You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

------ A PAIN IN THE CASH!!! -------

Comments

• edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Diary of how not to maintain BRM. level 1. cash. a few Q's on this.:
     In my humble opinion.   1. Avoid the regs and the multi-tablers, look for tables where people aren't playing with the full buy-in as these are probably recreational and possibly blowing the last few quid in their account.  2. If your playing well, on a good table and only losing due to variance then keep going. If your playing badly, playing tired, tilting then leave.  3. If you are going to play 6 max on Sky I would stick to 6 max elsewhere. They are very different games.  4. Yes.  5. When starting out on your cash journey I would play a pretty tight range and just play ABC poker and remember POSITION IS EVERYTHING.  Good Luck.
    Posted by 68Trebor

Thanks for the input trebor will take note. thnks> :)
  • edited January 2015
    So played some cash while watching the results, 

1st of all coupon came in for 96 quid!! nice wee boost.

so played my first small cash game for about half an hour - 45 mins, and left bothe tables with a profit, about a fiver, on two table of 4 nl, playe done table last night on coral, sat with £4 and left with £9 odd, in a few hands but had too watch a film with the mrs,... quality time and that!!

feeling reasonbly comfortable at 4nl at the two tables, looked ofr tables with players with small amounts, like trebor said above and played fairly tight.

but i know i have some leaks and will post these hand up in a min for some good advice hopefully, mainly on playing flush draws as i think i spew too much away chasing when i should let go.. some i got lucky right enough.

what i think ill struggle with is deciding when and when i shouldnt play these draws and some other hands, i read a lot about +ev and -ev from alot of regs and think illl stuggle too work this out alot of the time, where can get material too study this part? 
  • edited January 2015

A FEW HANDS HERE OF MOST FLUSH DRAW I CAME ACCROSS, THOUGHTS PLEASE?

FLUSH DRAWS?

WHEN TO AND WHEN NOT TO?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceCarlos477 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £3.33 Chris_Mc Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £4.51   Your hole cards 5 3       Carlos477 Call  £0.02 £0.08 £3.31 Chris_Mc Check     Flop    A 7 J       Chris_Mc Check     Carlos477 Bet  £0.10 £0.18 £3.21 Chris_Mc Call  £0.10 £0.28 £4.41 Turn    10       Chris_Mc Check     Carlos477 Bet  £0.04 £0.32 £3.17 Chris_Mc Raise  £0.40 £0.72 £4.01 Carlos477 Raise  £0.72 £1.44 £2.45 Chris_Mc All-in  £4.01 £5.45 £0.00 Carlos477 Fold     Chris_Mc Muck     Chris_Mc Win  £1.66  £1.66 Chris_Mc Return  £3.65
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceJboss Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £5.07 djhall Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £1.83   Your hole cards 10 K       dani98 Fold     Irishlad81 Call  £0.04 £0.10 £0.62 Chris_Mc Raise  £0.12 £0.22 £5.14 grimsc67 Call  £0.12 £0.34 £2.79 Jboss Fold     djhall Call  £0.08 £0.42 £1.75 Irishlad81 Fold     Flop    10 5 2       djhall Check     Chris_Mc Check     grimsc67 Bet  £0.16 £0.58 £2.63 djhall Call  £0.16 £0.74 £1.59 Chris_Mc Raise  £0.32 £1.06 £4.82 grimsc67 Call  £0.16 £1.22 £2.47 djhall Fold     Turn    10       Chris_Mc Check     grimsc67 Check     River    4       Chris_Mc Bet  £0.92 £2.14 £3.90 grimsc67 Fold     Chris_Mc Muck     Chris_Mc Win  £1.12  £5.02 Chris_Mc Return  £0.92 £0.10 £5.94

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancebillybo119 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £0.79 Irishlad81 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £1.19   Your hole cards K A       Chris_Mc Raise  £0.12 £0.18 £4.13 grimsc67 Fold     djhall Call  £0.12 £0.30 £2.36 billybo119 Fold     Irishlad81 Call  £0.08 £0.38 £1.11 Flop    10 Q J       Irishlad81 Check     Chris_Mc Bet  £0.16 £0.54 £3.97 djhall Call  £0.16 £0.70 £2.20 Irishlad81 Fold     Turn    5       Chris_Mc Check     djhall Check     River    8       Chris_Mc Bet  £0.52 £1.22 £3.45 djhall Fold     Chris_Mc Muck     Chris_Mc Win  £0.64  £4.09 Chris_Mc Return  £0.52
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceIrishlad81 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £0.68 Chris_Mc Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £4.88   Your hole cards Q 9       grimsc67 Fold     Jboss Call  £0.04 £0.10 £5.25 djhall Call  £0.04 £0.14 £1.87 dani98 Call  £0.04 £0.18 £1.65 Irishlad81 Call  £0.02 £0.20 £0.66 Chris_Mc Check     Flop    6 8 5       Irishlad81 Check     Chris_Mc Bet  £0.15 £0.35 £4.73 Jboss Call  £0.15 £0.50 £5.10 djhall Fold     dani98 Fold     Irishlad81 Fold     Turn    5       Chris_Mc Check     Jboss Check     River    5       Chris_Mc Check     Jboss Check     Chris_Mc Show Q 9    Jboss Muck 2 10    Chris_Mc Win Three 5s £0.46

