You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ramblings of an old man

Comments

• edited October 2015
    Frustrating game
    By Tuesday I'd recovered the £307 I lost on Friday night plus a bit. Very pleased with that. Last night I pretty much lost all that again - £285 down on the night. In truth I played terribly. Add to that I only won 1 of the £50's I played and it's a bad night. Winning/Losing flips in £50's soon changes things dramatically. 

I have weird nights with dyms where I just do things differently to the norm. I know I'm doing it but can't stop myself. 
    The £55 9pm was a chance to turn it all around but it was typical of the night that my 3bet shove for 12 or so bigs was snapped by K9 who quickly made trips. 11 left at that stage and it would have put me right in it.

Still, the month has only just begun and so I've plenty of time to turn it around.
    Match on Saturday to make me even more miserable and then a little op next week (nothing serious). I'll be taking a bit of time of work and so will have a chance to put in some volume before going to Portugal on the 18th. 
    I was quite interested in the Punta Cana promo. I wouldn't be able to win it but thought I might be able to place reasonably high on the leaderboard. Not so sure that'll be possible now that Russian roulettes are included. The aim is to make around 15k points before I go away and we'll see where that puts me. Might just sneak into the money, not sure.

• edited October 2015
    Little fighter!

Played for a couple of hours tonight and got £210 back. Chuck in rakeback and i'm only about £35 down for the 2 nights now.
    Think i played a lot better. Only remember one real bit of spew and i got lucky on that occasion.

Swings are big when playing the £50's. I scraped through in the first one tonight but had an AK v Timmys AQ go a bit wrong in the 2nd. Win that one and suddenly i'm in profit for the month.

I should probably carry on now as i've been running pretty well tonight but i'm knackered. Got another 540 points and i'm up to 1695 for the month. Looking at the leaderboard i'm going to struggle to make any decent amount from that. Think i'll revise the plan already and just make sure on making priority by the time i go away. 

Busy weekend lined up. Work tomorrow morning and then i'll watch the Mighty Rams slaughter Tikays lowly Brentford tomorrrow afternoon. Going out with Mrs J Saturday night and she's decided she's going to have a drink for the first time all year. She'll be hammered after a couple :)

Right, House of Cards for an hour. Only got about six episodes left so any ideas on a new one to watch would be appreciated.

Have a nice weekend all
  • edited October 2015
    Ive watched so many box sets I lose count but if you haven't seen the wire it's a must.
  • edited October 2015
    Nice one on the profit tonight, I shall be jumping into a few DYM's next week so see you there...

I have just finished watching the first season of Narcos, I thought it was a great watch so I would strongly recommend that!

run well.
  • edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man:
    Ive watched so many box sets I lose count but if you haven't seen the wire it's a must.
    Posted by Snuffer
    the wire is just bossssss

i dont think will ever be bettered. 

• edited October 2015
    Swings and swongs, the agony and ecstasy, joy and pain or plain simple silly old variance. Well done in recovering the losses from the other night.

I sense in you Sir, a kindred soul for whom the hurt of soul bruising big losing seshes far outweighs the pleasure gained from an ego boosting, wallet filling, winning period.

I've had a few of both myself in recent weeks and found that results were starting to dictate my overall mood one way or another. Didn't like this side of myself and so inspired by your good impulsive self (you have mentioned snap cashouts once or twice) have withdrawn and parked up a large portion of the Sky bankroll to make sure I'm not tempted by those glitzy 50/100 cash tables and will focus on my latest challenge. I've decided I'm going to grind the DYM's alongside the likes of your good self, Timmy, Dialbi etc.

I've had a Scope of recent endeavours in the sphere and although it's a relatively small sample I'm hopeful of being competitive. I'll mainly be focusing on the £11-22 games for now and there seems to be decent enough volume available most times of the day. No real volume or winning targets set as yet, just want to see if I can hold my own over a decent sample (and hopefully make a few quid).
    So quit rubbing those hands in glee, en-garde and let the games commence!!

