You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.

Comments

• edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.:
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Hmmm, there's about the limit of my poker thinking powers! It's always interesting to read the thoughts on hands from the likes of TommyD... one day some of it might even start to sink in and help me improve :) Great posts as always and good luck with month 2 of the hunt for Vegas packages!
    Posted by shakinaces
    Cheers man.  Don't tell anyone, but I got a good feeling about VLV this month.  Shhhh, keep it under ya hat.
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Ah OK thanks. Gutted I don't have sky sports, would have loved to watch + participate in that!! As for my thoughts on the hand - in theory, I like the play. It's the worst hand we get to the river with and we do block one FH. However, facing a river pot bet would change my mind on the decision to bluff. I think w/o much history it's unlikely to be any sort of merge thin value bet and is way more likely to either be a bluff (maybe with AsJx type hand) or a value hand - flushes and boats. Obviously he's not folding a boat here so it becomes a qn of whether he's folding his flushes - in a random game, he may well fold his flushes in this spot. But given it's for this TV thing and he knows people are more likely to bluff him + he knows your reputation as a great player on sky I think he'll talk himself into a call even with low flushes like the one he showed up with. So yeah I fold and don't worry too much about having no bluffing range in this exact spot - had you played for a lot longer and been percieved very nitty then maybe you can think about the bluff.
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    Pretty harsh being so sarcastic when its his diary
  • edited April 2015
    Opps, just realised something which may have come off as a bit rude in these posts regarding that hand and is totally unintentional.

Neil's call is a very good one.  He correctly surmised that I have a bluff range in this spot and that I would be putting pressure on him in these conditions.  He also has towards the top end of the range I was trying to put under pressure.  Throw in the odds offered on the end, it's a very good call and a well played hand from him. 
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Pretty harsh being so sarcastic when its his diary
    Posted by MattBates
    Want a prop bet on who can get the highest score in the Rebuy tonight?  Got a good feeling tonight I'll finally break 200.
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Want a prop bet on who can get the highest score in the Rebuy tonight?  Got a good feeling tonight I'll finally break 200.
    Posted by TommyD
    You will just rebuy the most to spite me even at the risk of losing all your cash profits from March!
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : You will just rebuy the most to spite me even at the risk of losing all your cash profits from March!
    Posted by MattBates
    Man, if I had to I would take out a Wonga loan ;)
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Was a lovely show man, defo worth getting involved.  Tough if you can't get Sky Sports though and of course I would never advocate googling to get an illegal stream of a pay for channel.  Actually, I really wouldn't, the GF did that once to watch a Toon match and managed to get so much naked lady pop ups/Trojans/adware on the laptop it took me ages to secure it again.  So you know, either really beware or borrow a laptop from someone you don't like. On the hand, great points.  I have gone back and forth a few times on if I like that bluff.  Here's the thing with the river action.  I should never be bluffing over that pot bet, offering those odds to call and as we both know this, so as such I think I should be bluffing sometimes and can't have a zero bluff range against a player who will soon pick up on this.  In my experience an exact pot bet on the river means different things from different people.  I put Neil in the category of 'have a strong but not super nutted hand,' if he had the nut flush or houses/quads I think the bet is still chunky but it'll either be an overbet for me to level myself or around the 16/17 mark to give me room to not only value jam but to bluff over the top.  So I thought at the time it was KQ, AA all the way up to medium flushes.  So I am check/jamming in a spot where I shouldn't really ever be bluffing against a strong but rarely nutted range.  Gotta be the goods right?  ;) Or maybe I was just button clicking and as ever, I like to put people in tough spots for my own darkly sick enjoyment.  And yes I have just levelled myself into liking the bluff again, that'll change back to hating it the next time I think about it. But I totally concede in a vacuum probably the best decision on the end is to fold.
    Posted by TommyD
    Haha true that about illegal streams! Even if I wanted too watch on the laptop though, it's often more distracting trying to watch on the laptop whilst play poker on the same laptop. If it's on the tele, it seems easier to just keep one eye on it whilst maintaining focus on the poker. 

I went over the hand again and just thought of another reason why I'm not so keen on it - you basically have no KK and QQ in your range. You aren't c/jamming nut flush for value I don't think? (maybe you are, but w/o history seems kinda thin for 200bb given his pot bet can't be nut flush blocker anymore) so that leaves just 67 and 66 as value hands - 7 in total. And some of your 67 combos might raise earlier in the hand some % of the time - so you might just have 6 value combos by the river. (You could have more than 1 67 combo that you raise before river, but will leave it at 6 anyway) - you give Neil almost 2-1 on the river which means you need just under 3 value combos for every bluff you have. Given you have 6 value combos that leaves just 2 bluffs you can have - and you got to the river with just 75o here so you'll also have plenty of other 7x hands that are too weak to c/c river. So how do you decide which 7x you are bluffing with? If you do this with every 75 combo alone you are bluffing way too much compared to your value combos.

