You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.

Comments

• edited December 2012
    FIFA 13 NEWS!!!!!!

FINALLY WON A GAME ONLINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Current record:

1-2-12

The only way is up.  Or maybe sideways.
  • edited December 2012
    Enjoy the decorating : )

• edited January 2013
    Ok, first report.

Being more balla than a limo full of hip hop stars, my crazy New Years Celebration was spent watching Sky News and FTing the 5k BHer.  Managed to finish 5th, really unhappy of my FT play in this one, I think I threw it away to be quite honest.  I gave a spin to a good player when there was no need to, and on my exit hand while I had massive equity (flopped FD and gutshot, plan was to check/jam 18BB) they really flagged up with their bet sizing that they had hit.  I had much reduced fold equity and I'm wondering if I could have found a better spot.  Anyways, that money goes on the December stats as far as I'm concerned despite the C4P dropping into January.

So onto matters at hand, the grind was started.  My first session was an unmitigated disaster.  I stupidly went straight into 12 tabling everything between nl400 and nl50.  I just couldn't keep pace or track of the hands.  I need to start a session with 6, have another 6 open and join them as and when I am feeling comfortable, and do this gradually.  I need to accept I am not some Elky like multi table guy and have to develop these skills.

So I dropped £700 playing poorly.  I took a break, watched a cat video on YouTube to let out the tilt and returned to 4 table NL200 to NL400.  On a couple of tables in particular I ran hotter than the sun.  Played much better than before as well.  I got unstuck, which always relaxes the shoulders.

P/L - +£663.16
    C4P - 880

It's a start.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.:
    I took a break, watched a cat video on YouTube to let out the tilt 
    Posted by TommyD
    Well written post Mr Dyer! The idea of £1300 swings at limits I'm playing at makes my head spin a little though! 

Also, I just want to wish you congratulations on superb tournament results throughout the year. WP. 
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Well written post Mr Dyer! The idea of £1300 swings at limits I'm playing at makes my head spin a little though!  Also, I just want to wish you congratulations on superb tournament results throughout the year. WP. 
    Posted by patwalshh
    Cheers Pat

If you're going to be multi tabling nl200, I suggest you get ready for those swings, they can be fairly common.  At least for me, other people might have a lovely low variance toodle along.
  • edited January 2013
    Had a shocker today.

YAYYYY!!!!!

Blew apart all the decent work from late last night/this morning.

YAYYYYY!!!!

Played far too fast, far too loose and far too bad.  The main problem for me right now seems to be identifying the level various villains are on versus me.  I'm getting far too many call downs, I'm not thinking deep enough.  Actually strike that, I'm not thinking wide enough, there are various levels of skill among those at each level between nl50 and nl300.  I need to do much better work to see where they are at.  Plenty of new players have turned up as of late and it's quite shocking not only how few notes I have made on them but when I go into the mental history bank, I get nothing.  That doesn't happen with the mid to long term regs, if I don't have notes I have a ton of history and style of play in the old memory banks which leap out at me.  I think I've gotten lazy, I think I've contracted 'button-click-itus.'  Got to sort that out post haste.

I'll give you an example of my too fast/unthinking play.  At nl200 I 3bet/5bet jammed with 98s over a cold 4bet just because their user name was a bit like a fairly well known one on other sites.  It boils down to if it was them, it's more than likely getting through.  If not it's a cold 4bet from a complete random which means 5bet shoving is carefully pouring gasoline over your wallet before clicking flint.  I don't think that level of guessing is good EV play.  (It did work though, this time, maybe it is him).

Silver lining, on course for the 50k C4P with the early pace.

P/L:  -£39.01
    C4P:  2304

Sort it out Tom.
  • edited January 2013
     I stupidly went straight into 12 tabling everything between nl400 and nl50.  I just couldn't keep pace or track of the hands.  I need to start a session with 6, have another 6 open and join them as and when I am feeling comfortable, and do this gradually.  I need to accept I am not some Elky like multi table guy and have to develop these skills. 
    Posted by TommyD
    Hi Tommy i find i can multitable 6 tables comfertably.  After i go above 6 tables im the same i lose track of the hands and dont play optimately going into auto pilot mode and in some ways just clicking buttons.  I suppose some it just comes naturally to some people better than others.  Was hoping i would be able to adapt gradually and play more tables but im not so sure as even a player like yourself finds it difficult.  I know people who play 18 to 24 tables at once but wheater they can play optimately doing this i just dont know.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Hi Tommy i find i can multitable 6 tables comfertably.  After i go above 6 tables im the same i lose track of the hands and dont play optimately going into auto pilot mode and in some ways just clicking buttons.  I suppose some it just comes naturally to some people better than others.  Was hoping i would be able to adapt gradually and play more tables but im not so sure as even a player like yourself finds it difficult.  I know people who play 18 to 24 tables at once but wheater they can play optimately doing this i just dont know.
    Posted by bearlyther
    I don't think I'm going about it the right way Bear.  I'm jumping table numbers too fast and haven't really put in the real effort to gradually grow the number.  Currently 8 seems to be the top end of my comfort zone.  Instead of just firing up 12 I need to do something like play half a session on 8 then introduce the 9th.  And not intend to start on the 10th until I am fully comfortable with 9 and accept this may take weeks/months.  It's something I need to work at not something which I have some right to be able to instantly take to.  At least I hope that's the case, maybe I've reached critical mass but I'm going to at least try this route.
  • edited January 2013
    Just looked at my 2012 stats.  My worst month was by far January, one of two losing months and the only one in four figures.  Bodes well for this month then :(
  • edited January 2013
    And the dislike for Januarys continues (apart from January Jones and anyone called Miss January).  Tried some DYMs today.  Small loss.  MTTs so far, small loss.  Cash so far, small loss.  It's only two days into the month so I'm not hitting the panic button and these swings are normal, but gosh darn it why does this happen as soon as I say I'm going to write the P/Ls here.