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceCarlos477 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £2.43 KINGHIGH73 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £3.16   Your hole cards 2 3       Chris_Mc Raise  £0.12 £0.18 £5.19 Carlos477 Call  £0.10 £0.28 £2.33 KINGHIGH73 Call  £0.08 £0.36 £3.08 Flop    Q 5 J       Carlos477 Check     KINGHIGH73 Check     Chris_Mc Check     Turn    8       Carlos477 Check     KINGHIGH73 Check     Chris_Mc Bet  £0.18 £0.54 £5.01 Carlos477 Fold     KINGHIGH73 Call  £0.18 £0.72 £2.90 River    A       KINGHIGH73 Check     Chris_Mc Bet  £0.36 £1.08 £4.65 KINGHIGH73 Raise  £0.72 £1.80 £2.18 Chris_Mc Fold     KINGHIGH73 Muck     KINGHIGH73 Win  £1.33  £3.51 KINGHIGH73 Return  £0.36

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceCarlos477 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £3.03 Chris_Mc Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £4.87   Your hole cards 4 8       Carlos477 Call  £0.02 £0.08 £3.01 Chris_Mc Check     Flop    3 J 7       Chris_Mc Check     Carlos477 Bet  £0.10 £0.18 £2.91 Chris_Mc Call  £0.10 £0.28 £4.77 Turn    10       Chris_Mc Check     Carlos477 Bet  £0.20 £0.48 £2.71 Chris_Mc Call  £0.20 £0.68 £4.57 River    3       Chris_Mc Check     Carlos477 Bet  £0.50 £1.18 £2.21 Chris_Mc Fold     Carlos477 Muck     Carlos477 Win  £0.62  £2.83 Carlos477 Return  £0.50 £0.06 £3.33

• edited January 2015
    Hi Chris,

Fellow Weedgi here.

Your KTs & AKs, you checked both turns and got it checked back. Don't worry about fancy pants poker at 4NL and build that pot. A lot of players find it hard to let go of their own draws at 4nl and they should be charged for it. 
  • edited January 2015
    Ok I said to you on FB I'd reply.... it could get lengthy cos I do love to ramble on so here goes...

1) If you're starting out at 4NL, table selection is pretty much pointless. You might have the odd player tagged as a complete lunatic and if you see him, sit with him, that's fine, but otherwise just sit at any 4NL table and it'll be great value.

2) If you're confident in your game and not tilting then you don't need to set any limit really. You're relatively new to cash so you could maybe set a limit in the early days just because you may be making a lot of mistakes and not even realising it. I'd probably set it around 5 BIs though, any lower and you might find yourself stop/starting all the time.

3) I'd only play on Sky. If you were gonna play on other sites I'd stick to 6max cos you've always played on Sky afaik so you're gonna be better at 6max than full ring even if you haven't played much cash before.

4) Yeah there's a pretty big difference, essentially all ranges change which is the foundation of every single decision you make.

5) I can't really answer this cos I dunno what you think is standard... you're standard may already be too tight or too loose, I dunno. Do you mean for 3betting OOP btw? As a general rule we want to try to play as few pots as possible when we are both OOP and without the betting lead. That's not to say you should never do it, but a lot of the time you're gonna have a real tough time trying to make good decisions when you're calling raises in the SB for example.

Will reply about other stuff in a seperate post
  • edited January 2015
    First of all, I found that guide of Dohhhh's I was telling you about. Here's page 1 of it and there's a link to the following page at the bottom (3 pages in total)

https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby/poker-school/beat-small-stakes-cash-games-1

Everything you need to know about 6max low stakes poker is here...

http://www.gamblingsystem.biz/books/2p2NL6max.pdf

========================

I'm sure you've heard this before but just incase you aint.... to work out the % chance of hitting your outs on the next card you can multiply your outs by 2. If you want to know the % chance of hitting out outs on the next 2 cards (i.e. by the river if you GII on the flop) then you multiply your outs by 4.

Of course it's not an exact science because we never know 100% which outs are 'live' for instance if we GII with AKss on a 2s5s9o flop...

If he has QQ (without a spade), then we have 2 overs and our spade outs which is 15 outs so we're a favourite to win (we win about 55% of the time, the x4 rule isn't exact but close enough)

However, if he had 55 when he gets it in, we now only have out flush outs and we can't hit the 9s either because it gives him a house so we have 8 outs so about 24% chance of winning... so considerably worse than v QQ

The point I'm making is that it's a good method to quickly work out the rough % chance of us getting there with a draw but it's only really useful if you get good at putting people on a range so you can have a better idea of which outs you have that are live. You might be up against someone that will pile all the money in on that flop with 89o, that doesn't mean they'll never have 55, but you're trying to work out what the most likely situation is when we GII.

=============================================================

So as a quick summary in terms of you asking about + or -EV decisions....

Imagine you have A7 with the A of spades, you cbet the KT5 all spade flop, and for some reason (hypothetical) you KNOW 100% the villian has 55 when he raises your cbet. So you have 9 outs, so you multiply that by 2 to see if you have the correct odds to call and hit the turn... so we hit the turn about 20% of the time (1in5 times). If something happens 1in5 times, then the EV odds would be 4/1.

