You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

£1050 to £2050 challenge/// Diary of a HUSNG Hyper grinder// Current Balance: £1230.2

Comments

• edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: HUSNG diary -1000 games at 5.25 turbos.:
    Hey Ryan i understand where your coming from, i said something similar to sighcall when he mentioned my roll- basically i am not used to having such a roll having always been one to withdraw alot. I only really started to grind alot and make some decent profit since like october so i still feel a bit of a novice in terms of experience and knowledge of the game.  At the moment i want to continue to build my roll in a game i'm comfortable in and can enjoy  as a hobby without any pressure/worries about a large downswing, as i haver alot of uni work which takes priority. I mentioned i will still continue to play the odd bit of cash and mtt when i fancy a change but only on the odd occasion as i know my game needs some work in 6max. I would love to buy in to the big tournaments, but i find it difficult even with my roll to justify buying into them when i think of how that money could be spent on like a couple of weeks shopping or something, which i'm well aware should be completly seperate from my roll but as a student who lived on a pretty tight budget for my first two years its pretty hard to seperate myself from reality with regards to playing higher up, i hope to eventually move up but i have plenty of time on my side luckily lol.
    Posted by benc
    Fair enough. Im also a uni student. I guess time is never a problem for you with these Hu games then. Finding a balance at uni is difficult I think - balancing the money and the work. I keep the money completely seperate and try to look at my roll as a savings account. I take some out here and there but try to leave as much in sky as possible. I think 6 max is the easiest form of poker. It is just 9 handed but the first 3 players in ep have folded. Your level of aggression from Hu games would probably enable you to develop a good solid game. + there is soooo much value in the main's your missing out on lol
  • edited February 2013
     Just looked at your scope nice graph! teach me how to play mtts and i will happily play the mains all the time lol i will be trying to sat into the bigger tournaments so maybe we will meet at the tables at some point in the future.
  • edited February 2013
    To be fair, I think what you're doing is fine. Ok so you got 200BIs but you could easily go on a 20BI downswing no problem, and ok that won't put a huge dent in your roll but that's exactly what you want. You want to be able to take a downswing on the chin and say 'ok I'll play through it' and not be too badly affected mentally because a downswing will come no matter how good you are. Sure losing £105 (20BIs) is gonna suck at any stage but it sucks ALOT more when you're roll is £500. Plus I don't think you've ever put serious volume in @ £5s have you? Personally I don't think the standard is any different from 3s but that doesn't mean you will mentally react the same to lose 5 in a row @ £5s the same as you would losing 5 in a row @ £3s. Tbh it sounds like you're mentally on top of things (although it's alot easier when things are going well) so the above might not be an issue but imo caution and winning less than possible is better than losing more than necessary. Playing 1000 games aint gonna take you that long so it's not like you're massively stunting your growth. If you get 500 games in and feel comfortable then you can always play 1 x £5 and 1x £10 assuming that you usually play 2 tables.
    Posted by Lambert180
    I have put some decent volume in at 5s between october and december but since the diary started ive just switched between stakes and structure which i dont want to be doing.
    The bit in red is one of the main reasons i chose 5s instead of 10s, even though technically i think i'm good enough to play the 10s i still find it difficult mentally still to lose a load in a row, i want to eventually overcome that, but at the moment i want to be playing comfortable and without pressure as with uni work being stressfull coming on and losing £100 in a standard session just not what i need from my hobby lol. Btw i am just about to send you a pm.
  • edited February 2013
    Play sats everytime your playing if you dont get in stick to turbos. How can you lose your roll? You cant lol
  • edited February 2013
    Well as has become standard in this diary here i'm here to show myself up as a complete hypocrite, one day i'm saying that i want to get through 1000 games at £5.25 turbos stating how i can't mentally handle the swings higher up, then a couple of days later i'm flying through some £21 hypers where the variance is crazy and i could easily lose £100 in an hour. Now on this occasion i wasn't tilted or steaming, i'm not even quite sure how or why i ended up playing them but i think it has something to do with wanting to feel a bit of a buzz. I didn't have any bad losses or big wins i just scoped myself for £21 games all of which were yesterday and i made 2bi so that could of gone alot worse, i managed to rematch a guy a few times who didn't seem to have much of an idea and would stack off post flop with any high card or pair so that was fun, the standard was suprisingly shocking apart from one very good player who i know does very well, was nice to beat him but he managed to get me back later on. Overall for the weekend i think i ended around breakeven somehow even though i was also in profit in the 5s, i lost some money on sattelites, and hu/normal cash which must have evened out the profit from HU games. Anyway i have no idea what games i will be playing for the moment i guess whatever takes my fancy when i log in. I like to post honestly and i don't feel like the diary is really going anywhere at the moment now i have given up yet another challenge, so i think i'll probably leave it for the moment maybe hunt it down and update if anything exciting happens or i have a big swing either way in my bankroll. Good luck at the tables all who have continued to read my ramblings.
  • edited February 2013
    Well as has become standard in this diary here i'm here to show myself up as a complete hypocrite, one day i'm saying that i want to get through 1000 games at £5.25 turbos stating how i can't mentally handle the swings higher up, then a couple of days later i'm flying through some £21 hypers where the variance is crazy and i could easily lose £100 in an hour. Now on this occasion i wasn't tilted or steaming, i'm not even quite sure how or why i ended up playing them but i think it has something to do with wanting to feel a bit of a buzz. I didn't have any bad losses or big wins i just scoped myself for £21 games all of which were yesterday and i made 2bi so that could of gone alot worse, i managed to rematch a guy a few times who didn't seem to have much of an idea and would stack off post flop with any high card or pair so that was fun, the standard was suprisingly shocking apart from one very good player who i know does very well, was nice to beat him but he managed to get me back later on. Overall for the weekend i think i ended around breakeven somehow even though i was also in profit in the 5s, i lost some money on sattelites, and hu/normal cash which must have evened out the profit from HU games. Anyway i have no idea what games i will be playing for the moment i guess whatever takes my fancy when i log in. I like to post honestly and i don't feel like the diary is really going anywhere at the moment now i have given up yet another challenge, so i think i'll probably leave it for the moment maybe hunt it down and update if anything exciting happens or i have a big swing either way in my bankroll. Good luck at the tables all who have continued to read my ramblings.
    Posted by benc
    or in 10 minutes*

