You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.

Comments

• edited March 2012
    Gutted I didn't make it to the Brighton SPT.  I love those days out, really are highlights of the year.  Sadly I got a call a few days before from a Community Radio station I volunteer for.  I do a music show on it as well as football commentary, and when I say commentary I mean really going to the game and giving live commentary, not watch it on TV like the dying days of Capital Gold Sport where all of the crowd noises were provided by the tourists of Leicester Square.  We were a man down and I never like to let them down, so while everyone was having fun in Glasgow and Brighton, I was stuck watching probably the worse football match I've seen in some time and trying to make it sound interesting.  Now the great games are easy to commentate on, I truly believe anyone can do it.  The bad ones, well you need to be a genius to keep the audience involved.  Sadly I'm no Howard Cosell but I hope I made West Ham v Doncaster sound vaguely entertaining.

Back to the SPTs, I will be in Cardiff.  The Welsh ones are great and I'm wondering who I'm going to see wandering outside my hotel drunk and thirsty this year (you know who you were last year).  I'm also going to be in Blackpool to look at the young and thin new forms of Greg and Dylan.  Hopefully.
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.:
    As a comic book geek I am so pumped for movies this year.  We have: The Avengers The Dark Knight Rises The Amazing Spiderman GI Joe 2 I need these to be good.  There has only been one great comic book movies made ever (The original Christopher Reeve Superman movie, not The Dark Knight, feel free to argue that because I can go all day long on that one) and it's about time we had another one.  Sadly I've got a feeling none of these will quite hit that lofty mark. I've watched The Avengers trailers about a dozen times now and I have come to the following conclusions: Why oh why oh why is Ed Norton not playing Banner again? Downey Jr's casting as Stark was a perfect pick (you can easily get these wrong, for proof please watch The Green Lantern.  Actually, don't.  I cried a little and not in a good way). I'm very much in love with Scarlett Johansson.
    Posted by TommyD
    Please expand, a 1000 word essay will suffice.
  • edited March 2012
    Dog tired but can't sleep.  It happens that way sometimes so I thought I'd diary.

Played some HU cash against a well known reg today.  Match report is I booked a win but I won't get big headed about it, I was dealt plenty of good hands and I have no illusions about how much better than me this guy is.  I got away with one against someone with a good sized edge on me.

What's playing on my mind is that I left first, something I hardly ever do.  The match started on a 6max table.  This reduced to the two of us for a decent while then another player joined but his slow play and probably dodgy connection grated on both of us.  I was about to stand when the reg suggested we play heads up for 30 minutes max.  I broke my own rule by answering yes at the poker table.

We played for a little over an hour on two tables.  I had gotten off to a good start on both but after 40 minutes or so while one table went very well I fell behind on the other by a smaller margin.  I was starting to make mistakes, mainly due to tiredness, and I could see me giving make all of the profit up to that point.  So I stood, the reg tried to convince me to stay but tiredness and to be frank acknowledgement that the better player was starting to show stopped me.

It's playing on my mind a bit that I ran away, haven't done that before.  I normally keep going until either they leave or I do all of the profits back plus a little more.  It was probably smart to leave but for some strange reason it just doesn't feel right.

I'd love some HU cash guys to give their thoughts on this and when they decide to leave a game.
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Please expand, a 1000 word essay will suffice.
    Posted by Poker_Fail
    I like The Dark Knight but it's too flawed to be called a great movie.

1)  The script needed a complete rewrite.  They tried to combine two classic Batman stories which could have been stand alone movies in theselves as well as adding a third film worth of plot they came up with (the two stories I am referring to are 'The Killing Joke' graphic novel and 'The Long Halloween' twelve part limited series, two absolute classics in Batman comic cannon).  They tried to cram two much in and these classic stories got a little muddled and lost as a result.