If his raise amount meant you had to call 25p to see the turn, and the pot was already £1.25, you are getting 5/1 in a situation where you only need 4/1 to call. So if another penny never went into this pot and you were in this situation 5 times.... 4 times you lose 25p (-£1) and 1 time you win £1.25, so we're 25p by making that call.

However, if the action was different and you had to call 25p to win a pot of 90p... and play it out 5 times.... 4 times you lose 25p (£1) and 1 time you win 90p so you've made a loss of 10p by making this call.

The first example is +EV because that decision makes us money long term. The second one is -EV because it loses us money long term.

Just to confuse matters even more.... that was all based on the fact that another penny never goes into the pot. That second option where you lose 10p everytime you make the call, if you knew your opponent well and knew that shuold the turn complete your flush, they would happily call a shove on the turn for another £3 100% of the time then our flop call becomes very +EV because we make back that 10p loss and then some on future streets on the times we hit our hand (implied odds)

^^^ Again this comes down to knowing the opponent, being able to put them on a range, and knowing how light they stack off.

====================================================================

Hand 1) Fine with the flop call. I'd be under the assumption until I know otherwise that everyone I play against at 4NL is calling too light so I expect our implied odds to be very good if we hit the flush. I like the turn raise but I think I'd just flat his 3bet... it's not that I'm scared of being up against a bigger flush, although we will be sometimes, I just think he looks so so strong (even bad players will know that) and so you shoving just looks SO strong. I think I'd rather flat, keep in his weaker hands and if he has some bluffs. He's very unlikely to take that line on the turn then not bet the river, and then we can shove any non-club river on him, or call if he shoves.

Hand 2) When I'm isolating a limper, I'd probably go bigger, fwiw, the UTG guy is vvv short so I might just limp along. We aint semi bluffing the flop w/ our FD, we almost certainly already have the best hand. I don't mind raising big if you do you definitely need to go bigger, if I was raising I'd make it like 65-70p. We should bet the turn, all FDs still call, all smaller Tx still call, 66, 77, 88, 99 probably still call, if they do fold then we probably weren't getting another penny out of them anyway. Fwiw, if we raise flop bigger then we stacks are set up for us to jam turn. With strong hands you always want to be planning your bet sizes in a way that allow you to get all the money in.

Hand 3) This is just a perfect, bet bet shove spot. Your cbet should be alot bigger. People love to play big cards so this flop is perfect, they're never gonna fold an OESD or 2pr, or 1pr, or 1pr + a straight draw, probablt not even a gutshot to 1 bet, just pile the money in.

Hand 4) GS, 2 overs and a FD, good spot to lead and lead big so like the flop. Once he calls the flop multiway I doubt there's any hand he's gonna fold on that turn card so semi bluffing when we have no FE is a bad idea. I'd check and call depending on hiw sizing. Again I'd give up on that river too.

Hand 5) This is a terrrrible hand to open pre. People call too much pre and don't like to fold postflop so we want hands that flop TP a lot so that we can value bet. As played I just wouldn't put a penny in postflop, people at 4NL don't like to fold and you have no hand and no way of improving to beat anything.

Hand 6) Again, good implied odds v bad players that don't fold so I'd call flop. Turn we pick up a GS to go with our FD and still have decent implied odds with what he has behind so I'd call again. River just give up so wp.
  • edited February 2015
    Had a quick look at a few of your hands.

K10, we flop the world a pair and a flush draw. We make a min raise and get 1 caller.

It's best to go for a bigger raise size. Around 3 x or there abouts.

It just gets better for us on the turn, and with the initiative we check.

The same happens with your AK hand when we flop the nuts, again you check the turn.

At 4nl, you just want to be betting for value with your value hands, and keeping bluffing to a minimum.

Defo read's Doh's thread on playing 4nl.

As for draws at 4nl, I might be more inclined to call with draws, quite often players will make really small bets, giving us the odds to call, and go to value town when we make our hand.
  • edited February 2015
    thanks guys for the input, yuranasset, lambert180, and larson,

will take alll this on board and get those threads read!

thanks for taking the time for all that paul that clears my head a little, as dfor the math to it all im very basic, go by gut if u will when i feel im gettin the right price but cant break it down the way you do, 
    everydays a school day.

felt quite good at this level and sstrating to take notes on some players, normally just the ones that are stations and calling everyone of my raises, and a couple who will 3bet me, repeatadly, too eentually find there doing this quite light, 

not getting involved too much and watching too begin with and seemed too help as ive made a profit about 3-5 buyins on the games ive played, prob only about 2-3 hours of poker which i think is quite good.

so thanks guys again for taking the time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

OLD FIRM DAY!!!!

being a celtic fan ive looking forward too metting our rivals for nearly 3 years now.
    it wont be the same but anything can happen so im not saying to much to soon!

i just hope all fans can behave and enjoy the day and not spoil it through religion and bigotry. 

