You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

a new year..a new game...CASH...still playing

Comments

• edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: a new year..a new game...CASH...still a struggle.:
    I looked for this thread the other day and saw you last posted on this 5 days ago. Shame really mate as i think you will do very well, once you got the hang of it. I do think u jump din the deep end tho. But its good taking risks some times,  Hope to see you at the tables soon m8 and hope you get your £100 for cash champ? gl m8
    Posted by shaun09
    ty shaun,
    yeah,always knew the risk involved as i've played nl10 b4,so it came as no real surprise tbh.
    still nl4 is ok i'm just about breaking even which is ok.
    as i've said it's one day at a time and see where we end up mate.
    i'm still hopefull of turning things around,it's just practise like most things the more you play eventually the better you get.
    good luck this w/end,nearly all over then it's a day off i suspect.
    :)
    dev
  • edited January 2013
    oh yes! nice day off :D knowing i dont HAVE to play, i can play when i want xd you got much c4p coming your way? 
  • edited January 2013
    oh yes! nice day off :D knowing i dont HAVE to play, i can play when i want xd you got much c4p coming your way? 
    Posted by shaun09
    not as much as you mate i know that.  lol

£27.78 atm  lol

still with the hopefully £100 or so on top as well b/roll will look a little better again,

gl buddy
  • edited January 2013
    hehe yeah. Im in priority this month wiii. never thought i would of made it as i only play 10nl. but feels good to reach it.
  • edited January 2013
    hehe yeah. Im in priority this month wiii. never thought i would of made it as i only play 10nl. but feels good to reach it.
    Posted by shaun09
    well done mate,you deserve it.

(* *)
       ^
    ian
  • edited January 2013
    Hi,

Hope your enjoying your move from DYM to cash bit of a different beast. I've just started playing Nl4 again I think we were sharing a few tables for a while.

Hope you dont mind I had a look at your three posted hands and made some notes.
    hand 1: Raise more pre i like to open to 5x, Nice size C bet, when people start playing back at you @ NL4 they normally have the nuts, if im playing well I think i can get away from it.

hand 2: Limping UTG is super bad, i think a raise or a fold are both playable options depending on table? As played on flop make a bigger bet for value. At NL4 you will get called by a large range of hands. The turn call is fine. I like the bet on the river but I prob just flat when he plays back at you. You have to ask yourself what does he min raise the flop with lead the turn then min raise the river again after it has paired.

I dont think you can put him on a smaller flush the way it was played or a big Ace as there was no raise pre. So I think a high % of the time they turn up with a house here.

Hand 3: Raise more pre your oop and there have been a load of limpers. im quite happy to make it 32p. On the flop i think its a fold dont like the call at all if you want to continue I'd prefer a raise give yourself a chance of taking the pot down. But going back to an earlier comment most players at NL4 will only raise/bet with a big hand.

The turn again i think its a fold your really not beating alot. On the river I dont mind leading again but i only flat the min raise.

I think you just have to remember at NL4 they will call light but when they raise its the nuts a decent % of the time. People dont like fold pairs keep betting your good hands big 75-100% of the pot then revaluate when you get played back at.

Have enjoyed reading both your diary's and your commitment to your DYM challenge was amazing I wish I had your DRM skills!

Hope your running well this afternoon

Edit: The more ive been thinking about the AA hand the more I think its harder to fold, he could be doing this with alot of PP but i'm not surprised when they turn over a Jack.

