You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.

Comments

• edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.:
    Wobble time.  I was due a turn of fortune, came in full force over the last couple of days.  Despite a third in the Mini Sunday the MTT day was pretty much a washout.  Didn't play badly, just found myself in some ridiculous spots and James Bond filmesc run outs.  Shrug shoulders, it happens.  Rinse and repeat for day 1 of going for the VLV SnG promo.  I don't think I played great but it was certainly a day of running -ev.  To make matters worse there seems to be stiff competition this week.  I played nearly every game with JMcCririck (I'm pretty sure it's not that one). 
    Posted by TommyD
    Hi T,
    Thanks for replies.  Re bold, do you ever stand when you realise that "today is not gonna be my day" for whatever reason?  Also, kinda related, have you ever heard of "biorythms"?   Just wondering. 
  • edited March 2015
    Will get to the two posts above soon but just gonna post this first.

Quitting my run at the SnG promo.  Yeah no heart, pathetically early to throwing the towel etc etc.  Please feel free to point and laugh.  But here's the reason.

So I got a run on JMac this morning being up first, and as I'm grinding I'm thinking about the week ahead.  Now I can grind, look way back in my diary and you'll see 50 odd hour sessions for fun.  Then I'm thinking about what I am not gonna be able to do this week.  Hardly have a smoke, barely eat, miss my shows - those were all fine, not even missed any of those things and I can take that.  Gonna have to skip Hospital Radio (twice) and football training/second last match of the season.  Sigh, well I guess sacrifices have to be made, don't like it though.

And then we got to the heart strings.  Have the Hound cooped up for a week without getting a long walk a day.  Hardly say a word to the GF.  At this point I was wavering but thinking I still might have a crack at it.  Then the moment came.  Tell my 83 year old neighbour I can't set up their first ever WiFi and Tablet like a promised.  We're due for that hot date tomorrow for a few hours/

I just thought to myself 'WTF are you doing?'

So feel free to tell me I have no heart etc etc, I enjoy life too much to grind above all.  I'm much more of an idiot for saying I was going for it in the first place.

Best of luck to all the winners, I'll probably just bink the satellite anyway ;)
  • edited March 2015
    wp Tommy, life ftw!

• edited March 2015
    Awwww bad times was looking forward to Grinding hard with your all week.
    Good luck with the SATS.
    #LEGEND
  • edited March 2015
    as duckie says #lifeftw
    looking forward to your sat bink
  • edited March 2015
    Only just caught up with your Diary Tommy and have to say I am hugely impressed by your figures. The cash winnings are awesome - also being a master at cash must be nice as you're rightly recognised as one of the very best MTTs players on the site! It is also a little comforting to see that someone as good as you can also run badly at the MTTs. Whilst nowhere near your league I have been having a bad old time at them for ages now. It's been a long time since I ran deep in any of the bigger ones and I am struggling to keep the 'profit' graph from turning into the outline of a mountain! I know that mine is not all down to 'run bad' and I have not been playing well for a number of reasons, but not having confidence that any hand will hold up does make the game tougher. I nearly ran well the other day when I had AQ v QQ AIP then managed to flop the ace! Yippee some run good for me! It didn't even last for the next two cards as the case Q came down on the river! Ho Hum. I hope that some good MTT form returns (for both of us) and good luck with the VLV qualification. I have no doubt you'll get there. 
    Posted by Enut
    Hey Enut

Thank you very much for the kind words.

The key really is just hard work, focus and volume.  Confidence is an issue I struggle with (not just in poker) and there is no way I have found to fake it.  All you can really do in poker situations is 'let it go.'  Try to find a detachment between you and the odds, don't expect to win or expect to lose.  Just take a breath and draw away from it all.

