You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.

Comments

• edited August 2012
    Haven't updated for a while, sorry guys.

In poker news, I had an ugly end to July.  Glad to see the back of it to be honest, I always seem to have a poor record in this month.  Going to try to put in a ton of volume in August, just need to iron out the kinks in my game, old Mr Station is creeping back in and I need to find the happy medium between him and Master Scared of the Nuts.

Loved the Olympic opening ceremony, followed by be really disappointed by Team GB's performance so far.   Yesterday was finally a good day and many kudos to all the medalists.  Of course you can quite rightly say I can't do as well in Judo or Cycling as some people I may be frustrated by.  Very true, but I haven't been paid for my image rights for a Limited Edition Shampoo set, I haven't done several documentaries saying how I'm going to win X event.  This is not a cross the board criticism, there have been some great Team GB performances which have got no where near a medal (Zoe Smith in the weightlifting springs to mind).  If they are getting close to PBs or even breaking British records then hats off to them, fabulous effort.  If they have trained at the Olympic venue for 18 months and don't even qualify for the final then I think the people who have been hammered by merchandise salespeople and Olympic levies have a right to be disappointed.  Never to the level of some of the twitter trolls you've seen in the news, but we are allowed a very British tutting.
  • edited August 2012

Come on Tommy, cheer up - let's get behind the guys & gals and just enjoy the whole shebang - this is a once in a generation event & we won't know what we had til it's gone!

Def thumbs up4the ceremony - Bond, Bean, Becks & Brunel - Best of British!

Gl 4the Aug Grind, I'm gona try to get my highest ever points total aswell (20k+).

EDIT - Saw Dark Knight last night, enjoyed it but didn't understand what happened @ the end! Pls cud u PM me if u hav time, many thanks.
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.:
    Haven't updated for a while, sorry guys. In poker news, I had an ugly end to July.  Glad to see the back of it to be honest, I always seem to have a poor record in this month.  Going to try to put in a ton of volume in August, just need to iron out the kinks in my game, old Mr Station is creeping back in and I need to find the happy medium between him and Master Scared of the Nuts. Loved the Olympic opening ceremony, followed by be really disappointed by Team GB's performance so far.   Yesterday was finally a good day and many kudos to all the medalists.  Of course you can quite rightly say I can't do as well in Judo or Cycling as some people I may be frustrated by.  Very true, but I haven't been paid for my image rights for a Limited Edition Shampoo set, I haven't done several documentaries saying how I'm going to win X event.  This is not a cross the board criticism, there have been some great Team GB performances which have got no where near a medal (Zoe Smith in the weightlifting springs to mind).  If they are getting close to PBs or even breaking British records then hats off to them, fabulous effort.  If they have trained at the Olympic venue for 18 months and don't even qualify for the final then I think the people who have been hammered by merchandise salespeople and Olympic levies have a right to be disappointed.  Never to the level of some of the twitter trolls you've seen in the news, but we are allowed a very British tutting.
    Posted by TommyD
    Apparently they needed 18 months and 1 day.  Glad to see my commentator's curse is still going strong.

Mucho Congratos to the Gold and Silver Medalists in Team GB C2 Canoing and all of the medalists.  Going to diary about the young lady who's in the Judo final later, still in bits after watching the semi final bout.
  • edited August 2012
    Congrats to all our gold medalists - very impressive

Still don't think it is thanks to any govt investment in sport in this country - more due to some outstanding individuals.

