You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.

Comments

• edited August 2012
    Hi Tommy, great diary had a look through it but unable to take it all in with their being so much!

Quick question, apologies if anyone has already asked this or has been covered but, I have just finished Univeristy with a degree in Sports Journalism 2:1. Having seen many doors closed with regards to work in the media I am beginning to look over at a career in teaching - Primary School.

I am aiming to take the next 'academic year' out to get as much expreience as I can before taking a PGCE course.

I see that you are a Secondary School Teacher, but I was wondering if you had any advice for me etc? How did you get to where you are now as a teacher, if you don't mind me asking.

Many thanks.
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.:
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Thanks Tommy, will be great to meet u in person - r u going this wkend to the £500 deepstack @ DTD Notts?
    Posted by JingleMa
    No Jingle, gonna just save all the run good for the SPT final.
  • edited August 2012
    Hi Tommy, great diary had a look through it but unable to take it all in with their being so much! Quick question, apologies if anyone has already asked this or has been covered but, I have just finished Univeristy with a degree in Sports Journalism 2:1. Having seen many doors closed with regards to work in the media I am beginning to look over at a career in teaching - Primary School. I am aiming to take the next 'academic year' out to get as much expreience as I can before taking a PGCE course. I see that you are a Secondary School Teacher, but I was wondering if you had any advice for me etc? How did you get to where you are now as a teacher, if you don't mind me asking. Many thanks.
    Posted by KING2600
    Cheers for the kind words King.  I'll try to send you a PM over the weekend, probably Sunday.  Or I might post it here.  Can't right now, for the reasons in my next post.........
  • edited August 2012
    Current Points 40100.

In the last 36 hours I have had to make up about 6k points.  Managed it at about 10.30pm.  Sick of poker right now.  The first two thirds of the day and a half went fine but I just took a nasty variance spanking at DYMs where underpairs found a triplet, kings got taken into the woods and shot and I saw so many miracles I thought I was the only guy who was not a blood relative to either Penn or Teller.  Still up in poker terms (before C4P) for the month, just no as good as it could or maybe should have been if I had played better.

Made my target though, not sure that if I had I stopped at 39k I would have more money in the grand scheme of things, really don't want to look it up as I live near too many bridges.

Going to finish up the main event and then shut down, still somehow in it.  Doubt I'll touch a virtual card tomorrow, need a day off.  I want to get on the forum a bit more, especially to reply to the 'Forum' thread on the forum but I think they deserve me to be at my best.  Right now I'm tired and grouchy, time to reload the brain.
  • edited August 2012
    Well done on reaching your target Tommy, always nice to reach a goal.

Interested to hear your thoughts on the 'Forum' thread, I did post, but the more I tihnk about it, the more I'm torn about whether I agree with what I said or not. Ultimately it's supposed to be a fun place and to be fair I'd say 99% of the time it is.
  • edited August 2012
    Nice thread mate, mini points race?? What... thats not under the promotions tab.. wha the... I'm confused. 
  • edited August 2012
    Haven't been following your diary but nice achievement and wd for catching up with the points in the final day or so. Burnt out I imagine. 

Btw, I was bored earlier and was checking sky players out on sharkscope and I found that you're the most profitable tournament player on sky.. I'm sure you know this lol but that must feel pretty good so congrats again. 
  • edited August 2012
    Nice thread mate, mini points race?? What... thats not under the promotions tab.. wha the... I'm confused. 
    Posted by TPTP123
    Hey TP

When I say mini points race it was a target I set myself with about a week to go, nothing to do with SkyPoker.  Just trying to take advantage of the 'Super Cash For Points' promotion they did run this month.

On a related note there is a disappointing low amount of people in the Russian Roulettes right now, that used to be great to see who was cramming at the last minute.
  • edited September 2012
    Haven't been following your diary but nice achievement and wd for catching up with the points in the final day or so. Burnt out I imagine.  Btw, I was bored earlier and was checking sky players out on sharkscope and I found that you're the most profitable tournament player on sky.. I'm sure you know this lol but that must feel pretty good so congrats again. 
    Posted by percival09
    Hey Perce, cheers mate.

