You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.

Comments

• edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.:
    Ok diary update.  I think I'm up to date with all the questions, if I missed you please PM me, post here or just bump your question.  I won't mind and I'm trying to answer everything. Feel like an old man today.  Got a bit annoyed in a cantankerous manner before.  I busted the VLV Semi in a cooler spot, continued the grind and popped back to the FT to wish everyone good luck.  One semi-reg was giving the big one to someone on the FT who had put a beat on him and I got annoyed.  I shouldn't I know, but I just can't help it when I see a guy who has obvious talent act in such a thoughtless manner. Of course I thought he was referring to another beat the same player put on him a few hands before so I probably looked a bit silly for a bit, doesn't really bother me, I do that from time to time. I really object to the term 'tard.'  It's a stock word in the modern online poker world as well as my generation and the younger one.  Both that and 'gay' seem to be acceptable insults.  I think that's just sad. I feel sadder that I see a person with obvious talent get wrapped up in the idea they should be invincible because of this talent.  Maybe that's because I think I made a big mistake in my past and wasted something close to talent myself, maybe I just don't want someone else to do it.  Then again I wouldn't have listened to someone like me when I was that age anyway. Like I said, I feel old today.  If someone can come in with a joke right now to lift the mood that would be splendid. I end with Spam,  I'm on the live shows this Tuesday from 8pm.  Come, watch, bring questions!!!!
    Posted by TommyD
      Excellent thread Sir and could run for some time.

Quick Q for you, if Holly Willoughby was your daughter would you still be bathing here?

If the Q doesnt bring a smile to your face I am sure the thought will.
  • edited March 2012
    You can't fold once that turn comes. Flop is perfect though.

Joesman is good though peeling 34 from 13 bigs. But 4 HI wins sometimes init let's see a flop.
  • edited March 2012
    Tommy, I'm hi-jacking your thread.

I'll disguise it as a question to your good self Thomas.

Is anything more important than laughing?

Laughing's the best. I made a bit at a cash table this weekend. I min-cashed at the tourney. I went home and won my local game. I don't care, not important. More important was the laugh I had. So many bampots I met drunk, gambling, and at least as bemused by life as I was. Some of the logic I came across for playing poker just made me cry with laughter. Poker's just a wee hobby I have that allows me to run into like minded chaps that find life funny. It's ace.

As a teacher you must have had a few laughs at kids Thomas. I coached an U7 football team for 4 years and it was hilarious some of the stuff they came out with. Somersualts/WWE moves on the pitch, ignoring me, when I was doing my Mourinho stuff was a bit annoying, but, ultimately, amusing.

My point is : Cannae mind to be honest. Laughing's better than anything though, eh?
  • edited March 2012

'VLV qualification spend is currently at around £350, expect this to rise.'

Really that much allready? WOW. How much have you set aside for qualification attempts before you say enough is enough or are you going for it whatever the cost this year??

Its just been announced on Sky Sports that Jose is going back to Chelski, Harry has gone to take the England Job and the new manager of Spurs is Wenger :) 
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Hi Steve, sorry it took me a few days to respond to this, I've been rushed off my feet. My subject is secondary school maths, like yours. Poker books?  I haven't read that many to be completely honest.  I like looking at various forums such as the Clinic here as I find poker is such a rapidly developing game that most books become out of date very quickly.  I would recommend the Super Systems, particularly if you're interested in games other than NLHE.  I love the first chapter of Mike Caro's 'Book of Tells.'  The first chapter has nothing to do with tells and while the rest of the book is humorous for the 1970's photos of bad suits and funny haircuts, it's not completely useful.  The first chapter explains a mental concept called 'The Rule of Loose Wiring' which I think is vital for every poker player to understand. As for the article, I'll give it a bash.  Won't be finished for a while but I'll post it here is stages for everyone.  It might be dross, it might be good, either way it'll be here. Thanks again Sir and good luck at the tables.
    Posted by TommyD
    Cheers for the reply Tommy. i'll keep a close eye out for those articles as i need that direction. God knows where you get the time if you're still teaching! It can be such a preparation consuming job at times. I'm glad to be having time to put to other things, i must admit.
    My kids bought me, with prompting, the book ' The Mathematics of poker' . one chapter later and i think i need tuition!!! God, how it slides away, eh? 
    All the best in your vegas qualifying efforts. maybe one day i'll give it a try.....probably in 2017....
    I'm enjoying the community now and getting more involved. your diary has provided that initial push o many thanks.                                 
                                                                  keep it steady
                                                                       Steve aka profman15

PS saw Starkey on QT too. Loved the comment the gent in audience provided about UK should put political and economic pressure on China and Russia.  I laughed out loud just as much at that as Starkey's exasperated response.
  • edited March 2012

Good luck for the show Tuesday! Have you been on before? (I'm guessing not.)  How are you feeling about it? 

