You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

a new year..a new game...CASH...still playing

Comments

• edited May 2013
    Have posted in the clinic Dev on this one. I don't mean to be harsh but I think pretty much every street other than pre is bad.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: a new year..a new game...CASH.(Target £500...currently £369.97):
    Have posted in the clinic Dev on this one. I don't mean to be harsh but I think pretty much every street other than pre is bad.
    Posted by Lambert180
    ty Paul
    yeah,kinda thought that might be coming.
    at least i'll have a better idea when I go there and see what's what,for next time.
    :)
    dev
  • edited May 2013
    Wednesday  14/5/13

played 2 x nl4
              1 x nl10

lost 25p  lol

b/roll £369.62  ( playing cash = down £93.30 this year)   (total won this year £38.80)
                          ( playing DYM = up £132.10 this year)
    c4p 1484

so after y'days play and finding out exactly how NOT to play,after getting my worst hand anaylised over in the poker clinic,(thank you to all who helped me there)
    I tried to play better today.
    I raised up 3x p'flop on most occasions.
    I c bet a lot of the time after raising p/flop which resulted in either taking the pot down there and then some of the time,or building pot on the more often other occasions.
    my bet sizing varied between 1/2 pot to 3/4 pot on most occasions.

ok,so not the perfect result I was hoping for,losing 25p but i'm happy with my first effort.

might play later tonight,see how I feel.
    dev
  • edited May 2013
    my best winning hand of the day
    got lucky on river but due this one ,I think
    of course opponent has made run and flush draw to my 999..
    call the police...
    AmountPotBalance
    Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £11.65
    Rubbernix Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £7.90
      Your hole cards

supercrazy Fold     
    sunshine Fold     
    bigandy18 Fold     
    devonfish5 Raise  £0.30 £0.45 £9.70
    Call  £0.25 £0.70 £11.40
    Rubbernix Fold     
    Flop

Bet  £0.30 £1.00 £11.10
    devonfish5 Call  £0.30 £1.30 £9.40
    Turn

Bet  £1.20 £2.50 £9.90
    devonfish5 Raise  £2.50 £5.00 £6.90
    All-in  £9.90 £14.90 £0.00
    devonfish5 All-in  £6.90 £21.80 £0.00
    Unmatched bet  £1.70 £20.10 £1.70
    xShow

devonfish5 Show

River

devonfish5 Win Full House, 9s and 3s £18.70  £18.
  • edited May 2013
    worst loss of the day..

once i'd bet the turn leaving £2.27 behind I was never folding to opponents all-in was I.
    top pair top kicker & nut flush draw too.
     £0.02 £0.02 £4.07
    garazmafia Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £3.86
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • Q

InoRookie Call  £0.04 £0.10 £3.24
    xCall  £0.04 £0.14 £5.13
    daviesin15 Fold     
    gregson02 Call  £0.04 £0.18 £1.44
    devonfish5 Raise  £0.18 £0.36 £3.89
    garazmafia Fold     
    InoRookie Fold     
    Call  £0.16 £0.52 £4.97
    gregson02 Call  £0.16 £0.68 £1.28
    Flop

• Q

devonfish5 Bet  £0.34 £1.02 £3.55
    xCall  £0.34 £1.36 £4.63
    gregson02 Call  £0.34 £1.70 £0.94
    Turn

devonfish5 Bet  £1.28 £2.98 £2.27
    All-in  £4.63 £7.61 £0.00
    gregson02 Fold     
    devonfish5 All-in  £2.27 £9.88 £0.00
    xUnmatched bet  £1.08 £8.80 £1.08
    devonfish5 Show
    • A
    • Q

Show
    • K
    • K

River

xWin Two Pairs, Kings and 8s £8.14  £9.22
  • edited May 2013
    Thursday  16/5/13

won £5.37

b/roll £374.99

c4p 1509

played 2x nl4 for 10 mins
    1x nl10
    1x nl10 mastercash

early night  'booked the win'
    watching the darts on Sky

(* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited May 2013
    had this rubbish to deal with early on
    bet sizing better I think.
    just unlucky..rivered again.
     £0.05 £0.05 £9.95
    Rinse Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £4.94
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • A

LuckyDaveB Fold     
    tillytrot Fold     
    Frogmella Fold     
    xCall  £0.10 £0.25 £7.81
    devonfish5 Raise  £0.35 £0.60 £9.60
    Rinse Fold     
    xCall  £0.30 £0.90 £7.51
    Flop

