You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ramblings of an old man

Comments

• edited December 2015
    Sorry to hear that bud.  Lost our dog a few years ago and it was the nut worst day ever.  Like Tom, I won't have another pet as losing them is to tough.

I hope you and your family are looking forward to a fun filled Xmas.
  • edited December 2015
    Know your pain Paul
    Just lost one of ours - been with us 15 years
    Like part of the family.
  • edited December 2015
    Thanks for comments guys.
  • edited December 2015
    Not played at all since last Friday night.
    Bit of a rough time away from the tables but hopefully that situation is resolving a bit now.

'Celebrated' my 40th birthday on Sunday. Genuine old man ramblings now.

Derby were effective if not brilliant last night. 2 losses all season. Forest and Leeds, Grrr 
    Got the dirty horrible ones again on tv in a couple of weeks. Would be nice to exact some revenge.
  • edited December 2015

Happy Xmas you 'ol wrinkled sausage..

comisserations on your coming of age...

at least you can look forward to your mid life crisis of buying a 2 seater soft top sports car
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man:
    Happy Xmas you 'ol wrinkled sausage.. comisserations on your coming of age... at least you can look forward to your mid life crisis of buying a 2 seater soft top sports car
    Posted by badcawl
    Thank you :)
    I did the 2 seater soft top thing early. For my 30th I bought a Z4. Surprisingly spacious. Did a golf break to Wales. Trolley, clubs and small suitcase in boot. Friend and his clubs in front. 
  • edited December 2015
    Happy 40th Sir!!
  • edited December 2015
    I actually thought you were older

Happy birthday
  • edited December 2015
    I actually thought you were older Happy birthday
    Posted by stuarty117
    Why is Top Of The Posts not around anymore?
  • edited December 2015
    Played for the first time since last Friday yesterday.
    7 out of 7 Dyms was nice and I had a good run in the main. Knocked myself out in the end but was pleased to make £78 on the night I spose.

I might finally get to play the rebuy at Derby this weekend. I'm off Monday. Something will probably end up stopping like usual.
    Managed to find this the other day. YouTube is amazing. They don't make em like they used to.

Rocketman

My Dads favourite show growing up. They occasionally still showed it when I was a kid and I was made to watch it. It was pretty good actually apart from the con at the end of the program. Rocket man was always hurtling towards certain death when we got the "to be continued" bit.

Next week when it was on there would always be something slightly different about the situation and Rocketman would be able to save himself.
    Went shopping yesterday and absentmindedly bought cat food.
    Sigh

• edited December 2015
    Played for the first time since last Friday yesterday. 7 out of 7 Dyms was nice and I had a good run in the main. Knocked myself out in the end but was pleased to make £78 on the night I spose. I might finally get to play the rebuy at Derby this weekend. I'm off Monday. Something will probably end up stopping like usual. ... Managed to find this the other day. YouTube is amazing. They don't make em like they used to. http://youtu.be/Mq9DUjLDjco Rocketman My Dads favourite show growing up. They occasionally still showed it when I was a kid and I was made to watch it. It was pretty good actually apart from the con at the end of the program. Rocket man was always hurtling towards certain death when we got the "to be continued" bit. Next week when it was on there would always be something slightly different about the situation and Rocketman would be able to save himself. ... Went shopping yesterday and absentmindedly bought cat food. Sigh
    Posted by Jac35
    The rescue centres will be full of 'older' cats (i.e. not fluffy cuddly kittens) in the new year as they get abandoned by people who should never have had them in the first place. Go along and treat one to a new home!
  • edited December 2015
    Me on a bus?
    Can only mean one thing. I've escaped the dragon for one evening and I'm finally on my way to the rebuy at Derby.

Standby for drunken rants and observations, followed quickly by more deletes than normal. (Luckily as hhyftdr has been made a mod he might do it for me)

Looking forward to a few things.
    The instant a hand ends, Linda will be screeching "Antes" and the when I get knocked out by some fish she'll scream "Seat open" before I've even had chance to get out of my chair.

Vittorio will say "are you absolutely sure you want another pint Paul?"

When I bust out the comp and go to cash I'll at some point win a hand. Neil will then say "completely owned him again and he's luckboxed it as usual"

Scummy Jason will no doubt ask me as soon as I arrive "Can you lend me a fiver mate? cards not working"

Can't wait!

Btw
    This bus has wifi! How exciting.
  • edited December 2015
    In other quite disturbing news.
    I've just heard that Evilpingu has just played a sat for cash. He won as well thus depriving decent hard working people the chance of a seat.
    Should probably ban him
  • edited December 2015
    Me on a bus? Can only mean one thing. I've escaped the dragon for one evening and I'm finally on my way to the rebuy at Derby. Standby for drunken rants and observations, followed quickly by more deletes than normal. (Luckily as hhyftdr has been made a mod he might do it for me) Looking forward to a few things. The instant a hand ends, Linda will be screeching "Antes" and the when I get knocked out by some fish she'll scream "Seat open" before I've even had chance to get out of my chair. Vittorio will say "are you absolutely sure you want another pint Paul?" When I bust out the comp and go to cash I'll at some point win a hand. Neil will then say "completely owned him again and he's luckboxed it as usual" Scummy Jason will no doubt ask me as soon as I arrive "Can you lend me a fiver mate? cards not working" Can't wait! Btw This bus has wifi! How exciting.
    Posted by Jac35
    Norris a mod - surely cant be true
  • edited December 2015

Best of luck tonight enjoy.

