You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Get in the Hole! 2017 Season!

Comments

• edited June 2013
    So it's time for the 2nd major of the year! Bring it on!

Over the weekend I've been deliberating my picks for this week. I thought I had had finally settled on a trio of G-Mac, Donald and Garcia. However, this all changed when they were talking about the US Open on Sky during the delay in Austria.

They were talking about Tiger's chances and his disaster at Memorial. It turned out that he was still Top 5 that week in both driving accuracy and greens in regulation! Unbelievable! These two attributes are paramount this week. He will also be able use an iron off the tee a lot this week, which will back up these attributes.

After doing so well these last few weeks bettingwise, I've decided to re-invest some of the profits and go BIG on Tiger.

Tiger Woods 50pts Win @ 11/2

This will be my only bet for the week, and hopefully Tiger will give me a good sweat.

I expect a lot of people to pick G-Mac this week, he ticks all the boxes and leads the whole tour in scrambling. Getting the ball up and down 70% of the time.

But for me it's all about TIGER!

MASH POTATO
  • edited June 2013
    Are you going to have a go on the European tour this week? I find these small events easier to call a winner than the majors!
  • edited June 2013
    I won't be betting on the European event, will return next week to make it 3 outta 3 :D
  • edited June 2013
    I haven't given the US.Open that much research as it's a course that has pretty much no course form. The last time it was used was 2009 for the Walker Cup, and that's 4 years ago now!

I've gone with 3 main bets and then 3 outsiders... I will pick some on the European tour event later when the bookies wake up, I will probs put them all in doubles as well :-S. (Could get expensive)

G-Mac - 25/1 - Merion requires straight hitting as it is very tee lined, you don't get any better than Graeme. (He isn't showing on the PGA tour stats, but he would be no.1)

Charl Schwartzel - 33/1 - Probably the most consistent player on any tour all year and very much over looked. Previous major winner, and multiple time regular tour winner.

Henrik Stenson - 70/1 - Extremely good stats this year, looks like he is back to his best, a win is only around the corner for him and 70/1 would be a great time to get it!

Freddie Jac - 110/1 - I do like Freddie as you all know, and I probably back him a little too much, but he again had a great start to the year, gone a little quiet recently, but always seems to pop up with his smiling face in the big events. He also seems to have sorted his 'wild' reputation out, and these narrow courses actually seem to be where he is performing best.

Michael Thompson - 150/1 - 2nd in the US Open last year, although of course it was a different course. Already won this year and 2 other top 10's. All 4 of the 'bigger' events this year (WGC Cadillac, Masters, Players and Memorial he has made the CUT, with the WGC and Memorial both T8). He is my main 'outside' pick this week.

Jordan Speith - 150/1 - Very consistent considering technically this isn't even his rookie season as he isn't a PGA tour member yet. This is 1 of those names very much overlooked and considering he is 150/1, regular watchers of the PGA tour wouldn't be surprised to see him top 10.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! (US OPEN) Year Profit: +564.56pts:
    I haven't given the US.Open that much research as it's a course that has pretty much no course form. The last time it was used was 2009 for the Walker Cup, and that's 4 years ago now! I've gone with 3 main bets and then 3 outsiders... I will pick some on the European tour event later when the bookies wake up, I will probs put them all in doubles as well :-S. (Could get expensive) G-Mac - 25/1 - Merion requires straight hitting as it is very tee lined, you don't get any better than Graeme. (He isn't showing on the PGA tour stats, but he would be no.1) Charl Schwartzel - 33/1 - Probably the most consistent player on any tour all year and very much over looked. Previous major winner, and multiple time regular tour winner. Henrik Stenson - 70/1 - Extremely good stats this year, looks like he is back to his best, a win is only around the corner for him and 70/1 would be a great time to get it! Freddie Jac - 110/1 - I do like Freddie as you all know, and I probably back him a little too much, but he again had a great start to the year, gone a little quiet recently, but always seems to pop up with his smiling face in the big events. He also seems to have sorted his 'wild' reputation out, and these narrow courses actually seem to be where he is performing best. Michael Thompson - 150/1 - 2nd in the US Open last year, although of course it was a different course. Already won this year and 2 other top 10's. All 4 of the 'bigger' events this year (WGC Cadillac, Masters, Players and Memorial he has made the CUT, with the WGC and Memorial both T8). He is my main 'outside' pick this week. Jordan Speith - 150/1 - Very consistent considering technically this isn't even his rookie season as he isn't a PGA tour member yet. This is 1 of those names very much overlooked and considering he is 150/1, regular watchers of the PGA tour wouldn't be surprised to see him top 10.
    Posted by FlashFlush

^^^ I agree mate!

