You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ask Tikay?

Comments

• edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay?:
    Hi Tikay I am pleased to see the thread you referred to earlier has been removed. I put the  person In question's name forward quite early on In the thread but unfortunately got no feedback. I was amazed he was not on the list. Was he aware of this  I hope not.
    Posted by TiaDalma
    I have no idea Tia, I hope he was not aware of it, obviously. It was clearly an accidental oversight, no question about it, but I'm a bit of a soft so & so, & people's feelings count for a lot in my book.
  • edited January 2010
    Tikay what constitues a beginner for the beginner only tables? I've noticed your number 13 player in the overall league on there and thought that they can't be a beginner? It doesn't bother me having good players on there but I feel sorry for total new guys who get a whipping and probably never come back.
    Posted by Hobbes16
    Hi Hobbes,

I was not aware there was a "Beginners League" to be honest, Leagues are a bit of a blind spot for me, I don't ever see them really.

I would agree with you that Beginner's deserve some help, & not be belittled, but I'm quite surprised there is a "Beginners League". If there is, & I'm in it, perhaps it's a reflection of my current Form, which is dire!
  • edited January 2010
    Beginners tables Tikay not league, the 2p4p tiddlers.
  • edited January 2010

It's been pointed out to me by a good friend (to whom I now owe about 4 PM replies - sorry!) that I misunderstood hobbes Post.

Apparently the Post referred to someone else in the Beginners League, not me. Phew.....

But he does confirm (I don't know how I'd cope without him), that there is NOT a Beginners League on Sky Poker.
  • edited January 2010
    Beginners tables Tikay not league, the 2p4p tiddlers.
    Posted by Hobbes16
    Ahh, now I understand.

I have to go into Rehearsal now, but I'll reply later Mr Hobbes Sir.
  • edited January 2010
    Played in the £1000 guaranteed last night and went really steadily for 45mins, small blind to my big went all-in, I had AK, he turned over pocket 6's and I missed completely, was this a bad call or will it pay off eventually, it didn't knock me out but it put me really low stacked and I went all-in with 44, 2 callers who checked it to the river and my 4's got counterfeited by 77 and 88, they both had A kicker to the queen on the board!. Been playing since Feb last year and am slowly learning, can you suggest any books to improve my game? Qualified for Newcastle next week so see you ther
  • edited January 2010
    Played in the £1000 guaranteed last night and went really steadily for 45mins, small blind to my big went all-in, I had AK, he turned over pocket 6's and I missed completely, was this a bad call or will it pay off eventually, it didn't knock me out but it put me really low stacked and I went all-in with 44, 2 callers who checked it to the river and my 4's got counterfeited by 77 and 88, they both had A kicker to the queen on the board!. Been playing since Feb last year and am slowly learning, can you suggest any books to improve my game? Qualified for Newcastle next week so see you ther
    Posted by leapylee57
    Hi

Personaly I would push with AK (you can push with any 2, but it needs a good hand to call), but would very rarely call unless I had the odds to do so, if you are against a big PP, you are going to be about at best against JJ about a 40% underdog, so why put your tournament life on the line? wait for a better spot and get your money in first.
  • edited January 2010
    not sure if you have ben asked this one before or not tikay.....

this question has always troubled me , where would you say the most money is too be made playing poker both live and online? mtt's or cash???

cheers

steve
  • edited January 2010
    Tikay,
        Will there be another "Tikay Orford" challenge?. The last one was awesome.
  • edited January 2010
    Tikay,     Will there be another "Tikay Orford" challenge?. The last one was awesome.
    Posted by efgloser
    Hi

There is another challenge, but it is not Richard who team tikay will face :)
  • edited January 2010

TikaY,

Just a quick question!  When does the January Leauge be up? cheers!

• edited January 2010
    do you know when the next tko will be and who will the presenter be
  • edited January 2010
    TikaY, Just a quick question!  When does the January Leauge be up? cheers!
    Posted by adam26
    Hi Adam

At a guess it may be Monday/Tuesday, the bonuses are being paid by the end of Monday :)
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Hi Adam At a guess it may be Monday/Tuesday, the bonuses are being paid by the end of Monday :)
    Posted by acebarry10
    Cheers fella! First time i been interesed in it so no idea really lol
  • edited January 2010
    how is a possible i m loosing every hand.i lost 200 in two days.this is a joke.only british players are winning now.i have to find another site.i never had so bad luck as couple of days ago.i m afraid to play on this site.is it better live this site?u tell me!!!!
  • edited January 2010
    Hi Tikay,

I had a play the other week which I was wondering whether I played it properly as I lost all my chips because of it.

