You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ask Tikay?

Comments

• edited October 2012
    can i change my name on site to donkey cause thats how i,m playing lately hehaw
  • edited October 2012
    hi  tikay is there still plans for another uk cash game to be showen on the channel and if so when? 
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay?:
    hi  tikay is there still plans for another uk cash game to be showen on the channel and if so when? 
    Posted by Russ76
    Hi Russ.

Spooky timing that......

We were actually discussing this yesterday, & we have a further meeting about it this morning.

It had been planned to record it earlier this year - in the Summer - but plans of mice & men & all that......

The latest proposal is to record it late this year, but do it quite different to last time. We even got so far yesterday as to create the core of the proposed player list, which we will develop further. The proposed player list would be very different to what seen on TV Poker shows before, because I think there is a need to shake the tree here, most "traditional" TV Poker Shows have become a bit same old same old.

IF it gets recorded later this year, it would likely go to air next February or March, but there is still a lot of ground to cover, & the GO Button has not yet been pressed.

If you were in charge, what sort of player line up would YOU like to see?  

• edited October 2012
     IF it gets recorded later this year, it would likely go to air next February or March
    Posted by Tikay10
    TK, how crazy would the idea to show a 'live' UK cash game sound?

6 months+ to produce a series of shows sounds like a very long time to me. 

Can you just not take for example the Tuesday night show, invite 6/7/8 site regs and pros, let them play live for 5 hours with the usual analystm presenter & maybe guest talking over the action as you would a live show?

Fill the 'quiet spots' with the usual 'chat box' or site 'current affairs' topics? ukops/promos, even interact with the forum as usual, etc?

Sounds like a great idea to me unless I'm missing something.

-----

Also, was reading a diary on another forum the other day and came accross this post....

DTD alltime money winners

77th       Jason Herbert   $ 52,924
    78th       Billy Defty   $ 52,659
    79th       Mitchell Johnson   $ 52,598
    80th       Paul Jenkinson   $ 52,533

Do you know much about the guy in 78th? I've never heard of him. Wheres he from? It's a v uncommon surname we share so I was shocked to see a Defty on a list of poker money winners! 

• edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : TK, how crazy would the idea to show a 'live' UK cash game sound? 6 months+ to produce a series of shows sounds like a very long time to me.  Can you just not take for example the Tuesday night show, invite 6/7/8 site regs and pros, let them play live for 5 hours with the usual analystm presenter & maybe guest talking over the action as you would a live show? Fill the 'quiet spots' with the usual 'chat box' or site 'current affairs' topics? ukops/promos, even interact with the forum as usual, etc? Sounds like a great idea to me unless I'm missing something. ----- Also, was reading a diary on another forum the other day and came accross this post.... DTD alltime money winners 77th       Jason Herbert   $ 52,924 78th       Billy Defty   $ 52,659 79th       Mitchell Johnson   $ 52,598 80th       Paul Jenkinson   $ 52,533 Do you know much about the guy in 78th? I've never heard of him. Wheres he from? It's a v uncommon surname we share so I was shocked to see a Defty on a list of poker money winners! 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Probably best not to read other poker Forums or diaries, they are all rubbish. Mostly.

Yes, I well recall Billy Defty binking, it was his first & last cash at DTD. Have sent you an e-Mail with some Defty details.

I reckon it was you.

Is this you?

• edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : TK, how crazy would the idea to show a 'live' UK cash game sound? 6 months+ to produce a series of shows sounds like a very long time to me.  Can you just not take for example the Tuesday night show, invite 6/7/8 site regs and pros, let them play live for 5 hours with the usual analystm presenter & maybe guest talking over the action as you would a live show? Fill the 'quiet spots' with the usual 'chat box' or site 'current affairs' topics? ukops/promos, even interact with the forum as usual, etc? Sounds like a great idea to me unless I'm missing something. ----- Also, was reading a diary on another forum the other day and came accross this post.... DTD alltime money winners 77th       Jason Herbert   $ 52,924 78th       Billy Defty   $ 52,659 79th       Mitchell Johnson   $ 52,598 80th       Paul Jenkinson   $ 52,533 Do you know much about the guy in 78th? I've never heard of him. Wheres he from? It's a v uncommon surname we share so I was shocked to see a Defty on a list of poker money winners! 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Very (crazy) & yes, you are missing something.....;)

Production standards would need to be much higher than for a regular Show, as the whole idea is to get it on Sky Sports, & by doing so, open it up to a much wider audience. And from that, raise the profile of the Site to those who currently do not use it, or even play poker. Higher Production standards = longer time in Edit. We don't have "spare" staff, so one of the existing Team has to spend a bunch of time in Edit, & then the commentary has ro be overlaid. An "as played" commentary would not work, as a great deal of cash game action is way too boring for TV viewers, too much "dead air", even though it may interest a few poker-geeks.  