Me on a bus? Can only mean one thing. I've escaped the dragon for one evening and I'm finally on my way to the rebuy at Derby. Standby for drunken rants and observations, followed quickly by more deletes than normal. (Luckily as hhyftdr has been made a mod he might do it for me) Looking forward to a few things. The instant a hand ends, Linda will be screeching "Antes" and the when I get knocked out by some fish she'll scream "Seat open" before I've even had chance to get out of my chair. Vittorio will say "are you absolutely sure you want another pint Paul?" When I bust out the comp and go to cash I'll at some point win a hand. Neil will then say "completely owned him again and he's luckboxed it as usual" Scummy Jason will no doubt ask me as soon as I arrive "Can you lend me a fiver mate? cards not working" Can't wait! Btw This bus has wifi! How exciting.
    Posted by Jac35
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man:
    Best of luck tonight enjoy. In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man :
    Posted by day4eire76
    I didn't

Did 3 buy ins in 60 minutes. Didn't win a single hand.
    Max 2 rebuys, so I'm out 

Cash doesn't start until 11ish

Tried a mate for pub. Blown out 

Went for bus. It was just leaving as I got there.

Went for taxi. 15 minute wait on a Sunday night.

Had better nights :)
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to  Re: Ramblings of an old man : I didn't Did 3 buy ins in 60 minutes. Didn't win a single hand. Max 2 rebuys, so I'm out  Cash doesn't start until 11ish Tried a mate for pub. Blown out  Went for bus. It was just leaving as I got there. Went for taxi. 15 minute wait on a Sunday night. Had better nights :)
    Posted by Jac35
    Ouch run better sir.
    Merry Xmas :).
  • edited December 2015
    Wow must be due some run good soon.

In Response to  Re: Ramblings of an old man : I didn't Did 3 buy ins in 60 minutes. Didn't win a single hand. Max 2 rebuys, so I'm out  Cash doesn't start until 11ish Tried a mate for pub. Blown out  Went for bus. It was just leaving as I got there. Went for taxi. 15 minute wait on a Sunday night. Had better nights :)
    Posted by Jac35
  • edited December 2015
    All drama here ;) 

You got a lift in the end.

Got drunk.

And didn't get bumraped by style and sam1986 too much on yr return.

Book that as a win.

MERRY CRIMBO DADNESS!!!!

• edited December 2015
    Posted by Jac35

BS surely, how can a TROLL be a mod ;)
  • edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : BS surely, how can a TROLL be a mod ;)
    Posted by samantha25
    How can someone act with no morals or conscience? Life is full of mysteries eh.
  • edited December 2015
    All drama here ;)  You got a lift in the end. Got drunk. And didn't get bumraped by style and sam1986 too much on yr return. Book that as a win. MERRY CRIMBO DADNESS!!!!
    Posted by samantha25
    Beautifully put Samantha.
    I think this covers it most simply and accurately 

I'm a clown
  • edited December 2015
    Review

On paper the year looks decent 
    Around £5.5k profit from online and live games and an amazing trip to Vegas. Cashing in a WSOP event was a huge buzz. Shortly after that I won £600 in the priority freeroll at Dtd and things were good.

Scratch beneath the surface a little and there are some worrying things. I was flying up until September. £6k up and on for my best ever year.
    Since then I've been a losing player. If it wasn't for substantial rakeback, affiliate bonuses etc I'd be down a lot. For example I put in a lot of volume at the start of October and made nearly £1k in bonus payments. Sng promotion helped with that.

It's frowned upon but I always include rakeback in profits. The way I see it I have a starting balance and a finishing balance. How I get there I don't really care. However, that's all well and good when you're winning but when rakeback is only just covering losses then it's time to have a proper look at things.

So I think I'm done for this year with a profit of around £5.5k and the Vegas trip. I averaged just over £8k every year for my first 3 years on Sky from online and  live play and so it's a bit disappointing.

I've lost my way on and off the tables in the last few months. To get back on track I really need to focus and so for the first time I'm going to set myself some goals for next year.

As an example, it's been clear for a long long time that I'm hopeless at online cash. Stop playing it Paul!
    Also Dyms are my best game. They suit my limited skill. They're not thrilling but with chunky rakeback they can be very profitable. 
    I have one of the best ROIs on the site at decent levels and from a good sample.
    Play Dyms Paul!

• edited February 2016
    2016 Goals

Be a good Dad

Be happy

Post less on here and be positive when I do. Sky has been fantastic for me and I've met some great people who are now real friends. I'd like to give something back rather than cause problems.