44 pages in and finally someone brings that up.  Percy I could kiss you ;)

I knew I was top ranked on that leaderboard last year and that I was in the mix this year.  That Polo Mint star became somewhat of an obsession for me towards the end of the year.  August 2011 was my single best MTT month on Sky IMO and I was suddenly in the race.  There were plenty of very good players in and around the top spot (Beaneh, LJamesL, etc) for ages but we were all chasing SuperSnedd who was dominating for a long time.  Unsurprising too, very good player.  I had all but given up the ghost in the end and was a few grand behind him with a couples of days left.  Then I luckboxed the UKOPS.

I'm more proud of my progression.  Last year I put a heck of a lot of effort into getting better at MTTs.  As you can see in the early days I was break even.  It all came together and the effort paid off in spades.  Yes I know I ran phenomenally well in those big MTTs last year, but there was effort behind it.  I also do not think most profitable=best, I wouldn't even put myself in the top 20 MTT players on the site  (check out Lumkming's graph and what level he plays, phe-nom-in-al).  I play bigger games, run good in them and the results are great.

And now I have my polo mint star for always.

Heart.
  • edited September 2012
    Haven't been following your diary but nice achievement and wd for catching up with the points in the final day or so. Burnt out I imagine.  Btw, I was bored earlier and was checking sky players out on sharkscope and I found that you're the most profitable tournament player on sky.. I'm sure you know this lol but that must feel pretty good so congrats again. 
    Posted by percival09
    Wow really? I know Wacko90 is up there with a pretty sick ROI. He seems to bink in every big MTT
  • edited September 2012
    Well done on reaching your target Tommy, always nice to reach a goal. Interested to hear your thoughts on the 'Forum' thread, I did post, but the more I tihnk about it, the more I'm torn about whether I agree with what I said or not. Ultimately it's supposed to be a fun place and to be fair I'd say 99% of the time it is.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Cheers Lambo

I will post in that thread, I think it is hugely important and am glad it's been started.  But like I said, it's important and right now I don't think I am able to get my point across as clearly as it deserves.
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Hey Perce, cheers mate. 44 pages in and finally someone brings that up.  Percy I could kiss you ;) I knew I was top ranked on that leaderboard last year and that I was in the mix this year.  That Polo Mint star became somewhat of an obsession for me towards the end of the year.  August 2011 was my single best MTT month on Sky IMO and I was suddenly in the race.  There were plenty of very good players in and around the top spot (Beaneh, LJamesL, etc) for ages but we were all chasing SuperSnedd who was dominating for a long time.  Unsurprising too, very good player.  I had all but given up the ghost in the end and was a few grand behind him with a couples of days left.  Then I luckboxed the UKOPS. I'm more proud of my progression.  Last year I put a heck of a lot of effort into getting better at MTTs.  As you can see in the early days I was break even.  It all came together and the effort paid off in spades.  Yes I know I ran phenomenally well in those big MTTs last year, but there was effort behind it.  I also do not think most profitable=best, I wouldn't even put myself in the top 20 MTT players on the site  (check out Lumkming's graph and what level he plays, phe-nom-in-al).  I play bigger games, run good in them and the results are great. And now I have my polo mint star for always. Heart.
    Posted by TommyD

Erm, I did only mention it so I could possibly get my £80 back? Come on like you need it! Is there a send money feature on sky? Thanks. 

• edited September 2012
    Unbelievable work ethic to reach 40k poker points this month Tommy. I have a lot of respect for your game. Hopefully we'll bump into each other next week at the SPT. Best of luck in the future.

--

patwalshh
  • edited September 2012
    I had a choice this morning.  I had just enough time to either:

1)  Build a set of shelves

2)  Make a Lego X-Wing

I'm 34 for crying out loud.....

The irony is I need the shelves to put it on.
  • edited September 2012
    I have been a bit busy since Vegas and not had a chance to speak with you since then so will be good to have a catch up this weekend mate, anyway, for the time being, I see you are being lazy with your diary so I thought up some questions for you...

When are you back in school? 

When will you be arriving at the SPT next weekend?

How many beers do you owe me?

Do you fancy buying me dinner friday evening? 

How is your bro? (Bit of a legend, will he be attending an Spt in the near future?) 

Will you go back to Vegas again? 

When playing BJ, do you stick or spin on 16? 

Who taught you how to latin dance?

Do you think you will outlast Gret on Saturday? (Considering Greg bust level 1 last year)

Are you happy with Spurs signings? 

What do you think of AVB compared to 'Arry? 

What are your future goals in life and poker?

When will you be getting married?

How many children do you want? 

What would you choose...WSOP Bracelet in a $1k event  or a WSOP ME FT appearance? 

