You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.

Comments

• edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.:
    Cheers for the rub down Tommy! gg me....6th!
    Posted by MattBates
    You were in when I posted.  Just.

To prevent further rub downs I suggest you don't check the results, some donk won it.
  • edited November 2012
    Is standard Tommy...You only post on the diary when you take down big sky comps!
  • edited November 2012
    Ok, got the diary fever back.  December starts tomorrow (I'm really good with reading calendars).  So from tomorrow and through December I will diary about:

'The Quest For The Polo-Mint Star Repeat!!!!!'

Gonna be epic.
  • edited November 2012
    Hey Tommy, nice bink, and great sportsmanship on not blinding out a disconnected player, I always try to be as honest as possible and I don't think I could do that unless I was mates with the opponent.

You gonna be at Luton in December? If you are, I hope you'll whack a fiver in the last longer I've got going.
  • edited December 2012
    From the lack of updates I can only surmise that Tommy hasn't won a main event in over 2 weeks. I hope this nasty downswing will soon be over.

#youonlypostwhenyou'rewinning

;)
  • edited December 2012
    From the lack of updates I can only surmise that Tommy hasn't won a main event in over 2 weeks. I hope this nasty downswing will soon be over. #youonlypostwhenyou'rewinning ;)
    Posted by Giant811
    Currently 1 of 20 in the Roller so there may be a chance of further updates.

In seriousness I've taken some time away from posting on any social media really, hardly touched my Twitter (@tommydyer, spam for the win), not done much on FB or any forum.  Needed a break from them for a bit.

But I'm slowly getting the diary bug back, I noticed this when a couple of things happened and I thought 'That would be good in the diary.'  So let me see if I can bink this Roller and then I will of course get posting ;)
  • edited December 2012
    Nice seeing you and playing with you at Luton Tommy. Hope you had a safe trip back home.

I have to admit that you completely owned me in the cash table. Thank God I managed to get lucky against everyone else. 

Only problem was why didn't I get lucky against you? I have to investigate that. Something must have gone wrong with my "run good" switch when I played a pot with you.

• edited December 2012
    STANDARD...Diary post = I am about to win another big comp on sky!

What a life!
  • edited December 2012
    Nice seeing you and playing with you at Luton Tommy. Hope you had a safe trip back home. I have to admit that you completely owned me in the cash table. Thank God I managed to get lucky against everyone else.  Only problem was why didn't I get lucky against you? I have to investigate that. Something must have gone wrong with my "run good" switch when I played a pot with you.
    Posted by GreekWay
    Very nice to see and play with you too mate.  Yeah I'd get that run good switch looked at if I was you, you need to install the live feature.  Can't install through Chrome though, or so I've been told ;)

The Round of Each table was a great laugh.  I managed to do well in the PLO section and have a couple of nasty spots in the NHLE rounds.  It was the best live poker session in terms of enjoyment I've had in a while though.  Expect for the fellow on my right.  Now I don't know if they are a Sky Reg or a Luton Reg, but if you read this please do post here.  Now I know you didn't like Hold em.  I understood this after around half an orbit.  There was no need to continue to tell me this for the next three or so hours.  Every hand.  I wasn't about to forget.  Still seemed like a nice bloke though.

There were a few memorable hands, the most being an early PLO one.  I have a decent middle board starting hand, 9865 D/S and the button.  We get the 6 way limped pot and a 995 board.  Checked to me, I pot.  Of course Tikay has to min raise.  It was at this point we both abandoned poker and just had fun.  I think we got up to an 8bet before we decided to get it in.  We both knew it was a current chop around the 3 or 4 bet.  Luckily no one hit an extension and good fun was had by all.  Great banter at the table and with how he was running getting a chop off of Tikay was a touch.

Look out for the Luton highlights.  If it's made the edit you'll see a great spot of me looking like an silly sausage in a hand.  Not going to spoil it but Rich asked for them to do a sweat hand with me.  And I was on the button as well.  Carnage ensued.