And as for the benefit to the country - don't make me laugh

Sorry to hi-jack your thread TommyD - but you started it.
  • edited August 2012
    Come on Tommy, cheer up - let's get behind the guys & gals and just enjoy the whole shebang - this is a once in a generation event & we won't know what we had til it's gone! Def thumbs up4the ceremony - Bond, Bean, Becks & Brunel - Best of British! Gl 4the Aug Grind, I'm gona try to get my highest ever points total aswell (20k+). EDIT - Saw Dark Knight last night, enjoyed it but didn't understand what happened @ the end! Pls cud u PM me if u hav time, many thanks.
    Posted by JingleMa
    PM sent!!
  • edited August 2012
    Congrats to all our gold medalists - very impressive Still don't think it is thanks to any govt investment in sport in this country - more due to some outstanding individuals. And as for the benefit to the country - don't make me laugh Sorry to hi-jack your thread TommyD - but you started it.
    Posted by GELDY
    Been thinking about my general attitude towards the Olympics during the run up a lot in the last few days.  The turning point for me was Gemma Gibbons' silver medal in the Judo.  In terms of a sporting contest all I wanted was someone from Team GB to rise to the occasion, and did she ever.  She had an awful draw, yet she took down favourite after favourite.  Every bout seemed to go down to the wire.  When she won her semi and was guaranteed a medal the excitement and energy was palpable.  When she looked up to the sky and said 'I love you mum' and was instantly in bits.

That was when I fell in love with the Olympics, well before the extraordinary scenes and success we have seen this weekend.  I now have come to realise that London and Great Britain not only will benefit from this but needed it.

So why my hysteria and negativity before the start?  Not my normal attitude, I'm in general positive and very rarely become as off the calm considered way of thinking as I became before these games started.  The simple fact as i see it is that most of the people of Great Britain have lost faith in so many things. 

The banks let us down, then we bailed them out.  They seemed to react to this by rubbing our noses in it and just carried on how they always did.  Everyone went skint apart from the people who made us all skint.

We've lost faith in politicians, we feel they are all the same, very few have the interests of the people at heart, only their own expense charging self serving ways.  None of them can affect any change and won't try.

We've lost faith in the police.  We don't believe they can keep us safe anymore, they are swamped in paperwork and health and safety.  The riots happened and there wasn't a thing they could do about it.  They were also, rightly or wrongly, blamed for the riots starting in the first place

We've lost faith in the news media, too absorbed in selling their work on the back of celebrity culture and sleaze they now hack the phones of the families of dead children and fallen solders while putting no-marks on their front pages.  It's not about news and balanced critique anymore, it's about shifting copies/ad-space while keeping us all scared because they insist in telling us there is a suicide bomber hiding in every corner and everything gives you cancer.  Fear and sex sells copy, damn the news.

We've lost faith in the education system, most young people are told they only have unemployment to look forward to unless they are born into the higher classes.  Teachers are blamed for not producing well rounded individuals while having their hands tied up from actual teaching because of a thousand levels of paperwork and box checking which must be seen to be done.  The public have lost faith in teachers because all they hear about are kids with knives stabbing each other before settling into a life on benefits with fourteen children of their own.

We've lost faith in heroes, because now heroes are not people who fight wars or save people from fires, they are people who can score a goal and be snap called a legend.  They then fall out of a nightclub at three in the morning yet in the time it takes for their hangover to clear they earn more than we do in a year.  The people we used to cheer as one of us now are so disconnected due to money and being told they were great for their skill for so long (in other words they have never heard the word 'no' since their parents were told they could make millions) that we can't relate to them or they to us.  But will still burn our money on them anyway.

We've lot faith in each other.  Maybe it's more of a London attitude but people avoid the simple human contact of saying 'Good Morning' to each other as much as they can.  We seem paranoid that the stranger is evil, the work college has it in for us and the boss is doing everything they can to keep us down.  We have no belief in the Good Samaritan, no thought that anyone will actually do a selfless act and anyone who does is obviously after something.