The harsh fact of this game is you can run poorly for a long time.  Control what you can control.  Sigh away tilt, improve your own game.  And always, just have fun with it.
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Hi T, Thanks for replies.  Re bold, do you ever stand when you realise that "today is not gonna be my day" for whatever reason?  Also, kinda related, have you ever heard of "biorythms"?   Just wondering. 
    Posted by Glenelg
    Hey Pad

I don't stand if I think 'today is not my day.'  I do stand if I think a bad day is effecting my mentally, or at least I take an hour or so of a break, watch a show or some Youtube vids or maybe just go for a walk with the Hound.

Biorythms?  The only bell that rings is a really basic computer sorta game I had on my first computer so many years ago now.  The computer was the classic Acorn Electron.  Biorythms was a game where you would enter some personal details like date of birth etc and the program would take all of this information and create a spinning spiro-graph like pattern on a loop on the screen in pretty colours.  Forgotten about that program and while I have a feeling that's not what you are talking about, thank you for reminding me of the pretty colours.
  • edited March 2015
    This poker update is brought to you by the words d'oh, meh and sigh.

Crashed and burned a bit lately.  in the VLV sat I went out 12th.  Didn't play too badly, not amazing.  Bust out in a spot where I was a good favourite to win, just couldn't get it going.

Taken a cash downswing.  Was briefly over £10k for the month and then everything seemed to fall out of my mind.

I haven't really got anything other than that to update you guys on.  Feeling pretty low on confidence at the moment, in desperate need to regroup and go again.  Looking for that spark of inspiration.

March 2015

Points so Far:  33198
    Total Profit/loss so far:  +£6720.86  
             DYMs:  - £520.40
             Cash:  + £8602.90
             MTT:  - £855.64
             HU SnG:  - £524

Total VLV spend to date:  £1870.20 - (£1107 in cash returns) = £763.20 (and now no closer to VLV than when I started).
  • edited March 2015
    Seeing as I have just finished the grind for the evening but presently the wind is rather determined to blow several items from the garden into my office door, I doubt I'll be able to crash out soon so I might as well put an update up :)

Sunday was frankly abysmal.  Just didn't play well in most MTTs across all sites, was very disappointing.  The only one I played half decent in was the Roller, went from that a little short of the money top two v an over pair on the flop.  Pretty standard hand, pretty standard run out to pair the bad cards (for me at least).  Came up just short yet again for the £1k VLV seat, that's starting to get to me.

Tonight with renewed vigour I once again took the first steps (again) towards VLV.  Managed to sat into both the Saturday 3.2k semi and the Sunday 10k semi.  So a couple more tickets to take to the coconut shy.  Got to the final two tables of the main but I am just not playing these stages of the MTT well at the moment.  Going spot dead yes but playing the few I get badly.  Getting to a point where I am considering doing 'an Annette' and just putting a post it over my cards and just play position and feel.  Might not be the worst idea for me in the world to be completely serious.  It takes all level one thinking out of the game and we can just play on levels two and three.  For those that don't know, I have a few theories on poker.  One is that it's a spinning triangle.  In a snap shot, level one is bottom left, and it's just a player looking at the strength of their hand.  Level two is bottom right, it's a player thinking about what are the sorts of hands and ranges his opponents have.  And Level three is on top, and it's thinking about what kinds of hands does my opponent think that I have.  Problem is the triangle only spins one way.  Two is a better technical player than one, Three is better than two but three doesn't work against one, one's actually ahead of three because three is going a level too far considering factors that simply do not matter to one.

Ok, maybe I am rambling.  Next time will try to use rock, papers, scissors instead.

I can't deny it's been a good cash month and in that at least I have played ok while running exceptionally, beyond over expectation well.  the DYM and HU SnG losses on the month are a little meh, pushed too many tables at the DYMs and the HU SnG is just a real weakness of mine, especially any with some sort of speed.  I might want to try and sort that game out at some point but for now I don't want to mess around too much under the bonnet in cash I confuse the parts that are actually working.  The MTT losses, meh, not happy with how I played this month at them but I've had a couple of good MTT months so far and UKOPS is around the corner, fingers crossed I can find my game for a few of those events.

