You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.

Comments

• edited February 2012
    Ok one last entry before bed-e-bys.

This hand is why I love PLO.  It's just just gorgeously gross at times.  The moral here is if you have the nuts it's always nice to also hold the nut redraw blockers.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    TommyD Small blind  £1.00 £1.00 £318.00
    Big blind  £2.00 £3.00 £201.70
     Your hole cards
    • J
    • K
    • Q
    • J

TommyD Raise  £4.00 £7.00 £314.00
    Raise  £12.00 £19.00 £189.70
    TommyD Call  £9.00 £28.00 £305.00
    Flop

• J
    • Q
    • J

Check     
    TommyD Check     
    Turn

• K

Bet  £28.00 £56.00 £161.70
    TommyD Raise  £56.00 £112.00 £249.00
    All-in  £161.70 £273.70 £0.00
    TommyD Call  £133.70 £407.40 £115.30
    TommyD Show
    • J
    • K
    • Q
    • J

Show
    • K
    • K

River

• Q

TommyD Win Four Jacks £406.40
  • edited February 2012

Just so everyone knows.......

Sky Poker want to encourage ALL Diaries, from ALL Levels.

Not everyone likes every Diary, but they all have merits.

I have kept an Online Diary elsewhere for years, & it is very theraupautic, & helps me (try to) write better. I would encourage anyone to do the same.  

• edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.:
    Finally, been waiting for this...Only need tikay to start a diary now and I will be happy.  Couple of questions...  What brought you into the Poker world? Was it due to your mathamatical mind? What got you into to teaching?  Who is your life time hero? Sky poker hero? World wide poker player hero?  I have loads more questions but that will do for now. 
    Posted by dylan12
    FYP. You deserve that for the cruel rub you gave me on my Diary yesterday.

1-1.
  • edited February 2012

Morning all

Feeling a bit dickie at the moment, nothing serious but enough if I describe it to turn you off your cornflakes so we won't go there.  On the plus side I can have a bit of day time grinding.

Just had this hand go off at that big site.  What do you think of the winner's decision to call pre?  I'm torn between it being madness and genius.  This is not a bad beat post, this guy is getting great odds, very unlikely to be dominated and of course is soooooooooted.  Then again it's 5 high and is likely to be facing an overpair.  Is this a call with 20bb and a chance to at least triple up I should be making?

Tournament #561011322, $15.00+$1.50 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level IX (75/150) - 2012/02/21 5:12:02 ET
    Table '561011322 18' 9-max Seat #4 is the button
    Seat 1: Hero (10585 in chips)
    Seat 2: dmonch (6586 in chips)
    Seat 3: Jerman027 (7060 in chips)
    Seat 4: Afcaantje84 (3153 in chips)
    Seat 5: shakall76 (4943 in chips)
    Seat 6: DancerRzn (1648 in chips)
    Seat 7: goapaa (3078 in chips)
    Seat 8: bugiaso (5619 in chips)
    Seat 9: givewhatucan (3820 in chips)
    Hero: posts the ante 20
    dmonch: posts the ante 20
    Jerman027: posts the ante 20
    Afcaantje84: posts the ante 20
    shakall76: posts the ante 20
    DancerRzn: posts the ante 20
    goapaa: posts the ante 20
    bugiaso: posts the ante 20
    givewhatucan: posts the ante 20
    shakall76: posts small blind 75
    DancerRzn: posts big blind 150
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to Hero [Ah As]
    goapaa: raises 150 to 300
    bugiaso: calls 300
    givewhatucan: raises 300 to 600
    Hero: raises 9965 to 10565 and is all-in
    dmonch: folds
    Jerman027: folds
    Afcaantje84: calls 3133 and is all-in
    shakall76: folds
    DancerRzn: folds
    goapaa: calls 2758 and is all-in
    bugiaso: folds
    givewhatucan: calls 3200 and is all-in
    Uncalled bet (6765) returned to Hero
    *** FLOP *** [5d 4s 6h]
    *** TURN *** [5d 4s 6h] [Jh]
    *** RIVER *** [5d 4s 6h Jh] [2h]
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    givewhatucan: shows [Tc Th] (a pair of Tens)
    Hero: shows [Ah As] (a pair of Aces)
    Hero collected 1334 from side pot-2
    Afcaantje84: shows [5h 3h] (a flush, Jack high)
    Afcaantje84 collected 225 from side pot-1
    goapaa: shows [Qs Qd] (a pair of Queens)
    Afcaantje84 collected 12937 from main pot
    givewhatucan finished the tournament in 797th place
    goapaa finished the tournament in 798th place
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot 14496 Main pot 12937. Side pot-1 225. Side pot-2 1334. | Rake 0
    Board [5d 4s 6h Jh 2h]
    Seat 1: Hero showed [Ah As] and won (1334) with a pair of Aces
    Seat 2: dmonch folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 3: Jerman027 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 4: Afcaantje84 (button) showed [5h 3h] and won (13162) with a flush, Jack high
    Seat 5: shakall76 (small blind) folded before Flop
    Seat 6: DancerRzn (big blind) folded before Flop
    Seat 7: goapaa showed [Qs Qd] and lost with a pair of Queens
    Seat 8: bugiaso folded before Flop
    Seat 9: givewhatucan showed [Tc Th] and lost with a pair of Tens

