You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.

Comments

• edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.:
    new battlestar = class (starbuck hot) not keen on caprica mind. stargate universe made by the same people i would immagine, robert carlyle is very good. star wars very over rated. star trek voyager best of all the star trek (7 of 9 helps ob)
    Posted by pod1
    star trek (7 of 9 helps ob)

Maybe only redeeming feature of Star Trek Voyager !! All Star trek episodes as a rule involving the borg are all good.....Ergo her being 1/2 borg helps alot!
  • edited March 2012
    @Tommy, The first trailer for Dark Shadows is here... http://t.co/5efux6Eh
    Posted by Glenelg
    Cheers Pad, I like the look of that.  Firstly let me get over my surprise that a Tim Burton movie stars Depp and has Bonham Carter in a supporting role.  Looks like a lot of fun and Burton does crazy weird marvelously well.
  • edited March 2012
    Questions..........
    (1) Did ur disciplinary secondary school teaching skills get u the job as a mod on here?
    (2) Can we catch the 'other' North london team?
    (3) What's the worst slowroll you've experienced?
    (4) How much did you drink yesterday?
    (5) Any closer to 10 DYMs in a row?
    (6) Feeling excited about it nearly being 2 weeks off work?
  • edited March 2012

(2) Can we catch the 'other' North london team?

Obviously not ! especially the way your team are playing at the minute. Luckily Chelsea are also playing s h ite football, so by default you should be fine for the champions league again.
  • edited March 2012
    I know I've been lazy with this the last week, many apologies.  I will respond to everything outstanding above by this time tomorrow (hopefully).

Just railed the VLV final.  Amazing stuff.  Many congrats to Foley and RT for winning packages.  Very well played and very unlucky for everyone else at the FT, such a sick bubble.

Sadly while 99% of the chatbox rail was quality there were a few trolls lurking.  Some were very obvious, some quite smart about it.  One such gentleman who I believe was in the later category despite coming out with a lot of chat which would fall in the former was unerringly persistent.  I tried to chatbox police a little, not sure why I do that but it just annoys me when there are players at a huge final and you have that go off.  I tried the usual, ask nicely.  That failed.  Start talking about the channels after 865, usually a banker, that failed.  Maybe it was the hang over or my general grumpiness today but I thought I'd fire a third bullet and just offer Heads Up for Rollz.  Heads up play was accepted on the provision if took place after the finish of the VLV FT.  I've just left the HU table after getting a no show :sadface:

The more ill judged rail talk does tend to interest me in terms of analysing the human condition.  You have some who just want to spout bile at someone, usually a running grudge or a desperate plea for attention.  You have militant supporting to the lengths of disrespectful comments on other players which I see as a desperate attempt to gain success by proxy, a truly strange phenomenon.  Another element which appeared was how stress and seeming disappointment can make people quick to attack.  It was real eye opening stuff.

As for my VLV chances, I'm deep in a satellite hole without binking a seat for any level.  Time to wipe the slate and try for next month's final anew, I need my Tikay Butler experience.
  • edited March 2012
    Yeah i wasnt impressed with one of the trolls, shouldnt really get involved with it but initially just trying to get them to respect players. Whats even worse he started abusing one player, which i dont understand why just keyboard warrior stuff but hope they get a chat ban in an ideal world.

I agree 99% of rail was good as ever, it really was an amazing Final table loved it! I hope constant trolling any big event doesnt affect everyones right to chat on the rail as it will happen eventually imo. Ignore player would be a great idea

GL in vegas sats Tommy, pretty sure u will get there eventually barring running awful.

Might aswell post a question while im in here, are u impressed with Arsenal's form? a mix of them doing well and spurs stuttering altho partly due to a tought run of games. On a side note Spurs one of my least fave teams but i have enjoyed watching them this season and even went to St James Park in the Spurs end which was brilliant. 

