You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Get in the Hole! 2017 Season!

Comments

• edited May 2013
    Just noticed Delaet in the top 5 coming to the end of the 1st round... Run bad goes on... and on.... and on.....
  • edited May 2013
    had a sneaky fiver e/w on tommy 2 gloves when 3 under at a very decent 100/1 in magic sign in running, now minus 5 and half the price. goes well at colonial and happy that he'll give me a run. 
  • edited May 2013
    Hope Darty is on GDL this week.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! (BMW PGA + Crowne Plaza) Year Profit: -95.94pts:
    Just noticed Delaet in the top 5 coming to the end of the 1st round... Run bad goes on... and on.... and on.....
    Posted by joesman1
    Continuing the run bad theme.. I take u back to Monday when I put up Molinari as my main bet..... Then fast forward to Weds when I looked at the weather forecast and I halved my stake on him and added it to Rose who had the early start. Run bad goes on........ and on........ and on still......
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! (BMW PGA + Crowne Plaza) Year Profit: -95.94pts:
    Weather Warning!!..... Tomorrows late starters are going to be playing in a storm/gales.... I'm changing most of my fantasy golfers to early starters and reducing my stake on Molinari. Gonna have Rose 11/1 win only as my main bet now, backed up by Noren ew @ 66/1, and Molinari (can't dessert him) ew @ 40/1. And a small bet on Waring ew @ 225/1. Lastly an ew bet on Noren 1st round leader @ 60/1.
    Posted by joesman1
    Part of me wants him to nose dive lol.
  • edited May 2013
    10pts Lee Westwood @ 7/2. 
  • edited May 2013
    10pts Lee Westwood @ 7/2. 
    Posted by splashies
    Think u could stop a hurricane at the min Splashies mate. 
  • edited May 2013
    Well thats gotta be my worst ever week on the fantasy front. Timmmmmbeeeeerrrrrrrr!!!
  • edited May 2013
    Well thats gotta be my worst ever week on the fantasy front. Timmmmmbeeeeerrrrrrrr!!!
    Posted by joesman1
    I think a lot of people will of struggled this wek TBF. I only had 2 in the top 10 (Ernie and Westy) Not sure many would of had Mannasero considering his current form.

I managed to get a small return from Ernie as it was paying top 6!

Very little chance of Hoffman getting anything for me in America though, just cheering on Zach for my fantast team on there.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! (BMW PGA + Crowne Plaza) Year Profit: -95.94pts : Think u could stop a hurricane at the min Splashies mate. 
    Posted by joesman1
    lol

• edited May 2013
    This weeks picks are as follows....

The Memorial

Matt Kuchar 2pts e/w @ 25/1
    Matt Every 2pts e/w @ 125/1

Nordea Masters

Bernd Weisberger 2pts e/w @ 30/1
    Mikko Ilonen 2pts e/w @ 40/1

4 x 0.5pt e/w Doubles
  • edited May 2013
    With Graham DeLaet's run at the Crowne Plaza last week, I'm glad I wasn't able to post, I'd have only embarrassed myself!

Think last week was a week for the bookies, we'd better try harder this week.

It's been a disastrous 2 weeks for me in the European fantasy comp, I'm surprised I'm still top 200, though only just.

I've struggled with the 'pressure' of being on the leaderboard in the fantasy comp and found myself picking the majority of favourites instead of my own fancies, I'm going to revert back to a more healthy mix of fancied runners and lively outsiders.

Splashies, once again your picks looks solid.

Good Luck all!!!
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! (Nordea Masters + The Memorial) Year Profit: -130.94pts:
    With Graham DeLaet's run at the Crowne Plaza last week, I'm glad I wasn't able to post, I'd have only embarrassed myself! Think last week was a week for the bookies, we'd better try harder this week. It's been a disastrous 2 weeks for me in the European fantasy comp, I'm surprised I'm still top 200, though only just. I've struggled with the 'pressure' of being on the leaderboard in the fantasy comp and found myself picking the majority of favourites instead of my own fancies, I'm going to revert back to a more healthy mix of fancied runners and lively outsiders. Splashies, once again your picks looks solid. Good Luck all!!!
    Posted by TheDart
    Good, because I've gone for 3 out of 4 of those! Just want to see everyone else's picks before I commit.
  • edited May 2013
    Well I've seen what Splashies betting site has gone with and that's really messed me up. I had initially picked Casey and Ilonen, but then felt I was maybe giving Casey too much credit, as the last 2 bets I've had on him he's missed the CUT both times. So I was going to move away from him and go for a win only Noren bet. After looking at their tips, the first 2 names on the page are of course Ilonen and Casey!! So I've gone with 3 in the Nordeas.