• edited February 2012
    That is redonkulous for a $15 tourny. He's not getting that great odds 4 ways. Can easily be facing AKs of the same suit and is guarenteed to be seeing at best one ace which messes with potential straights.

givewhatucan's play was awful to. I don't understand why he is 3 betting so early in the first place especially with one flat caller. Calling all in 4 ways he is getting crushed everytime. Very likely to see some overpairs, at best 3-4 overcards and some suited hands. The 5-3s probably makes more sense than calling with TT.
  • edited February 2012
    Looking forward to this. After the success of the fascinating January points thread a diary from one of the site's big guns would be very welcome.

However, I have to say (further to Lambert180's comments), all we have so far are three random hands, one of those is taken from a rival site. I hope future content will be a little more interesting!
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Hey Lambert Very much doubt I'll ever post details of my roll, just silly information to give away IMO.
    Posted by TommyD
    It's understandable that you'd want to keep your BR details private, but why would it be silly?
  • edited February 2012

I think the only fair thing to do is for Tommy to get drunk, on one of his many days off, blow all his BR on Sky Vegas and then start again as a 'low stakes' player.  

Q. I am mainly a MTT player but have hit an horrendous downswing (or I am just bad at the pokerz!). I have often thought about taking up cash but never actually done anything about it. What realistically starting BR would I need to start at the bottom level and try to work up, in your honest opinion?
  • edited February 2012
    From nl4? £50-£100 realistically but it can be done with £10-£20 =D.
  • edited February 2012
    In poker related news, Jason Somerville came out recently in his blog. He becomes arguably the most well known male openly homosexual poker professional. It's to his credit that he has done this, knowing full well that many forums (when i say many I really mean 2+2) are going to run with this, pages upon pages of people discussing the intricacies of everything from 'born Gay or become Gay?' to same sex fantasy matchmaking.

In my life a few people have come out to me which has always made me feel proud that they felt they could tell me as well as awkward.  Why am I awkward?  Well I really don't care, yet as I was the first or one of the first people my friends have told I have always felt I need to over play a reaction.  The first time a good friend told me I just gave my natural reaction, I think I said 'fair play, pass me a beer.'  They actually looked somewhat crestfallen that I was pretty passive about it.  Good luck to Jason and hopefully after the forums have had their reaction it will all settle down and life will return to normality for him.  I'm pretty sure it will.

