You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Get in the Hole! 2017 Season!

Comments

• edited May 2013

so might have forgot to mention had an in play punt on sat morning as my guys seem to be falling away. thought i was just throwing it away half way thru the round but......

edit: just noticed the pic is pending. had a £1 ew on ernst at 100/1 :)

• edited May 2013
    Wd to those who won any money. Looks like Watney was pants. But who cares, the cobblers are off to Wembley. Had a fantastic trip to Cheltenham, sore head now though. What a goal and superb pen save!
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! (Wells Fargo + Volvo China Open) Year Profit: -43.19pts:
    Wd to those who won any money. Looks like Watney was pants. But who cares, the cobblers are off to Wembley. Had a fantastic trip to Cheltenham, sore head now though. What a goal and superb pen save!
    Posted by splashies
    Enjoy Wembley mate!
  • edited May 2013
    Well done JD.

I think the in running markets can sometimes be better value than the pre tournament, in hindsight Ernst was unbackable at 500/1 pre tournament, but after 2 rounds 100/1 was certainly worth a dabble.

I did the same as you but with David Lynn and even finishing second, at 125/1 he more than covered my losses on the pre tournament bets.

The trick is finding the balance and not backing half the field, then again in majors I have ended up backing a dozen or more and still come out with a profit, after all they are 4 day events and as we know a lot can happen over 4 holes, never mind 4 days!

Right next the Players and I can honestly say at this moment in time, I don't have a single player I feel strongly about this week, whereas normally I've got at least a couple of players I know I'm going to back well before the event.

Oh and nice one Splashies, I am sure you will enjoy the Wembley day out.

A slightly interesting confession for you, I once fell over at a motorway service station in front of some of the Northampton players and I hadn't even had a drink!
  • edited May 2013
    Cheers guys. Gl to your guys too.

Lol, Dart, you were clearly star-struck.

• edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! (Wells Fargo + Volvo China Open) Year Profit: -43.19pts:
    Well done JD. I think the in running markets can sometimes be better value than the pre tournament, in hindsight Ernst was unbackable at 500/1 pre tournament, but after 2 rounds 100/1 was certainly worth a dabble. I did the same as you but with David Lynn and even finishing second, at 125/1 he more than covered my losses on the pre tournament bets. The trick is finding the balance and not backing half the field, then again in majors I have ended up backing a dozen or more and still come out with a profit, after all they are 4 day events and as we know a lot can happen over 4 holes, never mind 4 days! Right next the Players and I can honestly say at this moment in time, I don't have a single player I feel strongly about this week, whereas normally I've got at least a couple of players I know I'm going to back well before the event. Oh and nice one Splashies, I am sure you will enjoy the Wembley day out. A slightly interesting confession for you, I once fell over at a motorway service station in front of some of the Northampton players and I hadn't even had a drink!
    Posted by TheDart
    Cheers Dart. It worked the week previous with gates when he was big odds and managed to hold on for a top 4 so thought i'd try it again. the in running markets offer great value for the unfancied but terrible returns for the favourites. Also something else i've been caught out on is when the 3rd round kicks off they only pay top 3 places rather than top 4 after round 1/2 and top 5 before the tournament.

Re Ernst. For all of the last round he was sitting around 5th - so I was just willing him on for a place. It wasnt until he birdied the last that I actually believed he had any chance at all at winning it. Even then I thought he'd not make it if phil got in the playoff. When Lynn virtually hit his tee shot in the lake I started to celebrate (i'm sure you were the opposite). Ernst could be one for the future though - I like the look of his swing.

One thing I have to be careful of is wasting money whilst in running. When my pre tournament picks fall back or look unlikely to win/place I go chasing a bit which is never a good idea. Because I've been running good and had three winners (all backed pre tournament) it's ended up eating away at my profit.