Get my handicap back down to 7

Get fitter / lose weight

Watch Derby in the Premier League

Make priority at least 6 times

Play Dyms for 95% of my online poker

Not one hand of online cash* Feel free to punch me in the face at a live comp if you see play cash on here 

Have a 10k year

Cash allowed if there are promotions

Thank you to everyone who puts up with me and posts on here. I'm sorry it's just been a whinge thread for what seems like forever.

I hope everyone has a great Christmas 

• edited December 2015
    Review On paper the year looks decent  Around £5.5k profit from online and live games and an amazing trip to Vegas. Cashing in a WSOP event was a huge buzz. Shortly after that I won £600 in the priority freeroll at Dtd and things were good. Scratch beneath the surface a little and there are some worrying things. I was flying up until September. £6k up and on for my best ever year. Since then I've been a losing player. If it wasn't for substantial rakeback, affiliate bonuses etc I'd be down a lot. For example I put in a lot of volume at the start of October and made nearly £1k in bonus payments. Sng promotion helped with that. It's frowned upon but I always include rakeback in profits. The way I see it I have a starting balance and a finishing balance. How I get there I don't really care. However, that's all well and good when you're winning but when rakeback is only just covering losses then it's time to have a proper look at things. So I think I'm done for this year with a profit of around £5.5k and the Vegas trip. I averaged just over £8k every year for my first 3 years on Sky from online and  live play and so it's a bit disappointing. I've lost my way on and off the tables in the last few months. To get back on track I really need to focus and so for the first time I'm going to set myself some goals for next year. As an example, it's been clear for a long long time that I'm hopeless at online cash. Stop playing it Paul! Also Dyms are my best game. They suit my limited skill. They're not thrilling but with chunky rakeback they can be very profitable.  I have one of the best ROIs on the site at decent levels and from a good sample. Play Dyms Paul!
    Posted by Jac35
    Impressive stuff considering the circumstances Paul, what with looking after Penny & Harry, the travails of Derby County & all those dental issues, well done.

I agree that the best way to measure profit is the Account Balance, but the Viva Las Vegas Trip had a face value of £3,200, how do you account for that?   

• edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Impressive stuff considering the circumstances Paul, what with looking after Penny & Harry, the travails of Derby County & all those dental issues, well done. I agree that the best way to measure profit is the Account Balance, but the Viva Las Vegas Trip had a face value of £3,200, how do you account for that?       
    Posted by Tikay10
    £3,200 - Buyin of target tournament + amount cashed =  $$$

That's what I'd go with ^.

------

Ofc rakeback should count in profits.  :) 

The great P explained to me the other day...

"people need to stop differentiating between a winning player and a rakeback grinder
    a rakeback grinder still beats the game and is therefore a winning player. imagine if rake was zero, he'd crush" Being a winning player with good rakeback bonuses, even better.

Congrats on another very good year at the tables Paul. 
  • edited December 2015
    Review On paper the year looks decent  Around £5.5k profit from online and live games and an amazing trip to Vegas. Cashing in a WSOP event was a huge buzz. Shortly after that I won £600 in the priority freeroll at Dtd and things were good. Scratch beneath the surface a little and there are some worrying things. I was flying up until September. £6k up and on for my best ever year. Since then I've been a losing player. If it wasn't for substantial rakeback, affiliate bonuses etc I'd be down a lot. For example I put in a lot of volume at the start of October and made nearly £1k in bonus payments. Sng promotion helped with that. It's frowned upon but I always include rakeback in profits. The way I see it I have a starting balance and a finishing balance. How I get there I don't really care. However, that's all well and good when you're winning but when rakeback is only just covering losses then it's time to have a proper look at things. So I think I'm done for this year with a profit of around £5.5k and the Vegas trip. I averaged just over £8k every year for my first 3 years on Sky from online and  live play and so it's a bit disappointing. I've lost my way on and off the tables in the last few months. To get back on track I really need to focus and so for the first time I'm going to set myself some goals for next year. As an example, it's been clear for a long long time that I'm hopeless at online cash. Stop playing it Paul! Also Dyms are my best game. They suit my limited skill. They're not thrilling but with chunky rakeback they can be very profitable.  I have one of the best ROIs on the site at decent levels and from a good sample. Play Dyms Paul!
    Posted by Jac35

Good year Jac and will look forward to seeing you on the Dym tables next year and i hope we do see Derby in the Prem as I have a nice bet on them for promotion.
    Merry xmas sir and a happy new year.

• edited December 2015
    2016 Goals Be a good Dad Be happy Post less on here and be positive when I do. Sky has been fantastic for me and I've met some great people who are now real friends. I'd like to give something back rather than cause problems. Get my handicap back down to 7 Get fitter / lose weight Watch Derby in the Premier League Make priority at least 6 times Play Dyms for 95% of my online poker Not one hand of online cash. Feel free to punch me in the face at a live comp if you see play cash on here  Have a 10k year ..... Thank you to everyone who puts up with me and posts on here. I'm sorry it's just been a whinge thread for what seems like forever. I hope everyone has a great Christmas 
    Posted by Jac35
    Some of those goals are really gonna stretch you.
  • edited December 2015
    great results this year paul hope you and family have a nice xmas n new year mate :)
  • edited December 2015
    Happy Christmas Jac, enjoy it!