You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

£1050 to £2050 challenge/// Diary of a HUSNG Hyper grinder// Current Balance: £1230.2

Comments

• edited January 2013
    An update for yesterday, i played the 11.30 £5.75bh again and final tabled went out in 6th this time though everyone was pretty evenly stacked and i ended up taking a flip with AQ v 9s cudnt hit, although i got insanely lucky to even get past the bubble as my a6o managed to hit a disgusting runner flush against Fins AA. I had quite a swingy day didn't get as much volume in HU as i played a few sats to try get into the 15kbh and the super roller on sunday. Pattern of the day would be play HU spend profit on a sat and so on, with hindsight would of been better to just play HU for a set amount of time and earn a chunk towards the buy in. Once i gave up on getting into the tourny i dug myself a little hole HU playing turbos so yet again found myself on the £10 hypers went on a good streak which put me on a nice profit for the day, but i know i'm playing a dangerous game chasing losses on hypers but just cant resist, at least my bankroll could deal with a couple of horrible sessions.

I think my two cashes covered all the sats i played, a tv timed tourny and the mini bounty hunter which i forgot to mention. With HU giving the majority if not all the profit mainly due to a sick run on hypers.

Total for day: +£71.06

Current bankroll: £710.82            C4P: £94.55

• edited January 2013
    Excellent progress, well played.
  • edited January 2013
    Thanks Gary.

First attempt at putting something up from sharkscope its yesterdays HU total and is just about readable, will look to make it bigger next time. Have yet to play today as been a bit busy but should get in a session later this evening, also if any players are just starting out in HU and want some advice or anything feel free to pm me.
  • edited January 2013
    Tonight i played the rebuy open,turbo mini and megastack with about 15 hypers i think. Anyway the open was fun untill i ran As into Ks and they flopped a K, built up again Qs into Ak outflopped cant complain though as i have won my fair share of flips this week. Turbo Mini i came 18th for a cash quite enjoy the quick structure, had a good player to my left who 3bet me a couple of times so not wanting to get into habit of letting him run me over big mistake decided to call pre and checkraise all in on the flop with 10 high he called with 10high better kicker lol think he also had a gutshot will post the hand in a minute as it was quite funny, in grand scheme of things didn't matter though. In the megastack i came 2nd which was great my 3rd final table in 3days and my second 2nd place, this time i was completly happy with my HU play made the call with a5 against kj when i had double stack pre, then got in Ks against A9 when he had me covered, irritating not to take it down but glad it wasn't due to bad play like last time.  Hu i think i broke even or ended up very marginally up or down, back to my uni house 2mo and normal routine so will be back to getting alot more volume in HU.

Total for tonight: +£89.49

Current bankroll: £800.31            C4P: £96.82

• edited January 2013
    Just blew £31.50 of my hard earned profit on hypers, one 10.50 and one 21. lost the first one to a flip second one i saw a player sat down at 21 that i'd be stupid not to play, anyway after getting it in way ahead 4 times pre i still managed to lose and i didnt even get a rematch out of it , ahh well  just the nature of hypers still happy with the evenings work.

• edited January 2013
    Well i'm an idiot, played another 3 £10 games chasing my loss like a degenerate and lost them all. another £31.50 gone in a matter of minutes, didn't do anything wrong just what happens at hypers if the cards dont fall kindly, hopefully will serve as a reminder to stop going on them, still i'm going to bed now so i dont end up wasting all my profit for the day, just got to remind myself that i still took a profit for the night.

Cant really count it as a session but will record it as a whole so to try and deter me from making similar mistakes in the future.

