You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.

Comments

• edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.:
    This was the picture which was hung on the wall over my bed for many years.  Loved it.  Gentleman of the game and one of the finest ever seen not only at The Lane but on any football pitch.  Could teach the present generation of footballers what it is to be tough yet honourable. RIP Dave MacKay
    Posted by TommyD
    Some say the best player ever to play for Spurs! 
    R.I.P
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Some say the best player ever to play for Spurs!  R.I.P
    Posted by macapaca
    Easily in my all time first XI and probably captain.  Close between him a Steve Perryman but I think I would give it to MacKay.  Might have to list out my all time Spurs XI one day here.
  • edited March 2015
    I dislike folding full houses intensely.  This is probably a very exploitable fold, luckily it's not a fold I make often.  Throwing in a hand history for people you point and laugh at me about.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    TommyD Small blind  £1.00 £1.00 £316.30
    BBBig blind  £2.00 £3.00 £75.71
      Your hole cards

UTG Raise  £4.00 £7.00 £269.15
    C/O Fold     
    Button Fold     
    TommyD Call  £3.00 £10.00 £313.30
    BB Call  £2.00 £12.00 £73.71
    Flop

• A
    • J

TommyD Check     
    BB Check     
    UTG Check     
    Turn

• Q

TommyD Bet  £8.00 £20.00 £305.30
    BB Fold     
    UTG Call  £8.00 £28.00 £261.15
    River

• J

TommyD Bet  £22.00 £50.00 £283.30
    UTG Raise  £74.00 £124.00 £187.15
    TommyD Fold     
    UTG Muck     
    UTG Win  £70.20  £257.35
    UTGReturn  £52.00
  • edited March 2015
    So despite folding full houses, made a decent fist of the start of the month.  Only played a couple more VLV games with no joy.  Rebuy night was an utter blow up from me, had a few shots late on and every game just crumbled into nothingness.  Which was disappointing.  Cash is ticking along ok, stringing along some small winning sessions and keeping me nosing along.

March 2015

Points so Far:  3650
    Total Profit/loss so far:  +£1717.70  (have pre bought in for £667 worth of the VLV satty tree, these figures reflect these unplayed events).
             DYMs:  - £18
             Cash:  + £1753.20
             MTT:  -£65
             HU SnG:  + £47.50

Total VLV spend to date:  £820.20 - (£317 in cash returns) = £503.20
  • edited March 2015
    So despite folding full houses, made a decent fist of the start of the month.  Only played a couple more VLV games with no joy.  Rebuy night was an utter blow up from me, had a few shots late on and every game just crumbled into nothingness.  Which was disappointing.  Cash is ticking along ok, stringing along some small winning sessions and keeping me nosing along. March 2015 Points so Far:  3650 Total Profit/loss so far:  +£1717.70  (have pre bought in for £667 worth of the VLV satty tree, these figures reflect these unplayed events).          DYMs:  - £18          Cash:  + £1753.20          MTT:  -£65          HU SnG:  + £47.50 Total VLV spend to date:  £820.20 - (£317 in cash returns) = £503.20
    Posted by TommyD
    Very impressive numbers, Tomnmy, us mere mortals can only gawp in amazement. Love how prudent you have been in taking your VLV spend up front, too.

Was great to see you at UKPC.

Like you, I was hugely saddened by the loss of Dave Mackay, a real man's man. Quite surprised to see you mention Steve Perryman in the same class, though.

Perryman opened a chain of sports goods stores at one time, mainly in West London. Some say his claim to greatness was playing an astonishing 854 games for Spurs, but of course the pinnacle of his career was being Brentford Player-Manager, something which every footballer must surely aspire to? 

• edited March 2015
    Good to see the diary back. Saw you managed a 2nd in the £55bh speed on Tuesday, vwp sir. Keep trying hard and maybe you can get a win in it soon
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Very impressive numbers, Tomnmy, us mere mortals can only gawp in amazement. Love how prudent you have been in taking your VLV spend up front, too. Was great to see you at UKPC. Like you, I was hugely saddened by the loss of Dave Mackay, a real man's man. Quite surprised to see you mention Steve Perryman in the same class, though. Perryman opened a chain of sports goods stores at one time, mainly in West London. Some say his claim to greatness was playing an astonishing 854 games for Spurs, but of course the pinnacle of his career was being Brentford Player-Manager, something which every footballer must surely aspire to?   
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thanks Mr K.  Was lovely to see you too at DTD.  One of these days I will have to sit in that DC game.