Recently there was a documentary made by Amal Fashanu (daughter of John, niece of Justin) focussing on attitudes to homosexuality in professional football.  Despite my annoyance that I felt John Fashanu got off pretty lightly for disowning his brother Justin (for those who don't know he was the only 'out' top tier footballer in modern English football) it was a pretty good show.  Will another pro ever come out?  I very much doubt it, mainly because of the press.  For those who don't know I work on community radio, part of this is commentating on live football matches.  I won't name the club but there is one press room I have regularly been to that has a massive number of loud homophobic, sexist, racist small minded low level hacks.  While there is any significant element of journalists with these attitudes no Gay footballer will ever get a fair shot of trying to lead the way, so why should they bother with the hassle?
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : It's understandable that you'd want to keep your BR details private, but why would it be silly ?
    Posted by Poker_Fail
    Knowledge is power in this game Poker Fail.  Occasionally I will take a shot or like most people have a little BRM slip.  I recently took a shot at HU PLO1000 (sadly the match lasted for about 20 hands before the gentleman I was playing decided to leave, at least I was a hundred odd quid up).  I don't want people to know that I'm taking a shot or playing higher than I should, it's hard enough going for it without the sharks circling.
  • edited February 2012
    I saw that a pro footballer was recently fined £6,000 for making a homophobic comment on twitter. Marry that to an 8 game ban for racist abuse, and it's clear that one problem is being taken seriously (rightly so) and another is practically tolerated.
  • edited February 2012
    I think the only fair thing to do is for Tommy to get drunk, on one of his many days off, blow all his BR on Sky Vegas and then start again as a 'low stakes' player.   ☺ Q. I am mainly a MTT player but have hit an horrendous downswing (or I am just bad at the pokerz!). I have often thought about taking up cash but never actually done anything about it. What realistically starting BR would I need to start at the bottom level and try to work up, in your honest opinion?
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Lol Maxy, self exclusion FTW.

If I was you Alan I would go straight into NL10 and start with £300.  Write this money off straight away as a 'training expense.'  Play cash, see if you like it, read up on all the forums to improve and see if you're comfortable with it.  30BIs is pretty much the minimum you can have so if you decide you can/want to play cash poker look at building your roll up to 50BIs for a level and get your spin on.
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Lol Maxy, self exclusion FTW. If I was you Alan I would go straight into NL10 and start with £300.  Write this money off straight away as a 'training expense.'  Play cash, see if you like it, read up on all the forums to improve and see if you're comfortable with it.  30BIs is pretty much the minimum you can have so if you decide you can/want to play cash poker look at building your roll up to 50BIs for a level and get your spin on.
    Posted by TommyD

Cheers for your reply Tommy.

So....can you sub me £750 squid then? (2 lots of 300 + 150 I will need for beer and cigarettes on my 1st night of cash!)

• edited February 2012
    I saw that a pro footballer was recently fined £6,000 for making a homophobic comment on twitter. Marry that to an 8 game ban for racist abuse, and it's clear that one problem is being taken seriously (rightly so) and another is practically tolerated.
    Posted by Eyeman
    This boils down to language and how it evolves.  The act of calling someone or something 'gay' has come to be a throw away adjective meaning bad, stupid, or silly as well as homosexual.  This has been pretty much accepted in the vocabulary of many people aged 40 and under.  I really doubt the English language would evolve in the same way regarding racial slurs.  I think deep down a massive amount of our society still believe that to be homosexual is a choice whereas we obviously do not choose the colour of our skin (the cast of Geordie Shore and TOWIE apart).  While that attitude remains the equality of sexualities will never be realised.
  • edited February 2012
    My thoughts with the 8Xdd hand are that:
         TommyD really reps an 8 and pretty much never J8 unless he got really tricky

I can really rep J8

TommyD knows that I think he has an 8 so I wouldn't be bluffing him

So based on that knowledge/info/read I want to get as much money in as possible to freeroll him or get him off the chop.
    If I am wrong and he has J8 I still have about 22% equity.

These are just my thoughts on the hand, I could be wrong but thats why poker is great! :)
  • edited February 2012
    The problem with the chop is that you actually lose money when you chop (due to the rake). So whilst you may shove someone off the hand sometimes, in the long run, it's not always a good move. Nothing worse than splitting a £300 pot to find you've just lost £15.
  • edited February 2012
    Great Read, will defo be following:

i also had near miss on stars storm 56/30k+ runners so frustrating when its very top heavy but still a bonus it was :) 

Due to the nature and swings of MTT's how many buy ins would you recommend? for a recreational player but wants to build there roll.