What are your plans then? I think it sometimes feels like it's going no-where if you aint aiming for anything.

Do you still enjoy playing HU SnGs or is it only fun when you're winning?
  • edited February 2013
    I don't really have any plans at the moment, i still enjoy playing HU sngs alot more than any other type of game especially when i'm up against someone who will test me a little bit. I will be carrying on playing HU just as i have been, it's just there is not much to write about that is worth a read and i can't seem to stick to one structure or stake, i swore i wudn't touch hypers again and within a week and a few days i'm playing them so obviously discipline is a massive problem. I considered withdrawing down to a small sum and building up again but i know i would regret it and i definetly would not deposit it back once i saw it in my bank account. I might start withdrawing a set amount a week say like £30 then i at least have a target to set myself to make sure  my bankroll is maintained and i get to actually to see some reward from all the grinding i do apart from just seeing numbers go up on my balance.
  • edited February 2013
    Hellllo, thought i would give a quick update of yesterday as have just been moaning lately and it doesn't make for good reading but i'd liek to keep updating this as i think i'll enjoy reading back in the future. i had been donking around in aload of hypers at the 21level which was fun but i think i would go broke very soon if i did that on a constant basis lol decided to buy in for the £33bh and the mini, was going really well in the main managed to get two bounties earlish and had a very nice stack and was in the top 15 but then i made a big mistake. A guy who seemed pretty clueless minraised utg when blinds were 50-100, next guy to act makes it 500 he had been fairly active i saw QQ on the button and without a moments hesistation just shipped it in as soon as i did that i regretted it ("why would that guy 3bet the donk in such an ugly position must be an absolute monster"), donk utg folded the guy who 3bet tanked the timer right down so i started to feel a little better thinking maybe i might be ok and it will be 10s,JS,AK but then he made the call and it was KK arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh, but when i looked in the chatbox i saw he had typed AA so i was well aware it wasn't a slowroll just a good player who is well aware that a 4bet shove is AA so often. Anyway so that was that as we both had big stacks, i maybe could of just put in a 4bet raise to fold but even then i don't think i'm ever actually folding when he shoves. The two bounties paid for some of the buy in though, the mini i can't actually remember what i went out on but it was probably something terrible post going out of the main. So for now i have withdrawn down to £1000 so i can treat myself to something not quite sure yet i have a few buddhas so i might get a hench one to add to the collection and see if i can get to a west ham game soon, i used to be a season ticket holder and really miss going over most saturdays.