2)  The film is too much about The Joker and not enough about Batman.  It's the same trap the original Keaton Batman movie fell into, although that is a much worse offender.  The Joker is a great character and Heath Ledger was awarded a very much deserved Oscar (which he wouldn't have received had he not died, but IMO would have received at some point later in his career), but it's all tpo easy to let that character over power a movie.

3)  The film is baggy and you feel a little repetition with the big set piece scenes.

4)  Bale has not nailed the Wayne/Batman divide.  Reeve understood it in Superman.  You are playing two different characters.  When you see Clark Kent on screen, it's Clark Kent, not Superman with glasses on.  Bale does a decent turn, but you don't really see two characters, you see one with or without gadgets.  There are much worse offenders (for this please see Toby Maguire play Toby Maguire and Toby Maguire in spandex).

Talking of Spiderman, I am really looking forward to The Amazing Spiderman, for me Andrew Garfield has been excellent in the two movies I have seen him in (Social Network and Never Let Me Go) and might just be a perfect pick for Parker.  Fingers crossed.
  • edited March 2012
    just leave whenever you think you are starting to play badly, if you feel likes its bad etiquette becuse you are winning just say in chat that you are tired but will play them HU another day.

its not like you played for 5min won a buyin then snap left which is pretty scummy imo
  • edited March 2012
    liking the thread mate.
    Talking of comic books, are there any other series you would like to see made into a film or even TV series?

I have a couple by JM Straczynski (he of Babylon 5 tv series and The Changeling (Angelina Jolie) film fame) called Rising Stars and Midnight Nation. he also did Spiderman for a while.
    Or maybe Fathom and a better Witchblade/Darkness series.

Haven't seen many of teh recent films, but I thought Watchmen was OK. You been watching The Walking Dead on TV?
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : I like The Dark Knight but it's too flawed to be called a great movie. 1)  The script needed a complete rewrite.  They tried to combine two classic Batman stories which could have been stand alone movies in theselves as well as adding a third film worth of plot they came up with (the two stories I am referring to are 'The Killing Joke' graphic novel and 'The Long Halloween' twelve part limited series, two absolute classics in Batman comic cannon).  They tried to cram two much in and these classic stories got a little muddled and lost as a result. 2)  The film is too much about The Joker and not enough about Batman.  It's the same trap the original Keaton Batman movie fell into, although that is a much worse offender.  The Joker is a great character and Heath Ledger was awarded a very much deserved Oscar (which he wouldn't have received had he not died, but IMO would have received at some point later in his career), but it's all tpo easy to let that character over power a movie. 3)  The film is baggy and you feel a little repetition with the big set piece scenes. 4)  Bale has not nailed the Wayne/Batman divide.  Reeve understood it in Superman.  You are playing two different characters.  When you see Clark Kent on screen, it's Clark Kent, not Superman with glasses on.  Bale does a decent turn, but you don't really see two characters, you see one with or without gadgets.  There are much worse offenders (for this please see Toby Maguire play Toby Maguire and Toby Maguire in spandex). Talking of Spiderman, I am really looking forward to The Amazing Spiderman, for me Andrew Garfield has been excellent in the two movies I have seen him in (Social Network and Never Let Me Go) and might just be a perfect pick for Parker.  Fingers crossed.
    Posted by TommyD
    A large part of the audience, including me, have never read any of those stories, so doesn't this only matter to hardcore fans??

The joker is wayyyy cooler than batman, end of.  

How are they really 2 different characters, spiderman is Toby maguire dressed as a g|mp. Surely they should share a lot of traits?

