You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ask Tikay?

Comments

• edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay?:
    thanks tikay for the registration :) 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    You are welcome, & I'm very pleased to see you finished second for a shade under £200.

Quite a nice way of saying "goodbye" to Sky Poker, I'd say, & I hope you enjoy your poker on your new site.

Take care now.
  • edited April 2012
    Thanks Tikay. That was very informative and a nice relief to know it's good such good parking. Dya happen to know if Orford is coming? I know he said he wanted to but wasn't sure about availability. Would be nice to see him there (and you obviously)
    Posted by Lambert180
    You are most welcome.

As far as I am aware, no, Rich Orford will NOT be there.

From 865, there will be, I think, Sarah Champion, Jen Mason, Carlo, & myself. Jen & Carlo will be playing, Sarah & I will not, we are both "working".

The (ex) boxer Nicky Piper will be there too.

More importantly, lots of the Sky Poker regulars will be there, & you will love meeting them all, you really will, the atmo at these SPT's is really quite something. Try & get regged for a "Tighty Sit N Go", too. You'll never regret it if you do, they are the abso nuts!

Come see me when you arrive, & I'll introduce you to a few of the regulars, you'll be just fine then.

If you have any questions about Sky Poker, what we do, what is planned, anything, Rich Milner (Head of Poker) & Adam Harmer (Head of Product) will probably both be there, they try to get to every SPT. Adam brings along all the new software tweaks & developments that Sky Poker have in progress, & happily shows, & explains them, to anyone who is interested. 

"Giant811" will be there too - what a character! He is 13' tall. 

Here he is when he came to Walsall with us, the first photo is with me (I'm the shorter one), the 2nd photo is Giant with Lum Lonk Lung, aka "lumking09". 

• edited April 2012
    [QUOTE]Hi Tikay, I have been following the debate with regard to Ch 865 on the forum. Within your & in my opinion (for what its worth) excellent explanation on the situation, you mentioned the subject of "Iffy aliases". I also noticed on a programme recently that you declined to say someone's name as you felt it was a bit "Iffy". This got me thinking about mine, "Woggie" is a nickname i have had for the past 37 years, and more people probably know me as Woggie rather than Mike ( or in the case of my mother Michael). I appreciate that this to certain people may be taken as being a bit Iffy. If the opportunity to be mentioned on Ch 865 arose for whatever reason, I would hate that it couldnt be mentioned as it was regarded to be a bit "Iffy". Which brings me to the point of my "Ask Tikay"                                            1) Is there any way we can check if our alias would be considered as iffy.                                            2) If our Alias is considered to be unsuitable for mention on 865 is there any way of changing an existing Alias. Many thanks Mike ( Woggie8688 )
    Posted by Woggie8688

Good morning, err, Mike!

Apologies for misssing this most interesting question, & I have replied to your PM this morning.

Love the fact that "iffy alias" has entered the online dictionary!

Firstly, I can very easily see that, in context, your alias is not intended in any inappropriate way, that is quite clear.

Would we, or I, read it out on Ch 865? That's a bit more complicated, in truth.

I consulted Mother this morning about this, (she is in a fowl mood, cluck cluck cluck), & she was also of the view that in context, no offence is intended.

I think her view was that under the circumstances, it would be left to the discretion of the Presenters, Analysts, & Producer.

Me? I confess, no, I would not read it out. Not because I am "politically correct silly", but we only have to cause offence to one person, & that is one too many. And as you may be aware from reading the Forum, some individuals will take any opportunity, no matter how slim, to lob complaints in our direction. Anyway, I know your name, so I'd call you "Mike"! Or, if I was crossy-wossy, "Michael"......

For the avoidance of doubt, I, & everyone at 865, are 100% against racism, & racist comments. But we also have to be SO careful not to give offence inadvertently. 

Can you change your alias? This, usually, is only allowed in special circumstances - for example, (but not exclusively) in the case of - wait for it - inappropriate aliases! 

I would suggest, tentatively, that in this case, if you wish me to ask "them upstairs" if your alias can be changed, I will do, on your behalf.

Let me know, please.

One of the most perplexing & original questions on the whole "Ask tikay" thread ever. The shoes we at Sky Poker wear can be quite uncomfortable at times. This is one such case.
  • edited April 2012

Mike - I have sent you a further PM, with a suggested solution to this "problem".

Let me know, & I'll sort if need be.

• edited April 2012

Problem sorted. Next case.
  • edited April 2012
    Ok I have a question.

I wanted to know how would a PRO poker player do in a freeroll?

