You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.

Comments

• edited April 2012
    'This is gonna hurt a little bit.'  Kevin Costner, For the Love of the Game

Time for a motivational poker challenge Ladies and Gents.  A few of the more observant of you will have seen the Priority VLV freeroll in the MTT lobby at present.  Let me break this down for you.  It's a rake race for Priority Club members, if you hit 25k C4Ps in April you're in for a shot at the package.  Also, the starting stacks increase in increments according to the total C4Ps to make.  25k gets you the starting stack of 2000.  At the other end of the spectrum 70k points gets you a 14k starting stack.  And it is that which I'm going for.  And not just that, why make it too easy eh?

So I'm calling my shot (baseball line no. 2), this is the challenge.

1)  Hit 70k C4P in April.
    2)  Have a 5 figure profit for the month.
    3)  Win the VLV package.

I'm looking to set an early pace of 2.5k points a day to give me something to play with towards the end of the month.  I'm going to the Cardiff SPT so some days will be lost.

This volume is next to impossible for me.  You can't really call a month for a profit without angering Lady Variance.  The VLV Package Freeroll will be full of better players.  So really I have no chance.

Going to be fun trying though :)

Expect updates.
  • edited April 2012
    Life news now and it was an interesting sporting week for me.

Saturday was a golf day.  Now my skills as a golfer rate at just below hacker.  I've got decent upper body strength but down to a pure lack of technique I have zero power hitting that darn ball.  Luckily I've always been a bit tasty on the greens so I usually have a decent finish, just takes me a while to get there.  It was great fun, good company, plenty of ribbing.  We play with a fellow we call Des because he looks like Des from Neighbours.  It's gotten so bad that a lot of people have forgotten his real name.  Now Des is the slowest golfer you could ever meet.  He has all the gear, trolley bag, little tea cosy warmers for both Woods and Irons.  He wanders towards his ball, sets up the trolley legs, stands it up beautifully.  Then he has a look how far to go, takes his time, slowly takes the hood off the club of choice, has another good long look, then we're into his practice swings.  Twenty swings later he has another look, then a few more practice swings.  Finally the ball starts to fly, usually to the right.  He asked us if we think he takes too many practice swings, we were laughing for a couple of holes before saying 'Maybe.'

So the golf was followed by a nice few drinks and a very nice night, despite the fact I was still chewing sand at 9pm (this is sadly not an exaggeration).

On to Sunday.  I play for a Sunday League Football team, created over ten years ago after a night out in the pub went a little too far and we decided to form a team named 'Jossi's Giants,' named after the Sid Wardell penned TV show about an awful youth football team.  We were abysmal for many years, I think it took us three seasons before our first win.  Things changed this year, finally.  We were top of the division for months (the bottom division in our league obviously) and fighting under the new name of JG Chingford, we dreamt of promotion from the basement.  We stuttered towards the end and were caught by two teams, knocking us out of the promotion positions.  Our only hope was that when the now top two teams played each other on their last game of the season that first would smack second, kill their goal difference and put us up.

Nerves were jangling yesterday as we awaited the news.  Finally the text came through, first hand indeed spanked second 5-1, we were up.  I am currently on email discussing if we're going to hire an open top bus.  Never had such a great feeling, after years of cold Sunday mornings, limping home bloody and beaten, we finally achieved something.

Of course we'll probably get caned every week next year.  It'll still be a laugh though.
  • edited April 2012
    Tommy can I ask you a Q that isn't meant to be rude..

But is you going for 70k points realistic? From my experience you don't tend to multi table too much (by that I mean 10 tables +), and although you do play the higher levels surely that amount of points is well out of your reach?
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.:
    Tommy can I ask you a Q that isn't meant to be rude.. But is you going for 70k points realistic? From my experience you don't tend to multi table too much (by that I mean 10 tables +), and although you do play the higher levels surely that amount of points is well out of your reach?
    Posted by pryce6
    It probably is out of reach, I was serious when I put in that post that the volume is next to impossible for me.  I guess I'm aiming for the stars to hit the moon.  If I get a good early pace going I may be able to hit between 40k-50k points.  I know myself and if I aim just for 50k then I could easily get complacent in the middle of the month and before I know it I'm struggling to make 30k.  I'm just pushing myself as much as I can and if I make myself give regular updates I need to at least put in a respectable score to avoid obvious embarrassment.

Also I'm a firm believer that people massively underestimate the amount of rake/points generated by DYMs.  This would be a piece of cake for me and a lot of others if the DYM player pool was massive.  i'm going to be hitting a lot of DYMs in the first week to find out if I am right, if STTs generate that much.

It is mission impossible, but that's where the fun is.
  • edited April 2012

....If only you had, say, two weeks off 'work' so you could put some serious grind in towards your poker points goal.

