You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ask Tikay?

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Hi Tikay,

If you have 2 minutes will you please view this hand for me and advise me on where I went wrong as I still can't figure it out. What could I do better next time?

Hand number #572781566 (14:37 09/10/2012)

Many thanks,

Kirky
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay?:
    Hi Tikay, If you have 2 minutes will you please view this hand for me and advise me on where I went wrong as I still can't figure it out. What could I do better next time? Hand number #572781566 (14:37 09/10/2012) Many thanks, Kirky
    Posted by kirkystar
    Hi Kirky,

the best thing to do here is head over to the Poker Clinic section and post it in there. If you're not sure how to do this there is a thread telling you how to do it m8, no-one has access to your HH apart from you

Hope this helps

oh and welcome to the Community :)

• edited October 2012

Hi Kirky,

Basically, "what scouse red" said.

I do not have any access to players Hand Histories, so you'll need to tell us, or me, the details please, either here, or in the Poker Clinic.

I would just add, even without seeing the hand, that the very nature of poker means that sometimes we play a hand perfectly, trap the villain all ends up, & still lose it. Don't be beating yourself up over a single hand, session, or evening.

Do the right things well, remember the basics, keep the discipline, & you'll be just fine in the longer-term. Never judge your performance or ability on a single hand, session, or even week.

Swings gonna swing, swongs gonna swong.  
  • edited October 2012
    I guess you have forgotten to reply to my previous post.
    Posted by GreekWay
    Probably....

Sorry George, I'll go look for it now.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Hi Tony, Looks that everyone enjoyed the Grand Final so Sky staff should be very happy about it. Unfortunately, I wasn't at DTD. I was fortunate thought to lay in a Greek beach and do some sunbathing. I saw a picture of you on your iPad, theferore the comment. I will probably be at the DTD for the SPT in October so I will hopefully meet you there and chat for many things including Omaha. I was thinking about the whole rake system the last month cause I have been playing Omaha for couple of hours and I realised this: I was playing for couple of hours during the day and I have hardly reached 400 points. My thoughts were that I have paid so much rake so I should be rewarded more. Omaha produces far much rake for the sites  as you know so for me as an Omaha player the change is out of the question. I understand and I have also seen he fuss of a possible change happening at a thread that was posted last March and I believe that everyone has his/her own opinion and as you say its difficult to keep everyone happy. But because all the big poker sites have gone to weight contributed rake systems I suppose that this is the way forward. It has been on for a long time now and no one has any big objections so I suppose everyone or almost everyone is happy about it.  Regarding the technological stuff I understand that there are so many requests by everyone and I believe Sky has to prioritise them. I understand that resizeable tables will be the big thing coming out soon, but I also believe hat a completely new redesign of the software is needed in order to make it quicker as its too heavy now cause of the Adobe Flash thing. BUT I can understand that not everyone agrees so I am just saying. Swings in Omaha are happening so often and its one of the reasons of its fun. You can be winning on the flop, losing at the turn and then win at the river. It's just he nature of the game. I have playing and running good the last month and that's why I am considering coming to the SPT in October.  Take care now. I hope I will see you and chat at the DTD.
    Posted by GreekWay
    I can see why I never replied now, there's some heavy stuff there......!

Happy to discuss all of that at DTD this weekend, I'll be there from Friday evening until close of play Sunday. I'll mostly be commentating during play on Saturday & Sunday, but I'm sure we'll find time to chat, & maybe play a little Omaha on Friday night if you are up for it. In fact we could oplay some Omaha AND chat through these things, as I don't play many hands......;)

If you pay more rake, as you suggest, you DO get rewarded accordingly by C4P, as I understand it. 

Omaha produces more rake for the site? Not really. The amount of Omaha played here, relative to total site traffic, is extremely small, just as it is on every Online Poker site, & in Live Poker.

Whether we like it or not, Omaha remains a minority interest game, & in my view, it is still decreasing in popularity, in Live Poker it is tough to find a game anywhere these days. Just because you & I enjoy it does not mean many others do. The % of Omaha based traffic on any poker site is extremely small, just a single figure % of the whole.

"weight contributed rake system"?

As you suggest, any changes will upset many, & please many, rock & a hard place & all that. The Business has considered this matter very carefully indeed - "weighed it up" you might say - but you'll have to wait & see for now. 