We're at a low in this country, but I'll be damned if the Olympics aren't pulling us out of it by the throat.  I was scared before the games started.  Not that we wouldn't get medals, I was scared the actual running of it would be an embarrassment to the country.  I had visions of Ussain Bolt missing the 100m final while stuck in traffic, the swimming delayed because the pool was leaking and Boris setting himself alight with the torch.  You see before the Games it had become very taboo in Great Britain to be proud of the country.  The Cross of St George is constantly asked to be taken down in a variety of places because we lost that flag to a far right bunch of buffoons.  The shame on us is we never took it back.  The Union Flag suffers the same stigma, although to a lesser extent.  Other countries beam with pride when they hear their anthem or see their flag, we in general have our head down and scuttle on politely.  The Games is bleeding that rightful pride back into us.  For the most part it's being run superbly.  Yes there is a ticket issue but from what I can see this was actually out of our control.  The venues are stunning, the volunteers are making these games by giving up time for free to help us, to make our day and experience better.  Britain is pulling together for the games.  You can feel it, everyone is smiling a little easier, everyone is just a little more happy and more importantly it's now deemed ok to express pride in our country  Will it last?  Hopefully, but one thing is for sure, it hasn't hurt.

Well that was a bit of an essay, been a while....
  • edited August 2012
    Tommy,

Thanks for putting into words what so many of us are thinking, just let me know when you are moving into politics you can have my vote. Being honest the Olympics had started and I wasn't bothered, why have events before the opening ceremony is beyond me, which in itself was a good performance & didn't let any one down. But now I am hooked on following & cheering on the efforts of the individuals who at least for a little while are doing their damdest to put the Great back into Britain.
    Sports personality of the year should be a fantastic programme this year. 

ps. I know its a foregone conclusion as to the winner, but its one hell of a supporting cast. 
  • edited August 2012
    Tommy mate, hurry up and change your password your account has been hacked by a miserable sod lol !!!

• edited August 2012
    Tommy mate - I completely agree with you.  I'm gonna be a kinder marker than yourself as well and give you a B+ for your efforts ;)

I myself found I was negative at the start and getting annoyed everytime I heard Jonathon Pearce say 'Team GB' during the football. My turning point was the first women's gold in the rowing. The joy on their faces and the noise from the crowd were massive emotion turners.  In addition, the singing by everyone to the national anthem has been heart warming and makes you proud - something which you rightly said has been missing for a long, long time.

As a parent and a teacher, I hope our kids watch these games and see what can be achieved by hard work and effort and they find new idols and heroes.

Less nightclub pics of footballers, less Jordan, less Jodie, less scandal, MORE pride, effort, hard work, proper idols.

My soapbox moment over now too....................
  • edited August 2012
    Tommy, Thanks for putting into words what so many of us are thinking, just let me know when you are moving into politics you can have my vote. Being honest the Olympics had started and I wasn't bothered, why have events before the opening ceremony is beyond me, which in itself was a good performance & didn't let any one down. But now I am hooked on following & cheering on the efforts of the individuals who at least for a little while are doing their damdest to put the Great back into Britain. Sports personality of the year should be a fantastic programme this year.  ps. I know its a foregone conclusion as to the winner, but its one hell of a supporting cast. 
    Posted by Woogie8688
    Cheers Woogie

I think a lot of people are feeling the same.  The riots really did more damage to the national psyche than we ever thought IMO.  The Olympics are helping us get over that.

