You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.

Comments

• edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.:
    Interesting hand, sorry to not get back to you sooner Pad.   Some great advice above as well, great work people. Ok from my side of it:  Playing with just over 25bb versus an UTG opener I am only ever doing this light against someone opening far too much and folding to lots of 3bets in position.  This sort of person is rare.  As to my value range I am 3betting stuff I am the vast majority of the time quite happy to go wit  With your stack I think I like a conservative fold pre to the 3bet and just look for a spot later which won't include too much guesswork.
    Posted by TommyD
    No need Tommy.  Thanx for replying @ 4 a.m.!!!!  Some good advice/tips.   When I first reviewed the hand I did come to your conclusion.  I think I just needed confirmation tbh.   Thanx for the other replies. Thats why I love playing here.  
    P

p.s.  Not too many biscuits between meals for Shirl tho.  It's a slippery slope and it's VERY embarrassing when vet says "My my, haven't we put on a lotta weight!" :-(
  • edited November 2014
    So far in the few games ive played at tommys table it very simple and easy too play against him. If tommy calls i fold. If tommy is still too act after me i fold. If tommy raises i fold quicker. If tommy bets and i have aa. I fold.  I also play these rules against certain other players. mattbates Divsdreams Geldy Hyyhtyyfyftfffftyrrrrrrrttyhhyryrydddtttrr.  
    Posted by Chris_Mc

nice range merging. 
    Matt at the loose end
    Tommy at the tight
    GELDY somewhere in between
    but who knows where Harry is? 

Very tough to fold to the 3 bet, maybe calling is a leak but it is a nutting hand that might get paid off. 
    but shipping against a very good player like tommyd is probably the worst option unless you were shorter stacked. 

• edited January 2015
    we won't mention the leaderboard, but how did the bingo go?
  • edited January 2015
    actually let's mention the leaderboard

main a bit so so (relatively speaking) but a great result in the mini. any thoughts on why the two results are so different?
  • edited February 2015
    vwp at the UKPC tommy
    shame you didn't cash but very nice regardless
  • edited February 2015
    many rivers to cross
    by GELDY

has a ring to it
    although I'd still rather the original poster continued with it
  • edited March 2015
    many rivers to cross by GELDY has a ring to it although I'd still rather the original poster continued with it
    Posted by GELDY
    You remember when the original poster did a long run posting about trying to win a vegas package?  Got a feeling we may get a redux.
  • edited March 2015
    And we're back.  This time hopefully for a long run.  The times they are a changing.

I've changed my profile pic for the first time since joining the forum.  GG Rorschach, for now at least.  If anyone reading has never read the Alan Moore graphic novel Watchmen, go get it.  For me it is a literary classic with pointed and cutting social commentary from the 1980's and is still so very relevant in the modern day, maybe even more so now.

Anyone new to my diary, a huge welcome.  For old timers, glad you're still here.  This is a great jumping on point, it's basically gonna be a reboot from this point on.

What's the new profile pic?  I'm glad you asked, voice in my head.  That's a still taken from the motion poster for the upcoming Netflix and Marvel series Daredevil.  For newbies to these pages I am a complete comic book geek as well as an avid movie fan (across all genres from Super Hero to art house indy brilliance).  Of all the comic book characters I have read, the two who I really connected with myself were Rorschach and Daredevil.

Rorschach is a fascinating character.  While my own political views are decidedly left of centre, he is a radical right winger, but without the 'isms' or prejudice.  He also has a seemingly unattainably strict moral code with zero shades of grey, everything is either good or evil, which he expects everyone to adhere to.  Essentially in his view the ends can never justify the means.  A moral compass which is explored and tested to the ultimate ends in Watchmen.  Seriously, go read it.  If you feel embarrassed buying a graphic novel go take a copy of Heat or Razzle or something to hide it in on your way out.

Back to the new pic.  Matt Murdoch AKA DareDevil was blinded as a child saving an old man from that classic comic book staple, a barrel of radioactive waste.  Ah MacGuffins, where would we be without you?  He loses his sight but gains enhanced senses and what is essentially a sonar sense.  He becomes a lawyer by day and a crimefighter by night.  I always loved the exploration of the character, it was so much grittier than your Spiderman, Superman or even Batman books of the time.  Example?  One storyline saw Matt's ex-girlfriend sell his secret identity to a drug dealer in exchange for crack after failing as a mainstream actress and falling into performing 'romance movies.'  And this was in the mid 1980s.  For those of you from the Game Of Thrones TV generation where you can't have a wedding without an exposed boob and a few heart stabs, at the time this was unheard of, especially from the USA where one Jackson nipple at a Superbowl can seemingly nearly end civilization as we know it.

