You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

a new year..a new game...CASH...still playing

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Jac
    as a live player I would normally have agreed with your comments
    but as I have tried to improve my online play it has become clear that it is critical to master multitabling if one is to crush it.
  • edited March 2013
    Fair points all Geldy

Wasn't having a go at Dev and yes longterm multitabling will provide biger profits.
    Just thinking 'walk before you can run'
    Cash is fairly new to Ian and we're in all honesty not YET 'crushing'
  • edited March 2013
    Jac,

totally agree, cash for points is a nice way of getting a reward for putting in volume. But the #1 priority should always be playing the right number of the right tables to suit your ability and style of play.
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: a new year..a new game...CASH..whooops.:
    Ian 7 hour session -£40 Month of playing to date - c4p £4 to come Doesn't that tell you everything? Until you're making big numbers c4p wise it shouldn't be of the slightest importance to you. Wha is important is the stuff you already know but keep disregarding. Game selection By now you will know both the good/bads regs at these stakes. Why sit with a table of good players when with a minutes work you can find a table full of bad players? Number of tables How's are you going to get reads on people if you are not following the game at all? I guess th multitabling is due to your fixation with c4ps. £4 to come shows you that c4p's means nothing at this level. £4 is what you lose in one hand when you've missed that the guy who's shoved is the tightest player you ever seen but you were on another table. You call, he shows nuts and there's a buy in gone. I know it all sounds harsh but you WILL win at this level if you drop the number of tables and fully concentrate on the ones you're on.
    Posted by Jac35
    hi Paul,
    thanks as always mate for the feedback.
    yeah,i know my c4p is low atm,as i've not been playing much and when i have only been playing 2/4 tables until now.
    my point there was that some reg's are playing 10/12 tables every day and getting a good return from c4p so i was just enquiring as to whether i should play more tables,starting from next month now obviously and if the c4p is worth the effort.i guess i also need to be at least playing break-even poker first though.

yeah,again my game selection has been quite good at least up until y'day anyway.
    i think i just got carried away loading tables once i got behind and should have known better.

another thing i forgot to mention and something that interests me is this;
    most of my losses came from premium hands,as i've mentioned.
    my stats show my number of  wins and losses for these hands, for this session anyway, were almost dead on 50/50
    so my point is this; is it really worth playing premium hands?
    wouldn't i simply be better off playing them as say pocket 6's?
    i know it's just 1 session,but it seems to me no matter how i play these hands, in the past and at the moment anyway,that making a profit from them i'm finding impossible.and it's mainly these big hands that are costing me so dearly almost every session.am i just being paranoid over them or simply not playing them correctly?
    i've tried playing them different ways...all-in slow et,etc.
    any thoughts?
    :)
    dev

• edited March 2013
    on the other hand you are starting to push it - both in number of tables and also aggression I am really liking that dev don't let one losing session put you off - yet bit like the matrix (film) suddenly things become natural it is not about thinking it is about knowing go for it
    Posted by GELDY
    ty GELDY,
    yeah,it's stil quite early days i guess,so u r right in that i should keep going for it.
    i'd already made my mind up b4 y'day that i was going to play at least until the end of March,and will.
    again u r right i am starting to push it,probably just too much y'day.
    again know what u r saying about it having to become natural rather than thinking about it.
    just a bad session,but i've has worse.  lol
    just going to write that one off and put it down to in-experience.
    thanks for the support mate...it's tough losing at anything,when u r super competitive,as i am...especially when money is involved too.
    all encouragement is much appreciated from yourself and jac35 and from everyone else too.
    dev
  • edited March 2013
    Hi dev

seem to be going ok, got a few points i would like to add.

1. Stop playing when you arent playing well, you say you feel like trying to 'win it back'. This really isnt the best way to play.
    2. 4-5 BI isnt too bad, depends on how many tables you were playing.
    3. Forget about C4P - really not worth pushing yourself to play too many tables, best just trying to play your best game on as many as you can.
    4. As for playing strong holdings, keep playing them. But make sure you play them as a normal hand, and remmeber they can loose. You are deeper than a DYM so dont be lookig to get it in. Also dont feel you have to call on a scary board that smacks their range just coz u have aces. I think it was you that sometimes rasie 5x, i wouldnt reccomend doing this as people will still call with 22 and you have bloated the pot for when they hit their set. And when they miss u bet and they fold and u win 10p extra.