Total as a whole from the 5 games  -£63

Current bankroll: £737.31       
  • edited January 2013
    Up early as im travelling back to Uni house in a little bit, remembered i forgot to post the tournament hand i said i would, as i mentioned before player is a good player who had 3bet me a couple of times so decided i should make a stand at some point, obviously took the worst option possible, should of just 4bet shove, i managed to build back up after this so wasn't massively relevant in the grand scheme of things, just funny seeing the two hands when all the money went in. Enjoy my awful play and the hero call.
    teamo22 Small blind   100.00 100.00 3630.00
    terrytwomore Big blind   200.00 300.00 3430.00
      Your hole cards

dillinja79 Fold        
    cassam Fold        
    benc Raise   400.00 700.00 3850.00
    x
    Raise   800.00 1500.00 2270.00
    teamo22 Fold        
    terrytwomore Fold        
    benc Call   400.00 1900.00 3450.00
    Flop

• Q

benc Check        
    x
    Bet   470.00 2370.00 1800.00
    benc All-in   3450.00 5820.00 0.00
    x
    All-in   1800.00 7620.00 0.00
    benc Unmatched bet   1180.00 6440.00 1180.00
    benc Show

x
    Show

Turn

River

x
    Win Queen high 6440.00   6440.00
  • edited January 2013
    Made a small withdrawal of £26.31 yesterday, chose that odd number as that was what i had above 700 after i had played a couple of HU games. Anyway i ended up playing about 4 or5hu in total was really tired from early start and travelling and didn't feel id be playing well if i tried to get a decent amount of games in, so watched my brother in an MTT bh instead and then he signed up to another which i decided to play. One of the £2.30 ones from last night think it was £300, anyway came 12th in that for a smallish cash think i just about broke even maybe a tiny bit of prof like in the pennies. Going to play some sats at some point today/tonight to try get into the roller and maybe play a bit of lowstakes cash just for bit of fun.

Current bankroll: £711.85        
  • edited January 2013
    So yesterday i played one direct sat into the roller didn't get anywhere got top pair in and was outkickered, also ended up doing 5 all in sats. I came second in one of them which was a pretty sickening feeling although i got a cash for that which covered the all the sats.

Played a decent amount of HU, a mixture of 10.50 and 5.25 turbos, then later i tried to get a few 5.25 hypers in. I like the fact you never have wait long for an opponent in the hypers and at 5.25 you rarely get a very competent opponent so will be mixing in alot of them with turbos but only at the 5.25 level as i still think i would struggle mentally with losing 10bi at 10.50s, whereas at the 5s i know i can.

Anyway overall i ended +£42.10 for the day, which is good as recently alot of my profit has been due to decent runs in  MTTs so nice to lock up a good HU session. I also managed to hit the £100 mark in cash for points which will be a nice bankroll boost next month.

Current bankroll: £753.95            C4P: £101.11
  • edited January 2013
    Just got back from my first two lectures back good to get back into the swing of things, the diary might not be updated quite as frequently during the busier times, but at the moment i still plan on fitting in a decent amount of poker and tracking my progress on here. So yesterday i only got 35 games in but managed to turn another decent profit,played mainly hypers with a couple of turbos. I played a £21 game when i got a little stuck mid session which  i won  but i dont know why i end up making these stupid decisions to step up when i'm losing. Maybe it is to do with inexperience of having a decent bankroll causing a lack of discipline sometimes, never had this problem when i was first grinding because i used to withdraw regularly so cudnt afford to splash around higher up, so i need to address that issue just not quite sure how. Hoping to get a decent amount of turbos in a bit later for the double points.

Anyway total for the day was : +£40.90

Current bankroll: £794.85            C4P: £103.36

• edited January 2013
    Realised i hadn't posted a hand in a while and when i used to lurk around reading the diaries it was always nice to see the odd hand. So for a bit of advertising/awful play, this hand is an example of levelling myself against a weak player , somehow find myself falling into the oldest HU trap in the book lol... enjoy
    x
    Small blind   25.00 25.00 945.00
    benc Big blind   50.00 75.00 980.00
      Your hole cards

x
    Call   25.00 100.00 920.00
    benc Raise   150.00 250.00 830.00
    x
    Raise   300.00 550.00 620.00
    benc All-in   830.00 1380.00 0.00
    x
    All-in   620.00 2000.00 0.00
    benc Unmatched bet   60.00 1940.00 60.00
    x
    Show
    • Q
    • A

benc Show

Flop

• K

Turn

River

x
    Win Pair of 8s 1940.00   1940.00
  • edited January 2013
    Pretty sick going so far mate. Keep it up!
  • edited January 2013
    Thanks Lambert this month has gone better than i thought considering my loss of confidence/downswing earlier on, cant see myself getting as much volume in over next few months but hopefully can keep slowly building and have good bankroll to make some decent money in the summer.

