You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.

Comments

• edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.:
    Out of the UKOPS 2 main.  I really need to stop jamming over button raises with AT.  It's a real leak, that accounted for 18 of my 30 BB stack, AT<AQ.  The rest went the next orbit, button jam with AQ in AK.  Not really happy with how I played. Still in the Side, just had a talking to from my least favourite player on the site so as I am so bad I expect to be out of that as well pretty soon.  Got a lot to catch up on with the old Sky+ so it'll be nice to have the time.
    Posted by TommyD
    What???? I didn't play the side!
  • edited October 2012
    Hi Tommy,  We don't hear from you in weeks and then..........lol!  Yes, I knew about Mars, location has been duly changed. UL (so far) in UKOPS. Re American Footie my son is a BIG Noo Awleans fan and when they were in the superbowl couple of years ago I sat up and "watched" it with him & a few of his mates.  Twas the best sleep I'd had in weeks!  
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : This post genuinely made me lol several times !  Hoping to go to Wembley next year and see one of the 2 games there next year (Yes 2 games,  NFL is growing in the Uk n all that).  Sounds like a great day out. GL with Ukops,  sure you'll make at least 3 final tables !  
    Posted by 1267
    Cheers 67.

It's well worth going for the experience if you're in to your NFL.  I don't know if a London franchise would ever be sustainable but these events are sure getting support.  The biggest lol moment are the dozens of people selling flags outside, many being bought, and getting to the turnstile and being told you can't take flagpoles into the ground.  There's piles of piles outside each gate as people just rip off the flag.
  • edited October 2012
    was there at Wembley also m8 shame the game got one sided. thought we were in for a good one after the Rams scored so quickly with you on Train - no idea who they were but recognised the songs we had a rabid Rams fan behind us. i swear she was going to go down and sort out the umpires at times. towards the end though we were more concerned with the other matches. there were 5 of us - a Dolphins fan (I think he thought he was dreaming winning by such a margin), a Bears fan (biting his nails), an Oakland fan biding his time, a Vikings fan (me - crying into his beer), and a Browns fan (who got the biggest cheer in our section, we might get a beer out of him). I got a red bag-not sure which flag I was part of as were close to the end definately going next year to Vikings v Steelers. may even take my son if he gets more interested. He'll want the foot long hotdog! Bit of a trek as we'll get back in the early hours. Not sure about Jaguars v  49ers. managed to get some flags out of hte boxes around the Stadium. Why they weern't on the seats as usual?! With you on the Stadium and the food/beer. Best bit though is all the fans. I think just about every team is there although the vast majority (every time) has been Pats. Can't wait until next year. Good luck
    Posted by walesboy
    Yeah I heard they had flags there last year, think it's the security thing again.  TBH I saw a jersey from every single NFL team apart from my KC.  Then again I wouldn't wear one of those in public either....

Yeah gonna try to get to one of them next year, not sure which yet.
  • edited October 2012
    ul Tommy - but a few days to go yet - glglgl meanwhile interested in your comment about jamming AT over the button raise. i've been doing similar when becoming short-stacked - and been called by worse - and lived to tell the story. but tonight I was the small stack in the 10pm 1.5k BH, i think we had already made it to the cash, when I got A9 in the BB, and a large stack popped it up on the button. normally i would have shoved & prayed. but having just read your post the phrase "AT shove is a leak" "AT shove is a leak" "AT shove is a leak" was going around my head. and if AT is a leak - wow there's no hope for A9. so contrary to all my usual instincts I laid it down. who knows what would have happened if i'd shoved, but I survived another hand, and with some good judgement and a little bit of luck i ended up binking 2nd, So, thank you for getting me to re-appraise my play and helping me to a decent cash.
    Posted by GELDY
    Glad my AT advice may have helped you mate.

To be truthful if it's correct to rejam with AT is completely situational.  There are some blind v button raise spots where it is absolutely the right thing to do, others when it's not.  My problem is I didn't start thinking about it until after I jammed, I just saw the pretty ATs and decided to go with it.  In my case the button wasn't opening many pots and wasn't really playing a stack to bet fold often from.  Against his range ATs just wasn't doing too good.  Against some people AT is practically the nuts there.

Nice binking mate, keep it rolling!
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : What???? I didn't play the side!
    Posted by MattBates
    You'll always be my hero Matt ;)
  • edited October 2012
    Hi Tommy,  We don't hear from you in weeks and then..........lol!  Yes, I knew about Mars, location has been duly changed. UL (so far) in UKOPS. Re American Footie my son is a BIG Noo Awleans fan and when they were in the superbowl couple of years ago I sat up and "watched" it with him & a few of his mates.  Twas the best sleep I'd had in weeks!  
    Posted by Glenelg
    haha, I've fallen asleep in front of many a game of NFL and Baseball.  It can be quite peaceful.