I think you will do it. I also thought spurs were going to win the League :)
  • edited April 2012
    Ah yes, I do sometimes forget that dyms actually exist! I saw you 2 tabling 100nl yesterday or today and thought 70k points???! lol
  • edited April 2012
    Ah yes, I do sometimes forget that dyms actually exist! I saw you 2 tabling 100nl yesterday or today and thought 70k points???! lol
    Posted by pryce6
    lol, totally fair enough, I would have thought the same.  Was either regged or playing DYMs at the same time.  Currently two tabling nl100, playing a £55 DYM and regged for three more.  They normally take 20-30 min, can chew through the rake.
  • edited April 2012
    +1 to how great DYMs are for the points grind.

GL Tommy!

Also having had a couple of days to think about it, I reckon that the 70k points is prob unrealistic too for me.  50k is about right maybe.
  • edited April 2012
    +1 to how great DYMs are for the points grind. GL Tommy! Also having had a couple of days to think about it, I reckon that the 70k points is prob unrealistic too for me.  50k is about right maybe.
    Posted by scotty77
    Cheers Ryan.

Yeah I know what you mean.  For me setting 70k as the target is like the Hare at the Greyhound track.  No way the dogs are going to catch it but it don't half make them run fast.

So boys and girls, here's the first update.

Cash4Points - 2797
    April Profit/loss - +£750
    Current chances in VLV freeroll final - Zero, not qualified yet.  Obviously.

Got the bulk of those points today.  I was grinding last night but I went one table when I was running deep in the Primo, then slammed the laptop shut for the night when I crashed out in tenth.  That made it my third 7th-20th Main Event finish last week and I was feeling a little frustrated not to FT any of them.  Luckily tonight I busted the Main nice and early, so focus on the grind will be on.
  • edited April 2012
    A lot to think about now.  Going to do the updates most days at midnight to try to get a feel of the pace.

C4P attained/Aimed pace - 3558/5000
    Profit/loss - +£378.32

Ugly little evening session as far as the profits go.  The main fails came in the DYMs where I had a little downswing, couldn't get through a bubble.

Pointswise I'm behind but on the plus side I made more than 2.5k points today.  The pace is doable for now, but of course everyone is full of vim and vigour at this stage.

I'm still starting tables, determined to keep this going despite a slight fall in point rate.  I think downswings are going to be the toughest part of this challenge, I can't take a break or close up the site for a night when it's going bad if I want to keep this pace.  This'll be character building.  Or it will kill my roll and send me on life tilt.

Haven't quit yet, which I choose to see as a good thing.
  • edited April 2012
    I had a dream last night that I had left myself registered into a DYM and shut down my laptop.  I was really angry amount wasting the buy in.

This is not a good sign.
  • edited April 2012
    I had a dream last night that I had left myself registered into a DYM and shut down my laptop.  I was really angry amount wasting the buy in. This is not a good sign.
    Posted by TommyD
    U've probs got more chance of cashing using this strategy tho :P
  • edited April 2012
    I think if I wasn't tilting out of my brains after losing multiple stacks in a couple of minutes I'd have checked back that JT v KK hand!
  • edited April 2012
    I think if I wasn't tilting out of my brains after losing multiple stacks in a couple of minutes I'd have checked back that JT v KK hand!
    Posted by scotty77
    I played that hand bad.  When you C/R the turn I don't think I'm ahead of any of your value range a played and I'm not sure you are bluffing enough to make my call profitable.  TBH I thought 'He's repping JT' before getting married to my hand, clicking call and binking.

For everyone else this was KK v JT on a JTXXK board, betting on all streets.
  • edited April 2012
    I think as the K was a d it makes my jam bad as you aren't calling me with then AA etc.

I can ahve stuff like AQdd/89dd etc on the turn tho.  I don't just have JT.
  • edited April 2012
    You ever seen an early Ray Winstone movie set in a Borstal?  Can't say the title as the filter will take it out.  Well if you have may I just say that right now I'm alone in the Greenhouse with two big DYMs.

C4P/Aimed Pace - 5319/7500
    Profit/Loss -  +£67.23

Having a nightmare downswing on DYMs.  Everything I can do wrong, I'm probably doing wrong.  Everything that can go wrong is.  Luckily I've balanced this loss with cash wins to leave me a little better than break even for the month so far.  Still hideous though.

The pace is as tough as expected.  Let's see what tomorrow brings.
  • edited April 2012
    So let's look outside the baize shall we?

To add to my general stress level not am I hoping to move house at the end of this month, it's also the GF's birthday this week.  When you get to the age I am you learn to cover all bases.  Today was spent in the jewel of North Kent, the Bluewater shopping centre.  Yes, a land of dreams where mothers decide to drive their toddlers around in oversized buggies, mowing down unsuspecting patrons left and right.  The theme of today was to wander the marbled halls with the GF, let her tell me what she wants to represent 80% of gifts, while sneaking off for that 'surprise gift.'

The Apple Mac 'Point & Click' portion of the day went well.  We visited Hollister, an insane shop with so little lighting all you can see are the hand picked under 23 beautiful staff flirt with each other while wearing beachwear in April.  The Nike store was deserted save for the three staff who asked me if i needed any help.  Luckily I've shopped before so I was good.