I had 4,2 on the big blind and no-one raised it up so I got to see a free flop which came down 4,2,2 giving me the house, the person to the side of me betted at me with a pot size bet and I raised it up, at which point he raised me all in at which point I called. As the cards turned over it showed he had pocket aces and the turn and the river came with aces giving him four of a kind.

Was there any cheaper way of getting out of that hand or was it just a really bad beat?

Thanks

Spike2120
  • edited January 2010

Morning.

I'll reply to the questions by Leapylee & Barry a little later, I need to sort some other stuff out first, & clear a whole bunch of PM's.

Bear with me please.
  • edited January 2010
    in Response to Re: Ask Tikay?:
    how is a possible i m loosing every hand.i lost 200 in two days.this is a joke.only british players are winning now.i have to find another site.i never had so bad luck as couple of days ago.i m afraid to play on this site.is it better live this site?u tell me!!!!
    Posted by izabel
    i'm not british and i'm doin alright at the minute, someone must have switched the "let's be racist" button off.it is a new complaint tho so try posting it in area 51! Sure to gather momentum!

Hope this helps
  • edited January 2010
    Posted by izabel
    Hi Izabel

tikay is somewhat busy, so I will attempt to answer this.

From what you are saying you have lost £200 in a couple of days, I just wonder at what levels you are playing, the reason I ask is that at one time, I played well out of my bankroll and was losing and did become quite angry because I was losing "Scared money", someone on the site suggested that I play within my bankroll (the 5% rule), so that if I won fine, but if I lost it would not take a big slice out of it, so dropped down to micro stake levels, and began to grind, quite succesfully, and so was able to move up to the next level and so on.

I also played freerolls and cashed in some of those, so my bankroll steadily increased, however, about a couple of months ago the very wonderful varience took hold and could not get a hand, if I got a hand couldnt get a flop, or got outdrawn, but because  was only playing low stakes poker and dropping down levels as, and when necessay I found this not to be a problem, I took a couple of days break, came back then all of a sudden I won two tournies within a week and began to cash again, varience came back to my side,it will change but, I cannot promise when
  • edited January 2010

Further to my earlier Post, I must have a problem with my browser (IE), because when I looked at this Thread 30 minutes ago, there were only 2 questions I needed to address, but there were actually many more - I'm sorry.

I'll get up to date with the Thread right away.

I decided to take a day off yesterday, & go to DTD & play some poker, but it was a bit of a mixed day really. The poker went very well, but I was inundated with texts & messages telling me that the "mood" on the Forum was not very good, so that was a bit of a cloud over what was otherwise a most enjoyable day.
  • edited January 2010
    Posted by leapylee57
    Hi leapy,

Did you used to be married to Kenny Everett?

Acebarry has answered your question much as I would I think, but it really depends on your stack relative to 2 things...

1) The Blinds.

2) Your opponents stack.

All things being equal, when the Blinds are big, AK is a beautiful hand to push with, rather than to Call with.

Why so?

Because, assuming, as in this case, you are "racing", then you are a slight underdog, & you pretty much have to hit to win. So, it's down to the the Gods of poker if you hit - because that's the only was you can win the hand.

However, by playing AK differently (again, this only applies when the Blinds are big) & by being the aggressor (that is to say, get your money in first, OR re-raise strongly) we now have TWO ways of winning the hand, being......

1) We hit one of our 6 outs, or.....

2) - and this is clearly the ultimate way of winning - because we can't lose if we don't see a Flop! - getting our opponent to Pass their hand.

So it's clearly better to have two ways of winning rather than one way of winning.

These comments apply more to No-Limit poker than Pot-Limit or Limit. In Pot-Limit - a game which I personally believe is a far more skilled variant - the theory is similar, but it plays vey differently indeed.