Sorry to blab on but hope it helps.

Main thing forget about C4P - playing 1 table well is better than playing 12 tables badly.
  • edited March 2013
    Hi dev seem to be going ok, got a few points i would like to add. 1. Stop playing when you arent playing well, you say you feel like trying to 'win it back'. This really isnt the best way to play. 2. 4-5 BI isnt too bad, depends on how many tables you were playing. 3. Forget about C4P - really not worth pushing yourself to play too many tables, best just trying to play your best game on as many as you can. 4. As for playing strong holdings, keep playing them. But make sure you play them as a normal hand, and remmeber they can loose. You are deeper than a DYM so dont be lookig to get it in. Also dont feel you have to call on a scary board that smacks their range just coz u have aces. I think it was you that sometimes rasie 5x, i wouldnt reccomend doing this as people will still call with 22 and you have bloated the pot for when they hit their set. And when they miss u bet and they fold and u win 10p extra. Sorry to blab on but hope it helps. Main thing forget about C4P - playing 1 table well is better than playing 12 tables badly.
    Posted by sighcall
    thanks for the post buddy,
    all good points.( and i will take in all that u have said... ty)
    yeah,i know i shouldn't be chasing back money already lost,but i really don't like going to bed 'a loser'  lol
    ( when i first joined sky nearly 3 yrs ago now i was playing nl4 i remember 1 session where i was down the whole time but i said to myself i'm not going to bed a loser tonight.6 hrs later i showed a profit of 1p)  lol;
    see that's just the type of guy i am...and it's not 'all about the money'.
    (oh and it turned out to be one of my most memorable and enjoyable sessions...ever.  lol)
    re playing strong/premium hands;yes i'm going to lower my initial raise p/f to 3x for the next session on all hands,if only to see how that goes.
    i'm finding this whole cash game so interesting as there is just so much more to it than i ever previously imagined.
    i guess it's a bit like a car engine...until it's all put together properly and all the bits are working as one,
    it just gets you nowhere...bit like my poker at the moment...keeps stalling.(just like this old canary yellow ford anglia..bit b4 your time..lol i once owned.)  lol
    cheers buddy
    dev
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: a new year..a new game...CASH..whooops. : thanks for the post buddy, all good points.( and i will take in all that u have said... ty) yeah,i know i shouldn't be chasing back money already lost,but i really don't like going to bed 'a loser'  lol ( when i first joined sky nearly 3 yrs ago now i was playing nl4 i remember 1 session where i was down the whole time but i said to myself i'm not going to bed a loser tonight.6 hrs later i showed a profit of 1p)  lol; see that's just the type of guy i am...and it's not 'all about the money'. (oh and it turned out to be one of my most memorable and enjoyable sessions...ever.  lol) re playing strong/premium hands;yes i'm going to lower my initial raise p/f to 3x for the next session on all hands,if only to see how that goes. i'm finding this whole cash game so interesting as there is just so much more to it than i ever previously imagined. i guess it's a bit like a car engine...until it's all put together properly and all the bits are working as one, it just gets you nowhere...bit like my poker at the moment...keeps stalling.(just like this old canary yellow ford anglia..bit b4 your time..lol i once owned.)  lol cheers buddy :) dev
    Posted by devonfish5

Hi, yeh i know the feeling lol. Feels good when you bring it back and go to bed a winner haha.

Just found more times than not you will end up loosing more, but i guess its player dependant.

Out of interest how many tables are you currently playing?

• edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: a new year..a new game...CASH..whooops. : Hi, yeh i know the feeling lol. Feels good when you bring it back and go to bed a winner haha. Just found more times than not you will end up loosing more, but i guess its player dependant. Out of interest how many tables are you currently playing?
    Posted by sighcall
    hi mate,

'just found out more times than not you will end up losing more,but i guess it's player dependant' ?

this isn't going in mate...could be the time of morning.  lol

played about 9 tables to many i think ,last session.  lol
    been playing 3 or 4 last few sessions b4 playing 9 the other night,
    how 'bout you?
    night
    dev
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: a new year..a new game...CASH..whooops. : hi mate, 'just found out more times than not you will end up losing more,but i guess it's player dependant' ? this isn't going in mate...could be the time of morning.  lol played about 9 tables to many i think ,last session.  lol been playing 3 or 4 last few sessions b4 playing 9 the other night, how 'bout you? night :) dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    lol, I can only play 4 because of my computer! would like to play 6 but oh well.

yeh 9 is quite a lot lol. I personally would find that too hard to make 100% correct decisions.

What I meant by that was that if you are on a loosing session and getting tired/bored/tilted etc you are more likely to go on and loose more than win back you current losses back in that session. Even though it feels good when you do win it back! :)

GL
  • edited March 2013
    Hi Devon,

I thought I'd pop in seen as you're playing low stakes cash now and that has been my game of choice for the majority of the time on Sky.

This isn't meant to sound harsh but I think there's one major flaw in your thinking. Poker is a long term game, and more so than anything else cash poker is 100% about long term decisions. You seem to have real trouble with seeing the long term, and this is going to MASSIVELY affect your profits. It's kinda like when you said in a DYM when you have KK you shove cos you don't want a rag Ace to call you.

Every single time someone calls you with the incorrect odds, you make money, FORGET about the result, I know it's hard but you have to. Ultimately, you win at poker when you make less/smaller mistakes than your opponents.

I know you may have been in a bad place mentally after recent sesions so hopefully you know now how silly the comment was, but to say should you start playing premiums like 66 is just insane!

1. Definitely definitely, step down to like 4 tables absolute maximum. I'd recommend spending an entire month like this at least, focus on knowing that you can beat the games. Playing more tables when you're a losing player, just means you lose ALOT faster. I'm not saying you're a losing player, but you don't know yet.

2. Concentrate on what people show down with, when you did see a showdown, how did they play their bottom pr, how did they play a flopped flush, how did they play a set, etc etc. It will all help to know where you are.

