You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.

Comments

• edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.:
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : hi Tommy, i'm glad it's going ok yes multi-tabling is an art in itself,i think.i've been messing about experimenting with it for the last 6 months or so,i guess. the most i did ever have running was 24...aaaagh and a nightmare at the time. lol obviously i'm nowehere near your levels and i guess i can afford to try things out,but i guess all mistakes and any losses i've had whilst doing this are all relative to our b/rolls. my only conclusions are this; more is better than less too many is worse than too few 10 is more than 9 9 now seems easy 12-15 has becomes my most favourite closely followed by 15-18 18-21 is doo-able but not advisable 24-30 forget it.... unless you're called beaney lol oh,and a second monitor is essential. gl :) dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    Tommy is a qualified maths teacher... I am sure he already knows this. But thanks for clarifiying this for the rest of us :)

• edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Tommy is a qualified maths teacher... I am sure he already knows this. But thanks for clarifiying this for the rest of us :)
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    just my little joke hoggers...
    i knew that was coming  lol
    :)
    dev
  • edited January 2013
    god stupid moron logging me out site

cliffs.

what is the limiter for you tommy, your head or your puter re 8+ tabling?

coaching is so much more valueable than just grinding imo.
  • edited January 2013
    No second monitor yet.  If I make the double 50k I'm intending to use the left over from the Hall Decorating Fund to buy a small side monitor, not planning to use it for tables but for lobbies, Twitter, Forum etc.  Posted by TommyD
    Tommy, Tommy, Tommy

it´s all about leverage

"honey, I will get his decorating done for you - for sure. and if I get a cheap second monitor - right here - right now - I´ll even be able to use gold leaf for the decoration. OK love.........."
  • edited January 2013
    Morning Tommy, loving the updates, especially the fact you are quite happy to post both good and bad days. Top stuff that, and very rare! I think the number of tables you play is slightly less important (on Cash) than it was last year, due to weighted contribution. I was up to 13 at times last Jan, (which was horrible for me), but am sticking to 8 - 9 this time round. I think any more than that, I'm going to have to play tighter, and lose out on points per table anyway. Good luck for the rest of the month mate.
    Posted by jakally
    Thanks very much Neil.  My ego isn't too bad so I don't mind putting up the losers as well as the winners.  Obviously harder and less pleasant but as I'm not exactly the most consistent winner (on a daily basis) anything else would just look and feel bogus.

Good point re Weighted Contribution, yes it does mean the looser players in theory won't need to play as many tables as they did before the change to maintain that level of points.  I've found the need to adjust my game a little due to the change, I've gone tighter rather than looser which is something I didn't expect.  Maybe what ego I had thought 'the nits are going to have to play my game now' and in my arrogance I thought it was going to be easier for me.  I forgot that any adjustment made by opponents, any at all really, requires me to adjust.  Some of the tighter players from before have come out all guns blazing and are doing better than they did when they were much tighter.  Obviously others are finding it more of a struggle.  I sort of dropped the ball by not preempting this and have been playing catch up since.

Happy grinding Sir!
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : hi Tommy, i'm glad it's going ok yes multi-tabling is an art in itself,i think.i've been messing about experimenting with it for the last 6 months or so,i guess. the most i did ever have running was 24...aaaagh and a nightmare at the time. lol obviously i'm nowehere near your levels and i guess i can afford to try things out,but i guess all mistakes and any losses i've had whilst doing this are all relative to our b/rolls. my only conclusions are this; more is better than less too many is worse than too few 10 is more than 9 9 now seems easy 12-15 has becomes my most favourite closely followed by 15-18 18-21 is doo-able but not advisable 24-30 forget it.... unless you're called beaney lol oh,and a second monitor is essential. gl :) dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    Finding our optimal level when it comes to playing style versus number of tables is something which transcends bankrolls and stakes, IMO it's a matter any semi serious grinder should think carefully about and constantly work at/reassess and go on again.