• Q
    • K

devonfish5 Bet  £0.70 £1.60 £8.90
    xCall  £0.70 £2.30 £6.81
    Turn

devonfish5 Bet  £1.80 £4.10 £7.10
    Call  £1.80 £5.90 £5.01
    River

devonfish5 Bet  £4.43 £10.33 £2.67
    xAll-in  £5.01 £15.34 £0.00
    devonfish5 Call  £0.58 £15.92 £2.09
    devonfish5 Show
    • A
    • A

xShow
    • K

xWin Two Pairs, Kings and 7s £14.72  £14.72
  • edited May 2013
    Good to see you very briefly on the mc table - definetly agree with the analysis of the 99- always want to be cbetting that hand with the were you checking behind for deception?- in that spot we definetly want to be building the pot and charging draws etc

Btw ul with that hand above. Trying to get used to 10nl myself so it's good to see the advice in this thread and someone trying to get to grips with it as well, you are grinding some profit lately though so keep it up, sure you will be at 500 in no time.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: a new year..a new game...CASH.(Target £500...currently £374.99):
    Good to see you very briefly on the mc table - definetly agree with the analysis of the 99- always want to be cbetting that hand with the were you checking behind for deception?- in that spot we definetly want to be building the pot and charging draws etc Btw ul with that hand above. Trying to get used to 10nl myself so it's good to see the advice in this thread and someone trying to get to grips with it as well, you are grinding some profit lately though so keep it up, sure you will be at 500 in no time.
    Posted by benc
    ty ben

with opponent only having £4 stack I ch flop for deception,knowing I still had 2 streets to get his stack.
    had he had a full stack I would have bet 1/2 to 3/4 pot for sure.
    I still got money in good on turn so happy with how I played the hand,despite what TK or others might think  lol

yes b/roll has gone up mate,but that was due to the recent dym promotion thingy where I made £126
    so it's not quite as good as it first appears.
    i'm still down from playing cash this year,(around £90 odd,)but i'm making some important changes regarding my bet sizing,(or lack of it,maybe  lol),atm,so I'm hoping for some improvement over the next week or so,fingers crossed.  lol
    (* *)
       ^
    dev
    ps morning edit; after seeing all the advice re the 99 (tv hand  lol),(over in the poker clinic)my conclusions are that I should have raised the flop (around 1/2 pot).
    but as played I think I got a little lucky maybe in that he didn't have 2 clubs or hit his flush draw,etc.
    so I would/will bet the flop next time.  lol
  • edited May 2013
    Friday  17/5/13

well after my mastercash exploits of last night,and showing everyone just how good I was,(cough)
    and winning just over £2 ...

it's back to reality today.

short session

won 91p

b/roll £375.90

c4p  1512

1 x nl10

back later
    dev
  • edited May 2013
    Friday  17/5/13

session 2  lost £3.18  earlier this afternoon

session 3  won £5.60  this evening

playing 2 x nl10 bit of mastercash earlier.

b/roll £378.32

c4p 1565

won £3.33 in total today.

lost an allin with trip Q's v AA that hit on turn,but apart from that played quite solid I think.

betting better today 1/2 to 3/4 minimum pot bets all day long
    tried a couple of semi bluffs earlier which didn't work,both against 2 pairs,which also cost me a bit,
    but hey,got to throw in the odd one now and again haven't you,just to show 'em you can do it.  lol

i'll take a small w today as I know I could have easily lost had I not ground it back.
    always another day tomorrow,so no need to push the boat out atm.

night all
    dev
  • edited May 2013
    Saturday 18/5/13

session 1

lost £3.97

2 x nl 10

session 2

won £14.19

2 x nl10

b/roll £388.56

c4p  1614

happy winning £10.22 today.played ok ran rubbish this morning but evened out tonight,i guess.
    looks as though I've now finally settled on playing just 2 tables,which I am happy about.
    played 1 for a few sessions but found myself getting bored folding all the time.  lol
    so playing 2 tables seems to be the right amount for the moment.
    i'm sure at some point i'll be looking to increase to 3 or 4 but it's one small step at a time for the moment.
    getting closer to the £400 barrier,hopefully get there soon.

all for now
    gl all
    dev
  • edited May 2013
    Well done dev another day of profit, keep it up mate.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: a new year..a new game...CASH.(Target £500...currently £388.56):
    Well done dev another day of profit, keep it up mate.
    Posted by benc
    ty mate

yes,not as much as some others playing this level,i'm sure,not mentioning any names of course.  lol
    but yeah,another w so got to be happy,haven't I.

night mate
    dev
  • edited May 2013
    Thursday  23/5/13

won £5.32

b/roll £393.88

c4p 1618

1-2 x nl10 35-45 mins

not played since Saturday as my poker arm is very sore,due to over playing for so long.
    so rather than playing through the pain,as I have been,decided to take some time off and hopefully it will gradually fix itself and I will then be able to enjoy playing pain free.
    so after 4 days away although improved to how it was,still painfull but in less pain.
    also playing with my opposite hand for the next week or so which should help.

so decided to 'book the win' and take an early finish.
    not going to play in this weekends 'cash promotion' but good luck to everyone that does.

(* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited May 2013

Was wondering where you had been lol

Glad to hear you are good, arm aside.

How do you find 10nl versus 4nl? What's the biggest difference you have found?

• edited May 2013
    I have hit some 10nl the past few days, so will venture an answer.

It totally depends when you play. For the most part I find 4nl pretty similar at all times during the day.

10nl is a nit fest to start, loosens up in the evening a bit, and after 11pm is often out and out insane.

Depending on how you play, would should really be picking the time that suits your style. At least for the first few sessions.

I have had to adapt my game at 10nl, not going to go into my adaptions as they might not be relevant to you, but go in open minded and always consider that your 4nl game might not be optimal at 10nl.

• edited May 2013
    10nl is a nit fest to start, loosens up in the evening a bit, and after 11pm is often out and out insane.

Completly agree with this so many nit-regs that fill up the tables- there is always 1 or 2 players to target though- but definetly have to adapt and mix up with these nitty reg to be succesful at these limits and not have to rely on coolering people to make a profit- one thing i would say is they don't like being put in tough spots so have to get out of your comfort zone sometimes and put them in really tricky spots based on board texture how they have played hand etc. Havn't played 4nl just thought i would expand on that point calcalfold made.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: a new year..a new game...CASH.(Target £500...currently £393.88):
    Was wondering where you had been lol Glad to hear you are good, arm aside. How do you find 10nl versus 4nl? What's the biggest difference you have found?
    Posted by LARSON7
    hi Larson,
    ty mate.

tbh I haven't played very much nl4 of late as i'm now rolled quite well I have been concentrating on nl10.
    but from my limited experience of nl4 I would say not a great deal tbh.
    you still get a lot of limpers at both levels and have to raise up to thin them out,or take your chances.
    at nl10 I think players in general fold more to these p/f raises than nl4 where as it costs less obviously,so more players are prepared to gamble more,i think.

play wise as I said there really isn't a great deal of difference.loose players will still call light and tight players fold,which we can use to our advantage.
    making notes on players helps which i'm sure you do,and the more you have,the better.
    table selection is another thing I now use playing nl10 as why play against 3 or 4 reg's if by going to another table you can avoid them.
    again,playing at peak times,ie; evenings means more regs so I now when possible try to avoid starting my sessions then and play at other times,more often than I ever used to,either starting earlier or later.

also,i did find the money difference between the 2 levels does takes some getting used to,ie;the all-in difference between £4 and £10 especially.
    it's easier said than done but you really can't be playing with 'scared money' which i'm sure yourself,me and most others will also tell you,was a problem for them too,in the beginning.
    if you think you are good or a call is the correct play,you have to make it and go 'all-in' if needed, if you can't then you are not properly rolled for it,and should come back with a bigger b/roll in the future.
    (I have as i'm sure you know,played a little mastercash but am keeping away from them for the moment anyway,as again a £20 all-in is a big jump up from a £10 all-in,isn't it.)

I also don't see anything wrong with 'booking the win' either,which goes against most normal thinking.
    (I would rather see my b/roll go up by £4-£5 after playing for 15-20 mins or so, than going backwards after a 3-4 hour losing session.)
    in my opinion the longer the session you play the more chance there is of you losing,as variance tiredness and other factors will come into play.
    which goes completely against how I have always thought up until now.strange.
    also,how many tables do we play?
    should we play more or less at nl10?
    from my experience here,LESS for sure.
    playing 1 table was ok to start but I now play 2 which keeps me interested.
    could play more but not as optimally as 2,so in no hurry to play more,atm.
    also,go with your 'gut feeling' when playing...rightly or wrongly.  lol

hope some of this might be of some use mate.
    trial and error is also up there to i'm sure.
    gl
    dev