I've changed the profile pic as I think my mental state needs to move towards that guy right now.  Work hard.  Work harder than anyone else.  I've been too lazy at poker the last few months.  Take the hits of disappointment and build again, I'm getting too bogged down with the swongs and my mental attitude has been sloppy.  And be much more daring.  Just back from the UKPC where I think I played a very good day 1 but the day 2, just was not daring.  Just didn't play how I should have.  I need to find that spark again, so to remind me, there's the profile pic.

Anyway, I ramble.  13 episodes of the new DD series starring Charlie Cox from Broadwalk Empire fame is dropping on Netflix on April 10th, expect me to babble constantly in the run up to this.  If you're curious, go watch the motion posters on marvel.com, go watch the trailer and see if you're excited.

oh and I promise the next post I make will be about poker :)
  • edited March 2015
    Great news! Excited! :)
    I'll put Watchmen on my wish list 
    GL!
  • edited March 2015

For those of you who don't know I went to Las Vegas for my first and to date only time with SkyPoker a few years ago as part of the Viva Las Vegas Priority promo.  They did a rakerace, which I documented here to qualify for a freeroll with one package up top.  I was dumb-luckedly fortunate enough to bink it.  So while a few people had spent a decent amount of money to go to Vegas I got the mouth-wateringly fabulous package for free, like a ***'ll Fix It competition winner.  You can't mention that name or show.  Why?  Society has decided it's much more comfortable trying to erase him from history rather than have to face up to series of mistakes and negligence so many people committed for so long to allow such evil.  Ok then, gotcha.  Thanks for the info.  You're welcome.

Anyway where was I?  Oh yeah, Vegas Baby!!

So I am going for the Viva Las Vegas packages this year.  yes plural, gonna try for the sidey and the main event ones to combine as some long Vegas trip which will no doubt leave me in the end as a blubbering collection of meat and poor choices.  Really up for this.

There have already been a lot of posts on this forum about the promo, ranging from negative through positive.  Here's my take.

The smaller package has many more seats.  Yes there are tailor made sub-promos for cash and SnG players.  And yes it does feel a little bit funny that I can name you at least six of the eight weekly winners from the two league formats right now.  However those are benefits are in my opinion justified for the long term grinders of the site.  And there are many more smaller packages available for rec players which everyone has a shot at.  Would I like something like a MTT league where it's all about average ROI over a 150 game two month cycle for a few packages?  Yes I would, but I can see the thinking behind how the current format is set up and I fully support it.

And the most important point, the big one, the £10k VLV packages, they are as it stands on a completely level playing for the most occasional recreational player right up to the grindiest of grinding regs.  From a purely personal and selfish point of view, I hate how the big one is all or nothing on one tournament.  However, from a business point of view and that of complete fairness for everyone, it is bang on the right and most level thing for SkyPoker to do.  I hate it on that base personal and self centred level because if the packages were spread over a few semi finals I would have a much better chance being able to buy in direct for each (as well as qualify from a higher tier).  In an all or nothing one shot I could well crash and burn again like the Punta Cana qualifier and be first out to a couple of nasty coolers.

So I like the promo as is.  It should be a lot of fun.  And it's the best shot I have seen in a while for someone to get to Vegas and play in what is an absolute chapel of a poker setting for free.  And I'll be taking a shot at it, while diarying all of the ups and downs right here.

Good luck us.
  • edited March 2015
    gl indeed

welcome back
  • edited March 2015
    Great news! Excited! :) I'll put Watchmen on my wish list  GL!
    Posted by mrsduck
    Thanks Ducky.  Watchmen is a really great read imo and you should enjoy it!!!
  • edited March 2015
    gl indeed welcome back
    Posted by GELDY
    And thank you for bugging me enough about this diary to bring it back :)
  • edited March 2015
    So what's the criteria of the updates then?  You will see a nearly daily report with profit/loss, VLV progress, general thoughts and if it all goes wrong, tears.  Many tears.  In pixel form though so sweet!

'I could deny, but I'll never realise.  I've been chasing rainbows all my life.'
  • edited March 2015
    So what's the criteria of the updates then?  You will see a nearly daily report with profit/loss, VLV progress, general thoughts and if it all goes wrong, tears.  Many tears.  In pixel form though so sweet! 'I could deny, but I'll never realise.  I've been chasing rainbows all my life.'
    Posted by TommyD
    Yes.

So you are going for gold with these Vegas packages?
  • edited March 2015
    Hi Pal,

Best of luck in the sats and hopefully you get your seat.

Im sure I told you before but I worked as a colorist for Marvel for a good few years.

I have loads of pictures , comics, novels and the like just in storage at my folks.

The next time Im home I will route out some DD stuff if your intrested.

PS nice seeing you at DTD pity it was for longer.