Im only asking because the unpredictable nature of these tornys.

Is luck more of a factor in these tornys or is skill over luck always going to come up trumps?

Thanking you in advance

Jay.
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Lol, you nutter, I love it when you blow smoke in the orifice direction. I never knew you were a salmon fisherman? Tell us more - where, biggest fish caught, da de da. Also, now I have, momentarily I'm sure, your attention, how is your health now? Amazing to think how badly you were, what, about a year ago? Your recovery has been a wonderful story, & we are all thrilled to bits for you. Life's good, innit? PS - wanna play "Thews @ Ten" tonight? Reply by midday today, 1pm at a push, & you will play as our guest. No real reason, other than your story is an inspiration to everyone, you caught me in a particularly good mood today, & I'm a biig softie. ;) 
    Posted by Tikay10
     Hiya Tikay, "orifice direction"--lol-- I just got a sudden rush of angry when I saw your post that referred to some nasty things that had been said to you on the forum.

I've been a fisherman since I was 9, but salmon fishing only two seasons, biggest fish 18lbs. I am renting a house in a town in West Cork, Ireland--- There is an old castle up the road, (from the days of occupation), the big boss man there gave the people of the town 2 miles of free fishing! He was what an Irishman might call a relatively nice Englishman. It's a fantastic river for wild brown trout, salmon, and sea trout, which is why I won't mention it's location on the www.---- Will pm it to you if you are interested. I can also offer you somewhere to stay if you fancy a weekend salmon fishing---- September after rain is terrific fishing!-- springers now, but elusive in low water,--- late July for mad sea trout!-- I had one jump into a tree and escape!--- I tie my own flies (enthusiastic beginner), so get great satisfaction, and not a little dinner--lol

I'm doing great, thanks, on the health front (touchwood), still feeling a bit more normal every week-- It was actually the salmon season that could have killed me, as I waited till the season was finished (October) before I called an ambulance. The fishing was so good in September, and I thought it might be my last chance to catch a whoppa!--lol--Still-- It could also be the salmon season that saved my life, because I had become so ill that I was allowed to jump the waiting list for my operation--- Aye--- Life is good innit---lol

Thanks for the tournament invite, sorry I missed it, had my Son over for a night fishing session-- He caught a nice brownie on a minnow!--I am teaching him fly fishing now I have him hooked.

Cheers Tikay, I hope to meet you one day, if the salmon season dos'nt tempt you to come to Ireland, we have loads of ducks on the river!--- And a Kingfisher sat on my rod last year!

Well, you did ask--lol
  • edited April 2012
     Here's a question, I know exactly where two families of otters live, they are fantastic to watch, and I have seen one with a salmon------ Obviously I will have to shoot them, but should I use a digital camera, or a crossbow?
  • edited April 2012
    I suggest there should be a "letting off steam" forum topic. The idea is that your post is automatically deleted after 10 mins ( by which time, hopefully you are back in control of your senses ).

This way you and others don't have the embarrassment of reading it later, let alone TK having to have the saintly patience to post a sensible reply.
  • edited April 2012
    I suggest there should be a "letting off steam" forum topic. The idea is that your post is automatically deleted after 10 mins ( by which time, hopefully you are back in control of your senses ). This way you and others don't have the embarrassment of reading it later, let alone TK having to have the saintly patience to post a sensible reply.
    Posted by simonnatur
    Isn't that Beats, Brags and Variance?
  • edited April 2012
    I am a new player practising on the free tables.    For a change I found one with six players which was tight and sensible!    Having folded monotonously, I then held a jack of clubs connected unsuited with three clubs up to the 10 on the turn.   The river turned up the A of clubs and an opponent who had probably been checking for the flush bet all-in.   Should I call or assume he probably has the K or Q?

I called and he had the K!    Big mistake?  C'est la vie.
  • edited April 2012
    Hi there Tikay. Have emailed Sky poker 3-4 times today on clarification on whether
    i will be receiving my bounty hunter ticket on thursday night through the
    Starstruck competiton i won on Channel 865 last night?
    Can you help Sir
  • edited April 2012
    I am a new player practising on the free tables.    For a change I found one with six players which was tight and sensible!    Having folded monotonously, I then held a jack of clubs connected unsuited with three clubs up to the 10 on the turn.   The river turned up the A of clubs and an opponent who had probably been checking for the flush bet all-in.   Should I call or assume he probably has the K or Q? I called and he had the K!    Big mistake?  C'est la vie.
    Posted by gemini32
    It's very hard to comment without having seen how the betting went through the hand etc. If you search for the hand in your Hand History (it's under the 'My Sky Poker' dropdown) and post the hand into 'The Poker Clinic' section, then people will be more than happy to give you advice.

