You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Diary, Challenge, Motivation.Challenge to £9999.Current BR 2559.14!! Primo 2nd place. HOBBIT!!!

Comments

• edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Diary, Challenge, Motivation.Challenge to £9999.Current BR £486.40!! Star Bink..!!:
    Didnt play on sky today. In fact didnt plan on playing at all, gym this morning then shopping in town then work/watching harry potter (lol) meant I didnt have much time. However I did manage to have a small go on stars, played some of the bigger mtts and lost my flips, played a few smaller mtts and had success! Here is the result of one, never beaten a field this big before.  PokerSt*rs Tournament #648794003, No Limit Hold'em Buy-In: $2.00/$0.50/$0.20 USD 5922 players Total Prize Pool: $11844.00 USD  Tournament started 2012/11/27 17:15:00 WET [2012/11/27 12:15:00 ET] Tournament finished 2012/11/27 20:43:28 WET [2012/11/27 15:43:28 ET] 1: Wacko92 (United Kingdom), $1856.39 (15.673%) 2: boehnchen (Germany), $1379.82 (11.649%) 3: DRAFTIE (United Kingdom), $977.13 (8.25%) 4: Ace Zzang (South Korea), $669.18 (5.649%) 5: almate56 (Romania), $503.37 (4.25%) 6: HUMPHREY00 (Germany), $384.93 (3.25%) 7: A. Shamykaev (Russia), $266.49 (2.25%) 8: versulotti (Brazil), $148.05 (1.25%) 9: iRaged (Finland), $94.75 (0.799%) 10: akarrin (Australia), $70.47 (0.594%) 18 heads for 9$ too, huge bonus ;). Only last like 4 hours too, ran so well towards the end. Personally I think I played really well, managed to get to 600k ish from 3k, down to the last 30 odd then the blinds finally caught up with me. Eventually I shoved 5Bbbs with q 10, only for the BB to have KQ, and me bink the 10 on the river. Then, sat on about 500k, BB was like 120k I think, I shoved q8cc in late pos, only for ak to look me up, and flop to come Q108. Went from strength from there, AA holding vs j6 then a few other holds. Eventually somehow got HU, about 9 million each, first hand had a2 q8x flop, I floated a bet, 2 on turn, floated again in pos, river 2, shoved and got snapped by q10. TYVM. Finished him next hand. Although I got a bit lucky towards the end, im happy with my play, dont think I made many wrong moves all game. ROI is pretty sick for a 2$ tourney :) So yeah, not a bad night all in all ;) Very busy day tomorrow, got like 50 things to organise and plan, before im up at 5 on thursday morning for a flight to Poland :) lovely stuff, a good way to enter a break in Poker.
    Posted by Wacko90
    Good to see england beating germany for once ! Its no coincidence that you crush on stars as well but what is your opinion of the german/russian players over there ?

WP wacko.
  • edited December 2012
    Hi W

Well played again but not so fast sir..."unlucky to run into AA" ...but get a mammoth chunk of positive variance to suck out from 17% equity. Nice one though. Bet that gave you a buzz.
    Do you ever get players becoming maniacs on the Ft. I got to the 10 handed Orfordable Ft last night. One guy had a big stack before this and had been 'bullying' but instead of folding he was calling and sucking out. I hadn't played badly, had a tight image and been playing to my stack size as well as observing players around. This guy just altered the dynamic. Blinds were going through me and i had about 15 or so but was lowest stack. I decide to try to keep some FE by letting the blinds get through me and finding a spot in next orbit unless i get a good hand. i'm in big blind w/ QJs and three others limp including big stack UTG. My free flop comes J high  two suited not mine. Top pr good kicker, i decide to AI. Big stack calls w/ K9o then catches runner runner for str8. It happens. and i was ok ith it.
    However, he got caught out next hand, lost a chunk and decided to announce that he was then bored. Consequently he decided to go Ai or call with silly hands eg Q7 o etc. He left 5 pots or so  later. I can't understand how you can play for 5 hours, Ft, then decide you've had enough. He even started putting "call" in the chatbox. We've all had 'moments' deep in a T but this was very weird...happened to you?
  • edited December 2012
    Update on past 2 days, now im free I can get busy replying to people who posted ages ago, I havnt forgotten.