• edited March 2015
    So what's the criteria of the updates then?  You will see a nearly daily report with profit/loss, VLV progress, general thoughts and if it all goes wrong, tears.  Many tears.  In pixel form though so sweet! 'I could deny, but I'll never realise.  I've been chasing rainbows all my life.'
    Posted by TommyD
    oooh Please Sir,   I know, I know, Sir is it Shed 7? 
    Oh & sir I h8 the new avatar.  Oh & sir looking forward to updates.  I also am gonna give VLV a go, sats obvs tho.
    BTW My youngest (who knows about these things) says DD "sucks, big time"  just so ya know.   Charlie Cox ended up in a tea chest in BE  btw #justsaying
    Pad
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Yes. So you are going for gold with these Vegas packages?
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    I know you're quoting another Shed 7 song but all I can think about is this:  Who am I?
    Incred show back in the day.  I always felt for the non UK players, they had to answer questions in a foreign language and interpret the heavily accented Henry Kelly.  But for the most part what I remember is the facial hair in that show.  So much facial hair.....
  • edited March 2015
    Hi Pal, Best of luck in the sats and hopefully you get your seat. Im sure I told you before but I worked as a colorist for Marvel for a good few years. I have loads of pictures , comics, novels and the like just in storage at my folks. The next time Im home I will route out some DD stuff if your intrested. PS nice seeing you at DTD pity it was for longer.
    Posted by day4eire76

Thanks Pat, was great to see you too.  Sorry I didn't hang around longer but after sinking five bullets into that mini I decided it was time to hit the highway :)
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : oooh Please Sir,   I know, I know, Sir is it Shed 7?  Oh & sir I h8 the new avatar.  Oh & sir looking forward to updates.  I also am gonna give VLV a go, sats obvs tho. BTW My youngest (who knows about these things) says DD "sucks, big time"  just so ya know.   Charlie Cox ended up in a tea chest in BE  btw #justsaying Pad
    Posted by Glenelg
    In one, indeed is Shed 7, one of the songs which represent my teenage years.

Good luck in the VLV sats man, hope you make it.  I would love to not only make it out there but for there to be a good band of us from the forum all enjoying Vegas together.

Tell your youngest he either has read some really poor DD works or he just doesn't understand it yet.  ;)  In truth DD is not the most exciting, he's a street level hero.  It's grim, gritty, bloody and much more down to earth than a man who can do anything except when confronted by the wrong type of rock or a billionaire who likes to cosplay as mammals.  (btw I actually really enjoy Supes and Bats as well, their movie next year needs to be good).

Oh and you don't like the Avatar?  Bloody knuckles, red sunglasses, a cane for the blind which doubles as a Billy-Club, that smirk?  Your argument is invalid.
  • edited March 2015
    VLV - Day 1

Decent start.  Bricked the freerolls and a couple of the quarters I played.  However managed to bag a seat for the £3.2k Vegas Semi on Saturday and the £10k Vegas Semi on Sunday.  It comes up in the lobby as me already having these seats but I just pre entered in case something comes up on either day.  However this doesn't mean I won't be sat grinding for cash all the way through this promo.  We've bounced up and down with this and I make no apology for both playing games I believe I have an edge in and adding to the liquidity of the games which help keep the seat guarantees up.  But let's probably not go there for the thousandth time.

So yeah, ok start to the quest.  Every marathon begins with a single step.

Aside from that, ok start to the month.  Won the MBI/AYI/TDI tonight (the name for the 10:30pm £55 Speed bounty hunter is currently under review due to the MB of the MBI not winning it in a while).  Blew some really good shots last night though which was disappointing.  Hard to go from 2nd in chips in the Roller with 40 left to not cashing, managed it though through a series of poorly played hands.  Live and learn.

Only played the one cash session this month so far, small win.  Small loss on a DYM session going 3 for 6 and 1 for 1 in HU SnGs.

So the first scores on the doors is:

March 2015

Points so Far:  1365
    Total Profit/loss so far:  +£239.47  (have pre bought in for £667 worth of the VLV satty tree, these figures reflect these unplayed events).
             DYMs:  - £18
             Cash:  + £317.87
             MTT:  - £107.90
             HU SnG:  + £47.50

Total VLV spend to date:  £751.20 - (£317 in cash returns) = £434.20

The dream is to get a Vegas package for zero or less.  A boy can dream.  Oh yes, a boy can dream....
  • edited March 2015
    Great to have the diary back and updating poker stats or other general life stuff.(Like the shenanigins of flat living with some dodgy sounding characters imagined or otherwise, and other people stories before you moved to your new home!)No problem with change of Avatar ....except my 1st glance i thought Ben Affleck at the Oscars for Good Will Hunting !! But he did i recall play some iffy(being polite!) character from comic history of Marvel. Burgundy suited/ bad film, can't remember the name, can't be bothered to google. Good Luck with Vegas will be trying the satelites myself.

