You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.

Comments

• edited September 2012
    Is there Quasar as well?  Now that would be a triathalon I could get behind.
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.:
    Is there Quasar as well?  Now that would be a triathalon I could get behind.
    Posted by TommyD
    Aww I hope so! I've always wanted to go to Quasar, I never met the height requirement when my brother's used to go when we were kids (they're about 8 years older than me), and never got round to going as an adult.
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Aww I hope so! I've always wanted to go to Quasar, I never met the height requirement when my brother's used to go when we were kids (they're about 8 years older than me), and never got round to going as an adult.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Just searched it and yes, that bowling alley has quasar.

I suggest a team event across the three sports of ten pin bowling, pool and laser tag, would have to be on the Friday night because obviously we'll all make Day 2 of the 6 Max.  Either that or we make it a morning thing on Sat and Sun.  Takers?
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Just searched it and yes, that bowling alley has quasar. I suggest a team event across the three sports of ten pin bowling, pool and laser tag, would have to be on the Friday night because obviously we'll all make Day 2 of the 6 Max.  Either that or we make it a morning thing on Sat and Sun.  Takers?
    Posted by TommyD
    I'm definitely up for this but I'll only be there Sat + Sun, so a morning thing on Sat + Sun would be better for me... either that or we can all just bust out the main.

EDIT: No pink trousers this time Tommy
  • edited September 2012

Hi Tommy,

I'd be up4this, sounds like a great idea (although I've never done Quasar either lol).

Do u want2split a hotel aswel?
  • edited September 2012
    Sounds great fun. I'm horrible at bowling and pool, and I'm sure I'm at a huge disadvantage in quasar. Better to get my excuses in early.

Where is everyone staying? I'm usually going for whatever is cheapest on laterooms.com, but if everyone is staying in the same place I don't want to miss out on pre and post poker shenanigans.
  • edited September 2012
    Sounds great fun. I'm horrible at bowling and pool, and I'm sure I'm at a huge disadvantage in quasar. Better to get my excuses in early. Where is everyone staying? I'm usually going for whatever is cheapest on laterooms.com, but if everyone is staying in the same place I don't want to miss out on pre and post poker shenanigans.
    Posted by Giant811
    Me and Emma are at the Holiday Inn, think it's called something like Castle Marina Park... it's the one with a premier inn or travelodge right next door to it.
  • edited September 2012
    Sounds great fun. I'm horrible at bowling and pool, and I'm sure I'm at a huge disadvantage in quasar. Better to get my excuses in early. Where is everyone staying? I'm usually going for whatever is cheapest on laterooms.com, but if everyone is staying in the same place I don't want to miss out on pre and post poker shenanigans.
    Posted by Giant811

Hi Giant, I've sent u PM

• edited September 2012
    Hey guys, I know I've got some questions and PMs to get to, will do tomorrow.  I posted in another thread about how diaries should be about the giddy heights as well as the crushing lows.  Here's both ends of the spectrum from tonight.

When the value shove works:
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    cityground Small blind  £0.50 £0.50 £197.11
    Dai_Vader Big blind  £1.00 £1.50 £102.55
     Your hole cards

ewalili1 Fold     
    Gixxer1 Fold     
    Raise  £2.00 £3.50 £140.62
    TommyD Raise  £7.00 £10.50 £124.50
    cityground Fold     
    Dai_Vader Fold     
    xCall  £5.00 £15.50 £135.62
    Flop

• K

xCheck     
    TommyD Check     
    Turn

Check     
    TommyD Bet  £11.63 £27.13 £112.87
    Call  £11.63 £38.76 £123.99
    River

• A

Bet  £10.00 £48.76 £113.99
    TommyD All-in  £112.87 £161.63 £0.00
    Call  £102.87 £264.50 £11.12
    Show
    • A
    • K

TommyD Show

TommyD Win Three 10s £262.70
    When you throw up a little in your mouth.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    A1_SCADGE Small blind  £0.50 £0.50 £117.40
    TommyD Big blind  £1.00 £1.50 £297.80
     Your hole cards
    • A
    • K

launder Fold     
    Dai_Vader Fold     
    xRaise  £2.00 £3.50 £328.42
    cityground Fold     
    A1_SCADGE Call  £1.50 £5.00 £115.90
    TommyD Raise  £7.00 £12.00 £290.80
    xCall  £6.00 £18.00 £322.42
    A1_SCADGE Fold     
    Flop