I'm stuck between a few on the PGA. Everyone seems to have put the trophy in Tiger's hands already, but at 2/1 I can't see that a good bet I'm afraid. Yes if he plays well he will win, simple, but there are plenty of other people in this tournament wanting to spoil it for him.
    I looked at Speith, I think he is great value. 100/1 considering the amount of decent finishes he has had, but I had Matt Every on my radar before I did any research, so I have to stick to him @100/1.
    Bo Van Pelt was another I looked at, he has decent history here, but looking at previous years, he has always come here in very good form. The last 2 weeks however shows Bo is not firing on all cyclinders like he was at the start of the year. In terms of past history, excluding Tiger, 1 man sticks out a mile, and @20/1 in his current form Matt Kuchar is the best value this week I think. So here are my final picks.

Nordea Masters

Alex Noren 16/1 - Win only - Just can't ignore the way he won here so easily 2 years ago.

Paul Casey 40/1 e/w - At least make the cut this time please!

Mikko Ilonen - 33/1 e/w- In the form of his life, had a T3 here last year when he was half the man he is this year. Can't be ignored.

The Memorial

Matt Kuchar - 20/1 e/w - Probably should of backed him in the W/O Woods market at 14/1, but that's just boring :P

Matt Every - 100/1 e/w - In the final pairings with Kuchar on Sunday, also had a T6 here last year. He is a bit of a punt, but could be a nice payout.

• edited May 2013
    In terms of the fantasy teams, I've gone mega boring on the PGA. With all the big names playing this week I couldn't make myself pick Every, so I'm on McIlroy, Woods, Westwood and Kuch. Could be a seriously good week though!

European tour is a bit of a mixed bag. Couple of outside Swedish players, Fasth and Edfors. I've kept faith with Tullo as well which I doubt many people will have gone with. Most of the others are favs.
  • edited May 2013
    Nordea Masters

Bernd Weisberger - 25/1 ew, so between myself and Flash we've matched all 4 of Splashies picks!
    A bit (no very) narked, I missed the 30's and 28's which would normally send me off in a huff and I'd end up backing someone else, but my mind was made up early for Weisberger this week and next, though fancy he might be 'unbackable' next week, so the deed is done at 25/1.

Danny Willett - 80/1, after 12 weeks out, he returned to action last week and showed some decent form after such a long break. I'm not sure why he was out for 12 weeks, a bit of google search discovered he had an MRI scan on 6th March and got married on April 26th, don't think the two were connected, but he tweeted or sent a fax on May 4th saying 'loving life' so that's good enough for me. Oh and he is way up there on so many stats and I reckon this course will suit him, massive jackpot bonus value at 80/1 or even 66/1!

Lee Slattery - 125/1, said to myself on Sunday that Slattery gets his fair share of eagles on par 5's, don't know how accurate that casual observation is, but with this course comprising of 5 par 5 holes and Slattery maintaining a consistent level of form, I'm prepared to speculate on Slattery this week at 125/1.

Had to add Kristoffer Broberg 125/1, as I've picked him out on several occasions this year, mainly based on his 3 challenge tour wins in 2012. Playing in Sweden this week just might give him the feel good factor to get back to the top of the leader board.

• edited May 2013
    The Memorial

I am guessing this must be the shortest price Tiger has been pre-tournament for several years and with good reason, so I've backed all my selections ew first 5 in the 'Without Woods' market.

Hunter Mahan - 50/1, his season so far and his recent tournament record is good if not outstanding and comes in the 'just under the radar' category. This season Hunter has 5 top 20's + runner up in the world matchplay, in The Memorial he has achieved top 20 finishes in 3 of the 4 previous years. Good enough and big enough to win if he get's in contention.

Henrik Stenson - 50/1, the 2013 version is resembling the world class Henrik Stenson of old, this course will suit Henrik's game perfectly, was right up there after 3 rounds last year but with a final round 80 he finished tied 46th, replace that 80 with a 'simple 70' and the struggling Stenson of 2012 would have finished tied 4th. Great value this week.

Nicolas Colsaerts - 100/1, two top 10's from 10 starts on his debut season on the PGA Tour. With generous fairways, this could be ideal for the Belgian Bomber to make the most of his power game, 100/1 without Woods looks very generous.

I have also backed Graham DeLaet at 90/1 without Woods and 110/1 first 6, last week brought his first experience of being a real contender on the final day, tied 22nd, would suggest he didn't handle that pressure very well, so I'm hoping he will have learnt from the experience very quickly. I may not have backed him this week, but at the odds on offer and on a course that should again play to DeLaet's strengths I can't leave him out.

• edited May 2013
    as tiger looks so strong round here I've decided to just go with 5 first round leader bets.

