You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.

Comments

• edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.:
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Just caught up with the thread and a great read as always, have had internet connection issues or lack of.! Great tunage! and with obviously such a great music ear, i would hope and/or recomend The Stone Temple Pilots are also on your ipod or (in my case) CD(remember those?).Good tunes and good luck.
    Posted by Any2Suited
    Cheers Any2

Yeah of course I remember The Stone Temple Pilots.  Think I have their CDs somewhere in one of my many CD boxes yet to be unpacked, must dig them out tomorrow.  I'm currently rediscovering some CDs I haven't listened to for ages.  At the moment I'm on The Cooper Temple Clause, Sunhouse (short lived Folk Rock band who are best known for the soundtrack to Shane Meadow's first full feature, 24/7, a film well worth checking out IMO) and the best of Frankie Goes to Hollywood.  I kid you not, look beyond Relax and Two Tribes and there are some tunes there.
  • edited November 2012
    Ok, UKOPS update.

I can sum it up with the scene from Chariots of Fire where Ben Cross sits in the dressing room, sullen, detailing what's gone wrong in every event so far just before his blue ribbon event.  That's pretty much where I am.  I haven't been able to play the last two nights (still mixed feelings on skipping the High Roller).  I'm already in for tonight and the main tomorrow.  Time to find the gears.
  • edited November 2012
    Sigh, my Sunday league football game has just been cancelled.  For a little bit of rain.  Apparently the two refs at the ground today decided to abandon it in record time but then again I wouldn't fancy 90 minutes being told I was wrong all of the time and get soaking wet as well.

So what do people do on a Sunday morning?  Seriously, I feel massively out of place right now.
  • edited November 2012

LOVE that line.,.....

"....hope is a beautiful thing....."

We are so blessed in life, if we did but know it. 
  • edited November 2012
    Ok, time for one last push to get something out of this UKOPS series.  Odds are against but you never know.  To get my mind focused, intense, hyped up and hungry for action I have decided to start by watching this video.

Bruce Lee's in it

I love the dancing ducks myself.
  • edited November 2012
    I know you like your films Tommy and I saw it today so... have you seen Skyfall yet and what did you think? Just posted my thoughts on it in my diary.
  • edited November 2012
    I know you like your films Tommy and I saw it today so... have you seen Skyfall yet and what did you think? Just posted my thoughts on it in my diary.
    Posted by Lambert180
    I saw the start of your thoughts on SkyFall mate but I stopped reading there.  I haven't seen it yet and I am avoiding spoilers.  Yes I know I'm making a rod for my own back by leaving it this late but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.  I'm becoming a bit of a cinema fuddy duddy and other patrons are really beginning to annoy me for films I really want to see.  Dark Knight Rises was ruined for me by some fellow patrons and I'm waiting for the buzz to die down a bit.  The downside to this is while I end up going to a showing with only a few people in the multiplex normally ends up leaving the house lights up a bit or having sound issues not fixed.  The lack of dedicated projectionists in every theatre for every showing annoys me, a film needs to be nursed through a showing, not stuck on like a DVD at a kids party.

Yup, I'm definitely getting old.
  • edited November 2012
    A successful but frustrating poker session last night.  I don't know if it's a hang over from the UKOPS/King of Cash promo but every cash table I went on seemed to be super tight.  Well known laggy players who I respect greatly were playing less hands than a nun playing her case buy in.  I normally just continue to bumble away on such tables and take a fair few liberties but it just all felt like a grind.  So I hit the hay early because tonight is going to be a big night.

Why?  Well tonight I will be mostly playing poker and watching the U.S. election.  I've had my mind warped by the News Media.  They have so been constantly banging on that this is 'too close to call' that I'm starting to believe it.  While I think the popular vote will be close nationwide, I think those key states are staying with Barry O.  Either way, the American's put on one heck of a show and it should be good popcorn viewing.
  • edited November 2012

Morning Tommy.