With that out of the way some quick random question?

1..Ever suffered from the "shanks"? If yes, what's your quick fix? It's an annual curse for me. Have fought back once more this season and shot my best ever round on Thursday. +7 (I'm a 13 handicap hacker and slasher.)

2..What do you do for a living? You seem to work hours that enable you to play tonnes of golf, poker every night and live at the pub. I work shifts so get the chance to partake in all 3 pursuits but not in the same day like you seem to!!

3..How can I get better at winning flips in MTT's?

Over and out for now. See you at the tables. Run well......ish.
  • edited October 2015
    Boxsets.

The Wire.
    The Sopranos.
    Californiacation.
    The Good Wife. (Seriously, it's very watchable).
  • edited October 2015
    Just 1 more....Ray Donovan.....awesome

• edited October 2015
    Thanks for the tips fellas 
    I think I'm going to go with Narcos to start with. Saw a trailer for it the other day and it appealed.

Great post Spanky.
    You're pretty close with your assumption. Another part of it is silly really. I hate embarrassing myself at the tables with stupid plays. The other night I couldn't believe some of the things that I was doing. I shouldn't care of course, it's all about the money in the end, but I do.

I remember reading a post from a chap who posts on another forum 'Greekstein'. You may have read his stuff. He said he quite likes it if other players think he's terrible. As long as he was making the money. I wish I could feel like that.

Question 1 - You're asking the wrong guy. My golf is mediocre at best these days. If Hendrik reads this then I'm sure he'll put you right. He's a proper player. Great bloke as well.

Question 2 - I do and incredibly low paid, rubbishy, dead end job these days. The one plus point is that I do early shifts which allows me to do some stuff.

Question 3 - You're asking the wrong guy. I'd suggest posting the same question on Timmys diary. He'll be able to assist on that ;)
  • edited October 2015
    As above ~
    The Wire :)
    xx
  • edited October 2015
    There was an absolutely bizarre end to one £30 dym last night. Poor Timmy, I felt a bit for him, not a lot, but a bit.

Fun player has played every single hand and amassed a huge stack. Blinds are 300/600 and myself and Timmy are clinging on. In one of the odd dym quirks, I have to let the blinds go through me leaving me with 27 chips. Timmy is going to be forced all in on his next big blind.

We get to his big blind and everything goes smoothly to start with. Button limps and fun guy makes up small blind. On J 3 6 they both check.

Then it got strange. On another low card turn the fun guy bets huge. Button tanks and says a couple of things in chatbox. I'm guessing he has a jack.

He eventually passes. Correctly I guess as fun guy must have a huge hand right? Er, no. He has 42 for a gutshot. You can probably imagine how I'm feeling when I see this. Timmy is going to win with something like 7 high. Then,  5 on the river.

BOOM
  • edited October 2015
    There was an absolutely bizarre end to one £30 dym last night. Poor Timmy, I felt a bit for him, not a lot, but a bit. Fun player has played every single hand and amassed a huge stack. Blinds are 300/600 and myself and Timmy are clinging on. In one of the odd dym quirks, I have to let the blinds go through me leaving me with 27 chips. Timmy is going to be forced all in on his next big blind. We get to his big blind and everything goes smoothly to start with. Button limps and fun guy makes up small blind. On J 3 6 they both check. Then it got strange. On another low card turn the fun guy bets huge. Button tanks and says a couple of things in chatbox. I'm guessing he has a jack. He eventually passes. Correctly I guess as fun guy must have a huge hand right? Er, no. He has 42 for a gutshot. You can probably imagine how I'm feeling when I see this. Timmy is going to win with something like 7 high. Then,  5 on the river. BOOM
    Posted by Jac35
    Haha yeah that was a fun little hand i do like when you win with 27chips like you said you would only see this in a Dym or on the bubble for a SAT. hmmmmm with winning flips even thou im pretty quiet in the chat box with bad beats etc when im grinding i do SHOUT the outs i need in and the cards i need to avoid so maybe the poker gods like that.
  • edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Haha yeah that was a fun little hand i do like when you win with 27chips like you said you would only see this in a Dym or on the bubble for a SAT. hmmmmm with winning flips even thou im pretty quiet in the chat box with bad beats etc when im grinding i do SHOUT the outs i need in and the cards i need to avoid so maybe the poker gods like that.
    Posted by TimmyRaRa
    A friend of mine who doesn't know Timmy said to me the other day that I always having pops at him and don't seem to like him. 
    Couldn't be further from the truth really. He occasionally winds me up a bit but I know it's absolutely unintentional. Timmy is a great bloke and I really admire the way he goes about his game. I should learn from him.