apologies for the long post if you got bored and skipped to the end to summarize.. for the moment bankroll is at the 1k mark and i will be playing the turbos mainly with the odd hyper mixed in and some mtts and cash when i feel on my game.
  • edited February 2013
    Don't think you should ever be 4bet/folding QQ tbh. Also if the donk is UTG, he could easily 3bet him just cos he's in position against him and thinks he can take it off him, especially if he's an active player. I wouldn't say for definite without seeing stacks etc but tbh that £33 BH is such a crapshoot in terms of how quickly the stacks get stupidly shallow that you'd need a seriously good reason to lay down QQ pre.

To make things a bit less poker related...

1. Favourite Film? (I know it's tough)

2. Favourite Book?

3. What footy team do you support?
  • edited February 2013
    Yeah it was the first time i had played for £33 so i wasn't sure of the standard, i mean apart from the obvious guy UTG playing terribly everyone else seemed pretty standard, maybe i'm just overcomplicating it afterwards if i go out to a cooler and having unrealistic expectations of playing absolutely perfectly, i mean i could of just nitted up and folded Qs if i had given myself longer to think before shipping and kept grinding away but that isn't my style and i guess i'll never win a tournament if i avoid marginalish situations.

1) This is england is a great film had to study it in media at A level and really enjoyed it, tv spin off not so good but still a decent watch.

2) I dont actually read that much apart from psychology journals every so often and whatever book related work im assigned, i read one flew over the cuckoos nest when i did english lit at A level and i enjoyed that so i guess i would say that is my favourite book.

3) West Ham are my team have been since i was old enough to be taken to upton park by my dad, had a season ticket for years untill i was like 18, have been to three playoff finals and the famous 2006 cup final which was amazing, still bitter about gerrards goal in the last few minutes costing us but was still a magical game to be at.

How about you? havn't seen much related to football in what i have read in your diary..
  • edited February 2013
    1) American History X

2) Shogun by James Clavell. Also love 1984

3) Everton, the only team a proper scouser supports ;)
  • edited February 2013
    lol wasn't aware you were a scouser got a decent chance of champions league this year, never read either of them books, american history x is a great film the bit where he gets him to open his mouth on the kerb and stamps on his head always gives me the chills though, that guy is great in fightclub as well.
  • edited February 2013
    20 Feb '13 at 17:55 Poker £200 Guaranteed £70.35 £0.00 Internet Hand History
    Just finished a 3 hour slog in the 6pm £5.50 and took it down =], i may be wrong but apart from the HU shuffle i dont think i have taken down an mtt since i started the diary a few 2nds and final tables, but finally a victory which is good to get out the way.
    I felt i was on top of my game early on patiently picking good spots and i made one call which i was happy with which i will post in a minute, Hu was against a very good player, i had a 3/1 chip lead at the start and he got even quite quickly, then i got the lead again with a well timed bluff before getting nearly even again. Then i got lucky when i made a play that pretty much won me the game, basically the player had been minraising almost every big blinding so i was jamming over the top alot, ended up getting in q2 against k10 and hit the 2 on the turn always nice to win when i'm a slight underdog and then i won a standard all in with JJ against Ax to win the game. So i'm very happy with that result, only played about 4 HU games previous to the mtt and was on a little profit, probably helped me to play better coming into the tournament fresh without having played for hours and hopefully will increase my confidence in buying in to mtts on a regular basis when i feel i'm playing well.
  • edited February 2013
    Making this call was a very close decision as it would of left me without much of a stack, i timed right down when making the decision but my instincts were screaming to call based onthe board texture and an incredibly quick call on the flop by the villain which made me feel like a draw was more plausible than a made hand, similarly the check back on the turn doesn't suggest any kind of made hand, finally the shove screamed desperation to win the pot. Ignore the bet sizing pre i think it's too early to be minraising i'm not sure why i did it, would normally be 2.5 or 3x so i may have misjudged the blinds.
    x
    Small blind   25.00 25.00 2787.50
    shazbats Big blind   50.00 75.00 1825.00
      Your hole cards

