You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Get in the Hole! 2017 Season!

Comments

• edited June 2013
    havnt had a bet this weekend after all the fun and games of the US open. i have however been trying to whittle down the field for the upcoming Open Championship @ Muirfield and after dropping COLSAERTS and GRACE out of a top 6 and wanting 4 maximum runner at decent e/w stakes each ive come up with the following shortlist which may still be subject to change: 

MARTIN LAIRD 100/1
    MATTEO MANNESSERO 80/1
    THOMAS AIKEN 150/1
    G MAC 33/1 

can anyone put me off any of the above? I just have a feeling in my bones THOMAS AIKEN will go well, has posted 2 previous decent finishes in Open championships past few years and has also won on tour this year. 

all 4 have a victory to their name this year and in Steve Bamfords preview he states that is an important stat. do any of the other tour winners this season catch your eye? or any main form players ive left out? ernie is a previous winner at Muirfield and has clearly shown his form credentials the past week both by T5 last Sunday  and winning today, does anyone fancy him to go 2 in a row? 

the 'big easy' won for me last year to kick start a great summer of golf betting when i coulnt miss for about a month and a half. havnt even hit the crossbar since. will any of these picks change that?! 

• edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! (BMW International + Travelers Championship) Year Profit: +689.56pts:
    havnt had a bet this weekend after all the fun and games of the US open. i have however been trying to whittle down the field for the upcoming Open Championship @ Muirfield and after dropping COLSAERTS and GRACE out of a top 6 and wanting 4 maximum runner at decent e/w stakes each ive come up with the following shortlist which may still be subject to change:  MARTIN LAIRD 100/1 MATTEO MANNESSERO 80/1 THOMAS AIKEN 150/1 G MAC 33/1  can anyone put me off any of the above? I just have a feeling in my bones THOMAS AIKEN will go well, has posted 2 previous decent finishes in Open championships past few years and has also won on tour this year.  all 4 have a victory to their name this year and in Steve Bamfords preview he states that is an important stat. do any of the other tour winners this season catch your eye? or any main form players ive left out? ernie is a previous winner at Muirfield and has clearly shown his form credentials the past week both by T5 last Sunday  and winning today, does anyone fancy him to go 2 in a row?  the 'big easy' won for me last year to kick start a great summer of golf betting when i coulnt miss for about a month and a half. havnt even hit the crossbar since. will any of these picks change that?! 
    Posted by BELL_POKER
    I picked out Oosthuizen at the start of the season, I've been putting a bit on through the year. His form is pretty dire though so not so sure, but I'm hoping he turns it all round for that week!
  • edited June 2013
    I wouldn't try and put anyone off their own picks.

I will always be backing GMac in a major and on a links course, that said this must be the first year for a while if not ever that he comes to The Open having missed the cut in the first two majors.

I like Mannessero especially at 80/1, he's a special talent and I believe he already has some decent links form in his young career.

If having a victory in 2013 really is an important stat, I might be struggling with my shortlist, I'll be looking at Mikko Illonen if he qualifies and the enigma that is Dustin Jonson.

'Form' players I like the look of at the moment are Hunter Mahan, Rickie Fowler, Martin Kaymer and Henrik Stenson, though I admit interpretation of form is open for dispute.

Oh and I must have half a dozen 3 figure picks, headed by Danny Willett, if he proves his fitness over the next few weeks, I can't see the 250/1 on offer at the moment lasting for long.

• edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! (BMW International + Travelers Championship) Year Profit: +689.56pts:
    I wouldn't try and put anyone off their own picks. I will always be backing GMac in a major and on a links course, that said this must be the first year for a while if not ever that he comes to The Open having missed the cut in the first two majors. I like Mannessero especially at 80/1, he's a special talent and I believe he already has some decent links form in his young career. If having a victory in 2013 really is an important stat, I might be struggling with my shortlist, I'll be looking at Mikko Illonen if he qualifies and the enigma that is Dustin Jonson. 'Form' players I like the look of at the moment are Hunter Mahan, Rickie Fowler, Martin Kaymer and Henrik Stenson, though I admit interpretation of form is open for dispute. Oh and I must have half a dozen 3 figure picks, headed by Danny Willett, if he proves his fitness over the next few weeks, I can't see the 250/1 on offer at the moment lasting for long.
    Posted by TheDart
    yeah hes 80's in the magic sign, most go around 66/1 and hes as short as 50/1 across the board. thought it was decent value myself, though am going to rush to make sure i take avail of that price as if he goes 50/1 everywhere i feel value has been taken from the punt 
  • edited June 2013
    On the topic of The Open, I see SkyBet have a market for the qualifying event at Sunningdale tomorrow.

There's possibly some value there, with Graham Storm at 50/1 who's won the qualifier twice in the last 4 years.

I like the look of Lee Slattery at 50/1, he got through last year and maybe his weekend off will help him qualify for The Open.

If Matthew Baldwin gets back in time, he also got through qualifying last year so maybe at 40/1 he can repay me for his collapse today?

I'll see how DeLaet finishes tonight before placing any bets or not.
  • edited June 2013
    Still coming to terms with that having backed Rose for the Race To Dubai, I not only didn't back him last week, I also left him out of my Fantasy Team.... What a dic@!!! This week I'm on the horse after it's bolted... Luiten @ 28/1 for the BMW.... I'm plumping for Simpson in the USA.... And an ew double the pair. Gl everyone
    Posted by joesman1
    It's just not happening for me at the min. Luiten somehow managed to drop FIVE shots at the same hole over the w/e. Just bogey bogey would have guaranteed a top 5 finish. As for Simpson.... He was just about fav with 2 holes to play fri night, but went bogey bogey. Played like a t@at on Saturday, then stormed back today to just miss out on the place money. Anyone for tennis??
  • edited June 2013
    Ffs..... Splashies kept his US Open Team for this week AND still beat my sorry a@@!!! Lol.....
  • edited June 2013
    looooooooooool
  • edited June 2013
    Well 3rd in the end, all part of the learning curve for DeLaet, surely can't be long before he wins.

A place for Joesman with Simpson by my reckoning.
  • edited June 2013
    Well 3rd in the end, all part of the learning curve for DeLaet, surely can't be long before he wins. A place for Joesman with Simpson by my reckoning.
    Posted by TheDart

I watched him with interest over the last few holes Mr Dart.... He defo struggled on the greens when the pressure was on, til he couldn't possibly win, then stiffed it on the 18th. 
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! (BMW International + Travelers Championship) Year Profit: +689.56pts : I watched him with interest over the last few holes Mr Dart.... He defo struggled on the greens when the pressure was on, til he couldn't possibly win, then stiffed it on the 18th. 
    Posted by joesman1
    Yeah sitting here thinking it over now and think the pressure got to him on the back 9, the five footer for birdie on 15 was a big miss, he wasn't the only one though and it was the first time he's been in the last group.

Not sure if I should feel disappointed or pleased with the place.

It's all good experience, though I guess he will be nearer to 50/1 than 100/1 next time out.

I still like his game and maybe I can feel a few ante post bets coming up for the PGA Championship.
  • edited June 2013
    Got to be Shane Lowry this week surely? Closed out with a 65 yesterday and it's his home course...
  • edited June 2013
    Irish Open

Brett Rumford 2pts e/w @ 66/1
    Rafa Cabrero-Bello 2pts e/w @ 100/1

AT&T

Rickie Fowler 2pts e/w @ 28/1
    Bo Van Pelt 2pts e/w @ 40/1

4 0.5pt e/w Doubles
  • edited June 2013
    I did consider Lowry, but not liking the price Flash. Think the 2 I've gone for represent much better value.
  • edited June 2013
    Gone with a different approach this week. Gone for 2 shorter priced people who IMO are the favourites for the event, then to mix it up I've added one longer price to them aiming at just a place really.