Can't wait for the next SPT, was great to catch up with old friends like Maxy, Greg, OldBoy and many many others as well as new lovely people; don't be offended if I haven't name checked you, I like everyone and I didn't see anyone not on form.  Well there was Phil's missus on the Saturday, or more accurately on the day after Friday night.  She may have used up all of her 'form' the evening before ;)
  • edited December 2012
    STANDARD...Diary post = I am about to win another big comp on sky! What a life!
    Posted by MattBates
    I gotta post more.  Cheers for the rail dude.
  • edited December 2012
    Life news, and 2012 is drawing to a close.  Darn it if time doesn't seem to be running quicker.  We'll of course be shown about a bazillion lists and best of '12 lists in the coming weeks.  But here's an award you won't see given out.  What was the best advert of 2012?  Yes it's the question that no one's been asking but I really think there have been two great ones this year.  One make's me proud and pumped up, the other makes me cry (seriously).  But which is better?

John Lewis at Christmas 

Paralympics on Channel 4

Yes yes, this might be the saddest post I've ever put here, rating adverts highly.  I would say this though, these were free to watch.  Adam Sandler movies in 2012 cost good money to see, and not everyone made it to the end of Jack and Jill.  Now which would you rather see again?
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Very nice to see and play with you too mate.  Yeah I'd get that run good switch looked at if I was you, you need to install the live feature.  Can't install through Chrome though, or so I've been told ;) The Round of Each table was a great laugh.  I managed to do well in the PLO section and have a couple of nasty spots in the NHLE rounds.  It was the best live poker session in terms of enjoyment I've had in a while though.  Expect for the fellow on my right.  Now I don't know if they are a Sky Reg or a Luton Reg, but if you read this please do post here.  Now I know you didn't like Hold em.  I understood this after around half an orbit.  There was no need to continue to tell me this for the next three or so hours.  Every hand.  I wasn't about to forget.  Still seemed like a nice bloke though. There were a few memorable hands, the most being an early PLO one.  I have a decent middle board starting hand, 9865 D/S and the button.  We get the 6 way limped pot and a 995 board.  Checked to me, I pot.  Of course Tikay has to min raise.  It was at this point we both abandoned poker and just had fun.  I think we got up to an 8bet before we decided to get it in.  We both knew it was a current chop around the 3 or 4 bet.  Luckily no one hit an extension and good fun was had by all.  Great banter at the table and with how he was running getting a chop off of Tikay was a touch. Look out for the Luton highlights.  If it's made the edit you'll see a great spot of me looking like an silly sausage in a hand.  Not going to spoil it but Rich asked for them to do a sweat hand with me.  And I was on the button as well.  Carnage ensued. Can't wait for the next SPT, was great to catch up with old friends like Maxy, Greg, OldBoy and many many others as well as new lovely people; don't be offended if I haven't name checked you, I like everyone and I didn't see anyone not on form.  Well there was Phil's missus on the Saturday, or more accurately on the day after Friday night.  She may have used up all of her 'form' the evening before ;)

Think she announced herself to u lot! Surprisingly she had no alcohol on the Saturday............

• edited December 2012
    All the dairies are from low stakes people, which is why i said that, should be a seperate section, ocming in here and seeing 10 dairies about how they folding kings in their 1pound dyms only to end up crashing out is bloody grim
    Posted by CrazyBen23
    cant stop laughing at this, ur rite lyk but a bit harsh!!!
  • edited December 2012
    So that was Christmas!  I hope everyone had an enjoyable and happy time over the last few days and are chock full of the festive cheer.  Or cake.  I'm the later.

My Christmas was a busy one.  The days before Christmas were spent in the North East seeing the GF's family.  Night one was spent in Durham.  We got there about 8pm or so after the long drive.  The entire city was drunk.  For those that don't know Durham is a version of Newcastle which gives the facade of poshness and culture but the first chance it gets it's in the Rose and Crown doing three Aftershocks for the price of one.  I saw one fellow stumbling along with a few mates display the talent of vomiting while walking, the dude didn't break stride, get any on his shoes or forget the part of the sentence he was in the middle of when the chunder fairy hit.  He got good distance too.

Anyways we all had a lovely time in Durham and Newcastle.  We took the young un's of the family ice skating.  I say we, I did one lap holding onto the boards and then hid at the sidelines with a cup of tea.  The GF's mother gave me a peculiar gift though.  It was 'The World's Sharpest Knife.'  I have no idea how to process that as a gift.

Pokerwise December has been a frustrating month, swinging up and down on a daily basis.  I'm hoping to pull it together by month's end.  A UKOPS bink would help but as I played lat night with all the use of an overcoat for a Geordie under the age of 30 I'm not holding my breath.