24 tables?  Yucky.  I'm guessing this was DYMs?  I can see me being able to do that for full ring DYMs but 6 max ones would be far too tough, you get to the bubble quicker and stay there for longer IMO.

Will get the second monitor and as I said before, I'm adding tables slowly, piece by piece.  What's the rush?
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to IDIOT FORUM SOFTWARE, MADE BY IDIOTS. IDIOTS. HAVE I SAID IDIOTS ENOUGH:
    god stupid moron logging me out site cliffs. what is the limiter for you tommy, your head or your puter re 8+ tabling? coaching is so much more valueable than just grinding imo.
    Posted by beaneh
    The limiter is me noggin.  I use a high end (at least it was eight months ago) gaming PC which can eat up as many tables as I can throw at it.  Also while I am on Wi Fi I went out and got a next gen router which broadcasts the broadband about ten times better than the Sky Broadband hub.  Sadly Sky Broadband don't like you not using their hub so the Modem I also got lies dusting in the garage before making it's adventure onto ebay (unless I switch providers very soon).  I could hack the protocols and access ports needed but apparently you snap break the T & Cs everyone reads which they click 'ok' and I just don't want to risk suddenly having by Broadband cut off.  So right now the Hub (still the old one, I must order one of those cubey new ones) is ethernetted into the router which pumps to the PC.

Back to my head and its issues, at the moment when I hit 11+ tables I stop playing poker.  It's no secret I'm much more of a flop and streets player in cash (my excuse for a certain amount of passive preflop play I guess).  As soon as I turn it up to eleven then I'm clicking buttons.  So the plan is to add one at a time, get to a level where I am as comfortable as I was before I added another, then go one more.  And if I reach a point where I never get comfortable with a number, I drop one off and stay at one level forever more, well maybe not forever, just until I try again.  I rely a lot on past experience with a player, general experience re:  ranges/hand history, psychology and, I really hate this term, feel.  When I play too many I'm not gathering any information for the future.  When I play too many I start guessing and I'm no longer playing poker, I'm just clicking buttons.

I agree re:  coaching as it stands now.  I don't think that was always the case but people who think about the game and can actually coach it have got a ton better in the last decade.  Before that all most people could teach you were the hand rankings, where to buy Super System and say 'go with your gut.'
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Tommy, Tommy, Tommy it´s all about leverage "honey, I will get his decorating done for you - for sure. and if I get a cheap second monitor - right here - right now - I´ll even be able to use gold leaf for the decoration. OK love.........."
    Posted by GELDY
    You've met women before right?

Never gonna work....

;)
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : You've met women before right? Never gonna work.... ;)
    Posted by TommyD
    married for 20+ years - and confident that one of these days it wil.........
  • edited January 2013
    Q.  When/at what stage in your poker career did you realise "Hey, I good be good at this poker lark!"  Just wondering if, after making a few adjustments to your game, you had an epiphany?
    Pad
  • edited January 2013
    Hi Tommy - continuing our table chat the other day. What does AVB bring to Tottenham that Harry didn't?

Also, be interested in ur thoughts / hand / play in this hand.  Haven't posted my hand here yet but found it played on my mind a bit after as it was a rare time that myself, you and Ben played against each other early on in a £55 DYM and it was either a case of big hands clashing and then avoiding each other due to it being early in the DYM or a bit of a levelling war against known players!