Not gonna play any cash tomorrow until the bells of April hit, I quite fancy having a £10k at cash poker month, been over a year since I had one and it's always nice to put it in the books.

Happy grinding all.

March 2015

Points so Far:  34496
    Total Profit/loss so far:  +£7899.90  
             DYMs:  - £502.40
             Cash:  + £10,209.22
             MTT:  - £1282.92

Total VLV spend to date:  £2231.20 - (£1347 in cash returns) = £884.20
  • edited March 2015

Amazing cash returns there, Tommy.

I have a question for you.

There is an interesting debate aboit the Blinds structure in the VLV Finals,
    here

As you can see, some very good players have opposing views. What is your view?

Please especially note that the structure has been advertised "as is" since day one, & to change it now would cause some grumbling. Leaving it "as is" will cause some grumbling, too.
  • edited March 2015
    Amazing cash returns there, Tommy. I have a question for you. There is an interesting debate aboit the Blinds structure in the VLV Finals, here As you can see, some very good players have opposing views. What is your view? Please especially note that the structure has been advertised "as is" since day one, & to change it now would cause some grumbling. Leaving it "as is" will cause some grumbling, too.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thank you very much Sir

First, the emboldened part, it wouldn't be online poker without that catch 22 ;)

I did see that thread, I avoided it at the time for two key reasons.  Firstly from a selfish perspective I went out something like 11th or 12th, I was a bit sore from exiting and the manner of the exit.  I felt the person who knocked me out played a hand, in my opinion, completely abominably.  they end up with a package, I have to start again.  Hated myself a little for not being able to shrug that one off in my usual fashion which I have done countless times before with a smile on my face and a song in my heart.  I wanted the win too much and I didn't like how that obsession changed me.  I obviously didn't say a word in chat and before I let myself down any further or in public I shut myself off entirely from poker and the site that evening.  Ha, that paragraph got a bit more further into reveal personal feelings than I intended, it goes that way sometimes in a diary.

The second key reason I avoided it is so many posts on structures are self advocating.  We live in an adversarial democracy.  We settle legal disputes by paying for our champions to fight our corner.  Politics is pick a team in a Punch and Judy contest.  As such so many posts on threads similar to that are 'I want it the way I like it, the way which would be best for me.'  You can't fault such posts, it's the environment everyone has grown up in over the past few centuries.

Down to brass tacks, my thoughts on the issue.  I will try to give an opinion of what would be the fairest structure for the whole rather than the one which would suit be, I hope there will not be any bias.  To be fair to all in a satellite with no antes (personal note, I literally don't care if there are antes or are not antes in a MTT, it's all about adjusting to if they are or are not there) I think if needs to be faster early and slower later.  Someone asked me about this on Lambo's Twitch chatroom and I said in a pithy manner 'make it a 10k starting but start the blinds at 50/100.'  tbh I don't think I was too far off the mark, I might even go more extreme, forget about the change to the starting and just start at 50/100 from a 5k starting, so everyone starts on 50bb.  I can't find the later structure now but I would slow down the blind increases massively to account on starting shallow.

Satellites are completely different from a normal MTT.  There is no reason to play a hand unless there is something worth winning.  The early levels in that structure are for the most part, from people with even a rudimentary understanding of satellite poker, are who can wait for QQ+ or flop sets best.  And that's completely the optimal way to play a sat that deep with no antes.  Obviously there will always be a few who just want to play hands but for the most part everyone folds.  And everyone folds until we get to a 20bbish stack, and nearly everyone is still in.  Now because no one has played a hand for 90 minutes or so, everyone is bunched around 20bb apart from a select few who were the beneficiaries of a cooler/maniac play in the early going.  This is when it becomes a crapshoot because now it's who flips best and suddenly you have to go from hibernation to full throttle because the blind increases are effectively (compared to the average amount of BBs in a stack) much bigger than in the early levels, just when stacks are shallower.

