You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.

Comments

• edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.:
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Well for balance let me tell you this.  You are the hardest person I have ever played HU at the end of a MTT.  This includes big ones I've won and big ones I've lost.  I'd never seen anything like it, mild mannered grinder all the way through a MTT and as soon as the third place person goes it's time for Wildman Tikay!!  Shove, reshove, limp/shove, raise, re raise, back raise, back back 4bet re jam.  I didn't know what had hit me.
    Posted by TommyD
    Well as you say, that is called "balance".

The way you write it, peeps would thnk I won it......

I have a theory when heads up, & my oppo is clearly better than me  - be brutally aggro. They can't outplay me if I jam the lot in pre!
  • edited February 2012
    Right suppose we best talk about poker again ;) 

When you play the Rollers, do you try to sat in first? if you do and fail are you always buying in anyway? or will have another couple of attempts? 

My next question maybe a bit personal, well reveal a bit much so you can either decline to answer/ PM me or even put on here your call: 

What advice would you give for satelites? this is really my big problem at the mo, i do think its a case of run bad but im sure im getting in spots i shouldnt. Any help from urs truly would be grand.

Also as there has been alot of changes of late and more to come, what IYO do you think is either the biggest change? or you think should be priority to be next. 

Loving this thread 
    John
  • edited February 2012
    Great thread Tommy, really enjoying it. Couple of questions for you:

As a teacher and someone who enjoys all variations of poker, how hard do you think it is for the average person to pick up the other formats? I think I pick most things up quite quickly but forms of poker other than hold'em may as well be chinese to me. Would you offer any particular advice to players like me who have hold'em entrenched in their brains to the exclusion of all other formats?

You must get this one all the time (sorry) but do you not fancy yourself as a pro? I know what you said above about that 'ruthless' cutting edge that is required but do you not think you could shake that and/or any other obstacles? Would you rule out ever going pro? (Don't answer last bit if you don't wish to :-))

What games do you play on the other site? I'm particularly interested in the huge field MTTs, have you any other stories you would particularly like to share about any of those?

That will do for now, thanks for taking the time mate.
  • edited February 2012
    Hey Tommy, Nice diary so far not a poster more a lurker. I notice when you have a decent tourny score you go play cash 1/2 + but eventually revert back to playing the odd DYM and more MTTs, is this because you take money out at some point for personal stuff and drop to a comfortible level or the other obvious reason which i won't say :). Also i think i read you have a son ? if not my mistake but is that the reason you don't play many live MTTs. As an all round STT reg for the last 4 years now your one of the very few people i don't like on my table / avoid if totally possible so why not just stick to them and grind a lower variance profit over X space of time? ^^ last post about not wanting to take money off someone you know i can relate to alot. Im quite sure thats why i play STTs and not cash as i know alot of the cash regs on this site and just think meh i don't want to take money off X or lose it to Y. Do you have any problems logging and calling it a night when your down ? I still can't leave when i'm down over a certain amount unless i can't get a game hence me being on this late ha ha :). Would you say you was a competative person in the sense that you hate losing at anything from poker to just random stuff as i hate losing at anything it drives me alot and especially at this game over the years. long post should keep you busy !
    Posted by Nutter5932
    Haha, gladly not the obvious reason for switching to DYMs after cash.  I'm ahead at 1/2 over the last year/18 months.  Not crushing it but beating it.  I'm behind at 1.5/3 but not by a great deal.  I'm ahead at 5/10 (ok it was like 20 hands before he stood but darn it, it still counts).  And I've always had a good record at 0.50/1 which is problem the level I am the most profitable at right now.  I've had my fair share of spankings on the cash table for sure, but I'm not donating my MTT wins there.

In general after I have a MTT bink I do like to have a little fun on the higher stake cash, that lasts for a couple of weeks before I get sensible and take some out for my savings/holiday/fun stuff.

I don't have a son or any children.  I don't play any decent level live MTTs purely down to work, teaching is not a job where you can choose your holidays.  Ok yes there are a few of them for sure, but I can't take a Thursday or Friday off to play the day 1s at most events.  However one of my goals for the year was to get more live play, I'm going to try to find some holiday/weekend friendly events this year to see how I'd do in a live MTT that takes more time than a Monday evening at Harlow Dog Stadium (now that's a fun poker room, stories will follow some day).

