You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

£1050 to £2050 challenge/// Diary of a HUSNG Hyper grinder// Current Balance: £1230.2

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Yo benc, first post on the thread. It's good to see a HU turbo sng diary, that's how my own started over a year ago now.

What's the thinking behind the cbet overjam in the hand above? 

Looks like a standard situation to just cbet a standard size and set up a turn shove no matter what comes?

Searched you out the other day because having played thousands of these games myself I thought I must have played you, but had no mental notes, and it turned out I had no notes written down either.

Strange, maybe I've somehow dodged you! 

Good luck with turning the downswing round!

• edited January 2013
    HU SnGs can be beastly. There's nothing that feels more dirty than getting it in good over and over and losing. Even if you're only a 60/40, you'd think you'd win some... right? lol.

Keep plugging away, sometimes when things are going like this it's a good idea to make your sessions a bit shorter, lock up some winning sessions (can be hard when you just can't win a game) and try to stay tilt-proof!

I'm giving the HU games a rest for a little bit so you've lost some easy money there ;)

Good Luck
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: HUSNG challenge/diary an insight into turbo and hyper grinding:
    Yo benc, first post on the thread. It's good to see a HU turbo sng diary, that's how my own started over a year ago now. What's the thinking behind the cbet overjam in the hand above?  Looks like a standard situation to just cbet a standard size and set up a turn shove no matter what comes? Searched you out the other day because having played thousands of these games myself I thought I must have played you, but had no mental notes, and it turned out I had no notes written down either. Strange, maybe I've somehow dodged you!  Good luck with turning the downswing round!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Yeah i have kept an eye on your diary since i started taking an interest in the forum a but more, an entertaining read. Basically posted that hand as i think its something that has sneaked into my game during this downswing, shoving my stack in and not really thinking it through, just playing scared of being outdrawn i think. Villain liked to call down with anything and everything and i probably just shoved thinking he will call with any of the board/p maybe put me on a flush draw with a random shove, and if he folds ive taken another pot down which is almost a relief lately when i flop top pair, which is a horrible way of thinking i know. Just going to keep reviewing and trying to improve and i know the positive results will come, at least it makes for entertaining reading. GL and run good. P.S yeah i dont think we have met at the tables, probably done my upmost to avoid you, im sure we will meet soon.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: HUSNG challenge/diary an insight into turbo and hyper grinding:
    HU SnGs can be beastly. There's nothing that feels more dirty than getting it in good over and over and losing. Even if you're only a 60/40, you'd think you'd win some... right? lol. Keep plugging away, sometimes when things are going like this it's a good idea to make your sessions a bit shorter, lock up some winning sessions (can be hard when you just can't win a game) and try to stay tilt-proof! I'm giving the HU games a rest for a little bit so you've lost some easy money there ;) Good Luck
    Posted by Lambert180
    lol that second sentence just about sums it up, yeah i'm going to have a break tonight and only play maybe a couple of hours tomorrow evening. Thanks for the advice and good luck hope to see you crushing some more mtts in the next few weeks.
  • edited January 2013
    West ham game was atrocious would of been nice to see us have a proper go but i suppose saturdays game is more important. After a bit of thinking i have decided to scrap continuously writing about number of games , average profit etc the information will still be available to me as it is in my excel sheet and ill maybe post a review every 500 games or something along them lines, its too tilting seeing it drop up and down and it probably making me become too results oriented.

So i will still write about my sessions and state just the profit/loss for that session, my overall bankroll and my c4points. As a recreational player i want to make sure i am enjoying myself when i play poker as it is just a hobby afterall. I have decided to implement a £25 stoploss where if i hit a loss of that amount i have to take a break of at least two hours, im hoping this will help to ensure tilting doesn' turn a bad session into a terrible session.

Decided to play an MTT tonight due to boredom ( i'm clearly a degen who cant stay off for more than a few hours) and will maybe play a couple of micro HU on the side, i'll update a bit later.
  • edited January 2013
    Played some £2.10 games really enjoyed the session, initially was in minivew against some randoms then ended up one tabling as i got chatting to pokerfail ended up playing him a few times which was fun as he is a very capable player so i was able to mix it up a bit more than i would expect at 2.10s. anyway overall i ended up +£2.40, a small winning heads up session! lol whilst playing them i had an idea of a challenge to set myself which should be quite enjoyable and help me regain some confidence.