In game it's always hard to try and work out how many bluffs you could potentially have in spots and a lot of it is just done on intuition based on current gameflow and current image - among other things. With a solid image it's a spot where you can definitely have a bluff-range. 

Interesting that you think Neil can have KQ and AA with his PSB. I mean you have a decent amount of flushes and 6x in your range and not much that wants to call (KJ or AQ with a spade that floated the flop?) if your not calling 7x then your not calling 88-TT either so his KQ and AA is only getting value from the few KJ and AQ combos you may have. Your read about him having a medium flush as opposed to a very strong hand was good tho I guess and maybe that makes your bluff better. 

• edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : tyvm Gregster. Yeah, weirdly I think I have offended someone one Skype by playing again in March at cash, gonna leave the details of that (they were not on the cash table at all) but it is basically 'Gambler decides to not quit as long as he said' headline.  Not really surprising.  I little bit flummoxed by this person but they've had a really hard day so I am hoping it's all transference.
    Posted by TommyD

Looks like I missed out on some gossip :( That's the price I pay for Twitching and so not being able to login to skype.

Cracking month at the cash tables there Tommy. I've asked around for feedback about my Twitch for things people would like to see me do (ideally poker related) and the it seems that people want me to do a cash session so potential opportunity for you to do some more TV tarting soon ;)

GL with the VLV for April, gonna be making a proper effort this month, and gl with UKOPS.... unders or overs on £400 for the £50r main? :)
  • edited April 2015
    Amazing cash returns there, Tommy. I have a question for you. There is an interesting debate aboit the Blinds structure in the VLV Finals, here As you can see, some very good players have opposing views. What is your view? Please especially note that the structure has been advertised "as is" since day one, & to change it now would cause some grumbling. Leaving it "as is" will cause some grumbling, too.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Tikay why cant sky offer a variety of final structures then players can choose what avenue to go down that suits their game? so have a fast final and a slow final the following week.

thanks DrRunGood
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Looks like I missed out on some gossip :( That's the price I pay for Twitching and so not being able to login to skype. Cracking month at the cash tables there Tommy. I've asked around for feedback about my Twitch for things people would like to see me do (ideally poker related) and the it seems that people want me to do a cash session so potential opportunity for you to do some more TV tarting soon ;) GL with the VLV for April, gonna be making a proper effort this month, and gl with UKOPS.... unders or overs on £400 for the £50r main? :)
    Posted by Lambert180
    Cheers Lambo

And may I say, smoooooooooooooooooth plug for your Twitch channel.  It has been deecee viewing tbf.  If you need a second player and a second perspective to contribute for some cash action just give me a buzz, always up for a game and a TV Tart.

Easily taking the overs on £400 obv.  Man I go under that then I am counting it as a massive win.
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Tikay why cant sky offer a variety of final structures then players can choose what avenue to go down that suits their game? so have a fast final and a slow final the following week. thanks DrRunGood
    Posted by DrRunGood
    Hey DRG.  Or should it be DrRG.  It's like the Macs and Mcs, I never get those right.

To me because a FT is a rarity for the vast majority of people, I think sites as a whole should focus on decent play when you get there (in standard MTTs, not turbos/hypers etc).  So to me at least I think sites should consistently look for the 'plenty of play at the end' structure.

gl gl mate.
  • edited April 2015
    Ivan!!! Another great post on that hand.  Going back to hating my bluff.  Was sorta obsessed it was KQ in game, not sure why.  Starting to think I may have ranged him up incorrectly.  Bit tired now and to think of the hand again at this point just makes me dizzy.  I think it's the sort of move I should be pulling out but maybe not the right run out/player to do it against.  It'll have me wondering for a while longer, may revisit it again here.
  • edited April 2015
    Ever been waiting for the hammer to fall.  You know, you've taken you car in for the MOT and you're trying to pretend that clicking noise isn't anything and the fact it takes five tries to start it is just down to the cold weather?  Or when it's late at night in the country and there's a loud dog barking in the distant as you try to sleep in a cottage.  And it's not the barking which puts you on edge.  It's the waiting for the inevitable howl?  Kinda how I feel about the poker at the moment.  It's going well.  Too well.  Downswing is a coming, I've been running too good for too long.  Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.  Ok doesn't strictly apply here but it feels like that reaction will be straight in the naughty bits at full force.  I wait.  As ever on edge, I wait.