I don't think the Sports Personality award is a foregone conclusion.  I know Wiggins is an overwhelming favourite right now but Ennis with be right in the mix plus if Murray can win the US Open I think he might pip the lot of them.  Either way John Terry will be stripped and ready to collect it.
  • edited August 2012
    Tommy mate, hurry up and change your password your account has been hacked by a miserable sod lol !!!
    Posted by simonnatur
    Haha Simon.  Yeah a lot of that post was a downer but i think it was appropriate.  It was meant to be positive and I think it was in the end.  The feel good is coming back, now I just need the run good :)
  • edited August 2012
    Tommy mate - I completely agree with you.  I'm gonna be a kinder marker than yourself as well and give you a B+ for your efforts ;) I myself found I was negative at the start and getting annoyed everytime I heard Jonathon Pearce say 'Team GB' during the football. My turning point was the first women's gold in the rowing. The joy on their faces and the noise from the crowd were massive emotion turners.  In addition, the singing by everyone to the national anthem has been heart warming and makes you proud - something which you rightly said has been missing for a long, long time. As a parent and a teacher, I hope our kids watch these games and see what can be achieved by hard work and effort and they find new idols and heroes. Less nightclub pics of footballers, less Jordan, less Jodie, less scandal, MORE pride, effort, hard work, proper idols. My soapbox moment over now too....................
    Posted by phil12uk
    Completely agree Phil.  Jess or Bradley are a million miles better role models to have than many of the present ones.  I don't really blame the Jordans or Jodies of this world, they're trying to get what they can with what they have.  I blame the papers turning them into role models with so much exposure, practically telling the younger generation they can become famous with little effort.

I barely watched the Men's football, I watched a lot of the women's footy and really enjoyed it, but I'm very much over Men's football at the moment.  It's great to get into these other sports and to see the amazing talent within them.
  • edited August 2012
    got to agree with you mate. my kids are/have been talking about the Olympians alot
    went there on Friday with the family and had a great time
    the volunteers certainly helped make the day as they were all great, even when they couldn't help they did their best. facilities at the Olympic Park are great, everyone happy as well.
    my son (age 9) is certainly enjoying it seeing sports he hasn't seen before. he likes his sport and you never know he might get inspired. here's hoping!! :))
  • edited August 2012
    Good on you Tommy... 824 posts in one diary! Nice work :)
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : PM sent!!
    Posted by TommyD
    Thanks Tommy - I totally missed that in the film!

I'll just add my two pence worth on your other post aswell, if I may.

I was having a chat with my Corporate Services Director before a meeting @ work yesterday & he expressed a similar view to yourself - he said that he was worried we would make a complete horlicks of these Olympics before they started and was quite relieved that we hadn't and was really enjoying them now.

I remember when we were bidding for these games, the general negativity surrounding our bid (again, there was this talk of "embarrasing" ourselves by using Beckham as a PR stunt etc - followed by the spontaneous joy when we beat Paris to get them.

What is this peculiar British mindset to continually beat ourselves up about everything? I simply don't get it. Yes, no doubt the riots were appalling - I live in Wood Green, right next to the heart of where these riots started - I saw scores of kids, teens & young adults smashing and raiding Wood Green Shopping City @ 2am & brazenly & calmly walking off with their ill gotten gains (most without even covering their faces, & their were dozen of arrests in the next couple of weeks).

I was shocked and appalled by the senseless looting & damage and burning of shops, buildings & people's livelihoods, even though I am so used to being surrounded by crime, having lived in (relatively) poor areas of SE & N London all my life.
    & yes - our banks, politicians & press have all let us down.

However, we have bounced back from those riots (& 7/7, which tragically occured the day after we won the right to host the games) - & we will bounce back from everything else too.

I just wish people were generally a lot more positive about what we have in life - yes, a certain degree of cynicism is healthy - but it all too quickly seems to descend into carping, snidey self-flaggelation, this is not good for the heart & spirit peeps!

Even in 2012, we are still the 7th largest economy in the world & currently sit 3rd (!!) in the Olympic medal table. We live on a beautiful island & don't get taxed for playing the game we love - be proud & happy of who you are and where you are from, no matter who you are or where that is.

I'll leave you with a link to my favourite prose, which sums up my philosophy to life in general - I hope you like it: http://www.inspirational-short-stories.com/desiderata-poem.html 

Peace.

Priyesh (AKA PJ / Jingle).