Also, welcome to the game and to the site.
  • edited April 2012
    Hi there Tikay. Have emailed Sky poker 3-4 times today on clarification on whether i will be receiving my bounty hunter ticket on thursday night through the Starstruck competiton i won on Channel 865 last night? Can you help Sir
    Posted by chopos180
    Good afternoon Choppo, & yes, I hope I can.

Your "free entry" into Thursday evening's Bounty Hunter will be arranged today.

I can use this question to, I hope, partly illustrate how these Free Entries won on 865 Shows are organised.

The Producer & AP ("Assistant Producer") are responsible for organising these Prizes, & they have to send the alias up to Head Office. (865 is in London, Head Office is in Leeds).

They both work on Saturday, prepping the Sunday & Tuesday Shows, & again on Sunday, from 2pm until 1am. The Show finishes @ Midnight, but they then have to construct & write two "Show Reports", being an appraisal of the performance of the Talent, & Technical Team, plus a full blown "Technical Report", so they have quite a bit of post-Show work to do.

They then have Monday off, & come back to work @ Noon on Tuesday (today), to prep for tonight's Show. As soon as they arrived in the Office today, they would have sent the note to Head Office organising your Free Entry.

So, all that is needed now is for you to bring a happy conclusion to that work-trail & win Thursday's Bounty Hunter - & I hope you do. That'd be pretty neat, eh?

Good luck you.
  • edited April 2012
    Ok so im curious as to how poker points work / how i can earn them / and is there a way of getting them at a quicker pace etc .. Id just like some info on them please
  • edited April 2012
    Hello Tikay I have slowly forced my downswing to a halt by multitabling so many tables that variance is no longer an issue!! :) I think wires where crossed the other day when i posted a hand on TV and the question was asked how did he call all the streets it was slightly out of context the actual question was what did I do wrong to allow him to come all this way. Anyway to the point of this thread i would like to ask if you can recommend any good poker books? I really dont have many poker poker friends locally so spend alot of time in forums watching hands played by professionals on youtube but is there any really good books out there that actually help??
    Also i have recently sat watching tables at higher levels mainly the big players on the site TommyD in particular (Because he has an interesting game) just watching tables and trying to put players on hands due to bet sizing and posistion play is this beneficial as I was advised to do it by a decent...ish player and I am really doing as much as i can to improve my game.

Kalie x
  • edited April 2012
    Ok so im curious as to how poker points work / how i can earn them / and is there a way of getting them at a quicker pace etc .. Id just like some info on them please
    Posted by PokerEire
    You earn poker points for every real money game you play on the site whether it be SnG, cash or MTT. It's essentially based on how much rake you are paying so obviously you can earn points faster if you play at higher stakes but I would definitely not suggest playing higher stakes that you're not comfortable with just to earn more points.

Here's a link about how the points are calculated

https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby/poker-promotions/earning-poker-points?tracking=pokerpleftnav
  • edited April 2012
    Mr Kendall, Sir, I very much enjoy your comments and general conversation.   Thank you for that!   You recently remarked significantly "don't forget we can see all the cards face up"
    Would it be technically possible to occasionally show a table with only one set of hole cards revealed.   Obviously they would need to be playable but not necessarily the winning hand.    It would be very instructive and perhaps a little more testing for the experts.
  • edited April 2012
    Where is my free 10 pound,i registered and got nothing????????
  • edited April 2012
    Could you tell me if or when the 1658320463 on 2012-04-18 16:38:09, TV sit& go will on,I'm 73 tomorrow 19th. major19  
  • edited April 2012
    Where is my free 10 pound,i registered and got nothing????????
    Posted by daithi77
    Good morning, thank you for your lovely Post, & it is good to see you, too.

The details - if you mean this promotion - are
    HERE

However, this thread is not the correct place to enquire, I would suggest you contact Customer Care - they look after such queries, & they cannot be resolved via the forum.
  • edited April 2012
    Could you tell me if or when the 1658320463 on 2012-04-18 16:38:09, TV sit& go will on,I'm 73 tomorrow 19th. major19  
    Posted by major19
    Morning Major!

I don't know for sure, but it is unlikely that the SNG will feature on Ch 865. The presence of a TV Icon on a Table or Tourney does not mean it WILL be televised, it means it  might, or could be. It is to ensure that those who do NOT wish their hands to be aired on TV have their rights respected, rather than a guarantee it wll be televised.

