You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ask Tikay?

Comments

• edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay?:
    how is a possible i m loosing every hand.i lost 200 in two days.this is a joke.only british players are winning now.i have to find another site.i never had so bad luck as couple of days ago.i m afraid to play on this site.is it better live this site?u tell me!!!!
    Posted by izabel
    Hi izabel,

Variance is an ugly beast at times I'm afraid. It affects poker everywhere, Live & Online, & on all Online Sites, equally. But of course for every example of -ve there is an equal & opposite example of +ev. Players generally remember -ev, & forget +ev. It's the nature of things. 

I don't understand your comment about "only British players winning " I'm afraid - can you elaborate upon that, please?

I'm sorry you've decided to leave Sky Poker, & I wish you much poker enjoyment wherever you decide to play. To really enjoy poker, though, it'd best to find a way to come to terms with not always winning, otherwise I agree, it's not much fun, if losing hurts as most of us will lose more hands than we win.

Happy New Year, by the way.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Tongue firmly in cheek and that's the probem with email and online messaging - difficult to convey irony, sarcasm, humour except with "LOL", which I deliberately omitted because its more fun if the reader doesnt know. I know all about the RNG. Thanks for the reply and GL on the tables.
    Posted by Seagull158
    Lol, I know,but thought it may help other post :)
  • edited January 2010
    Hi Tikay ! Its great to have Omaha on Sky now. Unfortunately having picked up the game elsewhere I started playing a lot of Hi Lo. Any plans????
  • edited January 2010
    Hi Tikay, I had a play the other week which I was wondering whether I played it properly as I lost all my chips because of it. I had 4,2 on the big blind and no-one raised it up so I got to see a free flop which came down 4,2,2 giving me the house, the person to the side of me betted at me with a pot size bet and I raised it up, at which point he raised me all in at which point I called. As the cards turned over it showed he had pocket aces and the turn and the river came with aces giving him four of a kind. Was there any cheaper way of getting out of that hand or was it just a really bad beat? Thanks Spike2120
    Posted by Spike2120
    Hi Spike, I loved "Hitler, My Part in His Downfall".

Yes, you were a bit unlucky there.

To beat A-A with 4-2 you do need to get "quite lucky". Strictly speaking, although we all define bad beats differently, I'd not call it a bad beat, either, as you went in a good way behind. But most see bad beats different to me.

But you were extremely unlucky not to win after that Flop.

Many players focus on the "beats" they take, & it's understandable. But to my mind, it's better to focus on the positives (in poker, as in life), because looking at negatives serves no purpose or function. It's like complaining when it rains - it won't stop the rain!

I shared a poker table with a guy yesterday, & he started every other sentence with "this is how unlucky I am, listen"......then went on to regale us with some tale of misfortune.

So it's folded round to him in the BB, & he gets a walk - with Aces! He then says "see, this is how unlucky I am"...... 

An orbit later, he finds aces again. And they got beat by a flopped flush. Cue "see, this is how unlucky I am".......

Unlucky? He was healthy, well-dressed, drove a posh car, was adorned with bling, & had paid £165 to enter a Poker Tournament. That's how unlucky he is......

I hope the next time that coup goes off, Spike, you are on the right side of it.
  • edited January 2010
    Congrats on your win yesterday Tikay :)
  • edited January 2010
    thanks for that tikay and I try not to look at the negatives mainly on the positives and will look more towards it in the future.

Talking about positive i would just like to say that master cash has seriously improved my cash table play to the point where on the majority i am actually managing to stay up, I still have a few silly plays, which when I look back on I know I have been stupid but also I am making a lot better plays generally and with it is coming the better bank balance and I must admit a lot of it is thanks to sky poker and master cash so thank you for that.

Spike2120
  • edited January 2010
    Hi Tikay ! Its great to have Omaha on Sky now. Unfortunately having picked up the game elsewhere I started playing a lot of Hi Lo. Any plans????
    Posted by penguin7
    Hi,

Omaha Hi-Lo - I'm glad you've picked up on that, Penguin.