• edited March 2012
    In Response to RE:
    You can't fold once that turn comes. Flop is perfect though. Joesman is good though peeling 34 from 13 bigs. But 4 HI wins sometimes init let's see a flop.
    Posted by pryce6
    Yeah I figured I couldn't fold, also figured the end result was my best case scenario.  Probably had to gamble to get a triple, just can't help thinking there may have been a better spot to get  double.  Probably just being results orientated.
  • edited March 2012
     'VLV qualification spend is currently at around £350, expect this to rise .' Really that much allready? WOW. How much have you set aside for qualification attempts before you say enough is enough or are you going for it whatever the cost this year?? Its just been announced on Sky Sports that Jose is going back to Chelski, Harry has gone to take the England Job and the new manager of Spurs is Wenger :)  
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Yup that much, two missed quarters and a missed semi direct buy in.

I'm pretty much determined to make it so I haven't set a limit on how much I'm going to invest.

I will clearly be the next Spurs manager, my Championship Manager record is off the chart.
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. :   Excellent thread Sir and could run for some time.   Quick Q for you, if Holly Willoughby was your daughter would you still be bathing here?     If the Q doesnt bring a smile to your face I am sure the thought will.
    Posted by pomfrittes
    Ha ha.  Thanks for the cheery image Pom.  I will be a bit choosey though and swap out Holly for Claudia Winkleman.
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Ha ha.  Thanks for the cheery image Pom.  I will be a bit choosey though and swap out Holly for Claudia Winkleman.
    Posted by TommyD

Of course, thinking mans totty for you.
  • edited March 2012
    Good luck for the show Tuesday! Have you been on before? (I'm guessing not.)  How are you feeling about it? 
    Posted by Glenelg
    Yes I was one of the first guests on 'The Grind,' a feature on Mastercash about two years ago where a guest would come into the studio and play on the MC tables while having their thoughts on the hand explained/Tikay and Rich taking the Mickey out of them.  That was a great laugh and while I think I did OK on the TV, I really did awful on the tables.  There was a time limit and until the last twenty or so I was grinding along nicely.  As soon as that limit appeared on the horizon then it was crazy time, had a spectator series of car crash hands to finish well down.

I'm really looking forward to the shows tomorrow.  No real nerves about being on the TV but that's mainly down to the fact I have been doing Community and before that University Radio for fifteen years.  Back at Uni I created and hosted a late night talk show which had listener figures peaking at about forty thousand people.  That many people listening to me talking rubbish?  Everything after that is easy game.
  • edited March 2012
    Tommy, I'm hi-jacking your thread. I'll disguise it as a question to your good self Thomas. Is anything more important than laughing? Laughing's the best. I made a bit at a cash table this weekend. I min-cashed at the tourney. I went home and won my local game. I don't care, not important. More important was the laugh I had. So many bampots I met drunk, gambling, and at least as bemused by life as I was. Some of the logic I came across for playing poker just made me cry with laughter. Poker's just a wee hobby I have that allows me to run into like minded chaps that find life funny. It's ace. As a teacher you must have had a few laughs at kids Thomas. I coached an U7 football team for 4 years and it was hilarious some of the stuff they came out with. Somersualts/WWE moves on the pitch, ignoring me, when I was doing my Mourinho stuff was a bit annoying, but, ultimately, amusing. My point is : Cannae mind to be honest. Laughing's better than anything though, eh?
    Posted by bandini
    Laughing is the best thing to do and the best thing to hear.  Except in bed.  Then it's a real worry.
  • edited March 2012
    wbn if they did the grind again, id love a shot at it :) 
  • edited March 2012
    now that did make me laugh!!!
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Yes I was one of the first guests on 'The Grind,' a feature on Mastercash about two years ago where a guest would come into the studio and play on the MC tables while having their thoughts on the hand explained
    Posted by TommyD
    Wow I only joined last March so have never seen this, sounds like an amazing show!