• edited January 2013
    Q.  When/at what stage in your poker career did you realise "Hey, I good be good at this poker lark!"  Just wondering if, after making a few adjustments to your game, you had an epiphany? Pad
    Posted by Glenelg
    There's never been a magic moment, just a gradual increase in confidence, knowledge and experience.  Improving on MTTs would be the closest thing I've experienced to what you are talking about, about two years ago I put in a heck of a lot of effort to improve in MTTs and when the I noticed me making completely different decisions than before and the results coming in, that was a bit of a 'ohhhh, rightttt, that explains it.' moment.
  • edited January 2013
    Hi Tommy - continuing our table chat the other day. What does AVB bring to Tottenham that Harry didn't? Also, be interested in ur thoughts / hand / play in this hand.  Haven't posted my hand here yet but found it played on my mind a bit after as it was a rare time that myself, you and Ben played against each other early on in a £55 DYM and it was either a case of big hands clashing and then avoiding each other due to it being early in the DYM or a bit of a levelling war against known players! 609438466
    Posted by phil12uk
    AVB brings a more modern way of thinking about football and IMO more hunger to wanting to do well.  I'm still against the sacking of Harry, jsut can't see any football reasons for it, but after he went I was glad AVB was put in place.  He's got a point to prove and I think the Spurs squad were a much better fit than the Chelsea one.

I've taken a look at that hand Phil.  Five handed, I got the double up in my stack and it's a DYM.  As much as people may think I'm Mr Crazy Level Bet, it's a DYM.  What sort of range do you think I have in that spot?  Did you fold Queens or something?
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    MITSUB Small blind  10.00 10.00 1940.00
    phil12uk Big blind  20.00 30.00 2040.00
     Your hole cards
    • A
    • A

TommyD Raise  60.00 90.00 3900.00
    nin777 Fold     
    Nutter5932 Raise  140.00 230.00 1920.00
    MITSUB Fold     
    phil12uk Call  120.00 350.00 1920.00
    TommyD Raise  360.00 710.00 3540.00
    Nutter5932 Fold     
    phil12uk Fold     
    TommyD Muck     
    TommyD Win  430.00  3970.00
    TommyD Return  280.00
  • edited January 2013
    Even you get credit for a hand sometimes :P

As played, had to fold in a DYM
    MITSUB Small blind  10.00 10.00 1940.00
    phil12uk Big blind  20.00 30.00 2040.00
     Your hole cards
    • Q
    • Q

TommyD Raise  60.00 90.00 3900.00
    nin777 Fold     
    Nutter5932 Raise  140.00 230.00 1920.00
    MITSUB Fold     
    phil12uk Call  120.00 350.00 1920.00
    TommyD Raise  360.00 710.00 3540.00
    Nutter5932 Fold     
    phil12uk Fold     
    TommyD Muck     
    TommyD Win  430.00  3970.00
    TommyD Return  280.00 0.00 4250.00
  • edited January 2013

Get a room you two! :)
  • edited January 2013
    haha Maxy :)

Don't know why you're giving that hand a second thought Phil, looks pretty standard to me.  Yes in cash or a MTT there is a bluff range I have in that spot.  However despite having a recent awful record in DYMs I at least get the early stages right most of the time.  I hated the spot because I had to turn my hand face up but I really don't see what other choice I have.  Taking it three way really doesn't thrill me, I think I have to 4bet and hope either of you make a mistake, or take down an uncontested pot which is never a bad thing.

Like I said before, it's a DYM, and in a DYM I always tell myself 'Keep it simple, stupid.'
  • edited January 2013
    Update time

Dropped back somewhat yesterday.  Falling asleep in the middle of a hand didn't help matters.  The fact this was before 8pm really didn't help.  Exhausted from a long grind and Sunday League football I should have logged off a lot sooner than I did.  TBH I should have just taken the night off but I tried to power through and at least accumulate some points.  I didn't really achieve either and by the last session I was just spewing money away on nl300.

On the plus side I finally chucked in the towel relatively early and am now refreshed and ready for action.