• edited August 2012
    I'm glad you've cheered up Tommy!  You were starting to sound like Morrissey there for a while! ;-))  Being a sport fanatic I've been looking forward to the olympics for quite a while. (Currently cheering on the Brownlees in the tri!) 
    and 2 more medals for GB me thinks?
  • edited August 2012

The football season starts on the 18th August!
  • edited August 2012
    Nice postage before mate, sums up what alot of people are thinking even younguns like me. ;) Iv been away in Poland while the olympics have been on and will be unbtil the end but have still be able to watch and from what iv seen its been fantastic, well run and most of all well supported by a fantastic british crowd. Think all the athletes regardless of whether they have won a medal or not have done everyone proud and you do get the feeling the country is better off because of this :)

Have to comment on the old batman detate too, i think theyre all great films. The first film is necessary for without it the others just wouldnt work. personally i like learnigng about the past and how he came to be etc, great film, quality cast Neeson is truly a class act, think bale improved in the other 2 films from this one but he is a very stereotypical looking batman.

Dont think many people can argue with the quality of the dark knight and Health Ledgers performance. What a shame to lose such a talent, iv watched alot of films but his performance is deffo up there with the best iv ever seen, bale is way better in this, great film. Loved the guy ever since i saw "A Knights tale" as a kid. Still one of my favourite films.

Seen the third and i loved it. it was a little cliche in parts (he kept coming back from the dead so it seemed) but it all added to the film, masterpiece of a trilogy, nearly as good as the Lord of the Rings even ;) but no i was gripped from the start and it was a very fitting ending. Hope Bale is back for batman and robin soon. I do like the fact that they do try still promote some good values, a bit like the old batman from the 60s with Adam West i believe it was, quality entertainment that im sure its still on ITV3 now i watched the film a few weeks back1

On another film note The Hobbit is now being released as a trilogy! Think this is good news right? Is funny when you think about it though, i dont know if youve read the lord of the rings trilogy but the books are fantastic, well written etc etc where as the hobbit is only a book essentially for kids. I think the LOTR trilogy is about 30x longer (probably more) than the hobbit yet they both have 3 films. I do sometimes think its a shame that they didnt make 4 or 5 LOTR just to add the extra deatil but hey ho, im hoping the hobbit lives up to expectation!

• edited August 2012

I know what ya mean about the potential to make more LOTR films, I've read the books and they are brilliant. So many major things were left out IMO like Tom Bombadill (don't quote me on the spelling), but loads of people moaned enough that they were like 9 hours combined, another 4-5 on top might have been a bit much.

I might be wrong, but I don't think LOTR is 30x longer than the Hobbit or even close to that. Obviously we're going into page size, font size etc but my LOTR is only about 1500 pages, which would make the Hobbit 50 pages (which it's not lol). Good book though, not just for kids :)

Now, what IS a magnificent performance... Ed Norton in American History X. Sorry Tommy, total diary hi-jacking here lol.

==================================================================

On a poker note to you though Tommy, how did you get so good at cash, what helped you to make the most progress? The clinic, reviewing your own hands, railing good cash players, watching 865 (861)?

• edited August 2012
    I know what ya mean about the potential to make more LOTR films, I've read the books and they are brilliant. So many major things were left out IMO like Tom Bombadill (don't quote me on the spelling), but loads of people moaned enough that they were like 9 hours combined, another 4-5 on top might have been a bit much. I might be wrong, but I don't think LOTR is 30x longer than the Hobbit or even close to that. Obviously we're going into page size, font size etc but my LOTR is only about 1500 pages, which would make the Hobbit 50 pages (which it's not lol). Good book though, not just for kids :) Now, what IS a magnificent performance... Ed Norton in American History X. Sorry Tommy, total diary hi-jacking here lol. ================================================================== On a poker note to you though Tommy, how did you get so good at cash, what helped you to make the most progress? The clinic, reviewing your own hands, railing good cash players, watching 865 (861)?
    Posted by Lambert180
    haha yeah i was exaggerating a bit tbf ;) more like 5-6 times longer i reckon something around that. I knwo its not just for kids but i dound it most enjoyable when i was about 7 or 8 and still do now :) One the the films do d well is portraying the relationship between sam and frodo, really well done, makes the ending emotional ;) jackson did a great job with the time he had!
  • edited August 2012
    got to agree with you mate.my kids are/have been talking about the Olympians alot went there on Friday with the family and had a great time the volunteers certainly helped make the day as they were all great, even when they couldn't help they did their best. facilities at the Olympic Park are great, everyone happy as well. my son (age 9) is certainly enjoying it seeing sports he hasn't seen before. he likes his sport and you never know he might get inspired. here's hoping!! :))
    Posted by walesboy
    Great to hear all of that Walesboy.