Yup Glenelg twinned with a bit of Mars, does that make the planet practically Scottish then?  Next thing you know Mars will want independence...
  • edited October 2012
    So my first day of UKOPS finishes with a small win.  I satted into the sidey and finished 6th so I ended up covering my buy ins and leaving enough on the side for a CD.  I might get one by Train.  Then again, their set did make me go to the bar so maybe I'll just get a Hendrix CD like always....

Not happy with how I played the UKOPS MTTS tbh.  Sat on my hands at the wrong time and played too wide at others.  At least I have something to build on, roll on tonight!
  • edited October 2012
    So my first day of UKOPS finishes with a small win.  I satted into the sidey and finished 6th so I ended up covering my buy ins and leaving enough on the side for a CD.  I might get one by Train.  Then again, their set did make me go to the bar so maybe I'll just get a Hendrix CD like always.... Not happy with how I played the UKOPS MTTS tbh.  Sat on my hands at the wrong time and played too wide at others.  At least I have something to build on, roll on tonight!
    Posted by TommyD
    Too good, way too good.
  • edited October 2012
    @Tommyd - just heard of Train recently,  their track "Hey, Soul Sister" is ALL over the airways at the minute!
  • edited October 2012
    @Tommyd - just heard of Train recently,  their track "Hey, Soul Sister" is ALL over the airways at the minute!
    Posted by Glenelg
    Really, which station did you hear it on?
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Too good, way too good.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thank you Sir, although I fear something has started now.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Really, which station did you hear it on?
    Posted by TommyD
    Yeah you're right think it was "Rail Radio".
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : haha, I've fallen asleep in front of many a game of NFL and Baseball.  It can be quite peaceful. Yup Glenelg twinned with a bit of Mars, does that make the planet practically Scottish then?  Next thing you know Mars will want independence...
    Posted by TommyD
    Went to the first game at wembley giants v dolphins? Had a few shandys before I got there and promptly fell asleep after jocelyn brown sang the star spangled banner. Woke for the second half but jocelyn was the highlight of the game, pitch cut up terrible. 
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Went to the first game at wembley giants v dolphins? Had a few shandys before I got there and promptly fell asleep after jocelyn brown sang the star spangled banner. Woke for the second half but jocelyn was the highlight of the game, pitch cut up terrible. 
    Posted by wartic
    The pitch held up a lot better this time.  I think they've sorted out the pitch finally.  Yeah I think a mate of mine was very close to having a little shushy nine-nine due to the odd shandy.
  • edited October 2012
    Ok, time for UKOPS 3.  Double stacks, yay!  Plenty of room for donk maneuver, yay!  Music cued up (tonight we have Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails, Mansun, Marilyn Manson, Pulp - maximum tunage).  Let's get donking shall we?
  • edited October 2012
    Busto all three UKOPS events of the night in quick succession for zero pounds.  Just what I deserved to be quite truthful.  Did I play bad?  Not really, more to the point I didn't really play.  It happens in any game or sport, sometimes you rock up, really looking forward to the event and just when you go to your metaphorical locker, it's completely bare.  Just nothing in the tank, I'm ground down a little from all of the cash action this month but no excuses, I just didn't have that illusive 'it' tonight.  Never mind, as Scarlet said, tomorrow is another day.  It's frustrating but I'm not overly concerned, this month has been a nicely successful one.  The big picture is rosy :)
  • edited November 2012
    Well that was emotional.  Pure bubbled the UKOPS 4 main in a rather nasty way.  No complaints, got a couple of slices of luck in the tourney but also had plenty going the other way.  Just one of those MTTs where every time you're favourite to have a huge stack you get snapped back.

Probably going to skip the High Roller tomorrow.  I do my volunteering at a hospital on a Thursday night and I really don't like skipping it.  The MTT is extremely tempting but I'm just not playing well enough to justify it, plus I feel a ton of guilt when I do give it a miss.

So the month comes to an end and looking at my spreadsheet I can only chuckle.  Only in poker can I make more in a month playing than I have in any job I've ever had and still be fairly annoyed as I had a couple of bad sessions at the end.  It's just such a silly game.

It's been a good month, got through the reg infested rake race with a nice profit, had a couple of nice MTT results on the side too.  The plan for next month?  Probably the same again.  I will be pushing my 'tweaks' thread though.  With all of the grind I haven't looked at the thread for a few days.  Well it was half grind and half disappointment a thread designed to be so positive wasn't gaining that much traction.  I see from the forum it's back again and I'm going to try to push it so I apologise now if you see it too much near the top of the page.