Update for today, Didnt play very long in the end only got in 36 games all at 5.25 hypers and turbos and i think 1 10.50 turbo was another profitable session again which is good seem to be playing and running good at the moment. I'm thinking about scheduling sessions to make sure i can get through like 50-75 games if i sit down to play rather than playing a couple getting distracted coming back then stopping etc. Maybe give myself a set amount of hours a week to play so i can still get decent volume in, just got to make sure uni work takes priority.

Todays total: +£27.35

Current bankroll: £822.20            C4P: £106.47
  • edited January 2013
    Just finished up so i can watch match of the day, dont really want to watch the west ham game though hope we pick up our form soon. Right decided i'd make sure i got over 50 games in tonight so got dinner and uni work out the way and sat with limited distractions and just played. I was mainly playing hypers with a couple of turbos think i played for total of about 2 and a half hours. Session went well again except a 5 game loss streak right at the end but i won my very last game, hate to end a session on a losing streak so was nice to put a stop to it. Earlier in the session i was running very well donking off when i got it in bad and winning when i got it in good, didn't think i was playing that well just getting lucky but as i playes a few more games got into the swing of things and felt i was playing better. My losing streak was definetly a bit of tilt, the first couple of games i got it in with monsters pre e.g. big pair v one overcard, then i think i just donk shoved my way to losing a couple more games but thats something in hypers which is unavoidable unless your a machine i think, although will still work on trying to really ensure i dont steam off buy ins and stop but easier said than done, also was playing 5.25s and 10.50s tonight plus a few supersonics.  Got past the 6k mark in c4p which was a nice boost for the evening as it meant a little jump in cash.

Total: =+£52.50

Current bankroll: £874.70            C4P: £122.40

• edited January 2013
    Nice goin Benc. Its hard to beleive you only started this diary about 3 weeks ago

Where did you learn to play HU?  Any tips as its one form of the game i can,t get my head round
    thx
    Paul
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: HUSNG diary an insight into turbo/hyper grinding:
    Nice goin Benc. Its hard to beleive you only started this diary about 3 weeks ago Where did you learn to play HU?  Any tips as its one form of the game i can,t get my head round thx Paul
    Posted by MP33
    Thanks Paul, i didn't learn to play HU anywhere specific or from a specific person it was more through a mixture of experience and then reading some pdfs i got hold off and getting a better technical understanding of how to play especially late on and ranges and how to play different opponents etc. This time last year i got aload of games in at the 2.10 level didn't make alot probably around £50 from 600ish games, but the learning experience i have now realised was priceless , i learned so much from grinding them games and testing different ways of playing etc.

In terms of tips i would say position, being able to adapt to opponents tendencies and learning shoving ranges based on amount of blinds you have for the latter stages is crucial. I will PM you a more detailed explanation in regards to these factors.
  • edited February 2013
    Just finished playing, had two smaller sessions today one mid evening time, then another from about 11.30 got about 80 games in overall which is good, but ended up with a loss. After recent form i knew i  was due a bad session so glad it wasn't a big loss just one of them frustrating sessions where just as you think your gaining momentum you lose 3-4 flips in a row and just cant get a streak together, nothing to complain about though i know i did some pretty awful plays tonight and i'm glad i was in miniview as i no doubt took some abuse lol i was not adjusting well to different opponents tonight, just kept playing super aggro and getting my chips in bad on silly bluffs or very marginal calls. Will put it down to a bit of tiredness from early start at uni and the fact i've run so good lately probably means i have not been aware of the mistakes i've been making so back to some reviewing tomorrow, all the games i played tonight were hypers thinking about sticking to 5.25s and seeing what kind of ROI i could get in a month but not sure yet. Finally i will not be updating the diary as frequently as i have been this month now i'm back in my normal routine, i will still update occasionally with how i'm progressing and any interesting hands etc and am always more than willing to discuss HU with anyone on the site, swap ideas on the game etc.