Irish Open

Shane Lowry 25/1 - Home venue, has had a good season so far and will be right up for this afer his 65 on Sunday

Paddy Harrington 18/1 - Really threatening to win over on the PGA tour, and this is a weaker field than he is beating over there. Plus of course it's in Ireland!

Paul Waring - 66/1 - Very good form at the moment, came close at the weekend without ever really having the pressure on him to win, so should be pumped for this.

AT&T

Jason Day 16/1 - Very impressive at the US Open and he is a class above the rest here I feel

Bo Van Pelt - 40/1 - Massively overpriced this week, showing good form and has course form to go with it.

Bryce Molder 125/1 - Got some course history, bit of a punt really.

Also got them all in e/w's @ different values.

• edited June 2013
    Well, Just came on to post my picks for this week and can't believe what I've just read!

My first bet in the Irish Open was Rafa Carbrera-Bello at 80/1, Splashies is on him at 100/1!

My first bet in the AT&T was Bo Van Pelt at 40/1, both Splashies and Flash are on him!

Next bet and third week running for me is Rickie Fowler 28/1, Splashies is on him as well!

and then to cap it all off, Flash is only on my 150/1 tip from last week, Bryce Molder!!!

I'll be back with my full list of picks, when I've composed myself.

• edited June 2013
    Irish Open

Rory and Gmac are the obvious class in the field but I can't back them at 8/1 and 14/1 respectively. Same applies for form horse and winner of this event last time it was held here, Thomas Bjorn at 16/1 is mean.

Too many question marks over Padraig Harrington for my liking and easily swerved at 18/1. I would have been on local boy Shane Lowry at 40/1, but not the 25/1 on offer, though I'll keep an eye on him in running.

So, looking for good place bets this week, at 1/4 odds first 6, with a win being a bonus.

Victor Dubuisson - 66/1, been playing very well, was well placed after day one last week, but came a cropper too many times on the risk / reward holes, a more straight forward course this week should hopefully suit Victor.

Rafa Cabrera-Bello - 80/1, After a quiet few weeks, Rafa tends to find a bit of form one week and then the following week BOOM top 5. He was 3 missed cuts, 44th, 49th and 51st in the previous 6 weeks, but last week showed a nice return to some kind of form with a tied 26th, came 2nd in this event last year though last years was on the links course of Portrush, Rafa's all-round game is good enough to win anywhere when's he's on form.

Damien McGrane - 100/1, Not one of the big Irish names, but still a top player on his day. Top 20 last time this event was played here and finished tied 14th in his last two outings this season. His putting stats are better than they have ever been and he is ranked 19th on tour for putts per round. Could go well at home and under the radar.

• edited June 2013
    I'm not liking the fact Flash has beaten me to Lowry. I had him in my fantasy team last week so was obv keeping an eye on him, and I always had him on my mind for this week. But I won't destroy your chances by putting him up. Harrington was gonna be my 2nd choice.... I'm not deserting him though, I think he's a major player this week. Mclroy just doesn't like wind, rain, and links. McDowell has lost his game for now. So for me, Padraig should be the fav. I'll post my back up/s later on. 
  • edited June 2013

AT & T

Rickie Fowler 28/1
    , playing very well at the moment and is a class act, frustratingly has been throwing in one bad round with 3 top notch rounds, if he brings consistency for 4 days, he'll lap the field this week and at 28/1 still offers ew value.

Bo Van Pelt 40/1,after a slow start to the season, he seems to getting into his stride, made a significant jump in some of the putting stats last week and has very good course form here, 40/1 looks very generous!

Chris Stroud 80/1, If it wasn't for the squirrels he would have won last week, he did nothing wrong in defeat and looked very impressive when the pressure was on. He will be thinking if Ken Duke can do it, I can do it and must fancy his chances this week, especially as he was tied 6th in 2011.