• edited March 2012
    Poker was mixed today.  FT bubbled the Main (darn those flippy flops) and managed to lock my SPT Cardiff Seat after two straight up bubbles.  I loved Cardiff last year, any place where they call Omaha '4 card' is a place to get on the waiting list.  The venue is fabulous as well, a whole floor dedicated to poker and Chinese food.  Definitely Heaven on Earth.  Plus last year I got to share a room with Greg and obviously if he ever makes the November Nine I now have several compromising pictures of him after finding out he's quite a deep sleeper.

DYM challenge, did another five and oppo took a flippity flop versus me and that was that.

Run bad/played worse in the first cash session, got most of it back in the second.  Plus I found out that even if pocket aces are led by a full unit of cavalry with accompanying bugles and drums I will still not fold Kings preflop.  Good to know in the future.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    HITMAN_RV Small blind  £0.50 £0.50 £184.51
    TommyD Big blind  £1.00 £1.50 £112.59
     Your hole cards
    • K
    • K

pRBLMgMBLA Fold     
    beaneh Raise  £4.00 £5.50 £97.50
    simuk Raise  £13.00 £18.50 £109.02
    TONYMC61 Fold     
    HITMAN_RV Raise  £28.00 £46.50 £156.51
    TommyD Call  £27.50 £74.00 £85.09
    beaneh Fold     
    simuk Fold     
    Flop

HITMAN_RV Check     
    TommyD Bet  £35.00 £109.00 £50.09
    HITMAN_RV All-in  £156.51 £265.51 £0.00
    TommyD All-in  £50.09 £315.60 £0.00
    HITMAN_RV Unmatched bet  £71.42 £244.18 £71.42
    HITMAN_RV Show
    • A
    • A

TommyD Show
    • K
    • K

Turn

River

HITMAN_RV Win Full House, 10s and Aces £242.38
  • edited March 2012
    Come up with a few ideas lately.

Got an idea for the Blackpool SPT (will reveal soon, PMs have been sent).  Sorry to be a tease.

The weighted contribution thread has really made me think.  I don't want that discussion to spill over to here but as a result I realise how silly it's been by not opening new tables for cash sessions.  I have never been worried abut playing HU for a bit and I don't sit out regs, I've just been lazy and like to rail running tables to get a feel for those playing.  I've decided that for the foreseeable future when I crack open a cash session set of tables, at least one will be a table I open/has one person on.  They don't take long to fill usually and if a lot of regs did this then we might really get some tables running.

On a second point I've been racking my brains trying to come up with a reason the old live cash poker fee playing system of 'sessions' would be better than the rake for online games.  Sadly I can't come up with any coherent argument for this, it's just unworkable.  Would be nice though if rake never existed, we had no knowledge of it and sessions was all that was there, I really believe sessions force you to play a little looser plus there's more to win in the middle.  If people wanted to play, they'd have to play.

Oh well.
  • edited March 2012
    This post hopefully won't come over as fan stalker....lol, but just caught up with thread .Like it alot, haven't been online playing for a while having had a "drunken!" episode on sky vegas with blackjack and "low stakes!" roulette crippling all funds!!!  Discuss...... 1) Original Batmans were Cac k and the new ones are darker and better for it ! 2) Superman until it got a tv series (apart from the Richard Pryers character) was Sh ite. 3) Babylon 5 was a classic for its time. 4) Battlestar Gallactica ! Do you prefer the original with Starbuck as a man(Dirk Benedict) or the newish! incarnation with starbuck as a woman but hugely better story lines and cooler cylons and special effects....(Sad confession have both the original and new series on dvd and love them both!(maybe more newer version,but close call!)) 5) All the Star Wars movies were Shi te and not just the new ones...........(I'll get in my bunker for the responses!) Good luck at the tables, may play your level in 10 years or a drunken weekend soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cheers Dave.
    Posted by Any2Suited
    Hey Any2, you're question are right in my wheelhouse :)

1)  The first two Batman films weren't that bad.  Batman suffered from making it about The Joker (which in some part was the same problem with Dark Knight).  I loved Keaton's interpretation of the Wayne/Batman combination.  He played Wayne as unsure while alone, bravado when in company and Batman as a single minded force of nature.  Batman Returns was decent, despite the 'resurrection by cats' and 'raised by penguins' origins of the two main villains which was frankly shocking.  The major flaw with both was because they came from a comic book the director decided to make them somewhat cartoony.  Batman is a gritty interpretation of modern life in a semi dystopian parallel Earth.  Of course as soon as Schumacher got involved it made Tim Burton's films look as gritty as Black Hawk Down.  I hated Forever and 'and Robin.'  Tommy Lee Jones played Two-Face as a low rent Joker, Jim Carey played Jim Carey, Arnie's pun-tasiums became old very quickly and the scripts were terrible.  I really believe the Adam West TV Movie is better than 'Batman and Robin.'