Yesterday didnt go so well, didnt get going in anything apart from the main really. Managed to get myself into a position whTurn A, GG. Didnt have any other near sucesses. Never mind :)

Tonight had a great night. Played Sunday million on other site and a few big ones, im serious, I always, ALWAYS run so bad in the SM. Another bad beat sent me packing for a 30k+ pot with 2k left which would of set me up nicely, was not to be.

Played primo and mini primo on sky and the 16.50 turbo. Ahhh this will be one of my favourites I can see it now. Came 4th or something tonight for 120 so was happy with that. Mini primo, AA into kj on a kj2 flop GG.

Primo, started slow, didnt have the best table. To make a change I cant remember too many special hands, grinded to the cash, had a mini blip then grinded it back. FT was good and managed to get HU quick against a bloke who was only raising 5x pre (sounds good right) but was hitting like every flop so hard. I wasnt that far behind, but in the space of 20 hands I didnt hit one pair off any flop somehow. Undertandably was frustrated, was short and shoved 3rd pair and fd in next pot, obvs he had top pair and I didnt catch on river, VWP to him.

So its been 2 days since im free of uni work for a while and I feel alot better about how im playing, last 2 weeks Iv had some really great results. I really do love the primo. Can have a week of going to the gym and grinding now before I go home for christmas for a few weeks.

Cash was for about 1.9k ish :) plus 120 for turbo so a 2k night.

Current BR: £2559.14
  • edited December 2012
    wow nice one m8 you really are a machine in mtts.

I really want to improve my mtt game I was talking to a m8 of mine about how I play in mtts he reckons i`m being too aggro and gambling a bit much in certain spots but me thinks thats because i`m mainly a cash game player.

what would advice would you give me to improve you think anything at all would be appreciated thanks.

gl at the tables not that you need it lol.

• edited December 2012
    Congrats on the result last night. VWP. Your flying atm without putting hardly any volume in! 
    Just wondering in the new year are you going to be putting more volume into MTT's?
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Diary, Challenge, Motivation.Challenge to £9999.Current BR 2559.14!! Primo 2nd place.:
    wow nice one m8 you really are a machine in mtts. I really want to improve my mtt game I was talking to a m8 of mine about how I play in mtts he reckons i`m being too aggro and gambling a bit much in certain spots but me thinks thats because i`m mainly a cash game player. what would advice would you give me to improve you think anything at all would be appreciated thanks. gl at the tables not that you need it lol.
    Posted by liamboi11

I don't know whether you have the same problem or not but I seem to run into hands all the time when I 3bet jam light over a mid-late position raise when I have a 15-20bb stack and never bink when I'm behind lol. Maybe 15-20bb is bigger than I realise w/o antes I don't know? 

• edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Diary, Challenge, Motivation.Challenge to £9999.Current BR £486.40!! Star Bink..!!:
    In Response to Re: Diary, Challenge, Motivation.Challenge to £9999.Current BR £486.40!! Star Bink..!! : Good to see england beating germany for once ! Its no coincidence that you crush on stars as well but what is your opinion of the german/russian players over there ? WP wacko.
    Posted by ACEGOONER
    Cheers ace :) Haha yes I said that too ;) tbh I havnt played enough to get much of an opinion, but from what I have seen theyre all just solid players that are very capale of making moves in position. Theyre unlikely to get out of line too much tbh, not easy players to play against.
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Diary, Challenge, Motivation.Challenge to £9999.Current BR £670.14!! Star Binksss!!:
    Hi W Well played again but not so fast sir..."unlucky to run into AA" ...but get a mammoth chunk of positive variance to suck out from 17% equity. Nice one though. Bet that gave you a buzz. Do you ever get players becoming maniacs on the Ft. I got to the 10 handed Orfordable Ft last night. One guy had a big stack before this and had been 'bullying' but instead of folding he was calling and sucking out. I hadn't played badly, had a tight image and been playing to my stack size as well as observing players around. This guy just altered the dynamic. Blinds were going through me and i had about 15 or so but was lowest stack. I decide to try to keep some FE by letting the blinds get through me and finding a spot in next orbit unless i get a good hand. i'm in big blind w/ QJs and three others limp including big stack UTG. My free flop comes J high  two suited not mine. Top pr good kicker, i decide to AI. Big stack calls w/ K9o then catches runner runner for str8. It happens. and i was ok ith it. However, he got caught out next hand, lost a chunk and decided to announce that he was then bored. Consequently he decided to go Ai or call with silly hands eg Q7 o etc. He left 5 pots or so  later. I can't understand how you can play for 5 hours, Ft, then decide you've had enough. He even started putting "call" in the chatbox. We've all had 'moments' deep in a T but this was very weird...happened to you?
    Posted by profman15