This is my personal comment, NOT an official Sky Poker news release, but the last I heard, Hi-Lo was due to be introduced on the next "Release" (that's tech-speak for Upgrade), which is scheduled for January or February. It will also include, I believe, Rebuys & Add-Ons for MTT's.

I think Omaha Hi-Lo is "ready", but it was felt - very sensibly I think - that as Omaha was new to Sky Poker, & we have so many players new to poker here, it was best to introduce Omaha Hi Only first, so as to enable our Players to get to understand the game before introducing a split pot version. To those who have never played Omaha Hi-Lo, or indeed any split-pot game, it would be a real struggle at first.

When it arrives, we'll do another of those open-source learning Threads as we did with High Only Omaha recently, though I sense you won't need that.

For those not in the loop, by the way, Hi-Lo Omaha, played properly, has very low variance compared to High-Only Omaha, & even Hold Em. But we'll save that story for another day....;)
  • edited January 2010
    thanks for that tikay and I try not to look at the negatives mainly on the positives and will look more towards it in the future. Talking about positive i would just like to say that master cash has seriously improved my cash table play to the point where on the majority i am actually managing to stay up, I still have a few silly plays, which when I look back on I know I have been stupid but also I am making a lot better plays generally and with it is coming the better bank balance and I must admit a lot of it is thanks to sky poker and master cash so thank you for that. Spike2120
    Posted by Spike2120
    Phew - thank you for taking my reply in the spirit intended spike! I see a lot of Posts like yours, & I try to explain my thought process without being ill-mannered, but I gave a similar reply to someone on here last week, & I got roundly harangued for being "unsympathetic". I'm afraid you get a lot of bumps & bruises in poker, & it's my view that it's best to have a mindset that can deal with them, because as sure as night follows day, it ain't ever gonna change.

I'm thrilled to hear that Master Cash has helped your game. We do some "Test" Questions with it each week, on the Forum, ("Make Your Play") & the feedback on those is worth it's weight in gold.

Thank you very much for your kind words. I had to steel myself to open up the Forum this morning, as I heard from numerous people that there was a lot of negativity & rudeness on it yesterday, so a bit of positive feedback today is just what the doctor ordered. Forums have moods, you know - they really do - & it's surprising how negativity & trolling can be so contagious. And positivety & upbeatness ditto! It's like being married, I guess.

Again, thank you, & I do mean that.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Hi, Omaha Hi-Lo - I'm glad you've picked up on that, Penguin. This is my personal comment, NOT an official Sky Poker neews release, but the last I heard, Hi-Lo was due to be introduced on the next "Release" (that's tech-speak for Upgrade), which is scheduled for January or February. It will also include, I believe, Rebuys & Add-Ons for MTT's. I think Omaha Hi-Lo is "ready", but it was felt - very sensibly I think - that as Omaha was new to Sky Poker, & we have so many players new to poker here, it was best to introduce Omaha Hi Only first, so as to enable our Players to get to understand the game before introducing a split pot version. To those who have never played Omaha Hi-Lo, or indeed any split-pot game, it would be a real struggle at first. When it arrives, we'll do another of those open-source learning Threads as we did with High Only Omaha recently, though I sense you won't need that. For those not in the loop, by the way, Hi-Lo Omaha, played properly, has very low variance compared to High-Only Omaha, & even Hold Em. But we'll save that story for another day....;)
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thanks for your prompt reply..you must literally sit in front of a laptop with your one finger poised above the keyboard !
    Thats good news, I find it difficult to switch between the two omaha disciplines, although having played mainly hilo, I was persuaded to enter a live omaha hi tourny in Bournemouth earlier this year. After many mistakes the gods smiled and I was more than happy with a 4way chop at 3am !
    I am interested in your comment about the difference in variance but will wait for your explanation of it. It may explain why Hilo is the game I am most comfortable with on a cash table, tight play seems to bring the rewards.