See you on Saturday in Newcastle - I'm looking forward to it! - & do come & say Hi, please.
  • edited January 2010
    Further to my earlier Post, I must have a problem with my browser (IE), because when I looked at this Thread 30 minutes ago, there were only 2 questions I needed to address, but there were actually many more - I'm sorry. I'll get up to date with the Thread right away. I decided to take a day off yesterday, & go to DTD & play some poker, but it was a bit of a mixed day really. The poker went very well, but I was inundated with texts & messages telling me that the "mood" on the Forum was not very good, so that was a bit of a cloud over what was otherwise a most enjoyable day.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I think thats happening here Tikay is that you and Sky Rich keep taking days off, I think the pair of you should consider working 24/7 to stop these problems happening:)

Glad the poker went well for you
  • edited January 2010
    Tikay, have you ever seen two bad beats as bad as these in the space of a couple of hours?
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    mogs188 Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £0.57
    Wilhelm Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £2.90
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • K

beaucaire Raise   £0.08 £0.14 £1.60
    Dirksnanna Fold        
    DocPoker Fold        
    cuteylynda Call   £0.08 £0.22 £7.44
    mogs188 Fold        
    Wilhelm Raise   £0.32 £0.54 £2.58
    beaucaire Call   £0.28 £0.82 £1.32
    cuteylynda Call   £0.28 £1.10 £7.16
    Flop

Wilhelm Check        
    beaucaire Bet   £0.55 £1.65 £0.77
    cuteylynda Fold        
    Wilhelm Call   £0.55 £2.20 £2.03
    Turn

Wilhelm Check        
    beaucaire All-in   £0.77 £2.97 £0.00
    Wilhelm Call   £0.77 £3.74 £1.26
    Wilhelm Show
    • A
    • K

beaucaire Show

River

beaucaire Win Straight Flush to the 10 £3.56   £3.56
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    HEFFALUMP Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £10.34
    usoges24 Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £17.28
    babyfaced Big blind   £0.04 £0.10 £0.96
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • Q

mat78 Fold        
    oldgit Fold        
    babyfaced Check        
    Wilhelm Raise   £0.16 £0.26 £5.55
    HEFFALUMP Fold        
    usoges24 Call   £0.12 £0.38 £17.16
    babyfaced Fold        
    Flop

• J
    • A

usoges24 Check        
    Wilhelm Bet   £0.19 £0.57 £5.36
    usoges24 Raise   £0.38 £0.95 £16.78
    Wilhelm Raise   £0.76 £1.71 £4.60
    usoges24 All-in   £16.78 £18.49 £0.00
    Wilhelm All-in   £4.60 £23.09 £0.00
    usoges24 Unmatched bet   £11.61 £11.48 £11.61
    usoges24 Show
    • J
    • J

Wilhelm Show
    • K
    • Q

Turn

• J

River

• K

usoges24 Win Four Jacks £10.91   £22.52
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Hi Izabel tikay is somewhat busy, so I will attempt to answer this.   From what you are saying you have lost £200 in a couple of days, I just wonder at what levels you are playing, the reason I ask is that at one time, I played well out of my bankroll and was losing and did become quite angry because I was losing "Scared money", someone on the site suggested that I play within my bankroll (the 5% rule), so that if I won fine, but if I lost it would not take a big slice out of it, so dropped down to micro stake levels, and began to grind, quite succesfully, and so was able to move up to the next level and so on. I also played freerolls and cashed in some of those, so my bankroll steadily increased, however, about a couple of months ago the very wonderful varience took hold and could not get a hand, if I got a hand couldnt get a flop, or got outdrawn, but because  was only playing low stakes poker and dropping down levels as, and when necessay I found this not to be a problem, I took a couple of days break, came back then all of a sudden I won two tournies within a week and began to cash again, varience came back to my side,it will change but, I cannot promise when
    Posted by acebarry10
    But you're British and that's why it changed for the better. Once the software realised that it had made a mistake with your nationality and you were British after all it allowed you to win. What about the foreigners on here who always get the bad cards and the bad beats? Do they have to take out British citizenship in order to win money?
  • edited January 2010
    not sure if you have ben asked this one before or not tikay..... this question has always troubled me , where would you say the most money is too be made playing poker both live and online? mtt's or cash??? cheers steve
    Posted by steveburke
    Hi Steve,

In golf, they say "drive for show, putt for dough". The poker equivelant is "MTT's for show, cash for dough". Which does not quite work. I'll get me coat.....

In truth, if I HAD to win money at poker to live, I would play Cash Games. With a good knowledge of basics, & a tight game, it's almost impossible to lose.

Tourneys are very very different, because you only get one "pull-up" (starting stack), & you often face huge fields. The best Tournament player in the world will do well to win 1 Tourney in 50 or even 1 in 100, because of variance, but when you DO win, the rewards, relative to buy-in, are spectacular. The thing is though, they are, to most, much more exciting to play, as the adrenelin level increases as the Tourney progresses, & there's no feeling in poker like making a Final Table. I've made, literally, thousands of Final Tables, but it still gives me a buzz when I do, no matter how small the buy-in, or prize.