• edited March 2012
    just leave whenever you think you are starting to play badly, if you feel likes its bad etiquette becuse you are winning just say in chat that you are tired but will play them HU another day. its not like you played for 5min won a buyin then snap left which is pretty scummy imo
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    Cheers Lol, I know I didn't do anything wrong, would never do a stack and run.  I try to make this diary very personal, as a result my character trait of a fear of offending someone at the poker table is probably coming through.
  • edited March 2012
    liking the thread mate. Talking of comic books, are there any other series you would like to see made into a film or even TV series? I have a couple by JM Straczynski (he of Babylon 5 tv series and The Changeling (Angelina Jolie) film fame) called Rising Stars and Midnight Nation. he also did Spiderman for a while. Or maybe Fathom and a better Witchblade/Darkness series. Haven't seen many of teh recent films, but I thought Watchmen was OK. You been watching The Walking Dead on TV?
    Posted by walesboy
    I love Straczynski's work, but I am a big geek.

I'd like to see the Daredevil classic storyline's brought to film (Fall from Grace, Born Again, Guardian Devil).  Also if the Tom Jane Punisher didn't ruin half of the storyline, Garth Ennis's first Punisher run would be so cool to see on film.

The main problem is bits and pieces of the classics have been cannibalised in the movies, kind of ruining them for other people.

Watchmen is a very tricky book to put on screen, just the back story behind the movie will tell you that.  I'm a big fan of the book, I liked the film mainly because I thought I was going to hate it, it was all about expectations.  I'm very glad they didn't bottle on the fate of the character you can see as my forum avatar.

Walking Dead is a great book and a very good series, I like how they are so different from each other.  There are some touchstones but they are going so far away from the books that they really are two different story arcs.
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : A large part of the audience, including me, have never read any of those stories, so doesn't this only matter to hardcore fans?? The joker is wayyyy cooler than batman, end of.   How are they really 2 different characters, spiderman is Toby maguire dressed as a g|mp. Surely they should share a lot of traits?
    Posted by Poker_Fail
    1)  Fair comment, you should read them, you'll be blown away by them if you liked Dark Knight that much (especially Killing joke, written by the legend Alan Moore.  Seriously, it's pretty sick).

2)  Then call the movie 'The Dark Joker' then.  Yes the Joker is cooler, but I don't think people should be rooting for the bad guy.

3)  An alter ego is a different character from an actor's point of view.  Don't judge it on Maguire's appalling performance (seriously, for a guy with a secret identity he was on and off with that mask ten to the dozen).  Just watch Christopher Reeve in Superman, it's so much better.

In comic fiction on many occasions the alter ego is a different character side taking control.  Take Spidey, as Parker he is awkward, shy and a little fearful.  As Spidey he's fearless and confident.  Superman is the big boy scout, Clark Kent is still trying to cope as an alien in a human world.
  • edited March 2012
    is it wrong that a 42nyr old male loves the twilight films and is eagerly awaiting the last one????
  • edited March 2012
    is it wrong that a 42nyr old male loves the twilight films and is eagerly awaiting the last one????
    Posted by pod1
    Having endured a small quotient of the first of these films I am of the opinion that it is very very wrong to eagerly await the next instalment, myself I was eagerly awaiting the end within about 5 minutes, but I also hate Harry Potter and have never read a Marvel or DC Comic either despite having about 100 from the 90's I think in an old box picked up on a whim at an auction a while back, however the camp Flash Gordon film from the 80's with the Queen soundtrack gets my attention every time, think its Mings daughter that captures my imagination rather than the story,, takes all sorts....
  • edited March 2012
    3)  An alter ego is a different character from an actor's point of view.  Don't judge it on Maguire's appalling performance (seriously, for a guy with a secret identity he was on and off with that mask ten to the dozen).  Just watch Christopher Reeve in Superman, it's so much better.

Probably a bit harsh to lay this at Maguire's door, just the way Hollywood works.

If you've seen the new Spiderman movie trailer then it looks like the same thing will be happening.

I really enjoyed Captain America: The First Avenger and thought it was easily the best of the recent comic book adaptations.

The way Chris Evans was digitally shrunk to appear as the weedy Steve Rogers has to be one of the most amazing digital effects seen in a film, you really can't tell that it 's actually a special effect. Amazing.

Question: Which is worse, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace, or, Superman Returns?

