You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The Story of a Broken Man (£50 or quits!!!)

edited October 2013 in Poker Chat
Honest & thought provoking post WallR.  I recall a while ago you were running like Usain in MTT's!  (If Waller raised we ALL folded! lol)  I  guess the poker gods giveth & taketh away in equal measure?  I won't mention RNG?  Anyhoo, good luck m8.

Comments

• edited May 2013
    It's funny how much things can change in such a short space of time. Around 8 months ago I started a diary about having a crack at the cash tables, I had built up and maintained a 4 figure roll from 30 quid and I felt that I could take anyone on...........confidence is a must in poker, overconfidence can lead to things going down the pan.

Here is the story...........my last diary was a disaster, I jumped into cash at 30 - 50nl during the kings of cash promo (think thats what it was called??) and I got destroyed most sessions. I should have started at 10nl max and learnt how to be a competent cash player. At the time I wasn't too bothered, I had a go, it didn't work out.

I went back to MTTS with my tail between my legs and about 300 quid worse off. At that time I think I had around 1100 left in my account and we needed a new TV so I withdrew all but 500 quid and bought one......no probs, I would soon build it back up, right??.......WRONG!!

I have lost the lot since the turn of the year.

Am I gutted? Yeah a bit but in all honesty I deserve to have blown it.

My BRM went from being strict to pretty much non-existent.......I could buy in to any of the mains because it would only be a mater of time before I final tabled one of them (here lies the other reason why I'm where I am right now........I thought I was a lot better than I actually was!!!)

So what's the plan?
    Well all I have left in my account is £6.27 (I also have about 4 quid to come when C4P is paid). I should really deposit 50-100quid and have a proper go but I'm too stubborn (I have only ever deposited twice, the last time being around 3yrs ago) and I don't want to admit defeat....YET!!!

With this measly amount left in my account BRM is not an option.....I'm gonna play £1 DYMS, £1.10 DS and maybe some £2.30 BH's (if the DYMS get off to a good start).

It's all or nothing now........I don't wanna deposit out of sheer PRIDE!!!! 

This could be a very short diary or a long road to recovery.

Ego is locked away and I'm OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited May 2013
    destined to go down in flames
    but the fact you can laugh and share it is worthy of applause
    start thinking of plan B
    ie should you have to deposit, how much will it be and what brm style will you apply to it, and what games will you play.
    you now have some decent history of the power of variance
    and ask dev or garyqqq if you need further advice

ps been there, done that, really feel for you.
  • edited May 2013
    Good luck, chip and  achair, no reason why you cant spin any amount up!

Just do a Garyqqq:P

Odds are against you, but anything is possible in poker.

Good luck
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: The Story of a Broken Man (potentially the shortest diary in living memory):
    destined to go down in flames but the fact you can laugh and share it is worthy of applause start thinking of plan B ie should you have to deposit, how much will it be and what brm style will you apply to it, and what games will you play. you now have some decent history of the power of variance and ask dev or garyqqq if you need further advice ps been there, done that, really feel for you.
    Posted by GELDY
    plan B is for losers!!!!! haha...........(oh wait, I am one!) so i would probs deposit 50, play DYMs and the odd deepy.
  • edited May 2013
    your not alone, ive been there, you will come back stronger from this. good look.
  • edited May 2013
    u will come better then this m8 i remember i lst 800 on the roulletes worst day of my life looking bk it was the best day of my life coz it taught be a huge lesson to be disciplined with my money u will come back pal im sure of it :)
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: The Story of a Broken Man (potentially the shortest diary in living memory):
    u will come better then this m8 i remember i lst 800 on the roulletes worst day of my life looking bk it was the best day of my life coz it taught be a huge lesson to be disciplined with my money u will come back pal im sure of it :)
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    I aint so sure m8......proper lost my way. I see the likes of Lambert and Rancid, whose game has improved so so much over the past year and then I look at my game and I seem to have got much much worse......the problem is I'm not sure how or why
  • edited May 2013
    really do not understand this post.....is it a thinly veiled brag post?? The gist of it seems to be, "I deposited a small amount, spun it up to £1100, took out £600 and bought a tele, and now I'm back at zero". Now forgive my maths but doesnt that make u £600 up?? On a downswing maybe, but still up. In your position, i deposit again say a £100 (that makes me £500 up WOO-HOO) and carry on. Otherwise stop and quit as a winner. Dont want to seem brutal, or maybe i do, to basta dise a phrase, "If You Cant Stand The Variance Stay Out Of The Kitchen"