Almost last but not least I have to back Graham DeLaet, I'm on at 40/1, I believe he's getting better and stronger and at the right end of a learning curve, though I note he's not anyone's pick this week (or any other week) and sense there are questions over his putting and temperment from some quarters.

Finally thanks partly to my winnings from Joesman dog, I've allowed myself the sentimental luxury of a DeLaet double with Danny Willett at 45/1.

Good Luck All!!!

• edited June 2013
    i too am reluctant to back Lowry for the outright at the price, but hope he does well regardless. Also put off Rumford by fact he wasnt too hot at Carlton House on last visit, though obviously has come on alot since then and in form of his life. But same applies to 9th at the venue in 2005 RICHARD STERNE who has had a magnificent season, and am hoping he can get off to a flyer in the first round market at a generous 50/1. 

Doubled him with the BO-STER in the States 1st round 40/1 and both e/w singles in same market, leaving any outright bets to in running only. 

STERNE 1ST ROUND IRISH OPEN  50/1  £10 E/W
    VAN PELT 1ST ROUND AT & T NATIONAL £10 E/W

£5 E/W DOUBLE 
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! (Irish Open + AT&T) Year Profit: +669.56pts:
    i too am reluctant to back Lowry for the outright at the price, but hope he does well regardless. Also put off Rumford by fact he wasnt too hot at Carlton House on last visit, though obviously has come on alot since then and in form of his life. But same applies to 9th at the venue in 2005 RICHARD STERNE who has had a magnificent season, and am hoping he can get off to a flyer in the first round market at a generous 50/1.  Doubled him with the BO-STER in the States 1st round 40/1 and both e/w singles in same market, leaving any outright bets to in running only.  STERNE 1ST ROUND IRISH OPEN  50/1  £10 E/W VAN PELT 1ST ROUND AT & T NATIONAL £10 E/W £5 E/W DOUBLE 
    Posted by BELL_POKER
    How come you use the 1st round market so much? Like others have said before, it's so hard to get the winner going on just 1 round, and a lot of the time there is a tie at the top. You know if you're betting on outright 72 holes you will only get 1 winner because of the play-offs, but even picking a 1st round leader can get watered down so much.
  • edited June 2013

I backed Bryce Molder at 150/1 last week and confess I wasn't goint to back him this week, but with Flash picking Molder this week, I felt obliged to have a small dabble myself.

I've doubled him with Damien McGrane at 150/1, I was already on McGrane at 100/1, which was best price at the time, but I'm not letting the bookies beat me, not sure why he is so big, perhaps someone in the know, saw my picks and decided it was safe to push McGrane out to 150/1 ;)

In a total Damien McGrane love in, I've backed him at 22/1 ew 1/4 odds first 3 for top Irishman.

With the leading 3, Rory, GMac and Padraig all priced 9/2 or less and all with indifferent form, I think Lowry and even Sean Thornton could be bigger threats and see McGrane as having a great chance of making top 3.

• edited June 2013
    All of Justin Rose's odds have disappeared so looks like he has WD, good job we got in early, because all the shorter priced players have been slashed :-)
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! (Irish Open + AT&T) Year Profit: +669.56pts:
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! (Irish Open + AT&T) Year Profit: +669.56pts : How come you use the 1st round market so much? Like others have said before, it's so hard to get the winner going on just 1 round, and a lot of the time there is a tie at the top. You know if you're betting on outright 72 holes you will only get 1 winner because of the play-offs, but even picking a 1st round leader can get watered down so much.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Mr Bell likes his golf bets to mirror his sex life..... Why go for the long haul, when u can have a wham bam thank u mam bet!!
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! (Irish Open + AT&T) Year Profit: +669.56pts : Mr Bell likes his golf bets to mirror his sex life..... Why go for the long haul, when u can have a wham bam thank u mam bet!!
    Posted by joesman1
    I've been on Facebook too long, I just mentally clicked 'like' on this!
  • edited June 2013
    value i guess. why do you back a guy at 20/1 for outright when in theory and reality youll probs still get the same price on last few holes on a sunday if a few off lead and probably at least double the price the next day if not a hot start. whereas if the guy youve backed has a great start then hell be short in the betting after day 1 but still has the mountain to climb for next 3 days. with first round u can get this side wrapped up early doors if successful on the thursday, and if not yet at the top table after 18 holes but you still want to get inolved for the outright market then you can do so at a bigger price, albeit forfeiting at least a place so i do majority of outright in running and have a seperate sweat on the thursday. thats why i like it 