If you had one bit of advice about tourneys what would it be? 

I also on sky Mains lately seem to be running deep but either bubble or min cash, partly due to bad beat but obviously there maybe errors, is there anything you think this could be down to? I usually get a stack and always go for the win

Good luck mate!
  • edited February 2012
    The problem with the chop is that you actually lose money when you chop (due to the rake). So whilst you may shove someone off the hand sometimes, in the long run, it's not always a good move. Nothing worse than splitting a £300 pot to find you've just lost £15.
    Posted by Eyeman
    I remember a great hand I had once back on the Party days.  5 way limped pot (I was on the BB).  All the streets were checked down and the board ran out as a royal flush.  Suddenly everyone is shoving and it comes back round to me and as far as EV goes I should fold to save something like 20p.  Obviously I didn't, it's a blooming Royal.
  • edited February 2012
    Great stuff, Tommy!

Forgive me, but the tabloid journalist within would like you to expand on your opening remarks...

"I've been less active on forums for the last couple of months, didn't mean to, just had actual real
    life stuff to sort. I'll probably go into that later on if this thread takes."

• edited February 2012
    Great stuff, Tommy! Forgive me, but the tabloid journalist within would like you to expand on your opening remarks... "I've been less active on forums for the last couple of months, didn't mean to, just had actual real life stuff to sort. I'll probably go into that later on if this thread takes."
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    I wondered who'd been deleting my voicemail messages....

I'm moving house, or at least hoping to (touch wood).  Found a place to move into, found a buyer for the present home and now just sorting the mortgage out.  Bearing in mind we are currently in the worst house buying period since man had to avoid sabre-tooth tigers when switching caves it's all been very stressful.  Essentially all of my UKOPS bink is to be turned into bricks and mortar, a fact I'm not completely happy with.  My girlfriend is somewhat high maintenance and as such has decided that if the move falls through she will be completely devastated, a fact she has not been shy to remind me of on a regular basis.  Combine this with the fact that the stress load at work has hit an all time high I've really had other things on my mind than poker, which has probably contributed to my poor start to the year
  • edited February 2012
    Looking forward to this. After the success of the fascinating January points thread a diary from one of the site's big guns would be very welcome. However, I have to say (further to Lambert180's comments), all we have so far are three random hands, one of those is taken from a rival site. I hope future content will be a little more interesting!
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    I will do my best Gary but I'm not arrogant enough to think that everyone will enjoy reading every post here.  I dip in and out of diaries myself and I expect people to treat this in the same way.

The hands I posted were some kooky ones that happened recently and I thought two of them would be fun to look at while the PLO one was just a fun hand to show how sick the game can be.

Regarding the rival site, for posterity I'd like to say they have just cancelled a ton of tournies, some of which I was in.  Who says they don't have tech issues?  Now imagine if they had a forum, Sort It Out Stars! etc etc etc
  • edited February 2012
    Nice start to the diary look forward to reading more. 

Just a quick question what is you favorite form of poker ie, NLHE, PLO, Cash, MTT etc
  • edited February 2012
    Posted by Eyeman
    Max rake £1.80 in ring games so higher up u dont rly worry about losing money from a split
  • edited February 2012
    Looking forward to this. After the success of the fascinating January points thread a diary from one of the site's big guns would be very welcome. However, I have to say (further to Lambert180's comments), all we have so far are three random hands, one of those is taken from a rival site. I hope future content will be a little more interesting!
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Are u serious! im finding all posts very interesting fwiw and makes a change from filling it with tons of hands. The odd hand works better but you cant please us all.

Keep up the good work Tommy, cracking so far..
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Are u serious! im finding all posts very interesting fwiw and makes a change from filling it with tons of hands. The odd hand works better but you cant please us all. Keep up the good work Tommy, cracking so far..
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    +1
  • edited February 2012
    I take it back, this diary has become much more interesting since I posted that comment; plenty of fascinating input from Tommy, no more hands without context. Seems more like a stream of opinions and Q&As than a diary as such. Anyway, whatever it is I'm growing to like it a lot.
  • edited February 2012
    Note to self, in mid grind but will post two hands from Mastercash here as well as the DN Vblog (I haven't watched it yet, should really do that first).