Gifts the GF actually wants obtained, I darted off for that special gift.  That's where it all went wrong, I've got nothing.  No idea, no clue, no inspiration.

Any help would be hot, I have tomorrow for the sequel.
  • edited April 2012
    Love ^^^this^^^ post

All so true....epecially the Hollister experience. Good Luck rest of the month, can't believe you've picked this month to go for 70k points with moving house as well!!!
  • edited April 2012
    Love ^^^this^^^ post All so true....epecially the Hollister experience. Good Luck rest of the month, can't believe you've picked this month to go for 70k points with moving house as well!!!
    Posted by rolfus
    Cheers mate.  Yes I never really do things the easy way.

Mission accomplished with the second shopping expedition.  I have bought what can only be described as the ultimate middle class gift.  No spoilers yet.
  • edited April 2012
    Update time

Points/Target Pace - 7966/10k
    Profit/loss - +£94.48

I feel my whole month is on the precipice right now.  Ground a handful back today but considering I was a grand to the good at one point very early on it still feels tough.  Stopped the DYM rot, got a fair bit back and then another barren spell left me with only a little back.  To break it down for you, I'm just under 1k up on Cash this month while losing £700 in DYMs, the remainder of the small loss being in MTTS.

This month, both in terms of cash and points, could really go either way.
  • edited April 2012
    Tommy Dyer yoouuuur fuuuuuuunnnnnnny! And you have such a fantastic vocabulary, I might steal some of your words and claim to be an intellectual myself, gl with your points challenge although if you wanted my opinion I would say 50k points is much more realistic for playing semi decent poker, although granted even a loss and a Vegas package would represent a good months poker gl gl gl
  • edited April 2012
    Mission accomplished with the second shopping expedition.  I have bought what can only be described as the ultimate middle class gift.  No spoilers yet.       
    tiffanys bracelet????????
  • edited April 2012
    Mission accomplished with the second shopping expedition.  I have bought what can only be described as the ultimate middle class gift.  No spoilers yet.        tiffanys bracelet????????
    Posted by pod1
    Not quite

What else?
  • edited April 2012
    Tommy Dyer yoouuuur fuuuuuuunnnnnnny! And you have such a fantastic vocabulary, I might steal some of your words and claim to be an intellectual myself, gl with your points challenge although if you wanted my opinion I would say 50k points is much more realistic for playing semi decent poker, although granted even a loss and a Vegas package would represent a good months poker gl gl gl
    Posted by sam1986
    Cheers Sam.  Bearing in mind you put three or four verses of 'Ossie's Dream' on twitter late last night, I'm going to use my intelligence to surmise you may have had a drink or two last night ;)

You're quite right, 50k points is much more realistic.  I'm going to drop the pace stuff from the updates and going to revert to just getting as many as I can.  At the moment I'm on course for around 55k I think.
  • edited April 2012
    now thats gonna look silly on her wrist isnt it!!!!!
  • edited April 2012
    Haha yeah I love that song. 'surmise' another good word, i'll try and fit that one in over this weekend :)

I need to bust UKIPT Nottingham in time to make it to wembley next weekend which shouldn't be a problem seeing as getting through Day 1 has proven so difficult in the past getting through two days must be borderline impossible.
  • edited April 2012

Couldn't play the last two nights due to a couple of birthdays.  Had a lovely meal with the family on Thursday night for the GF's birthday.  It was great a have a nice chilled evening.  Last night wasn't so chilled for a mate's birthday, shots appeared, someone feel asleep on some stairs in the pub then threw up by the bar.  I meant to have a quiet one but the Jagermeister came out to play and I'm suffering a bit today.  Going to have a make or break fry up then hopefully put in a huge weekend poker session.

It's a good day to try to put in some volume, a lot of the regs are playing live this weekend (good luck guys!) and it's a chance to motor on.

Current score is 10.5k C4P with a profit of just under 1k.  Not out of my DYM hole yet but with luck and Lady Run Good I'll be in DYM profit at some point over the weekend.

• edited April 2012
    After the fry up (Pics please), if you don't feel 100% will you still play? 
    Do you think with a slight hangover that DYMs may be a better option to grind than cash due to not having to think as much? 
  • edited April 2012

Sorry mate, polished off breakfast before I saw your post so no pics.  Couldn't face too much in the end so I went for the comfort food that is Egg & Soldiers.

I'm not 100% but I am going to play.  The plan is to mix DYMs and cash, not enough £33+ DYMs open this time of day for my rake race.

Think too much?  I don't think at all anyway, just stick the money in and see what happens.  ;)

Are you at Cardiff mate?

• edited April 2012
    mmmm soldiers with egg :)

Don't you fancy the Turbo hu sngs then, they fill up fairly quickly and saves you waiting for the dyms to fill up? 

I will deffo be at Cardiff on Saturday and hoping to be there for friday evening as well. 
    When will you be there? Where are you staying mate?