Happy New Year
    Tony
  • edited January 2010
    Congrats on your win yesterday Tikay :)
    Posted by Kaidus
    Thank you! I was, of course, outrageously skilful.*

* For "skilful", read "lucky".
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Thanks for your prompt reply..you must literally sit in front of a laptop with your one finger poised above the keyboard ! Thats good news, I find it difficult to switch between the two omaha disciplines, although having played mainly hilo, I was persuaded to enter a live omaha hi tourny in Bournemouth earlier this year. After many mistakes the gods smiled and I was more than happy with a 4way chop at 3am ! I am interested in your comment about the difference in variance but will wait for your explanation of it. It may explain why Hilo is the game I am most comfortable with on a cash table, tight play seems to bring the rewards. Happy New Year Tony
    Posted by penguin7
    Lol, I'm just trying to get caught up, & I'm replying to them as I come to them. I was working on Saturday - the back-to-back Live Shows are very time-demanding, & also I have to do FOUR Forum Threads for the two Shows, so I don't get time to do much else. And yesterday, I took the day off, so now I'm trying to get on top of things. I got to bed at 3.30am this morning, & was here at 8am - & I'm loving it so far. It's very satisfying to attack a pile of work.

Happy New Year to tou, too, Tony. Two tones? Sounds like a ska band......
  • edited January 2010
    Tikay, have you ever seen two bad beats as bad as these in the space of a couple of hours? Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance mogs188 Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £0.57 Wilhelm Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £2.90   Your hole cards A K       beaucaire Raise   £0.08 £0.14 £1.60 Dirksnanna Fold         DocPoker Fold         cuteylynda Call   £0.08 £0.22 £7.44 mogs188 Fold         Wilhelm Raise   £0.32 £0.54 £2.58 beaucaire Call   £0.28 £0.82 £1.32 cuteylynda Call   £0.28 £1.10 £7.16 Flop     9 2 10       Wilhelm Check         beaucaire Bet   £0.55 £1.65 £0.77 cuteylynda Fold         Wilhelm Call   £0.55 £2.20 £2.03 Turn     6       Wilhelm Check         beaucaire All-in   £0.77 £2.97 £0.00 Wilhelm Call   £0.77 £3.74 £1.26 Wilhelm Show A K       beaucaire Show 8 8       River     7       beaucaire Win Straight Flush to the 10 £3.56   £3.56 Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance HEFFALUMP Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £10.34 usoges24 Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £17.28 babyfaced Big blind   £0.04 £0.10 £0.96   Your hole cards K Q       mat78 Fold         oldgit Fold         babyfaced Check         Wilhelm Raise   £0.16 £0.26 £5.55 HEFFALUMP Fold         usoges24 Call   £0.12 £0.38 £17.16 babyfaced Fold         Flop     10 J A       usoges24 Check         Wilhelm Bet   £0.19 £0.57 £5.36 usoges24 Raise   £0.38 £0.95 £16.78 Wilhelm Raise   £0.76 £1.71 £4.60 usoges24 All-in   £16.78 £18.49 £0.00 Wilhelm All-in   £4.60 £23.09 £0.00 usoges24 Unmatched bet   £11.61 £11.48 £11.61 usoges24 Show J J       Wilhelm Show K Q       Turn     J       River     K       usoges24 Win Four Jacks £10.91   £22.52
    Posted by Wilhelm
    Hi Wilhelm (is that pronounced Wilhelm or Vilhelm?),

Yes, that's two fairly quirky hands in close succession. In both of them, you went in slightly behind, caught up, overtook, disappeared into the distance, & then got caught on the line! I am sure you were very disappointed, but it helps if you, remember you were behind pre-flop both times - but not by much. The intracacies that 52 playing cards can throw up can make you throw up if you are that way inclined.