Right so i have decided to set myself the challenge of earning £10 at £1.10, £20 at 2.10, then £30 at 3.15s before i go back to grinding as normal on the 5s, i will be playing any type of HU at each level starting at 1.10 then when i reach target i move up to the next level and then the next level. I'm basically doing this for a bit of fun and have no idea how long it will take. i will post how many games it took me if/after i have reached the target rather than giving a running commentary, i will just update after each session saying how much ive made/loss in regards to the target.

Bankroll: £382.94 C4p:£49.73

• edited January 2013
    Had a quick hour at the £1.05s to see if i could gain a little headway,first thing i noticed the players dont like folding preflop so i altered my bet sizing a little, anyway i'm very confident in my game against players that are playing way to many hands then having no idea what to do post flop so i'm hoping i can fly through the 1.05s quickly.

Anyway another short winning session two in a row probably some sort of record in this diary lol

£1.05-Target £10/current=+£3.40

Bankroll: £386.34 C4p:£49.90
  • edited January 2013
    Was a fun little HU session, will have to do it again sometime :)

I scoped us and it turns out we had played one £3.15 game on february 15th last year... I won :P

Although you've been running bad recently, it's a tiny blip in your overall graph, so hurry up and crush those lower stakes and get back to your £5.25s!

• edited January 2013
    Quick update been busy today so didn't have any session in the afternoon. Started at about 6 o clock and hit my target for the £1.05 level, mixed up hypers and turbos playing 2-3 tables ended up at £11.65 as i won my last two games and checked the accumulated total after and realised i had gone above.

£1.05 HU/ £10 Target/ Current =
    £11.65.- completed in 27 games

A summary of the 1.05 level level, firstly my hands were holding up and i wasnt card dead which made flying through this level alot easier. After going over a few more of the bigger pots i lost in my 5.25s session i noticed a couple of small things that needed altering, essentially just got back to basics and i think playing this level has helped me with that. Anyway onto the 2.10s!
  • edited January 2013
    Managed to dig myself a bit of a hole in the 2.10s, not quite sure how will have a look in a min through some hands wudnt say the standard is any different from the 1s i think i just ran particularly good to get past that level so quickly.  Anyway i'm going home for the weekend (at my uni house atm) so not sure if or when ill get a chance to play/update, i'll do my best not to just dive back into the 5s although i have already had the urge to just forget the challenge and dive into the bigger games, my poker discipline is pretty awful, have even more respect for garyQQQ than i already did lol, although i can just about stop myself diving into cash games still which is one positive as i'd probably lose my bankroll in about 5minutes.
  • edited January 2013
    Hey m8,very good read so far.Had a wee game earlier with you,got lucky in a big pot with you,but thats the nature of hypers.Would,ve generally offered a rematch,but tryin to keep the kid in his new bed atm,so havin to go back and forth when he gets up to put him back in,grrr!!Keep it goin and I'm sure we'll get a few more games in the future.
    Cheers
    Paul
  • edited January 2013
    Thanks bignoise dont remember the specific hand but thought i recognized the name from the forum, will look out for you in future.

Just jumped into some 5s after packing up for tomorrow clearly cudn't resist for more than 24 hours. Just going to carry on as i usually would and updating every so often, posting some interesting spots and generally discussing poker. I have got the mental game of poker pdf on my laptop so i should really get on with reading that, the sections i have read so far seems really useful but havnt looked at it since before xmasm hopefully after reading that my diary will not just be me constantly moaning about variance.

Anyway good luck and run good (except if you play me)
  • edited January 2013
    One thing I would say... I know it's hard and I don't take my own advice on this point ALL the time, but try not to hide away from your losses. Sometimes just posting them up is a sobering lesson.

Since my diary my BR has went from £15 - £800 and everything in between, plenty of ups and PLENTY of downs. If nothing else, it'll be something good to look back on when you realise at one point you were £100 down and a month later you're £100 up
  • edited January 2013
    Yep i completly agree, i keep track of every game from every session on my excel sheet so wont even be able to hide from my losses even if i wanted too lol. I will continue to update honestly about my sessions actually find it quite refreshing to vent about losing sessions maybe get advice/encouragement. I'm still a novice in terms of experience in HU so i have a lot to learn so im well aware the diary will show me up as inexperienced, undisciplined etc and am not worried about posting losing sessions, When i got some time to play i'll be posting my bankroll and cash for points so everyone will be able to see when it goes up and down hopefully up alot more than down.
  • edited January 2013
    Interesting diary, what I dont get is given your scope stats why are you playing £2 games surely that must be soul destroying if you know you can crush higher levels, we all go through variance but my way of dealing with it is switch disciplines ie sngs to cash or cash to mtts. 