Play one game for England or one season with Spurs? 

If offered a job as a football journalist for £5,000 less than your current wage, would you take it? 

If you had a choice, would you be born as a boy or girl and why? 

Favourite meal? 

Latte or Cappuchino? 

Thats all for now, so if you could answer those before you begin playing poker, thanks

• edited September 2012
    Quietly railed the primo (as I often do in a attempt to learn!)  last nite and all I have to say is "the lucky buffoon" can sure play! ;-))   Don't often chat/comment during or after (think of me as a "secret customer") but thought this was worth a mention.
  • edited September 2012
    Quietly railed the primo (as I often do in a attempt to learn!)  last nite and all I have to say is "the lucky buffoon" can sure play! ;-))   Don't often chat/comment during or after (think of me as a "secret customer") but thought this was worth a mention.
    Posted by Glenelg
    Cheers Pad, nice of you to say.  For those wondering the 'Buffoon' I was referring to was myself, just in case you think I went crazy at the tables and started slating people.  Finished 3rd in the Primo.  Run good in a couple of spots early (BvB Jamming a perceived steal with 44 to see the small have Jacks and get there, 14 or so BB so I think standard spot to jam BvB versus an active player).  Had a lovely spot with KK, open with two coming along.  Flop KTx rainbow.  We all get it in on the flop, they both have QJ and we hold.  Congrats to MacMonster and Wacko who finished 1 & 2, and all of the FTers, including the gentleman in 6th who also finished 6th in the mini.  So tough to do, very well done.

Oh and Dylan, I haven't forgotten your post, busy composing my answer to it, I expect it to be ready sometime mid 2013.
  • edited September 2012
    I have been a bit busy since Vegas and not had a chance to speak with you since then so will be good to have a catch up this weekend mate, anyway, for the time being, I see you are being lazy with your diary so I thought up some questions for you... When are you back in school? Posted by dylan12
    I think your first question deserves a reply all of its own Dyl.

At present I am not an active teacher.  I've decided to take some time out to think about some things.  Nothing serious, but I'm just taking a look at some elements of my life.  As a result you may see me more at the tables during the day.

Before anyone jumps to any conclusions, I have not 'gone pro.'  One of the questions I hear the most is 'Are you going to go pro?' or 'Don't you make more money out of poker than your job?'  I normally like to GIQ but the answer to the second question is yes, it has been that case for a few years somehow.  However that can change in a heartbeat and I do not want to rely on poker as my sole source of income.  It's a fun hobby which I enjoy and touch wood it's been going ok for a while now.

As to my future, well that's TBC.  I might write about it somewhere, not sure where ;)
  • edited September 2012
    Now for hte rest of Dylan's questions, these should help anyone who really want to know more about me or try to impersonate me at events and functions.

When will you be arriving at the SPT next weekend?

Friday, not sure what time.  As we discussed at the tables I'm looking for Friday to be less cardy and more liquid.  Will give you a shout when I'm in town.  Managed to book my hotel a full five days in advance, that's
    five more days than my Blackpool hotel.

How many beers do you owe me?

For railing duties I owe you about twenty.  However when we take off bok tax then I think it comes out to one half of shandy.  ;)

First round on me mate.

Do you fancy buying me dinner friday evening?

Depends, am I going to have to out eat you again.  Nearly did me in last time.  I will never go for a 22oz steak again, woke up at four in the morning with so much kidney pain I thought they were rejecting me.

How is your bro? (Bit of a legend, will he be attending an Spt in the near future?)

He's doing good, just bought a swanky new car.  Not sure if he'll be at one in the future but will defo ask him.  I've got a feeling if there is one in Ireland next year then both him and my Dad will fancy it.

Will you go back to Vegas again?

Hopefully next WSOP time.  Going to have another crack at it.  Need to do better than last time, let myself down a bit with how poorly I played.

When playing BJ, do you stick or spin on 16?

It all depends on the dealer's card.  Lots of them are a stick, despite what Jackally's Blackjack App says!

Who taught you how to latin dance?

GregHogg.  Obviously.  Guy's a Rumba Warrior.  I loved that club, can't remember much about it but I do remember you struggling to roll a smoke while shaking your booty.  It's a tough ask for anyone.

Do you think you will outlast Greg on Saturday? (Considering Greg bust level 1 last year)

TBH after Blackpool I think if me and Greg had a last longer it could be the shortest last longer in history.  Then again he's running like Mo Farah on fire right now.  Would be lovely to see him go deep.  Obviously more lovely to see myself run deeper.