I played Live yesterday, & saw (had, actually, it was me) that fairly rare happening of A-A v A-A. It happens, but it's rare. THREE HANDS later, on the same Table, in a 144 runner-comp, we saw it again - A-A v A-A!

Never take for granted the beauty of poker, or playing cards, both capable of infiite surprise & delight, but when they tag-team us it's awesome stuff.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Hi Seagull Not sure whether this was tongue in cheek, or not as the case may be, but will attempt to give an answer anyway :) I know that a thread alluded to "british only" players winning, but why would Sky do this, it would certainly not do their reputation any good, Sky like other poker sites have a RNG (Randome Nuber Generator), but, there is a post on the forum which explains it all far better than I can if I find it I will add a link to this :), I also think that a non british person has posted on this thread giving their response :)
    Posted by acebarry10
    Yes - it was deffo toungue-in-cheek Barry. It's really rather a shame that we don't have smileys here, as humour does not always come across very well in writing.

I hope you are well fella, I sensed you were not too good on Friday.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Er Boss... You know I love you right? Well.. er.. I have something to tell you...
    Posted by LML
    Later, Dearest, I'm busy right now, please don't trouble me when I'm busy - do you have no ironing or washing-up to do?

Lovey-wuvvy kisses hunny-bunny.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Yes - it was deffo toungue-in-cheek Barry. It's really rather a shame that we don't have smileys here, as humour does not always come across very well in writing. I hope you are well fella, I sensed you were not too good on Friday.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hi tikay

Yes I am ok thanks, nice one with the win, I was ok Friday, just a bit tired thanks m8, hope you are ok?, my wife sez I am a pain in the posterior :)
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Phew - thank you for taking my reply in the spirit intended spike! I see a lot of Posts like yours, & I try to explain my thought process without being ill-mannered, but I gave a similar reply to someone on here last week, & I got roundly harangued for being "unsympathetic". I'm afraid you get a lot of bumps & bruises in poker, & it's my view that it's best to have a mindset that can deal with them, because as sure as night follows day, it ain't ever gonna change. I'm thrilled to hear that Master Cash has helped your game. We do some "Test" Questions with it each week, on the Forum, ("Make Your Play") & the feedback on those is worth it's weight in gold. Thank you very much for your kind words. I had to steel myself to open up the Forum this morning, as I heard from numerous people that there was a lot of negativity & rudeness on it yesterday, so a bit of positive feedback today is just what the doctor ordered. Forums have moods, you know - they really do - & it's surprising how negativity & trolling can be so contagious. And positivety & upbeatness ditto! It's like being married, I guess. Again, thank you, & I do mean that.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Your welcome Tikay and it was constructive criticism I was looking for not a sympathy vote as I do want to improve and notice where in my game I need to improve and know my mental game, such as self confidence in my own ability more and coping with runs that just seem against me, is one of many things I do need to improve on.

As for the make your plays, up until last weeks show I have only managed to watch the repeats so I was playing them along on the tele going through my head what I would do and then waiting for the results afterwards but last week I did actually post on the second make your play and I am trying to be more involved with forum activities to improve my game.

Also me and DOHHH have been talking about making a players make your play thread where we make our own plays and and then decision to make which we can keep going in the week, with players, presenters and analyist a like being able to put in detail explanations on how they see the hand from their point of view as we both feel it has helped out our games out a lot and keeping these running throughout the week would be good.

What are your thoughts on this?

Spike2120
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Your welcome Tikay and it was constructive criticism I was looking for not a sympathy vote as I do want to improve and notice where in my game I need to improve and know my mental game, such as self confidence in my own ability more and coping with runs that just seem against me, is one of many things I do need to improve on. As for the make your plays, up until last weeks show I have only managed to watch the repeats so I was playing them along on the tele going through my head what I would do and then waiting for the results afterwards but last week I did actually post on the second make your play and I am trying to be more involved with forum activities to improve my game. Also me and DOHHH have been talking about making a players make your play thread where we make our own plays and and then decision to make which we can keep going in the week, with players, presenters and analyist a like being able to put in detail explanations on how they see the hand from their point of view as we both feel it has helped out our games out a lot and keeping these running throughout the week would be good. What are your thoughts on this? Spike2120
    Posted by Spike2120
    BRILLIANT idea.