apart from that i will play some 4nl again today and hopefully continue to improve and climb steadily, 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

session 1 will begin with 

£113.28

0 pts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

• edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: A PAIN IN THE CASH!!! how to play flush draws and straight draw advice please?:
    thanks guys for the input, yuranasset, lambert180, and larson, will take alll this on board and get those threads read! thanks for taking the time for all that paul that clears my head a little, as dfor the math to it all im very basic, go by gut if u will when i feel im gettin the right price but cant break it down the way you do,  everydays a school day. felt quite good at this level and sstrating to take notes on some players, normally just the ones that are stations and calling everyone of my raises, and a couple who will 3bet me, repeatadly, too eentually find there doing this quite light,  not getting involved too much and watching too begin with and seemed too help as ive made a profit about 3-5 buyins on the games ive played, prob only about 2-3 hours of poker which i think is quite good. so thanks guys again for taking the time. --------------------------------------------------------------------------- OLD FIRM DAY!!!! being a celtic fan ive looking forward too metting our rivals for nearly 3 years now. it wont be the same but anything can happen so im not saying to much to soon! i just hope all fans can behave and enjoy the day and not spoil it through religion and bigotry.  apart from that i will play some 4nl again today and hopefully continue to improve and climb steadily,  ---------------------------------------------------------------------- session 1 will begin with  £113.28 0 pts. --------------------------------------------------------------------  
    Posted by Chris_Mc

C'mon the tic

Really enjoyed the last few posts and replies, i play a little micro cash but really only dip my toe in. Looking  to play a bit more.

• edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: A PAIN IN THE CASH!!! how to play flush draws and straight draw advice please?:
    In Response to Re: A PAIN IN THE CASH!!! how to play flush draws and straight draw advice please? : C'mon the tic Really enjoyed the last few posts and replies, i play a little micro cash but really only dip my toe in. Looking  to play a bit more.
    Posted by HENDRIK62

cant wait, but im not thinking we will romp it like most, they have nothing to lose and u have too look at the FA cup last week!!!!

HOOPing for a good game though, BIG VAN  for a goal, and johanson im thinking.

mabye see u at the tables hendirk, u playing many today? u in the roller?

hows your plo8 going
  • edited February 2015
    unlikely to play much today, got to get some work stuff together for a trip to Manchester at the start of the week.

Enjoying the plo8, Thursday night tourneys have been great fun. 

2-0 will do just fine but 5 or 6 would be better ;-)
  • edited February 2015
    EVENING ALL!

Well, down £2 playing some 4nl, but in the mood tonight and hope too make that back in tonights session while tuning into the live show,

also seem to be regged for the turbo tuesday and guessing i won the seat through sundays show??? can anyone confirm this for me please.

also after the old firm game i got a wee bit drunk and forgot about my UKPC quarter final and missed the game :( too see i finished 17th and 13 or 14 got seats out of 69 runners lol, i was a wee bit dissapointed, probally wouldve been worse if i played lol

so starting tonight with

£111,32 and 13pts.

gl all playin and miby see you at the tables, will have too reg mini now aswell for the jackpot chance but i wont be holding my breath!
  • edited February 2015

Well ending the night with £108.08 and 49 pts.

regged for mini, took one head for £1.88
    and regged fo two all in sats for the big BH....hit me I said I wouldn't!!!

virtual slap!!!

so -£9.62 in mtt's

but
    +£6.42 in cash.

after the main and mini, had dinner, then set up 4 tables of 4nl, seemed to do ok I think although still seems a little quick, but got used too it a bit......how can you all do so many and make accurate decision??????????

nearly time for bed but before I go ill post some of my winning hands and also some losing hands and see if there is much difference in my play so far.......

• edited February 2015
    fairly standard I guess...
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    Bobo1875 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £10.24
    tlewis2615 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £1.68
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • K

linnell05 Fold     
    jurikadze Call  £0.04 £0.10 £5.28
    Chris_Mc Raise  £0.16 £0.26 £5.96
    Armagregon Call  £0.16 £0.42 £0.24
    Bobo1875 Fold     
    tlewis2615 All-in  £1.68 £2.10 £0.00
    jurikadze Fold     
    Chris_Mc Raise  £3.12 £5.22 £2.84
    Armagregon All-in  £0.24 £5.46 £0.00
    Chris_Mc Unmatched bet  £1.56 £3.90 £4.40
    tlewis2615 Show
    • A

Chris_Mc Show
    • K
    • K

Armagregon Show

Flop

• K

Turn

River

Chris_Mc Win Three Kings £3.60

should I be folding the raise pre???
    Aguia88 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £8.60
    calcalfold Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £3.96
      Your hole cards

Chris_Mc Raise  £0.12 £0.18 £3.74
    MKaz Raise  £0.40 £0.58 £1.56
    Bobo1875 Fold     
    Aguia88 Fold     
    calcalfold Fold     
    Chris_Mc Call  £0.28 £0.86 £3.46
    Flop

Chris_Mc Check     
    MKaz Bet  £0.60 £1.46 £0.96
    Chris_Mc Raise  £2.66 £4.12 £0.80
    MKaz All-in  £0.96 £5.08 £0.00
    Chris_Mc Unmatched bet  £1.10 £3.98 £1.90
    Chris_Mc Show

MKaz Show
    • A

Turn

River

Chris_Mc Win Full House, 7s and 8s £3.68  £5.58
    another flush one........
    HOUNDOG Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £1.02
    mike1959 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £3.35
      Your hole cards

