You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ask Tikay?

Comments

• edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay?:
    Lol, I really do feel sorry for you Tikay that you have to field the above posts, I genuinely just don't even know where to begin replying to them kinda posts anymore. I got a question that should be much easier to answer... I'm gonna be at Cardiff after I got the SPT bug at Brighton, and I was just wondering which members of the Sky team are gonna be there? Yourself, Carlo, Anna, etc?
    Posted by Lambert180
    No need to feel sorry for me, Lamby, the comments (since deleted) don't cause me distress, except for those who make them. They have included, in the last week alone, "see you in hell tikay", & "I've got a rope for you Tony". I find it incredibly sad that playing micro-limits poker can mess with someone's head that badly, I truly do. For every such comment, I probably get 100 really lovely PM's & comments, so it's cool for me. 

Cardiff? The current "talent" plan is for Sarah Champion to be the Host (interviews to camera etc), & for Jen Mason to play the Event. Jen is THE most personable human being you could ever wish to meet, & I know you'll enjoy meeting her & chatting with her - she's very special. Sarah is, too, of course, but most of the SPT regulars have already met Sarah, so know just how lovely she is. 

For your sins, I shall be there in my usual "front of house" role, looking busy, but doing nothing, though hopefully Dylan will be playing, so the abuse-o-meter will be set to maximum. MBN to be me. Incidentally (incoming chirp alert), you may not recognise me - I've lost almost s stone since SPT Brighton, & plan to lose at least half a stone more before SPT Cardiff. Svelte, indeed. Almost.  
  • edited March 2012
    Whats your perfect Sunday ;)
    Posted by WildBill12
    Ooh, easy. Just chill, relax, play some fun poker, take some photos (my new hobby), & enjoy every minute of the entire day. Same as every day, really.

And you, your favourite Sunday is?

• edited March 2012
    Good afternoon Mr. Kendall. I hope it's a good one for you.

My Sunday was nice until I was knocked out of the Primo after an hour with AA. Fortunately I'd satellited in for £2.50 but if you would like a giggle, check out my exit hand from the mini-primo. I posted it in the clinic and it's a little bit humorous. I think I played it fantastically though.

There is a point behind this message. A couple of weeks ago I played in my first ever PLO tournament. I actually cashed in third but that was only thanks to other people playing a bit crazy. I played about three hands and just folded into the money. Anyway, I was hoping you could recommend a good Omaha book. I won't be spending too much time on the game but it makes a nice break from hold 'em and I'd like to know what I was doing.

Thank you kindly.
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : No need to feel sorry for me, Lamby, the comments (since deleted) don't cause me distress, except for those who make them. They have included, in the last week alone, "see you in hell tikay", & "I've got a rope for you Tony". I find it incredibly sad that playing micro-limits poker can mess with someone's head that badly, I truly do. For every such comment, I probably get 100 really lovely PM's & comments, so it's cool for me.  Cardiff? The current "talent" plan is for Sarah Champion to be the Host (interviews to camera etc), & for Jen Mason to play the Event. Jen is THE most personable human being you could ever wish to meet, & I know you'll enjoy meeting her & chatting with her - she's very special. Sarah is, too, of course, but most of the SPT regulars have already met Sarah, so know just how lovely she is.  For your sins, I shall be there in my usual "front of house" role, looking busy, but doing nothing, though hopefully Dylan will be playing, so the abuse-o-meter will be set to maximum. MBN to be me. Incidentally (incoming chirp alert), you may not recognise me - I've lost almost s stone since SPT Brighton, & plan to lose at least half a stone more before SPT Cardiff. Svelte, indeed. Almost.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Yeah it is Salad24 that needed to be entered into the Thews @ Ten tomorrow, cheers for that. I've got IDONKCALLU offering to give up his prize to me this year as well (if he wins) because of my wonderful work in the competition, althought dunno if I can accept.

Thanks for info on the info on Cardiff, really looking forward to it!
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Yeah it is Salad24 that needed to be entered into the Thews @ Ten tomorrow, cheers for that. I've got IDONKCALLU offering to give up his prize to me this year as well (if he wins) because of my wonderful work in the competition, althought dunno if I can accept. Thanks for info on the info on Cardiff, really looking forward to it!
    Posted by Lambert180
    I have requested that Head Office enter "Salad24" in tonight's ""Thews @ Ten". I have also included in that request free entry for you ("Lambert180") by way of thanks to you for organising this.

Keep an eye on the Tourney Lobby, both namers should appear shortly.

Good luck both, & thank you.

• edited March 2012
    Thanks Tikay. I've really been working on my MTT game recently so hopefully I'll bink a nice result tonight.