• edited March 2012
    Posted by pod1
    Nothing wrong with it.  Can't understand it but hey, I like to dunk After Eights in a glass of Coca Cola, so we all have our sick little secrets.
  • edited March 2012
    3)  An alter ego is a different character from an actor's point of view.  Don't judge it on Maguire's appalling performance ( seriously, for a guy with a secret identity he was on and off with that mask ten to the dozen ).  Just watch Christopher Reeve in Superman, it's so much better. Probably a bit harsh to lay this at Maguire's door, just the way Hollywood works. If you've seen the new Spiderman movie trailer then it looks like the same thing will be happening. I really enjoyed Captain America: The First Avenger and thought it was easily the best of the recent comic book adaptations. The way Chris Evans was digitally shrunk to appear as the weedy Steve Rogers has to be one of the most amazing digital effects seen in a film, you really can't tell that it 's actually a special effect. Amazing. Question: Which is worse, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace, or, Superman Returns?
    Posted by Darntootin
    ooohh, the one bad Gene Hackman film versus a total waste of potential.  I probably plum for Quest for Peace, but Returns should have been so much better.  It still would be ok if they followed up with Luthor targeting Superman's reputation and the lovechild in a sequel while running for president, win election and have a nice dark third in the sequence.  They're rebooting that again for 2013, no Lex by the looks of it.  The villain is going to be Zod which will be a tough ask.

Captain America was lovely, I really liked it.  It was perfect that they set it in WW2, really gives you the whole back story.  I also liked Thor, mainly because Tom Hiddlestone plays a very tricky and often maligned bad guy in Loki to devious perfection.

Green Lantern sucked so much it made me cry.

Back on Maguire, ok, I'll allow the mask problems, but how about the voice change, or lack of, between identities.  There was just no difference.  I'm very hopeful for the new Spidey, mainly because of Garfield but also they are going the Gwen Stacey route.  No spoilers, but they need to complete her story exactly like it is in the comics.  Sadly I don't think they'll have the guts to.
  • edited March 2012
    Posted by pod1
       Not as wrong as a 56 yr old who has just read the Hunger Games and cant wait for the 23rd March to go and see the movie. ( will probs sit there picking holes in it and annoying she who must be obeyed, mind you nowt new there lol) 
  • edited March 2012
    Just watched "Changling" and annoyed by a loose end leftover.

Have you seen it?
  • edited March 2012
    im sad but i like watching edward scissorhands just a great film by tim burton and u can beat the old classic e.t :) adn goonies was a good film to watch on sunday afternoon :)
  • edited March 2012
    Last film i saw was the Artist at the electric cinema in Birmingham, which is oldest working cinema in UK - so kind of appropriate.
    More films with cute dogs please...
  • edited March 2012
    pomfrittes, i saw the trailer for "said" film and i think i might take my daughter to go see it, does look good.
    simonnator: i recommend marley and me!
  • edited March 2012
    Just watched "Changling" and annoyed by a loose end leftover. Have you seen it?
    Posted by Poker_Fail
    Haven't seen it yet, do you recommend?  If you don't like a loose end then never read a Stephen King book.
  • edited March 2012
    I'm off diary and off site until Sunday.  Hope you all have a cracking weekend and good luck to the many Sky Peeps playing in Walsall.  Take it down!!!!
  • edited March 2012

@Tommy,
    The first trailer for Dark Shadows is here...
    http://t.co/5efux6Eh

