You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.

Comments

• edited March 2012
    Good luck to Pryce6, Joesman and any other Sky Regs who have made day 2 of the DTD500.  Theres a massive field and expected finish time today of 3am.

Question for Nick, as I know he follows my diary in a quasi-religious fashion.  What happened over Christmas?  I ask this because IMO you have been the funniest guy on this forum in 2012.  Great work.

Sky Regs at DTD, win money today please.
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.:
    Question ..Do you ever NOT play because you don't feel in the right" frame of mind or do you force yourself to sit and "see how it goes".  I do a fair bit of running and sometimes I have to force myself to go for a run because experience has shown me that those can be the days I have my best sessions.  Just wondering if poker is the same? Great daily diary read BTW pad
    Posted by Glenelg
    Yes.  Last night I wanted to play through the night, there's normally decent tables to play and cash to be won.  But I was feeling pretty grotty, no particular reason for this just was a grumpy so and so.  So I hit the sack and now feel refreshed and ready for action today.

I go running as well, and I play a lot of amateur football.  I find the exercise vital for my mental health and as a result helps my poker.  I don't think forcing yourself to run is the same as forcing yourself to play poker, purely because when you are physically resistant or mentally resistant to a physical activity you can break through that barrier.  Being mentally resistant towards a mental game is not something I believe you can always break through, you'll just play bad.
  • edited March 2012
    Oh my oh my oh my...... Secondly you say you don't want Digger in cheap.  With this hand that is exactly what you want,  The old adage of PLO compared to NLHE was that in NLHE you make your money by getting people out of a pot but in PLO you make your money by getting people into a pot.  This still holds true today.  PLO by it's nature is a drawing game. Tommy, that is so well described. Is any game so misunderstood by so many, as Omaha? PS - will you marry me?
    Posted by Tikay10
    Omaha is completely misunderstood purely because it's a flop game like the most popular current variant NLHE.  Then again you see people approach Stud Hi and Stud Hi Lo in the same way as well.  Most people don't want to do the hard work and think playing a new variant is much of an adjustment, playing a new variant is learning a new game IMO.

Then again I don't mind too much that people do this, it makes my life easier.
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Hi Tommy I got wind of your diary watching Rich Orford the other night. He's a fan and i see why!! Had a good read and i'm still going as there's so much good stuff as well as tips for a relative novice( just 7 months of serious learning). I'm an ex maths sec school teacher i'm sooo pleased to say. Your subject? Best poker books IYO? Nice to see you beat yourself up for the chat incident. I've seen some really big rants and i have no hesitation in reporting it. Whether its injustice tilt or not, i don't see why the table has to put up with it. Can their chat be turned off, i ask? As you say poker is there to be enjoyed...lets enjoy it. Its a learning process, i'm loving Tommy. The book collection is growing but the correct route isn't obvious to me and any tips for new but keen players would be a great helptp me and others. If i had to ask you could you consider writing a short article for people new to the game but playing very regularly and willing toput time and effort in to improve. Could it consider: 1. statistics aimed for 2. games to play to learn most 3. most diff skills to acquire 4. what to spend my time on. 5. analysis of hands...what to look for. 6. taking notes....how, organise, priorities of what to note, any software help 7. how to approach the learning process in the most efficient way. 8. whether some form of coaching at thi stage would be worthwhile, cost effective etc Sorry for the extensive list, tommy, but i do feel you're keen to help and obviously have a deep knowledge. any time you could spend on this would benefit alot of players who enjoy the game recreationally but do want to improve. I had to take ill-health retirement from teaching over ten years ago stemming from the tragic suicide of my brother, Mark. it sounds corny but i've put him inside me and lived my life to get the most from it now. New skills are there to be learned. Golf i love but gallstones have stopped that for over 6months. Now i've had the op that will return but poker is another skill i'd like to improve. cheers Tommy, keep up the good work.                             Steve aka profman15 
    Posted by profman15
    Hi Steve, sorry it took me a few days to respond to this, I've been rushed off my feet.

My subject is secondary school maths, like yours.

Poker books?  I haven't read that many to be completely honest.  I like looking at various forums such as the Clinic here as I find poker is such a rapidly developing game that most books become out of date very quickly.  I would recommend the Super Systems, particularly if you're interested in games other than NLHE.  I love the first chapter of Mike Caro's 'Book of Tells.'  The first chapter has nothing to do with tells and while the rest of the book is humorous for the 1970's photos of bad suits and funny haircuts, it's not completely useful.  The first chapter explains a mental concept called 'The Rule of Loose Wiring' which I think is vital for every poker player to understand.

As for the article, I'll give it a bash.  Won't be finished for a while but I'll post it here is stages for everyone.  It might be dross, it might be good, either way it'll be here.