Made a few mistakes today, plugged a few leaks though.  Sadly many more to go.  Not betting thin enough for value and calling off too light.  The old problems.  Also in the cash session I had aces four times in the BB and got a walk.  Did not make me happy.

P/L:  -£834.52
    C4P:  4948

At this rate I'll be decorating the hall myself using brown paper bags.
  • edited January 2013

I think I know what your problem is Tommy.

It looks like every start of the year there is a delay in setting up that years run good buttons. I am sure the Sky Poker IT boffins are working 24/7 to correct this and you just need to be patient a little longer until the natural order of things are realigned.
  • edited January 2013
    I woke up this morning, started grind, managed to do another four or five hundred quid.  Two key pots led to that loss, one I should have gotten away from, the other when the chips went over the line I was a healthy 90% fave.  Then again I've managed to bink a massive pot this month when I was less that 3% so I'm not quite ready to bemoan my luck just yet.

Cash session two today, starting now 1.2k or so in the hole I decide to calm it down a bit.  This session is probably the best one I've played this month.  I managed to claw back £500 or so but more importantly I felt I was making reasoned decisions rather than clicking buttons.  I've decided to play a nine table set up for the rest of the month (a drop from the 12 I was playing for cash sessions previously).  I feel a lot more comfortable with the nine and plan to introduce lucky number ten next month if I feel I'm ready.  Very much woken up to the fact I'm not a crazy computer wizz.  It's all about slowly slowly catchy monkey for me.

Played a third cash sess in the afternoon, another winner but more down to running well than playing well, not completely happy with my play but it wasn't awful.

So as I left to go to Hospital Radio (if you don't know the story there, read up, it's there ...... somewhere ....) I was down 200 or so for the month.  Now I have a Thursday night leak.  I come back so full of adrenaline and so pumped up a ton of cash sessions I play after getting back from my show end in car crash like poker, huge pots, huge swings and more losers than winners by a clear margin.  So how was it going to go:

One hour session.  Played ok.  Ran super hot.  Flopped sets for fun.

P/L:  +£435.96
    C4P:  6290

Now don't get cocky kid.
  • edited January 2013
    Fabulous line you came out with on the rail by the way Tommy.
  • edited January 2013
    Fabulous line you came out with on the rail by the way Tommy.
    Posted by Jac35
    Cheers Jac.  I always prefer to take the line of at least attempting to be funny and/or clever rather than straight up confrontation.  That and say 'yo mama!'
  • edited January 2013
    Sigh, stuck £200 again now.  Went back for a session, got owned in one hand, owned myself in the other.  Gonna through them up so you can have a look.

Me getting owned:
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    rosiedog00 Small blind  £1.00 £1.00 £1029.92
    TommyD Big blind  £2.00 £3.00 £347.62
     Your hole cards

Bobage Fold     
    Raise  £6.00 £9.00 £485.25
    Fold     
    style2737 Fold     
    rosiedog00 Call  £5.00 £14.00 £1024.92
    TommyD Call  £4.00 £18.00 £343.62
    Flop

• J

rosiedog00 Check     
    TommyD Check     
    Bet  £10.00 £28.00 £475.25
    rosiedog00 Fold     
    TommyD Call  £10.00 £38.00 £333.62
    Turn

• K

TommyD Check     
    Bet  £21.00 £59.00 £454.25
    TommyD Raise  £60.00 £119.00 £273.62
    Call  £39.00 £158.00 £415.25
    River

TommyD Bet  £118.00 £276.00 £155.62
    1 Call  £118.00 £394.00 £297.25
    TommyD Show

1Show
    • A

Win Ace high £392.20
    Me getting either owned by myself or the deck owning me:
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    zing Small blind  £1.00 £1.00 £374.40
    TommyD Big blind  £2.00 £3.00 £380.12
     Your hole cards
    • K
    • K