Any idea who won last night's Sky Poker Main Event?

PS - Congrats!
  • edited November 2012
    Morning Tommy. Any idea who won last night's Sky Poker Main Event? PS - Congrats!
    Posted by Tikay10
    TYVM Mr K

It's funny how MTTs run, I had a lovely bink just before UKOPS and this two days after.  In between when I was really hoping to kick on, not a sausage.  You can't pick when you run good in MTTS, all you can do is just play as well as you can and see when it comes together.

Last night was one of those beautiful nights when everything came together.  Most decent MTT players will occasionally have that tourney where everything is just so simple, it's like you can see everyone's cards, you're in complete control and mentally totally relaxed.  It's wonderful when you hit that perfect mood and I just enjoy it as they don't come around often.

Thanks to all you lovely people who railed me again as well, always a lovely crowd :)
  • edited November 2012

Rigged! Please move to either brags thread or Area51 mods!

Congrats on your win last night, it was good to rail - and apart from Irene, it was also troll free :)
  • edited November 2012
    Top work last night Tommy! 
  • edited November 2012
    Cheers Maxy and Dave

Hit a purple patch in the MTTs lately.  The most ridiculous being Sunday night when I came back from being down to 8.5 chippies at the start of level 2 in the 9pm £110 BHer to go on to finish second.  The greed for the bounty fuelled the spin up, and of course running like Mr Bolt all of a sudden.

Strange tonight.  The result is I FTed both the main and the £110 BHer, making a little over a grand in the process.  The other way of looking at it is I held the chip lead on both FTs at one time and finished 4th in both.  I think I'm maturing as a player and a person though.  In the old days I would be cursing not taking at least one of them down.  Right now while there is a pinch of annoyance, I'm much colder at looking at the results.  First up, in the 9pm I got silly lucky in a few spots in the middle part of the tournament.  Run good kicked in.  Also I butchered my exit hand.  I noticed a clear betting tell as obvious as a tanning salon deciding to open in Newcastle but I still plundered my stack in the middle, ignoring what I had seen.  Over in the main, just a cooler.  2nd in chips I 4bet with Kings and get a call from the chip leader.  A 7 high flop leads me to shove and I get shown AKs.  One over and the NFD, we're basically flipping and I lost the flip.

Haven't done a full review yet but right now I'm thinking in the main, played pretty good.  In the 9pm, engaged the box of luck.  They don't put an asterisk on the money though, value is always the same.  I'm just going to enjoy the hot run as I always do, they never last but then again they never leave for good when they go.
  • edited November 2012
    Outside of poker, I had a genuine reason to shout 'Sort it out Sky!' earlier.  Before anyone rushes to tell me to contact customer care I'm talking about the Satelite TV wing of the corporate behemoth, more specifically the installation department.  Long time readers will know I moved into a lovely new place earlier in the year.  We had a very pleasant gentleman come round to hook up Sky TV.  Nice guy, apart from after being offered tea and biscuits deciding to make four trips to the biscuit barrel.  They were chocy ones as well.  I had to be restrained.

That was back in the early summer and the thing about that time of the year is you don't get too much constant rain usuallyl.  The thing about Autumn and Winter is you get plenty.  The mini-dish is fixed to the outside wall of my office (The Grindatorium).  Imagine my surprise when I see water running down inside the painted lining paper and the corner of the wall, then bulging pregnant near the floor spreading its way across.  After spending plenty of time checking the roof, ceiling etc my attention finally turned to the mini-dish.  My friend with a sweet tooth had total success with three of the holes to bolt the dish on with.  The fourth, well not so much.  The hole is caverness to the point that the bolt isn't touching the sides and provides less purpose than an Off Licence in Qatar.  To make matters worse with no rawl-plug in there for some reason the hole has become a funnel.  Water's been collecting and working its way through the brickwork.