Gl though, like your picks.
  • edited June 2013
    Just putting this one out there... The European tour standard this week is terrible, nearly all challenge tour players but Mark Tullo is 45/1 !!!!!

That's printing money surely..??
  • edited June 2013
    I'm never backing Tullo again. He's a final round choker.

Dyson is playing well, you're prob best off going with him.

I disagree that the standard is terrible, I agree there's no big names. But I doubt Tullo is significantly better than the rest (cue him winning by 10 shots now :P)
  • edited June 2013
    haven't decided on my final us open picks yet but so far those being considered are:

Mickelson              20/1
    Kuchar                  20/1
    schwartzel             33/1
    mannersero           55/1
    horschel                80/1
    T clark                   80/1
    Molinari               100/1

Help me decide who to kick off my team lol looking to cut it down to 3 or 4. Might just go big (well big for me) on mickelson and kuchar. looking to cut it down to 4.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! (US OPEN) Year Profit: +564.56pts:
    I'm never backing Tullo again. He's a final round choker. Dyson is playing well, you're prob best off going with him. I disagree that the standard is terrible, I agree there's no big names. But I doubt Tullo is significantly better than the rest (cue him winning by 10 shots now :P)
    Posted by splashies
    Skybet have opened at 25/1 and Bet365 have already cut him to 40/1. Wish I had a 365 account.. I expect everyone to be around 25/1 by the start, I still think 45/1 was/is a steal, even if its just an e/w place.
  • edited June 2013
    some nice picks for you guys over last few weeks well done

very happy to hear that Kyle Stanley has squeaked into the field given ealrier withdrawels and him now in top 60 so for me his name might be written on it and has been is terrific form of late. gone for outsiders as a tough US open will surely as always throw up some surprises 

1st round leader all £5 e/w 
     BO VAN PELT 80/1  
     KYLE STANLEY 100/1 
     DUSTIN JOHNSON 50/1
     SHAWN STEFANI 125/1
     NICHOLAS THOMPSON 250/1 
     RORY SABBATINI 125/1 

Outright

NICK WATNEY 80/1  £5 E/W
    KYLE STANLEY 150/1 £20 E/W
    COLSAERTS 150 /1 £5 E/W 
    DUSTIN JOHNSON 45/1 £10 E/W

• edited June 2013
    Just spotted a bet that looks good value to me:

Marc leishman 1st round leader 125/1

In his 6 tournaments from the masters onwards he has recorded 3 66s and a 67 in his 1st rounds. In the players he shot a 72 on his 1st round but followed it up with a 66 in the 2nd.

His finishing positions for first rounds have been 1, T2, T8 and T9. In his Players Champ 2nd round he was T2 for the round and for his final round at memorial he was T2 for the round.

He's 29th overall for his 1st round scoring average for 2013 and when you consider he didn't have a great start to the year for his first rounds you can see how he's scored well recently to get into top 30.

Only bad sign is that at memorial he opened with a 74 lol although his 4th round was the joint 2nd lowest of the day.

Anyway thought I'd share.
  • edited June 2013
    PP have finally put their prices on, and all they can offer on Tullo is 33/1 (Still better than Sky) and TBF, 33/1 is now the best you can get with anyone. So I have just gone for him £5 e/w and 50p doubles with all 6 of my US Open picks... Come on Tullo and Speith!! 
  • edited June 2013
    PP have finally put their prices on, and all they can offer on Tullo is 33/1 (Still better than Sky) and TBF, 33/1 is now the best you can get with anyone. So I have just gone for him £5 e/w and 50p doubles with all 6 of my US Open picks... Come on Tullo and Speith!! 
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Why do you lot fancy tullo so much? I don't know much about him.
  • edited June 2013
    US open picks done:

Outrights

Mickelson 23/1 £5 ew
    In good form and the shorter course might mean he doesn't have to get the big stick out as much (160th for driving accuracy). The last few holes are apparently very tough and I'd fancy mickelson to get up and down from tricky situations more than most.

