You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.

Comments

• edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.:
    at least it aint cricket unluck another diary thread :-)
    Posted by pod1
    Cricket is awesome! What diary is that?
  • edited March 2012
    at least it aint cricket unluck another diary thread :-)
    Posted by pod1
    How can you knock cricket it's the only sport England are actually good at! If played since I was 2 and it's never bored me!
  • edited March 2012
    So, Nick Pryce wants to talk football. Allow me...

Would Mr Dyer care to explain how he became a Kansas City Chiefs fan, and would he like to share his thoughts on the team's chances of winning the AFC West in 2012 now that Peyton Manning is the starting quarterback in Denver?

• edited March 2012
    So, Nick Pryce wants to talk football. Allow me... Would Mr Dyer care to explain how he became a Kansas City Chiefs fan, and would he like to share his thoughts on the team's chances of winning the AFC West in 2012 now that Peyton Manning is the starting quarterback in Denver?
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    Boooooo! Raiders FTW!
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : How can you knock cricket it's the only sport England are actually good at! If played since I was 2 and it's never bored me!
    Posted by Wacko90
    Err, prob best not to mention that right now!
  • edited March 2012
    So, Nick Pryce wants to talk football. Allow me... Would Mr Dyer care to explain how he became a Kansas City Chiefs fan, and would he like to share his thoughts on the team's chances of winning the AFC West in 2012 now that Peyton Manning is the starting quarterback in Denver?
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    English only in the forum please.
  • edited March 2012
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    +1, a great question, always interested to see how ppl get into am ftbl. How does John, sorry I mean James feel about 49ers offense going into the new season, is Moss and Manningham enough.
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : +1, a great question, always interested to see how ppl get into am ftbl. How does John, sorry I mean James feel about 49ers offense going into the new season, is Moss and Manningham enough.
    Posted by KKrippler
    Obviously, Manningham's a great addition to the receiving core and Moss has the potential to make a big career comeback.

I also like the addition of Brandon Jacobs in the backfield to take the pressure off Gore.

Last season's offense was clearly a "work in progress," with Harbaugh identifying the key elements and putting them in the right place.

I really think there's the potential for development during the off-season (remember there was NO off-season last year, due to the lockout) and I expect big things - especially from Alex Smith, who's finally started to show signs of being worthy of his selection as the first overall pick in the 2005 NFL Draft.

• edited March 2012

Pryce, what have you done?...
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Obviously, Manningham's a great addition to the receiving core and Moss has the potential to make a big career comeback. I also like the addition of Brandon Jacobs in the backfield to take the pressure off Gore. Last season's offense was clearly a "work in progress," with Harbaugh identifying the key elements and putting them in the right place. I really think there's the potential for development during the off-season (remember there was NO off-season last year, due to the lockout) and I expect big things - especially from Alex Smith, who's finally started to show signs of being worthy of his selection as the first overall pick in the 2005 NFL Draft.
    Posted by J-Hartigan

So u think Smith is good enough for the 49ers in their quest for a Sbowl. I think he is a very average QB. Against the Giants in the Championship game, he was dire. 

Think the 49ers would have been scary this year with Manning. Smith reminds me of Sanchez, there is too much faith there, and not enough end product. In a QB driven league, you cant win Superbowls with average Qbs.

• edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : So u think Smith is good enough for the 49ers in their quest for a Sbowl. I think he is a very average QB. Against the Giants in the Championship game, he was dire.  Think the 49ers would have been scary this year with Manning. Smith reminds me of Sanchez, there is too much faith there, and not enough end product. In a QB driven league, you cant win Superbowls with average Qbs.
    Posted by KKrippler
    I don't think he's an elite QB, but he's good enough...fow now. Personally, I think he's better than Sanchez. And the 49ers didn't lose the NFC Championship because of Smith!

• edited March 2012

* DIARY GETS MOVED TO FOOTBALL CORNER *
  • edited March 2012
    does dan marinio still play, if he does, does the freezer still catch it! ps wacko, we are only good a sports we can sit down to do, rowing cycling, motor racing with 1 exception and thats darts and we all know how much effort is required for that one :-)
  • edited March 2012
    Hav to say Williams (the young receivor was poor) but Smith could hardly complete a pass. From hero the week before, to what he is - average.

I dont think there is any other QB in the league that has had so many oppurtunities than Smith. Me being a Packers fan for the last 10 years, I am used to class Qb's  ( even are former backup is better (Flynn) imo than Alex Smith). 