hey Prof,

haha yes I suppose you can look at it that way, I wasnt suggesting I didnt get V lucky to suck out, only that I was Ul to be looked up by the hands that I was.

Yeah sometimes you do get people like that, I dont think iv ever been "bored" but in my early days iv deffo tilted (most likely from another tourney) and thrown away a winning position, im sure everyone has done it at some point. Havnt done that for well over a year now :) for some reason too you often find these players are running really good!

• edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Diary, Challenge, Motivation.Challenge to £9999.Current BR 2559.14!! Primo 2nd place.:
    wow nice one m8 you really are a machine in mtts. I really want to improve my mtt game I was talking to a m8 of mine about how I play in mtts he reckons i`m being too aggro and gambling a bit much in certain spots but me thinks thats because i`m mainly a cash game player. what would advice would you give me to improve you think anything at all would be appreciated thanks. gl at the tables not that you need it lol.
    Posted by liamboi11
    hey Liam,

Well, being aggro and maintaining it is very difficult. Most o the mtt crushers on sky are tight aggressive. Alot of losing players are loose, passive or loose aggro. For me I like to have a loose image but it often makes it hard for me, as my bluffs constantly get called down by 3rd pair or something lol. For you, if your playing to aggro then just reduce the gambling.

Essentially its all about who is on the table for me. For example, the primo last night had 2 V aggro players on, both pretty loose. So I played v tight, picked my spots and 3 bet spots well and they paid me off purely because they didnt give up. If the table is tight then you have to use your 3 bet to the max. There are so many tight players, especially at the later stages of big tournies who will raise pre and fold to 3-bets. You can pick up so many chips doing this.

So 2 small pieces of advice. Adapt your play to the players that are on the table. You cant play the whole tourney aggro or passive, adapt to the players and use their style to your advantage. And 2, use your chips, 3-betting in position etc against the right players who you know are very likely to only play premium. Especially at the late stages where blinds are bigger.

• edited December 2012
    Congrats on the result last night. VWP. Your flying atm without putting hardly any volume in!  Just wondering in the new year are you going to be putting more volume into MTT's?
    Posted by Curt360x27
    Cheers mate, wp you too. I though you were fairly unlucky to go out, very very very marginal call by the opponent. UL.

Yes! Uni is still my priority but I can balance it and im due a week or 2 off, so from now until around the new year im increasing volume, more so next week. No doubt il run into you on a few tables ;)
  • edited December 2012
    nice one Wacko, u do make it look easy )