Finished 2nd in the MBI and cashed the main to put MTT returns in the black for the start of April.  Can't say I like the changes to the structure of the MBI or the 9pm.  In fact the 9pm feels, to me at least, so much worse and so much less play at all stages but especially the stages where it begins to matter.  Will try a few more times to assess if this is just me not adjusting to change or if my gut reaction is right.  And if it's the later, odds are I'll just drop it from the rotation, probably along with the MBI.  It would be a crying shame but we'll see.  Hopefully I will think differently on it after a few more times.

April 2015

Points so far:  1305
    Total Profit/loss:  +£1501.29  

DYMs:  -
             Cash:  + £1250.78
             MTT:  + £250.51
             HU SnG:  -

Total VLV spend to date:  £2231.20 - (£1347 in cash returns) = £884.20
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Hey DRG.  Or should it be DrRG.  It's like the Macs and Mcs, I never get those right. To me because a FT is a rarity for the vast majority of people, I think sites as a whole should focus on decent play when you get there (in standard MTTs, not turbos/hypers etc).  So to me at least I think sites should consistently look for the 'plenty of play at the end' structure. gl gl mate.
    Posted by TommyD
    Tommy I 100% agree with you I hate getting to final table and the avg stack is 11 or 12bb it takes edge of the better players. I also believe the final table is where you should see a better game played out by the best 6 players in that tournament that night not just shove with the ace or king and called by 55. I don't entirely agree with the 20bb start either tho as this means you could get done by a flip or flop (I liked that) early I prefer a faster structure but deeper stacks or vice versa and as you know im by no means a nit I like to move chips around but more time or deeper stacks will let a better player recover from a mishap or mistake. P.S.  I'm loving the new deeper stacks on sky as I believe better players who work on their game get more reward or in other words mattbates will get richer

Thanks DrRunGood 
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Thanks Pat, was great to see you too.  Sorry I didn't hang around longer but after sinking five bullets into that mini I decided it was time to hit the highway :)
    Posted by TommyD
    Finally got over to the folks to pick out some nice stuff.

Found a lovely refurnished and modelled room less 10 years plus of work related stuff.

I asked, where are the boxes I left here ?

Got a classic reply "ah Pat your too old for that stuff"

Long and short of it all donated to local charity. 

Sorry pal
  • edited April 2015
    Great results Tommy!  

Loving your work but would also like to know how your date went last week, second base?  ;)
  • edited April 2015
    Great results Tommy!   Loving your work but would also like to know how your date went last week, second base?  ;)
    Posted by Donttelmum
    Struck out, I heard.
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Tommy I 100% agree with you I hate getting to final table and the avg stack is 11 or 12bb it takes edge of the better players. I also believe the final table is where you should see a better game played out by the best 6 players in that tournament that night not just shove with the ace or king and called by 55. I don't entirely agree with the 20bb start either tho as this means you could get done by a flip or flop (I liked that) early I prefer a faster structure but deeper stacks or vice versa and as you know im by no means a nit I like to move chips around but more time or deeper stacks will let a better player recover from a mishap or mistake. P.S.   I' m loving the new deeper stacks on sky as I believe better players who work on their game get more reward or in other words mattbates will get richer Thanks DrRunGood 
    Posted by DrRunGood
    Well whatever it is you like, you did pretty well last night Dr - 4th place in the Main for about £500, was it?

Congrats.
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Well whatever it is you like, you did pretty well last night Dr - 4th place in the Main for about £500, was it? Congrats.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thanks Tikay I defo love the deeper stacks to begin keep up the good work ;) I played a hand dreadful final table or coulda got that 1st I think till the next time
  • edited April 2015
     I meant to post here before Tommy, but I loved your post on the structure of the VLV qualifiers so much that I felt like I ought to read the whole thread. Haven't quite found the time yet but I will.

I agreed 100% with you and it made me think about a long conversation I had with Craig McCorkell when he said that the WSOP should give more chips in the $1000 and $1500 events as the recreational players love more chips and the professionals would win more and they are supposed to be about finding World Champions. I was adamant that it would be terrible for the ecology of the event in the long run. The WSOP have decided he was right. I think they are very wrong.

Thought the new format went pretty well. It's not certain that it will remain the same and loads of emails went around last week on how to improve it. I'm looking forward to attempting to reply to them, but I'm also very keen to see the programme with my "outsider" eyes tomorrow.

I think it's massively important that the show has a fresh new feel that is different to C861 as I feel the audience on SS$ will be totally different.

