You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ramblings of an old man

Comments

• edited October 2015

Patrick owes me a refund. 

I paid him to do this before our HU, not after. 

Despite the unfortunate circumstances it sounds like it may be a blessing in disguise. 

Enjoy the break Paul. 
  • edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man:
    PS I wish you all the best. enjoy your holiday, have some quality family time. and gl with the hospital.
    Posted by GELDY

+1

All the best
  • edited October 2015
    come back stronger than ever 4 the break Jac.

And remember, if someone is slating you in chat box, it usually means you have taken their money ! Happy Days !
  • edited October 2015
    Looking forward to  the golfing stories.
    Enjoy your holibubbs. 
  • edited October 2015
    Hi Paul, along with a great deal of other folk I have been an avid reader of your wonderful thread. I hope that you spend some quality time with your family and come back feeling refreshed. 

It must be really difficult coping with your hospital issue on a daily basis, I feel for you and hope you get some sort of resolve to the issue soon.

Other people on here have put it much better than I can but I wanted to post my good wishes to a kind caring bloke who has been a great help to me.

As for the events leading up to this I liken it to hooliganism on the terraces, don't let them win my good man or they destroy all what is good in the game, all that will be left is a barren wasteland full of bitterness.
    We have in general a great community here and you have been a massive contributor to that and i hope when you return you continue your splendid stories. Tom.
  • edited October 2015

oioi, Grumpy Jac moans it in in the Punta Cana affair.

7JAC3510025£285
    Well done you.

Hope your health has improved, also that Penny is managing, too, it must be quite a strain for her, all things considered. Oh, & if young Harry is keeping you awake all night, wp him.

Now get your backside in gear, & get this diary back on track, you have a forum full of fans.
  • edited October 2015
    PS I wish you all the best. enjoy your holiday, have some quality family time. and gl with the hospital.
    Posted by GELDY
    As a long time reader, i totally agree with the above statement. A break and a rest will do you the power of good, and post about your holidays and lifestlye stuff or any holes in 1 in your next bloggage when refreshed.

Keep Healthy and be Lucky,

Cheers, Dave.
  • edited October 2015
    oioi, Grumpy Jac moans it in in the Punta Cana affair.   7 JAC35 10025 £285 Well done you. Hope your health has improved, also that Penny is managing, too, it must be quite a strain for her, all things considered. Oh, & if young Harry is keeping you awake all night, wp him. Now get your backside in gear, & get this diary back on track, you have a forum full of fans.
    Posted by Tikay10
    He will be back on them tables soon he love's battling with me to much to leave!!
    Have a good holiday jac35.
  • edited October 2015

Friends of Paul may want to read this thread, HERE
  • edited October 2015
     Hello
    Firstly, thanks to everyone for the nice messages. Just a one off post this. I'll post more when I start playing again.

We arrived back late last night. Holiday was fantastic. We played 5 different courses and all were good with Palmares being the pick of the bunch. Comfortably in the top 5 that I've ever played. 

Health was pretty good. Managed to play every day. Having buggies was definitely a big help. First day the forecast was that it was the end of the world. Certainly it seemed that way as we had breakfast with fat people covering a plate with chips and then them giving their fat kids the same. People like all inclusives and if we can make ourselves sick then so much the better. Never seen so much food consumed.

We really thought that the course would be closed but fortunately it was open and ten minutes before we teed off the rain stopped and the sun came out. Glorious weather all round and we played pretty well. We were joined by a lovely couple couple from Uddersfield. They were a bit like the Bromleys. Posh, but with a fun accent.

Tuesday was the end of the world. Well, for 9 holes anyway. My expensive waterproofs decided that the weren't that waterproof after all. It finally stopped raining on the 8th and I bought a new wardrobe from the pro shop and changed into it. Was well worth it. Back 9 was dry and Vale de Lobo Ocean course was something special.

On Friday we joined up with a German. We deliberated on which language to use to communicate and in the end plumped for English. We taught Ralph a couple of new words. He knew all the swear ones but 'bobble' and 'narrow' weren't part of his vocabulary. Still, at least he tried. He loved 'bobble'. It reminded me of Blackadder and the Germans not having a word for 'fluffy'

Had hardly any internet for the whole week. Could only get it occasionally in reception. How did we ever live with the Internet? Actually it was probably a blessing. Didn't think about poker at all really other than when the tubby genius sent me the hh of his latest bad beat. 