• edited January 2013
    Hi, Hope your enjoying your move from DYM to cash bit of a different beast. I've just started playing Nl4 again I think we were sharing a few tables for a while. Hope you dont mind I had a look at your three posted hands and made some notes. hand 1: Raise more pre i like to open to 5x, Nice size C bet, when people start playing back at you @ NL4 they normally have the nuts, if im playing well I think i can get away from it. hand 2: Limping UTG is super bad, i think a raise or a fold are both playable options depending on table? As played on flop make a bigger bet for value. At NL4 you will get called by a large range of hands. The turn call is fine. I like the bet on the river but I prob just flat when he plays back at you. You have to ask yourself what does he min raise the flop with lead the turn then min raise the river again after it has paired. I dont think you can put him on a smaller flush the way it was played or a big Ace as there was no raise pre. So I think a high % of the time they turn up with a house here. Hand 3: Raise more pre your oop and there have been a load of limpers. im quite happy to make it 32p. On the flop i think its a fold dont like the call at all if you want to continue I'd prefer a raise give yourself a chance of taking the pot down. But going back to an earlier comment most players at NL4 will only raise/bet with a big hand. The turn again i think its a fold your really not beating alot. On the river I dont mind leading again but i only flat the min raise. I think you just have to remember at NL4 they will call light but when they raise its the nuts a decent % of the time. People dont like fold pairs keep betting your good hands big 75-100% of the pot then revaluate when you get played back at. Have enjoyed reading both your diary's and your commitment to your DYM challenge was amazing I wish I had your DRM skills! Hope your running well this afternoon Edit: The more ive been thinking about the AA hand the more I think its harder to fold, he could be doing this with alot of PP but i'm not surprised when they turn over a Jack.  
    Posted by PiAnOpLaYa
    Hi mate,

sorry i didn't reply to your post as i've not been here of late.

thank you for your comments re hands.
    it's a whole new world this cash game compared to the dym world that i have become used to,having played them for the best part of last year.
    i know i am making mistakes and am very greatfull to everyone that takes the time and effort to post in with their views,yours obviously included.
    i can only go on what i feel at the time when playing a hand, and it is so easy to look back afterwards and see exactly what i could have done/should have done differently.
    the A9 suited hand i would simply now not play from utg,so i've learnt something fron that one.
    the AA hand again i would now raise bigger pre-flop and possibly go all-in where possible,another lesson learned the hard way.
    i'm not on the same page as my hands so am struggling to remember the 3rd,sorry.
    i'll look again at it in a mo.
    oh yes,the AK hand.yes once the q comes to give me run on river...i'm committed and dooooomed.  lol

still it's early days and i am determined to try and crack this cash game.
    i have been playing for 1 month now and a report will follow.

thanks again PiAnOpLaYa.

dev
  • edited January 2013
    been playing cash for almost a month...

starting cash b/roll  £313.62

current  cash b/roll  £246.69 

lost £66.93

c4p  2522 = £30.26 to come

effective b/roll  £276.95

monthly loss £36.67+£18.20 from 1/1/13 to 6/1/13

so in total playing cash in January lost £54.87

(these figures include winning £100 for coming 9th in 'cash champ promotion')

summary;

had better months tbh.
    the cash champ promotion probably cost me money wise,but also saved me in a strange kind of way too.
    it also gave me plenty of practise and a chance to 'mix it up' with all the 'reg's' at nl10 especially & nl4.
    learnt a lot playing wise...lost a little money wise...fair exchange.
    had a bad losing spell from 20/1 to 29/1 where i lost every day i played,which was a test,and cost me,but came through it and somehow won last night to end it... winning £2.75  lol

what next?
                   another month of hopefully nl10 probably playing less tables,somewhere between 1 or 2 & 6maximum atm.no point playing 12 tables and losing.depending on results at nl10 drop to nl4 if needed.
    table selection,will be used.not much value playing 3 or 4 reg's,so if no value to be found,it's a night off.
    c4p...meaningless at the lower 2 levels for me anyway,so they will just be 'whatever' at the end of each month
    for the time being.

will post up if anything 1/2 interesting comes up.
    finally,thank you to everyone for all the great help and support you have all given me...
    it is very much appreciated,i have learnt so much in such a short time,especially from the feedback on hands i've posted.
    i've still got some doubts as to whether i'll ever make a reasonable cash player,which is my new goal for this year,but as always i'll be giving it my best shot.as always it's 'one day at a time' and as long as i am enjoying the challenge and not losing huge amounts of money,it's always possible.
    be easy to slip back to playing dym's again,especially now that i've been informed there is a new 'devonfish7'
    on the block to do battle with.  lol

gl all
    dev

• edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: a new year..a new game...CASH...wooops:
    Keep your head up mate you new it was a big learning curve, maybe play less tables give yourself time to think what your oppos have. Less winnings, but less lose and less stress.. 
    Posted by tomo_efc
    hi tomo...can't bring myself to write the last part  lol

i'm so sorry for not replying,i missed your post,and have only just come across it,after reading back through all posts for inspiration more than anything.