Big sigh, the place only got decorated a month ago and now some touch ups need to be done.  Sky are sending their 'field inspector.' round soon.  Now I think that these things happen and I'm not that annoyed about it.  As long as we get some sort of apology and fair compensation for fixing it I'll be cool.  Then there is the expectation of the GF.  Her expectation is somewhere in the region of free Sky TV for life and an airplane trailing a 'We're So Sorry' banner in the air over the house for about a week.  She's constantly been prepping me with 'haggling training' for a couple of days.  Well I say prepping, in reality she's been constantly changing the conversation with no warning to reminding me to 'be firm,' 'be really firm' and 'be really really firm.'  I think nothing of spewing on the poker table but turning the screws to get all I can out of this sort of spot is alien to me.  I can see me folding like a cheap suit now, my attempt at haggling will probably end up with subscribing to another package and costing me more money.  I am seriously thinking of ordering apology flowers for the GF right now just to save some time.  Sigh.
  • edited November 2012
    Outside of poker, I had a genuine reason to shout 'Sort it out Sky!' earlier.  Before anyone rushes to tell me to contact customer care I'm talking about the Satelite TV wing of the corporate behemoth, more specifically the installation department.  Long time readers will know I moved into a lovely new place earlier in the year.  We had a very pleasant gentleman come round to hook up Sky TV.  Nice guy, apart from after being offered tea and biscuits deciding to make four trips to the biscuit barrel.  They were chocy ones as well.  I had to be restrained. That was back in the early summer and the thing about that time of the year is you don't get too much constant rain usuallyl.  The thing about Autumn and Winter is you get plenty.  The mini-dish is fixed to the outside wall of my office (The Grindatorium).  Imagine my surprise when I see water running down inside the painted lining paper and the corner of the wall, then bulging pregnant near the floor spreading its way across.  After spending plenty of time checking the roof, ceiling etc my attention finally turned to the mini-dish.  My friend with a sweet tooth had total success with three of the holes to bolt the dish on with.  The fourth, well not so much.  The hole is caverness to the point that the bolt isn't touching the sides and provides less purpose than an Off Licence in Qatar.  To make matters worse with no rawl-plug in there for some reason the hole has become a funnel.  Water's been collecting and working its way through the brickwork. Big sigh, the place only got decorated a month ago and now some touch ups need to be done.  Sky are sending their 'field inspector.' round soon.  Now I think that these things happen and I'm not that annoyed about it.  As long as we get some sort of apology and fair compensation for fixing it I'll be cool.  Then there is the expectation of the GF.  Her expectation is somewhere in the region of free Sky TV for life and an airplane trailing a 'We're So Sorry' banner in the air over the house for about a week.  She's constantly been prepping me with 'haggling training' for a couple of days.  Well I say prepping, in reality she's been constantly changing the conversation with no warning to reminding me to 'be firm,' 'be really firm' and 'be really really firm.'  I think nothing of spewing on the poker table but turning the screws to get all I can out of this sort of spot is alien to me.  I can see me folding like a cheap suit now, my attempt at haggling will probably end up with subscribing to another package and costing me more money.  I am seriously thinking of ordering apology flowers for the GF right now just to save some time.  Sigh.
    Posted by TommyD
    I wouldn't hold your breath for the field inspector.
    Similar situation happened to my friend he phoned CS and was overjoyed that he'd receive a visit within 48 hours.
    He took the day off work, waited in all day but no-one came.
    Slightly annoyed he phoned CS who apologised and gave him another date.