In short, give people something to fight for early, a bigger percentage of their stack in the middle in the form of the blinds.  Make people play.  This benefits both the better aggressive tournament players and the recreational players because the more times you have to put those chips in the middle, the more variance will play a part so if it's a rec's hot night and they play well (which many do), they are on the plane to Vegas.  The only people this hurts are the much more conservative No Limit Texas Fold'em Regs, some of which will no doubt rubbish my opinion.  Which is cool.  But I think less so called 'play' early but more 'play' later is the most level playing field and fairest way to run a no ante satty.
  • edited March 2015
    I should probably also note 'You pay you money, you take your chances.'  I knew the satty structures before I started and I completely accepted them.  The above post is not a complaint on the structure, just an opinion on it.  I will still be plugging away at them and I do not think at this stage they should be changed if they have been advertised.
  • edited March 2015
    Amazing month TommyD and good luck for April.
  • edited March 2015

.....so, no opinion on the all in pre flop sats then. Pfft.
  • edited March 2015
    .....so, no opinion on the all in pre flop sats then. Pfft.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Haha

Never played them mate, while I am a satellite callgirl I am not an overlay chaser.  Seem like great fun though :)
  • edited March 2015
    Amazing month TommyD and good luck for April.
    Posted by TimmyRaRa
    Thank you very much Timmy, here's to hoping, gl to you too.
  • edited March 2015
    Looking forward to tomorrows diary!  #justsaying   ;-))
  • edited April 2015
    Hey Tommy - How did you get on not playing cash again in March ;-)

Seriously though, enjoying the diary, very good read. So are you now officially a 'poker pro' or still 'between jobs' / 'on a break' type thing?

I guess the money you made this month is slightly better than a teachers wage and tax free!

All the best

Greg.
  • edited April 2015
    Looking forward to tomorrows diary!  #justsaying   ;-))
    Posted by Glenelg
    Haha.  Gonna do it now to close out March.

So I decided to have a little fun and play in the cash challenge thing with Neil Channing.  I only did the one table as doing both would be unfair to others equally keen to TV Tart.  Despite a relapse over the last few weeks I haven't really gone out of my way to do so for a good long while, but I fancied a bit of fun with the Ambo.

I ended up down £20 but it was a good ol laugh.  I'm posting the hand I decided to pull out early at the bottom.

Donked in and out of a few MTTs, no returns.  Many grumbly sighs on that front.

So to close out the final figures for March:

March 2015

Total Profit/loss:  +£7742.42  

DYMs:  - £502.40
             Cash:  + £10,183.74
             MTT:  - £1414.92

Total VLV spend to date:  £2231.20 - (£1347 in cash returns) = £884.20

Ok to the hand.  So in this challenge they have one bullet of £100.  I turned my hand into a bluff, it's very early in the session and I don't think myself and Neil have played many hands together in the past.  I can give my thinking on it later but rest assured, I am turning my pair into a bluff.  Wasn't sure if I went behind on the turn or the river but I felt it was one of them.  So I'm trying to get a King, a Queen or even KQ to fold here.  Even if I have misread I think a bare 6 doesn't like its spot, and to be truthful neither does medium flushes under the one bullet/TV show condition.

Thoughts, as always, most welcome.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    UP Small blind  £0.25 £0.25 £121.57
    TommyD Big blind  £0.50 £0.75 £100.81
      Your hole cards

supercrazy Fold     
    hurloon1 Fold     
    NChanning Raise  £1.00 £1.75 £94.25
    rancid Call  £1.00 £2.75 £102.57
    UP Call  £0.75 £3.50 £120.82
    TommyD Call  £0.50 £4.00 £100.31
    Flop

UP Check     
    TommyD Check     
    NChanning Bet  £2.00 £6.00 £92.25
    rancid Fold     
    UP Fold     
    TommyD Call  £2.00 £8.00 £98.31
    Turn