Chris_Mc Raise  £0.12 £0.18 £3.93
    walter1959 Fold     
    badcall39 Call  £0.12 £0.30 £2.58
    HOUNDOG Fold     
    mike1959 Call  £0.08 £0.38 £3.27
    Flop

• J

mike1959 Bet  £0.29 £0.67 £2.98
    Chris_Mc Call  £0.29 £0.96 £3.64
    badcall39 Call  £0.29 £1.25 £2.29
    Turn

mike1959 Bet  £0.94 £2.19 £2.04
    Chris_Mc All-in  £3.64 £5.83 £0.00
    badcall39 Fold     
    mike1959 Fold     
    Chris_Mc Muck     
    Chris_Mc Win  £2.89  £2.89
    Chris_Mc Return  £2.70 £0.24 £5.59

this one I think I should have folded... butnthought that after I snap called....worked out...
    miniraise Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £2.33
    Chris_Mc Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £3.29
    liamt20101 Sit out     
      Your hole cards

hamtin Fold     
    wiganway Fold     
    scruffcat Call  £0.04 £0.10 £1.00
    miniraise Fold     
    Chris_Mc Raise  £0.08 £0.18 £3.21
    scruffcat Call  £0.08 £0.26 £0.92
    Flop

• A

Chris_Mc Bet  £0.13 £0.39 £3.08
    scruffcat All-in  £0.92 £1.31 £0.00
    Chris_Mc Call  £0.79 £2.10 £2.29
    Chris_Mc Show

scruffcat Show
    • A
    • J

Turn

River

Chris_Mc Win Flush to the 9 £1.94  £4.23
  • edited February 2015
    now for the losing ones.... some honking stuff!!!!
    TheRat1 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £1.09
    scafolder Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £3.15
      Your hole cards

manjit6911 Call  £0.04 £0.10 £3.59
    PMoneys Call  £0.04 £0.14 £1.00
    Calken Fold     
    Chris_Mc Raise  £0.12 £0.26 £4.78
    TheRat1 Fold     
    scafolder Fold     
    manjit6911 Fold     
    PMoneys Call  £0.08 £0.34 £0.92
    Flop

• A
    • A

PMoneys Bet  £0.16 £0.50 £0.76
    Chris_Mc Call  £0.16 £0.66 £4.62
    Turn

• J

PMoneys All-in  £0.76 £1.42 £0.00
    Chris_Mc Call  £0.76 £2.18 £3.86
    PMoneys Show
    • A

Chris_Mc Show

River

PMoneys Win Three Aces £2.01  £2.01
    2nd biggest loss
    cashy41 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £3.53
    LB438 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £4.00
      Your hole cards
    • Q

Rosieleo Fold     
    ackyboo Fold     
    TLK65 Raise  £0.08 £0.14 £3.62
    Chris_Mc Call  £0.08 £0.22 £3.15
    cashy41 Call  £0.06 £0.28 £3.47
    LB438 Fold     
    Flop

• Q

cashy41 Check     
    TLK65 Bet  £0.12 £0.40 £3.50
    Chris_Mc Call  £0.12 £0.52 £3.03
    cashy41 Fold     
    Turn

TLK65 Bet  £0.24 £0.76 £3.26
    Chris_Mc Call  £0.24 £1.00 £2.79
    River

TLK65 Bet  £0.56 £1.56 £2.70
    Chris_Mc Call  £0.56 £2.12 £2.23
    TLK65 Show
    • K
    • K

Chris_Mc Muck
    • Q

TLK65 Win Pair of Kings £1.96  £4.66
    and 3rd biggest..... of course its a draw again...
    Chris_Mc Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £4.86
    dabossman Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £3.96
      Your hole cards
    • A

jamboGJ Fold     
    TLK65 Fold     
    LB438 Fold     
    TheRat1 Fold     
    Chris_Mc Raise  £0.10 £0.16 £4.76
    dabossman Raise  £0.28 £0.44 £3.68
    Chris_Mc Call  £0.20 £0.64 £4.56
    Flop

• K

Chris_Mc Check     
    dabossman Bet  £0.44 £1.08 £3.24
    Chris_Mc Call  £0.44 £1.52 £4.12
    Turn

Chris_Mc Check     
    dabossman Check     
    River

Chris_Mc Check     
    dabossman Bet  £1.20 £2.72 £2.04
    Chris_Mc Fold     
    dabossman Muck     
    dabossman Win  £1.40  £3.44
    dabossman Return  £1.20 £0.12 £4.64
  • edited February 2015
    Sat in work, have a guy out out on his class2 test so on the forum fo a bit..

Downlaoded that link lambert, looks like a good read and will start that tonight.

Last night never took many notes, as unsure what to write, a few questions on this, 

1. Do we write notes right away or wait for a pattern first. I.e 3bet me with j.8o once but never happened again.... do i note this or wait too see if the pattern continues.

2. What should i be looking for. Take notes on good players aswell as bad.

3. Colour rings. I put green for team members, red for loose bad players, blue for regs that i come accross miby on 3 tables at a time. And find this helps me notice thses players nore.

4. I have started putting dates too the notes... heard this from scotty77 on live show... do you???

Just would like some input on this please. I.e i have a player in the red that said very loose and bad, but since seemed alot better, so mabye he was just tilting or smashed that day....... 