Believe me if there was a bigger DYM player pool you wouldn't see me at your table, you're too darn good.  I used to grind DYMs a lot for points and for building up my roll.  I don't play as much now but I still get back on there from time to time, mainly when I'm suffering from Fancy Play Syndrome.  Nothing better than a DYM to go back to pure math basics, which is by no means insulting the DYMs as they are anything but basic.  It's a nice way to wash out all the rubbish that creeps into my game from time to time, plus I enjoy them when I'm in the mood.  I just wish the £100+ ones would run more.

I used to have massive problems calling it a night.  I had a little period way back to the Betfair days where I was grinding £5 SnGs and I refused to quit until I was at least £50 up on the day.  I think it was the second time i woke up at the keyboard when I decided that was a bad idea.  These days I'm a lot more chilled about it, I tend to know when I'm going a little haywire and can log off.  The problems these day happen when I find a good cash game, I'm sat with a player or two who I think will pay me off handsomely in the right spot but that spot is just not turning up.  Doesn't matter if I'm up or down but what does matter is I'm not getting AK on a A high flop for him to crash into with A6 or that set won't bink or the worst of all, they open fold the SB for the first time in 100 times when I'm sat in the BB with QQ+.  That last one is tilt-tastic.

I'm competitive with myself.  If I get done by a better player on the poker table or by a better team on the Sunday League Pitch, fair enough.  If I've under performed I can get into a foul mood with myself.  That's really where my competitive drive comes from and as a result I am quite competitive.

Question for you Ben.  Do you find as one of the best known players on the DYM table that you get called in those crucial bubble spots wider than say a lesser known player?

Well I think I covered all of your questions there Ben, if I missed something give me a nudge.  Great to have you lurking here :)
  • edited February 2012
    Do any of you actually think we have a chance in the Euro's. Are we just going to get all the usual pre tourny hype and optimism only for England to fail again! Lets be honest here, we just ain't good enough, let's prepare ourselves for the worst.
    Posted by rancid
    We've got a chance but I'd much rather use the Euros as a springboard for the World Cup, get a young team at the Euros to bond and aim to make their mark in 2014.
  • edited February 2012
    Right, i contributed to taking this thread to become an england team thread , but lets get back to poker. Just wondering on average what percentage of your play would be , tourne , cash,  DYM.   Also do you ever play HU sit n go's , or any HU cash ?  
    Posted by 1267
    I would guess this month I've been 10% DYMs, 20% MTTs, 50% NLHE Cash and 20% PLO cash.  These are subject to change as and when the whim takes me.  I play all the formats and as many of the games as I can because I want to be the best I can be at every format.  You never know where the next juicy game will be or what format it will be.  I think to survive in poker long term you need to know much more than NLHE, mainly because you never know where the game will go, just ask any Stud players from the 70s/80s.

I play the odd HU SnG, not too bad at those.  I'm decent at HU PLO cash against the right people (the right people do not have a Coxy or a Sim in their name).  I rarely play NLHE HU Cash, it's probably my weakest area in poker.  At least it was when I tried it out a couple of years ago on another site  It's on the list to improve though, but judging by my previous results I'm going to wait until I can fund half a site trying to fix it.
  • edited February 2012
    What's the meaning of life Tommy? Why are we here?

But more importantly, how could lolufold go all-in pre (5 bet I think) playing nl500 against Peg1, three handed, with 3d6d. And how do you quantify him cracking Peg's AA with a flopped flush and even avoiding Peg's re-draw? Variance? Peg left with about £2.5K profit so I guess I've already answered my own question. Not sure what the meaning of life is though. Or even why I'm asking. Strange life.

Geordie Shore's pretty good though, eh?
  • edited February 2012
    Your thoughts on Scottish independence Tommy? I'm Scottish, bored of it, and couldn't care less.