• A

TommyD Bet  £13.00 £31.00 £277.80
    Raise  £57.00 £88.00 £265.42
    TommyD Call  £44.00 £132.00 £233.80
    Turn

TommyD Check     
    xAll-in  £265.42 £397.42 £0.00
    TommyD All-in  £233.80 £631.22 £0.00
    xUnmatched bet  £31.62 £599.60 £31.62
    TommyD Show
    • A
    • K

xShow
    • A

River

xWin Two Pairs, Aces and 8s £597.80
  • edited October 2012
    Poker news.

Giving the 'King of Cash' promo somewhat of a go.  If I get some rhythm together I will pile on the volume, it's just getting the grind going.  On the plus side all of those low levels DYMs I was doing last month has really helped me with my multitabling, nearly cracked 12.  Yes I do have the occasional timeout still but it's progressing nicely.

Life news

Sigh moment and dilemma has struck.  A few pages ago I talked about my mate who broke up with someone.  Now through the grapevine (second only in absolute factual accuracy to Wikipedia) my GF heard that the lady in the above situation may well have been seeing someone else at the time.  And my mate doesn't know.

Now my advice for any boys and girls out there in this situation, please think before telling your partner any gossip and consider any tough spots you are putting them in.  In other words I really wish my GF didn't tell me, now I don't know what to do.  I make a point of staying out of other peoples relationships, especially the breakup part.  And I consider both sides friends.  I don't even know if this story is genuine, what do I do if I decide to tell him?  'Well X told Y that Z had overheard etc.'

What would you do?
  • edited October 2012

Film news.

The Avengers Assemble movie is a better comicbook film than Dark Knight Rises.  Feels good getting that out.  Please feel free to argue against this and I'll point out how you are mistaken ;)

• edited October 2012
    deny everything - say nothing !

• edited October 2012
    What would you do?
    Posted by TommyD

Re: poker..I noticed you were crushing the cash tables earlier.  Some nice tweets floating around! lol

Re: dilemma....I'd  watch http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt1578275/ for inspiration/what to do/what NOT to do!

Re: Movie news...I liked Avengers but not really a Dark Knight/Batman fan so . Oh and comics are for kids! Incidentally, re movies...I "helped out" for a couple of days on Skyfall when it was being filmed in Scotland and have blagged a trip south later this month for the premiere.  I need a +1. Offers? No time wasters or tyre kickers.
  • edited October 2012
    stay out of it - unless you want to take sides

even if she did, do we know why? maybe he drove her to it. Not suggesting that he did, but highlighting that from the outside one cannot know the why, even if one knows the what.

provide the shoulder to cry on, to both sides, but don't leak any info across.

• edited October 2012

Have you considered 'consoling' your mates ex? :)

A quick teacher story for you at bedtime. My lad was playing footy for his school last Thursday, so I finished work early to do the proud Dad on the touch-line duty. Anyway, he is now at a school that I went to a couple (cough) of years ago. The same games teacher is still there, and lets just say me and him never really saw eye to eye and had a few run ins.
    I turned up in my hoody and began to watch the match while trying not to get in his eyeline. At half time, he walked coolly past me and uttered these words....'I can see you Alan, try to behave please' with a smirk. 
  • edited October 2012
    deny everything - say nothing !
    Posted by rancid
    My default position Rancid, probably how I'm going to go.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Re: poker..I noticed you were crushing the cash tables earlier.  Some nice tweets floating around! lol Re: dilemma....I'd  watch  http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt1578275/  for inspiration/what to do/what NOT to do! Re: Movie news...I liked Avengers but not really a Dark Knight/Batman fan so . Oh and comics are for kids! Incidentally, re movies...I "helped out" for a couple of days on Skyfall when it was being filmed in Scotland and have blagged a trip south later this month for the premiere.  I need a +1. Offers? No time wasters or tyre kickers.
    Posted by Glenelg
    Thank you for saying I'm crushing.  I wouldn't say that myself.  Got a head scratcher at the moment pokerwise, I am doing nicely at NL100 but getting crushed so far this month at nl50.  Not exactly a massive sample size but it's annoying me, well up at NL50 lifetime, what's happened to me?!?!?!  Touch wood I'll get it sorted, I think I'm playing too loose there, either that I'm getting systematically soul read.