• edited March 2012
    Dog tired but can't sleep.  It happens that way sometimes so I thought I'd diary. Played some HU cash against a well known reg today.  Match report is I booked a win but I won't get big headed about it, I was dealt plenty of good hands and I have no illusions about how much better than me this guy is.  I got away with one against someone with a good sized edge on me. What's playing on my mind is that I left first, something I hardly ever do.  The match started on a 6max table.  This reduced to the two of us for a decent while then another player joined but his slow play and probably dodgy connection grated on both of us.  I was about to stand when the reg suggested we play heads up for 30 minutes max.  I broke my own rule by answering yes at the poker table. We played for a little over an hour on two tables.  I had gotten off to a good start on both but after 40 minutes or so while one table went very well I fell behind on the other by a smaller margin.  I was starting to make mistakes, mainly due to tiredness, and I could see me giving make all of the profit up to that point.  So I stood, the reg tried to convince me to stay but tiredness and to be frank acknowledgement that the better player was starting to show stopped me. It's playing on my mind a bit that I ran away, haven't done that before.  I normally keep going until either they leave or I do all of the profits back plus a little more.  It was probably smart to leave but for some strange reason it just doesn't feel right. I'd love some HU cash guys to give their thoughts on this and when they decide to leave a game.
    Posted by TommyD
    Absolutely nothing wrong with leaving.And also absolutely nothing wrong with only playing players you have a pretty big edge over, and pretty much leaving whenever you want

The reality is you have to have quite a big edge over your opponent to make a profit at poker. Sometimes you may have to make 10 big blinds per 100 hands to merely break even (due to rake). To illustrate.you may need to win the following

£5  per 100 hands at 50 NL.

£50 per 1,000 hands (1 full buyin)

£5,000 per 100,000 hands (100 buy ins)

Important to bear in mind that you will be playing against an intelligent person, and weaker players will get the same strong hands as you, and quite often you will have to pay them off if you have a strong hand as well.
    If you get your money in three times in a row as a 2 to 1 favourite, you will only win 1 buy in not 3.

Therefore quite a big edge can be required to merely break even let alone make a profit. Therefore their shouldn't be any guilt in leaving ahead, in almost any circumstances especially if you think the other person have an edge over you or you do not believe your edge will be sufficient to make a profit long term (if this is your aim)

Good poker players make money by identifying significantly weaker players, isolating them if possible and avoiding playing pots with other good players if at all possible.

TABLE SELECTION TABLE SELECTION TABLE SELECTION.
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Absolutely nothing wrong with leaving.And also absolutely nothing wrong with only playing players you have a pretty big edge over, and pretty much leaving whenever you want The reality is you have to have quite a big edge over your opponent to make a profit at poker. Sometimes you may have to make 10 big blinds per 100 hands to merely break even (due to rake). To illustrate.you may need to win the following £5  per 100 hands at 50 NL. £50 per 1,000 hands (1 full buyin) £5,000 per 100,000 hands (100 buy ins) Important to bear in mind that you will be playing against an intelligent person, and weaker players will get the same strong hands as you, and quite often you will have to pay them off if you have a strong hand as well. If you get your money in three times in a row as a 2 to 1 favourite, you will only win 1 buy in not 3. Therefore quite a big edge can be required to merely break even let alone make a profit. Therefore their shouldn't be any guilt in leaving ahead, in almost any circumstances especially if you think the other person have an edge over you or you do not believe your edge will be sufficient to make a profit long term (if this is your aim) Good poker players make money by identifying significantly weaker players, isolating them if possible and avoiding playing pots with other good players if at all possible. TABLE SELECTION TABLE SELECTION TABLE SELECTION.
    Posted by Fabraclass
    the higher stakes you play the less of an edge you need to overcome rake. nl50 HU is pretty pointless becuase of this, tommy was playing nl300 i believe where the rake cap postflop is  0.6bbs compared to  3.6bbs at nl50

if you have a smalledge on someone and you keep hit and running them there is a very good chance that they will just refuse to play you, and then you have just cut off a potential income stream.