• edited June 2013
    justin rose withdrew yesterday it was on sky sports news 
  • edited June 2013
    Just seen that Colin Montgomerie makes his debut on the Champions Tour this week, he's a best priced 33/1.

It will be interesting to see how he gets on.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! (Irish Open + AT&T) Year Profit: +669.56pts : Mr Bell likes his golf bets to mirror his sex life..... Why go for the long haul, when u can have a wham bam thank u mam bet!!
    Posted by joesman1
     lol or 2 pumps and a squirt as we say in Belfast. i can assure you i am a much more caring and sensual lover than that, and if you dont believe me you can ask my partner but first you'll need to blow her up (not in the Belfast sense this time thankfully......) 
  • edited June 2013

flat out with work and my wee fellas birthday so only got round to looking at my bets there now.

Last week was a tale of two tours had bjorn and noren both placing on the euro tour and duffner and colesarts both missing the cut on the pga tour so made a small return on my bets.

In both this weeks tournaments I can't say I really fancy anyone which normally means I shouldn't bet but hey ho lol overall thoughts:

Irish open - gmac and mcilroy are the favourites but I cant see them winning. There's the media attention they'll get, their indifferent form at present and their short odds make them unbackable. Also got a feeling gmac performs better when he's an underdog and can sneak under the radar somewhat. harringtons too unpredictable but its easy to see why so many have went with lowry. Assuming 1 of the top 5 don't win I think you could make an argument for about 20 different players so I think this one is wide open.

AT&T - again the top 6 all priced 25/1 or less doesn't appeal to me especially again as I don't have any strong reasons to really go for any of them. I can think of too many reasons not to fancy each of them. I was tempted by delaet (he has to win sooner or later given his form) but again 33/1 didn't really encourage me given the doubts regarding his ability to finish a tournament off.

Based on the above I've went for those I see more value in. Probably all fall flat on their faces by end of play Thursday.

Irish Open

Peter Uihlein     45/1     in decent form with a finishes of 1, T8, T10, T12 and T21 in his last 6 tournaments. t12 was at wentworth suggesting uk climate isn't any major problem for him.

Richard Sterne   45/1  only missed 1 cut in last 15 starts and had a previous good result here in 2006 (T9).

AT&T

Marc Leishman  66/1  what graham delaet is to the dart Marc Leishman is to me lol I think he's got a reasonably solid game but just needs more consistency to contend more often.

Ryan Palmer   40/1 finished a credible t15 in this event last year despite carding two 74 rounds. T5 at the players and T4 at st judes in recent weeks encourages me to have a punt on him.

Also did some first round leaders after flash talked about them lol all ew doubles:

Irish open

Simon Dyson 80/1
    Robert Rock 80/1

Both struggling this year and just hoping 1 of them will find a bit of form playing a course under uk conditions

AT&T

Charles Howell 50/1
    Ricky Barnes 100/1

I seem to notice barnes throwing in the occasional very low round and howell seems to have a decent record here. Nearly put howell in my outright bet but he always seems to waste any opportunity he has to push on any time I see him close to contention after rounds 1 and 2.

Good luck to everyone on their bets this week as always!!!!