We'll see how it goes, gearing myself for a massive grind next month.  The diets come into force, resolutions are made to be broken and I do my Poker MOT.  Need it, playing shocking at the moment.

I wish you all a very merry Twixmas and in the words of the internet sensation of 2012 - PEACE!
  • edited December 2012
    WOW, this thread is still going ;) 

Any big plans for 2013? 

Have you considered playing any major live tournaments apart from SPT's?

Vegas again in the Summer? 

Favourite memory of 2012 (doesn't have to be poker related)? 

How happy are you in life at the moment on a scale of 1 - 10 (10 being happiest)? 

• edited December 2012
    WOW, this thread is still going ;)  Any big plans for 2013?  Have you considered playing any major live tournaments apart from SPT's? Vegas again in the Summer?  Favourite memory of 2012 (doesn't have to be poker related)?  How happy are you in life at the moment on a scale of 1 - 10 (10 being happiest)? 
    Posted by dylan12
    DYLAN!!!  Where ya been hiding fella?

1)  Plans for 2013?  To not move house.  Also got half a chance at a little job opportunity/project.  Can't go into too much detail just now but it's something I really would like to work out, will fill everyone in if and when it comes together.

2)  Yes I'm going to try to get to some of the monthly biggies at DTD.  Also going to keep an eye on The Vic and Aspers for some events.  I need to get out and about more instead of just staring at the screen.  Also hoping to sort out Vegas again for the WSOP one way or another.

3)  2012 has been an up and down year to say the least.  Christmas day is probably my favourite memory.  I was able to wake up and enjoy Christmas morning with the GF in our new place which at one point was touch and go if we were going to get.  Then spent most of the day with my family who were all in fine form.  Just one of those days where everyone was all smiles and I could sit back quietly and think 'this isn't bad at all.'  Second favorite is still that old lady running over Wayne's foot with her wheelchair.

4)  I'm around an 8 right now.  Which is pretty good.
  • edited December 2012
    Been busy mate with work and all that shizzle! 

Kept an eye out now and again to see how you were doing in the tournaments when I get a chance but more often or not you have exited them :) 

The job opportunity / project sounds good,hope it all works out for you. I am on the look out myself at the moment, need a new challenge but first I need some inspiration to know what that challenge should be! 

Will keep an eye out for you tonight if your playing mate! 

I am looking to do a bit more travelling myself this year to DTD so keep in touch and I will try and go up when yourself, Scotty, Jakally, yoyo, Grumps et al are up there. 

I was odds on for going to Vegas again in the Summer and grinding the Deepstacks but my mate has his stag in early July so not sure I can get out of that one with me being an Usher and all that - obviously he isn't a poker player, jeez how inconsiderate ;) hehe 
  • edited December 2012
    Is standard Tommy...You only post on the diary when you take down big sky comps!
    Posted by MattBates
    So...we had some posts in the diary earlier.......
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : So...we had some posts in the diary earlier.......
    Posted by MattBates
    I'm starting to believe you Matt.  Or maybe when I get all the random babble spinning around in my head out there's room for the luck to come in.  I sense more posting coming on....
  • edited December 2012
    So today has brought some good news and some bad news for me.

First up the bad news.  I got FIFA 13 for Christmas.  Now this would normally be a good thing, a very good thing.  Now I haven't played a FIFA game since FIFA 98.  I switched to Pro Evo because everyone told me Pro was better, and it was.  But by all accounts FIFA has taken over the mantle in recent years and despite me not even touching Pro for a few years I booted up FIFA 13 with all the glee of a cowboy at a rodeo.  However I was quick to learn something horrifying.  I suck.  I really suck.  Not just in the actual matches but I found it hard enough to navigate the blooming menu.  It took me about ten minutes to find the training mode.  Sigh.  I always feared the day when I would stare at a computer screen weakly manipulating the controls with all the grace and finease of a drunk camel.  It looks like that day it finally here.  I currently sport a 0-0-5 record online.  If I ever manage a gosh darn draw you're going to hear about it.  Sigh, I guess there's always Ludo.

The good news.  Took down the Christmas UKOPS 2 Main for a pleasing amount of pounds.  Had a nightmare final table line up but card racked it up to get over the line.  I think I made a few mistakes in the tournament and I'm gutted how I went out the mini when I really should have thought it through (I was something like 3 of 80 when I effectively busted).  However blind luck and the odd trick from an old dog got me through.  A quick shout out to Nagrom who finished second, he was a complete pain in the backside (in that really good at poker way) from about 40 runners up to and including HU.  IMO he played the best tournament of everyone there, myself included.