Im delighted that the 49ers didnt get Manning, because I dont think the NFC or the race to the Sbowl would be fair.

I like the 49ers for some reason ( think it is because they have an unbelievable defence), but feel their the only elite team in the NFL without an elite Qb. 

Think the NFC West will be a lot more competitve aswell, the Seahawks could be really good this year, and Cardinals towards the back end of last season displayed signs of a promising future. 

Il stop now, cant wait for the new season and the draft, cause the Packers are so boring when it comes to free agency.
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : So u think Smith is good enough for the 49ers in their quest for a Sbowl. I think he is a very average QB. Against the Giants in the Championship game, he was dire.  Think the 49ers would have been scary this year with Manning. Smith reminds me of Sanchez, there is too much faith there, and not enough end product. In a QB driven league, you cant win Superbowls with average Qbs.
    Posted by KKrippler
    Alex Smith has bad games - I remember against Baltimore last season where I bet on him to get over a certain amount of passing yards, he ended up getting something like 150 yards passing and got sacked 10 or 11 times! Needless to say, I didn't win any money on that one... He's definitely not in the same league as Brees, Brady, etc. However, he shows occasionally that he is a better-than-average QB, such as the New Orleans game. He's definitely good enough for the 49ers, at least for the time being IMO.

Think the only person we'll be comparing to Sanchez at the end of the season is Ryan Leaf - Fully expect Tebow to replace him as the Jets' starting QB at some point during the season, if not the start.
  • edited March 2012
    What the blazes has happened here?!?!?  lolz

Got a huge backlog here so going through it now.  While I do, here's something else to throw onto the fire.

The potential petrol drivers strike and the panic buying.  Is everyone in the world an idiot?  It's like crazy town out there.  Now I can accept that if you live in an extremely rural area or have a job like nurse or firefighter, you do need to have a full tank just in case.  But what I've seen out there are Reps, housewives, students etc etc etc going mental for a full tank.  They swarm in like a played violin to drive up all the prices and take all the petrol.  My Lordy if there is an alien race out there about to take over the Earth and they're watching this I imagine they've drastically reduced the numbers of the invasion force to one alien with a magic flute.  To quote Men in Black, a person is smart, people are stupid.

Sadly this matter has hit home.  This is the conversation I had with the GF a few days ago:

GF  'There's a petrol strike coming, should I fill up the tank?'

Me  'We hardly ever use the car, we've got half a tank, no sense panic buying.  We can use the bus if we have to, just use the car for important stuff until this blows over.'

GF  'Ok'

The day after

Me  'Why's the car moved?'

GF  'I panic bought.'

The day after that

Me  'Where are you off to?'

GF  'I'm driving to Westfield to do some shopping.'

IT MAKES NO SENSE
  • edited March 2012
    Questions.......... (1) Did ur disciplinary secondary school teaching skills get u the job as a mod on here? (2) Can we catch the 'other' North london team? (3) What's the worst slowroll you've experienced? (4) How much did you drink yesterday? (5) Any closer to 10 DYMs in a row? (6) Feeling excited about it nearly being 2 weeks off work?
    Posted by phil12uk
    Hey Phil

Sick 14th Royal Flush thread before.  Actually it's been a while since you posted that so you've probably hit the 20 mark by now.

1)  No, if anything my secondary teaching skills are a hindrance here.  Now if I was an infants school teacher that'll be all different ;)  Not sure why I was asked on as a Mod, just hoping I can be good at it and not one of the types of Mods who have frustrated me on forums the web over.  We'll see.

2)  Yes we can.  We've got a much better run in and we're more used to being the underdog.  We just need to get the Arsenal game out of our system, the manner of that defeat is responsible for the blip in form, not Harry for England.

3)  I've been slowrolled a few times.  The worst was in a live game.  I had just tabled my hand (trips, Ace kicker) and that queued the speech.  He showed one card which was the trips card for him and moved into saying 'I bet you thought your ace was good here didn't you?'  I already know what he has, obviously his kicker has paired and he's got a boat.  I just sat there and smiled while he went through the whole routine.  Eventually he turned over the second card and while the dealer shuffled up I asked very nicely for him to not slowroll.  I hope he learnt two things.

a)  Slowrolling is no appreciated, it can make people dislike you.
    b)  Definitely don't slowroll the person who's sat directly next to you.