In fact, I genuinely think it would work better "Forum-to-Forum" than on the Live TV Show, as time-constraints prevent us from reading out the replies in full on the Show.

What are my thoughts on this? DO IT! (Please).

Self-help ftw.

THIS is what Community Building is about. Well done you two.

Post of the Week for me. But it's only Monday. ;)
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : BRILLIANT idea. In fact, I genuinely think it would work better "Forum-to-Forum" than on the Live TV Show, as time-constraints prevent us from reading out the replies in full on the Show. What are my thoughts on this? DO IT! (Please). Self-help ftw. THIS is what Community Building is about. Well done you two. Post of the Week for me. But it's only Monday. ;)
    Posted by Tikay10
    Ok we will definitely do it, and thats what we said as well about the time constraints meaning only a few and also shortened posts being read out and brief descriptions when it comes to decisions, thats why we thought it would be a good idea.

Spike2120
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Hi Loser (that sounds sooooo rude!). I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the previous TKO. Yes. I believe the voting e-Mails will go out this week, which is "Recruitment & Selection Week" as Head Office put it, & the Series itself it will probably start next week. So look out for the e-mail. However, it will not be myself versus Richard Orford, as Richard was not nearly good enough to win, (his Team were soundly thrashed) & it's "Winner Stays On". Sky Poker wish to give the opposing Team a chance, so Richard has been summarily dumped. There was a "trail" on Saturday's Show suggesting the next Series will be myself versus Lisa, which surprised me greatly, but that's clearly incorrect, as Lisa has agreed in writing & verbally to be faithful & loyal to my Team for life, & indeed beyond. So, watch this space, as they say.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Oops, I got this wrong I gather - my apologies.

In fact, "recruitment" (when the e-Mails go out) is towards the end of this week, & Event One will be January 19th, with the Final Event, the Winners Freeroll, (for Team tikay one assumes) being on Tuesday February 26th. 

Interestingly, Leg Five will be on February 16th - Shrove Tuesday. Team tikay plan to leave our opponents as flat as a pancake that day. Never mind Shrove, they'll be shrivelled.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Ok we will definitely do it, and thats what we said as well about the time constraints meaning only a few and also shortened posts being read out and brief descriptions when it comes to decisions, thats why we thought it would be a good idea. Spike2120
    Posted by Spike2120
    Have you done it yet? 

Lets gogogo!
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Have you done it yet?  Lets gogogo!
    Posted by Tikay10
    I am doing it just trying to make it worthwhile and not too obvious what the right move it to do
  • edited January 2010
    Its done now under the Poker Strategy topic under A Players Make your play 1

Hope to get some good feedback of this and sorry if the scenario is a bit rubbish but its my first attempt lol
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Er Boss... You know I love you right? Well.. er.. I have something to tell you...
    Posted by LML
    Er, please wait for me to get my hard hat, and duck ;)
  • edited January 2010
    Its done now under the Poker Strategy topic under Players Make your play 1 Hope to get some good feedback of this and sorry if the scenario is a bit rubbish but its my first attempt lol
    Posted by Spike2120
    The scenario is fine.
    Basically, you could post a hand from a game of snap and you'd be able to get poker players to debate it.
    Well done on your initiative and good luck.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : The scenario is fine. Basically, you could post a hand from a game of snap and you'd be able to get poker players to debate it. Well done on your initiative and good luck.
    Posted by MereNovice
    thanks Merenovice but like I have said I cant take all the credit I just put the wheels in motion so to speak me and DOHHHH had a discussion about this and it was his initial thinking.