I noticed that you started playing hypers when you run good you fly on these, but run bad and neg variance is a killer. You should play £5 turbos, they are soft and its easy to 2 table. If you are going to seriously grind, then it makes sense to look at how to optimise c4p. You could easily get an extra £100 plus each month purely by playing 5rs, that also helps even out variance. 18 months ago I was playing 10 quid hypers and qualifying for priority on these alone. 

gl.
  • edited January 2013
    Interesting diary, what I dont get is given your scope stats why are you playing £2 games surely that must be soul destroying if you know you can crush higher levels, we all go through variance but my way of dealing with it is switch disciplines ie sngs to cash or cash to mtts.  I noticed that you started playing hypers when you run good you fly on these, but run bad and neg variance is a killer. You should play £5 turbos, they are soft and its easy to 2 table. If you are going to seriously grind, then it makes sense to look at how to optimise c4p. You could easily get an extra £100 plus each month purely by playing 5rs, that also helps even out variance. 18 months ago I was playing 10 quid hypers and qualifying for priority on these alone.  gl.
    Posted by ACEGOONER
    Hi Ace , i played some 1s and 2s just because i thought it would help me get back to basics and regain some confidence never planned on sticking to them permenantly. I am going to be getting back to grinding the 5s mainly and dealing with the negative variance by having a stop loss.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: HUSNG challenge/diary an insight into turbo and hyper grinding : Hi Ace , i played some 1s and 2s just because i thought it would help me get back to basics and regain some confidence never planned on sticking to them permenantly. I am going to be getting back to grinding the 5s mainly and dealing with the negative variance by having a stop loss.
    Posted by benc
    Here is a list of things I do when I play hu:

1) Use scope to check stats it costs around £10 quid a month and you get 150 searches, you could be playing an absolute shark and not realise it without scope. There vare very few players with your stats you should be afraid of.
    2) Keep notes on all the opponents you play regularly, look out for betting patterns, are they passive, agg etc. A lot of players always bet into paired flops, at turbos you can exploit this even if you miss. 
    3) If your br is lower, always play turbos over hypers. With hypers you can play perfectly and lose 10 buyins. 
    4) A lot of players limp call with premium hands, be aware of your opponents tendancies when the blinds get bigger.
    5) Take a look at the nash chart for shoving and calling ranges. I dont think you should follow it strictly but it will give you an idea of what to do depending on how many bb's you got. 

You are a good player, and I am surprised you have confidence issues, when I got a bit cheeky in chat with you a few months ago you took it well and it didnt affect your game. I am not sure about your current work/br situation but I am happy to start playing turbos with £50 deposited, totally against brm rules but have managed to spin this amount up into the hundreds even thousands on more than one occasion. 

As I said in my previous post, try to vary your poker, mtt's are fun and for a few quid there are now tournies where you can win over £100. It will take away the monotony of sngs. It drove me nuts to play 2000 of these a month and almost forced me to learn how to play cash and mtts. 

• edited January 2013
    Thanks Ace that is a great post with some good advice, I'm a student so obviously i have alot more free time than people doing 9-5 jobs, however i also have to balance my course workload so always consider poker as an enjoyable hobby that can also provide me with money to do nice things that maybe i wudnt normally be able to do as a student. I have looked over the nash stuff after lambert mentioned it a while ago and have improved in knowing what hands i should be getting in with a smalls stack. So yeah i'm not a grinder in the sense that i have the pressure of making a living, but i do like to take it seriously almost like a part time job, always use my scope searches up so may well go ahead and sort that out.

Going to be playing 5.25s sporadically throughout the day unless i end up doing anything, so will update at the end of the day with total for the day, current bankroll and cash for points.
  • edited January 2013
    Hit my stop loss so going to have a break for few hours, actually ended up down to -£34.25 for the session as i two tabled and lost them both, the last two games were rather frustrating played this massively agressive guy who 3bet me constantly so stayed patient got it in with kq against k7 and it was a split, then i picked up qs thinking i've got the majority of the junk he will callw ith crushed and he picks up AK he wins flip cant complain about that, then in the second game i pick up AK he shoves into me with 56 obv call and he hit a straight. Hopefully if i continue to get it in good things will turn around but i feel a bit like i'm stuck in a bit of a rut at the moment.