He didn't so it again.

4)  Too much.  Far too much

5)  No closer, can't get over 6 but been to the 5s and 6s a few times.

6)  Always :)
  • edited March 2012
    I switched off when the nerd talk began. What happened to Football and Poker :(
    Posted by pryce6
    Pryce6, officially too cool for this diary.  I saw on Twitter you'll be playing that fessie at the Fox.  Good luck, try not to let the allure of Soho grab you.  I've lost many a friend to the aroma of fine Chinese dinning and fabulous disco dancing.
  • edited March 2012
    Yeah i wasnt impressed with one of the trolls, shouldnt really get involved with it but initially just trying to get them to respect players. Whats even worse he started abusing one player, which i dont understand why just keyboard warrior stuff but hope they get a chat ban in an ideal world. I agree 99% of rail was good as ever, it really was an amazing Final table loved it! I hope constant trolling any big event doesnt affect everyones right to chat on the rail as it will happen eventually imo. Ignore player would be a great idea GL in vegas sats Tommy, pretty sure u will get there eventually barring running awful. Might aswell post a question while im in here, are u impressed with Arsenal's form? a mix of them doing well and spurs stuttering altho partly due to a tought run of games. On a side note Spurs one of my least fave teams but i have enjoyed watching them this season and even went to St James Park in the Spurs end which was brilliant. 
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    Of course I'm impressed with Arsenal's form.  They've really turned it around.  I've always said (well, for at least half of the season) that I think Arsenal will finish forth and it's Chelsea who will miss out on the Champions League.  I'm standing by this.  Then again, Arsenal are still one RVP injury away from having some real problems.

St James Park?  When did Spurs play Exeter?  (That was mainly directed at the GF, after a recent trip to see her family in Newcastle I think I may have overdone the ribbing regarding the Sports Direct Arena.  Tip for anyone else headed to that neck of the woods, don't try that gag in any crowded pubs.  Seriously).
  • edited March 2012
    Since when have you been a mod Mr D? 
  • edited March 2012
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    Ok, I was young and foolish.  I decided to support American Sports teams the way the Americans do.  Pick a city and that's yours for the lot.  This was ages ago in my pre-teenage years when I would watch American Football on Channel 4 on a Sunday evening and listen to Baseball at night on my Walkman (I managed to pick up the American Armed Forces radio signal somehow so nights I couldn't sleep were spent listening to that grainy signal intermitted with various strongly worded U.S. News bulletins).

So I'm like 10 or 11.  I had two Childhood crushes related to Movies when I was a kid.  One was Annie (I have no idea) and the other was the actress who played Dorothy in Return to Oz, one Fairuza Balk.  Now the logic when I was picking my city was:

I like her
    Dorothy came from Kansas
    Let's pick Kansas.

Yes it makes no sense but being someone who believes once you've chosen, you never switch, I've supported The Chiefs and The Royals ever since.

What of Fairuza?  Well we are still yet to meet and fall in love, but this is clearly still on the cards.  She's had a decent career in movies and looked exceptionally hot in American History X.  Well, for a Neo Nazi.

The Chief's chances next season?  A little less than before which even then was unlikely, I'm not convinced that Manning is fully over his injury or that he will totally revamp Denver.  The Broncos will obv be fave for the Division but until proven otherwise it's still a terrible Division.  And I'm glad to see we've signed another bust at QB.  Yey!  Can we please either have an awesome season or a whitewash season?  Just muddling along doesn't get you decent draft picks.  Blooming Colts, dominate for ages, have one bad season and it's 'Here, have a great pick!'
  • edited March 2012
    Since when have you been a mod Mr D? 
    Posted by dylan12
    Since near the start of the year Dyl.  And less of that lip now Sunshine ;)
  • edited March 2012

*Fourth.....not forth! 

More of the spelling checks Teach!
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Since near the start of the year Dyl.  And less of that lip now Sunshine ;)
    Posted by TommyD
    Ah nice one mate, well deserved :) glgl with it! 
  • edited March 2012
    And back to the poker......

Levels upon levels upon levels.

Had this hand today.  Now I've blanked the villian's name here as it's not a TV table and he takes a freaky line which works like a charm so I don't want to hurt the guy's game.  In my opinion he's one of the best players on the site and lately has been crushing me. 