I've enboldened those bits because that is the legacy I want to see out of thee games.  There is so little for children to do outside of the home and it takes a little ommph for them to find these activities.  It'd be great if more children got on a bike or went into a boxing ring for example.  Not just the ones with great talent, but the vast majority who can develop better social skills, self discipline and fitness through sport.  Money needs to be invested in sports clubs and activities for kids outside of the Playstation, but with the demand comes the supply.  Hopefully it happens.
  • edited August 2012
    Good on you Tommy... 824 posts in one diary! Nice work :)
    Posted by simuk
    Cheers mate.  Maybe I can get to 100k posts in six months, nah on reflection I think someone else is trying something similar....
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Thanks Tommy - I totally missed that in the film! I'll just add my two pence worth on your other post aswell, if I may. I was having a chat with my Corporate Services Director before a meeting @ work yesterday & he expressed a similar view to yourself - he said that he was worried we would make a complete horlicks of these Olympics before they started and was quite relieved that we hadn't and was really enjoying them now. I remember when we were bidding for these games, the general negativity surrounding our bid (again, there was this talk of "embarrasing" ourselves by using Beckham as a PR stunt etc - followed by the spontaneous joy when we beat Paris to get them. What is this peculiar British mindset to continually beat ourselves up about everything? I simply don't get it. Yes, no doubt the riots were appalling - I live in Wood Green, right next to the heart of where these riots started - I saw scores of kids, teens & young adults smashing and raiding Wood Green Shopping City @ 2am & brazenly & calmly walking off with their ill gotten gains (most without even covering their faces, & their were dozen of arrests in the next couple of weeks). I was shocked and appalled by the senseless looting & damage and burning of shops, buildings & people's livelihoods, even though I am so used to being surrounded by crime, having lived in (relatively) poor areas of SE & N London all my life. & yes - our banks, politicians & press have all let us down. However, we have bounced back from those riots (& 7/7, which tragically occured the day after we won the right to host the games) - & we will bounce back from everything else too. I just wish people were generally a lot more positive about what we have in life - yes, a certain degree of cynicism is healthy - but it all too quickly seems to descend into carping, snidey self-flaggelation, this is not good for the heart & spirit peeps! Even in 2012, we are still the 7th largest economy in the world & currently sit 3rd (!!) in the Olympic medal table. We live on a beautiful island & don't get taxed for playing the game we love - be proud & happy of who you are and where you are from, no matter who you are or where that is. I'll leave you with a link to my favourite prose, which sums up my philosophy to life in general - I hope you like it: http://www.inspirational-short-stories.com/desiderata-poem.html   Peace. Priyesh (AKA PJ / Jingle).
    Posted by JingleMa
    Great post Priyesh.

I am extremely positive about what I have in life and I think most Brits are.  We just seem to regard the over enthusiastic chest beating pride in countries that other nationalities have to be somewhat unseemly.  As such we are kind of down on ourselves for some reason.  It's just the British disposition I guess, we go all angry if someone from outside of Great Britain has a pop at us but we feel free to run ourselves down any chance we get.

Lovely poem as well by the way.