• edited May 2013
    £1100 - £600 = £600 = gambler maths lol!
  • edited May 2013
    Very brave post Waller, give it a go if worst happens deposit
    something sensible 50/100.

You good enough, just play small and have some fun again.

Good luck mate.

Daggers.
  • edited May 2013
    really do not understand this post.....is it a thinly veiled brag post?? The gist of it seems to be, "I deposited a small amount, spun it up to £1100, took out £600 and bought a tele, and now I'm back at zero". Now forgive my maths but doesnt that make u £600 up?? On a downswing maybe, but still up. In your position, i deposit again say a £100 (that makes me £500 up WOO-HOO) and carry on. Otherwise stop and quit as a winner. Dont want to seem brutal, or maybe i do, to basta dise a phrase, "If You Cant Stand The Variance Stay Out Of The Kitchen"
    Posted by memfno
    fail to see how this is a brag post....it's a post saying i'm virtually at zero and I'm gonna try to build it back up.

Also, where in my post does it say I withdrew 600???? It says I withdrew all but 500.....if you take the time to actually read it that is........this dig is coming from a so called team mate too!!!

You are also assuming I'm in a position where I can just stick another 100 quid on like it's nothing...........I'm not.

Cheers for your kind words anyway
  • edited May 2013
    Posted by memfno
    hardly a brag post when ur just about bust, bit of a douchbag post by yourself this really.
  • edited May 2013
    your words "i had 1100 in my account, withdrew all but 500 and bought a tele". ie you are 600 up.

poker is red in tooth and claw, i know loads of players who soft soap each other to keep taking money off each other. i am not soft soaping you teammate. u are currently ahead. u are not as far ahead as you used to be. these are the only facts here.

if u dont wish to continue then dont. if you do and choose to reinvest you may lose or you may win. who knows.

but coming on here saying things are going wrong for me when the only statement u r really making is im not as ahead as i used to be do not wash.
  • edited May 2013
    he is not bust, he's a 600 tele ahead
  • edited May 2013
    I dont understand withdrawing part of an active bankroll, fair enough grind to a set target amount then say anything above can be spent.

Besides, nobody NEEDS a new tv, especially one that costs £600

Lack of bankroll management may have cost you in the end, but your problem started with lack of a long term bankroll plan.
  • edited May 2013

If I put my roll on to £25/50 HU v style and lost it all, I'd be broke, but still be thousands up.

Not much consolation when it's all been spent/tied up elsewhere and I log in to £0.00.

Good luck waller, I'm not sure how players who are as rock solid as you can go on big downswings on sky, probably not much to do with your game. Still think you can make it at cash if you get in a position to take it on again in the future.

Don't get your hopes up style, it's not happening.

Again.

• edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: The Story of a Broken Man (potentially the shortest diary in living memory) : fail to see how this is a brag post....it's a post saying i'm virtually at zero and I'm gonna try to build it back up. Also, where in my post does it say I withdrew 600???? It says I withdrew all but 500.....if you take the time to actually read it that is........this dig is coming from a so called team mate too!!! You are also assuming I'm in a position where I can just stick another 100 quid on like it's nothing...........I'm not. Cheers for your kind words anyway
    Posted by waller02
    fail on my part!!!!!

but seriously john, I think you are misunderstanding the point of my post......this is going to be a diary to see if I can build it back up.