Colesarts    80/1
    Ishikawa    125/1
    Jason Day    50/1
    Stallings      85/1
    Lingmerth   125/1

My £5 free bet from sky has went on D Johnson at 50/1 ew.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! (Nordea Masters + The Memorial) Year Profit: -130.94pts:
    The Memorial I am guessing this must be the shortest price Tiger has been pre-tournament for several years and with good reason, so I've backed all my selections ew first 5 in the 'Without Woods' market. Hunter Mahan - 50/1, his season so far and his recent tournament record is good if not outstanding and comes in the 'just under the radar' category. This season Hunter has 5 top 20's + runner up in the world matchplay, in The Memorial he has achieved top 20 finishes in 3 of the 4 previous years. Good enough and big enough to win if he get's in contention. Henrik Stenson - 50/1,  the 2013 version is   resembling the world class Henrik Stenson of old, this course will suit Henrik's game perfectly, was right up there after 3 rounds last year but with a final round 80 he finished tied 46th, replace that 80 with a 'simple 70' and the struggling Stenson of 2012 would have finished tied 4th. Great value this week. Nicolas Colsaerts - 100/1, two top 10's from 10 starts on his debut season on the PGA Tour. With generous fairways, this could be ideal for the Belgian Bomber to make the most of his power game, 100/1 without Woods looks very generous. I have also backed Graham DeLaet at 90/1 without Woods and 110/1 first 6, last week brought his first experience of being a real contender on the final day, tied 22nd, would suggest he didn't handle that pressure very well, so I'm hoping he will have learnt from the experience very quickly. I may not have backed him this week, but at the odds on offer and on a course that should again play to DeLaet's strengths I can't leave him out.
    Posted by TheDart
    I nearly backed delaet again myself but I just cant do it anymore lol every week he gets my hopes up then disappoints me!

His finish last week is very worrying considering his putting is shaky at the best of times. If his long game starts to wobble when the heat is on and his putting gets worse as well you would think he's in for a number of poor sundays!
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! (Nordea Masters + The Memorial) Year Profit: -130.94pts : I nearly backed delaet again myself but I just cant do it anymore lol every week he gets my hopes up then disappoints me! His finish last week is very worrying considering his putting is shaky at the best of times. If his long game starts to wobble when the heat is on and his putting gets worse as well you would think he's in for a number of poor sundays!
    Posted by jdsallstar
    I find this observation interesting, I can't say I agree or disagree, I'm undecided as to how good or how bad a putter Graham DeLaet is, as I'm not sure what to make of the stats.

You could conclude that given DeLaets' seriously impressive tee to green stats, the fact that he hasn't won yet is down to bad putting and it may well be as simple as that.

I think a fairer ananlysis is that putting may be his weakness, but just how weak is it or is it really a weakness that can hold back his progress and chances of winning?

If he consistently hits more greens in regulation than virtually everyone else on tour, potentially is he not looking at more two and three putts than anyone else, as the likelihood is, he faces more long putts (3 putt country putts) than most players as he is scrambling less than most.

He's also ranked 31st for scrambling by the way, which should suggest he doesn't have too much trouble holing out.

DeLaet is by no means down the bottom for a lot of the putting stats, in facts he's nearer half way, I'd understood that the 'strokes gained putting' was the key putting stat and DeLaet is ranked an improving 109th and take his last 3 tournaments he's showing a healthy +ve against the field for strokes gained putting.

Take last weeks winner Boo Weekly, a fellow top 10 player for GIR and much lower than DeLaet on many of the putting stats.

So my conclusion at the moment is, DeLaet has got more game than most, he is improving, he is gaining experience, he has been a winning bet for me on several occasions and as long as the bookies continue to offer value odds he will be on my short list.
  • edited May 2013
    ill plump for every and byrd, 80/1 and 125's respectively for 1st round leader, both course form and 5 e/w on each 
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! (Nordea Masters + The Memorial) Year Profit: -130.94pts : I find this observation interesting, I can't say I agree or disagree, I'm undecided as to how good or how bad a putter Graham DeLaet is, as I'm not sure what to make of the stats. You could conclude that given DeLaets' seriously impressive tee to green stats, the fact that he hasn't won yet is down to bad putting and it may well be as simple as that. I think a fairer ananlysis is that putting may be his weakness, but just how weak is it or is it really a weakness that can hold back his progress and chances of winning? If he is he consistently hits more greens in regulation than virtually everyone else on tour, potentially is he not looking at more two and three putts than anyone else, as the likelihood is, he faces more long putts (3 putt country putts) than most players as he is scrambling less than most. He's also ranked 31st for scrambling by the way, which should suggest he doesn't have too much trouble holing out. DeLaet is by no means down the bottom for a lot of the putting stats, in facts he's nearer half way, I'd understood that the 'strokes gained putting' was the key putting stat and DeLaet is ranked an improving 109th and take his last 3 tournaments he's showing a healthy +ve against the field for strokes gained putting. Take last weeks winner Boo Weekly, a fellow top 10 player for GIR and much lower than DeLaet on many of the putting stats. So my conclusion at the moment is, DeLaet has got more game than most, he is improving, he is gaining experience, he has been a winning bet for me on several occasions and as long as the bookies continue to offer value odds he will be on my short list.
    Posted by TheDart
    just had a decent look through the stats there and you've got a good point. he's actually 10th for putting inside 10ft for example which you imagine would be one of the key distances. Hard to pinpoint whats holding him back considering some of his other stats but a best place finish in around 20 starts of T9 would suggest somethings holding him back. maybe its just a bit of luck at the right time but he definitely has bags of potential.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! (Nordea Masters + The Memorial) Year Profit: -130.94pts : just had a decent look through the stats there and you've got a good point. he's actually 10th for putting inside 10ft for example which you imagine would be one of the key distances. Hard to pinpoint whats holding him back considering some of his other stats but a best place finish in around 20 starts of T9 would suggest somethings holding him back. maybe its just a bit of luck at the right time but he definitely has bags of potential.
    Posted by jdsallstar
    You have got me started on something now, so I had to check the putting stats out further.