Was on a bunch of antibiotics and so couldn't drink for most of the week. To be honest  from experience it's not much fun when the people you're with don't drink. You get tanked up and they seem boring and you just look like a bit of a knob to them.

We found a table tennis table and that was great. We both used to play quite a lot. Didn't look good at first but it worked out well. They had bats but no balls. We walked up the street more in hope that in expectation of finding a shop that would sell balls. Bingo! First one.
    We were the only people on site to have a table tennis ball. The table was ours.

The place we stayed was adequate I guess. Fine for us but not really a place I'd like to take the family.

Being me it couldn't all be good! Developed toothache over the last couple of days. Really painful on way home. Looked In the mirror and my gums looked scary. Whacked some Bonjela on and it's easing. Don't particularly fancy another trip to the dentists.

Driving went ok. I'm used to a car that is an auto and puts lights and handbrakes on for you. Here i had gears and left hand drive. Only slight mishap was leaving a course on a quiet country lane and after about half a mile having to avoid some idiot driving on the wrong side of the road.

Off for Sunday dinner now. Will do my best to remember to eat on my left side of mouth. 

Mighty Rams are being mighty again. Last Sunday it was a case of best laid plans. Match was at 13.15 and we flew at 15.50. Ok, we'll get there early and watch the game. Every bar had bloody rugby on. 

See you all soon.

