You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

a new year..a new game...CASH...still playing

Comments

• edited May 2013
    Well then we shall have to disagree. I would say he has the potential to beat 10nl, but not the ability right now.

"insanity is defined as doing them same thing over and over again, and expecting different results"
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: a new year..a new game...CASH...it's a sad day...it's all over...for now!!!:
    I have to be the voice of reality. But what changes are you making to you game prior to the next attempt at 10nl?
    Posted by calcalfold
    i'll give it some thought mate.

I've no exact plans atm and I've always taken my poker one day at a time.
    i'm happy with what I've learnt so far by playing cash this year.
    my b/roll has gone down as i'd expected,and it's the right time to stop and have a break and re-build my b'roll.
    i'll come back in a month or whenever,depending on how much dym's I play, and should feel fresh and ready to try again.
    i'll almost certainly make mistakes all over again,but hopefully not as many.

the last 4 months have been tough and testing,in all departments for me,and yes I've lost money.
    but that's only money I've previously won from playing dym's.
    learning to play cash was never going to be easy for me,and I could very easily stop playing it for good,the way i'm feeling right now.
    i'm not expecting it to be any easier when I return,and I am fully aware that I may well lose money for the second time of asking,but it's a risk I'm willing to take.
    changing to cash this year was all about the long term and that's how i'm looking at it.
    I have already in my mind written this whole year off money wise.
    if I desperately needed to win,then i'd stick to playing dym's,but this is only a hobby to me.I could just as easily take up painting or playing dominoes.

(* *)
       ^
    dev

• edited May 2013
    I wish you all the best, and am only making these comments as its the way I see it, and hope you will turn into a successful player.

I hate to see people make the same mistake twice, and feel that a bit of constructive criticism is often better than the good old "dont worry about it mate, it was just a bad run"

gl

ccf
  • edited May 2013

thanks guys for the support.

calcalfold,  I respect your opinion mate,just as I do everyones. and my results so far would suggest that you are right in that I don't have the ability to beat nl10 atm,and i'm not going to argue with that.

i'm trying though and practise makes perfect.
    yes I've made plenty of mistakes but i'm sure you know all about 'up-swings' and 'downswings'
    and I think it's fair to say I've been running bad for the last week or two,and that's being polite I can tell you.

all I can do is come back with a nice roll behind me and give it another try.
    I don't think that's insane at all.

(* *)
       ^

• edited May 2013
    I completely understand what calcalfold is saying it is good to get constructuve criticism, but if you have been talking to ARAZI and others who are good cash players and they are telling you that you are going about things the right way but variance is just being unkind, then chopping and changing how you play constantly due to bad runs may actually be more detrimental than helpful.

• edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: a new year..a new game...CASH...it's a sad day...it's all over...for now!!!:
    I wish you all the best, and am only making these comments as its the way I see it, and hope you will turn into a successful player. I hate to see people make the same mistake twice, and feel that a bit of constructive criticism is often better than the good old "dont worry about it mate, it was just a bad run" gl ccf
    Posted by calcalfold
    ty
    no worries mate,

mate,all comments are welcome here and I appreciate people being honest.
    I am already a successful player playing dym's.
    if I do make the same mistakes twice,then so be it,i'll only have myself to blame.
    it's all a learning in progress and you have to make mistakes in order to improve,don't you.
    I have no idea what the future holds for me poker wise,especially playing cash,but I do know this...
    i'll never go broke,because of good brm.
    worst case scenario?i go back to playing dym's...again.

best wishes
    :)
    dev

• edited May 2013
    I completely understand what calcalfold is saying it is good to get constructuve criticism, but if you have been talking to ARAZI and others who are good cash players and they are telling you that you are going about things the right way but variance is just being unkind, then chopping and changing how you play constantly due to bad runs may actually be more detrimental than helpful.
    Posted by benc
    ty benc

(* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited May 2013

looks as though I've timed it well going back to playing DYM's this month,with the BIGDEAL promotion running all month.

I've signed in to it,so it's back grinding from tomorrow.
    not sure exactly how hard to hit it,but i'll put in a few hours.  lol

anyway,time for bed I think,and re-charge the battery.
    i'm off work tomorrow and Monday so I've no excuses not to play.

night all,
    dev
  • edited May 2013
    does tin tin tornaments?? Devon mate you seem a really good player from what ive seen f you. Sounds like bad varience to me, with perhaps some fine tweeking. Pokers all about percentages no matter how small, so a few slight adjustments and youll be smaishing it.

btw WHAT ARE DYMS??
  • edited May 2013
    Dev the promo is only for 3 days! just don't sleep for the entireity of it, multitable low stakes dyms, take down the £300 and be back on the cash by next week lol
  • edited May 2013
    Dev mate.