Thanks again Sir and good luck at the tables.
  • edited March 2012

Going to be an interesting day today.  The GF is a Geordie who is completely crazy for the Newcastle Football team.  If I insult Kevin Keegan it's a mandatory night on the sofa penalty.  Newcastle play local rivals Sunderland today.  And Keegan is the pundit on the match.

Getting the sofa ready as I speak.

• edited March 2012
    The match isn't as big as ours is today though! How do u see it going? I would like to see King rested as he's been seen to be lacking vs City and Arsenal now.
  • edited March 2012
    The match isn't as big as ours is today though! How do u see it going? I would like to see King rested as he's been seen to be lacking vs City and Arsenal now.
    Posted by phil12uk
    I'm very worried about today.  Man United when they need to win?  Not a great spot.  Luckily our run in is good so if teams below us get close we should be able to pull away in the closing weeks of the season.

I would never rest King, when fit I believe he is one of the best defenders in the league.

Oh and I told my GF that this game isn't as big.  I now owe you a secondhand slap at the next SPT.  Sorry mate, those the rules.
  • edited March 2012
    tommy, i know you been playing on here pretty much from the start and you have seen many many players come and go, are there any players you have watched come up through the ranks here on sky that you thought "yep, good player". i can think of a lot of big hitters who i admire on this site but from what i can recall most came in with pretty hefty brs. there's a few at lower levels which i think can potentially be very very good. just wondered what your thinking was about the state of the game with new new blood coming through.  phil
  • edited March 2012
    Hi Tommy i noticed you said to Maxally to start off playing cash at nl10.I wonder why you think he should miss out on the "delights" of nl4.
  • edited March 2012
    experienced player i imagine.
  • edited March 2012
    tommy, i know you been playing on here pretty much from the start and you have seen many many players come and go, are there any players you have watched come up through the ranks here on sky that you thought "yep, good player". i can think of a lot of big hitters who i admire on this site but from what i can recall most came in with pretty hefty brs. there's a few at lower levels which i think can potentially be very very good. just wondered what your thinking was about the state of the game with new new blood coming through.  phil
    Posted by pod1
    It's tricky to move up the levels.  The main problem comes whe you move up and have a downswing, it's vital to lose your ego and be able to drop down.  This is something people struggle with and it can really hurt their roll and game.

More people than you think have moved up through the levels, just not necessarily here.  Of people more visible to move up through the cash levels mainly on SkyPoker I know I've watched Hursty do it, he's a fine player.  The same goes for RunitsRann who is one of the best hybrid players one SkyPoker (by hybrid I mean his ability to play both cash and tournaments).  Nutter, a man you can only knock out of a tournament by coolering him, has worked himself up the STT levels amazingly.  Grimage has done the same thing in HU SnGs (and is an interesting person to talk to in the chatbox, I use the term interesting in it's very broadest sense).  The current player to watch, Mr Derp, was playing 20p/40p back in December but I have heard he may have an investor so he may not have worked through the levels here.

There are many others I could mention as well (Scotty, Browndog, Chirps, Offshoot to name a few).
  • edited March 2012
    Hi Tommy i noticed you said to Maxally to start off playing cash at nl10.I wonder why you think he should miss out on the "delights" of nl4.
    Posted by Spikelad
    Because he's not new to poker.  NL4 is easy to beat (yes Don, it is) but you have to play a boredom inducing style of poker to do so.  I feel for someone moving from MTTs to Cash NL10 is where to start, plus if you start there you do have a level to drop down into if you're finding it tough.  If you find NL4 tough then there's nowhere to go.
  • edited March 2012
    For those watching the live show they have just promo-ed my appearance this Tuesday on those shows.  The photo they showed of me makes Scotty77's look like Vogue covershots.  There is a reason for the picture though.  That was taken at SPT Luton moments after I got it all in on the flop with middle set and fewer moments after that set had just been bokked by Tikay and runner runner over housed by Top pair top kicker on the flop.  That is why my face is doing a emoticon impression.

:-S
  • edited March 2012
    How much do you enjpoy being a TV Tart mate? 
  • edited March 2012
    How much do you enjpoy being a TV Tart mate? 
    Posted by dylan12
    More than you like jam tarts mate.
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : More than you like jam tarts mate.
    Posted by TommyD
    I <3 Tommy D :) 
  • edited March 2012
    Thanks for the reply Tommy,i do agree with you that nl4 can be a bit boring.
  • edited March 2012
    Thanks for the reply Tommy,i do agree with you that nl4 can be a bit boring.
    Posted by Spikelad
    Slight misunderstanding Spikelad.  If you're playing for fun it's not boring at all.  I do believe you need to play a very tight ABC game to win as much as you can at it though.  And that can be a little dull.
  • edited March 2012
    Playing like a numpty tonight in my MTTs.  Also running above expectation.  Expect hands when I bust them.
  • edited March 2012
    If you did qualify for Vegas, would you take your girlfriend?