So something else for the Sky+ tomorrow.  TV Tarting, the hardway.

Many thanks to everyone who railed, it really does give me a lift to see so many people there and I think that alone has gotten me over the line in plenty of the events I have been fortunate to win.  Sometimes you can just ride on that wave of good feeling.  I can't explain it, it just seems to work.

Maybe I do have half of a chance ot retain that polomint star now ;)
  • edited December 2012

MBN to be TommyD :)

Great result mate....wp.
  • edited December 2012
    Very well played mate
  • edited December 2012
    Congrats mate, was brilliant to rail you to the win! 
  • edited December 2012
    well done mate!
  • edited December 2012
    Thanks very much guys.  I was buzzing so much I didn't drop off until 5am so I'm a little fuzzy right now.

Special thanks to Dylan and MattBates, they were railing from silly early and made it all of the way, cheers guys.

So I've just checked the Scope board, I'm currently in Polo Position.  I really shouldn't get that bothered by Scope and normally I'm not but I've got to admit, I am bothered this time.  Anyone from about a dozen or so can top that board by winning the main on Sunday so it's still a ways to go, but the idea of topping the board two in a row is really on my mind.
  • edited December 2012
    Well done Tommy! Amazing score yet again!

Now, let's hope Spurs can keep up the run good for you and put in a performance at a tough place. I think we can win tho if we play anything like we did against Villa...
  • edited December 2012
    Congrats on taking it down Tommy.

Had to leave the rail when it was down to four. Will catch the highlights this evening.

• edited December 2012
    Thanks very much guys.  I was buzzing so much I didn't drop off until 5am so I'm a little fuzzy right now. Special thanks to Dylan and MattBates, they were railing from silly early and made it all of the way, cheers guys. So I've just checked the Scope board, I'm currently in Polo Position.  I really shouldn't get that bothered by Scope and normally I'm not but I've got to admit, I am bothered this time.  Anyone from about a dozen or so can top that board by winning the main on Sunday so it's still a ways to go, but the idea of topping the board two in a row is really on my mind.
    Posted by TommyD
    So Tommy...I have just had a look and it appears as though you are no. 1 scheduled by network for 2012. You were also no. 1 for 2011 and they say Julian runs good!

Right...I am going to take your title in 2013....I think my method will be insane volume as opposed to your make a diary post and then bink a big win!

Seriously congrats mate is a great achievement.

Matt
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : So Tommy...I have just had a look and it appears as though you are no. 1 scheduled by network for 2012. You were also no. 1 for 2011 and they say Julian runs good! Right...I am going to take your title in 2013....I think my method will be insane volume as opposed to your make a diary post and then bink a big win! Seriously congrats mate is a great achievement. Matt
    Posted by MattBates
    Cheers mate.  I'm not calling it a win until the year's in the books but it looks over the line right now.  I only got bothered about this in December when I realised it was doable.  Some very good players on those lists and I'm just happy to be turning over a decent profit, I remember the years when I couldn't get close to a 8pm main win, it was such a monkey on my back for so long.

So how to start off the new year then eh?  Well after repeating the critical error of telling the GF about a UKOPS win I returned from getting the morning paper to see her measuring up the hall.  Apparently 'we need it decorating.'  Need.  We.  Sigh.  I offered a counter proposal, telling her about something I felt I needed her to do at that time and after a night sleeping on the couch I've decided to decorate the hall.

So I'm gonna grind the hall money out.  There's a priority rake race over the next two months (a rake race?!?! wow it's been so long since the last one, literally weeks ;) ).  The deal is 50k points in Jan, help yourself to a bag of sand.  Another 50k points in Feb, add another 1.5k.  So here it is diary people.  100k points, 2 months, updated regularly here (I'm going to try to be daily but lets face it, I probably won't be able to stick to that), point count and profit/loss numbers.  I very rarely do the last part but I'm throwing it out there so any one interested can see the true grind and head twisting nature of a mega volume month.

So thank you 2012, I have experienced some massive highs and lows, you have never been boring.

And here's to 2013, let's hope I'm not totally socially inept by March 1st.