Are you happy with Spurs signings?

Let's play 'You Are The Manager?'  You have a place for two players, your three choices are:  Luka Modric, Rafa Van De Vart and Clint Dempsey.  Who gets the place on the bench.  That and we didn't need a goalkeeper.  And we're struggling for strikers.  In short no, no I'm not.

What do you think of AVB compared to 'Arry?

AVB looks like a 'Jim'll Fix It' competition winner.  I'm still not completely convinced this wasn't how he got the job.

What are your future goals in life and poker

Be happy and enjoy it.  That is an answer for both.

When will you be getting married?

Well I've been waiting for you to propose for some time now.....

How many children do you want?

Never really thought about having kids TBH.  Doesn't feel like the right time at the moment.

What would you choose...WSOP Bracelet in a $1k event  or a WSOP ME FT appearance?

Good question.  If the $1k event was NLHE then the ME FT every time.  However if it was a variant, in other words not one of the ten to a penny NLHE $1k MTTs, then I'd take the bracelet.

Play one game for England or one season with Spurs?

Spurs all the way.

If offered a job as a football journalist for £5,000 less than your current wage, would you take it?

In a heartbeat.

If you had a choice, would you be born as a boy or girl and why?

Boy.  It's tough to park the car in London.

Favourite meal?

I gorgeously greasy fry up.  Black pudding and fried bread are essential, mushrooms preferred.

Latte or Cappuchino?  CAPPA!  But I'd rather just a normal coffee.  So hard to get just a normal coffee these days.  Bit like it's hard to buy Black football boots.

There you go Dyl, hope that satisfies for a while ;)
  • edited September 2012
    Nice work on reaching 40k c4p. Don't think I've made that many this year! Made priority club in February but haven't been anywhere near it since. 

Always enjoy reading your posts helps the afternoon fly by! keep up the good work 

Hopefully see you in Nottingham at the weekend
  • edited September 2012
    Nice work on reaching 40k c4p. Don't think I've made that many this year! Made priority club in February but haven't been anywhere near it since.  Always enjoy reading your posts helps the afternoon fly by! keep up the good work  Hopefully see you in Nottingham at the weekend
    Posted by PiAnOpLaYa
    Cheers Piano

Will be trying to update more, Dyl is always on my case to do so.  Look me up at DTD.  I always say it but I do mean it, anyone who is there feel free to come say hello.  I'll be at the bar (I hear there are two of them at DTD now, so it's a 50/50 spin).
  • edited September 2012
    The Paralympics is so inspiring.  Watching yesterday I saw people with one leg jump over the equivalent of me wearing a top hat.  I can barely get off the ground with two legs.  Unreal.

I played a couple of tournies on another site this morning while watching the swimming.  At the same as I watched Ellie Simmonds (my new pick for Sports Personality of the Year, finally such a competitive year for that comp) qualify for yet another final, some fellow from Romania was calling me all sorts of names for three betting him and telling me how he's going to smash my face in.  Luckily I'm not often in Romania so I think I'm safe.  It just got me thinking, here are people with the kinds of set-backs and impairments most of us couldn't dream of.  They don't have so much of what we take for granted.  One of the athelete's backstory was sitting next to a suicide bomber on 7/7.  She lost her legs.  Her response to this was to learn sitting volleyball and compete at London2012.  Our Romanian friend gets 3bet and has to fold his QTs in an $11 poker game.  His reaction is to hurl abuse and threaten my life with the improbable scenario that we will ever meet.  I think this truly shows who are winners and losers in life, regardless of medals round a neck or cash in the bank.
  • edited September 2012
    Just got in and came straight to check if you had finally answered my basic questions, you have so I am happy. 

Some great answers there that brought back some memories...the blackjack was ace, watching jakally do my money in was not so ace and when he spun on 16 we both looked in amazement lol 

The steak, jeez, what a feast that was - never again and you did indeed out do me on that one! 

The latin night club was one of the best moments of the trip comedy wise, I can still see you and Wayne dancing now lol Fun times! 