benc Raise   100.00 175.00 3010.00
    DivsDreams Fold        
    kettle9930 Fold        
    Preston308 Fold        
    x
    Call   75.00 250.00 2712.50
    x
    Call   50.00 300.00 1775.00
    Flop

• Q

x
    Check        
    x
    Check        
    benc Bet   200.00 500.00 2810.00
    x
    Fold        
    x
    Call   200.00 700.00 1575.00
    Turn

x
    Check        
    benc Check        
    River

x
    All-in   1575.00 2275.00 0.00
    benc Call   1575.00 3850.00 1235.00
    x
    Show
    • J
    • K

benc Show

benc Win Two Pairs, 10s and 9s 3850.00   5085.00
  • edited February 2013
    x
    Small blind   15.00 15.00 1015.00
    benc Big blind   30.00 45.00 940.00
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • K

x
    Raise   45.00 90.00 970.00
    benc All-in   940.00 1030.00 0.00
    x
    Call   910.00 1940.00 60.00
    x
    Show

benc Show
    • A
    • K

Flop

• K

Turn

River

x
      Two Pairs, 4s and 2s 1940.00   2000.00
  • edited February 2013
    Standard stack off from villain there lol, nothing much to report for today just grinding a little profit HU and enjoying playing opponents like the one above on a regular basis, easy money long term =]
  • edited February 2013
    I have just finished up for the night, the last hour and a half was very swingy. I think i tilted for a little bit maybe because of he hand above and then a couple more similar type hands, i jumped into some hypers as always like a degen when i'm losing, only one 21 though which i managed to take down against a player who i know to be very good at HU. I then got lucky in signing up for a 15.75 standard game and the person being away the whole game so that was some free money, i decided that as i was virtually given that money  i would sign up to a 31.50 game against the same person who i just referred to and have bumped into in hypers 3-4 times now to experience a higher game with the mentality that its only really cost me 15. I got lucky to win the 31.50 jamming a10 over a minraise at 50-100 and flopping an A against JJ, apart from that not many flops were seen which i'm obviously not used too at the level i play, normally its costant OOP stationing and me just patiently waiting for the right value hands.