Wood Green eh?  That's only up the road from me (ok, the North Circ is a long road but the fact still stands).  Do you play any live games in the area at all?
  • edited August 2012
    I'm glad you've cheered up Tommy!  You were starting to sound like Morrissey there for a while! ;-))  Being a sport fanatic I've been looking forward to the olympics for quite a while. (Currently cheering on the Brownlees in the tri!)  and 2 more medals for GB me thinks?
    Posted by Glenelg
    I've been out all day with the GF's family (earning brownie points ain't easy...) so I missed all of the Olympics today.  Gutted after watching the round up show, would have loved to have seen it all live.  Another golden day.

Oh and I thought what Morrissey said was hideous.  I guess he needs to shift a few albums again.
  • edited August 2012
    The football season starts on the 18th August!
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Yes that's when most teams will start to play football in the Premier League this year.  Any idea when Stoke are going to start playing football?  ;)
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Great post Priyesh. I am extremely positive about what I have in life and I think most Brits are.  We just seem to regard the over enthusiastic chest beating pride in countries that other nationalities have to be somewhat unseemly.  As such we are kind of down on ourselves for some reason.  It's just the British disposition I guess, we go all angry if someone from outside of Great Britain has a pop at us but we feel free to run ourselves down any chance we get. Lovely poem as well by the way. Wood Green eh?  That's only up the road from me (ok, the North Circ is a long road but the fact still stands).  Do you play any live games in the area at all?
    Posted by TommyD
    Thanks Tommy - sorry, i might have rambled on a bit there!

I hardly play live (but might play more in future) - are you going to DTD Notts next month for SPT or £500k deepstack? Hopefully meet u there if u r.
  • edited August 2012
    Nice postage before mate, sums up what alot of people are thinking even younguns like me. ;) Iv been away in Poland while the olympics have been on and will be unbtil the end but have still be able to watch and from what iv seen its been fantastic, well run and most of all well supported by a fantastic british crowd. Think all the athletes regardless of whether they have won a medal or not have done everyone proud and you do get the feeling the country is better off because of this :) Have to comment on the old batman detate too, i think theyre all great films. The first film is necessary for without it the others just wouldnt work. personally i like learnigng about the past and how he came to be etc, great film, quality cast Neeson is truly a class act, think bale improved in the other 2 films from this one but he is a very stereotypical looking batman. Dont think many people can argue with the quality of the dark knight and Health Ledgers performance. What a shame to lose such a talent, iv watched alot of films but his performance is deffo up there with the best iv ever seen, bale is way better in this, great film. Loved the guy ever since i saw "A Knights tale" as a kid. Still one of my favourite films. Seen the third and i loved it. it was a little cliche in parts (he kept coming back from the dead so it seemed) but it all added to the film, masterpiece of a trilogy, nearly as good as the Lord of the Rings even ;) but no i was gripped from the start and it was a very fitting ending. Hope Bale is back for batman and robin soon. I do like the fact that they do try still promote some good values, a bit like the old batman from the 60s with Adam West i believe it was, quality entertainment that im sure its still on ITV3 now i watched the film a few weeks back1 On another film note The Hobbit is now being released as a trilogy! Think this is good news right? Is funny when you think about it though, i dont know if youve read the lord of the rings trilogy but the books are fantastic, well written etc etc where as the hobbit is only a book essentially for kids. I think the LOTR trilogy is about 30x longer (probably more) than the hobbit yet they both have 3 films. I do sometimes think its a shame that they didnt make 4 or 5 LOTR just to add the extra deatil but hey ho, im hoping the hobbit lives up to expectation!
    Posted by Wacko90
    Hey Wacko

What are you doing in Poland mate?  Must be interesting to be watching the Olympics in the UK from another country.

Back to Batman, I think Bale and Nolan are done now unless they push forward a JLA film.  That would take years though.