It would be a great use of the quality guests they are bringing in to make them sit down 4tabling NL50/100/200 whatever for a few hours followed by some fasttrack analysis of the hands that he didn't fold pre (and some maybe interesting spots he did fold pre eg JJ to very tight player cold 3bet etc)
  • edited March 2012
    In case you guys missed it, I'll be on the live shows tomorrow night from 8pm.  I have no idea what the show topics will be yet but I'd love to have as many questions as possible.  Hopefully it'll be an entertaining show for you.  I'll probably diary the experience, including what I'm sure will be Tikay's favourite part, driving nearly the entire North Circular road.  There's sure to be at least 17 bridges to see, each more interesting than the next.

I've lucked out with the professionals as I'm on with the lovely Anna and the even more lovely Ryan.  I'm determined not to have a hand rant on the show.  This will probably fail.  Should be good though.

• edited March 2012

Good luck Tommy, we're looking forward to it.
  • edited March 2012

Just a quick post to say how much I'm enjoying your thread.

Good luck on the show tonight, really looking forward to it.

• edited March 2012

Ok just enough time to say thank you for all the good luck messages everyone.

If you find me dull tonight:

1)  At least you have Ryan and Anna who will be on sparkling form as always.

2)  Why not enact the SkyPoker drinking game (For the lawyers, this does not have to be alcohol.  What you drink is entirely up to you.  Personally I'd go for a spot of Pimms).

When someone open limps preflop, take a shot.

When someone calls with a raggy ace out of position, take a shot.

When Ryan rants, take a shot.

When I say a player will do one thing and they do another, take a shot.

When I get someone's name wrong accidentally, take a shot.

When I get someone's name wrong on purpose, take two shots (If Hurst-o, Gadger-no or Petal are playing then this could get messy).

When someone TV tarts three different Mastercash tables then take three shots (I won't be playing so you may be safe here).

When the lighting rig breaks, finish your drink.

Cool, enjoy the show guys, just got to grab my sunglasses and I'll be on my way.

• edited March 2012
    When Ryan rants, take a shot. When I say a player will do one thing and they do another, take a shot. When I get someone's name wrong accidentally, take a shot. When I get someone's name wrong on purpose, take two shots (If Hurst-o, Gadger-no or Petal are playing then this could get messy).Posted by TommyD
    I'm betting this will happen a LOT! It always does for some reason! Have a good show.
  • edited March 2012
    Ok just enough time to say thank you for all the good luck messages everyone. If you find me dull tonight: 1)  At least you have Ryan and Anna who will be on sparkling form as always. 2)  Why not enact the SkyPoker drinking game (For the lawyers, this does not have to be alcohol.  What you drink is entirely up to you.  Personally I'd go for a spot of Pimms). When someone open limps preflop, take a shot. When someone calls with a raggy ace out of position, take a shot. When Ryan rants, take a shot. When I say a player will do one thing and they do another, take a shot. When I get someone's name wrong accidentally, take a shot. When I get someone's name wrong on purpose, take two shots (If Hurst-o, Gadger-no or Petal are playing then this could get messy). When someone TV tarts three different Mastercash tables then take three shots (I won't be playing so you may be safe here). When the lighting rig breaks, finish your drink. Cool, enjoy the show guys, just got to grab my sunglasses and I'll be on my way.
    Posted by TommyD
    Have a good one Tommy. I'll be watching while playing and having that Yorkshire Tea as part of my drinking game! That's sad isn't it. Looking forward to it.
    Enjoy...................cheers
                      Steve aka profman15
  • edited March 2012
    Hi Tommy

Enjoyed the shows last night. You came across very well, i thought. Mind, all that time in front of maths classes helps as you have got to keep 'em interested. I had 23 years of it and you learn some tricks of the 'trade', don't you.
      I sent a q which didn't get aired sadly so would you mind considering two things for me and provide your thoughts....I'm keen to learn and have started to see leaks in my game eg too passive in 3rd quartile of MTT's, for instance. now, i'd like to make a concerted but efficient effort at improving both my learning and playing. I tend to play BH's and SNG's at £5 max level. 
          a) I'd like to analyse my SKY 'stats' and draw some useful conclusions...any thoughts?
          b) I've considered some software help( not HUDs as i'm happy with Sky and i know it doesn't support it). . Anyway, i've researched the net and come up with three possibilities...
                        1. Cardrunners
                        2. SitNgo Wizard
                        3. Sharkscope