Havent looked at the players yet myself but i'll prob post them up tomorrow. None of the top 20 really seem to be in any decent form. Mcilroy hit a lot of greens and fairways at wells fargo but at 16/1 still isnt great value - might be a good in running bet if he just has an average round 1. Scott's always consistent but again not good odds and no idea how the masters victory will affect him. I'll have more in depth look at people like Schwartzel, simpson, bradley, oosthuizen, johnson who are all reasonably good odds. I think bradley will be one of mine anyway
  • edited May 2013
    Well done JD. I think the in running markets can sometimes be better value than the pre tournament, in hindsight Ernst was unbackable at 500/1 pre tournament, but after 2 rounds 100/1 was certainly worth a dabble. I did the same as you but with David Lynn and even finishing second, at 125/1 he more than covered my losses on the pre tournament bets. The trick is finding the balance and not backing half the field, then again in majors I have ended up backing a dozen or more and still come out with a profit, after all they are 4 day events and as we know a lot can happen over 4 holes, never mind 4 days! Right next the Players and I can honestly say at this moment in time, I don't have a single player I feel strongly about this week, whereas normally I've got at least a couple of players I know I'm going to back well before the event. Oh and nice one Splashies, I am sure you will enjoy the Wembley day out. A slightly interesting confession for you, I once fell over at a motorway service station in front of some of the Northampton players and I hadn't even had a drink!
    Posted by TheDart
    What a load of cobblers!!!...... I'm assuming my attempt at a pun was spotted????
  • edited May 2013
    i never see Northampton on the box, watched it last night, ur big boy up fronts built like a bit of a tank aint he??!! ive seen more petite linebackers in the nfl. the young goalie had a great game 
  • edited May 2013
    i never see Northampton on the box, watched it last night, ur big boy up fronts built like a bit of a tank aint he??!! ive seen more petite linebackers in the nfl. the young goalie had a great game 
    Posted by BELL_POKER
    Yes mate, Bayo can be unplayable at times.

Was a bit ugly last night but we defended and battled well.

Keeper is on a season loan from Wigan, looks 1 for the future and a really nice lad too.

Ul Swindon too flash, could have gone either way that.
  • edited May 2013
    The Players Championship

Lee Westwood 4pts e/w @ 25/1
    Nick Watney 4pts e/w @ 45/1
    Jason Day 4pts e/w @ 45/1

These 3 are in decent nick and have gone well here on occasions in the past. Hopefully 1 will go deep.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! (Wells Fargo + Volvo China Open) Year Profit: -43.19pts : Yes mate, Bayo can be unplayable at times. Was a bit ugly last night but we defended and battled well. Keeper is on a season loan from Wigan, looks 1 for the future and a really nice lad too. Ul Swindon too flash, could have gone either way that.
    Posted by splashies
    Yeah, we a bit gutting, but the way we played the first half I was expecting us to lose 6-0, not go to penalties!
  • edited May 2013
    poults usually has a good round or 2 here, so hes worth a tenner e/w in the 1st round market at a generous 60/1 (joint led last year, history doesnt always repeat itself but even still, have to play at those odds) 
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! (Wells Fargo + Volvo China Open) Year Profit: -43.19pts : Yes mate, Bayo can be unplayable at times. Was a bit ugly last night but we defended and battled well. Keeper is on a season loan from Wigan, looks 1 for the future and a really nice lad too. Ul Swindon too flash, could have gone either way that.
    Posted by splashies
    well congratulations and good luck and enjoy your final, and good luck to bradford also, they're fans warmed my heart in their carling cup final the way they behaved themselves with such credit so should be a good one,  and comisserations (spelling) flash its a bit stinking losing on pens as you say. good for the neutral like me but fans suffer either way! the play offs are always great id have them over almost any prem game on any week of the year
  • edited May 2013
    i see golf central daily have put up Kyle Stanley at over 100/1 for the players, I actually had him in mind for the US Open as a bit of a dark horse, any thoughts on his chances in either??? 
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! (The Players Championship) Year Profit: -55.94pts:
    i see golf central daily have put up Kyle Stanley at over 100/1 for the players, I actually had him in mind for the US Open as a bit of a dark horse, any thoughts on his chances in either??? 
    Posted by BELL_POKER
    2 top 10's in his last 2 starts, so in great form! Not sure he could win though with so many big names, but no reason why he can't make top 5
  • edited May 2013
    I've not done loads of research this week. With so many good players in the field it's really just down to who plays the best when it matters most, and that's almost impossible to tell pre-tournament.

Luke Donald - 20/1 - Not great odds, but he is coming back to form, had some decent finishes just no wins yet, and this course really suits him.