Comics?  Ahem, I think you'll find they are Graphic Novels.  And they rock.

Oh and sick brag on Skyfall, looks like a good movie from the trailer, but trailers have lied to me before (I'm talking to you Ted).
  • edited October 2012
    stay out of it - unless you want to take sides even if she did, do we know why? maybe he drove her to it. Not suggesting that he did, but highlighting that from the outside one cannot know the why, even if one knows the what. provide the shoulder to cry on, to both sides, but don't leak any info across.
    Posted by GELDY
    Good advice Geldy, probably going to go this route.

Just you know he'll find out at some stage, it always comes out.  I was in that spot a long long time ago and I got a little heated with a couple of people who knew.

I'm thinking 'don't get involved' is the way to go though.
  • edited October 2012
    Have you considered 'consoling' your mates ex? :) A quick teacher story for you at bedtime. My lad was playing footy for his school last Thursday, so I finished work early to do the proud Dad on the touch-line duty. Anyway, he is now at a school that I went to a couple (cough) of years ago. The same games teacher is still there, and lets just say me and him never really saw eye to eye and had a few run ins. I turned up in my hoody and began to watch the match while trying not to get in his eyeline. At half time, he walked coolly past me and uttered these words....'I can see you Alan, try to behave please' with a smirk. 
    Posted by MAXALLY

Hmmmm, work on your maths Maxy.

Haha, love the fact you've got a hoody on as well for that story.  Great stuff.  Oh and thanks for the standard Maxally advice of taking the route favoured by the interests of the male lower brain.
  • edited October 2012
    Hey Tommy

Poker news...You seem adept enough at multi-tabling to me. Do you think you could stick to NL100 and above though. You can read my soul @NL50.

Life news..Best to keep quiet on this one, no good can come of it. I've lost a couple of long standing friendships over the years by being principled over matters like this. Save you AND your mate the grief pal.

Film news...I have to agree, Avengers (I hate the 'assemble' add, as though we we are gonna start wondering when John Steed and Purdey are gonna turn up!!) is a great comic book film. After years of dragging my son to cinemas to watch all the superhero movies, a rainy day on our Northumbrian break meant all four of us took shelter in the Odeon to watch it. Reviews from Wife, Son, Daughter and myself were unaminous. A great family movie:- decent plot, cracking pace, loads of action where you can actually tell what is happening and some great one-liners.

Dark Knight Rises is a decent movie but the twist villain reveal was pointlessly contrived, also ruined a great back story for Bane IMO.

GL with the grind!!
  • edited October 2012
    Hey Tommy Poker news...You seem adept enough at multi-tabling to me. Do you think you could stick to NL100 and above though. You can read my soul @NL50. Life news..Best to keep quiet on this one, no good can come of it. I've lost a couple of long standing friendships over the years by being principled over matters like this. Save you AND your mate the grief pal. Film news...I have to agree, Avengers (I hate the 'assemble' add, as though we we are gonna start wondering when John Steed and Purdey are gonna turn up!!) is a great comic book film. After years of dragging my son to cinemas to watch all the superhero movies, a rainy day on our Northumbrian break meant all four of us took shelter in the Odeon to watch it. Reviews from Wife, Son, Daughter and myself were unaminous. A great family movie:- decent plot, cracking pace, loads of action where you can actually tell what is happening and some great one-liners. Dark Knight Rises is a decent movie but the twist villain reveal was pointlessly contrived, also ruined a great back story for Bane IMO. GL with the grind!!
    Posted by SJspanky1
    Cheers Spanky.