Remember, whilst there is a desire to satisfy the existing, "captive", 861 audience, most of whom already play on the site, or know of it, there is an absolute necessity to reach out to those who are NOT currently players on Sky Poker. 

The Show is frequently criticised, sometime fairly, sometimes not so much, but it MUST be seen in that context. Keeping the current players happy is one thing, but most Sites do not need a TV Channel to do that. A huge benefit of the Channel is it's ability to deliver over & above the existing player-base. Without that, it would never have existed.   
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Hi Russ. Spooky timing that...... We were actually discussing this yesterday, & we have a further meeting about it this morning. It had been planned to record it earlier this year - in the Summer - but plans of mice & men & all that...... The latest proposal is to record it late this year, but do it quite different to last time. We even got so far yesterday as to create the core of the proposed player list, which we will develop further. The proposed player list would be very different to what seen on TV Poker shows before, because I think there is a need to shake the tree here, most "traditional" TV Poker Shows have become a bit same old same old. IF it gets recorded later this year, it would likely go to air next February or March, but there is still a lot of ground to cover, & the GO Button has not yet been pressed. If you were in charge, what sort of player line up would YOU like to see?    
    Posted by Tikay10
    ta for reply as for a line up hmmm to be honest what was great about the last one was the idea of having players of the site mixed with pros, but to add a twist how about some kind of comp to win a seat(or seats) in the game so anyone who has the roll has a chance to play
  • edited October 2012
    Tikay why is there no UKOPS satellites, the whole point of them is to give the smaller bank rolled player a chance to play in these bigger games, well it appears the little guy has been dumped on again, just like the players who dont play cash, no promotions for mtt players, but it would appear unless your bank rolled sky doesn't want to know you anymore, i do hope iv'e got this wrong but with the satellites going missing i can't see it

• edited October 2012
    Tikay why is there no UKOPS satellites, the whole point of them is to give the smaller bank rolled player a chance to play in these bigger games, well it appears the little guy has been dumped on again, just like the players who dont play cash, no promotions for mtt players, but it would appear unless your bank rolled sky doesn't want to know you anymore, i do hope iv'e got this wrong but with the satellites going missing i can't see it
    Posted by Herbie536
    they all appear to be there in the lobby to me Herbie 
  • edited October 2012
    Hi Tikay,
    Have you noticed the thread "Reduced Timebar in DYMs"
    Would anybody from sky like to comment?
  • edited October 2012
    Hi Tikay

+1 to Wynnes question. 10 seconds just doesnt give you a chance to think although that might be to my advantage :-).

Seriously though seem to be a lot of regulars pretty upset reading the thread especially as it wasnt announced beforehand to anyone and ive found recently numbers playing at my low level have dropped off and dont want any more to go.
  • edited October 2012
    Hi Tikay +1 to Wynnes question. 10 seconds just doesnt give you a chance to think although that might be to my advantage :-). Seriously though seem to be a lot of regulars pretty upset reading the thread especially as it wasnt announced beforehand to anyone and ive found recently numbers playing at my low level have dropped off and dont want any more to go. 
    Posted by SAV4BP
    Hi Tikay
    100% agree
    How can people multi table with so little time.
    Surely this will affect skypoker's income too if we can't play as many tables.
    Please ask those responsible to reverse this decision.

• edited October 2012

Hi Wynne, SAV, & dragon.

There seems to be a thread discussing this, & I have replied - somewhat vaguely for now I'm afraid - on there.