Definitely good to get input from viewers and participants.
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Tommy I 100% agree with you I hate getting to final table and the avg stack is 11 or 12bb it takes edge of the better players. I also believe the final table is where you should see a better game played out by the best 6 players in that tournament that night not just shove with the ace or king and called by 55. I don't entirely agree with the 20bb start either tho as this means you could get done by a flip or flop (I liked that) early I prefer a faster structure but deeper stacks or vice versa and as you know im by no means a nit I like to move chips around but more time or deeper stacks will let a better player recover from a mishap or mistake. P.S.   I' m loving the new deeper stacks on sky as I believe better players who work on their game get more reward or in other words mattbates will get richer Thanks DrRunGood 
    Posted by DrRunGood
    Greetings Dr R to the G double O D

Glad you're enjoying the new structures.  I am not so keen, mainly because of the 9pm losing a lot of it's middle section play, or at least to me it is.  It feels worse to me but I must put in the caveat that I am also running and playing awful in Sky tournaments so while I hope that is not clouding my judgement, we must accept the possibility it is.

Either way, really pleased you're stringing some results together and enjoying it man!!
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Finally got over to the folks to pick out some nice stuff. Found a lovely refurnished and modelled room less 10 years plus of work related stuff. I asked, where are the boxes I left here ? Got a classic reply "ah Pat your too old for that stuff" Long and short of it all donated to local charity.  Sorry pal
    Posted by day4eire76
    Haha, no worries Pat, thanks for looking.

That reminds me of something my mum did with my Transformers comics back in the day.  For some reason she felt the need for more cupboard space but knew I would notice if she took a chunk off the top of THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK SERIES EVER (as I looked at it back then).  So using cunning only a mother can have, other a period of months she would slowly remove and dispose of a few a week taken from the middle of the pile.  I got a slight shock when I went back to reread them and suddenly my collection jumped from number 135 to 227.  Those comics are today are worth millions (in my mind).

Also, have you or anyone checked out the new Daredevil series on Netflix?  So darn good imo, the reason for my lack of grind over the last weekend was down to binge watching all 13 episodes.  For those people either not into comic book shows or tired of how many movies and shows are out there right now, it is exactly as the character Daredevil should be and that means hardly 'comic booky' at all.  It's closer to the likes of Carlito's Way, Serpico and the Sopranos.  Seriously, if you like Film Noir or Ganster/Crime drama, you may want to check it out.  And the one take hallway fight scene heavily influenced by the Korean film Oldboy is out of this world.  In the words of Homer Simpson, I give it 15 thumbs up.
  • edited April 2015
    Great results Tommy!   Loving your work but would also like to know how your date went last week, second base?  ;)
    Posted by Donttelmum
    Cheers DTM

My date with Kate next door went well.  However the second date not so much, she's given up on the iPad.  She is practically disabled now, with hardly any use of one of her hands and the other side has a shoulder injury and she is getting frustrated with the iPad.  I am looking into accessibility tools to help her (anyone know how we can leave Siri permanently on?) but it's a struggle.  Going in there again later on this week.
  • edited April 2015
    i played the 9pm BH last night for the first time with the new structure thanks to a satellite win. 

still finished at a sensible time so that was a plus for me (yes still later than I'd like but for a non turbo high quality tournie that starts at 9pm to be over before 2am is great).
    Don't remember how the mid stages were from a spr perspective but was pleasantly surprised that when we got to the FT we were 30bb deep iirc.
  • edited April 2015
     I meant to post here before Tommy, but I loved your post on the structure of the VLV qualifiers so much that I felt like I ought to read the whole thread. Haven't quite found the time yet but I will.  I agreed 100% with you and it made me think about a long conversation I had with Craig McCorkell when he said that the WSOP should give more chips in the $1000 and $1500 events as the recreational players love more chips and the professionals would win more and they are supposed to be about finding World Champions. I was adamant that it would be terrible for the ecology of the event in the long run. The WSOP have decided he was right. I think they are very wrong.  Thought the new format went pretty well. It's not certain that it will remain the same and loads of emails went around last week on how to improve it. I'm looking forward to attempting to reply to them, but I'm also very keen to see the programme with my "outsider" eyes tomorrow.  I think it's massively important that the show has a fresh new feel that is different to C861 as I feel the audience on SS$ will be totally different.  Definitely good to get input from viewers and participants.
    Posted by NChanning
    Hey Neil

Firstly don't feel the compulsion to read the whole thread.  At the moment the length and depth of my ramblings in this diary are mainly here to help prove mental instability if I ever need it in court.