thinking about the game longterm is a really smart idea if you are playing for a living
  • edited March 2012
    This DYM challenge is soooooooo frustrating! Up to 5 and back to the start again!! Can be a skill game tho as I just made my (ahem) 14th Royal Flush.
    leighton20 Small blind  150.00 150.00 4008.74
    Stuy Big blind  300.00 450.00 1869.37
     Your hole cards
    • Q
    • A

phil12uk All-in  1017.50 1467.50 0.00
    bigstack23 Fold     
    leighton20 Fold     
    Stuy Call  717.50 2185.00 1151.87
    Stuy Show

phil12uk Show
    • Q
    • A

Flop

• J

Turn

• K

River

phil12uk Win Royal Flush 2185.00  2185.00
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : the higher stakes you play the less of an edge you need to overcome rake. nl50 HU is pretty pointless becuase of this, tommy was playing nl300 i believe where the rake cap postflop is  0.6bbs compared to  3.6bbs at nl50 if you have a smalledge on someone and you keep hit and running them there is a very good chance that they will just refuse to play you, and then you have just cut off a potential income stream. thinking about the game longterm is a really smart idea if you are playing for a living
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    Your right, the higher the stakes you play the less bb per 100 you need to break even, heads up. I didn't mention this to discourage people from playing higher stakes, when they may not have enough of edge to be profitable.They may not have the bankroll to play the higher stakes, and could get themselves in a lot of financial trouble.

The aims of my post were

1 To illustrate how much of an edge people need to be profitable at poker.
    2 To stop people guilt tripping themselves about leaving ahead.
    3 To prevent people from playing higher stakes without enough concrete evidence that they can be profitable at the higher stakes, ie having a decent win rate at lower stakes. over a very large sample size (10 s of thousands of hands maybe as much as 100,000 hands or more).

If a player thinks that they have an edge in a game, that is marginal and they are unsure if their edge is sufficient to make a profit long term , I would recommend they play someone else who they think they have a bigger edge against.That's the great thing about the internet, their is so much action and one can pick and choose their spots.

For the best long term benefit i would suggest that people only play other people when they are very confident they have enough of an edge to overcome rake.(if they are looking to make a profit from poker that is). By having a high volume of heads up tables open and a diversity of poker skills in their arsenal eg NL PLO they should be able to find enough good action and decline marginal tables An added benefit is their variance will be minimal.
  • edited March 2012
    The aims of my post were
     1 To illustrate how much of an edge people need to be profitable at poker.
     2 To stop people guilt tripping themselves about leaving ahead.
     3 To prevent people from playing higher stakes without enough concrete evidence that they can be profitable at the higher stakes, ie having a decent win rate at lower stakes. over a very large sample size (10 s of thousands of hands maybe as much as 100,000 hands or more).
    That's the great thing about the internet, their is so much action and one can pick and choose their spots.

Posted by Fabraclass
    tbh it just sounded like the aims of your post was to promote the idea that people should be massive bumhunters.

and the bolded part is really not true

• edited March 2012
    This post hopefully won't come over as fan stalker....lol, but just caught up with thread .Like it alot, haven't been online playing for a while having had a "drunken!" episode on sky vegas with blackjack and "low stakes!" roulette crippling all funds!!!
     Discuss......

1) Original Batmans were Cac k and the new ones are darker and better for it !
    2) Superman until it got a tv series (apart from the Richard Pryers character) was Sh ite.
    3) Babylon 5 was a classic for its time.
    4) Battlestar Gallactica ! Do you prefer the original with Starbuck as a man(Dirk Benedict) or the newish! incarnation with starbuck as a woman but hugely better story lines and cooler cylons and special effects....(Sad confession have both the original and new series on dvd and love them both!(maybe more newer version,but close call!))
    5) All the Star Wars movies were Shi te and not just the new ones...........(I'll get in my bunker for the responses!)

Good luck at the tables, may play your level in 10 years or a drunken weekend soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers Dave.
  • edited March 2012
    new battlestar = class (starbuck hot) not keen on caprica mind. stargate universe made by the same people i would immagine, robert carlyle is very good. star wars very over rated. star trek voyager best of all the star trek (7 of 9 helps ob)