you have hit the nail right on the head buddy...big learning curve for sure...less tables,deffo....
    more thinking needed re what opponents hands might be....and yes,hopefully less loss and stress too.

very well said...and thank you.

best wishes tomo

(* *)
       ^
    dev
  • _G__G_
    edited February 2013
    Hi Dev

Not seen much of you lately, how are thing going, are you still finding it a bit strange, 2/4 can be a bit like that.
    anyway keep going i am sure you will be ok.

good luck

Glen
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: a new year..a new game...CASH..1 month gone...still here.:
    Hi Dev Not seen much of you lately, how are thing going, are you still finding it a bit strange, 2/4 can be a bit like that. anyway keep going i am sure you will be ok. good luck Glen
    Posted by _G_
    thanks glen,
    yes it's certainly diferent to playing 15/18 dym tables that's for sure.  lol
    it's getting easier though...i think.
    i'm not going 'all-in' as much as i was especially if i'm only holding 1 pair after the flop,like i was.
    playing less tables...6 tonight has helped as i am thinking more and not simply pressing buttons.

just finished a 6 1/2 hr session  nl4  6 tables  won £5  lol

cash b/roll £281.94  (down £31.68)

a small step.still got a lot to learn but enjoying the challenge.
    going to try to beat this level for the moment then have another go at nl10.

best wishes buddy,
    dev
  • _G__G_
    edited February 2013
    Can not fault you dev
    i am not doing to bad, not going to say much about it, not added to my account since end of December, i was down to about, £10 by jan 1st, but i went a bit mad with ukops, played BH, and all in sats soon got rid of my bank roll, lol.
    but anyway up to £53.17 about £40 up so far, thinking of doing two tables today, but i got a bit of problem with that,

GL Dev

Glen
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: a new year..a new game...CASH..1 month gone...still here.:
    Can not fault you dev i am not doing to bad, not going to say much about it, not added to my account since end of December, i was down to about, £10 by jan 1st, but i went a bit mad with ukops, played BH, and all in sats soon got rid of my bank roll, lol. but anyway up to £53.17 about £40 up so far, thinking of doing two tables today, but i got a bit of problem with that, GL Dev Glen
    Posted by _G_
    hi Glen

glad to hear your b/roll is going back up again,well played.
    yes,it can dissapear very quickly can't it if u r not carefull,and let's be honest no one wants to have to keep toping up do they.
    stick to good b.roll management and you'll be fine.
    2 tables today then, good luck.
    you should be able to get 2 full size tables on screen.
    gl buds
    dev
  • edited February 2013
    £50 Gtd FreerollTournament CompleteFinished at 12:11 - 02 FebRegistered155 / 2000Players Left0 / 1551devonfish5 - £13.622bos_rael - £8.183thebookie2 - £54wartic - £3.925atleti - £3.35669steve - £2.827jokey52 - £2.338theresa12 - £1.859i-dopey - £1.3910onepara26 - £1.3911lozanlew - £0.9512EmHook39 - £0.9513boomboowoooohoooo  1st win this year...5th in total.
  • edited February 2013
    WP in the freeroll Dev

Unlucky on your first month back to cash, but as you say it was always gonna be a big learning curve. Its so much less straight forward playing 100xBB and plenty of the time 200xBB+ deep than SnGs where you can play much more robotically.

Cash is definitely the hardest format of the game, and therefore the one with the biggest edge possible because obviously the bigger (and more frequent) the mistakes are that can be made, the bigger the gap will be between top players and terrible players.

Stick at it though! Definitely less tables, there's no way you wanna be coming into cash and attempting to play a sick amount of tables before you are confident you can play 2-3 well. Post hands in the clinic too!
  • edited February 2013
    I'd say thats a good first month considering the huge differences between cash/DYM. Personally I wouldn't have been surprised if you busted your roll. I reckon you'll turn a profit in February now you've found your feet.