vwp

• edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Diary, Challenge, Motivation.Challenge to £9999.Current BR 2559.14!! Primo 2nd place. : hey Liam, Well, being aggro and maintaining it is very difficult. Most o the mtt crushers on sky are tight aggressive. Alot of losing players are loose, passive or loose aggro. For me I like to have a loose image but it often makes it hard for me, as my bluffs constantly get called down by 3rd pair or something lol. For you, if your playing to aggro then just reduce the gambling. Essentially its all about who is on the table for me. For example, the primo last night had 2 V aggro players on, both pretty loose. So I played v tight, picked my spots and 3 bet spots well and they paid me off purely because they didnt give up. If the table is tight then you have to use your 3 bet to the max. There are so many tight players, especially at the later stages of big tournies who will raise pre and fold to 3-bets. You can pick up so many chips doing this. So 2 small pieces of advice. Adapt your play to the players that are on the table. You cant play the whole tourney aggro or passive, adapt to the players and use their style to your advantage. And 2, use your chips, 3-betting in position etc against the right players who you know are very likely to only play premium. Especially at the late stages where blinds are bigger.
    Posted by Wacko90

thanks for the advice m8 will take it all on board. I`m goin to try play a lot more mtts after the new year try to improve and hopefully get some results.

Curt yeah kinda similar buddy getting in almost always a flip like I see 2 limps im in btn/co and shove 18bbs wae ak and guy snaps wae 77 and he holds or a get coolered or sucked out really frustrating seems to be at the crucial time like last 2 or 3 tables for a big stack.But i might win one and get a big score soon never know lol thanks for your reply also.

• edited December 2012
    Great Advice to Liamboi, Dave!!

I've tried to take some in too!!!! ....am a lost cause really, lol

GL with this, read a few pages, will try read ALL, over next week!

Run Golden!! [as usual]
  • edited December 2012
    Absolute Box, nice scores on St@rs and primo

#MBFN2BEWACKO 
  • edited December 2012
    I love these main event recaps: Not much happened, grinded, made cash, grinded some more, made FT, suddenly HU, standard. Mbn
  • edited December 2012
    well played Wacko,
    keep going mate,you'll soon have that £9999 up.
    :)
    dev
  • edited December 2012
    This is one of the best blogs ive read (mainly because im also a uni student doing a similar challenge).
    I had some recent success winning the £110 bh, final tabling the main event twice in 3 days, cashed for $2.8k in 888 $90 rebuy tournament all in the space of about 5-6 weeks. I havent been able to get much volume in due to uni work but i finish on the 14th december for a month so im buzzing there.

1)Challenge £300 roll playing satellites to MEs, £11 and lower bounty hunters, £5.50 speeds
    £300 - £3000

Then sticking to 50 buy in brm cash, starting at 50NL attempting to get to 200NL within a year. wish me luck going to need it.
  • edited December 2012

The great run continues!

Without giving all your secrets away, what do you think you do better than other winning players on Sky with more modest records, that allows you to just crush so much more than them? 

I guess you could just answer "I run beter" or something comical, but a strategy based answer would be awesome! ;)

If you take a small winning mtt player and try to help him improve to beat specifically sky MTTs, what areas would you target to make the biggest difference? 

Worth a shot right :)

Keep crushing! 
  • edited December 2012
    The great run continues! Without giving all your secrets away, what do you think you do better than other winning players on Sky with more modest records, that allows you to just crush so much more than them?  I guess you could just answer "I run beter" or something comical, but a strategy based answer would be awesome! ;) If you take a small winning mtt player and try to help him improve to beat specifically sky MTTs, what areas would you target to make the biggest difference?  Worth a shot right :) Keep crushing! 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
      Good q Dohhhhhhh

My question would be how would you improve a LOSING MTT player on this site ie me...ha
    I'll give you five points to put down then i'll trundle off to study them Wacko.....promise  you!
    Truly i feel at times that i'm risk averse. For instance in a league game last night on sky. BTN has less than 10 BB's  and opens  all-in.  Have 20+ BB's and AJo and feel that i should call but don't. Yes i wanted a good league position and that was considered but it was the thought of see a dominant hand or getting a terrible beat that put me off. I wonder how i can change my mindset to look upon these as opportunities and not be pessiistic.
  • edited December 2012
    Hi all,

Not too much has happened poker wise over the last few days, but il update and answer all questions either tonight or tomorrow or both :)