3. Posts hands in the clinic, you've hardly done this at all, and there will be tons of helpful advice.

4. Read Dohhh's guide to micro stakes cash.

5. Probably most important, think about every single decision you make and why you make it (you won't be able to do this 10-tabling at the moment). If you're betting you need to know whether it's because you think you have the best hand and you can get called by worse or you're bluffing and can get better hands than yours to fold. Sometimes, you will think you have the best hand but there is zero point in betting because you will never be called by a worse hand. Don't get in to the habit of just thinking 'I have a good hand, I'll bet'.
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: a new year..a new game...CASH..whooops. : lol, I can only play 4 because of my computer! would like to play 6 but oh well. yeh 9 is quite a lot lol. I personally would find that too hard to make 100% correct decisions. What I meant by that was that if you are on a loosing session and getting tired/bored/tilted etc you are more likely to go on and loose more than win back you current losses back in that session. Even though it feels good when you do win it back! :) GL
    Posted by sighcall
    thanks mate,just didn't get it at 1 in the morning.  lol
    yeah, u r right sometimes got 2 take your losses and get out i guess.
    4 tables is fine playing cash mate.
    i only bought a descent set up to play dym's really as it's basically the more tables u can handle the better.
    be lucky
    dev
  • edited March 2013
    Hi Devon, I thought I'd pop in seen as you're playing low stakes cash now and that has been my game of choice for the majority of the time on Sky. This isn't meant to sound harsh but I think there's one major flaw in your thinking. Poker is a long term game, and more so than anything else cash poker is 100% about long term decisions. You seem to have real trouble with seeing the long term, and this is going to MASSIVELY affect your profits. It's kinda like when you said in a DYM when you have KK you shove cos you don't want a rag Ace to call you. Every single time someone calls you with the incorrect odds, you make money, FORGET about the result, I know it's hard but you have to. Ultimately, you win at poker when you make less/smaller mistakes than your opponents. I know you may have been in a bad place mentally after recent sesions so hopefully you know now how silly the comment was, but to say should you start playing premiums like 66 is just insane! 1. Definitely definitely, step down to like 4 tables absolute maximum. I'd recommend spending an entire month like this at least, focus on knowing that you can beat the games. Playing more tables when you're a losing player, just means you lose ALOT faster. 2. Concentrate on what people show down with, when you did see a showdown, how did they play their bottom pr, how did they play a flopped flush, how did they play a set, etc etc. It will all help to know where you are. 3. Posts hands in the clinic, you've hardly done this at all, and there will be tons of helpful advice. 4. Read Dohhh's guide to micro stakes cash. 5. Probably most important, think about every single decision you make and why you make it (you won't be able to do this 10-tabling at the moment). If you're betting you need to know whether it's because you think you have the best hand and you can get called by worse or you're bluffing and can get better hands than yours to fold. Sometimes, you will think you have the best hand but there is zero point in betting because you will never be called by a worse hand. Don't get in to the habit of just thinking 'I have a good hand, I'll bet'.
    Posted by Lambert180
    hi Paul,
    yes,i got a little carried away and caught up in the moment the other night ...lesson learnt.
    it's still early days playing cash and i know i'm making lots of mistakes,but i guess that it's 2b expected.
    making more detailed notes on players is going 2b my next big target,so thanks for mentioning about that.
    i have been quite disciplined in my play and tables etc, up untill now but i guess having the odd lapse now and again i can be forgiven for,i hope.
    yeah,i'll look for dohhh's guide,don't know where 2 find it but i'll have a look for it.
    just finding there is so much to take in just to be even a 1/2 descent player atm.
    still got £330 to play with so as long as i can stay around that figure and at least not drop too much then i'm happy to carry on TRYING to learn to play cash.
    i'm now thinking maybe i'm going to have to allow myself at least another 3 months or so b4 i even think about either making some kind of  1/2 descent profit profit,or b4 i think enough is enough,(sure there's a song there somewhere),and start to think about quitting and going back to playing dym's...again.
    but that is the last thing i am thinking about right now.
    again,what u say about thinking about the 'long term' in poker and not my results here and now is true.
    (but it's easier said than done,as u say...but i am trying to see 'the big picture'...honest.)
    that was my original reason for returning to playing cash this year...the long term.
    i'm out of my comfort zone atm where as playing dym's all last year i was at home shall we say.,but it is becoming easier,day by day,so that's at least of some comfort and hope for me.
    it's like a giant 10,000 piece jigsaw puzzle to me,and i'm simply getting the outside pieces in place atm.  lol
    then comes the tricky bit...filling in the middle.  lol
    best wishes with your game Paul.
    (* *)
       ^
    dev

• edited March 2013
    "so my point is this; is it really worth playing premium hands?"

If you are incapable of folding them when all the signs are your beat, then yes fold pre

Dont blame the hands, when its your play thats the problem.
  • edited March 2013
    "so my point is this; is it really worth playing premium hands?" If you are incapable of folding them when all the signs are your beat, then yes fold pre Dont blame the hands, when its your play thats the problem.
    Posted by calcalfold
    thats a fair point calcalfold,
    and i'll let u have that one.

(* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited March 2013
    Hey Pal,

Sorry I haven't posted in an age.
    Just wishing you the best of luck with this.
    Don't play cash so cant give any real advice on how or what to do.

Pat
  • edited March 2013
    Yip, blunt but trying to help, thats me
  • edited March 2013
    Hey Pal, Sorry I haven't posted in an age. Just wishing you the best of luck with this. Don't play cash so cant give any real advice on how or what to do. Pat
    Posted by day4eire76
    that makes 2 of us Pat  ha ha

thanks buddy
    dev
  • edited March 2013
    Yip, blunt but trying to help, thats me
    Posted by calcalfold
    i know mate.. no worries.
    just could have maybe worded it better.
    just taken a few bad beats playing them,that's all.
    best wishes:)
    dev
  • edited March 2013
    Of course the other option is open shove them on the really loose tables. That sometimes works, not going to stack anybody competent, buts its 4nl so you might get some action. Of course I am meaning KK/AA rather than AK/AKs

All the best

• edited March 2013
    Of course the other option is open shove them on the really loose tables. That sometimes works, not going to stack anybody competent, buts its 4nl so you might get some action. Of course I am meaning KK/AA rather than AK/AKs All the best
    Posted by calcalfold
    yeah,cheers bud.
    dev