Will post a hand in a minute that was probably only spot i was unsure about my decision, be interesting to here some thoughts, the player didn't make many moves at all during the game and was pretty standard, knows what he is doing but not someone who i expect to put me in awkward spots often.
  • edited January 2013
    Ok so my thinking was i check turn so i can call whatever river bet, then when the river came i wasn't sure what i was beating and whether he was ever capable of bluffing- info about player is at the end above post btw..

Hand History #611741679 (13:50 19/01/2013)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    benc Small blind   10.00 10.00 1010.00
    x
    Big blind   20.00 30.00 960.00
      Your hole cards

benc Raise   30.00 60.00 980.00
    x
    Call   20.00 80.00 940.00
    Flop

• Q

x
    Check        
    benc Bet   40.00 120.00 940.00
    x
    Call   40.00 160.00 900.00
    Turn

x
    Check        
    benc Check        
    River

x
    Bet 80
  • edited January 2013
    messed up the hand post so just added in his bet.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: HUSNG challenge/diary an insight into turbo and hyper grinding : Here is a list of things I do when I play hu: 1) Use scope to check stats it costs around £10 quid a month and you get 150 searches, you could be playing an absolute shark and not realise it without scope. There vare very few players with your stats you should be afraid of. 2) Keep notes on all the opponents you play regularly, look out for betting patterns, are they passive, agg etc. A lot of players always bet into paired flops, at turbos you can exploit this even if you miss.  3) If your br is lower, always play turbos over hypers. With hypers you can play perfectly and lose 10 buyins.  4) A lot of players limp call with premium hands, be aware of your opponents tendancies when the blinds get bigger. 5) Take a look at the nash chart for shoving and calling ranges. I dont think you should follow it strictly but it will give you an idea of what to do depending on how many bb's you got.  You are a good player, and I am surprised you have confidence issues, when I got a bit cheeky in chat with you a few months ago you took it well and it didnt affect your game. I am not sure about your current work/br situation but I am happy to start playing turbos with £50 deposited, totally against brm rules but have managed to spin this amount up into the hundreds even thousands on more than one occasion.  As I said in my previous post, try to vary your poker, mtt's are fun and for a few quid there are now tournies where you can win over £100. It will take away the monotony of sngs. It drove me nuts to play 2000 of these a month and almost forced me to learn how to play cash and mtts. 
    Posted by ACEGOONER
    spin it up to thousands hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • edited January 2013
    Wow Gooner... Chillies comment made me SS you (never done it before), deffo thought youd have a + ROI, even though it is only a tiny minus ROI and youve probably broke even/up from C4P after 22k games.
  • edited January 2013
    yeah I had to ss too after that comment. I take it the thousands you have spun up on numerous occasions is on another site.

however it's easy for chillie to make comments like that when his stats are locked lol
  • edited January 2013
    yeah I had to ss too after that comment. I take it the thousands you have spun up on numerous occasions is on another site. however it's easy for chillie to make comments like that when his stats are locked lol
    Posted by waller02
    +1 and always have been;]
  • edited January 2013
    Going to play the £400 £2.20 mtt, then will be back on HU form like 8 onwards i reckon. I locked my results for a while when i never use to track myself not because i was down, just because i used to get obsessed with checking it after like every 2 games lol
  • edited January 2013
    gl in your quest benc,run good and avoid those bad beats as u prob no by now happen a lot on hypers.
  • edited January 2013
    Thanks chillie, avoiding hypers for the moment but still running into alot of bad beats.at the turbos but it'll turn around. Already busted one buy in, rebought and thats my lot if i go out.
  • edited January 2013
    gl in your quest benc,run good and avoid those bad beats as u prob no by now happen a lot on hypers.
    Posted by CHILLIE
    Mainly from you giving them out shoving k8 when im obv pot committed and hitting 2 pair v my aces... wp
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: HUSNG challenge/diary an insight into turbo and hyper grinding : spin it up to thousands hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Posted by CHILLIE
    As you chose to comment on what you perceive my stats to be, why dont you unlock yours??

If you analyse closely the first 5k or soo games involved 2k profit. If you look at how much c4p has been earnt despite a downswing in the back end of 2011, its still thousands in profit. Last year was about $800 dollars profit plus c4p. I would suggest you pay for scope before you mouth off in future. 

For someone who opens 4/5 xbb in a hyper or open shoves 50bb I dont think you are in a position to comment on others.