Just got back from the Hobbit, tempted to write my review now but perhaps il be giving away too many spoliers so il wait...possibly!!! Was so good, ldfiblf! Thoroughly enjoyable, I was sad when it ended. Possibly a mini review tomorrow, wel see.
  • edited December 2012
    You thought it was that good? I'm a big lotr fan and I was kinda disappointed :-( just a little bit tho. Thought it really livened up when gollum was on. I thought too many scenes were predictable
  • edited December 2012
    nice one Wacko, u do make it look easy ) vwp
    Posted by rancid
    Cheers Rancid :)
  • edited December 2012
    Great Advice to Liamboi, Dave!! I've tried to take some in too!!!! ....am a lost cause really, lol GL with this, read a few pages, will try read ALL, over next week! Run Golden!! [as usual]
    Posted by HITMAN_RV
    TYVM Skip. Lolol you dont need any advice you have a perfectly good game yourself! No point changing it now apart from the odd tweak here and there.
  • edited December 2012
    Absolute Box, nice scores on St@rs and primo #MBFN2BEWACKO 
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    Cheers young lad. Hope you got your internet sorted now ;) we all miss you!
  • edited December 2012
    I love these main event recaps: Not much happened, grinded, made cash, grinded some more, made FT, suddenly HU, standard. Mbn
    Posted by Giant811
    Hi giant lolol, you are correct! I have an issue when im writing of not proof reading at the end, so I do sometimes cringe when I read things back and its all rather disjointed and nonsensical! But what you put sort of sums most of them up anyway ;)
  • edited December 2012
    well played Wacko, keep going mate,you'll soon have that £9999 up. :) dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    Cheers dev, not sure it will be that quick but hoping the next few weeks will push it up a bit! We shall see
  • edited December 2012
    Hi Wacko,  Still reading & enjoying the "ride"!! 
  • edited December 2012
    This is one of the best blogs ive read (mainly because im also a uni student doing a similar challenge). I had some recent success winning the £110 bh, final tabling the main event twice in 3 days, cashed for $2.8k in 888 $90 rebuy tournament all in the space of about 5-6 weeks. I havent been able to get much volume in due to uni work but i finish on the 14th december for a month so im buzzing there. 1)Challenge £300 roll playing satellites to MEs, £11 and lower bounty hunters, £5.50 speeds £300 - £3000 Then sticking to 50 buy in brm cash, starting at 50NL attempting to get to 200NL within a year. wish me luck going to need it.
    Posted by RyanC7
    Hey ryan, congrats on your recent wins :) One pience of advice...focus on uni, in the past I have struggled to balance uni with poker and got some cr ap grades, still struggle now but getting the balance mostly right, i.e. im not playing as much and focusing on my work.

Cash is a completely different game to mtts, just because you can crush mtts doesnt mean your going to beat cash or even get near, cash games are tough and nl50 is probably the toughest level on the site. But I wish you luck, it is beatable and exploitable over long periods. By the way youve started on mtts im sure you can make some good money off them on the side of UNI. So best of luck, keep us updated every now and then and good luck.
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Diary, Challenge, Motivation.Challenge to £9999.Current BR 2559.14!! Primo 2nd place. HOBBIT!!!:
    You thought it was that good? I'm a big lotr fan and I was kinda disappointed :-( just a little bit tho. Thought it really livened up when gollum was on. I thought too many scenes were predictable
    Posted by percival09
    Predictable cant be the right word, it has to keep faithful to the book, so if its predictable, the problem lies with Tolkien.

Going to see it tday, reviews from the media have not been favourable tho. Still think il enjoy it.
  • edited December 2012
    The great run continues! Without giving all your secrets away, what do you think you do better than other winning players on Sky with more modest records, that allows you to just crush so much more than them?  I guess you could just answer "I run beter" or something comical, but a strategy based answer would be awesome! ;) If you take a small winning mtt player and try to help him improve to beat specifically sky MTTs, what areas would you target to make the biggest difference?  Worth a shot right :) Keep crushing! 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Just spent an hour writing a reply, for the pop up to come up so I couldnt get back. Tilting. Haha so il try again on word, schoolboy error tbf haha. :(