    The date was confirmed on his answer phone the following day.
    He took another day off work, waited in and no-one came again. He phoned CS who told him It was his mistake. even after replaying the ansaphone message, he was still made to feel it was all his fault.
    Two weeks later the engineer arrived, sorted the problem in minutes. Then said he would have come earlier but he'd been told to concentrate on new installations.
    My mate was not a happy bunny! but that was ten months ago and his set up is now perfect!
    Sadly, he didn't receive any compensation nor apology from CS
  • edited November 2012
    How do you know my name?
  • edited November 2012
    Have a mate who is a Sky installer/sorter/fixer.  The way to get him to do anything work related is tea & choccy biccies. It must be a prerequisite of the job lol.
    Poker related Q.  When you are in a purple patch do you play more?  Are you waiting for the next downswing?   Reason I ask is as a seasoned runner who has picked up more than his fair share of injuries, I now believe I'm "just running between injuries!" 
  • edited November 2012
    How do you know my name?
    Posted by Jac35
    If you're a long time reader of the thread you'll see I am very very very very lucky.  Guess I got lucky ;)
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : I wouldn't hold your breath for the field inspector. Similar situation happened to my friend he phoned CS and was overjoyed that he'd receive a visit within 48 hours. He took the day off work, waited in all day but no-one came. Slightly annoyed he phoned CS who apologised and gave him another date. The date was confirmed on his answer phone the following day. He took another day off work, waited in and no-one came again. He phoned CS who told him It was his mistake. even after replaying the ansaphone message, he was still made to feel it was all his fault. Two weeks later the engineer arrived, sorted the problem in minutes. Then said he would have come earlier but he'd been told to concentrate on new installations. My mate was not a happy bunny! but that was ten months ago and his set up is now perfect! Sadly, he didn't receive any compensation nor apology from CS
    Posted by DUNMIDOSH
    The guy came round today.  Nice chap.  Won't admit liability yet for the water damage but is willing to fix the wall.  I need to get a surveyor round to confirm the water damage came from the mistake which is reasonable, I'm sure many a chancer has done more damage to their own property if they thought they'd get more money out of it.  I understand them wanting an expert's opinion.  Another step forward :)
  • edited November 2012
    Have a mate who is a Sky installer/sorter/fixer.  The way to get him to do anything work related is tea & choccy biccies. It must be a prerequisite of the job lol. Poker related Q.  When you are in a purple patch do you play more?  Are you waiting for the next downswing?   Reason I ask is as a seasoned runner who has picked up more than his fair share of injuries, I now believe I'm "just running between injuries!" 
    Posted by Glenelg
    I try not to alter anything during the run good, it feels like a giant Jenga tower I must be very careful to keep standing.  You're always waiting for the next downswing, you maybe don't admit, try not to think about it but it is the distant elephant in the room (two metaphors I've always wanted to combine, thanks for the chance Pad).  So yes, I guess I am playing between downswings.  The cup half full way of looking at is when on a downswing I'm between upswings.  Hopefully.
  • edited November 2012
    Ok I need your advice good people of the forum.  I have a cat problem.  Now I don't own a cat, a bit allergic to them to be truthful, but ever since we moved to our new place there are a few passing through.  The main problem is Grant.  Grant is a ginger cat I named after my friend who is also ginger and a pain in the backside.  Now I admit my mistake, he's really cute and I ended up feeding him.  Not junk stuff, I went out and bought this 'nutri-cat' dry food stuff which judging by the look of it and the fact he doesn't eat much of it in one sitting it's the cat equivalent of All Bran.