See
    HERE
  • edited October 2012
    just a quick post to thank Sky, the tv show and forums (fora), for helping get my online play to the standard that hopefully justifies your comments last night, at least some of the time.

and thanks too for filling in at short notice, you do seem to always be there for us.
  • edited October 2012
    just a quick post to thank Sky, the tv show and forums (fora), for helping get my online play to the standard that hopefully justifies your comments last night, at least some of the time. and thanks too for filling in at short notice, you do seem to always be there for us.
    Posted by GELDY

lol

• edited October 2012
    hello chaps quick question.. my laptops on its way out and im restricted to how many games i can play at once on sky, if i play one or more games the laptop lags resulting in me getting timed out ... although on pokerstars i can comfortably play 20 tables at once although i much prefer sky ... directed at the multitablers on sky ... what kind of laptop (memory) is ideal to play 6 games or more on here without any issues anyone ? thank you 
  • edited October 2012
    withdrew 4 weeks ago big mistake since lost every nite so lefl it alone first nite back waste of time site is a joke lesson dont withdraw just keep loosing site will love u
  • edited October 2012
    new nite same old same old best hand every hand beat on river every time thats wy called sky joker site should be closed downi understand win some loose some but after every time i have withdrew weeks of nitemare beats  dont say happens just unreal
  • edited October 2012
    just a quick question....  does the main event and mini jackpot apply to the UKOPS aswell? 
  • edited October 2012
    hello chap s quick que stion.. my laptop s on it s way out and im re stricted to how many game s i can play at once on  sky, if i play one or more game s the laptop lag s re sulting in me getting timed out ... although on poker star s i can comforta bly play 20 tables at once although i much prefer sky ... directed at the multitabler s on  sky ... what kind of laptop (memory) i s ideal to play 6 game s or more on here without any i s sue s anyone ? thank you 
    Posted by LOL_CHECK
    Hi Mr Lol.

Apologies for the delay in replying.

I don't know, as I'm not a Multi-Tabler, but I'll ask around for you. I know that Scotty77, for example, plays a dozen or more tables without problems, so I'll ask him.
  • edited October 2012
    just a quick question....  does the main event and mini jackpot apply to the UKOPS aswell? 
    Posted by nffc4eva
    Morning.

Yes, it does.

During UKOPS, it will continue as usual, on the 8pm UKOPS "Main" & 8.15 UKOPS "Mini" on all 8 evenings.

Unless it goes this week, the Jackpot during UKOPS week will be £8,800......
  • edited October 2012
    [QUOTE]just a quick post to thank Sky, the tv show and forums (fora), for helping get my online play to the standard that hopefully justifies your comments last night, at least some of the time. and thanks too for filling in at short notice, you do seem to always be there for us.
    Posted by GELDY

Morning GELDY.

Personally, my ability to help people play the game better is limited to basics, just the "A" of "A-B-C" poker maybe, but collectively, yes, I think the other Analysts & some of the Guests have been a tremendous resource.

My comments as to your play on Tuesday's Show were sincere. I only had to watch you for 3 or 4 hands, & I insta knew you had everything right, it was a pleasure to watch. It had been a particularly testing evening for me, with players limping with hands like Q-2 off from a 7xBB Stack, & it is hard to analyse that stuff in a manner that is not rude, or condescending, so your play was quite a contrast.

I was more than happy to fill in at short notice, in fact I did it again on Sunday, & I'm more than happy to be the 861 water-carrier. I know my station in life. ;)
  • edited October 2012
    Tikay,

Just started playing Omaha Hi-Lo SnGs and thoroughly enjoying the game though does tax the brain somewhat.  I understand that this is more of a post-flop game but i was wondering what you look for in your starting hands when you decide to enter a pot? is it pairs, A2, A3, connecting cards??

Just curious if trying to get a hand with high and low possiblities is the best approach

Cheers in advance
  • edited October 2012
    I might be wrong about this D96, but I'm sure it's more important to focus on having a high hand, because a high hand will either win 50% or 100% of the pot everytime, whereas sometimes there just isn't a low hand possible due to there not being 3 community cards 8 or below.

• edited October 2012

Morning D.  

Great question, & Lambert has answered it pretty succinctly.  

Firstly, yes, all forms of Omaha are post-flop games, MUCH more so than Hold ‘Em, so we do see a lot more flops, & limp-calling to take a flop is quite normal, though always better to be in Position, which is far more important in Omaha than in Hold ‘Em.  

What sort of starting hands? 

I think we must firstly prioritise what we are trying to do in Hi-Lo – which is to SCOOP – take BOTH pots. That is the main aim.  