Not sure what your beef is tbh???????
  • edited May 2013
    I dont understand withdrawing part of an active bankroll, fair enough grind to a set target amount then say anything above can be spent. Besides, nobody NEEDS a new tv, especially one that costs £600 Lack of bankroll management may have cost you in the end, but your problem started with lack of a long term bankroll plan.
    Posted by calcalfold
    I watch a LOT of TV so why not treat yourself..... and I obv wasn't planning on blowing the rest of my roll at the time! haha
  • edited May 2013
    If I put my roll on to £25/50 HU v style and lost it all, I'd be broke, but still be thousands up. Not much consolation when it's all been spent/tied up elsewhere and I log in to £0.00. Good luck waller, I'm not sure how players who are as rock solid as you can go on big downswings on sky, probably not much to do with your game. Still think you can make it at cash if you get in a position to take it on again in the future. Don't get your hopes up style, it's not happening. Again.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

Also, in before the inevitable "at least take a shot at a level where you can afford 100xbb" rubdowns ;)
  • edited May 2013
    there is no beef, it was yourself who took exception to my accurately understanding your post. dont tell me you have blown your bankroll when you have spent on real goods far more of your bankroll than u originally deposited!!

ok then, so this post really requires that the "woe is me" preamble be dumped and replaced with a more, "hey guys, i currently find myself micro bankrolled and i've set myself a challange to build it back up' 

i think to that you have evry1s best wishes
  • edited May 2013
    there is no beef, it was yourself who took exception to my accurately understanding your post. dont tell me you have blown your bankroll when you have spent on real goods far more of your bankroll than u originally deposited!! ok then, so this post really requires that the "woe is me" preamble be dumped and replaced with a more, "hey guys, i currently find myself micro bankrolled and i've set myself a challange to build it back up'  i think to that you have evry1s best wishes
    Posted by memfno
    well....thats where the SO WHATS THE PLAN BIT comes in..............but I have been speaking to many people on here for a number of yrs so if i started this by saying "I have £6.27 and here is how i plan to build it up" then some might be curious as to how I have so little in my account....jeez, seriously if this is going to be the tone of your posts then don't bother
  • edited May 2013
  • edited May 2013
     HI Ryan mate,
                         feelin your pain buddy.

play low stakes m8 £1 dym's etc £1.10 deep stack as you say,freerolls etc.
    it's the best thing imo.
    you can re-build your b/roll back up again i'm sure of it,you only have to see what GaryQQQ is doing atm,to see what can be done.
    brm has let you down,that's all mate.
    learn from it and i'm sure you'll be back to your old self again very soon.
    idcu was down for a while as he says,but in the long run it has helped him i'm sure.
    it's horrible being where you are right now,and it feels like the end of the world,well not quite but you know what I mean.but there is only one way to go...upwards.

come on mate,let's see that b/roll moving up again.
    you CAN do it.

best wishes bud
    :)
    dev

• edited May 2013
    teammates ftw.....................
  • edited May 2013
    teammates ftw.....................
    Posted by chris1963
    indeed!
  • edited May 2013

They say you need to go broke at least once to know you never want to do it again.  I was quite lucky in that I got it out of the way quite early on, but it sounds like you've been at this poker lark for a good while. 

Anyway, can't think of any real advice, hope you run better.

W

• edited May 2013
    tough luck - been there it hurts

good luck getting it back

sell the TV put the money back into poker - TV is full of brain draining nonsense anyway )

• edited May 2013
    Good luck Waller.

Seen you on many of a final table so theres no doubt you are a quality player.  Downswings are a pain for sure.  As for the 600 quid tele blablabla, as far as im concerned winnings are meant to be spent on things you need/want so who cares about that.

I'll be keeping track of this diary (short or long lived) and wish you the best.
  • edited May 2013
    Is this still going?

If so it's already lasted longer than some diarys I've seen launched here in the past :)

Good luck. BRM discipline ftw.
  • edited May 2013

hu for the tv ??