Is a min-raise on the river ever, ever, ever a bluff?
  • edited February 2012
    Will you ever regret starting this diary when you realise it gives any idiot out license to ask you any random question he feels like Tommy?

You strike me as too good a guy to ignore any. I might well take advantage.
  • edited February 2012
    Ok I will get to the outstanding questions soon (Bandini, you made me chuckle, thank you) but we haven't had a HH in here for a while.  Going to try something and see if it takes off.  I'm going to post parts of two HHs, one will be my biggest win in the last day, the other will be the biggest loss.  Rate my play on both and guess which is which.  I'm going to leave the names in on these, hopefully no one will be offended.  If anyone is feel free to PM me or post here and I will refrain from doing so in the future.

So, to the hands.

Hand 1
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    dantb10 Small blind  £2.00 £2.00 £255.80
    TommyD Big blind  £2.00 £4.00 £151.40
     Your hole cards
    • J
    • J

dantb10 Raise  £4.00 £8.00 £251.80
    TommyD Raise  £16.00 £24.00 £135.40
    dantb10 Raise  £42.00 £66.00 £209.80
    TommyD All-in  £135.40 £201.40 £0.00
    dantb10 Call  £105.40
    Hand 2
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    robin1981 Small blind  £1.00 £1.00 £98.05
    hung21 Big blind  £2.00 £3.00 £776.45
     Your hole cards
    • A
    • K

ajs4385 Raise  £6.00 £9.00 £507.25
    TommyD Raise  £18.00 £27.00 £420.60
    sam1986 Raise  £42.00 £69.00 £332.00
    robin1981 Fold     
    hung21 Fold     
    ajs4385 Fold     
    TommyD Call  £24.00 £93.00 £396.60
    Flop

TommyD Check     
    sam1986 Bet  £62.00 £155.00 £270.00
    TommyD All-in  £396.60 £551.60 £0.00
    sam1986 All-in  £270.00 £821.60 £0.00
    TommyD Unmatched bet  £64.60 £757.00 £64.60
  • edited February 2012
    Hand 1) i think your beat, at best flipping but i dont think your that lucky this time

hand 2) seems pretty standard post flop

I reckon hand 1 u set up to bink, hand 2 you brick vs his overpair or set of 10s 

• edited February 2012
    Ha sleeping patterns ftw :(

Yeah you covered it all :) I didn't really think about you obviously working Fridays when most day 1s are duh me. What age groups do you teach ? I'm guessing primary school as no one in their right mind would teach moody teenagers right ???? :).

To answer your question I think its a yes from someone that's played with me not a lot because they wanna knock me out but then again some people think oh no it's Ben I'll avoid him. It's a hard one to answer because it flip flops from player to player I just try identify fast which one. 

If the player pool on here was bigger I wouldn't play a lot of them truthfully, I consider them my weakest game out of hu,mtt and dyms. They have defiinatly got tougher lately I just try to play what I think I got the biggest edge in. 

• edited February 2012
    You must have won hand 2 and lost hand 1 based purely on the pot sizes /stakes. 

Hand one I know him quite well I snap him running round the room high fiving anyone about as he's a spewtard. He hits his ak/aq or sets up.

Hand 2 : I think it's a standard re ship and Sam could literally have a set / 89 or like jj-qq. As you posted it it could be a gross one like jqss or j10ss
  • edited February 2012
    Ok I will get to the outstanding questions soon (Bandini, you made me chuckle, thank you) but we haven't had a HH in here for a while.  Going to try something and see if it takes off.  I'm going to post parts of two HHs, one will be my biggest win in the last day, the other will be the biggest loss.  Rate my play on both and guess which is which.  I'm going to leave the names in on these, hopefully no one will be offended.  If anyone is feel free to PM me or post here and I will refrain from doing so in the future. So, to the hands. Hand 1 Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance dantb10 Small blind   £2.00 £2.00 £255.80 TommyD Big blind   £2.00 £4.00 £151.40   Your hole cards J J       dantb10 Raise   £4.00 £8.00 £251.80 TommyD Raise   £16.00 £24.00 £135.40 dantb10 Raise   £42.00 £66.00 £209.80 TommyD All-in   £135.40 £201.40 £0.00 dantb10 Call   £105.40 Hand 2 Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance robin1981 Small blind   £1.00 £1.00 £98.05 hung21 Big blind   £2.00 £3.00 £776.45   Your hole cards A K       ajs4385 Raise   £6.00 £9.00 £507.25 TommyD Raise   £18.00 £27.00 £420.60 sam1986 Raise   £42.00 £69.00 £332.00 robin1981 Fold         hung21 Fold         ajs4385 Fold         TommyD Call   £24.00 £93.00 £396.60 Flop     6 7 10       TommyD Check         sam1986 Bet   £62.00 £155.00 £270.00 TommyD All-in   £396.60 £551.60 £0.00 sam1986 All-in   £270.00 £821.60 £0.00 TommyD Unmatched bet   £64.60 £757.00 £64.60
    Posted by TommyD