A subsidiary aim is to have a lock on one or other of the two Pots, in which case instead of trying to force players who are on the other hand to fold, we must try & keep them in. Which is back-to-front thinking compared to what we would normally think.  

The danger here is getting “quartered”. It is quite common for 2 or even 3 players to have the nut low (everyone plays A-2 etc) so when we are multi-way it is MUCH better to have the lock on the High hand, as that gives us half the pot, with all the Low hands having to chop the other half.  

So, these would be my priority aims, remembering, as Lambert said, that EVERY pot has a “High”, but only some pots have a qualifying Low.

Most players concentrate on the Low, too, so we get huge value with High Only pots. 

1)      Good High hands.

2)      Good High Low hands.

3)      Good Low hands. 

I’m not interested in being Heads-Up with a Low only hand though, there is not enough upside, & too much downside, the Low may not even come. At best, we split, what's the point?

So I want multi-way pots when I have a good low, but be careful about being quartered.

Best starting hands? Unlike Hold ‘Em, where we know that A-A or K-K is far & away a huge favourite, there are no Omaha hands that are a huge favourite, the game does not work that way.

OK, A-A-K-K double-suited is the best hand pre, but it is only 1 pair,  & it plays very badly multi-way, & if there are 2 or three players on the Low, they might well catch 2 pair, trips, or the wheel.

But it may not come a low, & you then need to drive them all out on a flop which does not favour low hands.

If we have A-A-K-K & the flop is J-9-8, say, we MUST bet, as the Low hands can’t call.

J-8-6 ditto, as they are now calling to chop.

If there is ONE oppo, we need to force him out, if there are two or more, & we think both are low-drawing, we don’t mind them calling. 

Ideal starting hands?

I like a suited ace, low kicker, with two broadway cards, let us say A-K-J-2, or A-Q-J-3, those sort of hands. If we can be double-suited, all the better.

Incidentally, when I busted the WSOP 8 or better Event, I tried to pinch the Pot pre from the Button with a lovely High Only hand – K-Q-J-10 DS.

The guy who looked me up had me abso crushed, he had A-K-10-2.

So feel free to ignore my advice!

I also played the £250 8 or Better at The Vic this week, & exited in spectacular fashion, ignoring all my own advice……..

I had the low locked up, the nuts, in a monster 4 way pot, & I tried to rep the High as I had the Ace of Clubs on a three Club turn.  

Incredibly, NO players had a club in their hand, but everyone called (it was a chip-leader pot) it was Top Set, v nut high straight/2nd nut low, & someone with a bag of spanners.

Bluffing in 8 or Better is extremely difficult, you have to be so careful, but I had a reserve parachute with my nut low, so it seemed fine. . 

The cards went on their back, & I had the current nut low, but Pete Charalambous shouted out “ooh, everyone has a lock, but tikay can still lose if he gets counterfeited”. 

And I did get counterfeited. Pretty embarrassing really, as I did the walk of shame….. 