Furthermore, a bad Cash player cannot win over time, end of. But a bad player CAN win the occasional Tournament.

It also depends upon your skillset. Very few players excel at both Cash AND Tourneys.

Live versus Online? I prefer Live poker, because I treat poker as a recreation, & there is nothing better than spending a day at a Live Event schmoozing & chilling with "real" players - it's adorably good. But most Online players, bred in the "fast-food, instant gratification" modern world, think Live Poker is too slow compared to Online, as they can multi-table Online if they wish.

The Rules are much better defined Online too (part of what we are trying to rectify for Live Poker via APAT, by the way, by driving forward Rule Commonality), & the Online game is less susceptible to cheating & bad rulings etc. 

It always tickles me, by the way, when I play Online, & someone is thinking about a decision - "on the dwell" - & some spotty kid types in the chatbox, with not too much originality - "zzzzzzzzz". It's a game to be enjoyed, not a race against the clock!

• edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : But you're British and that's why it changed for the better. Once the software realised that it had made a mistake with your nationality and you were British after all it allowed you to win. What about the foreigners on here who always get the bad cards and the bad beats? Do they have to take out British citizenship in order to win money?
    Posted by Seagull158
    Hi Seagull

Not sure whether this was tongue in cheek, or not as the case may be, but will attempt to give an answer anyway :)

I know that a thread alluded to "british only" players winning, but why would Sky do this, it would certainly not do their reputation any good, Sky like other poker sites have a RNG (Randome Nuber Generator), but, there is a post on the forum which explains it all far better than I can if I find it I will add a link to this :), I also think that a non british person has posted on this thread giving their response :)
  • edited January 2010
    Tikay,     Will there be another "Tikay Orford" challenge?. The last one was awesome.
    Posted by efgloser
    Hi Loser (that sounds sooooo rude!).

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the previous TKO.

Yes. I believe the voting e-Mails will go out this week, which is "Recruitment & Selection Week" as Head Office put it, & the Series itself it will probably start next week. So look out for the e-mail.

However, it will not be myself versus Richard Orford, as Richard was not nearly good enough to win, (his Team were soundly thrashed) & it's "Winner Stays On". Sky Poker wish to give the opposing Team a chance, so Richard has been summarily dumped.

There was a "trail" on Saturday's Show suggesting the next Series will be myself versus Lisa, which surprised me greatly, but that's clearly incorrect, as Lisa has agreed in writing & verbally to be faithful & loyal to my Team for life, & indeed beyond.

So, watch this space, as they say.

EDIT - THESE DATES WERE INCORRECT - SEE MY REVISED POST ON THE NEXT PAGE.

Sorry, I blame Orford.
  • edited January 2010
    TikaY, Just a quick question!  When does the January Leauge be up? cheers!
    Posted by adam26
    Hi adam,

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that.

Anyone know?
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Hi Loser (that sounds sooooo rude!). I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the previous TKO. Yes. I believe the voting e-Mails will go out this week, which is "Recruitment & Selection Week" as Head Office put it, & the Series itself it will probably start next week. So look out for the e-mail. However, it will not be myself versus Richard Orford, as Richard was not nearly good enough to win, (his Team were soundly thrashed) & it's "Winner Stays On". Sky Poker wish to give the opposing Team a chance, so Richard has been summarily dumped. There was a "trail" on Saturday's Show suggesting the next Series will be myself versus Lisa, which surprised me greatly, but that's clearly incorrect, as Lisa has agreed in writing & verbally to be faithful & loyal to my Team for life, & indeed beyond. So, watch this space, as they say.
    Posted by Tikay10

Er Boss... You know I love you right? Well.. er.. I have something to tell you...
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Hi Seagull Not sure whether this was tongue in cheek, or not as the case may be, but will attempt to give an answer anyway :) I know that a thread alluded to "british only" players winning, but why would Sky do this, it would certainly not do their reputation any good, Sky like other poker sites have a RNG (Randome Nuber Generator), but, there is a post on the forum which explains it all far better than I can if I find it I will add a link to this :), I also think that a non british person has posted on this thread giving their response :)
    Posted by acebarry10
    Tongue firmly in cheek and that's the probem with email and online messaging - difficult to convey irony, sarcasm, humour except with "LOL", which I deliberately omitted because its more fun if the reader doesnt know.
    I know all about the RNG. Thanks for the reply and GL on the tables.