A complete redesign of the software is required because "the Adobe thing makes it too heavy". I think you are making an assumption there which is wholly incorrect........;)

See you at the weekend, look forward to meeting you. How will I recognize you? I'm middle-aged, startlingly tall & handsome, & I'll wear a carnation in my button-hole. And you?......

• edited October 2012

Hi Tikay,

Just thought I'd pop in & say hi.

Also, this is what you wrote a couple of pages back:

"Pat Walsh?
    Understood. People can come across badly online sometimes, just because well written communication does not come easily to many of us. Real life is the test, & I met him recently. Such as one can tell from a brief encounter, he ticked all the boxes for me -a firm handshake, ready smile, & good eye-contact. Those three things are a great litmus-test of a person's character, & I think he's a good egg."

You realise all three things are also the hallmark of a good con-man? ;-)

Look forward to seeing you & the crew in Notts this weekend.

• edited October 2012
    Hi Tikay, Just thought I'd pop in & say hi. Also, this is what you wrote a couple of pages back: "Pat Walsh? Understood. People can come across badly online sometimes, just because well written communication does not come easily to many of us. Real life is the test, & I met him recently. Such as one can tell from a brief encounter, he ticked all the boxes for me -a firm handshake, ready smile, & good eye-contact. Those three things are a great litmus-test of a person's character, & I think he's a good egg." You realise all three things are also the hallmark of a good con-man? ;-) Look forward to seeing you & the crew in Notts this weekend.
    Posted by JingleMa
    Lol, that is also true, & I've got it wrong more times than enough, misjudged people badly. But how should we live our lives - mistrust everyone?

I've been made a right fool of, times a plenty, by trusting folks who turned out to be wrong 'uns, but that's just life, you just have to "pay the bill" & move on.

For balance, if I had to use one criteria for judging people at first sight, it would be good eye-contact. Wrong 'uns struggle with that, but of course we cannot do it in the "virtual" ((online) world.

I hope I was right as to Pat, but if I were wrong, as I say, it would not be the first time, or the last.

See you Saturday. Firm handshake, good eye-contact......;)

• edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Lol, that is also true, & I've got it wrong more times than enough, misjudged people badly. But how should we live our lives - mistrust everyone? I've been made a right fool of, times a plenty, by trusting folks who turned out to be wrong 'uns, but that's just life, you just have to "pay the bill" & move on.   For balance, if I had to use one criteria for judging people at first sight, it would be good eye-contact. Wrong 'uns struggle with that, but of course we cannot do it in the "virtual" ((online) world. I hope I was right as to Pat, but if I were wrong, as I say, it would not be the first time, or the last. See you Saturday. Firm handshake, good eye-contact......;)
    Posted by Tikay10
    Lol, no worries Tikay - I was just having a joke @ Pat's expense - I've posted abt this on his diary aswell.

FWIW, he was well chuffed to meet you & was convinced u had no clue who I was as I stood next to him like a lemon while u were singing his praises & telling him how much u loved his diary!

Really looking4ward2SPT now, c u there!
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : I can see why I never replied now, there's some heavy stuff there......! Happy to discuss all of that at DTD this weekend, I'll be there from Friday evening until close of play Sunday. I'll mostly be commentating during play on Saturday & Sunday, but I'm sure we'll find time to chat, & maybe play a little Omaha on Friday night if you are up for it. In fact we could oplay some Omaha AND chat through these things, as I don't play many hands......;) If you pay more rake, as you suggest, you DO get rewarded accordingly by C4P, as I understand it.  Omaha produces more rake for the site? Not really. The amount of Omaha played here, relative to total site traffic, is extremely small, just as it is on every Online Poker site, & in Live Poker. Whether we like it or not, Omaha remains a minority interest game, & in my view, it is still decreasing in popularity, in Live Poker it is tough to find a game anywhere these days. Just because you & I enjoy it does not mean many others do. The % of Omaha based traffic on any poker site is extremely small, just a single figure % of the whole. "weight contributed rake system"? As you suggest, any changes will upset many, & please many, rock & a hard place & all that. The Business has considered this matter very carefully indeed - " weighed it up " you might say - but you'll have to wait & see for now.  A complete redesign of the software is required because "the Adobe thing makes it too heavy". I think you are making an assumption there which is wholly incorrect........;) See you at the weekend, look forward to meeting you. How will I recognize you? I'm middle-aged, startlingly tall & handsome, & I'll wear a carnation in my button-hole. And you?......
    Posted by Tikay10

You didn't seem to get my point on the rake thing. I know and I admit that Omaha will ever ever be as popular as Holdem for reasons with both know. My point is that an Omaha table compared to a Holdem table of the same level produces way more rake for the site cause of the increased action and the existance of big pots very very often. Am I correct on this?