I noticed he had a rough start to the month. Not one single moan, he just kept plugging away. I'm sure he won't mind me saying this as he posts his results on his own diary. He quickly went £200+ down on the first night. Just kept on doing his thing and now he's £400+ in profit.

He's always going to win over the long run and so just accepts the bad nights that will inevitably happen from time to time. I wish that I had the same attitude there. I saw Matt write the other day that when he has a bad night and a few bad beats it doesn't affect him in the slightest as he knows that he will always make money.

I would hope to be in the same category. My long term results show that I make money. I need to be way less emotional about it all and take it in my stride more. I suppose the other night that although I ran badly at times, I also played badly. That's when it gets to me the most. 

New leaf 
    We'll see how long it lasts :)
  • edited October 2015
    I saw elsewhere a post that made me think a bit. It was about how you picture a poster you don't know in real life and how you give them a rough age.

I was thinking about some of the people who post on here and in the main I picture nearly all of them as being 30+
    I wonder if this is anywhere near to being correct? Maybe younger people don't post on forums much?
  • edited October 2015
    In shock news
    Derby were fantastic in the first half yesterday. That was by far the best we've played since the beginning of the year. Other than Hughes we have a fully fit squad now and have won 4 out of 5. 
    Hendrick who has been anonymous for us over recent months got his place back yesterday and was tremendous. Johnson had a good game and for me Thorne is the best player in the division. He could definitely be an England player in time.
    Lots of positives

In less shock news
    Penny was hammered after 2 glasses last night. Went for a curry first and then went across the road to the pub. Was a nice night.
    She's suffering for it this morning. Just gone back to bed :)
    Out again in a bit for Sunday lunch. Def gonna supersize it again.

Hospital on Tuesday morning. As from 9am tomorrow I can't eat anything and can only drink water. 
    Rubbish
  • edited October 2015
    I saw elsewhere a post that made me think a bit. It was about how you picture a poster you don't know in real life and how you give them a rough age. I was thinking about some of the people who post on here and in the main I picture nearly all of them as being 30+ I wonder if this is anywhere near to being correct? Maybe younger people don't post on forums much?
    Posted by Jac35
    ;)

Talon, I assume? Has to be 36, 37 tops.

I assume an age for everyone who posts.

Talon 36, Sir Gary 92, Dollie 96, hhyftr 13.