• K

TommyD Check     
    NChanning Bet  £6.00 £14.00 £86.25
    TommyD Call  £6.00 £20.00 £92.31
    River

• Q

TommyD Check     
    NChanning Bet  £20.00 £40.00 £66.25
    TommyD All-in  £92.31 £132.31 £0.00
    NChanning All-in  £66.25 £198.56 £0.00
    TommyD Unmatched bet  £6.06 £192.50 £6.06
    TommyD Show

NChanning Show

NChanning Win Flush to the Queen £190.70
  • edited April 2015
    Hey Tommy - How did you get on not playing cash again in March ;-) Seriously though, enjoying the diary, very good read. So are you now officially a 'poker pro' or still 'between jobs' / 'on a break' type thing? I guess the money you made this month is slightly better than a teachers wage and tax free! All the best Greg.
    Posted by GREGSTER
    tyvm Gregster.

Yeah, weirdly I think I have offended someone one Skype by playing again in March at cash, gonna leave the details of that (they were not on the cash table at all) but it is basically 'Gambler decides to not quit as long as he said' headline.  Not really surprising.  I little bit flummoxed by this person but they've had a really hard day so I am hoping it's all transference.

Anyway, yeah as I said above I just wanted to have some fun, I usually multi table a lot more than I played.  And it was a great laugh.

I'm 'between things' in truth.  I will probably be between things for a while, although the things I am between may change.

gl gl Greg
  • edited April 2015
    What was this cash challenge thing? 
  • edited April 2015
    What was this cash challenge thing? 
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    New format on the Sky TV show.  Two guests sit at a MC 50nl table, have to sit with £100 and that's their lot for the challenge so only the one bullet over a 90 minute (or busto) time limit.  They have a Top Gear style leaderboard and are doing it over a few weeks I think.
  • edited April 2015
    Hi Mr D. Well it seems you are doing well being between things. Find it really interesting that one of the best players on the site suffers from a bit of a lack of confidence (think I read that in your diary). I am sure you will turn the MTT form around in UKOPS, the best players always come good at the big events.

All the best.

Greg.
  • edited April 2015
    .  Wasn't sure if I went behind on the turn or the river but I felt it was one of them.  
    Posted by TommyD
    REALLY enjoyed the show last night . 
    On the hand think you're behind on flop but ahead on turn?   I DON'T play much cash at these levels but I was surprised not to see a hefty check raise on turn?   I think at this stage in the challenge Neil will find a fold?  There were so many hands I can't recall what Neil said.  He was quite forthright in most of his views last night.
  • edited April 2015
    hmmm

you don't seem to have defined your hand at all
    c/c c/c c/s at nl4 would be the nuts but at MC nl50?
    i think c/r the turn or just lead on the river might have more chance of getting respect

#lolz trying to give advice to tommyd for cash play
    what i meant to say is that I'd have thought you could make him sweat a bit more by giving him earlier decisions than just an all or nothing on the river

• edited April 2015
    hmmm you don't seem to have defined your hand at all c/c c/c c/s at nl4 would be the nuts but at MC nl50? i think c/r the turn or just lead on the river might have more chance of getting respect #lolz trying to give advice to tommyd for cash play what i meant to say is that I'd have thought you could make him sweat a bit more by giving him earlier decisions than just an all or nothing on the river
    Posted by GELDY
    Lolz  I felt the same when I was typing but the poor guy has struggled in March so we ALL need to rally round with advice.

;-)
  • edited April 2015
    On the hand, I didn't think I needed to raise the turn, felt I was probably ahead although the K is not a great card for us.  I also thought with the challenge and all he'd check back a lot of his flush draws at that stage.  Raising the turn just doesn't look that credible as a bluff to me, I'm repping 6x or 77 there which is somewhat thin and I don't really need to bluff.  Also hard to get called by worse if I raise the turn for value.