Wednesday  20/3/13

played £100 gtd deep stack for £1.10
    finished 20 odd i think..just outside the money.

nl4  1 table  won £7.12  hooooray.

b/roll 312.46  (down £19.36 this year.)

c4p  560 = £4.48 to come

back to basics tonight.
    happy to drop down levels and tables,if it means stopping the rot.
    better to win £7 than lose £40  lol

used DOHHHH'S nl 4 guide notes,which seemed to work well.(so again...thank you DOHHHH)
    could have just been beginners luck though,but will find out over next few days,i guess.  lol
    going to continue with the slowly slowly approach,just need to keep my discipline under control...this time.  lol

that's all for now
    best wishes everyone
    dev
  • edited March 2013
    thursday  21/3/13

came 5/132 in gtd £100 deepstack   hoooray

won £9.11 (-£1.10 entry)

profit £8.01

also played  4 tables nl4  lost £3.59

total won £4.42

b/roll  £316.88 (down £14.94 this year)

didn't play so well tonight playing 4 tables.
    also got distracted by deepstack tournament and chatting on 1 table,which isn't optimum play.
    but hey,it's not like i do it every night.(so i'll let it go tonight.)

messed up a KK hand,i think.
    i'll post it in the clinic.
    still quite happy with another nights win,so no complaints.

night all.
    be lucky
    dev

• edited March 2013
    friday  22/3/13

eventfull night...

£100 gtd deepstack -£1.10

£500 b/hunter +£3.82 (inc -£2.30)

=+£2.72

cash nl4 2 tables  won £10.55

total won £13.27

b/roll £330.15 (down £1.67 this year)

c4p 624 = £4.99 to come

happy with result.nearly back to level...again.
    hope to continue playing nl4 for the time being,as it seems my game is more under control,ie;not getting the big swings,mainly losses playing nl10
    happy with cash in b/hunter too,as i've not cashed in one before,from memory.

did lose a £12+ allin  v loose player.aipf with AK suited opponent had AA aaaagh
    but apart from that...all ok

night all
    have a good w'end
    dev
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: a new year..a new game...CASH..back on track!!!:
    friday  22/3/13 eventfull night... £100 gtd deepstack -£1.10 £500 b/hunter +£3.82 (inc -£2.30) =+£2.72 cash nl4 2 tables  won £10.55 total won £13.27 b/roll £330.15 (down £1.67 this year) c4p 624 = £4.99 to come happy with result.nearly back to level...again. hope to continue playing nl4 for the time being,as it seems my game is more under control,ie;not getting the big swings,mainly losses playing nl10 happy with cash in b/hunter too,as i've not cashed in one before,from memory. did lose a £12+ allin  v loose player.aipf with AK suited opponent had AA aaaagh but apart from that...all ok night all have a good w'end :) dev
    Posted by devonfish5

WD Dev mate nice to see those profits adding to the br

Still think your easily good enough for 10nl though mate but if your more comfortable playing 4nl for the mo that is the right thing to do

Best of luck

Daz
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: a new year..a new game...CASH..back on track!!!:
    In Response to Re: a new year..a new game...CASH..back on track!!! : WD Dev mate nice to see those profits adding to the br Still think your easily good enough for 10nl though mate but if your more comfortable playing 4nl for the mo that is the right thing to do Best of luck Daz
    Posted by _ARAZI_
    thanks mate,
    yeah,i'm sure it's a confidence thing as much as anything,but tbh there are some sharks playing at nl10,as i guess there are at all levels,so i feel more comfortable playing nl4 atm,and it's better to be winning a little than possibly losing alot.
    i have been selective with my table selection tonight,and only playing the 2 tables,i was fully focussed unlike last night where i made a number of basic mistakes playing 4,so deffo think that helped.
    best wishes Daz,
    run good
    dev
  • edited March 2013
    my biggest loss of the night and the only one over £3
    got it aipf v v loose player...just so happens he had AA this time.  aaaagh
     £0.04 £0.04 £6.62
     Your hole cards
    • A
    • K

xCall  £0.04 £0.08 £7.33