Charl Schwartzel - 35/1 - Bookies have short memories, he dominated the early part of the season on both PGA and European tours. Not played since the Masters which would of put him to the back of peoples minds.

Brandt Snedeker 50/1 - Can't understand why he doesn't have a good record here, his game is similar to Donald, so at 50/1 this could be an absolute steal!

Gonzalo Fernandez-Castano 150/1 - Great start to the PGA tour this year, played 5 events, made 4 cuts with 2 of them top 10's and a 20th at the Masters... 150/1? are you sure...??
  • edited May 2013

This week has a strange feel to it for me, so many of the big names have had opportunities to win this season, but for one reason or another haven't been able to get the job done, it feels like this is wide open and as Derek Ernst proved last week, anyone that tee's it up on day one can end the week lifting the trophy.

I've opted to go with the bookies offering ew first 6 this week and I've gone with the following picks:

Bo Van Pelt - 50/1, tied 6th last week was his best result of 2013, he's hasn't picked up any mental scars from being in the mix and failing in 2013, so I'm going with the 'logic' his game and frame of mind are in a good place! Consider he finished tied 7th last year and has two other top 10's in this event, Bo Van Pelt gives the impression he could be the dark horse in the field this week.

Henrik Stenson - 66/1, Not sure what went wrong last week when he missed the cut, but on further inspection he's played 3 times at Quail Hollow and missed the cut each time, last year he followed the Quail Hollow missed cut with a tied 15th at The Players, when his game and mind were not as strong as they are this year. Former winner of the event and has generally played well here despite coming to the event some years with indifferent form, around here 66/1 is very good value if Henrik is on his game this week.

Greame Mcdowell - 40/1, after Brett Rumfords exploits I feel I want to be on a recent winner, particularly as so many players this year seem to be lacking the consistency to win. When GMac won the 2010 US Open he did so after winning the Wales Open and then taking a week off, of course he won the Heritage two weeks ago and took last week off. On first inspection his Players results / form may not look that good, but further analysis reveals his career low round is a 65 and in 2011 he shot rounds in the 60's for the first 3 days, so can obviously play the course well and must fancy his own chances this week.

Tim Clark - 75/1, former winner here and after being out through injury has shown some good form this year.

• edited May 2013
    Bit annoyed I've missed the 25/1, but it's Luke Donald for me this week ew @ 22/1. Recent winners suggest this is no longer a bombers course. Last 2 years Luke has been there or there abouts, and I feel he is ready to hit top gear now this season. This event and the BMW at the end of the month will get his juices going. 
  • edited May 2013
    Didn't realise the crazy Irish people were offering 6 places. Luckily they had better odds than Skybet so that's who I have used anyway :-)
  • edited May 2013

Just read a couple of the previews for The Players Championship form the experts.

Ben Coley Sporting Life, opens with...

Although a par 72, Pete Dye's layout is relatively short at 7,215 yards and history suggests that, contrary to the logical assumption, taking advantage of the par-fives really isn't all that important.

Instead, it's those who can cope with the testing par-fours who tend to emerge on top and to do so a player will typically need to eliminate errors.

Rob Bolton PGA tour says.....

Scoring on the par 3s and 4s is firm but fair, so the mindset upon arrival should be to take advantage of the par 5s, which are gettable. Its fairways-hit percentage of 60.89 a year ago was the lowest since 2007, but it still managed to record its second-highest greens-in-regulation split (64.04 percent) of the last six years.

I always try to get my initial bets on before reading the experts columns as I find they can sometimes sway me in the wrong direction, that said I do look forward to reading their columns and get a small sense of achievement if they tip a player I have already backed.

I know Ben Coley and the guys at Sporting Life have a good strike rate, this week Ben Coley doesn't give a mention to any of my tips, let's hope he has a bad week!

Good Luck All!!!

• edited May 2013
    This is why I can't understand why Snedeker has such a poor record here, he is a good par 4 player, with great putting stats. This should suit him... Do most of the holes at Sawgrass dogleg one way and his natural shot goes the other?
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! (The Players Championship) Year Profit: -55.94pts:
    This is why I can't understand why Snedeker has such a poor record here, he is a good par 4 player, with great putting stats. This should suit him... Do most of the holes at Sawgrass dogleg one way and his natural shot goes the other?
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Nothing I'm aware of that could suggest why TPC is not a course to suit Snedeker, in fact I tend to agree with you that this course / event should be ideal for Snedeker.