Congrats on the freeroll win. Can you teach me how to do it please?
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: a new year..a new game...CASH..1 month gone.. freerolls...no problem.:
    WP in the freeroll Dev Unlucky on your first month back to cash, but as you say it was always gonna be a big learning curve. Its so much less straight forward playing 100xBB and plenty of the time 200xBB+ deep than SnGs where you can play much more robotically. Cash is definitely the hardest format of the game, and therefore the one with the biggest edge possible because obviously the bigger (and more frequent) the mistakes are that can be made, the bigger the gap will be between top players and terrible players. Stick at it though! Definitely less tables, there's no way you wanna be coming into cash and attempting to play a sick amount of tables before you are confident you can play 2-3 well. Post hands in the clinic too!
    Posted by Lambert180
    hi Paul,
    ty m8.
    always knew the 1st month or so would be tuff,but got through it without to much damage.
    i'll continue at nl4 and that should help too keep things under control,rather than risk playing nl10 for the moment anyway.
    as you say playing less tables too is helping,i think.
    good luck yourself as i believe i read you are now playing some nl20. aaaagh.
    dev
  • edited February 2013
    Ihi n Response to Re: a new year..a new game...CASH..1 month gone.. freerolls...no problem.:
    I'd say thats a good first month considering the huge differences between cash/DYM. Personally I wouldn't have been surprised if you busted your roll. I reckon you'll turn a profit in February now you've found your feet. Congrats on the freeroll win. Can you teach me how to do it please?
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    hi Gary,
    ty m8.
    ha,ha. i've always thought that it could be possible to make money from just playing freerolls and it is something that i've always thought of trying,just never got around to it,especially with the number of sites available nowadays...maybe one day. lol

yes ,happy with the freeroll win y'day,always nice when u come 1st rather than 2nd isn't it,and the money is always good too.  lol

unfortunately i have had a quite bad tooth ache...,again,for the last week and haven't felt like playing very much tbh,which is a nuisance and frustrating.
    the dentist couldn't see anything wrong and therefore wouldn't take out the tooth which i believe is causing the pain,so it's a catch 22 atm,just waiting for things to develop further.

anyway,i'll soldier on...keep taking the tablets as they say,and hope for the best.
    keep up the good work on your challenge mate.must be nice now you are getting towards the stage where you can actually play and be able to risk a little,i would imagine.
    dev
  • edited February 2013
    Congrats on the freeroll victory Dev - sad as it is, that is still one of my poker ambitions on Sky - unfortunately my tournament play has gone backwards of late so I'll be wholly reliant on luck if it is to happen!

After a month, mostly at NL4(?), what do you think have been your biggest learning points for playing the game / or rather what do you think you'll be doing differently to the early days of your cash quest which will make Feb a winning month?
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: a new year..a new game...CASH..1 month gone.. freerolls...no problem.:
    Congrats on the freeroll victory Dev - sad as it is, that is still one of my poker ambitions on Sky - unfortunately my tournament play has gone backwards of late so I'll be wholly reliant on luck if it is to happen! After a month, mostly at NL4(?), what do you think have been your biggest learning points for playing the game / or rather what do you think you'll be doing differently to the early days of your cash quest which will make Feb a winning month?
    Posted by shakinaces
    hi shakinaces,
    ty m8,yeah been a while since my last freeroll win but better late than never.  lol (no pun intended)
    tbh i ran well but i'm pretty sure i got my chips in good ,every time so maybe that helped.

again tbh,there has been so much i've learnt,it's un-real.
    at nl4 it's basically a 'shove fest' for many.as the amounts of money involved are relatively small,players play almost 'any2 cards' and therefore in multi-way pots the chances of winning are slim.
    getting to grips with bet sizing has been difficult and probably the most interesting for me and i'm still only at the 'basic' level.

i have been going 'all-in' with marginal hands,ie; 1 pairs even 2 pairs & trips with paired boards & flushes available,etc.and losing many times,thinking opponents can't always have the 'perfect 2 cards' to beat me each time...but they do very often.

playing my big hands..AA KK QQ AK etc,hasn't been easy.not sure the best line to take with them
    and am still experimenting.