Bobage Fold     
    Fold     
    Raise  £6.00 £9.00 £673.30
    style2737 Fold     
    zing Fold     
    TommyD Raise  £18.00 £27.00 £362.12
    Call  £14.00 £41.00 £659.30
    Flop

• Q

TommyD Bet  £30.00 £71.00 £332.12
    2Call  £30.00 £101.00 £629.30
    Turn

TommyD Bet  £54.00 £155.00 £278.12
    2Call  £54.00 £209.00 £575.30
    River

TommyD All-in  £278.12 £487.12 £0.00
    2Call  £278.12 £765.24 £297.18
    TommyD Show
    • K
    • K

2Show
    • J

2Win Flush to the Queen £763.44
    I welcome your thoughts on both hands.  I think hand 1 is a very good call from the villain.  This is our friend from the T9 5bet shove hand a page or so back.  I decide to take the classic Sky Player 'I have a small set line' to compliment my float with a gut shot and increased equity on the turn.  Probably a really bad idea.  Personally I think the call by the villain is a really good one.  Looking at the hand cold now I'm really not representing too much and am polarised between set (maybe KJ) and no showdown value at all.  Sets are hard to make.

Hand 2, just meh.  I think I'm getting tons of value from Qx hands on the river, don't like checking it when they're check behind so much.  Surprised they didn't jam over my turn bet TBH after the float with a gut shot, just picked up so much equity in the hand along with fold equity.
  • edited January 2013
    That was a sick call by me with the ace high tommy!
  • edited January 2013
    That was a sick call by me with the ace high tommy!
    Posted by bearlyther
    lol, you wish it was you Bear.  Then again against you, I always have it here.  Honest.
  • edited January 2013
    Hiya Tom Tom 

I sent you a PM, I do not expect a response because if I did then I would be waiting until 2014 ;) 
  • edited January 2013
    Hiya Tom Tom  I sent you a PM, I do not expect a response because if I did then I would be waiting until 2014 ;) 
    Posted by dylan12
    I got it mate, cheers :)

Will reply as soon as pos (I promise this year).
  • edited January 2013
    Brutal day.  Played awful, ran terrible, paid off too light and didn't Vbet the right spots.  Played a number of DYMs to grind the points, in ten of them the villain took a flip spot after I shoved, I lost every single one.  Funnily enough the one time my shove was into aces I binked, but that was a drop in an all engulfing ocean.  Having a nasty month now.  Going to try to avoid relegation on Fifa and grind later, confidence at the floor right now.

P/L:  -£1792.46
    C4P:  7653

Tomorrow starts Operation Get Back Even.
  • edited January 2013
    Good luck fella, I have been reading this regularly lately.  Look forward to seeing how going for 50K C4P works out. 

Btw belated grates on smashing 2012 on the shark leaderboards... pretty mean feat. 
  • edited January 2013
    Yesterday I had my worst day of poker ever.  Fab.  Today hasn't started much better, probably going to give it a rest until tonight now, got a gig at West Ham anyway.

Throwing this hand up for you.  Tell me your line and comment away.

Villain 1 looks ok from a limited history.  To my recollection I cannot remember them donking the flop ever before this.  Villain 2 is a reg, pretty much zero fold to 3bet pre and can call down pretty wide, will chase a draw to the death.  Ranges for players 1 and 2 please.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance1 Small blind  £1.00 £1.00 £713.22 style2737 Big blind  £2.00 £3.00 £1435.29  Your hole cards A A    2 Raise  £6.00 £9.00 £274.21 TommyD Raise  £20.00 £29.00 £741.92 jakally Fold     1 Call  £19.00 £48.00 £694.22 style2737 Fold     2 Call  £14.00 £62.00 £260.21 Flop  10 2 8    1 Bet  £31.00 £93.00 £663.22 2 Call  £31.00 £124.00 £229.21 TommyD Call  £31.00 £155.00 £710.92 Turn  5    1 Bet  £116.25 £271.25 £546.97 2 Call  £116.25 £387.50 £112.96 TommyD Fold     River  9    1 Bet  £387.50 £775.00 £159.47 2 All-in  £112.96 £887.96 £0.00 1 Unmatched bet  £274.54 £613.42 £434.01               
  • edited January 2013
    Poker is horrible sometimes, but it's good to know I am not the only one having a bad time of it )

chin up

• edited January 2013
    Its difficult, sb ranges are the easiest to assign to most regs esp when they call a 3-bet it can be super narrow as you are aware, when he donks a standard range i would give him would be jj,qq,mayb99 + sets, i doubt he has a diamond draw you have great blockers for that with ur hand, so ruling out draws, only a fish or a notable maniac would call with suited cards. 