73 today? Many congratulations! Wow, that is really something, still playing the pokers, too. Great stuff.

Did you know that othe day you were born coincided with the publication of that very fine novel, "Gone with the Wind", later turned into one of THE most famous movies of all time, starring, I believe, Tom Cruise & Paul Newman? (Some facts may be untrue).

I hope you have a wonderful 73rd Birthday, Mr Major, & many more happy years playing poker.
  • edited April 2012
    Mr Kendall, Sir, I very much enjoy your comments and general conversation.   Thank you for that!   You recently remarked significantly "don't forget we can see all the cards face up" Would it be technically possible to occasionally show a table with only one set of hole cards revealed.   Obviously they would need to be playable but not necessarily the winning hand.    It would be very instructive and perhaps a little more testing for the experts.
    Posted by gemini32
    Good morning.

Any Post which begins ""Mr Kendall, Sir" will always get my urgent attention. You understand psychology & cooey-wooey, clearly, unlike the SORT IT OUT stylee posters.

Your idea? It is something they are currently looking to incorporate on 865. The display of hands runs through a "Console" with some tricky software in it, but new Consoles are on the way, & it'd be neat if they included your idea.

Consider it duly passed to Mother's safe beak.   

• edited April 2012
    Hello Tikay I have slowly forced my downswing to a halt by multitabling so many tables that variance is no longer an issue!! :) I think wires where crossed the other day when i posted a hand on TV and the question was asked how did he call all the streets it was slightly out of context the actual question was what did I do wrong to allow him to come all this way. Anyway to the point of this thread i would like to ask if you can recommend any good poker books? I really dont have many poker poker friends locally so spend alot of time in forums watching hands played by professionals on youtube but is there any really good books out there that actually help?? Also i have recently sat watching tables at higher levels mainly the big players on the site TommyD in particular (Because he has an interesting game) just watching tables and trying to put players on hands due to bet sizing and posistion play is this beneficial as I was advised to do it by a decent...ish player and I am really doing as much as i can to improve my game. Kalie x
    Posted by Batkin88
    Morning Kalie.

Firstly, as to the "TV hand" you refe to, I just think it was all about bet-sizing. I think you realise that now, anyway.

Good to see you still want to improve your game. I note from Sharkscope (I have no access to Sky Poker data) that you have a very impressive record, notwithstanding your "downswing". And yes, multi-tabling reduces the variance.

Downswings happen, poker would not be poker without them, like outdraws, they are part & parcel of the game, & fundamental to it. Some folks on downswings can't handle the heat, & blame the oppos ("he made a SHOCKING call"), the software (SKY RIVERED ME), the weather, this that & the other, which is kinda sad really, as they'll never improve, so it's refreshing to see you attacking the problem positively & sensibly. I have observed your progreess for many months now, & I said on TV, & here, months ago, that you would do just fine, & be a winning player. Players who have the ability to be profitable are easily identified.

Best book to read? I don't much think books help (me personally, anyway), but Jarad Tendlar & Barry Carters "The Mental Game of Poker" has helped many, many friends of mine better understand, & cope with, downswings & "tilt". "tilt", of course, is simply mind-weakness, & is a wholly negative & non-productive emotion, so anyone who suffers from it has my sympathy, & recommendation to read that book. "tilt", imo, should be reserved for stuff like those poor people in Rwanda, or those rendered homeless by natural disasters, not poker.

Watching other ("better") players? Yes, that helps too.

I would also suggest writing to a decent player & asking for a little help & guidance. Most good players are extremely helpful, & won't hold back on advice, in fact they rather enjoy doing so. I have recommended lots of players to do that, & it has worked very well, though I'm blessed to be friendly with some really nice people who are also very good at poker.

Using a good poker forum hand analysis board helps, too, Sky Poker have "The Poker Clinic", & almost every Poker Forum has a PHA (Poker Hand Analysis) Board. 

Finally, I truly believe that, assuming reasonable intelligence, actually PLAYING the game - & losing a bit now & then - is the best form of coaching. Losing hurts, & it helps us focus better, assuming we don't delude ourselves & start blaming the software or that sort of nonsense. 

As to learning, we are all different, but personally, I would never ever pay for coaching or "mentoring". However, we all respond to different psychological buttons.

I hope your poker continues to be profitable, & more importantly, you continue to enjoy it. You are THE perfect example to so many.

Take care now.  
  • edited April 2012
    Posted by PokerEire
    Hi Mr Eire, I surmise you like "ROI"......

The reply by Lambert helpfully sums it up, as do the replies you got on the thread you started.

Hope you are sorted now.