• edited October 2015
    Glad you had a good holiday and good to have you back see ya at the tables soon.
  • edited October 2015
     Hello Firstly, thanks to everyone for the nice messages. Just a one off post this. I'll post more when I start playing again. We arrived back late last night. Holiday was fantastic. We played 5 different courses and all were good with Palmares being the pick of the bunch. Comfortably in the top 5 that I've ever played.  Health was pretty good. Managed to play every day. Having buggies was definitely a big help. First day the forecast was that it was the end of the world. Certainly it seemed that way as we had breakfast with fat people covering a plate with chips and then them giving their fat kids the same. People like all inclusives and if we can make ourselves sick then so much the better. Never seen so much food consumed. We really thought that the course would be closed but fortunately it was open and ten minutes before we teed off the rain stopped and the sun came out. Glorious weather all round and we played pretty well. We were joined by a lovely couple couple from Uddersfield. They were a bit like the Bromleys. Posh, but with a fun accent. Tuesday was the end of the world. Well, for 9 holes anyway. My expensive waterproofs decided that the weren't that waterproof after all. It finally stopped raining on the 8th and I bought a new wardrobe from the pro shop and changed into it. Was well worth it. Back 9 was dry and Vale de Lobo Ocean course was something special. On Friday we joined up with a German. We deliberated on which language to use to communicate and in the end plumped for English. We taught Ralph a couple of new words. He knew all the swear ones but 'bobble' and 'narrow' weren't part of his vocabulary. Still, at least he tried. He loved 'bobble'. It reminded me of Blackadder and the Germans not having a word for 'fluffy' Had hardly any internet for the whole week. Could only get it occasionally in reception. How did we ever live with the Internet? Actually it was probably a blessing. Didn't think about poker at all really other than when the tubby genius sent me the hh of his latest bad beat.  Was on a bunch of antibiotics and so couldn't drink for most of the week. To be honest  from experience it's not much fun when the people you're with don't drink. You get tanked up and they seem boring and you just look like a bit of a knob to them. We found a table tennis table and that was great. We both used to play quite a lot. Didn't look good at first but it worked out well. They had bats but no balls. We walked up the street more in hope that in expectation of finding a shop that would sell balls. Bingo! First one. We were the only people on site to have a table tennis ball. The table was ours. The place we stayed was adequate I guess. Fine for us but not really a place I'd like to take the family. Being me it couldn't all be good! Developed toothache over the last couple of days. Really painful on way home. Looked In the mirror and my gums looked scary. Whacked some Bonjela on and it's easing. Don't particularly fancy another trip to the dentists. Driving went ok. I'm used to a car that is an auto and puts lights and handbrakes on for you. Here i had gears and left hand drive. Only slight mishap was leaving a course on a quiet country lane and after about half a mile having to avoid some idiot driving on the wrong side of the road. Off for Sunday dinner now. Will do my best to remember to eat on my left side of mouth.  Mighty Rams are being mighty again. Last Sunday it was a case of best laid plans. Match was at 13.15 and we flew at 15.50. Ok, we'll get there early and watch the game. Every bar had bloody rugby on.  See you all soon.
    Posted by Jac35
    tl;dr
  • edited October 2015
     Hello Firstly, thanks to everyone for the nice messages. Just a one off post this. I'll post more when I start playing again. We arrived back late last night. Holiday was fantastic. We played 5 different courses and all were good with Palmares being the pick of the bunch. Comfortably in the top 5 that I've ever played.  Health was pretty good. Managed to play every day. Having buggies was definitely a big help. First day the forecast was that it was the end of the world. Certainly it seemed that way as we had breakfast with fat people covering a plate with chips and then them giving their fat kids the same. People like all inclusives and if we can make ourselves sick then so much the better. Never seen so much food consumed. We really thought that the course would be closed but fortunately it was open and ten minutes before we teed off the rain stopped and the sun came out. Glorious weather all round and we played pretty well. We were joined by a lovely couple couple from Uddersfield. They were a bit like the Bromleys. Posh, but with a fun accent. Tuesday was the end of the world. Well, for 9 holes anyway. My expensive waterproofs decided that the weren't that waterproof after all. It finally stopped raining on the 8th and I bought a new wardrobe from the pro shop and changed into it. Was well worth it. Back 9 was dry and Vale de Lobo Ocean course was something special. On Friday we joined up with a German. We deliberated on which language to use to communicate and in the end plumped for English. We taught Ralph a couple of new words. He knew all the swear ones but 'bobble' and 'narrow' weren't part of his vocabulary. Still, at least he tried. He loved 'bobble'. It reminded me of Blackadder and the Germans not having a word for 'fluffy' Had hardly any internet for the whole week. Could only get it occasionally in reception. How did we ever live with the Internet? Actually it was probably a blessing. Didn't think about poker at all really other than when the tubby genius sent me the hh of his latest bad beat.  Was on a bunch of antibiotics and so couldn't drink for most of the week. To be honest  from experience it's not much fun when the people you're with don't drink. You get tanked up and they seem boring and you just look like a bit of a knob to them. We found a table tennis table and that was great. We both used to play quite a lot. Didn't look good at first but it worked out well. They had bats but no balls. We walked up the street more in hope that in expectation of finding a shop that would sell balls. Bingo! First one. We were the only people on site to have a table tennis ball. The table was ours. The place we stayed was adequate I guess. Fine for us but not really a place I'd like to take the family. Being me it couldn't all be good! Developed toothache over the last couple of days. Really painful on way home. Looked In the mirror and my gums looked scary. Whacked some Bonjela on and it's easing. Don't particularly fancy another trip to the dentists. Driving went ok. I'm used to a car that is an auto and puts lights and handbrakes on for you. Here i had gears and left hand drive. Only slight mishap was leaving a course on a quiet country lane and after about half a mile having to avoid some idiot driving on the wrong side of the road. Off for Sunday dinner now. Will do my best to remember to eat on my left side of mouth.  Mighty Rams are being mighty again. Last Sunday it was a case of best laid plans. Match was at 13.15 and we flew at 15.50. Ok, we'll get there early and watch the game. Every bar had bloody rugby on.  See you all soon.
    Posted by Jac35

Palmares is one of my favorites too, glad you enjoyed it.

• edited October 2015

Good to see you back, Lord Grumpy.

• edited October 2015
    Got the table tennis bug again on holiday. Bought a new bat, or racquet, as they should be called apparently. Did a bit of research first and my ignorance to it all was huge. Kinda thought that a bat was a bat. Not so. Custom bats are the way. Pretty daft of me really as I should have realised as golf sticks aren't exactly all the same.
    New shiny white trainers as well and we're ready to go tonight.