• edited May 2013
    Tuesday 28/5/13

lost £61.58

b/roll £332.30 (up 48p this year.  lol)

c4p  1744

4 x nl10

7&1/2 hrs

1st session played since last Thursday,due to cash promo,etc.
    wish I hadn't bothered.  lol

looks bad I know,but I felt I played ok tbh.
    yes,i had a number of crummy bad beats,and played a few bad hands mixed in,i guess.
    started at just after 7pm went down early doors...
    grinded it back and was level at around midnight..
    wish i'd stopped then.  lol
    anyway..
    the rest is history now.
    no big deal..another mistake,just something else to think about.

going to try and find a way of playing some timed sessions,not going to be easy though,i'm thinking, as I've never done it before,and am fighting against 3 years instincts here.

won't be my last losing session,that's for sure,and I've no regrets as it's all a very sharp learning curve atm.

some good news...
    the arm's improving.  lol
    still resting it up though,as much as possible and still playing with opposite hand atm.
    (if you've never tried it,which i'm sure many of you haven't,it's a bit like trying to write with your left hand,(if you are right handed,obviously,and is quite funny at first.)
    give it a go sometime,if you need a good laugh.  lol

back laters
    dev
  • edited May 2013
    Wednesday  29/5/13

won £9.68

b/roll £341.98

c4p 1763

4 x nl10

1&!/2 hrs

didn't really feel like playing after y'day,but knew I had to.
    intended on playing for 2 hrs today,but tables fell apart so left early.  hooray
    at least I've managed to achieve something today.

still happy with my game overall and making slow progress.
    y'day was a disappointment obviously but that's water under the bridge now.
    my mentor has had a few words with me and told me in a nice polite roundabout way to sort myself out,which I hope today I have done!!!  lol

back tomorrow
    dev
  • edited May 2013
    Evening Dev,

What are your opinions on 10nl, do you think a good 4nl game will be able to beat 10 as well?

Also, do you tend to modify your style depending on the time of day at 10nl?

all the best ccf
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: a new year..a new game...CASH.(Target £500...currently £341.98):
    Evening Dev, What are your opinions on 10nl, do you think a good 4nl game will be able to beat 10 as well? Also, do you tend to modify your style depending on the time of day at 10nl? all the best ccf
    Posted by calcalfold
    hi ccf

i prefer nl10 to nl4.
    why? not sure,just do.
    i'm sure if anyone can win playing nl4 they would also win playing nl10.
    why then do some players continue to play nl4 when they could be winning more by playing nl10,and choose not to is a mystery to me.maybe some or most have tried it and lost and go back to nl4 where they feel more comfortable.the losses at nl10 are bigger but as long as players are properly rolled for it,that shouldn't be a major problem.
    it's only a jump up of 1 level or 2 i guess if you count nl8,which i don't.
    I've not beaten nl4 myself and am still a long way away from winning at nl10 but it's getting easier day by day ,i think.
    i try playing my own game whenever and whoever i play.
    i don't have any problem as to who i play.obviously the better reg's become familiar with your game as you do to theirs which you have to try and use to your advantage,as do they.
    if given a choice i would rather play un-knowns to me if you like as in theory they should be better to play against.
    playing the reg's though is inevitable as there are so many,so i enjoy the challenge of playing them now,and learning from watching them also.
    it was difficult playing them at first though and i'd be lying if i said anything different.
    make no mistake,many know what they are doing,as i have found out the hard way,and they will gladly take your money.
    i don't class myself as a reg myself just yet,but i plan on getting there,however long it might take.
    i have probably lost somewhere between £1000-£1500 so far this year,i would say by not playing DYM'S as i did last year.
     i think that tells you how serious i am about learning to play cash this year

i'm sure that you will do well at nl10 ccf,and i know you will be playing there full time very soon,and your nl4 days will be gone forever.
    gl
    dev

• edited May 2013
    Cheers for the comments dude, a very insightful post :)

Totally agree about less tables. I started 4nl playing 4 tables and eventually progressed to 7.

Started 10nl with just two tables, now sometimes putting in an extra table if I am feeling good and have no distractions.