Run good people.
  • edited November 2012
    Well that was emotional.  Pure bubbled the UKOPS 4 main in a rather nasty way.  No complaints, got a couple of slices of luck in the tourney but also had plenty going the other way.  Just one of those MTTs where every time you're favourite to have a huge stack you get snapped back. Probably going to skip the High Roller tomorrow.  I do my volunteering at a hospital on a Thursday night and I really don't like skipping it.  The MTT is extremely tempting but I'm just not playing well enough to justify it, plus I feel a ton of guilt when I do give it a miss. So the month comes to an end and looking at my spreadsheet I can only chuckle.  Only in poker can I make more in a month playing than I have in any job I've ever had and still be fairly annoyed as I had a couple of bad sessions at the end.  It's just such a silly game. It's been a good month, got through the reg infested rake race with a nice profit, had a couple of nice MTT results on the side too.  The plan for next month?  Probably the same again.  I will be pushing my 'tweaks' thread though.  With all of the grind I haven't looked at the thread for a few days.  Well it was half grind and half disappointment a thread designed to be so positive wasn't gaining that much traction.  I see from the forum it's back again and I'm going to try to push it so I apologise now if you see it too much near the top of the page. Run good people.
    Posted by TommyD
    Hi Tommy/Mr Dyer.

Would you ever consider playing poker fulltime?

GL
  • edited November 2012
    Wow....now there is a question Tommy
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Hi Tommy/Mr Dyer. Would you ever consider playing poker fulltime? GL
    Posted by DEL560
    I need more going on in my life than just poker.  The plus side of playing more lately is I can choose the things I want to do rather than working in an office inputting parking tickets to make a wage (an actual job I did in my early 20s).
  • edited November 2012
    Early 20s....wow going back quite a bit in time!
  • edited November 2012

.....the parking tickets were for horses & carts
  • edited November 2012
    Nothing worse than double parking a shire horse in a busy hamlet.  The fine was five groats and a piglet IIRC.
  • edited November 2012
    please help me, am i looking at this game all wrong?

the latest hand i am beat with, i raise AQh

re-raised i flat

flop Qs 8h 2h

i check, he bets, i shove , he snaps 77 no heart

of course i lose, turn 7, but how does he call ???

maybe i am the only person to fold 77 there?

• edited November 2012
    please help me, am i looking at this game all wrong? the latest hand i am beat with, i raise AQh re-raised i flat flop Qs 8h 2h i check, he bets, i shove , he snaps 77 no heart of course i lose, turn 7, but how does he call ??? maybe i am the only person to fold 77 there?
    Posted by FORDAKIDZ
    Hey Fordakidz.  Yes I think you are looking at the game wrong:

1)  The maths of expectation and hope.

Look at it this way.  Take another situation where we see the cards flipped up and we see we are miles behind, for instance we have Kings and out opponent has aces.  Now at this point we expect to mostly lose but expect to sometimes win and hope it's this time.  Flip reverse and we have the aces, our psychology is such that we expect to win.  End of.  As rational as we can be in the cold hard analysis of the information after the fact or in hypotheticals such as this, in game we cannot help but to expect to win.  Every single time.  Why?  Because we are ahead, so surely we should stay ahead.  Yet when we are behind we expect to sometimes win.  We hope it's this time, every time.  Now the expectation to hold 100% of the time cannot mathematically live in the same universe as the world where we have expectation to sometimes win, we are not mathematically special that this can happen to us and no one else.

It's not easy, hardwiring your brain for the expectation of losing even though we have done everything right in a hand.  It something every player, including myself, struggles with.  I recently bought a book called 'The Mental Game of Poker' by Tendler and Carter.  Now I admit it's presently gathering dust on my bookcase after only the first half chapter being read, but I have read exerts of it elsewhere and it comes highly recommended by a lot of other people.  It might be worth a little look for you.

2)  This hand

Putting myself in the mind of your opponent in this hand, it's clear very early on in the action he has put you on a range with lots of big aces in it, hence his calling your 3bet with a middle pair.  Now people in general don't like to fold a pair, and now on the flop he might be creating two reasons to think he's ahead as he sees it.  You've jammed on a two heart board (he must have a flush draw, 7s are ahead) to go along with 'I thought he might have AK, AJ pre, he's trying to bluff be off with his jam, my 7s are ahead).  That could be how he has found the call.

You're correct, a lot of people fold sevens there.  A lot of people call with sevens there.  Neither action is correct 100% or wrong 100% of the time.  There are so many other factors to consider (how aggressive you've been playing, how aggressive he's been playing etc) to help us find which is the correct play in each individual scenario.