The game flow/dynamics felt very different to what i'm used to, which means that a badly timed bluff or missed value can be a big difference in the game therefore it feels alot more intense, now this is probably alot to do with my perception of the stakes and i'm sure to the villain it is just super standard. But it's funny in HU how context can really affect your game and how you play, i'm sure if i was playing the exact same player at 2.10 level without any knowledge of the player the game would of felt super standard and thats why i'm trying to test myself against these players every so often so i can tell myself they are not like crazy brilliant players who read your soul HU but just another player whose style be it a very good winning style, you have to adjust to in order to beat. By no means do i think i could beat these guys who make very decent profits long term at the moment, but it is good to know that i can at least hold my own and it is always a confidence booster to win any game above the usual stakes i play.
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: HUSNG diary an insight into heads up grinding:
    I have just finished up for the night, the last hour and a half was very swingy. I think i tilted for a little bit maybe because of he hand above and then a couple more similar type hands, i jumped into some hypers as always like a degen when i'm losing, only one 21 though which i managed to take down against a player who i know to be very good at HU. I then got lucky in signing up for a 15.75 standard game and the person being away the whole game so that was some free money, i decided that as i was virtually given that money  i would sign up to a 31.50 game against the same person who i just referred to and have bumped into in hypers 3-4 times now to experience a higher game with the mentality that its only really cost me 15. I got lucky to win the 31.50 jamming a10 over a minraise at 50-100 and flopping an A against JJ, apart from that not many flops were seen which i'm obviously not used too at the level i play, normally its costant OOP stationing and me just patiently waiting for the right value hands. The game flow/dynamics felt very different to what i'm used to, which means that a badly timed bluff or missed value can be a big difference in the game therefore it feels alot more intense, now this is probably alot to do with my perception of the stakes and i'm sure to the villain it is just super standard. But it's funny in HU how context can really affect your game and how you play, i'm sure if i was playing the exact same player at 2.10 level without any knowledge of the player the game would of felt super standard and thats why i'm trying to test myself against these players every so often so i can tell myself they are not like crazy brilliant players who read your soul HU but just another player whose style be it a very good winning style, you have to adjust to in order to beat. By no means do i think i could beat these guys who make very decent profits long term at the moment, but it is good to know that i can at least hold my own and it is always a confidence booster to win any game above the usual stakes i play.
    Posted by benc
    You make a lot of good points there mate, but i think because its a new and higher level to you, you might be thinking about it more than you should and thats when things become tricky because you start to look for things that are not there. Thats why as i told you before i am building my bankroll up so that when i move up the levels i wont be scared to lose because sometimes playing a new level we can get scared of losing the new amount we are playing for . :)
  • edited February 2013
    Yeah you have great discipline Hothweals, unfortunately i have problems with mine lol luckily i'm rolled enough to not have to worry too much when i take shots, however if you ever see me sat playing one of the top HU guys in the highstakes cash get ojn the chatbox and get me off ha ha!

Playing some 5 aside football today should be fun, played football for a team most of my childhood and miss playing regularly so looking foward to it and it's probably one of the few activities i can do these days without drifting off and thinking about poker.
  • edited February 2013
    Yeah it was the first time i had played for £33 so i wasn't sure of the standard, i mean apart from the obvious guy UTG playing terribly everyone else seemed pretty standard, maybe i'm just overcomplicating it afterwards if i go out to a cooler and having unrealistic expectations of playing absolutely perfectly, i mean i could of just nitted up and folded Qs if i had given myself longer to think before shipping and kept grinding away but that isn't my style and i guess i'll never win a tournament if i avoid marginalish situations. 1) This is england is a great film had to study it in media at A level and really enjoyed it, tv spin off not so good but still a decent watch. 2) I dont actually read that much apart from psychology journals every so often and whatever book related work im assigned, i read one flew over the cuckoos nest when i did english lit at A level and i enjoyed that so i guess i would say that is my favourite book. 3) West Ham are my team have been since i was old enough to be taken to upton park by my dad, had a season ticket for years untill i was like 18, have been to three playoff finals and the famous 2006 cup final which was amazing, still bitter about gerrards goal in the last few minutes costing us but was still a magical game to be at. How about you? havn't seen much related to football in what i have read in your diary..
    Posted by benc
    Hey m8,still reading your thread and still watchin your games but had to lump this in.SOZ LOL
    http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=2006%20fa%20cup%20final%20gerrard%202nd%20goal&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDYQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DwSJSaHDcVYo&ei=_v8PUZ6rKMnD0QXm9oDQBw&usg=AFQjCNHydx1BQxELfcQrm14Dt44ALKeLJw&bvm=bv.41867550
  • edited February 2013
    I'd just advise to be careful with the shot taking. It's funny how the brain works (obviously this doesn't apply to all) but it's SO easy to say to yourself 'I'll just play this £31.50 game and if I lose then it was only profits (or w/e) anyway', you lose that one then think 'well I'll just play 1 more, win that and then I'm pretty much break even and will stop', lose that one and think 'ok definitely just 1 more, I can't lose 3 in a row, just win this one then at least I got half my money back' then boom you're £100 down.