I'll post up and remind Salad24 he's playing tonight
  • edited March 2012
    Thanks Tikay. I've really been working on my MTT game recently so hopefully I'll bink a nice result tonight. I'll post up and remind Salad24 he's playing tonight
    Posted by Lambert180
    Lobby @ present.......

salad244000
    Lambert1804000
    Good luck both of you.
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Lobby @ present....... salad24 4000 Lambert180 4000 Good luck both of you.
    Posted by Tikay10
    GL Both!!

Well desevered Squaddie Lambert, Rungolden!

ty TK!
  • edited March 2012
    Good afternoon Mr. Kendall. I hope it's a good one for you. My Sunday was nice until I was knocked out of the Primo after an hour with AA. Fortunately I'd satellited in for £2.50 but if you would like a giggle, check out my exit hand from the mini-primo. I posted it in the clinic and it's a little bit humorous. I think I played it fantastically though. There is a point behind this message. A couple of weeks ago I played in my first ever PLO tournament. I actually cashed in third but that was only thanks to other people playing a bit crazy. I played about three hands and just folded into the money. Anyway, I was hoping you could recommend a good Omaha book. I won't be spending too much time on the game but it makes a nice break from hold 'em and I'd like to know what I was doing. Thank you kindly.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Yo Mr Borin.

I will name it, & show a copy of the book I think will best solve your needs, on tonight's Show.

If you miss the Show, I'll give you the details on this Thread tomorrow.

Have a good evening.
  • edited March 2012

For Mr Borin.

In case you missed last night's shambles of a Show (lucky you....) the details on that Omaha book, which I showed to camera, are as follows......

"Pot Limit Omaha Poker"

("The Big Play Strategy")

Author - Jeff Hwang.

Published by KensingtonBooks.com

ISBN # -13:978-0-8184--0726-0

ISBN # 10:0-8184-0726-3
  • edited March 2012
    Afternoon Tikay,

Sadly I missed out on a cash last night in the Thews @ Ten but I'm pretty happy that I played really well througout. Came 17th and top 10 were paid. As I was freerolling, I decided not to allow myself any rebuys so quite happy with how I did for my first go and no rebuys.

Cheers for the opportunity.

Paul
  • edited March 2012
    The last time I played that tournament I'm sad to say a deal was done to chop the money up eight ways. We each took £550 because the chip leader had 13BB and the shorty had 9BB... I think it's a signal of a poor structure if that's possible. With so much money on the line, it was a shame to have the skill removed from the final table. I always run well, even when my AA is cracked by 95o as it was last night. lol To be fair, I binked a second in the Take on Tikay last night and have trebled my Sky Poker roll in the last three days. No complaints from me. :) I would like to thank you for your kind words last Tuesday on the show. I hope you're running well too.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Hmmmm here's a Q, Obv the venues would have the structure aimed to fit a certain time period, but if the players wanted would any venues ever roll back a few blind levels for customer satisfaction???
  • edited March 2012
    Hi Tikay,

Just a feel good thread as requested....

Being a blue, i couldn't watch last night so taped the progs and must say that Redmund and Neil Channing were brilliant and had such a good rapport...there's so much to learn from them in nice bite-size chunks too. loved the shove stuff.
    Anyway, the  reason i couldn't watch was because Everton were in FA cup quarter V Sunderland. I thought i'd have a go at a BH before and was doig quite well until my KK ran into AA ai.  C'est la vie. So i concentrated o the match which was lovely jubbly and then had another BH. Can you guess....
    Yessss!! I was dealt KK with a chap at the table who had gone AI on each of the last three hands being called on one with 56c and sucking out(not short-stacked...maybe he had somewhere to go?) As you've no doubt guessed he had AA and won. Funnily, i was so high from Everton's win i just laughed and thought to myself that i was owed a coupleof suck outs  by the poker gods/variance now...wished everyone well in the rest of the T and bade my farewell.
    I felt good and my cup was certainly half full....not half empty. Poker can make you laugh even at a bad beat. Take my word for it....All the best Tikay. ive watched the whole nightssky poker tv now and they were all great ...ive noted those tips down on a diagram to scan ten mins before playing.
    Top tip in my book was not looking for the min cash...give yourself a chance to win it! Love it!
  • edited March 2012
    For Mr Borin. In case you missed last night's shambles of a Show (lucky you....) the details on that Omaha book, which I showed to camera, are as follows...... "Pot Limit Omaha Poker" ("The Big Play Strategy") Author - Jeff Hwang. Published by KensingtonBooks.com ISBN # -13:978-0-8184--0726-0 ISBN # 10:0-8184-0726-3
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thank you Mr. Kendall, I did see the show and I've already ordered the book from a rainforest based online bookstore. It'll be nice to be able to donk off money in an entirely new game.