Total for today: -£21.65

Bankroll:£852.55       final c4points: around +£125
  • edited February 2013
    Enjoyed following this.

Played one game against you today, and, just from that, it's obvious you've got a very good game.
    You would have no problem winning at the £10.50's.
  • edited February 2013
    Thanks Jak when my cash for points comes in and i get myself to 1k bankroll then i shpuld be looking at sticking to 10s permenantly, just need to make sure i'm mentally prepared for the bigger swings which i'm not entirely sure i am at the moment.
  • edited February 2013
    Thanks Jak when my cash for points comes in and i get myself to 1k bankroll then i shpuld be looking at sticking to 10s permenantly, just need to make sure i'm mentally prepared for the bigger swings which i'm not entirely sure i am at the moment.
    Posted by benc
    Hey m8.Very important aspect that I've highlighted.Mental toughness is very much the key hu.I should know.Used to blow my top at the very notion of a bad beat,but through experience and a new family etc,perspective helps me deal with losses so much better.Aint a winning player atm,but maybe that willl change in the future.I'm sure if you move up,you'll be grand.Played you a few times and you seem handy enough to cope at the higher levels.
    All the best
    Paul
  • edited February 2013
    Thanks Paul, i have played aload of games at the level now and feel fairly confident with my game and beating the level but as you say mentality is a massively important aspect as i know if i moved up permenantly and tilited i could easily lose like 20bi in one bad hyper session when i go on megatilt which considering how much money that is in my normal life would be difficult to deal with even though i know my bankroll should be seperated entirely from my normal budget for everyday things its hard not to think of the fact it could of paid for like a months shopping or something lol but i have a pdf which is based on mental game so going to try get through that soon and eventually get to the point where i'm as comfortable at the 10s as i am at the 5s.
  • edited February 2013
    As i played some HU cash tonight i thought it would be worth an update as its something different to the usual.. played sngs had good/bad day boring results etc etc... So i played some 20nl HU cash tonight due to the points boost and for a bit of fun,. Played 2-3 randoms, stacked one, won a decent pot against another and he dissapeared and the other i think both of us lost to the rake. Then Shaun09 sat down and we played for couple of hours which was a laugh,really enjoyed the game was interesting trying to adjust to cash and playing a competent player without any blind increase as im used to in sngs. Quickly bluffed off £20 to him on a busted flush draw - although that set an interesting dynamic as i ended up shoving quite a few rivers throughout the course of the game, anyway i got lucky to river a straight against a flopped set for a big pot and then the game was mainly me being a calling station and being right enough of the time to maintain a decent stack and i think whilst we were playing each other we both ended up down to the rake, still was good fun made £14.45 overall and aload of cash for points managed to get past 500 on the first day of the month which will probably  be the most i make in single day in the entire month, not something i will be doing permenantly though. Had a good day on the sngs as well managed to get some decent volume in again.

Total for evening (including cash):
    +£59.45

Bankroll:£912.00       C4P: £4.40 (550 points)

• edited February 2013
    This is why i should not play cash..

Hand History #617349520 (22:04 01/02/2013)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    shaun09 Small blind   £0.10 £0.10 £21.46
    benc Big blind   £0.20 £0.30 £49.14
      Your hole cards
    • K

shaun09 Raise   £0.50 £0.80 £20.96
    benc Raise   £1.60 £2.40 £47.54
    shaun09 Call   £1.20 £3.60 £19.76
    Flop