If not, can I put in a claim for the +1 seat please, k ty. 
  • edited March 2012
    If you did qualify for Vegas, would you take your girlfriend? If not, can I put in a claim for the +1 seat please, k ty. 
    Posted by dylan12
    If she says no then you're near to the top of the list mate.  Big if about qualifying though.
  • edited March 2012
    Having any luck with the DYM bonus yet?

Hope its going better for you then me!
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : If she says no then you're near to the top of the list mate.  Big if about qualifying though.
    Posted by TommyD
    Does she follow/like poker?
    If not, tell her it's boring and you need to concentrate in order to win her money to buy shoes so it's best she don't go :) 

Tyty m8, happy to be near the top of your list, i have every confidence in you giving qualification a real big shot m8 and I wish you all the luck in your quest m8! 

• edited March 2012
    Having any luck with the DYM bonus yet? Hope its going better for you then me!
    Posted by PiAnOpLaYa
    Nope, as soon as I mentioned it and hinted I was confident it's been all downhill.  6 is my best number so far.  Another case of my big mouth, a mouth that's making me look more and more silly.
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Nope, as soon as I mentioned it and hinted I was confident it's been all downhill.  6 is my best number so far.  Another case of my big mouth, a mouth that's making me look more and more silly.
    Posted by TommyD
    It sounds easier then it is I think.

Be happy with 1 bonus during the month I think, Keep stringing a few together then losing a coin flip.
  • edited March 2012
    Ok diary update.  I think I'm up to date with all the questions, if I missed you please PM me, post here or just bump your question.  I won't mind and I'm trying to answer everything.

Feel like an old man today.  Got a bit annoyed in a cantankerous manner before.  I busted the VLV Semi in a cooler spot, continued the grind and popped back to the FT to wish everyone good luck.  One semi-reg was giving the big one to someone on the FT who had put a beat on him and I got annoyed.  I shouldn't I know, but I just can't help it when I see a guy who has obvious talent act in such a thoughtless manner.

Of course I thought he was referring to another beat the same player put on him a few hands before so I probably looked a bit silly for a bit, doesn't really bother me, I do that from time to time.

I really object to the term 'tard.'  It's a stock word in the modern online poker world as well as my generation and the younger one.  Both that and 'gay' seem to be acceptable insults.  I think that's just sad.

I feel sadder that I see a person with obvious talent get wrapped up in the idea they should be invincible because of this talent.  Maybe that's because I think I made a big mistake in my past and wasted something close to talent myself, maybe I just don't want someone else to do it.  Then again I wouldn't have listened to someone like me when I was that age anyway.

Like I said, I feel old today.  If someone can come in with a joke right now to lift the mood that would be splendid.

I end with Spam,  I'm on the live shows this Tuesday from 8pm.  Come, watch, bring questions!!!!
  • edited March 2012
    Question for Nick, as I know he follows my diary in a quasi-religious fashion.  What happened over Christmas?  I ask this because IMO you have been the funniest guy on this forum in 2012.
    Posted by TommyD
    Oh hi there Tommy.

Well first off I'd like to thank you for your kind comments.

Maybe it took you a while to get used to my sarcastic/slightly offensive sense of humour? :)
  • edited March 2012
    How many questions on Tuesday can I ask that are similar to:

"How do you win so many flips?"
  • edited March 2012
    How many questions on Tuesday can I ask that are similar to: "How do you win so many flips?"
    Posted by pryce6
    Well I'm giving you plenty of notice to arrange the question in at least a dozen different formats.  Just sprinkle it with 'how do you flop so many straights?' for variety.
  • edited March 2012

Sunday tournies didn't go great.  Only played a couple elsewhere, none of the majors.  Just wasn't feeling it.  VLV qualification spend is currently at around £350, expect this to rise.  Cashed in the Primo and went out in a funny spot.  Pre is standard button steal.  I check back the flop because there is an Ace out there like always waiting for me to C-bet.  I think I hit gin on the turn but then I face that betting.  Thought I was too big to fold, thoughts are always interesting.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    punkasmuck Small blind  1000.00 1000.00 69576.00
    joesman1 Big blind  2000.00 3000.00 27470.50
     Your hole cards
    • J

lifesgood Fold     
    HITMAN_RV Fold     
    TommyD Raise  4000.00 7000.00 20810.00
    punkasmuck Call  3000.00 10000.00 66576.00
    joesman1 Call  2000.00 12000.00 25470.50
    Flop

• A