P/L:  -£1,404.30
    C4P:  21,237

That darn comma is back, how I loathe it....
  • edited January 2013
    Been a few days and things have not been good.  Confidence in my own ability is pretty much non existent.  My game sucks.  Any form of the game isn't working, just losing money left right and centre.  When I lose a cash pot I lose a stack, when I win a cash pot I win like 4bb.  In the DYMs when we get to the bubble everyone just folds around until I have to shove, then I get looked up by Q8, K2, J8 etc.  Normally I'm actually ahead because I've tightened my shove range due to everyone having a wider call range v me than against the rest of world as it seems.  However, not holding.  Greg told me yesterday that you want them to have a wider call range.  I disagree, I don't want to be involved with the bubble hand, I just don't want to be called ever.  Whatever my odds, no matter how good they are, they are no where near as good as the two people not involved in the hand.  Sucky run of variance I guess, not playing great either though.

To make matters worse my points accumulation is through the floor.  In poker terms I feel completely broken right now.  Just come off a cooler cash session.  KK<AA INPF, 3bet QQ in the BB v two people, get an 8 high flop, one of the villains has middle set obv.  Vbet top pair, get called by bottom pair, 5 kick, turn trips it up.  Other hands where I'm just shooting myself in the foot.

Been a tough first half of the month.

P/L  -£3544.18
    C4P:  26726

On for a record losing month.  Fab.
  • edited January 2013
    If you have been playing bad tommy, im sure you can do something about it m8, take a day off or something and get your head in a positive mood again, you should not sit down and be doubting your game before playing a hand.

FWIW (not much i reckon) Yesterday was a bad day for me, no regs when i start the tables and fish everywhere £££ right! ..wrong.just could not win a dime, 4 x 100 bb in the middle,Aq vs A10, ak vs 95, ak vs qj, set over sets any other day i would be up 4 buy ins + more, i was so pis*sed i broke my mouse! silly me :), and realizing the mouse didnt work i went on TILT overload as i could not get my money back, played the egg-box had a quick jolly: THE END tilt over...so bought a new mouse today :(. Run good tommy.

• edited January 2013
    Haven't been paying attention but i'm sure it would help you to report things in terms of buyins rather than in terms of monetary amounts. That could be 10-15 bis of 100bb which is a negligible swing or you could be playing nl10 and doing your brains lol

Usual suggestion when things aren't going well is to take a break but as you're points grinding it's hard, you're welcome to pm me if you want to pay for some of my time. It wouldn't be cheap as you play in the same games I play but i'm sure i'd have you confident again in sub 3k lol
  • edited January 2013
    Keep those chins up Sir.

Have a beer while looking over hand history and look for a tweak or 2.

I'm sure you will get back to the Tommyluckboxd that we all know and love ;))

Good luck.

• edited January 2013
    Before I go on, this will look a bit like a 'only sing when you're winning' update.  There is a valid argument for this but here's the whole story.

Really played a dreadful cash poker Thursday night.  Some interesting pots, some coolers, lots of pay off too late/firing too many barrels on the wrong boards and a classic splash of tilt to 4 bet shove JTo into Aces.  Anyone railing would have seen a scene similar to the car chase scene in Blues Brothers.

I was touching 5k in the hole.  I slowly ground some back but was preparing for making this silly 50k points for a net loss after the C4P money & bonus.  I had a busy day today so I decided at first to give the MTTs a miss.  Eventually the GF got pretty tired, dropped off eary so I thought I'd late reg for Main, Mini and maybe play the 9pm.

Won the Main.  2nd in the 9pm (I lost a flip in the final hand.  Yes I know, that doesn't happen usually, but it was against Ryan so I think the Fates were screaming for mercy having to make one of us lose a 50/50.  Expect scheduled maintenance soon).

P/L:  -£1,989.75
    C4P:  31,155

Pretty confident of making the 50k points, feel like I'm going downhill now.  Learning a lot about myself from this grind.  Some bits I like, others I really don't.  Challenges and troubles forge you as a person as well as shine a light on who you are.  I'm seeing a ton of personal positives to come out of this process.  Also never been so happy to be down £2k on a month.