I've done it before, before you play the first game you can swear you will definitely only play 1 regardless of the result but the brain will think of all kinds of excuses to get you to keep going so just be careful.

From what I can see, every time you've took a shot @ £15s, £21s etc it's went well but we all know that sometimes you'll play someone who has literally no clue what they're doing and still get crushed by the deck.
  • edited February 2013
    Thanks for the advice Lambert i do try to follow a more cautious route but as you say the brain can work in funny ways, when you feel hard done by, the best idea always seems to be chasing the loss rather than calling it a night, have started withdrawing again a bit more now so i can't afford to be blowing aload of my roll in one silly night. Maybe i will start posting my roll and c4p again at the end of my sessions, then the threat of having to post a large hummiliating loss will stop me from doing anything stupid (cue me posting a large hummiliating loss later this evening).

5 a side was good, our team had no subs though so 20 minutes was actually tougher than i expected, i jog regularly so managed to last without passing out or playing the goalhanger role. We lost 6-4 to a much better team, It is a regular thing so looking foward to next week already.
  • edited February 2013
    lol Thanks for that bignoise, the moment my childhood dreams were crushed by gerrard.
  • edited February 2013
    First game of the day 5.25, guy plays normally for two mins- loses one very small pot so decides the only option is to go ahead and shove every hand, i think i'm right to call here seeing as he is shoving every single sb? standard river when you get it in against these guys, glad i'm doing the eliminator otherwise i'd already be steaming off on the hypers lol
    x
    Small blind   15.00 15.00 925.00
    benc Big blind   30.00 45.00 1030.00
      Your hole cards
    • A

x
    All-in   925.00 970.00 0.00
    benc Call   910.00 1880.00 120.00
    x
    Show
    • J

benc Show
    • A

Flop

Turn

River

• J

x
    Win Two Pairs, Jacks and 10s 1880.00   1880.00
  • edited February 2013
    First game of the day 5.25, guy plays normally for two mins- loses one very small pot so decides the only option is to go ahead and shove every hand, i think i'm right to call here seeing as he is shoving every single sb? standard river when you get it in against these guys, glad i'm doing the eliminator otherwise i'd already be steaming off on the hypers lol x Small blind   15.00 15.00 925.00 benc Big blind   30.00 45.00 1030.00   Your hole cards A 4       x All-in   925.00 970.00 0.00 benc Call   910.00 1880.00 120.00 x Show J 2       benc Show A 4       Flop     10 10 6       Turn     7       River     J       x Win Two Pairs, Jacks and 10s 1880.00   1880.00
    Posted by benc

Its all about the game types really and the way the range widens depending on the game. For example i feel in a turbo or hper it is the right call however in a standard game with a longer structure i would probably wait for a better spot :)

• edited February 2013
    Yeah i mean i'm way ahead of the average hand i think with him shoving every single sb although i could of maybe tried to wait a little longer, still it was ahead when i go it in so thats the most important thing.

Second hand of eliminator ...... although i have managed to win every all in since to get a near starting stack back lol
    dalek_x Small blind   20.00 20.00 1960.00
    shazmuss Big blind   40.00 60.00 1920.00
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • A

benc Raise   120.00 180.00 1880.00
    Maxk29 Call   120.00 300.00 2020.00
    murphey Fold        
    boroblades Call   120.00 420.00 1800.00
    dalek_x Fold        
    shazmuss Raise   160.00 580.00 1760.00
    benc Raise   400.00 980.00 1480.00
    Maxk29 Fold        
    boroblades Call   400.00 1380.00 1400.00
    shazmuss Call   320.00 1700.00 1440.00
    Flop