My non playing is going well. Railed the little fat fella for a bit last night and couldn't help myself and loaded up a couple of cash tables. Only played for 10 minutes before I hit and ran with £12 profit. A winning night! Forgotten about them. Also looked in on Bates crushing the 9pm. Just al luckbox though according to chatbox.

Big 3 games for the Mighty Rams before the next stupid international break. Mouth watering game against Rotherham on Saturday and then Qpr on Tuesday. I'm sure their fans won't remind us of our last encounter. Then Forest away next Friday night. Smart decision to play that game on a Friday night. Happened once before about 5 years ago. Derby city centre was wrecked although an outsider might not have noticed the difference.

Right, back to hibernation
  • edited October 2015

^^^^

You forgot to mention you joined us for PLO8 fun & frolics the other night. Was grand to see you there.

"mmmchips", who I introduced you to, is a truly LOVELY bloke, he really is. Thinks you are a Nottm Forest supporter though, can't think why.

PS - Has Hendrick stolen your log in? He is the very spit of you when chatting at the tables. These were his comments last night;

sigh

marv

I should have known

of course 

I've not won a hand against you in 17 years
  • edited October 2015
    ^^^^ You forgot to mention you joined us for PLO8 fun & frolics the other night. Was grand to see you there. "mmmchips", who I introduced you to, is a truly LOVELY bloke, he really is. Thinks you are a Nottm Forest supporter though, can't think why. PS - Has Hendrick stolen your log in? He is the very spit of you when chatting at the tables. These were his comments last night; sigh marv I should have known of course  I've not won a hand against you in 17 years
    Posted by Tikay10

Defo not Jimi....
    There was no 'I am playing like a fud on speed' :)

• edited October 2015
    ^^^^ You forgot to mention you joined us for PLO8 fun & frolics the other night. Was grand to see you there. "mmmchips", who I introduced you to, is a truly LOVELY bloke, he really is. Thinks you are a Nottm Forest supporter though, can't think why. PS - Has Hendrick stolen your log in? He is the very spit of you when chatting at the tables. These were his comments last night; sigh marv I should have known of course  I've not won a hand against you in 17 years
    Posted by Tikay10

literally laughed out loud when I read this..... I need to start taking deep breaths.

Sam, thats my turbo tourney defaut setting ;-)
  • edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : literally laughed out loud when I read this..... I need to start taking deep breaths. Sam, thats my turbo tourney defaut setting ;-)
    Posted by HENDRIK62

was that comment 'didn't realise my laptop wouldn't work after a kick across the room' during PLO last night true? hahaha

• edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : was that comment 'didn't realise my laptop wouldn't work after a kick across the room' during PLO last night true? hahaha
    Posted by samantha25

No I didn't kick it.....but i did have to go and pick it up :-)
  • edited November 2015
    Just want to say a massive thanks to the best railer in the world, without you I wouldn't have won. Simples.
  • edited November 2015
    Just want to say a massive thanks to the best railer in the world, without you I wouldn't have won. Simples.
    Posted by cpfc_2010
    You won the Main Event, and finalled the £25,000 thing, right?

Massive congrats to you, great work. Proper UKOPS start, that.
  • edited November 2015
    Posted by cpfc_2010
    Anytime mate, wp.
  • edited November 2015
    City Ground! Oh mist rolling in from the trent! My desire, is always to be here oh City Ground..............You redsssssss!
  • edited November 2015
    Been enjoying UKOPs despite not having any success in it thus far. Only played a few games. From making priority in 10 days at the beginning of last month to getting £2.30 tokens the last few weeks confirms a slight decrease in volume :)