• A

benc Bet   £2.00 £5.60 £45.54
    shaun09 Call   £2.00 £7.60 £17.76
    Turn

• Q

benc Bet   £4.80 £12.40 £40.74
    shaun09 Call   £4.80 £17.20 £12.96
    River

benc All-in   £40.74 £57.94 £0.00
    shaun09 All-in   £12.96 £70.90 £0.00
    benc Unmatched bet   £27.78 £43.12 £27.78
    shaun09 Show
    • J
    • A

benc Show
    • K

shaun09 Win Pair of Aces £42.12   £42.12
  • edited February 2013
    This is why i should not play cash.. Hand History #617349520 (22:04 01/02/2013) Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance shaun09 Small blind   £0.10 £0.10 £21.46 benc Big blind   £0.20 £0.30 £49.14   Your hole cards 8 K       shaun09 Raise   £0.50 £0.80 £20.96 benc Raise   £1.60 £2.40 £47.54 shaun09 Call   £1.20 £3.60 £19.76 Flop     2 A 4       benc Bet   £2.00 £5.60 £45.54 shaun09 Call   £2.00 £7.60 £17.76 Turn     Q       benc Bet   £4.80 £12.40 £40.74 shaun09 Call   £4.80 £17.20 £12.96 River     3       benc All-in   £40.74 £57.94 £0.00 shaun09 All-in   £12.96 £70.90 £0.00 benc Unmatched bet   £27.78 £43.12 £27.78 shaun09 Show J A       benc Show 8 K       shaun09 Win Pair of Aces £42.12   £42.12
    Posted by benc
    Prob the worst reg to three bet into with that hand and continue with your line. 

Admire your bravery but I would stop after the second barrel and sigh fold the river, he aint going anywhere with that board.

Cash is good for all aspects of your game though, although im getting fed up of tables with 4 regs on them, its kind of pointless unless your points collecting. Really good spin up on hu sngs benc, I know a couple of training sites with free vids but if you want coaching you will have to leave sky. PM me if you are interested.
  • edited February 2013
    Hey Ace

Yeah to be honest i think just got carried away with having a £50 stack and when i missed just didn't want to give up on the hand,also well aware that the shove on the river just screams desperate bluff lol posted the hand more for readers to have a snapshot from the night rather than advice. Still as i say not a cash player and it was just for bit of fun and also made a little profit. I do understand why the regs sit and dont play each other though as why waste money with no edge against somone just losing to the rake when some really terrible players will come along and just hand you a buy in. I do keep a look out for free videos and anything useful on 2+2 in particular but for the moment i cant really be taking it to seriously due to uni work so coaching isn't really something i could consider, thanks for asking though. How have you been getting on? and do you play on other sites?
  • edited February 2013

I wonder what this player put me on....

Hand History #617978985 (15:46 03/02/2013)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    benc Small blind   10.00 10.00 490.00
    x
    Big blind   20.00 30.00 480.00
      Your hole cards

benc Raise   30.00 60.00 460.00
    x
    Call   20.00 80.00 460.00
    Flop

• Q
    • K

x
    Check        
    benc Bet   40.00 120.00 420.00
    x
    Call   40.00 160.00 420.00
    Turn

• J

x
    Check        
    benc Check        
    River

• A

x
    Check        
    benc All-in   420.00 580.00 0.00
    x
    Fold        
    benc Muck        
    benc Win   160.00   160.00
    benc Return   420.00 0.00 580.00
  • edited February 2013
    Hi there benc, been watching a few of your games and reading this diary which is really good. I do the same as you keep a record of games won and lost as i play £5.25 standard heads up sit&gos. At the moment i have played 430, Won 250 and Lost 180 so im making a decent profit and if im still in profit after 1000 games i will move up to £10.50, but recently i have learned a lot from this diary so keep up the good work.
  • edited February 2013
    Nice work hotwheals, i recognize the name think we may have met in the past probably when i used to play the standard 5s every so often. Sounds like you have made some very decent profit over that 430 game period, like over £200 right? I have been playing alot of hypers lately but the variance is slowly driving me crazy, i wish there was a specific hyper exclusion button so i could just get on with only playing turbos, i plan to stick to turbos just need to really stop myself steaming onto hypers... Do you 1 table the standard 5s then? and do you play the same guys very often?  also do you only play the standard 5s or any other structure?