Its very easy for a bad run to knock the confidence of even the best cash player but in your case when you are just starting out on the cash journey and the bad run takes you down to 20buyins it will feel twice as bad.

I am by no means the best cash player on site but i am a consistent winning player at all the levels i play and i know almost immediately when i see a good or bad player and you my friend have massive potential to be the former.

I dont expect you to be tearing up the tables at this point in time and even if you were only breaking even or making a buyin here and there it is only a start on what i know would be a long winning road for you at cash once you get more to grips with it and tweek a few things here and there, even the best cash players have to pay for their education before they start getting it all back long term.

Just because you lost around 11 buyins during your time at 10nl dosnt mean your not good enough to be there and imo you should never be moving back to 4nl at any point or just like Benc said above that could undo alot of the good work you have already put in.

Unlike alot of the guys on this thread i have had the advantage of seeing alot of your hand history over the last few weeks and apart from a small percentage of times where you made mistakes and maybe paid off the types of players who you shouldnt be paying off your game was coming along great mate and as i said before you were learning from any mistakes at a rapid rate.

I would guess that out of all the losing hands i saw you were ahead when most of the cash went in around 90% of the time and that is the sign of a winning player, everything else is out of your hands once that cash goes in and if you are getting players to risk their stacks time and time again when they are behind you are doing things right.

The fact you got unlucky on alot of those hands shouldnt make you doubt yourself in the slightest.

However i agree with you on going back to dyms for the time being in order for you to build your BR up to a amount where you can play 10nl without the fear of a downswing breaking you and also after the run you have just had on cash it wont hurt you to get a bit of that confidence back doing something you feel more at home doing.

Once you have your BR to the 50buyin amount you want to be at for 10nl i am CERTAIN you will become a big winner long term at that level and only get better and better as time goes on.

I hope you continue to post your progress at the DYMs on here mate because i am sure that there are alot of players and friends on here who like to read your posts each day and follow you along the way.

PM me anytime you need any advice mate and if i can help you know i will.

Best of luck.

Daz.
  • edited May 2013
    does tin tin tornaments?? Devon mate you seem a really good player from what ive seen f you. Sounds like bad varience to me, with perhaps some fine tweeking. Pokers all about percentages no matter how small, so a few slight adjustments and youll be smaishing it. btw WHAT ARE DYMS??
    Posted by meadowskil
    ty meadowskil,

yes mate,did get on a downswing and added to that a few bad calls here and there,doesn't make for good reading.
    no worries though,not a major problem..."I'LL BE BACK"

DYM's  Double Your Money  (in the SIT & GO section)

6 players playing against each other with 2000 starting chips & 5 min blinds
                you play until 3 players are left and those 3 all double their original buy-in,(less rake)
                so,ex; a £3 dym costs you £3 + 30p rake and you would win £6 so that gives you a profit of £2.70

they are a fairly safe way to play poker,and are especially good for any new players and start from as little as 60p
    you can build a good bankroll up by playing them and with very little risk,i have found.
    the best way and quickest way is to multi-table them,which soon comes with practise,although I found I did make a lot of mistakes to begin with,but it was worth it once I got the hang of it.
    I would say that you should be looking to be playing 9 tables minimum and as many more as you can handle after that,as the best way to make money playing them,long term.

good luck,& best wishes mate,

(* *)
    dev
  • edited May 2013
    Dev the promo is only for 3 days! just don't sleep for the entireity of it, multitable low stakes dyms, take down the £300 and be back on the cash by next week lol
    Posted by benc
    ha ha

it's 4 days I think, fri sat sun &,mon but yeah,sounds easy enough doesn't it.?

I see Evilpingu is keen,he's got his name down on 6 tables atm,,shame there's no one else to play!!!
    looks as though I could be playing him later,me thinks  lol

i'll give it a shot. top 3  would be nice £300 £250 £200 £150
    after that it's 5th-10th £100
    & 11th - 20th £50

i'll start later about 10 ish and see where it goes,not much point playing unless there's 15+ tables available.  lol