The new ones are much better, but not without their flaws.  We are yet to see a great Batman film IMO, however looking at the trailers for 'Dark Knight Rises' we may have so  me chances.  I love Nolan's direction in these and if he could just focus the scripts a little better without trying to give everyone in the ensemble cast their own set piece we could be in for a real treat.

2)  The original Christopher Reeve Superman film is a masterpiece.  Perfect pace, great story (Luthor isn't trying to kill thousands of people, his whole plan is a Real Estate Con which just so happens to involve thousands of deaths, seriously the coolest evil plan I think I've seen in a movie), great balance and big finish.  Reeve plays both roles to perfection.

The original films go steadily downhill for me in the order of 2 - decent, 3 - really bad, 4 - a steaming pile of celluloid.

When you say TV series I really hope you're talking about Smallville rather than The Adventures of Lois and Clark.  There have been tons of Superman TV series, which one did you mean?

3)  I love Babylon 5.  Did you know JMS was one of the original idea pitchers of Star Trek - Deep Space 9?  He got rejected and made his idea anyway in the form of B5, and they made DS9 pretty much along his lines anyway.

4)  I much prefer the new Battlestar to the old one.  Concerning Starbuck, the world of the fanboy totally misunderstood that.  People were crying out 'why is Starbuck going to be a woman?'  The problem is the Dirk Starbuck had become such a cult favourite that they had to make the new one a woman.  You could have Gary Oldman play Starbuck and still 95% of the hardcore audience would say 'He's good, but he's no Benedict.'

Strangely my favourite BS episode comes from the old series and from the worst season of that series.  Near the end of that awful Battlestar 1985 (I think that's the year, not sure though) run they have a stand alone episode which is essentially the final fate of Starbuck.  It's a fine charector piece and the best bit of the whole of the old series.

5)  You're comments on Star Wars deserve a post all on their own.  In brief, you Sir are wrong.  However George Lucas will probably change that comment a few times and add a few pictures of Jawas.
  • edited March 2012

Tommy,I definitely meant the Smallville incarnation of Superman.I loved Babylon 5 and thought the Shadows and Centauri as baddies were great, and the arc storyline that emerged through the series was brilliant. With the Star Wars comment just thought i might stir the pot for any response! I saw the first one just after its release, at an outdoor screening in the middle east against a clear starlit sky at the age of 7 or 8 and was mesmerised by the film and setting in which i saw the film.

• edited March 2012
    I have never watched Lord of the rings or star wars.
  • edited March 2012
    Posted by Poker_Fail
    You have one week to put this right.

Otherwise, the ARL2 title, and all associated prizes, will be revoked!

• edited March 2012
    Posted by Poker_Fail
    Start the Stars Wars watching from 'New Hope,' not 'Phantom Menace.'  Do it now.

Lord of the Rings - great epic, however if you have the extended edition please book off a week from work/kiss sunlight goodbye.
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : You have one week to put this right. Otherwise, the ARL2 title, and all associated prizes, will be revoked!
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    Utto! Do I have to watch all (nine??????) films!?
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Start the Stars Wars watching from 'New Hope,' not 'Phantom Menace.'  Do it now. Lord of the Rings - great epic, however if you have the extended edition please book off a week from work/kiss sunlight goodbye.
    Posted by TommyD
    I might just wait til next winter then :)
  • edited March 2012
    Posted by Poker_Fail
    +1.

Ok, that's not quite true.