Edit: just looking at the course and noticed a good few holes seem to favour the right to left shot shape which tends to b easier for left handers. This includes the drivable par 4 10th.

Schwartzel 33/1 £2 ew
    Also in good form - recorded 6 top 10's in his 12 starts this year and only 3 times out of the top 30. Consistently good in majors in 2010 and 2011 (only once out of the top 20 where he finished t30). Hoping 2013 was just an off year and he has a real go at this one.

Stricker 40/1 £2 ew
    Again going with stricker mainly due to the shorter yardage at merion. Stricker is 13th for driving accuracy but 142nd for distance. Stricker's par 5 performance is also a weakness for him (ranked 157th for par 5's compared to 6th and 16th for par 3's and 4's). There's only two par 5's at merion so this can only help him. Saying that he may be at a disadvantage playing some of the longer par 3's compared to some of the big hitters. He hasn't been in great form in his last 3 tournaments but hasn't played since the players and hoping the rest well help him rediscover his pre masters form.

First Round Leader Bets

Leishman 125/1 - reasons stated in previous post.
    Tim Clark   66/1 - similar reasons to stricker but don't feel he could actualy win the whole thing
    Molinari     80/1 - great ball striker and if he can get the putter working for him he could go low. 80/1 great odds for his calibre as well imo. downside - never shot less than 74 in all 4 first rounds on pga tour he has played this year.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! (US OPEN) Year Profit: +564.56pts : Why do you lot fancy tullo so much? I don't know much about him.
    Posted by jdsallstar
    Start of the season he was featuring fairly reguarly, main highlight was T5 in the African Open. I think he either started in the lead on that Sunday or very close but shot a 71. He had another couple of top 30's since then which again would of been a lot better if he didn't have a poor Sunday in both of them (one was a 77 after shooting 67,67,66).

The last co-sanctioned event with the challenge tour was Maderia Islands where he came T2.

With his regular starts on the European tour and the fact he has gained a lot of experience this season he should feel a lot more relaxed in a weak field.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! (US OPEN) Year Profit: +564.56pts : Start of the season he was featuring fairly reguarly, main highlight was T5 in the African Open. I think he either started in the lead on that Sunday or very close but shot a 71. He had another couple of top 30's since then which again would of been a lot better if he didn't have a poor Sunday in both of them (one was a 77 after shooting 67,67,66). The last co-sanctioned event with the challenge tour was Maderia Islands where he came T2. With his regular starts on the European tour and the fact he has gained a lot of experience this season he should feel a lot more relaxed in a weak field.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Sold lol I'll put him in a double with mickelson!
  • edited June 2013
    Ok I've decided to have a punt on the Saint-Omer event.

I'm going to have a punt on Shiv Kapur. He managed a T10 last week in Austria with 4 solid rounds. Already has a win to his name this season on the Challenge Tour.

Shiv Kapur 2pts e/w @ 60/1

0.5pte/w Double (Kapur + Woods)

Am I the only forum reg on Woods this week?
  • edited June 2013
    Ok I've decided to have a punt on the Saint-Omer event. I'm going to have a punt on Shiv Kapur. He managed a T10 last week in Austria with 4 solid rounds. Already has a win to his name this season on the Challenge Tour. Shiv Kapur 2pts e/w @ 60/1 0.5pte/w Double (Kapur + Woods) Am I the only forum reg on Woods this week?
    Posted by splashies
    yeah I think so. odds are just to low for me but the fact he can get away with hitting his long irons off a lot of tees has to give him a great chance.

Mickelsons the man for this one though!!! saying that normally when I put money on mickelson he bombs out of the tournament and misses the cut lol
  • edited June 2013
    Us Open.