Am I right?
  • edited October 2015
    I was just going back to edit that.
    Maybe we just mainly assign ages on people that are close to our own
  • edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : ;) Talon, I assume? Has to be 36, 37 tops. I assume an age for everyone who posts. Talon 36, Sir Gary 92, Dollie 96, hhyftr 13. Am I right?
    Posted by Tikay10
  • edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : A friend of mine who doesn't know Timmy said to me the other day that I always having pops at him and don't seem to like him.  Couldn't be further from the truth really. He occasionally winds me up a bit but I know it's absolutely unintentional. Timmy is a great bloke and I really admire the way he goes about his game. I should learn from him. I noticed he had a rough start to the month. Not one single moan, he just kept plugging away. I'm sure he won't mind me saying this as he posts his results on his own diary. He quickly went £200+ down on the first night. Just kept on doing his thing and now he's £400+ in profit. He's always going to win over the long run and so just accepts the bad nights that will inevitably happen from time to time. I wish that I had the same attitude there. I saw Matt write the other day that when he has a bad night and a few bad beats it doesn't affect him in the slightest as he knows that he will always make money. I would hope to be in the same category. My long term results show that I make money. I need to be way less emotional about it all and take it in my stride more. I suppose the other night that although I ran badly at times, I also played badly. That's when it gets to me the most.  New leaf  We'll see how long it lasts :)
    Posted by Jac35
    Wow sick comments thank you sir. Yeah my liitle commnets was purely bad timing in the chat box which i need to improve on.
    Good luck at the tables for October mate.
  • edited October 2015
    Thanks for the tips fellas  I think I'm going to go with Narcos to start with. Saw a trailer for it the other day and it appealed. Great post Spanky. You're pretty close with your assumption. Another part of it is silly really. I hate embarrassing myself at the tables with stupid plays. The other night I couldn't believe some of the things that I was doing. I shouldn't care of course, it's all about the money in the end, but I do. I remember reading a post from a chap who posts on another forum 'Greekstein'. You may have read his stuff. He said he quite likes it if other players think he's terrible. As long as he was making the money. I wish I could feel like that. Question 1 - You're asking the wrong guy. My golf is mediocre at best these days. If Hendrik reads this then I'm sure he'll put you right. He's a proper player. Great bloke as well. Question 2 - I do and incredibly low paid, rubbishy, dead end job these days. The one plus point is that I do early shifts which allows me to do some stuff. Question 3 - You're asking the wrong guy. I'd suggest posting the same question on Timmys diary. He'll be able to assist on that ;)
    Posted by Jac35

Very nice of you PJ (tenner is in the post BTW)

Mr Spanky,
    Like most replies to strategy questions in Poker ''it depends...''

Many reasons for a hosel rocket, simply put the sweetspot of the golf club (centre of gravity in the clubhead) is not lining up with the COG of the ball, exactly the same as any miss strike. in the case of a shank the ball is being struck towards the heel......why?

Remember that the club is travelling on an inclined arc (often over simplified as 'the plane')

1. path of the sweetpot has changed direction ie the clubs arc has rotated, often an attempt to swing in a certain direction.
    2.POSS has got further away from its start point (ie inclined arc is now closer to the ball), potentially a change in balance intentional or unintentional, can also be a reaction to a lowering of the upper hub (head, shoulder complex)

These are two of the simpler causes, then we have bending of the arc through wrist motion in an attempt to manipulate the clubheads path.

There are more, but I aready feel like this is getting too complex.

Two quick things you can do (assuming you are right handed, reverse instructtions if you are a lefty);

Hold the club as normal, then take the right hand thumb and forefinger and little finger off the club.
    then take the left hand forefinger and little finger off the club.
    Hold on tight with the remaining fingers.
    Check your balance allows you to move in any direction, normally that would position weight somewhere in the middle of each foot, then put a little more weight on the lead foot (60%).

Make some gentle swing from about hip height through to hip height trying to make good contact (obviously because we dont have much power in the grip, the club may move a bit), if this feels VERY different to your normal motion, then you are likely manipulating the path with your wrists and hands too much in your normal swing, keep practising until you make solid contact.

Take your normal grip again and try to copy the motion that allows you to hit it solidly

Another little thing you can try is to place a glove under your lead arm and a cardboard box (or anything that will neither get damaged or damage you or the club, if you hit it :-)) just outside the ball, hit shots as normal, starting with short ones then working up to longer shots, trying to miss the box, and keep the glove under your lead arm (maximum length of swing would likely be roughly a 3/4 type swing with a relatively short follow through.

Remember these are just rough guidelines without having seen you swing, but they generally work for most.