4nl was all about the cards for the most part, now im finding it very useful to use notes, or at least pay attention to the table at all times.
  • edited June 2013

Thursday 30/5/13  day off

Friday 31/5/13

session 1 

won £3.25

4 x nl10  45 mins

session 2

won £6.20

3 x nl10  30-40 mins

b/roll £351.43

c4p  1808

2 short sessions today,mainly due to other things but happy with the W
    probably not going to play tonight,might do a little watching laters. 

monthly report;

1/5/13  b/roll £228.63

31/5/13 b/roll £351.43

profit £122.80  (inc playing dym promo,where I won approx. £130)

so in summary;
    almost level from my cash play for May,which includes a losing session of £61 a few nights ago,
    so taking everything into account not a bad month overall.
    going to continue playing nl10 in june 2-4 tables and shorter sessions too,hopefully.

still learning.still making mistakes,as you do,but at least breaking even from my play which is another step forwards,i think.
    plenty more to learn,but happy with how it's going.

big thank you to ARAZI too for all the help.ty mate.

all for now
    best wishes
    dev

ps; just had a read through all of May posts,what a turbulent month it was.
    playing dym promo then back playing nl4 again,after my original plan to take a month off from cash and re-build b/roll by playing dym.then back to nl10 again.  lol

• edited June 2013
    Just read through this, well done for going back to cash when you think your better at dyms, it will be an achievement when your crushing 10nl! I see you was playing alot of tables last night and I thought, from what I see, that you played well so well done, gl at the tables dev.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: a new year..a new game...CASH.(Target £500...currently £351.43):
    Just read through this, well done for going back to cash when you think your better at dyms, it will be an achievement when your crushing 10nl! I see you was playing alot of tables last night and I thought, from what I see, that you played well so well done, gl at the tables dev.
    Posted by robbie1992
    ty Robbie,

I don't think i'm better at DYM's mate...I know I am.  lol
    yeah,ran my KK into your  AA & again v someone else too,and lost another all-in with my KK v AK  came AA lol
    but apart from that played ok I think.
    report to follow.
    hope you enjoyed it playing at nl10 last night
    bet it seemed funny dropping down levels,didn't it.

anyway,thanks for posting Robbie,and best wishes mate.
    dev
  • edited June 2013

Hi Dev,

you certainly seem to be playing good stuff when I see you, nice one.
    although there are 4 or so players (yourself included) I like to avoid at my tables :)

You got any aims this month?

Also what are you looking for when selecting a 10nl table to join? is it just absence of regs or is there anything else?

• edited June 2013
    Saturday 1/6/13

lost £28.48

b/roll £322.95

c4p 263

9 x nl10  6-7 hrs

got a bit carried away whith loading tables and 4 became 6 and 6 became 9  lol
    thought i'd try playing a full session against all the usual suspects,which I know is going against my new plan of playing shorter sessions and only 2-4 tables,but I got carried away with myself and as it was a Saturday night,i'll let myself off...this time.  lol
    happy with how I played for most of the session tbh.
    I know it looks bad on paper but losing 2.8 buy-ins which is all it is,doesn't really reflect how well I played,i think.

not sure if i'll be repeating this again,as I know it is a more risky strategy,but at least I've given myself a good test to see exactly where my cash game is at the moment.
    obviously it's only 1 session to go by,but I felt quite at home playing against the reg's.
    maybe I could make it a weekly Saturday night thing and see how that goes.
    don't think I would want to be doing it every session atm,but i'm sure that it will come at some point in the future.

sunday  2/6/13

won £13.81

1 x nl10  1 hr+

b/roll £336.76

c4p  273

back to something like normal today,which was nice.
    happy getting almost 1/2 of my loss back from last night.

it's going to be a real mental battle I feel this month,trying to keep the number of tables I decide to play under control,as i'm only into day 2 and I can already see what's coming...
    yes, a train crash.

anyway,i'm aware of the possible situation and it's up to me as to how it goes,and yes, if it does happen,then i'll only have myself to blame.
    hopefully though i'll get back on track ... well until Saturday at least.  lol

gl all
    dev
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: a new year..a new game...CASH.(Target £500...currently £351.43):
    In Response to Re: a new year..a new game...CASH.(Target £500...currently £351.43) : ty Robbie, I don't think i'm better at DYM's mate...I know I am.  lol yeah,ran my KK into your  AA & again v someone else too,and lost another all-in with my KK v AK  came AA lol but apart from that played ok I think. report to follow. hope you enjoyed it playing at nl10 last night bet it seemed funny dropping down levels,didn't it. anyway,thanks for posting Robbie,and best wishes mate. :) dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    Yeah those ones are very annoying, when I shoved I thought its kk. Yeah u played well I was impressed. Yeah abit weird but oh well I need to get my game back on track and wanna play with better brm so 10nl is fine now, plus it's mostly the same regs at 10nl and I'm getting to no there games better every session, u gonna try at the cash promo starting tommorow?