Graeme McDowell 22/1 £9.89 win
    Jim Furyk 40/1 £5.44 win
    Webb Simpson 50/1 £4.35 win
    Jason Dufner 60/1 £3.69 win
    Padraigh Harrington 90/1 £2.42 win
    Michael Thompson 125/1 £1.74 win
    David Toms 150/1 £1.45 win
    John Peterson 200/1 £1.09 win

Staked £30/01

Returns if any one wins between £218.98 and £227.47

Should get a good run for your money!

Get on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited June 2013
    US Open 1st Round leader.

Graema McDowell 33/1 £2
    Jim Furyk 40/1 £1.50
    Webb Simpson 50/1 £1.50
    Jason Dufner 55/1 £1.50
    Padraig Harrington 66/1 £1
    Michael Thompson 80/1 £1
    David Toms 110/1 £1
    John Peterson 150/1 £1

Staked £10.50

Returns if any one is 1st Round leader  Between £61.50 and £151

Get On !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited June 2013
    I'm very surprised that NON of the experts on here, or in the written press have given my main fancy for this week a mention. Brandt Snedeker. He's very straight off the tee, and deadly on fast greens. At 35/1 with Paddy, he's excellent value. And betting via mobile, Paddy are offering place terms 1/4 odds the 1st 7. That's 8.75/1 a top 7 finish, get on!!! I'm also chipping in with Stricker @ 50/1 with Lads. Good luck everyone. 
  • edited June 2013
    as he was on my initial shortlist but didnt make way into staking plan, ive had change of heart after reading Steve Bamfords comments re RYAN MOORE 1st round leader ill have a fiver e/w on him for that too at 100/1, though still dont think he'll be up to winning the whole thing (top 10 possible)
  • edited June 2013
    Gone for Manessero and Oosthuizen myself !     25 ew on both.

GL ALL
  • edited June 2013
    I'm very surprised that NON of the experts on here, or in the written press have given my main fancy for this week a mention. Brandt Snedeker. He's very straight off the tee, and deadly on fast greens. At 35/1 with Paddy, he's excellent value. And betting via mobile, Paddy are offering place terms 1/4 odds the 1st 7. That's 8.75/1 a top 7 finish, get on!!! I'm also chipping in with Stricker @ 50/1 with Lads. Good luck everyone. 
    Posted by joesman1
    Normally I'd be all over him this week, but coming off 2 missed CUTS, when let's face it, last weeks event wasn't exactly star studded, puts me off a fair bit!
  • edited June 2013
    Just noticed one player who nobody has mentioned, and almost nobody on other tipping pages. He seems to get at least 1 win every season, and hasn't had one yet this year. He is very straight off the tee, although may lack the length for the longer holes. He is already a major winner and is 80/1! ... Zach Johnson!
  • edited June 2013
    Just noticed one player who nobody has mentioned, and almost nobody on other tipping pages. He seems to get at least 1 win every season, and hasn't had one yet this year. He is very straight off the tee, although may lack the length for the longer holes. He is already a major winner and is 80/1! ... Zach Johnson!
    Posted by FlashFlush
    He's threatened a few times to be in contention to win and getting off to good starts but has a bad weekend or throws in a bad round or two. Just not sure he has the consistency at the moment to put four rounds together to actually win it.

Having just looked at his stats I'm tempted to throw him into my first round leader bets at 66/1. He's had some good starts at some good courses i.e. T2 at the players, T5 at Wells Fargo and T10 at the Masters for his first round.
  • edited June 2013
    Gone for course form what little there is of it with Chappell and Fowler.

Also Mickelson and Manassero
  • edited June 2013
    F.U Mark Tullo!
  • edited June 2013
    Back for another major with some bets - GL everyone

Back (Bet For)OddsStakeProfit
    Lee Westwood40£3.00£117.00

Francesco Molinari140£3.50£486.50

Kyle Stanley140£2.00£278.00

Jason Dufner70£2.50£172.50

Jim Furyk60£2.00£118.00
  • edited June 2013
    F.U Mark Tullo!
    Posted by FlashFlush

Haha that made me laugh out loud. Can feel the anger lol