Im offended ;)

Pretty standard.

i 5 bet jamd ajo in bb v ur btn about 3 hands before this.

u can start folding jacks pre v me heads up tho if you want i dont mind.

And do one ben u t wat u would fold a king and a king in this spot!
  • edited February 2012

Hi Tommy,
    Enjoying the Diary.  Re. hands I'm guessing JJ held and in 2 the flush never came losing to set?  Anyways, a couple of questions.. What set-up do you have computer-wise?  and, are there times when you are free to play poker and just don't fancy playing cos you're not in the right frame of mind? 

• edited February 2012

A fellow Spurs fan and very good friend of mine offered me a ticket for te game today for free at about 9am.  As my GF was getting back from a hen do at lunchtime and it would mean I'd have to skip out on my Sunday League teams game, leaving them in the lurch, I declined.

Lucky escape.

To prevent any partisan posting, may I just congratulate Arsenal for their performance and result.

• edited February 2012
    hand 1 = lost
    hand 2 = emmmmm won

And what a great game, from a very happy Arsenal fan

lolz never knew we had it in us to comeback like that

I am going to be very chirpy this week at work

btw Tommy Harlow dogs is my local card room, tell us some stories - go on -
    Are the stories regading the cash tables by any chance
    Are you local to Harlow ?

• edited February 2012

Ok the hands.

Hand one I was up against AK and did a hold.

Hand two Sam had Aces (surely illegal) and I bricked.

Might do that again after a long session if I have a few interesting ones.

Yesterday I did the normal MTT grind, lighter than most as I do have a limit on the tables I can play at a given time and I was hanging around for a while in most tournies.  I only played 4 on another site, min cashing or just above min cashing in all of them.  It was frustrating, small cash in the million after being card and spot dead for hours.  The worst one was in the Red Spade open, approaching the bubble with well over double the average I obvious raise with my aces, big blind defends with T9 off and the flop is 678.  GG deep run stack.  I ended up being so winded by that I just limped my way into the cash.

On Sky I had my total donk off in the Roller shown on TV for my pleasure.  Really bad stack off by me, I put it down to tiredness and too many tables, I was looking at a deep run in a few very well played tournaments and went into button clicking mode.  Mistakes happen, got to fix that.  Donked out of the mini but min cashed the Primo.

In life news my Sunday League team lost 5-2 in a friendly.  It was arranged to keep our fitness up before our last two very important matches that can decide our promotion, so naturally we picked up three injuries.  Marvelous.  The team I support also lost 5-2 to the direct rivals.  Yes Sunday just kept on getting better...

• edited February 2012
    Right suppose we best talk about poker again ;)  When you play the Rollers, do you try to sat in first? if you do and fail are you always buying in anyway? or will have another couple of attempts?  My next question maybe a bit personal, well reveal a bit much so you can either decline to answer/ PM me or even put on here your call:  What advice would you give for satelites? this is really my big problem at the mo, i do think its a case of run bad but im sure im getting in spots i shouldnt. Any help from urs truly would be grand. Also as there has been alot of changes of late and more to come, what IYO do you think is either the biggest change? or you think should be priority to be next.  Loving this thread  John
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    Hey YG.