What are your thoughts on these and do you see a priority in case my budget doesn't stretch that far. I have time on my hands now and would like to apply myself  in a balanced and sensible way. "Please sir! Can you help me." (God i was in classroom mode then.
                                                   All the best 
                                                        Steve aka profman15
  • edited March 2012
    Caught the back end of the show last night after the Arsenal game.

Very impressed with the contributions from both analysts, especially in the last hour.

Prob enjoyed it more without poker hands than I would have done with them.

Got the first half recorded to watch tomorrow.

I asked the PLO Hu sng question, because people talk lots about the "varience" in turbo HU sngs and Hyperturbo HU sngs in NLHE. Similar to the way they do about PLO (in any form).

So was just wondering about how the sustainable ROI's would compare. 

Would prob have asked a load more questions had Arsenal not scored an early goal. sigh. 

Did the legendary line "I did at first, then I didn't, then I did, then I didn't" get mentioned??? lol. Hope so.

Wp on the show, hope they invite you back. 

• edited March 2012
    Tuesday, t'was the day to see my funny face.

London traffic is a strange beast.  If you leave early you're sure to have the best run ever.  Leave on time or shock horror, late then you're in a very bad place indeed.

I left for Sky Towers early, this ensured I hit every green light and there were no emergency road works on the North Circular.  Despite getting a case of road rage, as every driver I let out in an attempt at good karma forgot to say thank you, the journey was as pleasant as it could have been.  So I got within ten minutes of the studio with a couple of hours to spare.  No problem, time to explore.

London has the odd beautiful oasis hidden amongst the spaghetti junctions, retail estates and angry cider drinkers.  I managed to find a beautiful spot in Old Isleworth.  Under the Heathrow flight path is a taste of the rural life, Isleworth Drydock.  A lovely place by the river with birds frolicking in the Thames (the clean bit, obviously), all very peaceful expect for the odd jumbo jet swooping overhead.

I saw this kooky little building:

It's a boating pavilion, or how the other half live.

The best bit about this place, a lovely country pub in the city, right on the river and a lovely place to get a spot of grub to kill some time.  A beautiful start to the Tuesday evening.
  • edited March 2012

That's Tikay's garden shed Tommy, you should see his house!
  • edited March 2012
    So after donking some money off on the Quiz machine (so rigged) I ventured towards the studio.  After my last experience many years ago at Feltham I expected it to be a similar site.  Whoops.  What you find is a small town with Sky written all over it.  Seeing as there were roughly eighty seven entrances I thought to myself 'Time to park the car and go by foot.'  I parked up in the road next to a car with five dozen parking tickets and a 'Let's get Quizical' bumper sticker (Rich, PM me and I'll let you know where your car is) and I proceeded to the visitors entrance.

A lovely chap took my details and then asked me if I was superstitious?  I said no and then he gave me my visitor's pass.  Visitor number 6666.  Oh I see, good omen.

Ben (or Sky Ben as he is now legally known) fetched me and we were in.  At no point will you ever be in doubt where you are.  The Sky brand is not so much everywhere, more like every building has been genetically modified with the brand.  Faces of Sky News and Sky Sports tower over you like Brobdingnagians.

Everyone backstage was lovely.  Make up took the appropirate time to make me presentable, so after five hours and three paint brushes I was ready for the show.

I won't go into the actual show, if you're reading this you probably saw it.  It was a lovely time.  And I got to see what was behind the table.  You'd ever guess.  Anna, Ryan and Producer Sky Dan were great as was everyone else, they made me feel very welcome.

Things I learnt:

1)  There's a whole heap going on and people working their backside's off you don't even know about.  I'm a radio man and can work a sound deck, then I saw the deck they have.  I was so excited a little bit of wee came out.

2)  The sofa is quite comfortable, but if you ever go on come up with your 'sofa position' beforehand, it can make you feel very self conscious.