at nl10 more good reg's than nl4 probably slightly less tables available too.
    not a great difference in standard,more players betting back at you than nl4 being the biggest difference,i think.
    obviously i'm the 'new kid on the block' if u like and am being picked on,which is fine and to be expected.
    also,a losing session hurts more,obviously.

as to February....
                            not playing atm,but when i do again.not sure it will be a winning month tbh,could be break-even at best,which although not great,i'd settle for right now.
         i think the biggest difference will probably be not getting carried away when holding marginal hands.
    i'll play the only way i know how atm,tight and try and get more aggressive as i know i must.
    i'm not going to get into any meta-game stuff with individuals and try anything fancy as i'm sure that will come in time.
    for now it's all about getting the 'basics' in place and learning from my mistakes.

best wishes shakin
    dev
  • edited February 2013
    "not playing atm,but when i do again.not sure it will be a winning month tbh"

Hi dev been following this thread, just wanted to say don't go into the month with such a negative mindset, be confident in your ability! I know its easy to lose confidence when the cards are not falling your way and your learning. Your results in dyms were really impressive, obviously you have had to make some adjustments to cash, but you are clearly a very good poker player so believe in yourself and tell yourself that you are good enough to crush cash games, if you go into the game thinking you are going to lose and get outdrawn with monsters etc then it might affect your play. Play how you feel comfortable and slowly learn the adjustments you need to make without trying to massively change anything over night. Good Luck by the way i'm sure it's a matter of time before you are a winning cash player.
  • edited February 2013
    "not playing atm,but when i do again.not sure it will be a winning month tbh" Hi dev been following this thread, just wanted to say don't go into the month with such a negative mindset, be confident in your ability! I know its easy to lose confidence when the cards are not falling your way and your learning. Your results in dyms were really impressive, obviously you have had to make some adjustments to cash, but you are clearly a very good poker player so believe in yourself and tell yourself that you are good enough to crush cash games, if you go into the game thinking you are going to lose and get outdrawn with monsters etc then it might affect your play. Play how you feel comfortable and slowly learn the adjustments you need to make without trying to massively change anything over night. Good Luck by the way i'm sure it's a matter of time before you are a winning cash player.
    Posted by benc
    ty benc,
    yes,i'm sorry i came across a bit negative earlier but i always tell it'as it is' and that's how i'm feeling about my cash game atm.
    it's difficult feeling anything but negative though as all my efforts last month,money wise anyway, counted for nothing and i've got the feeling that this month won't be very much different.
    of course i'm hopeful things will turn out better,but even a level month would be an improvement which i think i mentioned i would settle for.
    confidence goes hand in hand with winning,so whilst i'm still learning how to play cash properly,i have to accept that my confidence won't be as good as it should be,for example,as it might be if i was was playing my usual dym games,that i've become so familiar with.
    still early days though,so i'm not panicking.i'll just 'let it come to me' rather than me going chasing after it.
    after all 'what's the rush?'
    "it's a never ending game"as someone once said.  lol
    thanks again for your nice post and support.
    dev

• edited February 2013
    hi folks,
    back playing again...at long last.tooth ache seems to have cleared up,so feeling my way back slowly.

had a chance to think about things whilst not playing and have made 2 decisions;

1st... decided that cash is not for me here at sky.
            two main reasons...too many regulars playing and not enough tables to avoid them.
                                     ... the rake.
    2nd... will continue playing £3 DYM's to build my b/roll.

i could carry on playing cash but tbh there is very little value to be found even at the micro levels imo.
    i haven't really enjoyed the last month and a bit,it's been different that's for sure,but i can't see myself carrying on,as it's feels like i'm fighting against it,every time i play.
    it's not like me to back down or give up,but i can only go with how i'm feeling,and this feels like the right thing to do,and my mind is therefore made up.

i would like to thank everyone that gave me their support and also to all who helped me,especially with the hands that i posted up.i did learn from them.

just to finsh...

started cash challenge with £313.62 on 7/1/13

finished cash challenge with £295.56 on 2/2/13

so in total playing nl4 & nl10 from 1/1/13 to 2/2/13  lost £40.16

not great,but no disaster either.

finally...
               i've got $5.40 in another poker account,which i am going to use to play cash.
               my aim is to see if i can turn it into $1,000.
               playing 1c/2c last night now on $10.12

thanks again & best wishes.

(* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited February 2013
    Hi Dev

Nice to have you back from the darkside !
    See you at the tables :-)

Why don't you give the Feb Omaha DYM challenge a spin.

I'm playing it for the first time and really enjoying it.
    Gl
    Mick
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: a new year..a new game...CASH.. it's over for now.:
    Hi Dev Nice to have you back from the darkside ! See you at the tables :-) Why don't you give the Feb Omaha DYM challenge a spin. I'm playing it for the first time and really enjoying it. Gl Mick
    Posted by VespaPX
    thanks Mick,
    god,i struggle with 2 cards what chance have i got with 4.  lol

i'm taking it 1 day at a time at the moment mate,so i'm really not knowing what i'll be playing from 1 day to the next.
    i'm happy just chugging along though.be nice to see if i can spin up the $5 though.
    also not in any hurry to rush back to playing dym's either,so no worries there.

best wishes buddy...gl with the omaha.
    dev
  • edited February 2013
    hi,

interesting read.

Can I ask why you decided to move to cash when you were winning some decent money at DYM? Got bored of them? lol

Also just a suggestion, play half as many cash tables as you did DYM. Decisions are less obvious i feel especially when you are new.

EDIT: just read your last post, moving back to DYM, TBH makes sence if you are more comfortable there and enjoy it more!
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: a new year..a new game...CASH.. it's over for now.:
    hi, interesting read. Can I ask why you decided to move to cash when you were winning some decent money at DYM? Got bored of them? lol Also just a suggestion, play half as many cash tables as you did DYM. Decisions are less obvious i feel especially when you are new. EDIT: just read your last post, moving back to DYM, TBH makes sence if you are more comfortable there and enjoy it more!
    Posted by sighcall
    hi m8,
    yeah, lol just fancied a change tbh.
    cash is something i have always struggled with and i thought i'd give it another go after playing DYM for most of last year.
    the edge in cash is so small though in comparison to the one i think i have playing DYM and as i've mentioned with the rake on top,for me anyway,it's just not profitable atm.
  • edited February 2013
    Dev seeing as you had a v bad session at cash you have lost very little. Hope to see you soon at the cash tables. Build that roll up again and get your game going there again and come back to cash mayb and play 8nl 4 tables at a time or some thing. Any way gooduck mate
  • edited February 2013

Fair enough, full to you credit for giving it a good go. You lost very little money considering, must have beaten the rake by miles. 'Horses for courses' I suppose (well, apart from those going in lasagnes), maybe the DYMs are your best game and should be your home here on Sky.

• edited February 2013
    hi folks, back playing again...at long last.tooth ache seems to have cleared up,so feeling my way back slowly. had a chance to think about things whilst not playing and have made 2 decisions; 1st... decided that cash is not for me here at sky.         two main reasons...too many regulars playing and not enough tables to avoid them.                                  ... the rake. 2nd... will continue playing £3 DYM's to build my b/roll. i could carry on playing cash but tbh there is very little value to be found even at the micro levels imo. i haven't really enjoyed the last month and a bit,it's been different that's for sure,but i can't see myself carrying on,as it's feels like i'm fighting against it,every time i play. it's not like me to back down or give up,but i can only go with how i'm feeling,and this feels like the right thing to do,and my mind is therefore made up. i would like to thank everyone that gave me their support and also to all who helped me,especially with the hands that i posted up.i did learn from them. just to finsh... started cash challenge with £313.62 on 7/1/13 finished cash challenge with £295.56 on 2/2/13 so in total playing nl4 & nl10 from 1/1/13 to 2/2/13  lost £40.16 not great,but no disaster either. finally...            i've got $5.40 in another poker account,which i am going to use to play cash.            my aim is to see if i can turn it into $1,000.            playing 1c/2c last night now on $10.12 thanks again & best wishes. (* *)    ^ dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    that is an awesome result dev
    despite your negativity you clearly can play cash
    just take what you have learnt on bet sizing and add it to your skillset on whatever you play next
    has been a great challenge to follow
    looking forward to the next one