The plan for the rest of the month is to play some low variance stuff.  I'm sticking to nl100 and lower, just getting eaten up by some of the regs at nl200+ right now.  I have a decent record playing that high but I need my game about me, it's not at the moment.  Going to attempt to grind to B/E a day or two before the end of the month and spend that spare time before February going over the Hand Histories.  This month has given me plenty to look at.
  • edited January 2013
    Well done on the main event tonight Tommy and 2nd in the other 1.  With regards to the downswing i have been on a downswing myself this week of £750 on 50nl after being up £400 playing it from the week before.  Yes i have been running bad but main reason for the downswing this week playing 50nl is me playing bad myself and ive gone into clicking buttons mode like you mentioned you had gone into.  With regards to the tilt 4 and 5 bet shoves i have also done this on a few occasions.  When i think about the hand immediately after its played how did i think i was ever going to get that shove through the answer is simple it was never going to get through so it has to be a tilt shove.

When i am playing well decisions come a lot easier i find but when your on a downswing you stop thinking about the hands and go into auto pilot mode and make bad calls as you want to win the buyins back and thought process turns to yep the flush missed so i have to call here with 3rd pair because hes bluffing when hes never going to be bluffing lol.
  • edited January 2013
    ttommy you are a sicko with tournies, just stick with sng and mtts and you will have cracking month, and pllease tell me ur tourney secrets :(

nice results mate
  • edited January 2013
    Took some time off from the grind this morning due to adverse weather conditions.

The GF calls him 'Frosty'

I prefer to call her Georgina.
  • edited January 2013
    Been a few days so here's the latest.  Not much to report TBH, a bit further back since the last update but I've been bouncing between a rather narrow range so we seem to have him a sort of plateau.  I think I've addressed a few major concerns in my cash game and plugs some of the leaks in the last couple of days.  It seems to be much more solid than previously this month.  I'm also once again getting trolled in the chatbox by some old friends and getting PMs calling me various sweary things.  Now that's a sure fire way to know I must be playing better :)

P/L:  -£2,200.92
    C4P:  37119

Still very confident of hitting 50k by month's end.  I feel a heavy grind of a weekend coming on to polish off what ever is left by the time I get there.

In life news, because too much poker stuff is boring, Grant the cat has made a reappearance.  As you can see from the above photo we've had some cold weather here recently and I was getting a little worried about the little mite.  I still don't know if he's a stray but he hadn't turned up to keep us in his dinner rotation for a while.  I feared he had trouble in the snow.  That was until 4am this morning.  I was just finishing up a mega grind session when I heard some scratching at the backdoor.  I stupidly opened it and in shoots Grant for his first appearance in a couple of weeks.  Now I had a dilemma, you see I'm a little allergic to cats and should not feel responsible for him bearing in mind he's not my blooming cat.  On the other side he does a great impression of the cutest cat in the world every time I tried to build up the courage to put him outside, staring at me with those 'why would you send me out in the cold?' eyes.  So he slept in the office.  And because I didn't want him to rip things up I pulled an all nighter grinding PLO50 on Stars during the scheduled maintenance here.  Grant ended up making me some bucks.  Love that cat.  Note to self, must get a picture of him the next time he shows.
  • edited January 2013

Just thought I'd show my face so to speak. Great thread and I'm enjoying the read about your experience of the 50k points chase. Interesting that you played Omaha on Stars. May I ask your view of the game and how many tables you play of it? I'm starting to play more and more of the game myself and thoroughly enjoying it. 
  • edited January 2013
    I will get to all the questions above either tonight or tomorrow.  But right now I don't know about you, but I need some cat pictures.

This is Grant - The 'Stray or maybe owned by someone who doesn't use collars' Cat who pops around for dinner and has me under his/her thumb (no idea if it's a boy or a girl cat TBH).

• edited January 2013
    Tommy,

I misunderstood what these pictures were going to be of, I feel a little cheated to be honest!

Matt
  • edited January 2013
    Awww its soooooooooo cute