3)  I'm going to run a book on the first analyst to completely lose it with the clicker and smash it live on air.  If James ever switches back to that role he's pretty much odds on favourite.  Ryan's in at 5/2

Four hours done and it was back on the road, via a 24hr shop for an emergency pie obviously.
  • edited March 2012
    Wow, this DYM streak thing is tougher than I thought.  Hitting fives and sixs but just keep faltering in some strange spots.  Going to tkeep plugging away at it today i think, it's funny when you have a target, I get somewhat obsessed with it.

I have come to the conclusion that my various TV tarting stints have hurt my DYMs.  For the crucial bubble I get called by an unreal wide range (my fave being Q4 suited, twice by different people).  It stings a little when they make it, stings a little more when they are actually ahead.
  • edited March 2012
    There is a chance that I will be appearing in a hand on Top of the Pots this week.  If this is the case then please take note of how badly I played it rather than how lucky I got.

My game is in severe need of serious work.
  • edited March 2012
    Hi Tommy   Enjoyed the shows last night. You came across very well, i thought. Mind, all that time in front of maths classes helps as you have got to keep 'em interested. I had 23 years of it and you learn some tricks of the 'trade', don't you.   I sent a q which didn't get aired sadly so would you mind considering two things for me and provide your thoughts....I'm keen to learn and have started to see leaks in my game eg too passive in 3rd quartile of MTT's, for instance. now, i'd like to make a concerted but efficient effort at improving both my learning and playing. I tend to play BH's and SNG's at £5 max level.        a) I'd like to analyse my SKY 'stats' and draw some useful conclusions...any thoughts?       b) I've considered some software help( not HUDs as i'm happy with Sky and i know it doesn't support it). . Anyway, i've researched the net and come up with three possibilities...                     1. Cardrunners                     2. SitNgo Wizard                     3. Sharkscope   What are your thoughts on these and do you see a priority in case my budget doesn't stretch that far. I have time on my hands now and would like to apply myself  in a balanced and sensible way. "Please sir! Can you help me." (God i was in classroom mode then.                                                All the best                                                      Steve aka profman15
    Posted by profman15
    Hi Steve

Sorry this has taken some time, been quite a week.

Looking at your questions:

a)  As far as looking at your Sky Stats, if you are talking about results I keep a very detailed spreadsheet that let's me look at all of the forms of the game I play and where I am strong/where I need to improve.  Sharkscope also provides a decent amount of information on this.  If you are talking about the mechanics of the game if you keep going through hand histories you will get a feel of your VPIP, showdown wins, 3bet percentage etc.  It takes some time and plenty of work but it is worth it.  I recommend exhaustive hand history reading to really get inside your own game, that's what I did.

b)  I've heard good things about Cardrunners but as Ryan said on the show, that's more for a player who has already reached an intermediate or advanced level and wants to go further.  In my opinion you can get enough information from Sharkscope on the free searches but I know other people have signed up to it and swear by it.  I haven't because I don't think you get the benefit for Skypoker (they monitor real time SnG lobbies to look for good tables, IMO the STT player-pool is not big enough on SkyPoker to justify the expense).

I have tried SnGWiz and I think you can get the information on shoving ranges for free plenty of other places on the internet.  Also SnGWiz doesn't help you with the information you have to put in it, you need to assess the shove/call ranges of your opponents and when you use Wiz it's a bit like driving with a Sat Nav, you expect it to do a little more for you than it does and you become blind to some other things that are happening at the table.

There is so much information out there for you that unless you are already advanced I think you can get everything for free, just takes a little searching.  Forums and hand history analysis are the way foward for you in my opinion.
  • edited March 2012
    As a comic book geek I am so pumped for movies this year.  We have:

The Avengers
    The Dark Knight Rises
    The Amazing Spiderman
    GI Joe 2

I need these to be good.  There has only been one great comic book movies made ever (The original Christopher Reeve Superman movie, not The Dark Knight, feel free to argue that because I can go all day long on that one) and it's about time we had another one.  Sadly I've got a feeling none of these will quite hit that lofty mark.

I've watched The Avengers trailers about a dozen times now and I have come to the following conclusions:

Why oh why oh why is Ed Norton not playing Banner again?
    Downey Jr's casting as Stark was a perfect pick (you can easily get these wrong, for proof please watch The Green Lantern.  Actually, don't.  I cried a little and not in a good way).
    I'm very much in love with Scarlett Johansson.