You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

SHOULD THERE BE MORE FREEROLLS ON SKYPOKER AND ALSO FREEROLLS WITH A BIGGER PRIZE POOL?

1234568»

Comments

• edited August 2009
    I haven't played on this site for a few months, and when I did I played mostly freerolls. I'm not an expert poker player, I like playing for fun and to learn, and the Freerolls were a good way of learning the MTT set up. You wouldn't believe how excited I'd get by winning 11p!

People like MickJenn, you may have a load of money to play, but I don't. There is nothing wrong with players using freerolls to assist in building up their bankroll before they step into full-on tourneys. That is what I was doing a few months ago, playing freerolls and the occasional cash and STT to get a bankroll big enough to have a shot at playing proper tourneys, with proper money and proper play.

It is in Sky's interests to keep these Freerolls going, especially the smaller ones, as they bring new players into the game. If there were no freerolls, or only ones that needed a thousand points to enter, then you would have to kiss goodbye to new fish like me. I wouldn't wish to risk my hard earned to pay The Open, especially not without gaining a lot of experience at MTTs first. Like it or not, the big sharks only survive because of the little fish, and without a plentiful supply of new fish in the pond Sky Poker will eventually be doomed.
  • edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: SHOULD THERE BE MORE FREEROLLS ON SKYPOKER AND ALSO FREEROLLS WITH A BIGGER PRIZE POOL?:
    I haven't played on this site for a few months, and when I did I played mostly freerolls. I'm not an expert poker player, I like playing for fun and to learn, and the Freerolls were a good way of learning the MTT set up. You wouldn't believe how excited I'd get by winning 11p! People like MickJenn, you may have a load of money to play, but I don't. There is nothing wrong with players using freerolls to assist in building up their bankroll before they step into full-on tourneys. That is what I was doing a few months ago, playing freerolls and the occasional cash and STT to get a bankroll big enough to have a shot at playing proper tourneys, with proper money and proper play. It is in Sky's interests to keep these Freerolls going, especially the smaller ones, as they bring new players into the game. If there were no freerolls, or only ones that needed a thousand points to enter, then you would have to kiss goodbye to new fish like me. I wouldn't wish to risk my hard earned to pay The Open, especially not without gaining a lot of experience at MTTs first. Like it or not, the big sharks only survive because of the little fish, and without a plentiful supply of new fish in the pond Sky Poker will eventually be doomed.
    Posted by Anonemouse
    Totally agree with you here mate, I started on the £20 free-rolls and luckily was able to play 47 with my 500 starting points, I enjoyed that experiance so much and beleive it's really helped my game, but if i started now I'd be lucky to get 10 free-rolls before having to put money in straight away, yes I know everyone needs to deposit as good'ol Mick likes to point put, but I'd rather use my money with good experiance behind me.
  • edited August 2009

Wow, so many people that don't want to deposit anything but want to build a bankroll with freerolls funded by everyone else.

Its a good job you are not the majority or Sky Poker would not exist.

• edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: SHOULD THERE BE MORE FREEROLLS ON SKYPOKER AND ALSO FREEROLLS WITH A BIGGER PRIZE POOL?:
    In Response to Re: SHOULD THERE BE MORE FREEROLLS ON SKYPOKER AND ALSO FREEROLLS WITH A BIGGER PRIZE POOL? : Totally agree with you here mate, I started on the £20 free-rolls and luckily was able to play 47 with my 500 starting points, I enjoyed that experiance so much and beleive it's really helped my game, but if i started now I'd be lucky to get 10 free-rolls before having to put money in straight away, yes I know everyone needs to deposit as good'ol Mick likes to point put, but I'd rather use my money with good experiance behind me.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Totally agree with you guys, its not the money, but the experience gained. For people like Mick, if they are so good at poker, and have lots of money, why are they fussed about freerolls for beginners? Maybe they fear what we could become?
  • edited August 2009

The £20 freerolls were as far away from poker as you could get really. They were the worst possible way to learn about poker. Any player with even limited experience will tell you that. The £100 jobbies are much, much better.

To those new to the game, if you cannot fork out 30p for a sit n go, or 1.10 for the cheapest mtt in which to learn then you need you're heads looking at.

I mean, it is ENTERTAINMENT guys.

How much does that pint down the local cost? How much for those cinema tickets?

Sounds like you all think you are going to be the next Phil Hellmuth, and you are going to turn your freeroll winnings into millions.

And in addition, I cannot think of another site that gives new players free entry into TEN freerolls with £100 of prize money with no deposit required. Talk about ungrateful.

When I join a poker site im not looking for them to line my pockets at no risk to myself. They are in the business of making money.

AND- spare a thought for the many players on this site like my brother who accumulate 20,000 + points per month and get no decent freerolls or perks compared to other poker sites!!!!!

The ones that contribute the most get nothing! Its a scandal.

• edited August 2009
    I don't recall saying I was going to "Line my pockets" or "Become the next Phil Hellmuth" by playing freerolls. What I said is that the cheaper freerolls provide an opportunity for beginners to learn their craft, and that for smaller players they can provide the chance to ASSIST in building up their bankroll. I didn't say anything about stopping higher priced freerolls at all - personally I think there should be a range if possible - low entrance freerolls with low prizes, and higher entrance freerolls for those with the 80,000 plus points that you mentioned.