Secondly, I think it's so wrong that 'recreational players love more chips.'  They want action.  And a more even playing field with shallower stacks early on and more preflop/flop committing action brings this about.  I am 100% am on your side of the argument with Mr McCorkell.  Have a few super deep WSOP events obviously like the Main, the Player's championship and the one low buy in monster or goliath (I forget the name of it, but it was one designed to be super deep at a low buy in, have on specifically that way and that's great). I always found it interesting that the One Drop seems to play faster than most of the other events, probably because the people buying into to these with most or all of their own money, i.e. rich people, not poker players, are also not stupid.  They want a more turbo feel because they know they have a better chance of getting a result and they'll get the action and entertainment they are after for their million/111k (depending on the year, only a 111k this year so I guess I'm gonna have to slum it).

On the show format, I hope you enjoying watching it tonight.  I hear an absolute fish is going on there.
  • edited April 2015
    i played the 9pm BH last night for the first time with the new structure thanks to a satellite win.  still finished at a sensible time so that was a plus for me (yes still later than I'd like but for a non turbo high quality tournie that starts at 9pm to be over before 2am is great). Don't remember how the mid stages were from a spr perspective but was pleasantly surprised that when we got to the FT we were 30bb deep iirc.
    Posted by GELDY
    Firstly, not gonna let that thin brag about reaching a FT go unnoticed Geldy.  THINNNNNNNNNNNNNN! (p.s. Well done!)

Under the old structure it usually finished between 1am and about 1:40am iirc and was usually the FT from about half past midnight.  I still prefer the old structure but I am looking for input about the middle stages being too shallow.  Am I imagining it?
  • edited April 2015
    Ok life update

LIFE IS GOOD

I'm lucky at the moment, everything is coming up Millhouse.
  • edited April 2015
    Poker Update

I've been behind on this, many apologies.  Not been grinding as much this month, had distractions, mainly just enjoying life to be honest but also I've gotten back into PLO on another site and been doing ok there as well.  I just have the wandering eye at the moment, I'll be back full force on Sky before long.

I guess I just got a little tired here, which happens from time to time.  I got a little tired of the criticism.  You see, I know I'm not very good, I never claim to be anything more than a ham and egg grinder in truth.  So if I get there versus you, I don't need a tirade.  Seriously considering grinding without the chat on which for cash is massively -ev but I'm sorta sick of doing the work for other regs.  You see, when it's a Friday night and a drunk recreational player gets online and starts chatting, it is so much better for everyone if they are replied to.  Most regs just expect someone else to do it and wait to win their pots.  They don't get it, if you make a living from this game then at times, you are part of the entertainment.  At times, you are all of the entertainment!  I'm sick of being one of the only ones trying to entertain.  I'm sick of being one of the only ones keeping tables running shorthanded and then have the swarm of Reg sit ins after a random name sits with us.  I am beyond sick of the 'give me money now and you know you are stupid right!' attitudes of so many regs on all sites.  I may be 'pretty bad' and play 'awful poker' but I get the game and the reason why there still is a game so much more than these fools.  And more importantly, always #LoveTheGame

So if I don't respond to anyone in chat please do not take offence but it means I have probably had my fill and closed off chat, potentially for good.

April update

April 2015

Points so far:  8687
    Total Profit/loss:  +£1283.98  

DYMs:  -
             Cash:  + £1737.68
             MTT:  -  £453.70
             HU SnG:  -

Not sure about the VLV spend right now but we finally have a seat for the £10k final Sat as well as this month's £3.2 package final.  Come on blindly getting lucky and going to Vegas!!!
  • edited April 2015
    Oh and if you really want to point and laugh at me, please tune into Sky Sports 4 tonight between 10pm and midnight.  I fully intend to be the first person to busto the £100 challenge.  If I make it to 11pm with a penny on the table, that will feel like a win.
  • edited April 2015

I feel your pain there, Tommy. People in this country – en masse – have always had the mentality that they need to bring people down a peg or two once they gain any sort of success at anything. You know this. It’s unfortunate when it’s directed at us, but it’s basic jealousy and sour grapes – always, and without exception. I like to think I don’t do the same. Friendly banter is one thing (and I’m sure I’ve been guilty of indulging there with you) but there’s a line in the sand that any player with a little respect for the game should not cross. Hopefully, I never have.

You’re a better player than your post alludes to, and having met you on numerous occasions, a decent guy in person too, who is just as comfortable taking my offer of a pint as you are taking my chips on the table ;)

I hope you get your Sky mojo back soon. This site – and poker in general – needs more characters like you.