The show was hardly a shambles. Shame those work experience lads you had with you on the sofa were so quiet...
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Thank you Mr. Kendall, I did see the show and I've already ordered the book from a rainforest based online bookstore. It'll be nice to be able to donk off money in an entirely new game. The show was hardly a shambles. Shame those work experience lads you had with you on the sofa were so quiet...
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Me too, get it tomorrow. Thanks for the info, Tikay.

• edited April 2012
    Hi Tikay,

The 2 finalists in the HU comp this time round are Poker_Fail and IDONKCALLU. The latter of these has told me he won't be able to play the Thews @ Ten for a few weeks, so I guess I'll just have to let you know when they tell me they are able to play.

So I can give hyou plenty of notice, is there particular days of the week you check this thread and how early would you need to know to get them in for the Tuesday?
  • edited April 2012

I check it several times every day, if anything time-sensitive is on it, I try to deal with it immediately, otherwise I just cruise the forum damping down & trying to extinguish fires.....

If you let me know before Noon on most days, the Free Entries can usually be sorted for that evening, unless, (very rarely), I am offline that day.

Afternoons, not so much.  
  • edited April 2012
    I check it several times every day, if anything time-sensitive is on it, I try to deal with it immediately, otherwise I just cruise the forum damping down & trying to extinguish fires..... If you let me know before Noon on most days, the Free Entries can usually be sorted for that evening, unless, (very rarely), I am offline that day. Afternoons, not so much.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Cheers for the speedy response Tikay.

So yeah, I just missed out on a cash in the Thews @ Ten but I won free entry to the 12k BH on 865 the other night, so that's the one I'm gonna bink ;)
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : If you want to be a long-term success it as absolutely paramount. To put it in simple terms, imagine you were Phil Ivey (arguably the best player in the world), if he chooses to play 100NL and only has 10 Buy-ins, he might get off to a good start build up his roll a bit and never look back, but on the other hand, he could VERY easily have a bad day and lose his entire roll in 1 session, and he's the best player in the world (arguably). No matter how good you are, no-one can beat plain old variance all the time, so if you don't give yourself enough of a BR to take the downswings, you will go busto, FACT. EDIT: If you can't beat 10NL, then there's something major missing in your game that will hold you back at 50NL (regardless of how your short term results are). All the regs who make a living at 50NL+ would completely crush 4NL - 10NL, so if you can't there's something missing, you're not adapting enough etc.
    Posted by Lambert180
    its not that i cant beat 10nl its just too slow for me why play at a level where il make x amount of money or play at another level i can also beat and make upto 5 times that amount thats what i think your missing.
  • edited April 2012
    hi there tikay how u doing hope your well just a quick question i`m sure someone on forum has already asked this question but the question is.

if the tsp qualifier for top 30 each format stts,mtts and cash have been put on hold what is in place if anything gets put in place is it goin back to the old ways money for what position u finish in the league etc

also i`m only asking not moaning about this at all because I know sky do offer a lot of promotions which are great but if you dont ask you dont get lol.
  • edited April 2012
    hi there tikay how u doing hope your well just a quick question i`m sure someone on forum has already asked this question but the question is. if the tsp qualifier for top 30 each format stts,mtts and cash have been put on hold what is in place if anything gets put in place is it goin back to the old ways money for what position u finish in the league etc also i`m only asking not moaning about this at all because I know sky do offer a lot of promotions which are great but if you dont ask you dont get lol.
    Posted by liamboi11
    Morning Liam.

Yes, I'm abso grand thank you, all is good, hope it is the same with you.

As to your main question.....

Yes, TSP is being rested for a quarter or two, for a variety of reasons really. It became very resource heavy, & more & more difficult for the small staff here to support all the Guys at the various Live Events they played. We were not happy with that, we want that the Members get full support & really make the most of their 3 months in the Team.

We did it properly for the last "outing" at Walssall - Live Updates, photos, filmed interviews, a TV Show, and that was, we believe, exactly as it should be, all the chaps had a grand time.

Now it's nearly Summer. Traffic dips a bit, various staff have holidays, some may go to Vegas to support the Viva Las Vegas qualifiers etc, so resources are even thinner.

Plans are in hand to do something similar to TSP in the Autumn. It will not be the same, but the same sort of thing, if you get my drift.....

We also liked the "mass outing" of all the TSP-ers at Walsall, so we wil be working along those lines in future, so we can support & report on the players better.