Let us know how you get on (obviously if it bad feel free to stay quiet ;-))

Neil

• edited October 2015
    ^^^^^
    That's great advice sir

I've just played a few dyms. Not really as many running as i hoped there would be.
    The old me may have moaned a little about my last game. On the bubble i had aces and the shorts stack shoved.
    347 6 5
    Chop
    2 hands later and he shoved again and i found aces. No good v QJ though.

The new me just smiled and said "that's why we love this game" It obv worked as i then won a 40/60 and cashed anyway :)
    Won 3 out of 4 for a little 47 profit and now after exactly 100 games this month i'm finally in profit for £30. Ton of rakeback as well. Pretty happy with that after the first day when i was over £400 down after a couple of hours.

Still down slightly at Dyms for the month even though i've got 5.6% roi. Been losing the wrong games unfortunately. Playing the same players and so it's not that. Playing bunch of £50's and hardly winning any is not good.
    Enjoyed playing last night. Had a nice run in the £33 at 7.30. Came 10th for around £130 including heads.
    Right, got some keys to find. Mrs J couldn't find them this morning and apparently it's my fault
  • edited October 2015
    I regret my comments from last night and the way in which they portrays me. I don't approach life in a way in which I want everyone to like me. However my comments were weak and unjustifiable. As for my fiannces and living arrangements, I can assure you that they are very comfortable. 
  • edited October 2015
    I felt the need to step in here. Let's keep this diary on track and as the interesting read that it is.
  • edited October 2015
    I felt the need to step in here. Let's keep this diary on track and as the interesting read that it is.
    Posted by Sky_SamT
    Fair enough. Pity you had to delete the last few posts from Pat but nevermind.

Let's move on. We could discuss Derby and Leeds recent fortunes?
  • edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Fair enough. Pity you had to delete the last few posts from Pat but nevermind. Let's move on. We could discuss Derby and Leeds recent fortunes?
    Posted by Jac35
    I have the ability to close threads
  • edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Fair enough. Pity you had to delete the last few posts from Pat but nevermind. Let's move on. We could discuss Derby and Leeds recent fortunes?
    Posted by Jac35

i am old enought to remember when both of these teams were actually quite good.....
  • edited October 2015
    Ok We're not supposed to moan but this is stinging now. I must have lost with Aces aipf at least 10 times yesterday. I've just started today KK v AA first game AK v K10 2nd game KJ v K5 3rd game Flopped straight losd to fh on river in 4th game On bubble of 5th game 77 v JJ bvb On bubble of 6th game with blinds high A10dd v AJ On bubble of next game with blinds high A10hh v JJ Edit: nope, nothing chnging QQ V KK All month long. Be nice if this could end soon Edit: nope BvB on bubble 10's v j4. He hits J on river 
    Posted by Jac35
    Probably just variance evening out!
  • edited October 2015
    And this started happening just after you upset Sky_Sam? Maybe Jimi Riddle was right all along?

Where did the new inner calm/laugh it off Jac go?

Could you please save this stuff for BBV and get back to the golf/footy/harry/teeth anecdotes?
  • edited October 2015
    Come play the fiver turbo dym's with me and get your confidence back up!
  • edited October 2015
    And this started happening just after you upset Sky_Sam? Maybe Jimi Riddle was right all along? Where did the new inner calm/laugh it off Jac go? Could you please save this stuff for BBV and get back to the golf/footy/harry/teeth anecdotes?
    Posted by Phantom66
    Did deletes :)

Def Sams fault :)

Ok, you're right. No one wants the moaning. Went into full on rant mode. Having a break and going back later. Played well so no reason not to carry on. 

Golf - Go away to Portugal a week on Sunday. Can't wait and fortunately I've already got my euros :)

Football - Things might just be starting to come together. 13 out of 15 points since lowly Leeds got lucky. (Maybe Pat hates them as well. Might have something in common in with him afterall)

Harry - The last couple of weeks he seems to have come on a bunch. Learning new stuff every day. He's the best thing in my world.

Teeth - Hardly dare say but they've been OK for a while.

Happy Jac is back. No more ranting I promise :)