Flop plays passively so he may feel good with hands like qq,jj, he prob checks 99s if he had it, and from this point i prob fold just like u did tbh, although no draw came player 1 is definitely betting for value and weighted towards sets but i would not be surprised if he flipped over qq, player 2.. well who knows he may have got there on the river.

:S sorry no real help there, but interesting hand never the less, thanks for sharing.

EDIT: did not factor in that effective stacks are 300+bb, villain 1's range may be wider :S
  • edited January 2013
    Its difficult, sb ranges are the easiest to assign to most regs esp when they call a 3-bet it can be super narrow as you are aware, when he donks a standard range i would give him would be jj,qq,mayb99 + sets, i doubt he has a diamond draw you have great blockers for that with ur hand, so ruling out draws, only a fish or a notable maniac would call with suited cards.  Flop plays passively so he may feel good with hands like qq,jj, he prob checks 99s if he had it, and from this point i prob fold just like u did tbh, although no draw came player 1 is definitely betting for value and weighted towards sets but i would not be surprised if he flipped over qq, player 2.. well who knows he may have got there on the river. :S sorry no real help there, but interesting hand never the less, thanks for sharing. EDIT: did not factor in that effective stacks are 300+bb, villain 1's range may be wider :S
    Posted by WHOAMI196
    At the time I couldn't see him donking the flop with JJ or QQ, two hands I can see him flatting OOP to a 3bet.  I called to reassess and felt he was pretty happy with his hand after leading again into two people.  I expected to see TT at showdown.  However I didn't see that hand.

The fact I have Ad I think sucks more than helps IMO.  AdXd would be something I can see maybe leading with on flop and turn, and he can't have that.  In game player 1 was the only one I was worried about, if it was me and player 2 all of the money would have gotten in and I would have been quite happy about it.

Thoughts on raising the flop?
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : At the time I couldn't see him donking the flop with JJ or QQ, two hands I can see him flatting OOP to a 3bet.  I called to reassess and felt he was pretty happy with his hand after leading again into two people.  I expected to see TT at showdown.  However I didn't see that hand. The fact I have Ad I think sucks more than helps IMO.  AdXd would be something I can see maybe leading with on flop and turn, and he can't have that.  In game player 1 was the only one I was worried about, if it was me and player 2 all of the money would have gotten in and I would have been quite happy about it. Thoughts on raising the flop?
    Posted by TommyD
    true that.

its hard to put villain on a worse hand than AA when he continues on the turn, it doesn't look like QdJd or some other combo draw, on the flop he half pots it, turn he makes it exactly 3/4 of the pot, and when people use the betting tabs it seems kinda strong, its as if he doesn't care of the amount he bets and just wants to get his money in.

I am not sure about raising the flop because you haven't seen him donk lead the flop before! he leads into a guy who never folds! and a aggressive player who has made a strong three bet pre! although saying all this  his half pot flop bet looks strangely weak, but i take your line here i think tommy. 

if he has 55, then that's just LOL

• edited January 2013
    Yes im more worried about the flat call here from player 2 on the turn im calling down player 1 all day long if he isnt involved.
  • edited January 2013
    Brutal day.  Played awful, ran terrible, paid off too light and didn't Vbet the right spots.  Played a number of DYMs to grind the points, in ten of them the villain took a flip spot after I shoved, I lost every single one.  Funnily enough the one time my shove was into aces I binked, but that was a drop in an all engulfing ocean.  Having a nasty month now.  Going to try to avoid relegation on Fifa and grind later, confidence at the floor right now. P/L:  -£1792.46 C4P:  7653 Tomorrow starts Operation Get Back Even.
    Posted by TommyD
    Sigh.  I've ran super super bad at DYM's lately .

You on xbox or ps3 ?
  • edited January 2013
    I stopped playing dyms about 3 months ago.  I feel i had been playing them wrong and shoving too wide in a dym were it would be a standard spot to shove in a tournament.  eg shipping 14 bigs with 55,66 etc.  Personally i dont play them at all any more as i got frustrated with them and dont see them as real poker.  For me to play a dym correctly i suppose i would have to turn into a nit lol.  Yet every time even tho i would lose with the standard shove in an mtt i would do the same shove again even tho it is probably wrong in a dym.
  • edited January 2013
    I stopped playing dyms about 3 months ago.  I feel i had been playing them wrong and shoving too wide in a dym were it would be a standard spot to shove in a tournament.  eg shipping 14 bigs with 55,66 etc.  Personally i dont play them at all any more as i got frustrated with them and dont see them as real poker.  For me to play a dym correctly i suppose i would have to turn into a nit lol.  Yet every time even tho i would lose with the standard shove in an mtt i would do the same shove again even tho it is probably wrong in a dym.
    Posted by bearlyther
    As you said Bearly, they suit a certain type of player. Good luck with them Tommy!!!