Thank you to Tikay and Rich for plugging the stuffing out of this diary, totally unsolicited and very appreciated.  Better make this good now.

Happy grinding all!!
  • edited February 2012
    Enjoying this Tommy, keep it going and I'm sure it will be well worth the effort.

Couple of questions, one poker, one random.

What poker goals / aspirations have you got for the next 12 months?

Favourite 3 movies of all time?

• edited February 2012
    Ok for you hand history lovers, two hands shown on Mastercash earlier this evening.  I have left all the names in because it has already been shown and is therefore already out there.

1)  You gotta know when to hold em

This hand happened after the one below.  They are out of order for the title of the Kenny Rogers classic.  So the table is super passive, pre I have the button and I have an internet connection.  I raise, would be happy to take it down pre and happy to play the streets.  It gets interesting on the river, I have picked up a good draw but the villain has gone completely against type by leading.  This is the first aggression I have seen from him.  I'm quite worried.  Flop flat is easy, on the turn it's a little more tricky.  There is no point raising flop or turn, both leads signal huge strength in this spot when compared to the history and I'd just be burning money.  However I felt that I had the implied odds to get the entire stack if I hit and I can play this hand pretty much perfectly.  I binked, shocked by the open jam but I think this pretty much says had I raised a standard river bet I was still getting my value.
    jahsel Small blind  £0.25 £0.25 £17.24
    Killerpea Big blind  £0.50 £0.75 £62.92
     Your hole cards

Jibbz Fold     
    TerranceHa Call  £0.50 £1.25 £84.65
    cyberdog Fold     
    TommyD Raise  £2.00 £3.25 £104.63
    jahsel Fold     
    Killerpea Fold     
    TerranceHa Call  £1.50 £4.75 £83.15
    Flop

TerranceHa Bet  £2.50 £7.25 £80.65
    TommyD Call  £2.50 £9.75 £102.13
    Turn

TerranceHa Bet  £7.50 £17.25 £73.15
    TommyD Call  £7.50 £24.75 £94.63
    River

TerranceHa All-in  £73.15 £97.90 £0.00
    TommyD All-in  £94.63 £192.53 £0.00
    TommyD Unmatched bet  £21.48 £171.05 £21.48
    TerranceHa Show

TommyD Show

TommyD Win Straight to the 10 £169.25

2)  You gotta know when to fold em

I bet a little extra pre here because the table was playing very loose passive.  I had changed my open sizing from about the fourth hand to account for this.  Flop is standard C-bet spot, nice board to take it down there and then.  When I get called I'm considering being up against small-mid pairs calling to reassess, a ten slowplaying or a simple float to reassess with some kind of broadway, or 89.  The turn hits me nicely.  It's now a tricky decision to continue betting.  I can check behind here to allow the oppo to complete the float on the river and get my value there, or if the river is another check I can try to extact value on the river.  However 89 is still out there as well as mid pairs and the broadway combinations that may have hit that King as well so I decide to attempt to get a street of value here knowing I may not get value on the river.  Here comes the min check/raise.  Alarm bells ring but i call to reassess on the river.  The river hits me again and we now have top two.  The downside here is we are now facing a shove.  While I have improved I don't think I have overtaken anything on the river when he shoves.  If I was behind on the turn I'm still behind and vice versa.  All the broadway combos are now gone (apart from another AK of course).  This is either trip tens, a boat or a bluff.  Apart from 89 there are no bluffs IMO unless Jibbz is way out of line.  Too much strength so i run away like a little girl.  When shown on TV it was revealed Jibbz had pocket sevens.
    Jibbz Small blind  £0.25 £0.25 £97.50
    TerranceHa Big blind  £0.50 £0.75 £99.82
    jahsel Big blind  £0.50 £1.25 £24.50
     Your hole cards
    • A
    • K

cyberdog Call  £0.50 £1.75 £103.04
    TommyD Raise  £3.50 £5.25 £83.87
    jahsel Fold     
    Killerpea Fold     
    Jibbz Call  £3.25 £8.50 £94.25