So I believe with the existing C4P system Omaha players shouldn't be so happy(I don't know how to describe it). They produce more rake than a Holdem player of the same level, but they are treated as a Holdem player by getting the same C4Ps.

Regarding the Adobe issue, I have to guess that Sky's platform is much more "heavier" than most of the platforms of other poker sites. From my personal experience I can get at least 8 tables on other sites running perfectly and on Sky I get lag issues when I open a 4th one. Same computer, same internet connection. All are the same. So I believe the problem is not on my end.

I will be at DTD on Saturday afternoon. I will come to say hello before the tour starts as we are going to be busy when it starts for different reasons. You seem to be like me in an older age. I am a tall, handsome guy also. I am going to be wearing my Team51 hoodie so its going to be easy to recognise me. Also you maybe remember me from SPT Brighton. 

I will remember to do some eye contact and a firm handshake. :)

• edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : You didn't seem to get my point on the rake thing. I know and I admit that Omaha will ever ever be as popular as Holdem for reasons with both know. My point is that an Omaha table compared to a Holdem table of the same level produces way more rake for the site cause of the increased action and the existance of big pots very very often. Am I correct on this? So I believe with the existing C4P system Omaha players shouldn't be so happy(I don't know how to describe it). They produce more rake than a Holdem player of the same level, but they are treated as a Holdem player by getting the same C4Ps. Regarding the Adobe issue, I have to guess that Sky's platform is much more "heavier" than most of the platforms of other poker sites. From my personal experience I can get at least 8 tables on other sites running perfectly and on Sky I get lag issues when I open a 4th one. Same computer, same internet connection. All are the same. So I believe the problem is not on my end. I will be at DTD on Saturday afternoon. I will come to say hello before the tour starts as we are going to be busy when it starts for different reasons. You seem to be like me in an older age. I am a tall, handsome guy also. I am going to be wearing my Team51 hoodie so its going to be easy to recognise me. Also you maybe remember me from SPT Brighton.  I will remember to do some eye contact and a firm handshake. :)
    Posted by GreekWay
    Hi Greeky,

Rake. Do other sites differentiate between Omaha & Hold 'Em? Omaha Volume is miniscule on all sites, so it is not something that is addressed much, I imagine.

The Adobe issue that you mention.

Read my post again, please, & imagine there were gaps between the lines........

We can chat on Saturday, anyway.

I "sort of" remember you from Brighton, but I meet lots of people, everywhere, well over 1,000 at SPT's alone in the course of every SPT Season (& there have been four, I think) so I often struggle to put names to faces. My apologies.  

• edited October 2012
    Good evening Tikay,
    I'm a new member , have not yet played on line but have watched poker on tv for some time.
    Can you list me all the poker terms and their meanings ie the ones that are applicable around the table eg button, etc etc
    Thank you
    Pel52
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Hi Greeky, Rake. Do other sites differentiate between Omaha & Hold 'Em? Omaha Volume is miniscule on all sites, so it is not something that is addressed much, I imagine. The Adobe issue that you mention. Read my post again, please, & imagine there were gaps between the lines........ We can chat on Saturday, anyway. I "sort of" remember you from Brighton, but I meet lots of people, everywhere, well over 1,000 at SPT's alone in the course of every SPT Season (& there have been four, I think) so I often struggle to put names to faces. My apologies.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Other sites use the weight contributed rake system which is far more fare amongst players imo. The more rake you pay the more money you get back. Everyone has an opinion and thats mine. 

If you can get a doc from the Skypoker HQ about the rake I paid the August-Semptember period we can discuss things further.

We have so many topics to discuss in the SPT to be honest. Can you take a day off?  Joking.

Looking forward to meeting you. Roll on Saturday. I cant wait.
  • edited October 2012
    Good evening Tikay, I'm a new member , have not yet played on line but have watched poker on tv for some time. Can you list me all the poker terms and their meanings ie the ones that are applicable around the table eg button, etc etc Thank you Pel52
    Posted by pel52
    This may save Tikay some time: 

• edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Other sites use the weight contributed rake system which is far more fare amongst players imo. The more rake you pay the more money you get back. Everyone has an opinion and thats mine.  If you can get a doc from the Skypoker HQ about the rake I paid the August-Semptember period we can discuss things further. We have so many topics to discuss in the SPT to be honest. Can you take a day off?  Joking. Looking forward to meeting you. Roll on Saturday. I cant wait.
    Posted by GreekWay
    Hi again George.