You say that Freerolls are as far away from real poker as you can get, well I'd disagree with that. They are not the best quality poker, that's true, but that is because the people that enter a £20 guaranteed freeroll won't be the best players out there, but those that are trying to get more experience. The play money games, now they ARE as far away from real poker as you can get - at least with the freerolls there is real money at the end, so people have a real incentive (however small) to play properly.

You need to consider what the purpose of freeolls are. Are they really meant to be a reward for people who play on this site a lot? Or are they meant to be a way of encouraging more people to play the game on this site? There is nothing stopping Sky Poker from using them in both ways, but personally I think encouraging new players into the fold to be more important than rewarding people who play the most. If we bring enough new players onto the site, then those that play the most (and have the most experience) will be rewarded through more wins and higher prize pools.
  • edited August 2009
    In Response to SHOULD THERE BE MORE FREEROLLS ON SKYPOKER AND ALSO FREEROLLS WITH A BIGGER PRIZE POOL?:
    I think there are only 4 regular freerolls (£20 prizepool) throughout the day and the weekly £250 prizepool on a wednesday, shoulnt there be alot more freerolls for us loyal skypoker users? What does everybody think?...
    Posted by Jimmy8
    there not free they cost us a few quid,u get nothing for nothing as they say
  • edited August 2009
  • edited September 2009
    Hi i believe there should be few more freeroles but all in all there are quite a few
    as for the pots they are normaly a reasonable size
    on a similar note does anyone no if there is a frerole this week were you doing need points
    tom
  • edited October 2009
    I don't think it should be a case of "loyal users" getting a chance of winning good cash amounts, it should be open to every single person who uses the site, which will encourage more people to play here. That is why they are freerolls. It is quite simple really, Sky make a load off us, and the freerolls stink. Up the money on them. Several other sites I use have far better offers.
    Posted by Draig
    i fink that the freerolls should apply 2 all users nd should b alot mre prize money
  • edited October 2009
    must be before my time, cool picture jimmy.
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: SHOULD THERE BE MORE FREEROLLS ON SKYPOKER AND ALSO FREEROLLS WITH A BIGGER PRIZE POOL? : i fink that the freerolls should apply 2 all users nd should b alot mre prize money
    Posted by cpalace1
    I couldnt disagree more. Freerolls are used either to encourage new players as in a promotion, or to reward loyal members. Yes there should be some freerolls for all that are points based, to encourage people to at least play real money games and earn the points. However a lot of freerolls as in the super6 and posters freeroll are there to encourage participation on the site and its subsidiaries. They are not there just for players to log on,play and then bug ger off, although i appreciate thats what some players do. Sky have some great and some bad freerolls, i myself have had £65,£45,£22.50,£8 wins on the freerolls in the last year, so they cant be that bad. Try some other sites freerolls and they offer $20 prize pool lol, i think the least sky offer is £100. PS im not paid by sky lol
  • edited October 2009
    I totally agree with everything you have just said there fella666. Hopefully they can make some changes to reward us skypoker players with bonuses which we deserve..
    Posted by Jimmy8
         Other sites provide freeroles every hour for cash or entry to regular tournaments.Why cant sky?
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: SHOULD THERE BE MORE FREEROLLS ON SKYPOKER AND ALSO FREEROLLS WITH A BIGGER PRIZE POOL? :      Other sites provide freeroles every hour for cash or entry to regular tournaments.Why cant sky?
    Posted by BREN333
    Ive seen these entries to tournies. i went on one for a free entry to a tourny, 2500 were in and the 1st won and 2nd got $5 lol. Im not saying sky are perfect and nor are the other sites, however we have to keep things into perspective, no site is gonna give away 1000's of pounds for nothing, however sky i believe are not that bad for their freerolls.
  • edited October 2009
    i think a monthly tournament somet like 3000 points to enter with a prize fund of say 5k? surely they can give it a try and if they feel its doing nothing for the site then at least they can say they have tried?
  • edited November 2009
    yea Des nice work excellent idea :)
  • edited November 2009
    Recieved a sratchcard yesterday,Thanks SKY
  • edited November 2010
    How about a loyalty freeroll - reward the players who are constantly playing on Sky Poker - I play nearly every night as I'm sure do a lot of others.
    Posted by PokerParty
    I agree at the moment I feel like SKY POKER only reward the people who clearly dont have a job and they play 24 7 as there is no way I could get in the top 30 players in any of the league's as I work a 40 hour week. So why doesnt sky poker actually listen to what people want instead of giving us these pointless £100 freerolls why dont they have a store or a VIP system or a ticket system where you simply use your points for Tournament entry tickets like for the open and the weekly Bounty Hunter. As the good old saying goes look after your pennies and they will soon turn into a pound. Therefore stop only rewarding your higher profile players and treat the players who play for a hour or 2 everynight and lets be honest I would say 90 percent of your players on this site would come under that bracket.

So would Sky poker be kind enough to reply to this post