As you say GDL is ranked 10th for putting inside 10ft, he's ranked 12th for putts 4'-8', so no problem there.

But then it goes a bit pear shaped.

Putts for 10'15' he's ranked 136th and 15-20' ranked a lowly 162nd making only 11.9% putts between 15-20'

Putting form 20'+ improves to a ranking of 60th.

So Graham DeLaet is not making his fair share of putts from 10 - 20', this matches Neil's groans the other week when he was on GDL for first round leader and said time after time DeLaet's putts just missed for birdie, in that round DeLaet was 100% for GIR and finished day 1 tied 13th.

Now if anyone has read this far, I would like to share a slightly none Graham DeLaet observation....

These stats usually show a right mixed bag at the top of each category but the players ranked top 20 for putts made at 15-20' include, Woods, Mcdowell, Horschell, Mickleson, Henley, Points, Snedeker and Bae, winners of 11 of the 21 strokeplay tournaments this year.

Back to Graham DeLaet it would appear the one area of putting that he is weak on is an area where tournament winners are strong.

So having found my new favourite stat and realised I don't have a pick that is ranked in the top 20, I feel the need to reward my research with an investment, so if I rule out players that have already won, those ranked top 20 for putts made 15'-20' with recent form and course form at The Memorial are Justin Rose, Charl Schwartzel and Webb Simpson and to a lesser extent Chris Kirk and Charles Howell III.

A tied 7th in 2011, with good form this year and odds of 50/1 means Webb Simpson is jumping to the head of my selection list this week and at 100/1 or 80/1 without Woods I will have a small bet on Chris Kirk.
  • edited May 2013
    Fantastic posts guys, great reading.
  • edited May 2013
    Fantastic posts guys, great reading.
    Posted by splashies
    Cheers Splashies, have to say I look forward to reading this thread when I've missed a few days or weeks.

I'm still chuckling at Neils 'hurricane' comment at your misfortune.

Hope you have better luck this week, preferable with Wiesberger :)

As for Webb Simpson, he was never on my radar this week, so I will have this thread and JD to thank if he gives me a good run for my money.
  • edited May 2013
    Shocking day for Colsaerts, Rory + Westwood. 
  • edited May 2013
    In terms of the fantasy teams, I've gone mega boring on the PGA. With all the big names playing this week I couldn't make myself pick Every, so I'm on McIlroy, Woods, Westwood and Kuch. Could be a seriously good week though! European tour is a bit of a mixed bag. Couple of outside Swedish players, Fasth and Edfors. I've kept faith with Tullo as well which I doubt many people will have gone with. Most of the others are favs.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Well that's what I deserve for trying to play safe. lol
  • edited May 2013
    Sigh, just seen Danny Willett has withdrawn, which is a double blow for me, bet wise and fantasy wise.

I take it the 12 week break was mostly down to an injury, so looks like he's still not right, back in the watch and wait category for young Mr. Willett.

In the States Nicolas Colsaerts may as well withdraw and I lost count of how many bogeys Webb Simpson made.

All is not lost though, I've got a Canadian bloke well placed and having slept on my new favourite putting stats I did add Schwartzel at 28/1 before the off.

Back to Europe and I'm hoping Wiesberger will break Splashies recent bad run (not just because this is Splashies thread but because he was also my main pick), he's nicely placed tied 12th 3 off the lead this morning.

I'm not happy to see Francesco Moilnari moving up to 5th as I took him out of my fantasy team at the last minute after reading Jiminez' quotes that the course was probably too long for him (Jiminez), with Molinari relatively short on distance, I swapped him for Peter Hanson.
  • edited May 2013
    Noren looking very good at the top at the moment :-)   (Cue the double bogey now i expect).
  • edited May 2013
    WP Matt Every! 3 doubles and a triple on his 1st 9 holes today.