For commercial reasons, I'm constrained from saying some things, certainly at this moment in time, but I'm trying my very best to "steer you".

You seem to be suggesting we disagree on Contributed Rake, or that the business had made a decision against it. I have not said either of those things. It might be suggested that I have been cryptic, though - guilty as charged!

Some things I'm not in a position, or allowed, to say, as they are outwith my brief. I try to answer any & all questions (assuming they are civil, & not rude, & yours are always the former) openly & honestly. Please try & understand that you put me in a spot with that question (and the Adobe one) hence I initially swerved it. It may have been better if I had just said "no comment". 

PLEASE don't assume anything, as you may be jumping the gun with your assumptions.

Look forward to seeing you, & chatting, on Saturday.       
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Hi again George.   For commercial reasons, I'm constrained from saying some things, certainly at this moment in time, but I'm trying my very best to "steer you". You seem to be suggesting we disagree on Contributed Rake, or that the business had made a decision against it. I have not said either of those things. It might be suggested that I have been cryptic, though - guilty as charged! Some things I'm not in a position, or allowed, to say, as they are outwith my brief. I try to answer any & all questions (assuming they are civil, & not rude, & yours are always the former) openly & honestly. Please try & understand that you put me in a spot with that question (and the Adobe one) hence I initially swerved it. It may have been better if I had just said "no comment".  PLEASE don't assume anything, as you may be jumping the gun with your assumptions.   Look forward to seeing you, & chatting, on Saturday.       
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hi Tony,

I understand your position and please accept my apologies if I have put you in a tough spot. I didn't mean to. I have never chatted with a poker site's representative before so I maybe don't know where to put a line and dont cross it. I know that you are a Sky employee and you have to follow certain lines and guidances by the Suits.

I really appreciate that you didn't reply with a "No comment" responce. As I customer generally I don't like them.

Its really nice to have a person like you to answer customer's posts,requests,comments,rants etc etc. Keep it up.

Cu @DTD on Saturday. Look for the tall, handsome guy. That would be me.

PS: I really liked it calling me Greeky. Sounds fun.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : This may save Tikay some time:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_poker_terms
    Posted by patwalshh
    Thanx for your help
  • edited October 2012
    Good evening Tikay, I'm a new member , have not yet played on line but have watched poker on tv for some time. Can you list me all the poker terms and their meanings ie the ones that are applicable around the table eg button, etc etc Thank you Pel52
    Posted by pel52
    Hi Pel, welcome aboard!

Young Mr Walsh has answered your question, & saved me a job, but it's always good to welcome new players, so if you have any further questions, fire away.

I do hope you enjoy your poker. I think that would be my first tip to any new poker player - enjoy it, it's just a game, but it is a great game.

You'd be surprised how many don't "get" poker, but it is what we make it. Which should be "fun". 

Good luck you.  

• edited October 2012
    i won the spt sat last night and got a seat, is it a 2 day event? if so where is the best place to stay if you make the second day?
  • edited October 2012
    i won the spt sat last night and got a seat, is it a 2 day event? if so where is the best place to stay if you make the second day?
    Posted by boulton016

Here is a list with hotels which are close to the DTD:

All a short taxi

Holiday Inn Castle Marina

Nottingham South Travelodge

Budget

Commodore Hotel

B and B's

Hylands, Beeston

• edited October 2012
    Hi Tikay,

I don't suppose you could reply to my PM? :)

Tomorrow night would be great, or if not, I'll be at DTD over the weekend, so anytime next week.
  • edited October 2012
    Hi Tikay, I don't suppose you could reply to my PM? :) Tomorrow night would be great, or if not, I'll be at DTD over the weekend, so anytime next week.
    Posted by Lambert180
    I will Lambert, but I'm a bit under it at the moment, I am getting 10 or 20 every day, & can only reply to half that number, so please be patient & bear with me, I'll reply to all of them soonest.
  • edited October 2012
    Posted by boulton016
    Top bombing mate.

The list Greeky gave is as good as it gets, though it depends if you have a car to some degree.

Most regulars stay at Castle Marina, Notts, which is 3 or 4 miles away, maybe a fiver in a taxi, but most folks share taxis.