It's unlikely however - VERY unlikely - that we will be entering our players in the GUKPT Series any more. We have something different, & better, in mind, & at venue(s) where we can better support our players, & where they get better playing conditions & ambience. 
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Morning Liam. Yes, I'm abso grand thank you, all is good, hope it is the same with you. As to your main question..... Yes, TSP is being rested for a quarter or two, for a variety of reasons really. It became very resource heavy, & more & more difficult for the small staff here to support all the Guys at the various Live Events they played. We were not happy with that, we want that the Members get full support & really make the most of their 3 months in the Team. We did it properly for the last "outing" at Walssall - Live Updates, photos, filmed interviews, a TV Show, and that was, we believe, exactly as it should be, all the chaps had a grand time. Now it's nearly Summer. Traffic dips a bit, various staff have holidays, some may go to Vegas to support the Viva Las Vegas qualifiers etc, so resources are even thinner. Plans are in hand to do something similar to TSP in the Autumn. It will not be the same, but the same sort of thing, if you get my drift..... We also liked the "mass outing" of all the TSP-ers at Walsall, so we wil be working along those lines in future, so we can support & report on the players better. It's unlikely however - VERY unlikely - that we will be entering our players in the GUKPT Series any more. We have something different, & better, in mind, & at venue(s) where we can better support our players, & where they get better playing conditions & ambience. 
    Posted by Tikay10
    thanks for replying back to me tikay and just to give an idea instead of entering players in the gukpt`s for tsp or what yous do decide to change it promotion to in autumm what about the ukipt`s instead not as exspensive probably bigger fields and also ukipts are huge now and on tv every week so good way of advertising sky also not taking anything away from gukpt just imo ukipts are bigger now.

but just an idea take care

liamboi11
  • edited April 2012
    Hi tikay me and poker _fail are currently in the heads up final its 1-1 at the moment hopefull we will get it finished by tonight was meant to get it finished yesterday but quinn had problems with hes computr i am free to play this weeks thews at 10 many thanks steve aka idonkcallu 
  • edited April 2012
    If you look on the previous page of this thread Donk, you'll see mine and Tikay's conversation where he set out the timelines he'd need to be able to get you and basically, unless he says otherwise very shortly, it's too short notice to get you in tonight, so if you're available next week (10th April) then I'm sure he can get you in for that one.
  • edited April 2012
    if i cant get in to tonights thews at 10 next week i will be free so be able toplay that would be much appreciated thankyou tikay also i like to say a big thankyou to paul and emma who have organised this heads up comp and what a great job they have done 
  • edited April 2012

I have been offline all afternoon, and am now prepping for tonight's Show, so the "free" Thews @ Ten entries will NOT be tonight, I'm afraid.

As I stated yesterday, as long as I know by Midday any day, I can arrange something for the same evening. After midday, not so much. 

If you both let me know in time (before Midday NEXT Tuesday, or ANY Tuesday), I will arrange for your Free Entries as appropriate. 
  • edited April 2012
    Poker_fail won 3-1 heads up final played well is next tuesday ok fro free entry thanks tikay 
  • edited April 2012
    Poker_fail won 3-1 heads up final played well is next tuesday ok fro free entry thanks tikay 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    For you, him, or both of you?
  • edited April 2012

Thanks for the advice last night on the Q9 hand it has all been taken on board and TY.

I hate to say it but the show was great and James was first class.i will pop along to Cardiff to see you chaps. should be a great weekend. off to play DTD 150 on Friday and APAT Saturday.

keep up the good work and keep well

Dai
  • edited April 2012
    Thanks for the advice last night on the Q9 hand it has all been taken on board and TY. I hate to say it but the show was great and James was first class.i will pop along to Cardiff to see you chaps. should be a great weekend. off to play DTD 150 on Friday and APAT Saturday. keep up the good work and keep well Dai
    Posted by DAIBOOT
    Thanks Dai.

Fluushy seems to be able to explain things so well, I thought he was an incredible Guest.

The Q-9 hand was such an excellent example, too, proving that the first, & initial play (the pre-flop call, oop) was the REAL mistake. After that, everything played out correctly, "what will be will be" sorta thing.

I've always strongly believed that too - almost everything that goes wrong - in life, as well as poker, starts with an innocuous looking minor mistake. 

Sadly, in many cases, especially when a player loses a hand, they look for excuses - the other player was an "idiot", the software caused it, Sky Poker are to blame, da de da.

There is no better way of learning than...

a) Losing

b) Looking at ourselves, not others, for the reason.

Hope to see you in Cardiff, big man. Fingers crossed Dyl will be there, too. I will have lost 2 stone (since SPT Brighton) by then, I'm so gonna stand next to Dylan to "large him up"......