Thanks for answering, I have a load more but will leave it for a week or so (or until this needs another bump)

See you friday and liquid over cards it is, will probably be at DTD from 8pm onwards so see you at the bar mate! 
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : I think your first question deserves a reply all of its own Dyl. At present I am not an active teacher.  I've decided to take some time out to think about some things.  Nothing serious, but I'm just taking a look at some elements of my life.  As a result you may see me more at the tables during the day. Before anyone jumps to any conclusions, I have not 'gone pro.'  One of the questions I hear the most is 'Are you going to go pro?' or 'Don't you make more money out of poker than your job?'  I normally like to GIQ but the answer to the second question is yes, it has been that case for a few years somehow.  However that can change in a heartbeat and I do not want to rely on poker as my sole source of income.  It's a fun hobby which I enjoy and touch wood it's been going ok for a while now. As to my future, well that's TBC.  I might write about it somewhere, not sure where ;)
    Posted by TommyD
    Interesting to know this, I remember chatting to you about this in Vegas, i will have another chat with you at DTD about it! 

P.S. Just seen you came 3rd in Primo, Gratz mate, one day you may be as good as me, one day! 
  • edited September 2012
    Just got in and came straight to check if you had finally answered my basic questions, you have so I am happy.  Some great answers there that brought back some memories...the blackjack was ace, watching jakally do my money in was not so ace and when he spun on 16 we both looked in amazement lol  The steak, jeez, what a feast that was - never again and you did indeed out do me on that one!  The latin night club was one of the best moments of the trip comedy wise, I can still see you and Wayne dancing now lol Fun times!  Thanks for answering, I have a load more but will leave it for a week or so (or until this needs another bump) See you friday and liquid over cards it is, will probably be at DTD from 8pm onwards so see you at the bar mate! 
    Posted by dylan12
    The best Vegas memory for me still remains the 100 year old woman getting out of her death bed to play us at 1/2 Limit.  And when her motorised chair ran over Glitterbabe's foot.  First time I've seen him change his expression at a poker table.
  • edited September 2012
    Sabbatical's FTW!   Just don't do as I once did and waste it!!  Well when I say waste, my climbing improved & I got some nice stamps in my passport! ;-)) Viva did not go well tho! ;-((
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : The best Vegas memory for me still remains the 100 year old woman getting out of her death bed to play us at 1/2 Limit.  And when her motorised chair ran over Glitterbabe's foot.  First time I've seen him change his expression at a poker table.
    Posted by TommyD
    Massive plus 1 to this. I was sat next to him and he was in so much pain and she had no clue about what she had done and I sat there nearly crying with laughter.

Was good playing with you in yesterdays bounty hunter....oh I mean freezeout!

Looking forward to SPT...see you Friday.

Matt
  • edited September 2012
    Just got in and came straight to check if you had finally answered my basic questions, you have so I am happy.  Some great answers there that brought back some memories...the blackjack was ace, watching jakally do my money in was not so ace and when he spun on 16 we both looked in amazement lol  The steak, jeez, what a feast that was - never again and you did indeed out do me on that one!  The latin night club was one of the best moments of the trip comedy wise, I can still see you and Wayne dancing nowlol Fun times!  Thanks for answering, I have a load more but will leave it for a week or so (or until this needs another bump) See you friday and liquid over cards it is, will probably be at DTD from 8pm onwards so see you at the bar mate! 
    Posted by dylan12
    Wayne's dancing was poetry in motion, a modern day Anna Pavlova with a little more hip action.  You'd think a Latin Club full of Latino Women would be what young men's dreams are made of.  It's not like the DVDs.  Then again I looked haggard after days of constant poker and hours of Jaeger so I was hardly an oil painting either.  Was a great laugh though.

Anyone seen or heard from OldBoy?  I know Foley and obv Matt are making the SPT, be great to see Kev there as well.
  • edited September 2012
    Sabbatical's FTW!   Just don't do as I once did and waste it!!  Well when I say waste, my climbing improved & I got some nice stamps in my passport! ;-)) Viva did not go well tho! ;-((
    Posted by Glenelg
    Cheers Pad.

What's the biggest thing you have ever climbed?  Below is the start of my biggest attempt:

I would of made it too, but as you can see from the photo, Greg is about to mug me.
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Massive plus 1 to this. I was sat next to him and he was in so much pain and she had no clue about what she had done and I sat there nearly crying with laughter. Was good playing with you in yesterdays bounty hunter....oh I mean freezeout! Looking forward to SPT...see you Friday. Matt
    Posted by MattBates
    Yeah thanks for the protection in the BHer/Freezeout BTW.  Non existent bounties FTW.

Any news if Adam's making it to the SPT as well?  You mentioned something yesterday but my mind is a little cheesy.