He finished tied 12th on his debut in 2007 and hasn't made the cut since which is quite odd.

It look's like some years he has come into the event in good form and other not so hot, but each time he's missed the cut regardless.

He ticks all the stat boxes and at 50/1 really does look great value.

The only reason I haven't backed him is I decided there is reasonable doubt to oppose him as I'm not sure he will be fully over the way he fell away on the final day at The Masters, oh and the fact that I missed the 50/1 and he's now 40/1 might mean I am sulking slightly.

• edited May 2013
    Flat out in work so my picks are a bit hit and hope this week:

Outrights

Westwood(26/1) - thought was he seems to be getting closer week by week so due a good run at one. Just checked his record at the pc and it doesnt fill me with confidence. 2ew

Mcdowell (35/1) - in as good form as any of the top 20 and he always battles (which is probably why I keep backing). 

Simpson (50/1) - it was between Bradley, schwartzel, oosthuizen and simpson. Went for simpson because fancied the others less lol

Els (66/1) - seems to close to the top every week then just fades coming into the final round. He has to keep it going for the whole tournament soon. again just checked his record here which isnt great.
  • edited May 2013
    Went for a few in the first round leader market too. Using some good info and facts from your picks above, cheers fellas:

Bo van pelt - 50/1
    Stanley - 80/1
    Castano - 125/1

Reason I picked them for first round leader instead of outright is that just cant see any of them actually winning and place odds never seem too appealing to me.

Anyway thanks guys for some good analysis above as I said with work can't do much research this week so I'm tip stealing lol
  • edited May 2013
    I've not done loads of research this week. With so many good players in the field it's really just down to who plays the best when it matters most, and that's almost impossible to tell pre-tournament. Luke Donald - 20/1 - Not great odds, but he is coming back to form, had some decent finishes just no wins yet, and this course really suits him. Charl Schwartzel - 35/1 - Bookies have short memories, he dominated the early part of the season on both PGA and European tours. Not played since the Masters which would of put him to the back of peoples minds. Brandt Snedeker 50/1 - Can't understand why he doesn't have a good record here, his game is similar to Donald, so at 50/1 this could be an absolute steal! Gonzalo Fernandez-Castano 150/1 - Great start to the PGA tour this year, played 5 events, made 4 cuts with 2 of them top 10's and a 20th at the Masters... 150/1? are you sure...??
    Posted by FlashFlush

Someone is stealing your tips Flash, You def put yours on here first.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! (The Players Championship) Year Profit: -55.94pts : http://www.golfbettingsystem.co.uk/GBS2/The_Players_Championship_Tips.htm Someone is stealing your tips Flash, You def put yours on here first.
    Posted by splashies
    Why do you think they wait until Tuesday night? ;-)
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! (The Players Championship) Year Profit: -55.94pts : Why do you think they wait until Tuesday night? ;-)
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Not too sure really, I would use their tips if they were published earlier.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! (The Players Championship) Year Profit: -55.94pts : Not too sure really, I would use their tips if they were published earlier.
    Posted by splashies
    It's because they are waiting for mine! 

FWIW, I normally pick out 1 of my bets each week I think has the best chance... This week I'm going for Donald!
  • edited May 2013
    Players Championship.

Luke Donald 18/1
    Matt Kuchar 28/1
    Sergio Garcia 30/1

£5 ew on each
  • edited May 2013
    With only one event this week and the feel of a major to it I've spent a bit of time looking at the stats and came up with 3 longshots that appear high on many of the supposed key stats for this week.

Jimmy Walker - 125/1
    Matt Jones - 250/1
    Graham DeLaet - 250/1

Whilst Brandt Snedeker and Graeme Mcdowell both 40/1, jump off the stats pages as obvious names this week, Jimmy Walker and Graham DeLaet in particular are right up there with them.

A big ask to expect these players to win, so I also like the look of their value in alternative markets:

Top USA player - Jimmy Walker 66/1
    Top Rest of World Player - Graham DeLaet - 33/1
    Top Australian - Matt Jones - 16/1

ew first 4, 1/4 odds for Walker and DeLaet, ew first 3 1/5 odds for Jones