I probably wouldn't have played at all but I've jumped into a few games after watching Cpfc doing so well. I think he started UKOPs with about £50 in his account as he doesn't play on Sky that much these days. To run that up to around £7500 since last Sunday is pretty impressive. So pleased for him. Just one of the nicest people you could ever wish to meet. 
    Penny has smashed up her knee. At the very least she's torn her cartilage and she may have some ACL damage as well. I go to work at 6am and so there's been no choice but for Penny and Harry to go and stay at her Mums for a while. Bit rubbish that.
    Talking of rubbish, Derby were pretty hopeless last Friday night. Hopefully just a one off. We've been playing really well recently and it's only our second defeat of the season. At least the defeats have been against little teams that won't be challenging at the end of the year.
    Good to see Jordz doing so well in the UKOPs. He seems a really nice guy and I'm pleased for him. He just keeps getting it quietly, other than his brag post yesterday :)
    Played a few dyms last surprisingly successfully. Made a profit in those. Not sure it's a great thing that I got welcomed back to the tables by a reg :)
    "Great to see you back Jac"
    Hmmm

• edited November 2015
    Harry didn't disappoint 
    His Grandma changed his nappy yesterday and when she got the wet wipe out he said
    "Noooooh, cold spuds"
  • edited November 2015
    Harry didn't disappoint  His Grandma changed his nappy yesterday and when she got the wet wipe out he said "Noooooh, cold spuds"
    Posted by Jac35
    Pretty sure hhy has his own diary to do these kind of updates on ;)

• edited November 2015
    I was feeling a little sorry for myself after I finished up playing last night. The evening once again confirmed to me that my poker is really bad at the minute. Then I had a look at the forum and watched the news. It made me feel like such an idiot.

The events in Paris were just horrific. 

I read Toms wonderful thread as well. Tom is amazing. I like how he writes so honestly and with such a dry sense of humour. I wonder if it gets as many readers as it should do. I'm not sure that everyone really looks in on the rail part of the forum. 

Mrs J having a much needed break this weekend. She's off at a spa with some friends. Just me and the boy after work this morning. Think we'll be off to JCB to see some diggers. I dropped him off last night at his Grandmas. Normally when he sees his Grandma it's like I don't exist so it was really nice last night when he wouldn't let go off me when I was leaving.

Saw the UKPC thread yesterday. Made me think that perhaps it's time for a change of alias for SPT :)

International breaks. Bah

Had me a haircut yesterday. How does "a little off the top please" ever translate to near enough a grade 1 all over? My tabs are cold this morning

• edited November 2015
    I was feeling a little sorry for myself after I finished up playing last night. The evening once again confirmed to me that my poker is really bad at the minute. Then I had a look at the forum and watched the news. It made me feel like such an idiot. The events in Paris were just horrific.  I read Toms wonderful thread as well. Tom is amazing. I like how he writes so honestly and with such a dry sense of humour. I wonder if it gets as many readers as it should do. I'm not sure that everyone really looks in on the rail part of the forum.  Mrs J having a much needed break this weekend. She's off at a spa with some friends. Just me and the boy after work this morning. Think we'll be off to JCB to see some diggers. I dropped him off last night at his Grandmas. Normally when he sees his Grandma it's like I don't exist so it was really nice last night when he wouldn't let go off me when I was leaving. Saw the UKPC thread yesterday. Made me think that perhaps it's time for a change of alias for SPT :) International breaks. Bah Had me a haircut yesterday. How does "a little off the top please" ever translate to near enough a grade 1 all over? My tabs are cold this morning
    Posted by Jac35
    Amen to all that.

Some poker players seem to exist in a little world of their own, a poker bubble. Meanwhile, real tragedy, real disaster, is all around us.

Tom's thread is a great example. Maybe 6 or 7 people take the trouble to comment on there regularly. If they did but know, every reply gives Tom encouragement, hope, & the feeling that his bad beat - a real bad beat - is shared, if not exactly understood. Few of us can imagine what it must be like to be in Tom's shoes right now.  
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Amen to all that. Some poker players seem to exist in a little world of their own, a poker bubble. Meanwhile, real tragedy, real disaster, is all around us.   Tom's thread is a great example. Maybe 6 or 7 people take the trouble to comment on there regularly. If they did but know, every reply gives Tom encouragement, hope, & the feeling that his bad beat - a real bad beat - is shared, if not exactly understood. Few of us can imagine what it must be like to be in Tom's shoes right now.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    How very true. He is a great example to us all of how to deal with adversity.

ul with that haircut Jac - I know the feeling so well.