Now Grant seems to be in pretty good nick, clean, healthy coat of fur, happy and wide eyed.  The problem is he doesn't have a collar.  Now I assumed he lived somewhere on the street but he's begun to turn up at funny times of day.  I've seen him at one in the morning before and I've only just now seen him again.  I heard something a silly enough I opened my office door, Grant shot inside before I could do a thing about it.  Not great, he seemed to explore the office then attempted to jump on my lap.  Now I'm not that used to cats so I was pretty rigid, until the point his claws reached out and then I made quite a loud yelp.  But he is really friendly, keeps rubbing against my legs, keeps raising his paws to get stroked on the head.

Now my problem.  I don't know if he's a stray or has owners who let him in and out all day and night long without bothering with a collar.  Now it's getting cold, winter's coming.  Tonight he eventually went to the door and walked out of his own accord, but should I be taking him in at night.  I honestly don't know, never had a cat.  What do you think?
  • edited November 2012
    give him an inch & he'll take a mile
    you want a cat - get one of your own
    but you're allergic so you won't
    so don't
    just saying

oh - I had some tommyD run good the other night. had QQ & KK in successive hands, aipf each time to find myself against KK & AA. binked my set both times. shame it was a mini tournie not a main - but still satisfying nonetheless

and yes - a fairly direct response to your question, but why sugar coat it?
  • edited November 2012
    If he looks to be healthy then he will have an owner.

Some cats like having multiple sources of food tho.

Don't worry about it being cold outside....they have fur for a reason and are more than fine.

Well done on your new cat tho cos now he will make sure to say hello 2/3 times a day.
  • edited November 2012
    I've recently moved too Tommy and there is a feral female cat around.
    She has now given birth to 4 kittens and they are living in a shed (not ours) at the back of our house.
    As a cat lover (got 3 myself) i have been putting a little food out for the kittens.
    They have now all taken up residence in our back garden!
    Its looks like the mother is now pregnant again so i've contacted the Cats Protection League who are coming today to set some traps for them all.

I hope Grant has been "done" as he will be spraying all over the place!
    May be worth taking him to vets to check if he has been chipped.
  • edited November 2012
    Cheers for the responses guys.  As I've woken up with my eyes streaming and three lovely claw marks in my thigh I'm feeling less sympathetic towards the lad.  He's a cute cat and manages to look at me in the same way the GF does when a new Ugg Boot is out, so suddenly the fear of opening the backdoor and seeing a ginger hairy icicle started to grow.  But I know I'm being silly.  Anyhow, I'm much more of a dog fan and we'll bound to get a little pooch at some point, so that'll no doubt change things.

Yesterday was the first day he turned up twice in a day.  The problem is I think he's a ninja cat, I never hear him coming and don't notice until is right upon me.  The lad has assassin skills.

Cheers again, probably going to keep putting the health food stuff out for him.  He looks up at me after couple of bites with that 'Come on, where's the good stuff?' but I am yet to produce the John West.

Oh and Geldy, keep telling yourself it's a skill game ;)
  • edited November 2012
    Cheers for the responses guys.  As I've woken up with my eyes streaming and three lovely claw marks in my thigh I'm feeling less sympathetic towards the lad.  He's a cute cat and manages to look at me in the same way the GF does when a new Ugg Boot is out, so suddenly the fear of opening the backdoor and seeing a ginger hairy icicle started to grow.  But I know I'm being silly.  Anyhow, I'm much more of a dog fan and we'll bound to get a little pooch at some point, so that'll no doubt change things. Yesterday was the first day he turned up twice in a day.  The problem is I think he's a ninja cat, I never hear him coming and don't notice until is right upon me.  The lad has assassin skills. Cheers again, probably going to keep putting the health food stuff out for him.  He looks up at me after couple of bites with that 'Come on, where's the good stuff?' but I am yet to produce the John West. Oh and Geldy, keep telling yourself it's a skill game ;)
    Posted by TommyD
    You sure the cat did this?? :-)
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : You sure the cat did this?? :-)
    Posted by VespaPX
    The Gf and I have been in a relationship for over five years.  Yes I'm sure it was the cat. ;)
  • edited November 2012

BUMP

Tommy,

So you win another sky main event and then forget the fans and stop posting in the diary!

Poor, poor show!

Matt

• edited November 2012
    BUMP Tommy, So you win another sky main event and then forget the fans and stop posting in the diary! Poor, poor show! Matt
    Posted by MattBates
    Haha, yes I have been somewhat lax on this lately.  I accept the kick up the backside and will get back into updating this.

For anyone reading right now, Matt and myself are both on the Thursday Roller FT if you fancy a rail.  Be quick, I doubt we'll both be there for long.
  • edited November 2012
    Cheers for the rub down Tommy!

gg me....6th!