Cheers Dave.
  • edited March 2015
    Great reading, quality to see this diary back in regular circulation at the top of the forum.

Are you also still on the roster for occasional appearances on ch861 or has that opportunity been put on long term hiatus now?

I'd offer wishes of luck on the VLV sat grind, but to be fair it's probably the rest of the player pool that need the luck if you are a regular sight in all the tournament lobbies!
  • edited March 2015
    Great to have the diary back and updating poker stats or other general life stuff.(Like the shenanigins of flat living with some dodgy sounding characters imagined or otherwise, and other people stories before you moved to your new home!)No problem with change of Avatar ....except my 1st glance i thought Ben Affleck at the Oscars for Good Will Hunting !! But he did i recall play some iffy(being polite!) character from comic history of Marvel. Burgundy suited/ bad film, can't remember the name, can't be bothered to google. Good Luck with Vegas will be trying the satelites myself. Cheers Dave.
    Posted by Any2Suited
    Hey Dave

Sigh, Affleck.  Ok so in the early 2000s there was a DareDevil film starring Ben Affleck, Michael Clarke Duncan, Colin Farrell and Jennifer Garner.  It was good in places but mostly not so good, although the Director's Cut shows vast improvements.  The series I am excited for is totally different, a complete reboot and hopefully much better.

Ahhh Battle of the Flats.  I remember those days well.  Dot and her, ahem, 'cleaning business.'  She still lives there along with The German as far as I know, most of my friends who were there have long since climbed another step of the property ladder.

Present neighbours, actually I really have to talk about that.  We have two lovely neighbours.  We really like them and enjoy the odd chat with them.  They however, hate each other.  Both ladies in their 70s.  One, an example of prim and proper you'd find in any episode of Downton Abbey.  The other, basically Doris from Gavin and Stacey.  A woman who clearly enjoyed and is still enjoying life to the fullest.  They won't talk, apparently a feud over a tree in our now garden going back a decade.  I really need to dig deeper into the gossip about that, in my mind the word tree is code for 'Pablo the Gardener' and a whole Lady Chatterley's Lover deal happened.

A few doors down is an old friend of my Dad's.  His name is Roy.  He is missing two fingers from one hand.  We call him Three Fingered Roy.  Ok I admit, didn't really take long for that one.  He's great as well, as are everyone around here on Retirement Avenue.  If any gossip drops, I'll be sure to tell you guys all about it :)
  • edited March 2015
    Great reading, quality to see this diary back in regular circulation at the top of the forum. Are you also still on the roster for occasional appearances on ch861 or has that opportunity been put on long term hiatus now? I'd offer wishes of luck on the VLV sat grind, but to be fair it's probably the rest of the player pool that need the luck if you are a regular sight in all the tournament lobbies!
    Posted by shakinaces
    Cheers man!!

I was never on any sort of roster for ch861.  They just asked me on a few times over the years.  Hopefully that means I wasn't absolutely monstrous on there.

gl gl if you're going for the VLV!!
  • edited March 2015
    Best of luck with your Vegas quest Tommy.  Looking forward to reading the journey.....from Vegas micro sat to Spearmint Rhino balla.
  • edited March 2015
    Best of luck with your Vegas quest Tommy.  Looking forward to reading the journey.....from Vegas micro sat to Spearmint Rhino balla.
    Posted by Donttelmum
    Cheers mate, you going for it as well?

See I've never been a big Rhinos fan.  As a man, life is fraught with the possibility of accidentally uncomfortable and potentially embarrassing erections.  Never seen the point of paying for the privilege.  Plus, internet.
  • edited March 2015
    Quick poker progress update in the vain attempt to make this diary forum relevant.

Been a light day, had football training so no attempts at the VLV tree.  Cash was a series of small wins.  Not entirely happy with how I am playing but at least I know I have to work on certain aspects.  Late regged and came second in the MBI.  I have to call it that now due to the man created entirely of Luck Charms Cereal who won it. So all ticking along ok at the moment pre impending doom.

March 2015

Points so Far:  2267
    Total Profit/loss so far:  +£1042.76  (have pre bought in for £667 worth of the VLV satty tree, these figures reflect these unplayed events).
             DYMs:  - £18
             Cash:  + £867.36
             MTT:  + £145.90
             HU SnG:  + £47.50

Total VLV spend to date:  £751.20 - (£317 in cash returns) = £434.20
  • edited March 2015
    This was the picture which was hung on the wall over my bed for many years.  Loved it.  Gentleman of the game and one of the finest ever seen not only at The Lane but on any football pitch.  Could teach the present generation of footballers what it is to be tough yet honourable.

RIP Dave MacKay