The Hobbit is a perfect sized book to be split into two films.  The LOTR series probably needed about nine films to get anywhere near covering everything.  I loved the trilogy but I was gutted with a few of the omissions (ironically the battle when they returned to the Shire was a main one, which would have been another ending to add to the dozen there already was).  I also didn't like how they shoehorned a greater role for Arwen but I guess they needed more female characters in the first one.  But on the whole I loved the series and am really looking forward to The Hobbit.

I read the LOTR trilogy when I was 11 I think, reread them before the films came out as well.  Bit of a commitment those.  Have you read 'The Silmarillion?'  It's basically the total history/bible of Tolkien's world.  To put LOTR in context, the complete events of the series are covered by a few paragraphs in the book.  So if anyone wants to save a little time, just read that bit ;)
  • edited August 2012
    I feel I'm losing value from this diary because I haven't read or seen Batman/LOTR/Hobbit/Harry Potter!  ;-(  I did attempt LOTR many years ago when stuck in a tent with two mates for 3 x days during a snowstorm. We had 4xbooks and LOTR was the only one I hadn't read.  I really tried but was forced to give up by page 5/6.  I reread Mr. Nice instead!  
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Hey Wacko What are you doing in Poland mate?  Must be interesting to be watching the Olympics in the UK from another country. Back to Batman, I think Bale and Nolan are done now unless they push forward a JLA film.  That would take years though. The Hobbit is a perfect sized book to be split into two films.  The LOTR series probably needed about nine films to get anywhere near covering everything.  I loved the trilogy but I was gutted with a few of the omissions (ironically the battle when they returned to the Shire was a main one, which would have been another ending to add to the dozen there already was).  I also didn't like how they shoehorned a greater role for Arwen but I guess they needed more female characters in the first one.  But on the whole I loved the series and am really looking forward to The Hobbit. I read the LOTR trilogy when I was 11 I think, reread them before the films came out as well.  Bit of a commitment those.  Have you read 'The Silmarillion?'  It's basically the total history/bible of Tolkien's world.  To put LOTR in context, the complete events of the series are covered by a few paragraphs in the book.  So if anyone wants to save a little time, just read that bit ;)
    Posted by TommyD

Hey Tommy,

Im here with the mrs! Been here for 3 weeks now, lovely place really is:)

I agree i think ito will be the end for a while, but i do like Bale as Batman, think hes a stereotypical Batman. I do like how its set up for batman and Robin how long that wilol take god only knows but i would love top see ti for sure!

Yes i have read the silmarillion! I also have the tale of Hurin and Unfinished tales that was published by Tolkiens son! Its quite incredible how much thought he put into it and its always good to read about how it all began etc etc. I agree wiht the battle at the end a little dissapointing as that was also saurons death too but never mind there is only so much you can fit in i suppose and making 9 films isnt feasible as much as i would of loved that. Jackson did a great job. Also the relationship between Faramir and Eowin should fo been shown more! Think the music in the LOTR sets it apart too, really is a class above fgorm other films.

Looking forward to the Hobbit, Armatige as Thorin is a great cast imo, lots fo great actors though it shoudl be good. I have a few links to production videos somewhere showing how theyre making it etc from jackson, very interesting il link you if your interested :) Do you read much fantasy? The books are certainly hard to get into to but well worht it, the standard of writing is crazy, sometimes a little too much description but incredible writing, deffo my SECOND favourite trilogy series iv read and i like to read alot!

• edited August 2012
    Am I right in hearing the Hobbit is going to be 3 films now. 2 yes, 3 is pushing it a bit.
    Read it after LOTR and wasn't as impressed.
    Never read Harry Potter
    Thought the films of LOTR were great. Difficult to fit it all in.

Bookworm myself Wacko. 2nd favourite trilogy!? Go to know the 1st?
    Not a trilogy but The Belgariad and subsequent I thought were great.
    Raymond Feist's Magician/Silverthorn/Darkness at Sethanon are also great but subequent ones not so.
    Love David Gemmell/Robert Jordan/Terry Goodkind......

What about you Tommy?