem to withdraw after each session in fear of losing the money later.

Thanks Ryan
  • edited February 2012
    excellent scribing tommy, i'll be tuning in daily!

best high & worst low on the tables if you don't mind pls
  • edited February 2012
    First and foremost you should be playing for fun. If it's no fun anymore, stop. Tommy the above sums up poker for me,i have written something pretty similar in my profile.I am enjoying your mix of poker and life and look forward to reading more.
    Posted by Spikelad
    Cheers Spikelad, I honestly do appreciate all feedback, both encouraging and constructive.
  • edited February 2012
    Hi Interesting Diary, just wondering what's your way of withdrawing your profits since you play quite high volume. Do you just have a set bankroll eg £5000 and anything above that after the week/month you withdraw? Also if you do use this method what do you do if you have a big downswings just drop down the levels or deposit and continue as normal. Always interested in this to compare to myself as I just seem to withdraw after each session in fear of losing the money later. Thanks Ryan
    Posted by Knowles001
    Hey Ryan

I take out money when I want to treat myself, invest some in savings, or if the GF has convinced me to buy her some Ugg Boots.  I'm a recreational player so I don't have a set bankroll, I just take money out as and when I need/want it.

I don't deposit on a downswing, I drop down.  I've tinkered with my BRM so much over the years, and I expect this to continue through the years to be honest.  I generally move into a level if and when I make it to 60 buyins for that level (I say move into rather than move up, I don't stop playing the levels I am already beating until I'm very comfortable higher and regularly beating those games, you can't forget about your base otherwise a downswing will really hurt you).  I have to drop down if I drop to 40 buyins.

I've never understood people not using a range like this.  Some people will say 'you need a bankroll of 50 buyins for a level' but to my mind that says you have to drop down if you lose your first one.  When giving advice no one really ever sets move up, move down limits together, then again maybe I'm missing something.

So yeah, I'd advise a 60/40 rule but I'm not a pro, I'm a recreational player.  If I was a pro I would tighten this right up.

Never be scared about losing money later on, mainly because you will.  You'll lose plenty of hands and have plenty of losing sessions, I know I do.  No point being scared.
  • edited February 2012
    Hi Tommy you mentioned on the thread I started about Negraneaus video blog that you had talked about it on your diary.  Daniel's comments about a guy with a baseball bat were a bit too strong but he has stood by them and like he says if it's going to happen it will. With regards to you saying he has painted himself into a corner with his comments about Lederer and Ferguson suggests that it has backfired on him, but  I don't think it has. Daniel has such high standards and principles that he would never dream of playing with these two again so I don't think he will look at it like that at all. Personally I can't see the situation arising as I think both Lederer and Ferguson will disappear from our TV screens.
    With regard to Lederer's silence since Black Friday he's absolutely spot on and asking what thousands of players want answers to.
    BTW you diary looks very interesting and a bit different from the standard "This is what I won or lost today". i#ll give it a full read when I have time.