Here's the thing with Perryman.  I'm not sure if he is in my all time first XI, but if you pick him to get the best out of him you have to make him captain imo.  He needed that armband to really give him an extra focus.  Dave MacKay doesn't need it, in fact he would be a captain on the field with or without an armband and he's one of the very first on the team sheet for me where as Perryman is a maybe.

Being player/manager for Brentford is a role I dream about every night.  Every single one.
  • edited March 2015
    Good to see the diary back. Saw you managed a 2nd in the £55bh speed on Tuesday, vwp sir. Keep trying hard and maybe you can get a win in it soon
    Posted by MattBates
    Grrrr.  I won it on the 1st though.  And I believe you came 2nd then.  And when I say 2nd there, I clearly mean second out.
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Grrrr.  I won it on the 1st though.  And I believe you came 2nd then.  And when I say 2nd there, I clearly mean second out.
    Posted by TommyD
    Hehe! So glad the diary's back Tommy, love it!
    GL Getting the packages :D
  • edited March 2015
    Life News

Man goes out for curry then beer.  Hang over is the result.

We all have a friend with a questionable concept when it comes to the shades of grey in morality.  Especially when said friend has had a few drinks.  After curry and pub number one, myself and a few good friends moved onto pub number two, this is now gone midnight and I am not quite at full sobriety.  Now I got this friend, he's a really good guy.  Great company, very funny, however isn't quite sure where the edges of taste and decency are, especially after the second round of shots.  So I toddle off to the Gents, leaving him and a couple of others at the bar.  This was my first error.  I wander back lighter in body yet still lighter in head and suddenly I hear him yell 'And here he is' to a few women I had never seen before.  Suddenly these ladies start asking about my health and tell me how brave I am.  Weird.  I soon found out that my friend had decided to convince a passing group of lovely young ladies that I had leukemia and that the outlook was quite bleak.  Now how do you respond to this?  I am not joking, these ladies were hooked completely, he does have the gift of being exceptionally convincing.  So guess what, I had no choice but to play along and plan a revenge for a later date.  Was an interesting night.  I am expecting some cards in the mail.

The Saturday grind was tough.  Managed to bag the £3.2k Vegas final seat which was useful, had up and down cash sessions but generally in the upward direction.  The rest of the MTTs were an absolute blow out.

So pre the big old Sunday session, here is where we are:

March 2015

Points so Far:  5585
    Total Profit/loss so far:  +£2262.75  (have pre bought in for £590 worth of the VLV satty tree, these figures reflect these unplayed events).
             Cash:  + £2135.62
             MTT:  + £97.63

Total VLV spend to date:  £872.20 - (£667 in cash returns) = £205.50
  • edited March 2015
    Been a while since I have updated my progress so I'm gonna quickly get into that now for you, then it'll be all about the unique event which actually made me miss a Saturday night/Sunday morning at the cash tables.  Yes something has to be pretty epic to make me go to bed around half eleven on a Saturday night.  And sadly no it does not involve member of The Saturdays/Girls Aloud/Bewitched/The Nolans (select girl group applicable for yourself as appropriate).

But first, the poker.  I haven't updated because not too much out of the ordinary has happened.  Peaks and troughs abound.  Cash has been in general a gentle upward curve.  MTTs I have gone a little stale.  I suffer from disconnecting with them occasionally, like I am not really part of the game.  I try to not mix cash and MTTs too much in a session, but lately I have been playing light MTT sessions and if I don't seem to find immediate success I go a little slumpy in the shoulders and start to have one eye on the cash lobby, wanting the session to end so I can fire up a few cash tables.  This happens from time to time, it generally comes around in the end.  VLV chasing has been the stop/start first car you buy which sometimes hums down the motorway and other times makes a weird clicking sound before enveloping you in smoke.  Nearest I have come lately was a 12th in the VLV Leaderboard freeroll.  That was a little disappointing but at least I made £200 towards the cause.  Hopefully I will find renewed rigour in the pursuit starting from tonight.