• K

shazmuss Check        
    benc All-in   1480.00 3180.00 0.00
    boroblades All-in   1400.00 4580.00 0.00
    shazmuss All-in   1440.00 6020.00 0.00
    benc Unmatched bet   40.00 5980.00 40.00
    shazmuss Show

benc Show
    • A
    • A

boroblades Show
    • J

Turn

River

boroblades Win Straight to the Jack 5900.00   5900.00
    benc Win Two Pairs, Aces and 8s 80.00   120.00
  • edited February 2013
    strange game poker....
    THEROCK573 Small blind   300.00 300.00 2765.00
    GOLDLAND Big blind   600.00 900.00 3550.00
      Your hole cards
    • Q

s2db2dk2ds Fold        
    PSM1 Fold        
    thefoo Fold        
    benc All-in   1800.00 2700.00 0.00
    THEROCK573 Fold        
    GOLDLAND Call   1200.00 3900.00 2350.00
    GOLDLAND Show
    • Q

benc Show
    • Q

Flop

• J

Turn

River

benc Win Two Pairs, 5s and 2s 3900.00   3900.00
  • edited February 2013
    Had a good couple of hours of HU from 11, played someone at 10s who was not great and after beating them twice they jumped into a 21 game so i would of been silly not to take up that opportunity which i won, then i played aload of 5s and it was going well, sadly i had already scheduled the next 5 hours to do c-work which is so annoying after such a good start to the day but it has to be done. Hopefully will get some more hours in later, will post a hand in a minute which i think is a good example of the type of situation i encounter occasionally that for someone getting into HU might be hard to understand/ makes me look like a calling station lol. I seemed to take abuse from every single player i came up against today lol so thats always a good sign of a decent session, at the moment my only real target is trying to maintain my little silver star on scope and stay on the leaderboard, apart from that i'm not using excel to track every single game anymore and trying to not look at my roll till the end of a session.

Will try add in the image of this morning..
  • edited February 2013
    Right so this hand is pretty standard pre and on the flop i think, could of bet the turn but opponent was steaming a bit and i didn't want to be put to an all in decision if they put in like a strange minraise.

When the 7 hits on the river i'm fairly certain i have the best hand, i choose to minbet for a number of reasons..alot of the time the player will call with anything just to see/not have a bruised ego at folding to a minbet thats a quarter of the pot which means a little extra value, in this particular case the opponent has a tendency to do strange things like raise to a big amount in a manner that is inconsistent with how they play hands when they actually have it, so i'm also fully expecting a minraise or even a 3x bet which i can snap off. To put it simply based on past info and how they have played previous hands, if they had a hand good enough to shove they would of already bet on one of the streets and most definetly led out on the river, so i can rule out the hand being a monster and therefore the shove being for value, which leads to the question why would they shove a marginal hand when they can easily call and take away a decent pot, which all adds up to make this a snap call when they shove the river, as it always feels like a desperation bluff that is preying on my show of weakness with the minbet, but luckily i'm well aware that they percieve my minbet to be weak and therefore believe a shove with nothing should take the pot away. What made me particularly happy about this hand was that it was the higher level game and i still trusted my read and made the call when on previous occasions i may not off. I hope this gives some insight into how i'm thinking during these games and doesn't just seem like a load off rambling....Here is the hand:
    benc Small blind   15.00 15.00 605.00
    x
    Big blind   30.00 45.00 350.00
      Your hole cards

benc Raise   45.00 90.00 560.00
    x
    Call   30.00 120.00 320.00
    Flop

• Q

x
    Check        
    benc Check        
    Turn

x
    Check        
    benc Check        
    River

x Check        
    benc Bet   30.00 150.00 530.00
    x
    All-in   320.00 470.00 0.00
    benc Call   290.00 760.00 240.00
    benc Show

x
    Show
    • K

benc Win Pair of 7s 760.00   1000.00
  • edited February 2013
    Managed to get through the slog of a few hours coursework, listening to the football helped although i was a blackburn win away from winning a 6 fold accy for £200, still only bet to make listening to the football a bit more fun. Playing the main and mini as a reward for the work slog so hopefully can do ok in them, if not will get aload of time in grinding HU tonight i think, maybe even play some hypers on the side.