Yeah I obviously loved Avengers, I thought it was as close to having a good comic book on the screen as you possibly could, loved how it moved from action to humour to sad moments and back again effortlessly and in a manner which made sense.  I liked all of the Nolan trilogy but being a fanboy I saw that twist coming a long way off.  The problem with both DKR and DK (less so BB) was they crammed in too many classic Batman stories.  If I watch a movie I want a new story, not some remix.  But maybe that's just me as a fanboy.
  • edited October 2012
    A question for the multi tablers out there.  As I've detailed I'm slowly getting there 12 tabling, still a few timeouts and had a bad spot earlier where I inadvertently slowrolled someone with top set (TBF it wasn't the nuts but they were taking so long with their decision I suddenly had three more pop up so I took my attention away and when it came back they were all in and I had just over half my bar left).

The question - I seem to have a blindspot for one table position.  It's timing out a lot more than the others and what's more worrying is I sometimes miss being away for a few hands before I notice.  Does anyone else have a blindspot table?  I'm using a four tables along, three high set up.  Always the same one.  Sigh.  Maybe it's just practice.
  • edited October 2012
    I use the same layout as yourself Tommy.
    For me its the bottom left and bottom right corners and the ones immediately above these that seem to run down the quickest and require desperate mouse stabs and clicks.
    How you finding 12 affects your decision making? If I'm totally honest I probably play better and have a more adequate response time with 8 or 9 open.
    Thing is I join all the waiting lists and keep buying in as they pop open only cancelling them when they appear and my screens already full.
    Need to be less greedy but all these C4P promos...........
  • edited October 2012

Nice work on the thinly veiled brag while closing down that slanging match thread Tommy lol.

So is everyone still up for some fun and games at DTD? Maybe it's the cash promo but it all seems to have went a bit quiet with regards to the coming SPT... usually it's all people talk about but I haven't heard it mentioned once for ages now.

• edited October 2012
    hi Tommy,
    re;multi tabling
    i didn't find that i had a blind spot table but found myself getting involved on a particular table at times,and this would mean i would miss out on action at other tables.
    so i now make my decision asap within reason and quickly move away from that table once my decision has been made.
    if i have an 'all-in' decision for example and it's marginal i can now move away from that table and play other tables,whilst thinking about the 'all-in' decision in my mind and then go back to that table before the time bar runs out.this is something that i would not have been able to do a short while ago.
    i think in your case it could be that you are involved with say 2 or 3 tables,and possibly 'big decisions' and therfore some other tables will inevitably time out.the fact that it seems to possibly be your 'blind spot' table is more likely to be that you have 11 other tables to play and therfore this 1 table is going to time out quite regularly.
    although i am playing DYM as opposed to cash it was a problem that took me a while to sort out.
    i also now have 2 monitors which means i can play 9 tables (3x3) on each.
    it will probably pay you to get another in time imo, as it means you could also play more tables,which i'm pretty sure you will in time, also with no overlap.
    as to prastise?yes,the more you play the easier it gets,i have also found.
    (the more i play the luckier i get,comes to mind.)

gl
    :)
    dev
    ps;only 18 more to go and you will be giving beaney a 'run for his money'  lolz
  • edited October 2012
    Nice work on the thinly veiled brag while closing down that slanging match thread Tommy lol. So is everyone still up for some fun and games at DTD? Maybe it's the cash promo but it all seems to have went a bit quiet with regards to the coming SPT... usually it's all people talk about but I haven't heard it mentioned once for ages now.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Haha, you know I mentioned I was on the bubble right?  Well I embraced that bubble.

I'm really looking forward to the 6-max, as are a lot of other people.  I just think at the moment everyone's a little bleugh about stuff so no one is bigging it up a ton, we just had the grand final and there's a little hang over IMO.  Don't worry, these things always work in a cycle, by the time we're approaching Dublin or Stratford people will be going crazy about them.

For me I've decided to 'open up' for the 6-max.  I've played hideously live for the last year/eighteen months.  I've played far too tight in a lot of spots, played too 'unthinking' loose in the wrong spots, gone into my shell after taking a naughty one far too much.  I just hate how I've played at recent SPTs TBH.  I think I've been scared to look silly by busting level one or two so I've just stuck around like a bad smell waiting, dribbling off my stack waiting to run Jacks into Kings.  Well DTD has a lovely bar and a bowling alley nearby, I'm just going to open up and play like it's an online game.  I bust early a fair bit online.  I also have a decent record of running deep when things click.  Gonna give it a go.