March 2015

Points so Far:  12437
    Total Profit/loss so far:  +£3678.26  (have pre bought in for £350 worth of the VLV satty tree, these figures reflect these unplayed events).
             Cash:  + £3867.04
             MTT:  - £218.28

Total VLV spend to date:  £976.20 - (£867 in cash returns) = £109.20

So to the matter of the day.  It's football.  But no, not watching.  It's playing.  To update recent followers here (thank you very much for reading) I have played in the same Sunday League side for around 15 years.  Now despite some people, mainly little Matt Bates, telling me I am too old for this and should spend my mornings knitting in a corner instead, I am still going strong.  Now we used to be utterly awful but a whole lot of fun.  We were your typical bad pub side, with a variety of self induced conditions on a Sunday morning resulting in hammering after hammering.  This year though, we're actually not too bad and today is a cup semi final.  I can't believe it to be honest, it used to be saying 'I've got to get involved with a semi in the morning' meant something completely different.  We've even got league appointed linesmen.  It's living the dream.

I've been in and out of the side lately having the odd knock, hopefully I am in today.  Fingers crossed and maybe, just maybe, JG Chingford are on the way to Wembley! (Editors note:  Ok the final isn't at Wembley, but 'On the way to a training pitch Leyton Orient use' doesn't have the same ring to it).

Happy grinding all.
  • edited March 2015
    Really hoping you are in today tommy. #livingthedream
  • edited March 2015
    Nice post, good luck today Tommy!
  • edited March 2015
  • edited March 2015
    Sigh and double sigh.  No joy on a variety of levels.

First up, I didn't start.  They called in a lad who has played a few times for us before, not a ringer as he's all signed up and everything.  He's a good player and all that but I am obviously gutted.  Now what does he bring that I don't?  Well that was made clear in the 60th minute.  There's a bit of bad blood between my lot and the team we were playing, after a bad tackle went in suddenly everyone is involved in a ruck by the side lines.  Now just as it's calming down the guy who took my place, while trotting back to his position, decided to give a certain very vocal member of their team a bit of a squeeze on the, ahem, low hanging plums.  Now I can offer a team a lot in terms of effort and I'm all for letting them know who you are, but I don't offer that sort of man to man marking without at least getting bought dinner first.

Game was thrown away in the first 30 minutes when we went 4-0 down.  I came on with 15 left at 4-2 and it finished an agonising 4-3, we had a couple of chances to equalize as well.  Meh and sigh and etc.  We still have a good shout to win the league though so season isn't done yet.

Now to focus on the mammoth Sunday Grind, a whole different way to get it in the balls.
  • edited March 2015
    Life news

Just topped up my karma somewhat.  My neighbour on the left, the defo a wild child in her time Kate gave us a shout a few days ago and asked me to get her online.  She hasn't had the internet for ten years since she worked from home and had a wired connection.  Then she retired, at age 73.  She wants to have a tablet and do things like pay the gas bill online and have a surf (I imagine a flirtation with online bingo may well be in the offing as well).  Anyways, you would be staggered how little you can do without an email address.  We are so reliant on them now it's like they are our own personal index numbers.

So after chatting to a lovely Geordie for twenty minutes and many passing back and forth of the phone she'll be online in a week.  I might teach her poker so she can take down a few regs.  We're going shopping for ipads tomorrow in a hot date situation, I might put on a suit.
  • edited March 2015
    Poker update

In a mental funk.  The pursuit of VLV has stalled somewhat and I am still getting super bored far too early in MTTs.  Luckily tonight is rebuy night and I always make sure that is never dull.  It might be what I need to kick start the spark again for MTTs.  I'm a little less than £5k short of the magical and mystic £100k profit lifetime on Sky MTTs, a figure which has been on my mind and to be honest somewhat distracting.  I just want to get over that number and put it to bed at this point, basically collapse over the line.

Got my backside handed to me somewhat over a short £210 HU SnG session, losing 3-1 to a reg.  I didn't run well, I also didn't play to the level I expect from myself.  I intend to make a run at the SnG VLV £3.2k package leaderboard in the last week of the month.  It'll be competitive, but it's the only free week I really have to go at it and a few of the reggy regs will already have qualified.  I just need to keep the attitude positive and basically do myself justice, that's all I really ask from myself from poker, the variance is the uncontrollable fact you just take on the chin.