glad the scenarios ok lol
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Hi Wilhelm (is that pronounced Wilhelm or Vilhelm?), Yes, that's two fairly quirky hands in close succession. In both of them, you went in slightly behind, caught up, overtook, disappeared into the distance, & then got caught on the line! I am sure you were very disappointed, but it helps if you, remember you were behind pre-flop both times - but not by much. The intracacies that 52 playing cards can throw up can make you throw up if you are that way inclined. I played Live yesterday, & saw (had, actually, it was me) that fairly rare happening of A-A v A-A. It happens, but it's rare. THREE HANDS later, on the same Table, in a 144 runner-comp, we saw it again - A-A v A-A! Never take for granted the beauty of poker, or playing cards, both capable of infiite surprise & delight, but when they tag-team us it's awesome stuff.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I wish I'd have stayed behind, wouldn't have cost as much. 

Btw I think I'd like it pronounced Vilhelm, but shan't take offence if pronounced otherwise.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : I wish I'd have stayed behind, wouldn't have cost as much.  Btw I think I'd like it pronounced Vilhelm, but shan't take offence if pronounced otherwise.
    Posted by Wilhelm
    ...and there you have it - the beauty of poker, if we did but recognize it.

Look on the bright side - you made two players very happy!
  • edited January 2010
    Seem to be a lot of bad beat questions on here today. Recently I was working in Coventry and had my 50 ft coach parked in the VIP car park at the Ricoh G casino ! Only 35 mins into a tourny I picked up 44 in the big blind. Probably wouldnt have played them but all limped. Flop was  J J 4  so I checked planning to reraise any bet. But before it got back to me there was a large bet , a reraise and a call. I chose to flat call although it was half my stack and the original raiser then called as well. Turn was a 5 making three hearts on board. I had to be in front so I pushed the other half of my stack in, and was followed by all of the other 3 players ! It was like a bad bounty hunter tourny! Cards on their backs revealed  J2, JQ, and two hopeful raggy hearts. And of course the river was a queen.
    An early night  allowed plenty of time to consider where I had gone wrong, but I think I have to put it down to the amazing combinations 52 cards can throw up.
  • edited January 2010
    Seem to be a lot of bad beat questions on here today. Recently I was working in Coventry and had my 50 ft coach parked in the VIP car park at the Ricoh G casino ! Only 35 mins into a tourny I picked up 44 in the big blind. Probably wouldnt have played them but all limped. Flop was  J J 4  so I checked planning to reraise any bet. But before it got back to me there was a large bet , a reraise and a call. I chose to flat call although it was half my stack and the original raiser then called as well. Turn was a 5 making three hearts on board. I had to be in front so I pushed the other half of my stack in, and was followed by all of the other 3 players ! It was like a bad bounty hunter tourny! Cards on their backs revealed  J2, JQ, and two hopeful raggy hearts. And of course the river was a queen. An early night  allowed plenty of time to consider where I had gone wrong, but I think I have to put it down to the amazing combinations 52 cards can throw up.
    Posted by penguin7
    There it is again......

I had A-A v A-A yesterday, & 5 hands later, it happened again.

With a 9 Seat Final Table, & 10 left, some donk pushed J-6 into 7-7 & door-carded his J. Then he shoved with A-8 slap-bang into A-J. Door card 8. Next, his 5-4 busted A-K, the guy was clueless, but the Poker Gods were on my side. Sorry, I mean his side.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : There it is again...... I had A-A v A-A yesterday, & 5 hands later, it happened again. With a 9 Seat Final Table, & 10 left, some donk pushed J-6 into 7-7 & door-carded his J. Then he shoved with A-8 slap-bang into A-J. Door card 8. Next, his 5-4 busted A-K, the guy was clueless, but the Poker Gods were on my side. Sorry, I mean his side.
    Posted by Tikay10
    THIS EXPLAINS A LOT !!!

Having just been bubbled out of a tourny by someone with 85 offsuit, they must all be learning from you !