• edited February 2015
  • edited February 2015
    FWIW my view on the last two HH posts...

Hand 1 - yep totally standard and the joy of NL4 that you get called by those hands :) - vwp

Hand 2 - I like the flop play, but I wouldn't be calling 3b here preflop given oppo stack size. We're calling 28p to win max £2.14 (current pot + oppo stack) - this is only 7.6/1 vs the 7.5/1 odds we hit our set.

This would therefore only be profitable if a) there was no rake and b) we always win the max £2.14 when hitting our set... which we won't because oppo will sometimes hit a bigger hand / or will play fit-or-fold and not bet again post-flop.

If oppo has a 100bb stack to start a hand then things are a bit more marginal, but to keep things simple to start with, it's probably safest to not set mine in 3bet pots (unless oppo has a 100bb+ stack, or the 3b is a really small click back that makes it cheaper to see flop)

Hand 3 - Really like this... there may be an argument for flatting turn to try and get the other guy to call as well, but after donking flop and betting big on turn I think raising is probably the better play - surprised the guy didn't call as donk bets normally mean a reasonable made hand?

Hand 4 - 67s isn't a terribad iso raise from the SB, although I don't think you need to get that cute at NL4 and can play far tighter from the blinds. 

Also as per Hand 2, check out the stack size of the opposition... with only £1 (25bb) behind you don't want to play drawing hands vs him... wait for hands that can leave you with top pair on the flop (big pocket pairs and any two picture cards) and value bet the short stack limpers whenever you hit!!

There is also not the odds to be calling when he does jam, you just need to sigh fold these.

Hand 5 - As above, good to be trying to isolate limpers, but 69s is not the hand for this, particularly at NL4.

It's super rare for a limp/call to donk the flop and not have a made hand (probably Ax) in this spot (at these levels)... so again I'd look to fold if there is aggression from oppo. A weak flush draw with an ace and a paired baord is very rarely going to be a profitable spot to play.

Hand 6 - Debateable whether you should call Q9s, but you do have position. I think calling down is fair here... I'm not sure you get many folds from better hands if you raise turn, some others may think differently?

Hand 7 - Similar to the 77 in hand 2, calling a 3bet out of position with a drawy-hand like A3s is unlikely to be profitable. As blind v blind there is possibly a shout for 4betting, but I'd probably fold (especially vs Bossman... who is often forum lurking and if he's reading this, I'm still surprised he isn't playing a few levels higher!!)

After calling and hitting the best flop we can hope for, I think you have to check/raise and be willing to get it all in... you may get folds from hands like JJ/QQ or better Ax hands and if you do get called you still have maximum equity from your flush (and backdoor straight).

Seems like you are doing alright overall... good luck with building that roll!
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: A PAIN IN THE CASH!!! last nights session + hands and NOTE questions:
    FWIW my view on the last two HH posts... Hand 1 - yep totally standard and the joy of NL4 that you get called by those hands :) - vwp Hand 2 - I like the flop play, but I wouldn't be calling 3b here preflop given oppo stack size. We're calling 28p to win max £2.14 (current pot + oppo stack) - this is only 7.6/1 vs the 7.5/1 odds we hit our set. This would therefore only be profitable if a) there was no rake and b) we always win the max £2.14 when hitting our set... which we won't because oppo will sometimes hit a bigger hand / or will play fit-or-fold and not bet again post-flop. If oppo has a 100bb stack to start a hand then things are a bit more marginal, but to keep things simple to start with, it's probably safest to not set mine in 3bet pots (unless oppo has a 100bb+ stack, or the 3b is a really small click back that makes it cheaper to see flop) Hand 3 - Really like this... there may be an argument for flatting turn to try and get the other guy to call as well, but after donking flop and betting big on turn I think raising is probably the better play - surprised the guy didn't call as donk bets normally mean a reasonable made hand? Hand 4 - 67s isn't a terribad iso raise from the SB, although I don't think you need to get that cute at NL4 and can play far tighter from the blinds.  Also as per Hand 2, check out the stack size of the opposition... with only £1 (25bb) behind you don't want to play drawing hands vs him... wait for hands that can leave you with top pair on the flop (big pocket pairs and any two picture cards) and value bet the short stack limpers whenever you hit!! There is also not the odds to be calling when he does jam, you just need to sigh fold these. Hand 5 - As above, good to be trying to isolate limpers, but 69s is not the hand for this, particularly at NL4. It's super rare for a limp/call to donk the flop and not have a made hand (probably Ax) in this spot (at these levels)... so again I'd look to fold if there is aggression from oppo. A weak flush draw with an ace and a paired baord is very rarely going to be a profitable spot to play. Hand 6 - Debateable whether you should call Q9s, but you do have position. I think calling down is fair here... I'm not sure you get many folds from better hands if you raise turn, some others may think differently? Hand 7 - Similar to the 77 in hand 2, calling a 3bet out of position with a drawy-hand like A3s is unlikely to be profitable. As blind v blind there is possibly a shout for 4betting, but I'd probably fold (especially vs Bossman... who is often forum lurking and if he's reading this, I'm still surprised he isn't playing a few levels higher!!) After calling and hitting the best flop we can hope for, I think you have to check/raise and be willing to get it all in... you may get folds from hands like JJ/QQ or better Ax hands and if you do get called you still have maximum equity from your flush (and backdoor straight). Seems like you are doing alright overall... good luck with building that roll!
    Posted by shakinaces

thanks for the advice mate, will take note.. hopefully.