Short of stating the obvious, the best way to earn more points is to play more. If you play cash, try opening 2, 3 or 4 Tables, it is awkward at first, but soon becomes easy, & also try & do that during the thrice daily "Happy Hours", as the points don't 'arf mount up if you do that. You can easly keep track of your points, too, by referring regularly to the Poker Points Widget thingie.  

Good luck you.
  • edited April 2012
    I am a new player practising on the free tables.    For a change I found one with six players which was tight and sensible!    Having folded monotonously, I then held a jack of clubs connected unsuited with three clubs up to the 10 on the turn.   The river turned up the A of clubs and an opponent who had probably been checking for the flush bet all-in.   Should I call or assume he probably has the K or Q? I called and he had the K!    Big mistake?  C'est la vie.
    Posted by gemini32
    Not necessarily a "big mistake", the villain does not HAVE to have the K or the Q, he could have complete air.

It also depends on stack sizes & all manner of other variables.

Imagine, for example (in simple terms), that he jammed all-in, & you were getting even money to make the call. Also imagine that he bluffs the river 3 times out of four. It means we are getting the correct price to call. We will be wrong 1 time in 4, but correct 3 times in four.

A school of thought in poker vrelies wholly on maths, & says that if you have the correct price, irrespective of most other factors, you must call. It's not QUITE that simple of course, but if you try & build a strategy around maths, you won't go far wrong. The maths, over time, are ALWAYS correct. 

• edited April 2012
    I suggest there should be a "letting off steam" forum topic. The idea is that your post is automatically deleted after 10 mins ( by which time, hopefully you are back in control of your senses ). This way you and others don't have the embarrassment of reading it later, let alone TK having to have the saintly patience to post a sensible reply.
    Posted by simonnatur
    You Sir, I like.

However, as to your idea, I prefer to solve problems from the bottom up, so to speak. Go the the source, or the cause, of the problem, rather than try to fix it after it has broken. If we do that, the problem never arises!

I'd be sure - or at least hopeful - that some of these, err, less erudite Posts, are due to "tilt", or inability to control one's emotions. As such, my solution would be to suggest that some people need to think before they Post. The internet is changing the way we communicate, but rushing to type the first thing that comes into our head has an unfailing tendency to make us look "not very bright". 

Much of the offensive, as opposed to plain dumb, insults aimed at me or Sky Poker are deleted before you or anyone else sees them. The oddity is this - when I am out & about, I always wear my Sky Poker patch, & a lot of people know me anyway, from the TV or whatever, & of course I have been on the scene a long time. And not once, EVER, has anyone said those sort of rude or dumb things to my face. 

A psychology student could write an entire dissertation upon that.    

• edited April 2012
    Hi Tikay, I hear that you might be going to Perth, Australia next year - well, just to say that if you do you will love the place. I go for a month every year, round about Jan/Feb and have been about 10 times. Fabulous! I think you will appreciate Fremantle especially. I play on Sky Poker while there, different time zone of course, but have no trouble with connection. Also, how is Ilkeston faring these days? I lived there and had a small business there in Lord Haddon Road for a while 7 years ago. Best wishes Bunski (Alan Payne)
  • edited April 2012
    Hi Tikay, enjoy your shows on tele.

Here's the thing. I've been on Sky Poker now, for two and half years. Over that time, I've studied the game, I've read loads of books, I've grown, I think, as a player, and I now think I'm a good player. I don't make mistakes. If I'm ever going into a race, I make sure I'm favourite. I have made notes on about 700 other players, so that I know their weaknesses. I reckon I'm doing everything right.

However, luck. It would seem I don't have any at all. My convertion rate on races is less than 20%, despite nearly always being a favourite going into them. My question is, what am I doing wrong? It's got to the stage, now, where I can't even play Aces cos they lose, for me, 90% of the time. What do I do about this? You can't say, hang in there, your luck will change, because I've been here for two and half years!!!

I don't think it's something wrong with my game, I can't help but feel I'm often playing bingo. 

I did try writing to Sky about this a year ago, and they just got defensive and said their games are fair.

But i have to say, given my experience of this site, that no-one can be this unlucky. Look at my history and you'll see.

Cheers

Mike Cullen "Thebigwave"
  • edited April 2012
    Hi Tikay,

I have to say thank you for running the Viva las Vegas super satellite.  I thought it was a super idea and great tournament structure.

Big congrats to Sam for taking it down, a very popular winner.

My question is, given the overlay, is there any plans to run another one for next month?  I reckon, given the right promotion, it would easily make the 230 runners.