Not saying I played the hand great btw, just what I was thinking.  And everyone should give me advice, I'm just a button clicker after all.
  • edited April 2015
    hmmm you don't seem to have defined your hand at all c/c c/c c/s at nl4 would be the nuts
    Posted by GELDY
    Hmmm, there's about the limit of my poker thinking powers!

It's always interesting to read the thoughts on hands from the likes of TommyD... one day some of it might even start to sink in and help me improve :)

Great posts as always and good luck with month 2 of the hunt for Vegas packages!
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : New format on the Sky TV show.  Two guests sit at a MC 50nl table, have to sit with £100 and that's their lot for the challenge so only the one bullet over a 90 minute (or busto) time limit.  They have a Top Gear style leaderboard and are doing it over a few weeks I think.
    Posted by TommyD
    Ah OK thanks. Gutted I don't have sky sports, would have loved to watch + participate in that!!

As for my thoughts on the hand - in theory, I like the play. It's the worst hand we get to the river with and we do block one FH. However, facing a river pot bet would change my mind on the decision to bluff. I think w/o much history it's unlikely to be any sort of merge thin value bet and is way more likely to either be a bluff (maybe with AsJx type hand) or a value hand - flushes and boats. Obviously he's not folding a boat here so it becomes a qn of whether he's folding his flushes - in a random game, he may well fold his flushes in this spot. But given it's for this TV thing and he knows people are more likely to bluff him + he knows your reputation as a great player on sky I think he'll talk himself into a call even with low flushes like the one he showed up with. So yeah I fold and don't worry too much about having no bluffing range in this exact spot - had you played for a lot longer and been percieved very nitty then maybe you can think about the bluff.
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Ah OK thanks. Gutted I don't have sky sports, would have loved to watch + participate in that!! As for my thoughts on the hand - in theory, I like the play. It's the worst hand we get to the river with and we do block one FH. However, facing a river pot bet would change my mind on the decision to bluff. I think w/o much history it's unlikely to be any sort of merge thin value bet and is way more likely to either be a bluff (maybe with AsJx type hand) or a value hand - flushes and boats. Obviously he's not folding a boat here so it becomes a qn of whether he's folding his flushes - in a random game, he may well fold his flushes in this spot. But given it's for this TV thing and he knows people are more likely to bluff him + he knows your reputation as a great player on sky I think he'll talk himself into a call even with low flushes like the one he showed up with. So yeah I fold and don't worry too much about having no bluffing range in this exact spot - had you played for a lot longer and been percieved very nitty then maybe you can think about the bluff.
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    Was a lovely show man, defo worth getting involved.  Tough if you can't get Sky Sports though and of course I would never advocate googling to get an illegal stream of a pay for channel.  Actually, I really wouldn't, the GF did that once to watch a Toon match and managed to get so much naked lady pop ups/Trojans/adware on the laptop it took me ages to secure it again.  So you know, either really beware or borrow a laptop from someone you don't like.

On the hand, great points.  I have gone back and forth a few times on if I like that bluff.  Here's the thing with the river action.  I should never be bluffing over that pot bet, offering those odds to call and as we both know this, so as such I think I should be bluffing sometimes and can't have a zero bluff range against a player who will soon pick up on this.  In my experience an exact pot bet on the river means different things from different people.  I put Neil in the category of 'have a strong but not super nutted hand,' if he had the nut flush or houses/quads I think the bet is still chunky but it'll either be an overbet for me to level myself or around the 16/17 mark to give me room to not only value jam but to bluff over the top.  So I thought at the time it was KQ, AA all the way up to medium flushes.  So I am check/jamming in a spot where I shouldn't really ever be bluffing against a strong but rarely nutted range.  Gotta be the goods right?  ;)

Or maybe I was just button clicking and as ever, I like to put people in tough spots for my own darkly sick enjoyment.  And yes I have just levelled myself into liking the bluff again, that'll change back to hating it the next time I think about it.

But I totally concede in a vacuum probably the best decision on the end is to fold.