find it hard to break habbits, supose everyday is a scholl day, advice given and trying to remember and 
    use thata dvice, yet some hands i play like 2nd nature and remember this happened last time!!!! 

slow and steady, still reading alot of suff to do with small stakes cash and hope i improve in the long run, by taking not of whats being said to me !!!

gl at the tables mate.
  • edited February 2015
    so. work done for today, on site tomorrow teaching tug training, now its not what most would think when they read that sentence, its a small vehicle designed for pullin' hings! like the ones at the airport for baggage, but im on a little tiny smaller  one basically too tow metal industrial bins around a uni and a gritter,easy day!!! :)

now that ive bored you with that, im going too load up a couple of tables of 4nl again and see how i go for an hour, before football.

• edited February 2015
    IMO: The 69 is a pretty easy fold on the turn. A3 hand I would probably 4bet pre. The 910 hand I might raise flop sometimes but again flatting is nice.

Unlucky in your main hand last night btw lol.
  • edited February 2015
    Small session there, 
    4 tables at 4nl

3 tables left with profit and i table lost a BI. and wow it must be the worst hand ive played..it horendous  i dont want too put it up but i shall, and some winning ones again,

so leaving it just now at 

£112.81 and 71pts

£4.73 made today, not bad im not sure cant complain.

so toatal cash profit at

+£11.15 
  • edited February 2015
    some hands from today.......

biggest win,
    Chris_Mc Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £3.14
    DrLucky Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £4.52
      Your hole cards
    • A

maramark Fold     
    DARNIK2005 Raise  £0.12 £0.18 £3.92
    frankie700 Call  £0.12 £0.30 £5.97
    POWERFULL Fold     
    Chris_Mc Call  £0.10 £0.40 £3.04
    DrLucky Call  £0.08 £0.48 £4.44
    Flop

• K

Chris_Mc Check     
    DrLucky Check     
    DARNIK2005 Check     
    frankie700 Check     
    Turn

Chris_Mc Bet  £0.24 £0.72 £2.80
    DrLucky Fold     
    DARNIK2005 Call  £0.24 £0.96 £3.68
    frankie700 Call  £0.24 £1.20 £5.73
    River

Chris_Mc Bet  £0.90 £2.10 £1.90
    DARNIK2005 Fold     
    frankie700 Raise  £1.80 £3.90 £3.93
    Chris_Mc All-in  £1.90 £5.80 £0.00
    frankie700 Call  £1.00 £6.80 £2.93
    Chris_Mc Show
    • A

frankie700 Show

Chris_Mc Win Flush to the Ace £6.29  £6.29
    tdl176 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £3.33
    emad1960 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £2.37
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • K

Chris_Mc Raise  £0.16 £0.22 £4.82
    arp57 Fold     
    tosca21 Fold     
    tonyg1974 Fold     
    tdl176 Raise  £0.50 £0.72 £2.83
    emad1960 Fold     
    Chris_Mc All-in  £4.82 £5.54 £0.00
    tdl176 All-in  £2.83 £8.37 £0.00
    Chris_Mc Unmatched bet  £1.63 £6.74 £1.63
    tdl176 Show
    • Q
    • A

Chris_Mc Show
    • K
    • K

Flop

• Q

Turn

River

Chris_Mc Win Pair of Kings £6.23  £7.86

this one I  did nearly fold......
    tosca21 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £3.00
    leetills Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £5.89
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • K

tdl176 Fold     
    buck90 Fold     
    Chris_Mc Raise  £0.12 £0.18 £3.53
    arp57 Call  £0.12 £0.30 £3.96
    tosca21 Fold     
    leetills Fold     
    Flop

• A

Chris_Mc Bet  £0.23 £0.53 £3.30
    arp57 Raise  £0.46 £0.99 £3.50
    Chris_Mc Call  £0.23 £1.22 £3.07
    Turn

Chris_Mc Check     
    arp57 Bet  £0.61 £1.83 £2.89
    Chris_Mc Call  £0.61 £2.44 £2.46
    River

Chris_Mc Check     
    arp57 Bet  £1.22 £3.66 £1.67
    Chris_Mc Call  £1.22 £4.88 £1.24
    arp57 Show
    • J
    • A

Chris_Mc Show
    • A
    • K

Chris_Mc Win Pair of Aces £4.51  £5.75

this player decided to go all in pretty much every hand, I snapped him with KQ
    mcturk30 Small blind £0.02 £0.02 £2.39
    kai5 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £2.28
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • Q

Chris_Mc Raise  £0.12 £0.18 £2.67
    grimsc67 Call  £0.12 £0.30 £5.16
    clubhammer Fold     
    mcturk30 Fold     
    kai5 All-in  £2.28 £2.58 £0.00
    Chris_Mc Call  £2.20 £4.78 £0.47
    grimsc67 Fold     
    kai5 Show

Chris_Mc Show
    • K
    • Q

Flop

• J
    • J

Turn

River

Chris_Mc Win Pair of Jacks £4.42  £4.89
  • edited February 2015
    now my losses, one horrid one,

have no idea what I was thinking....
    daws85 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £3.20
    tray1935 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £0.74
      Your hole cards