Hopefully I’ll join you soon on the Sky Poker Hi-Lo Tables. I love the game, I really do, & played for low stakes it is very relaxing & great fun, but I’ve been a bit fatigued of late, & not felt able to play much at night, but I’m sure it will soon pass.          
  • edited October 2012
    Morning D.    Great question, & Lambert has answered it pretty succinctly.    Firstly, yes, all forms of Omaha are post-flop games, MUCH more so than Hold ‘Em, so we do see a lot more flops, & limp-calling to take a flop is quite normal, though always better to be in Position, which is far more important in Omaha than in Hold ‘Em.    What sort of starting hands?   I think we must firstly prioritise what we are trying to do in Hi-Lo – which is to SCOOP – take BOTH pots. That is the main aim.    A subsidiary aim is to have a lock on one or other of the two Pots, in which case instead of trying to force players who are on the other hand to fold, we must try & keep them in. Which is back-to-front thinking compared to what we would normally think.    The danger here is getting “quartered”. It is quite common for 2 or even 3 players to have the nut low (everyone plays A-2 etc) so when we are multi-way it is MUCH better to have the lock on the High hand, as that gives us half the pot, with all the Low hands having to chop the other half.    So, these would be my priority aims, remembering, as Lambert said, that EVERY pot has a “High”, but only some pots have a qualifying Low. Most players concentrate on the Low, too, so we get huge value with High Only pots.    1)       Good High hands. 2)       Good High Low hands. 3)       Good Low hands.   I’m not interested in being Heads-Up with a Low only hand though, there is not enough upside, & too much downside, the Low may not even come. At best, we split, what's the point? So I want multi-way pots when I have a good low, but be careful about being quartered.   Best starting hands? Unlike Hold ‘Em, where we know that A-A or K-K is far & away a huge favourite, there are no Omaha hands that are a huge favourite, the game does not work that way. OK, A-A-K-K double-suited is the best hand pre, but it is only 1 pair,   & it plays very badly multi-way, & if there are 2 or three players on the Low, they might well catch 2 pair, trips, or the wheel. But it may not come a low, & you then need to drive them all out on a flop which does not favour low hands. If we have A-A-K-K & the flop is J-9-8, say, we MUST bet, as the Low hands can’t call. J-8-6 ditto, as they are now calling to chop. If there is ONE oppo, we need to force him out, if there are two or more, & we think both are low-drawing, we don’t mind them calling.    Ideal starting hands? I like a suited ace, low kicker, with two broadway cards, let us say A-K-J-2, or A-Q-J-3, those sort of hands. If we can be double-suited, all the better.   Incidentally, when I busted the WSOP 8 or better Event, I tried to pinch the Pot pre from the Button with a lovely High Only hand – K-Q-J-10 DS. The guy who looked me up had me abso crushed, he had A-K-10-2. So feel free to ignore my advice!   I also played the £250 8 or Better at The Vic this week, & exited in spectacular fashion, ignoring all my own advice…….. I had the low locked up, the nuts, in a monster 4 way pot, & I tried to rep the High as I had the Ace of Clubs on a three Club turn.    Incredibly, NO players had a club in their hand, but everyone called (it was a chip-leader pot) it was Top Set, v nut high straight/2nd nut low, & someone with a bag of spanners. Bluffing in 8 or Better is extremely difficult, you have to be so careful, but I had a reserve parachute with my nut low, so it seemed fine. .    The cards went on their back, & I had the current nut low, but Pete Charalambous shouted out “ooh, everyone has a lock, but tikay can still lose if he gets counterfeited”.   And I did get counterfeited. Pretty embarrassing really, as I did the walk of shame…..   Hopefully I’ll join you soon on the Sky Poker Hi-Lo Tables. I love the game, I really do, & played for low stakes it is very relaxing & great fun, but I’ve been a bit fatigued of late, & not felt able to play much at night, but I’m sure it will soon pass.                  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Tikay, thanks very much for the comprehensive post - much more than i was expecting. I'll be having that on my screen when i am playing and will hopefully make some progress.  Must admit it is nice to play a different game once in a while and the small stakes SnGs are ideal.  Hopefully see you on them one day.  Thnaks again for taking the time.
  • edited October 2012

You are welcome D.

Quick Omaha Hi-Lo tip whilst I think of it.

In "regular" Omaha (High Only) hands like 7-8-9-10 are quite valuable, we deffo want to take flops with them.

In Hi-Lo, though, that is a horrible, nasty, get-you-into-trouble hand.

We can ALMOST never scoop with it, as if we hit most of our potential hands, we will be splitting at best. A flop, for example, of 4-5-6 means we have the nut high, but it's almost impossible to win the Low. So it's almost never SCOOP material. 

A bad flop for our hand will leave us stranded & unable to win either pot, or even defend.

Chuck it in the muck pre-flop.   

• edited October 2012

Is skypoker fixed?

skypoker makes money from the rake. So it is in skys interest to get as much money into the middle as possible, hence cooler after cooler, cold deck after cold.
    Never seen so many quads or straight flushes or royal flushes as skypoker.

• edited October 2012
    Is skypoker fixed? skypoker makes money from the rake. So it is in skys interest to get as much money into the middle as possible, hence cooler after cooler, cold deck after cold. Never seen so many quads or straight flushes or royal flushes as skypoker.
    Posted by kidstax1
    No.

Rake is capped, see THIS 
  • edited October 2012
    Is skypoker fixed? skypoker makes money from the rake. So it is in skys interest to get as much money into the middle as possible, hence cooler after cooler, cold deck after cold. Never seen so many quads or straight flushes or royal flushes as skypoker.
    Posted by kidstax1
    Why not have another think about whats in sky's interest?