I sometimes try to Sat in, but these days I mostly just buy in direct.  I used to have a few cracks at satting into the old Sunday Roller but would always buy in direct if I didn't manage it.

How I play a satelite really depends on how many seats are available.  If it's one of the winner only ones then I look to get into a high equity all in spot early.  I'll take a flip in hand one if offered.  If I double then I go into a tighter mode to just pick up a few pots here and there, trying to get on the FT to give myself a shot at the seat.

If it's a super satelite with quite a few seats then it's tight, tight, tight all the way.

I think the biggest change on SkyPoker recently was H4H.  it was a great improvement but I'd personally like it to come in with four or five to go, and apply to both tables from the start when down to two tables.  No other sites I know of do this but its's just a personal preference.

As far as future changes go, antes will completely change the dynamic in tournaments which should be fun.  I want to see resizeable/stretchy tables next but I'm a paitent guy :)  The one change I personally do not want is a Timebank.  I know that is probably controversial and a lot of people want it but I really don't like them.  I very very rarely use it and it completely slows the game down.  On another site shorties start mashing the timebank from about 100 to the bubble.  Then they start mashing it for the money ladders.  I find the play so slow on that other site it really annoys me, so many people killing the clock and so much play being lost, heavy paid MTTs suddenly turn into crapshoots.  When it comes to playing a hand here's some advice, do your thinking and make your decisions while the other peron's timer is ticking down.
  • edited February 2012
    Really liking the guess the outcome of the hands TommyD is a great way to get folks involved in what they would do or weather they would play it a certain way. Might try this myself on my thread if you dont mind me stealing your idea :) Im an Arsenal fan by the way ;)
  • edited February 2012
    TY tommy, glad u posted your thoughts on both types of satelites.

I am also very looking forward to the antes, hopefully well sort out the Men from the boys and means ppl have to play to even min cash :) 

I also agree about timebank, i never use it so will not benefit me suppose only really needed for serious mulittablers where as i usually play around 4 so no need for me.

PS-Loved the footy yesterday! 
  • edited February 2012
    You said you will just buy in to tournaments direct usually, does this not affect you as it may be all your cash profits for the day and you may not cash any tournaments and may leave you for a loss. I find this difficult as if I buy in to lots of tournaments and if I brick them all I feel I always have to restore my BR to back to what it was before and begin to chase the money. 

So do you just try forget and not really take too much notice of how much you are up or down ? 
  • edited February 2012
    Just a quick note to follow up on my reply to Young Gun.

Personally I dislike timebanks in tournament play.  Only once in many years on SkyPoker have I wanted there to be a timebank.  That was a fun hand, UKOPS Highroller about 12 or so from the cash.  Nigdawg with a stack raises UTG, Macapaca flats UTG+1, I'm next with Jacks and 3bet, folded around to Nigdawg who shoves (he covers), Maca folds and then it's on me.  That was the only hand I can remember where I was straight 50/50 on my decisions.  The ticker went all the way down to the end before I finally decided what to do.

Anyway I digress.  Timebanks kill the play in tournaments, especially large field ones.  Maybe there wouldn't be as much as a problem in 6max so we'll see.

However I can understand timebanks in cash games and would be all for it if it was applies to cash games only.  Of course this cannot and will not happen.  Imagine the continuation of the argument about Cash v Tournaments in reference to where SkyPoker concentrates most of it's attention if that happened?  Just not worth the hassle so i imagine they will be introduced across the board in the future.  Some things you like, some you don't, so I'm not about to throw my toys out of the pram about it.
  • edited February 2012
    Talking about satellites, I seem to do very well at the main event sats at 6pm, with a success rate of about 70%. They usually follow a similar course with nothing happening for ages, then a couple of spots to double up followed by nervously waiting for others to fail.

But if I satellite in, invariably I never get going in the tournament itself. Buy in direct and I run better.