I was taken to watch LOTR1 and got a dead leg from it's mind-numbing awfulness. However, I have never walked out on a film & am always hopeful of a good ending (everyone dying and sparing the world two sequels would have been the best scenario here), so spent the last 45 mins walking up and down the aisles/back row to shake it off.

Sean Bean getting shot five times and giving a dying speech between each arrow would have been too embarrasing even by Bollywood standards - in fact, bollywood would at least have thrown in @ least half a dozen song&dance numbers to alleviate the tedium!

I have never seen Star Wars, but suspect that just like LOTR and the HP series, is completely overhyped.

So don't let James blackmail you & ignore him!
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : +1. Ok, that's not quite true. I was taken to watch LOTR1 and got a dead leg from it's mind-numbing awfulness. However, I have never walked out on a film & am always hopeful of a good ending (everyone dying and sparing the world two sequels would have been the best scenario here), so spent the last 45 mins walking up and down the aisles/back row to shake it off. Sean Bean getting shot five times and giving a dying speech between each arrow would have been too embarrasing even by Bollywood standards - in fact, bollywood would at least have thrown in @ least half a dozen song&dance numbers to alleviate the tedium! I have never seen Star Wars, but suspect that just like LOTR and the HP series, is completely overhyped. So don't let James blackmail you & ignore him!
    Posted by JingleMa
    Fans of Jackie Chan movies should NOT be listened to! ;-)

• edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : +1. Ok, that's not quite true. I was taken to watch LOTR1 and got a dead leg from it's mind-numbing awfulness. However, I have never walked out on a film & am always hopeful of a good ending (everyone dying and sparing the world two sequels would have been the best scenario here), so spent the last 45 mins walking up and down the aisles/back row to shake it off. Sean Bean getting shot five times and giving a dying speech between each arrow would have been too embarrasing even by Bollywood standards - in fact, bollywood would at least have thrown in @ least half a dozen song&dance numbers to alleviate the tedium! I have never seen Star Wars, but suspect that just like LOTR and the HP series, is completely overhyped. So don't let James blackmail you & ignore him!
    Posted by JingleMa
    Surely the best prolonged death scene is Alan Rickman in Robin Hood:  Prince of Thieves.  Stab, wander, drop sword, stumble, pull out knife, hop, drop knife, wander again, fall, crawl, nearly get up, crawl again and then sigh.  It's the ultimate slowroll of death scenes.

The crazy witch woman comes back from the death.
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Surely the best prolonged death scene is Alan Rickman in Robin Hood:  Prince of Thieves.  Stab, wander, drop sword, stumble, pull out knife, hop, drop knife, wander again, fall, crawl, nearly get up, crawl again and then sigh.  It's the ultimate slowroll of death scenes. The crazy witch woman comes back from the death.
    Posted by TommyD

I thought you had been told about naming and shaming slowrolls!!! Tut Tut.

You should of just said 'that bloke from Nottingham wearing green tights', and no one would of guessed it was Greghogg!  
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : I thought you had been told about naming and shaming slowrolls!!! Tut Tut. You should of just said 'that bloke from Nottingham wearing green tights', and no one would of guessed it was Greghogg!  
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Crazy Who?
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Fans of Jackie Chan movies should ALWAYS be listened to! ;-)
    Posted by J-Hartigan

FYP. ;-)

Seriously though, his HK films from the 80's are mind-boggling - nothing has matched them before or since, and most likely never will.

They wouldn't let him make them in Hollywood without suitable insurance and no studio was willing to give him it. (or he would have had to make big compromises on what he did). They just let him get on with it in China, and if he died - well meh, he died! (Ivan Drago ftw).

Hollywood producers were still stunningly ignorant of him until the late 90's when he finally got a deal to make Rush Hour - in the scene when he's handcuffed to a steering wheel, he's explaining to the director what he's going to do and the producer steps in and says, "what does he mean - he's going to run up that wall, climb on that tree and jump through the bedroom window??" Um... yeah!

But it's his 80's stuff which is the real Chan - Project A, Armour of God, Operation Condor, Police Story 1+2, Dragons Forever, Wheels on Meals... just don't watch them for the plot!