I stay at a Days Inn in Leicester, it is only 20 mins away, but it means a bit of peace & quiet when I get back to the hotel, & it has good facilities close at hand, & is well cheap.

See you at DTD, make sure you introduce yourself.
  • edited October 2012

Paul (Lambert).

I did reply to you, according to my records, on October 1st I believe.

You then wrote to me again on a delicate matter, and I did not really want to commit to paper on that. Come see me this weekend & I'll discuss it with you. It is a really awkward situation, actually, but I'm trying to do what I can.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Hi Pel, welcome aboard! Young Mr Walsh has answered your question, & saved me a job, but it's always good to welcome new players, so if you have any further questions, fire away. I do hope you enjoy your poker. I think that would be my first tip to any new poker player - enjoy it, it's just a game, but it is a great game. You'd be surprised how many don't "get" poker, but it is what we make it. Which should be "fun".  Good luck you.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hi Tikay,
    Thanx for your warm welcome.
    What tables / tournaments do you recommend I start with to get me used to the  software, speed of game,etc?
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Hi Tikay, Thanx for your warm welcome. What tables / tournaments do you recommend I start with to get me used to the  software, speed of game,etc?
    Posted by pel52
    I dunno if TK will be around on this thread until next week, but I've seen him answer this question lots of times and he always reccommends the micro level double your money (dym) sit and go games, and deepstack multi table tournaments. 

6 players start in the dyms, the last 3 remaining double their buy in. 

It will help you learn the basics if you're a new player without risking alot of money, and you should cash in around 50% of the games so you can make a little deposit go a long way.

If you want something different try the £1 and £2 deepstacked multi table tournaments. There's quite a few between 7pm and 9pm, and I know there's at least one during the day @ 2.20pm.

I'll be in it, maybe cya there! :)

• edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Hi Tikay, Thanx for your warm welcome. What tables / tournaments do you recommend I start with to get me used to the  software, speed of game,etc?
    Posted by pel52
    Depends what you most enjoy, & can sensibly afford, really.

If you don't want to spend too much, & enjoy a nice deepstack Tourney, I cannot recommend strongly enough something called "DTD Forum" on Monday nights.

It is just "Community" regulars who enjoy their poker exactly as pokeer was intended. They run a little league, too, with added bonus prizes & stuff.

It consists of three Tourneys, called DTD1, DTD2, & DTD3.

They cost £2.20, £1.10, & £2.20, so £5.50 in total.

Honestly, I cannot recommend anything better - you'll love it.

The lads will, or may, invite you to join a Team, too. You don't have to, but it's great craic, & with team-mates to rail you, it enhances the fun, & they have their own Team Pages, or Facebook pages, all sorts.

There are 6 or 7 Teams, I forget all their names, but they each have a sort of different "character, feel & ethos".  TKP, Team Hit Squad, Team 51, Team Diamond, Team Ninja, Team Forum DTD, others too I expect. (Apologies to those I forgot).

Failing that, as Dohhhh says, DYM's are very low variance, & easy to cash in, relatively speaking.

Good luck.  

• edited October 2012
    great start 2 nite trip 666s out next game first hand trip 999s out so sky
  • edited October 2012
    Paul (Lambert). I did reply to you, according to my records, on October 1st I believe. You then wrote to me again on a delicate matter, and I did not really want to commit to paper on that. Come see me this weekend & I'll discuss it with you. It is a really awkward situation, actually, but I'm trying to do what I can.
    Posted by Tikay10
    You've confused me a little here Tony... I really don't remember mentioning anything delicate, can only think of one thing you mean but as far as I know it's been sorted... to a point. That wasn't the bit of my PM that I was asking you to reply to anyway, but either way, I'll speak to you tomorrow at DTD.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : I dunno if TK will be around on this thread until next week, but I've seen him answer this question lots of times and he always reccommends the micro level double your money (dym) sit and go games, and deepstack multi table tournaments.  6 players start in the dyms, the last 3 remaining double their buy in.  It will help you learn the basics if you're a new player without risking alot of money, and you should cash in around 50% of the games so you can make a little deposit go a long way. If you want something different try the £1 and £2 deepstacked multi table tournaments. There's quite a few between 7pm and 9pm, and I know there's at least one during the day @ 2.20pm. I'll be in it, maybe cya there! :)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Thanks DOHHHHHHH
  • edited October 2012
    hi tikay   what,s the difference between bad luck and running bad about 2000 lol