anyway,
    all for now. off to get the sandwiches and flasks ready... lol

(* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited May 2013
    Dev mate. Its very easy for a bad run to knock the confidence of even the best cash player but in your case when you are just starting out on the cash journey and the bad run takes you down to 20buyins it will feel twice as bad. I am by no means the best cash player on site but i am a consistent winning player at all the levels i play and i know almost immediately when i see a good or bad player and you my friend have massive potential to be the former. I dont expect you to be tearing up the tables at this point in time and even if you were only breaking even or making a buyin here and there it is only a start on what i know would be a long winning road for you at cash once you get more to grips with it and tweek a few things here and there, even the best cash players have to pay for their education before they start getting it all back long term. Just because you lost around 11 buyins during your time at 10nl dosnt mean your not good enough to be there and imo you should never be moving back to 4nl at any point or just like Benc said above that could undo alot of the good work you have already put in. Unlike alot of the guys on this thread i have had the advantage of seeing alot of your hand history over the last few weeks and apart from a small percentage of times where you made mistakes and maybe paid off the types of players who you shouldnt be paying off your game was coming along great mate and as i said before you were learning from any mistakes at a rapid rate. I would guess that out of all the losing hands i saw you were ahead when most of the cash went in around 90% of the time and that is the sign of a winning player, everything else is out of your hands once that cash goes in and if you are getting players to risk their stacks time and time again when they are behind you are doing things right. The fact you got unlucky on alot of those hands shouldnt make you doubt yourself in the slightest. However i agree with you on going back to dyms for the time being in order for you to build your BR up to a amount where you can play 10nl without the fear of a downswing breaking you and also after the run you have just had on cash it wont hurt you to get a bit of that confidence back doing something you feel more at home doing. Once you have your BR to the 50buyin amount you want to be at for 10nl i am CERTAIN you will become a big winner long term at that level and only get better and better as time goes on. I hope you continue to post your progress at the DYMs on here mate because i am sure that there are alot of players and friends on here who like to read your posts each day and follow you along the way. PM me anytime you need any advice mate and if i can help you know i will. Best of luck. Daz.
    Posted by _ARAZI_
    THANK YOU DAZ....
                               Lovely post as always mate.

yes,you know exactly what's been going on mate,and know exactly 'what's what.'
    i'll be back,you know that, and one little set back isn't going to stop me.

the DYM's begin again today,and i'll be interested to see how I do...hope the 'old magic' is still there.  lol

that Evilpingu's still sitting there waiting,and I've been here a little while now,and still no one want's to play him...shame.
    i'll give him a game later.

best wishes buddy
    dev

ps; current b/roll £224.68

target b/roll £500

• edited May 2013
    Sorry to hear of your frustrations. Be aware of the lobby issues atm if you're going to be multi-tabling, plenty of times games aren't firing up automatically. Not much worse than being sat out of a DYM.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: a new year..a new game...CASH...The b/roll rebuilding begins today.(Target £500...currently £224.68):
    Sorry to hear of your frustrations. Be aware of the lobby issues atm if you're going to be multi-tabling, plenty of times games aren't firing up automatically. Not much worse than being sat out of a DYM.
    Posted by bbMike
    ty mike

dev
  • edited May 2013
    looks as though supercrazy and evilpingu are going for it,they are both on all of my tables.

might have to settle for 2nd or 3rd place.  lol

(* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited May 2013
    well played dev and arazi last night. it was fun.

a quick look at the cash and tourney lobby it looks like a lot of the problems have been sorted. good luck this weekend if your putting in an effort for the promo
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: a new year..a new game...CASH...The b/roll rebuilding begins today.(Target £500...currently £224.68):
    well played dev and arazi last night. it was fun. a quick look at the cash and tourney lobby it looks like a lot of the problems have been sorted. good luck this weekend if your putting in an effort for the promo
    Posted by TINTIN
    cheers tintin,another 3rd  lol

well played mate on taking it down.

supercrazy will almost certainly win it imo,as he can play 14-16+ tables all day and all night.
    i'll be very happy if I make top 3 or 4.

not going to kill myself for it,especially with the snooker being on.

(* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited May 2013

1st session back playing DYM's after a 4 month break...
    felt as though i'd never been away...(still got it.)  lol

won £11.70 

12+ tables £2 & £3 (did load up 1x £5 by mistake...won it though, phew.)