Remember, this was all done without wires (Jet Li, Crouching Tiger), CGI (Matrix, all other Hollywood superhero guff) or blue/green screen (Lord of the bloody Rings etc).

Awesome.*

*(Obviously, these are the blatherings of a massive fan-boy, but his work is still totally worth checking out!!)

• edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Surely the best prolonged death scene is Alan Rickman in Robin Hood:  Prince of Thieves.  Stab, wander, drop sword, stumble, pull out knife, hop, drop knife, wander again, fall, crawl, nearly get up, crawl again and then sigh. 1. It's the ultimate slowroll of death scenes. 2. The crazy witch woman comes back from the death.
    Posted by TommyD

1. And he still managed to do it quicker than any one of the 8000 lingering shots of a field or mountain in LOTR.

2. She's allowed to - she's a witch.

FWIW, I thought Michael Keaton's batman was the best (and you have to focus on the Joker for a large chunk of the film, he's a great character - a good baddie should always steal the film a la Rickman in RH:POT and Die Hard). The last Batman film was good2, but I agree it was too clunky in parts.

• edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : FYP. ;-) Seriously though, his HK films from the 80's are mind-boggling - nothing has matched them before or since, and most likely never will. They wouldn't let him make them in Hollywood without suitable insurance and no studio was willing to give him it. (or he would have had to make big compromises on what he did). They just let him get on with it in China, and if he died - well meh, he died! (Ivan Drago ftw). Hollywood producers were still stunningly ignorant of him until the late 90's when he finally got a deal to make Rush Hour - in the scene when he's handcuffed to a steering wheel, he's explaining to the director what he's going to do and the producer steps in and says, "what does he mean - he's going to run up that wall, climb on that tree and jump through the bedroom window??" Um... yeah! But it's his 80's stuff which is the real Chan - Project A, Armour of God, Operation Condor, Police Story 1+2, Dragons Forever, Wheels on Meals... just don't watch them for the plot! Remember, this was all done without wires (Jet Li, Crouching Tiger), CGI (Matrix, all other Hollywood superhero guff) or blue/green screen (Lord of the bloody Rings etc). Awesome.* *(Obviously, these are the blatherings of a massive fan-boy, but his work is still totally worth checking out!!)
    Posted by JingleMa

+1 awesome

• edited March 2012

U know it Geld! :)
  • edited March 2012
    How can you knock the LOTR trilogy! They're fantastic films, perfectly produced and great acting with a inspiring storyline, great war and action scenes with a bit of romance, and bromance, spectacular scenery and one of the best movie soundtracks ever written what more can you ask for??? :P Great trilogy! Do like some Jackie Chan stuff, big fan of the rush hour films too, his partnership with Chris tucker was like orford and Giddins :D

Was nice catching up with you Tommy apologies for chatting away like an idiot i cant stop sometimes :P Great thread btw, class read hope it continues!
  • edited March 2012
    How can you knock the LOTR trilogy! They're fantastic films, perfectly produced and great acting with a inspiring storyline, great war and action scenes with a bit of romance, and bromance, spectacular scenery and one of the best movie soundtracks ever written what more can you ask for??? :P Great trilogy! Do like some Jackie Chan stuff, big fan of the rush hour films too, his partnership with Chris tucker was like orford and Giddins :D Was nice catching up with you Tommy apologies for chatting away like an idiot i cant stop sometimes :P Great thread btw, class read hope it continues!
    Posted by Wacko90
    What can I say, just didn't do it4me @ all.

Yeah, Rush Hour 1+2 are real gems4the quotes&comedy.

Classic Tucker line from when he's about to be executed by the triads in the chinese restaurant:

"No no, he meant cut me loose! That's right man, me and him share the same mama - I'm Blackanese!!"
  • edited March 2012
    I switched off when the nerd talk began.

What happened to Football and Poker :(
  • edited March 2012
    at least it aint cricket unluck another diary thread :-)
  • edited March 2012
    at least it aint cricket unluck another diary thread :-)
    Posted by pod1
    English only in the Forum please.
  • edited March 2012
    pedantic!!! :-)