March 2015

Points so Far:  14798
    Total Profit/loss so far:  +£4694.73  (have pre bought in for £350 worth of the VLV satty tree, these figures reflect these unplayed events).
             Cash:  + £5359.67
             MTT:  - £254.44
             HU SnG:  - £392.50

Total VLV spend to date:  £1268.20 - (£1107 in cash returns) = £161.2
  • edited March 2015
    Enjoying the updates Tommy! Some month at Cash you've had - what stakes have you been playing?
  • edited March 2015
    Enjoying the updates Tommy! Some month at Cash you've had - what stakes have you been playing?
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    Cheers mate.  Been dancing back and forth between 50nl and 400nl, however most of my table have been 100nl and 200nl.  Just what ever is running tbh.  Also the month isn't over, I've crashed and burnt out grand after grand before.  My style is somewhat volatile.
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Cheers mate.  Been dancing back and forth between 50nl and 400nl, however most of my table have been 100nl and 200nl.  Just what ever is running tbh.  Also the month isn't over, I've crashed and burnt out grand after grand before.  My style is somewhat volatile.
    Posted by TommyD

saw some great play of yours on the show last night. impressive lay down. shame we're going to lose the opportunity to learn from the best. 

• edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : saw some great play of yours on the show last night. impressive lay down. shame we're going to lose the opportunity to learn from the best. 
    Posted by GELDY
    Hey Geldster!!

Thanks, I didn't play bad last night.  I decided in honour of the closing of 861 to have one last TV tart session, haven't actually done that for a couple of years really but I still have the rep so I thought, why not?  For old times sake :)

1)  We don't know what the new format is yet, let's give it a chance.  Fingers crossed it will move on to bigger and better.

2)  While I know you weren't talking about me with the 'best' line, I am considering a couple of things along those lines.  I have been coaching a couple of people lately and have several PMs on FB and here about doing it more often from a variety of people.  I am seriously considering moving that way to be honest.  And you know, this Twitch thing might have something in it, if I can get the rear in gear, maybe I'll have a channel and do some bits.  The title will probably be Lol_Pro TV.
  • edited March 2015
    Impressive figures Tommy!  Are you extending the sabbatical?  Also, which do you prefer..cash, Mtt or SNg's? 
  • edited March 2015
    Impressive figures Tommy!  Are you extending the sabbatical?  Also, which do you prefer..cash, Mtt or SNg's? 
    Posted by Glenelg
    Hey mate

I am still having a relaxing sabbat.  I have a feeling at this point it is somewhat open ended.  I don't prefer any set format but I do prefer variety.  I get easily bored plodding the same format too long so I always enjoy switching things around from time to time.
  • edited March 2015

March update

Still as it was.  Still haven't focussing in on MTTs but only played the rebuy session since my last update.  I think I finalled the mini but I didn't close it out, which bugs me.  Oh I forgot to let you guys know how the big special super douper multi million on Stars went.  I didn't make the antes.  Had an special hand about three levels in.  Playing a bit less that starting we get to the turn with AhTh on 2269hhh, so the nut flush on a paired board.  With around 8k from the 10k starting back we are heads up playing for his effective stack of 7.5k.  He's played this so face up, he has AA or KK.  He decided to jam over my bet and we call in fabulous shape.  He has KK.  River K.  Goodbye dream.  Got the last of it in with AK v 44 or something like that a few hands later.  Was slightly perturbing.

So yeah, still generally going in the right direction.  Had another funny old night at cash playing 200nl where I got in five buy ins in five different spots with equity ranging between 60% and 80%, managed to shoot zero for five but that happens, I would be a fool to say I wasn't running above expectation this month.  Plus since then (I think that was Weds night) I've ran ok and got back ahead of where I was.

In VLV news the only real ticket I have so far is for the £3.2k final for this month, it would be most pleasant to convert that.  Or already have that seat by winning the last SnG leaderboard.  Countdown for those two avenues is getting closer and closer to zero.