Coincidence or mindset ?
  • edited February 2012
    Talking about satellites, I seem to do very well at the main event sats at 6pm, with a success rate of about 70%. They usually follow a similar course with nothing happening for ages, then a couple of spots to double up followed by nervously waiting for others to fail. But if I satellite in, invariably I never get going in the tournament itself. Buy in direct and I run better. Coincidence or mindset ?
    Posted by penguin7
    Mindset 100%, the tell being that you notice it.  I think when you're going into a tourney after satting in it's at least on your mind.  Not sure why, maybe greater ROI on a cash, maybe you feel a little like you're on a freeroll but they way you are noticing it tells me in some way it's affecting your game.
  • edited February 2012
    Great thread Tommy, really enjoying it. Couple of questions for you: As a teacher and someone who enjoys all variations of poker, how hard do you think it is for the average person to pick up the other formats? I think I pick most things up quite quickly but forms of poker other than hold'em may as well be chinese to me. Would you offer any particular advice to players like me who have hold'em entrenched in their brains to the exclusion of all other formats? You must get this one all the time (sorry) but do you not fancy yourself as a pro? I know what you said above about that 'ruthless' cutting edge that is required but do you not think you could shake that and/or any other obstacles? Would you rule out ever going pro? (Don't answer last bit if you don't wish to :-)) What games do you play on the other site? I'm particularly interested in the huge field MTTs, have you any other stories you would particularly like to share about any of those? That will do for now, thanks for taking the time mate.
    Posted by JohnConnor
    When playing any new variant you need to scrub everything you previously know from old variants.  If you go in thinking you are converting what you know previously then you will never reach a full understanding of the new game.  NHL is completely different from PLO hi which is completely different from PLO8.  Just because they are all flop games people get a little confused thinking they are similar.  I've seen the same thing happen in Stud and Stud8.  Go in thinking you are learning a new game.

Me as a pro?  In truth, maybe one day if I think I'm good enough.  I've already met the criteria given by many pros on the top tips.  I just don't think I'm good enough right now.  Of course if I hit a major bink (Sunday million win etc) I would definitely consider it.

I play the major one.  I had a brief dalliance with Full Tilt but I just didn't like it at the time, now rhyme or reason for this, just didn't like it.  Of the Sunday majors I normally play the SWU, sometimes the million, and a lot of the 'Bigs' that site offers.  I've had a lot of runs to the 30s-80s without getting to a FT in one of those.

Got plenty of stories from them but hard to bring many up when needed.  A naughty one was when closing in on the bubble on the Sunday Warm Up.  I was sitting about 100/1700ish which is a great spot to be in.  I look down at two red Aces and see it's been bet and called a couple of times before it got to me.  Lovely.  I 3bet, then there is a dwell from the BB.  He types in the chatbox 'weeeeeeeee' and bets 98% of his stack.  So odd.  I am the only one who voers him but it's all very strange.  Folded to me, I jam, he calls.  He has cold 4bet Nines.  Nine in the door and I'm crippled, didn't even cash in the end.  The worst part was when he typed 'wow' in the chatbox afterwards.  I just didn't need to see a wow there.
  • edited February 2012
    What's the meaning of life Tommy? Why are we here? But more importantly, how could lolufold go all-in pre (5 bet I think) playing nl500 against Peg1, three handed, with 3d6d. And how do you quantify him cracking Peg's AA with a flopped flush and even avoiding Peg's re-draw? Variance? Peg left with about £2.5K profit so I guess I've already answered my own question. Not sure what the meaning of life is though. Or even why I'm asking. Strange life. Geordie Shore's pretty good though, eh?
    Posted by bandini
    Meaning of life?  Love.  That and Playstation.

We're here to look after the place until the boss gets back.

The women on Geordie Shore scare me.
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Of course if I hit a major bink (Sunday million win etc)
    Posted by TommyD
    That's one sik tourney 250k average 1st place prize for a mere 50dollars!! I would play this every week, shame i work on Mondays, includes early starts too :(.

Question m8: what preparations do you do before starting each session?(if any) and do you review hands on HM or PT3 (or hh on sky) after each session?

Thanks m8
  • edited February 2012
    sunday mill is 215 buyin iirc
  • edited February 2012
    sunday mill is 215 buyin iirc
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    Yes, but the Red Spade Open is $55 and has a similar top end prize, I think that's where the confusion came from.