The real interesting point is the flop.  Now if a random player or someone who I regard as weak does the super weak lead I dismiss it and pop it up in this spot.  If it was analysed on TV and the name of the guy was TAKA_DAVE, he'd be shot down as a bad player.  If it was on the show with the name of the guy who did it, they'll cotton on to what he's doing and call it a great play.  Here's where the levels upon levels come in, if someone has a history of decent play and results we, as poker players, often look for the good in the line.  If they have no history or are a fresh face, they'd be insta-labelled bad.

When the super small bet comes in I'm worried about a set of Queens or Jacks, I think it's a bet to induce.  He's certainly flatting OOP with those two hands pre.  I thought 'XXXX isn't going to try this to buy a card for the flush is he?  With that newbie bet?  He's trying to get me to pop it because that's what I always do in this spot.'  Boom.  FTIW I think the villian has nailed me down to the top end of my range and has played be like a violin.  But again, I'm only giving him credit because I respect his game so much, maybe it is a bad line.  Or a misclick.  Feel free to discuss, I'd love the villain to join in but totally understand if he doesn't.  After putting lower sets firmly in the villian's range and me possibly having plenty of two card, top pair combinations I think I have to stack off after the turn.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    varney Small blind  £0.50 £0.50 £137.53
    Mco001 Big blind  £1.00 £1.50 £56.91
     Your hole cards
    • A
    • A

Raise  £4.00 £5.50 £96.00
    TommyD Raise  £12.00 £17.50 £135.30
    kidwizzz78 Fold     
    ACOZUBI Call  £12.00 £29.50 £104.04
    varney Fold     
    Mco001 Fold     
    Call  £8.00 £37.50 £88.00
    Flop

• Q
    • J

Bet  £2.00 £39.50 £86.00
    TommyD Call  £2.00 £41.50 £133.30
    ACOZUBI Call  £2.00 £43.50 £102.04
    Turn

• A

Bet  £25.00 £68.50 £61.00
    TommyD Call  £25.00 £93.50 £108.30
    ACOZUBI Fold     
    River

All-in  £61.00 £154.50 £0.00
    TommyD Call  £61.00 £215.50 £47.30
    Show

TommyD Show
    • A
    • A

Win Flush to the Ace £213.70
  • edited March 2012
    I don't see that your read about it being a bet to induce is necessarily wrong since he can't be too unhappy about getting it all in here ??   He's almost flipping against your actual hand and still has almost 35% against top set

Calling to see a "safe" turn card on such a scary flop wouldn't be a terrible play for me. I dont like stacking off against 2 oppos when the flush hits.
  • edited March 2012
    I don't see that your read about it being a bet to induce is necessarily wrong since he can't be too unhappy about getting it all in here ??   He's almost flipping against your actual hand and still has almost 35% against top set Calling to see a "safe" turn card on such a scary flop wouldn't be a terrible play for me. I dont like stacking off against 2 oppos when the flush hits.
    Posted by simonnatur
    He may well be going with it on the flop, my problem is his hand is the nut best for me in his getting it in range and I'm still not in a crushing spot.  The turn changes this as I now crush a big part of his range and am in a bad spot against the flush.  I don't think he's flatting pre with KT so I discounted that, was a little surprised to see what he did flat with OOP but I think this is due to the other player in the pot.  Certainly the third player makes the flop spot a lot harder for me.

You say you don't like the stack off, at what point in the hand are you folding my hand?
  • edited March 2012
    I have just been alerted to the fact that your poker hero and mine, Mr Pryce6, is on the live streamed feature table of the event at The Fox, London.

I've tweeted the link (I'm @TommyDyer) or google is your friend, so why not wind down on a Friday by watching Nick playing poker while beening commentated on by Mad Marty Wilson.  This might just be a treat you cannot miss.
  • edited March 2012
    as you describe the hand i think you should jam the turn.
    if we are never folding a brick river then flushes will always stack us regardless of whether we jam turn or call/call (unless we improve).

however vs 2pair's / sets if the river isnt a brick and it comes a T,K or spade we can lose action when we have the best hand, and also lose the hand to QsX if the flush comes in, if you think he will fold 2pair/sets on turn then calling is prob best
  • edited March 2012
    He'd fold two pair and possibly bottom set if I jammed the turn.  Jamming the turn might well be the best line though, really think Acozubi complicated things for me but won't go too much into his calling range as I've left his name in, should have edited him really.  Slap my hand.