March 2015

Points so Far:  16419
    Total Profit/loss so far:  +£5714.76  (have pre bought in for £350 worth of the VLV satty tree, these figures reflect these unplayed events).
             Cash:  + £6409.70
             MTT:  - £284.44

Total VLV spend to date:  £1320.20 - (£1107 in cash returns) = £213.20

• edited March 2015
    Sick month Tommy Keep it up.
    Really enjoying the diary.
  • edited March 2015
    Sick month Tommy Keep it up. Really enjoying the diary.
    Posted by TimmyRaRa
    Cheers Timmy, doing my best to keep everything plodding along.
  • edited March 2015
    Poker Update

Still waiting for the MTT brain to click into place.  Getting grouchy while I play them, punting it off too much and part the reason of my negativity, running pretty bad in tournaments.  My attitude in them absolutely stinks though at the moment, I'm not engaged, I'm not even trying to unlock them at this point.  I need to reread 'The Mental Game' again I think, I'm acting like a seven year old child arms folded at Sunday Lunch, stubbornly refusing to eat his greens.  The plan is to set up a good old fashioned grind-a-thon in them today, Sunday is MTT day and if I can man up (or person up to be PC) and have the right attitude I'll be playing a big schedule today here and elsewhere.  And maybe if I get my head straight and stop being an idiot about them I might just run a little better.  I am determined to find my focus in them.

In cash I am running obscenely above expectation.  Basically flopping lots of sets.  I was around £2k up in my Saturday night session last night and I decided to move down the levels from the 400nl and 300nl to the 100nl purely because I didn't think I was playing particularly well, just smashing the deck.  The £200 or so I won there felt I more rewarding because I was playing much closer to where I can play rather than just being a fish on a heater.

Good luck Sunday grinding all, happy roller day.

March 2015

Points so Far:  18626
    Total Profit/loss so far:  +£8834.52  (have pre bought in for £350 worth of the VLV satty tree, these figures reflect these unplayed events).
             Cash:  + £9503.59
             MTT:  - £258.57

Total VLV spend to date:  £1372.20 - (£1107 in cash returns) = £265.20
  • edited March 2015

Stunning numbers Tommy, absolutely stunning.
  • edited March 2015
    Wobble time.  I was due a turn of fortune, came in full force over the last couple of days.  Despite a third in the Mini Sunday the MTT day was pretty much a washout.  Didn't play badly, just found myself in some ridiculous spots and James Bond filmesc run outs.  Shrug shoulders, it happens.  Rinse and repeat for day 1 of going for the VLV SnG promo.  I don't think I played great but it was certainly a day of running -ev.  To make matters worse there seems to be stiff competition this week.  I played nearly every game with JMcCririck (I'm pretty sure it's not that one).  They of course ran dreamy by the looks of things but these always look different from one side of the fence than the other.  I loved the little mind games thrown my way as well.  How many hours they are gonna play, their mega cool and as the kids say 'sick' set up, yadda yadda yadda, heard everything before.  Most of it is probably true, it doesn't really matter to me though.  He/she are probably a favourite to win it tbh, I don't think I won Day 1.  But I have options, I may have to make a run at the £100+ hypers versus the regs who have that as their strongest game while it is clearly my weakest.  Decision time tomorrow, time to grab a few hours of sleep then up and at 'em for round 2.

March 2015

Points so Far:  25401
    Total Profit/loss so far:  +£7813.35  (have pre bought in for £350 worth of the VLV satty tree, these figures reflect these unplayed events).
             DYMs:  - £534.50
             Cash:  + £9384.67
             MTT:  - £709.32
             HU SnG:  - £327.50
  • edited March 2015
    Only just caught up with your Diary Tommy and have to say I am hugely impressed by your figures. The cash winnings are awesome - also being a master at cash must be nice as you're rightly recognised as one of the very best MTTs players on the site!

It is also a little comforting to see that someone as good as you can also run badly at the MTTs. Whilst nowhere near your league I have been having a bad old time at them for ages now. It's been a long time since I ran deep in any of the bigger ones and I am struggling to keep the 'profit' graph from turning into the outline of a mountain! I know that mine is not all down to 'run bad' and I have not been playing well for a number of reasons, but not having confidence that any hand will hold up does make the game tougher.

I nearly ran well the other day when I had AQ v QQ AIP then managed to flop the ace! Yippee some run good for me! It didn't even last for the next two cards as the case Q came down on the river! Ho Hum.

I hope that some good MTT form returns (for both of us) and good luck with the VLV qualification. I have no doubt you'll get there.