Oh and for me bowling/quasar/pool is still happening.
  • edited October 2012
    hi Tommy, re;multi tabling i didn't find that i had a blind spot table but found myself getting involved on a particular table at times,and this would mean i would miss out on action at other tables. so i now make my decision asap within reason and quickly move away from that table once my decision has been made. if i have an 'all-in' decision for example and it's marginal i can now move away from that table and play other tables,whilst thinking about the 'all-in' decision in my mind and then go back to that table before the time bar runs out.this is something that i would not have been able to do a short while ago. i think in your case it could be that you are involved with say 2 or 3 tables,and possibly 'big decisions' and therfore some other tables will inevitably time out.the fact that it seems to possibly be your 'blind spot' table is more likely to be that you have 11 other tables to play and therfore this 1 table is going to time out quite regularly. although i am playing DYM as opposed to cash it was a problem that took me a while to sort out. i also now have 2 monitors which means i can play 9 tables (3x3) on each. it will probably pay you to get another in time imo, as it means you could also play more tables,which i'm pretty sure you will in time, also with no overlap. as to prastise?yes,the more you play the easier it gets,i have also found. (the more i play the luckier i get,comes to mind.) gl :) dev ps;only 18 more to go and you will be giving beaney a 'run for his money'  lolz
    Posted by devonfish5

Cheers Dev, got a few good points there.

I think you're right that I need another monitor, I'll put it on the treat list.  I use that as motivation (get of X amount and buy a treat).  A second monitor would probably be the least geeky thing on there.

And I'll never play as many as Beaneh, he can see the Matrix ;)
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Cheers Dev, got a few good points there. I think you're right that I need another monitor, I'll put it on the treat list.  I use that as motivation (get of X amount and buy a treat).  A second monitor would probably be the least geeky thing on there. And I'll never play as many as Beaneh, he can see the Matrix ;)
    Posted by TommyD
    ty Tommy,
    yes,that's what i did.i decided that i wanted to try and get up to 18 tables so bought an i7 pc back in march and a 2nd monitor shortly afterwards,all out of my poker winnings.
     i was only playing 9 tables a few months ago,now i can almost play 12-15 without even thinking.
    i did get up to 19 last Saturday which was a bit scary.  lol
    so if i can do it.....
    say no more.
    best of luck
    :)
    dev
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Haha, you know I mentioned I was on the bubble right?  Well I embraced that bubble. I'm really looking forward to the 6-max, as are a lot of other people.  I just think at the moment everyone's a little bleugh about stuff so no one is bigging it up a ton, we just had the grand final and there's a little hang over IMO.  Don't worry, these things always work in a cycle, by the time we're approaching Dublin or Stratford people will be going crazy about them. For me I've decided to 'open up' for the 6-max.  I've played hideously live for the last year/eighteen months.  I've played far too tight in a lot of spots, played too 'unthinking' loose in the wrong spots, gone into my shell after taking a naughty one far too much.  I just hate how I've played at recent SPTs TBH.  I think I've been scared to look silly by busting level one or two so I've just stuck around like a bad smell waiting, dribbling off my stack waiting to run Jacks into Kings.  Well DTD has a lovely bar and a bowling alley nearby, I'm just going to open up and play like it's an online game.  I bust early a fair bit online.  I also have a decent record of running deep when things click.  Gonna give it a go. Oh and for me bowling/quasar/pool is still happening.
    Posted by TommyD
    Ayop Tommy & Lambo, yes I'm coming up on Fri & will be up4this (although I've neva dun Quasar b4!).
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : ty Tommy, yes,that's what i did.i decided that i wanted to try and get up to 18 tables so bought an i7 pc back in march and a 2nd monitor shortly afterwards,all out of my poker winnings.  i was only playing 9 tables a few months ago,now i can almost play 12-15 without even thinking. i did get up to 19 last Saturday which was a bit scary.  lol so if i can do it..... say no more. best of luck :) dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    Sicko. ;-)