b/roll £236.38

c4p 207

back later

(* *)
       ^
    dev

ps; had TommyD on a few of my £3 tables...wtf?  lol
  • edited May 2013
    Welcome back from the darkside Dev.
    I was sat with you and Tommy on a couple of £2 tables earlier.
    GL bud
    Mick
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: a new year..a new game...CASH...The b/roll rebuilding begins today.(Target £500...currently £236.38):
    Welcome back from the darkside Dev. I was sat with you and Tommy on a couple of £2 tables earlier. GL bud Mick
    Posted by VespaPX
    thanks Mick,yeah saw you there mate.
    gl mate
    dev
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: a new year..a new game...CASH...The b/roll rebuilding begins today.(Target £500...currently £224.68) : cheers tintin,another 3rd  lol well played mate on taking it down. supercrazy will almost certainly win it imo,as he can play 14-16+ tables all day and all night. i'll be very happy if I make top 3 or 4. not going to kill myself for it,especially with the snooker being on. (* *)    ^ dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    i know what its like to push too much for a promo like that. good thing is that its more of a sprint this time. i reckon once your back in your rythm even playing your normal hours you should be around the top 20 which itself would bring a nice £50 bonus for the bankroll. i hope they keep the same kinda format for the cash part at the end of the month for myself but no doubt it wont mirror this one:( business end of the snooker isnt one to be missed altho it might if ronnie doesnt make the final lol
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: a new year..a new game...CASH...The b/roll rebuilding begins today.(Target £500...currently £224.68) : i know what its like to push too much for a promo like that. good thing is that its more of a sprint this time. i reckon once your back in your rythm even playing your normal hours you should be around the top 20 which itself would bring a nice £50 bonus for the bankroll. i hope they keep the same kinda format for the cash part at the end of the month for myself but no doubt it wont mirror this one:( business end of the snooker isnt one to be missed altho it might if ronnie doesnt make the final lol
    Posted by TINTIN
    going to push hard today and tomorrow and see where I am.
    yeah,be nice to see Ronnie win it again,i think he will.
    gl mate for when the cash promo gets here

dev
  • edited May 2013
     thought i'd better play another session this afternoon,as all the other usual suspects were.

totally opposite to earlier session today,ran like poo.
    never mind still a long way to go.

lost £23.55

b/roll £212.83

back later

dev
  • edited May 2013
     session no. 3 today

lost £4.05

b/roll £208.78

down £15.90 today in total.

not the start i'd hoped for but played enough of these things and know exactly how it can go,from session to session,day to day,so no worries.

same again tomorrow,and see where I lie in the 'bigdeal' promotion,and go from there.

hoping I can keep b/roll above £200,that would be nice.

that's all for today,

(* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: a new year..a new game...CASH...The b/roll rebuilding begins today.(Target £500...currently £212.83):
     session no. 3 today lost £4.05 b/roll £208.78 down £15.90 today in total. not the start i'd hoped for but played enough of these things and know exactly how it can go,from session to session,day to day,so no worries. same again tomorrow,and see where I lie in the 'bigdeal' promotion,and go from there. hoping I can keep b/roll above £200,that would be nice. that's all for today, (* *)    ^ dev
    Posted by devonfish5

Hi Dev mate.

Not the start you wanted obvi but i am guessing that because of this promo at the mo these will be playing much harder than normal due to the likes of Tommy, Evilpingu etc etc playing all levels and no doubt when it ends things will go back to the way you remember.

Good luck mate

• edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: a new year..a new game...CASH...The b/roll rebuilding begins today.(Target £500...currently £212.83):
    In Response to Re: a new year..a new game...CASH...The b/roll rebuilding begins today.(Target £500...currently £212.83) : Hi Dev mate. Not the start you wanted obvi but i am guessing that because of this promo at the mo these will be playing much harder than normal due to the likes of Tommy, Evilpingu etc etc playing all levels and no doubt when it ends things will go back to the way you remember. Good luck mate
    Posted by _ARAZI_
    thanks Daz,
    yes,did ok 1 st session but downhill after that.
    probably played a bit looser than I would normally by 20%-30% I would say,due to the bigdeal promo which is the amount of hands played.
    i'll tighten up a bit today and see how it goes.
    think I might be top 3 as I played a few hours y'day but will find out later.

anyway,another day of grinding to look forward to.
    cheers
    dev
    ps;  seems to be working,had my name up for a £3 game
          went out to have a poo,etc,came back,game had started when I got to it,2 players were all-in,next thing I know...you've won £6 came up.  wooohooo,  lol
  • edited May 2013
      went out to have a poo,etc,came back,game had started when I got to it,
    Posted by devonfish5
    Buddy your an absolute star, nobody can touch you in terms of attention to detail in posts.

Love it.
  • edited May 2013
    "probably played a bit looser than I would normally by 20%-30% I would say,due to the bigdeal promo which is the amount of hands played".

The promo is hands dealt i think, so check it over again as obviously you wont need to worry about how loose-tight you are playing if that is the case.