3)  You want this call.  Sometimes (around 7 in a hundred) you will lose.  Even though you expect to win sometimes you will lose.  However the probability of you winning is much greater.  You want that call, do not see it as a bad thing.

I hope this helps
  • edited November 2012
    Ok, time for UKOPS 3.  Double stacks, yay!  Plenty of room for donk maneuver, yay!  Music cued up (tonight we have Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails, Mansun, Marilyn Manson, Pulp - maximum tunage).  Let's get donking shall we?
    Posted by TommyD
    Just caught up with the thread and a great read as always, have had internet connection issues or lack of.! Great tunage! and with obviously such a great music ear, i would hope and/or recomend The Stone Temple Pilots are also on your ipod or (in my case) CD(remember those?).Good tunes and good luck.
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Hey Fordakidz.  Yes I think you are looking at the game wrong: 1)  The maths of expectation and hope. Look at it this way.  Take another situation where we see the cards flipped up and we see we are miles behind, for instance we have Kings and out opponent has aces.  Now at this point we  expect to mostly lose but expect to sometimes win and hope it's this time.  Flip reverse and we have the aces, our psychology is such that we expect to win.  End of.  As rational as we can be in the cold hard analysis of the information after the fact or in hypotheticals such as this, in game we cannot help but to expect to win.  Every single time.  Why?  Because we are ahead, so surely we should stay ahead.  Yet when we are behind we expect to sometimes win.  We hope it's this time, every time.  Now the expectation to hold 100% of the time cannot mathematically live in the same universe as the world where we have expectation to sometimes win, we are not mathematically special that this can happen to us and no one else. It's not easy, hardwiring your brain for the expectation of losing even though we have done everything right in a hand.  It something every player, including myself, struggles with.  I recently bought a book called 'The Mental Game of Poker' by Tendler and Carter.  Now I admit it's presently gathering dust on my bookcase after only the first half chapter being read, but I have read exerts of it elsewhere and it comes highly recommended by a lot of other people.  It might be worth a little look for you. 2)  This hand Putting myself in the mind of your opponent in this hand, it's clear very early on in the action he has put you on a range with lots of big aces in it, hence his calling your 3bet with a middle pair.  Now people in general don't like to fold a pair, and now on the flop he might be creating two reasons to think he's ahead as he sees it.  You've jammed on a two heart board (he must have a flush draw, 7s are ahead) to go along with 'I thought he might have AK, AJ pre, he's trying to bluff be off with his jam, my 7s are ahead).  That could be how he has found the call. You're correct, a lot of people fold sevens there.  A lot of people call with sevens there.  Neither action is correct 100% or wrong 100% of the time.  There are so many other factors to consider (how aggressive you've been playing, how aggressive he's been playing etc) to help us find which is the correct play in each individual scenario. 3)  You want this call.  Sometimes (around 7 in a hundred) you will lose.  Even though you expect to win sometimes you will lose.  However the probability of you winning is much greater.  You want that call, do not see it as a bad thing. I hope this helps
    Posted by TommyD

Have you considered going into teaching? I think you would be good at it.
  • edited November 2012
    I like the "expectation v hope" thoughts.   Too late to give a balanced reply/analysis tonite BUT can't help thinking that when I read your excellent reply you had too many expects and too few hopes for MY liking? e.g. Expects won 5-2 I think? 
    I know it's a VERY fine line & I suppose it depends if one is a glass half empty/full person BUT I've always found it's WAYY much better to hope than expect.  Hope, more often than not, brings happiness.  Expectation, more often than not, brings unhappiness. I'm rambling now............
  • edited November 2012
    I like the "expectation v hope" thoughts.   Too late to give a balanced reply/analysis tonite BUT can't help thinking that when I read your excellent reply you had too many expects and too few hopes for MY liking? e.g. Expects won 5-2 I think?  I know it's a VERY fine line & I suppose it depends if one is a glass half empty/full person BUT I've always found it's WAYY much better to hope than expect.  Hope, more often than not, brings happiness.  Expectation, more often than not, brings unhappiness. I'm rambling now............
    Posted by Glenelg
    Taking this into a turn for philosophy Pad.  Before going on to hope the reason why there were more expects than hopes is for half the time in my example we are ahead.  Our reaction isn't to hope to hold, it's to expect to hold (I'm talking subconscious expectation which affects our tilt, no the very vocal way some people shout one time or 'I never hold here').

Outside poker, hope is a beautiful thing.  When it comes to half full/half empty I'm very much half full.  The GF's response to is the glass half full or half empty is 'what glass'  I will say one thing though, I love the John Cleese line 'I don't might the despair, it's the hope I can't cope with.'  And now we're back to expectation.