Chris_Mc Raise  £0.12 £0.18 £2.68
    RED_H0T Fold     
    thecartw27 Call  £0.12 £0.30 £6.25
    jowvegas Call  £0.12 £0.42 £4.73
    daws85 Call  £0.10 £0.52 £3.10
    tray1935 All-in  £0.74 £1.26 £0.00
    Chris_Mc Call  £0.66 £1.92 £2.02
    thecartw27 Call  £0.66 £2.58 £5.59
    jowvegas Fold     
    daws85 Call  £0.66 £3.24 £2.44
    Flop

• Q

daws85 Check     
    Chris_Mc Check     
    thecartw27 Bet  £0.44 £3.68 £5.15
    daws85 Call  £0.44 £4.12 £2.00
    Chris_Mc Call  £0.44 £4.56 £1.58
    Turn

• J

daws85 Check     
    Chris_Mc All-in  £1.58 £6.14 £0.00
    thecartw27 Call  £1.58 £7.72 £3.57
    daws85 All-in  £2.00 £9.72 £0.00
    thecartw27 Call  £0.42 £10.14 £3.15
    daws85 Show
    • K
    • J

tray1935 Show
    • A
    • K

Chris_Mc Show

thecartw27 Show
    • A
    • K

River

daws85 Win Flush to the King £9.37  £9.37

another bad play I feel, once I sort these hopefully things will run smoother,
    Chris_Mc Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £5.78
    grimsc67 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £7.70
    jerryjohn1 Sit out     
      Your hole cards
    • A

frankie700 Raise  £0.08 £0.14 £3.71
    maramark Fold     
    kaz2153 Fold     
    Chris_Mc Call  £0.06 £0.20 £5.72
    grimsc67 Call  £0.04 £0.24 £7.66
    Flop

• K

Chris_Mc Check     
    grimsc67 Check     
    frankie700 Bet  £0.12 £0.36 £3.59
    Chris_Mc Call  £0.12 £0.48 £5.60
    grimsc67 Fold     
    Turn

Chris_Mc Check     
    frankie700 Bet  £0.24 £0.72 £3.35
    Chris_Mc Call  £0.24 £0.96 £5.36
    River

Chris_Mc Check     
    frankie700 Bet  £0.96 £1.92 £2.39
    Chris_Mc Call  £0.96 £2.88 £4.40
    frankie700 Show
    • J

Chris_Mc Muck
    • A

frankie700 Win Flush to the King £2.66  £5.05
    thecartw27 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £5.36
    jowvegas Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £4.26
    tray1935 Sit out     
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • A

Greengirl Fold     
    Chris_Mc Raise  £0.12 £0.18 £3.99
    Curtlyref8 Fold     
    thecartw27 Call  £0.10 £0.28 £5.26
    jowvegas Call  £0.08 £0.36 £4.18
    Flop

• A

thecartw27 Check     
    jowvegas Check     
    Chris_Mc Bet  £0.18 £0.54 £3.81
    thecartw27 Call  £0.18 £0.72 £5.08
    jowvegas Fold     
    Turn

thecartw27 Check     
    Chris_Mc Bet  £0.28 £1.00 £3.53
    thecartw27 Call  £0.28 £1.28 £4.80
    River

• K

thecartw27 Bet  £0.72 £2.00 £4.08
    Chris_Mc Call  £0.72 £2.72 £2.81
    thecartw27 Show

Chris_Mc Muck
    • K
    • A

thecartw27 Win Three 4s £2.51  £6.59
  • edited February 2015
    Session 2 of the night, made another couple of quid and pts.

swingy, gd session too start then droped a bit in one hand again prob shouldve got away, but made it back 

happy with progress but that will do for tinight. nearly qualified for the 'up your game promo'

BR £115.68 pts 93

+£14.02 
  • edited February 2015
    Note taking...

1) I'd note anything out the ordinary straight away. Doesn't mean we have to radically change how we play against them based on 1 pot but we should be aware of it.

2) A good start is just to get an idea of basic playing styles. i.e. people who limp/call almost exclusively and do it lots are loose/passive, that in itself gives us tons of info. We can iso them wider cos they call to mcuh, we can value bet wider postflop, we give way more respect to their postflop raises cos very passive players tend not to raise postflop unless they've got the world etc etc.

3) Colours are good, more so when you start playing a lot of tables so that in the blink of an eye you can instantly have an idea of the playing style of the guys in your blinds or whatever. Mine is something like Purple = hugely 'good for the game', Green = bit fishy, Yellow = nit reg, Blue = solid/good/competent reg that doesn't just wait for the nuts. Doesn't matter what you use as long as you know it.

4) Dates are good, try to write as shorthand as possible cos the notebox is vvv small but try to get as much info in as possible, like a note of mine might be '4NL - 3x/call BTN v BB w/ 68o, callx3 on J84hh 9o 3o'. (if you don't get that lol... he opened 3x on button, called a 3bet from the BB w/ 68o, then called 3 streets on J8493 (FD on flop that missed).
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: A PAIN IN THE CASH!!! taking notes on players???? what do you go for???:
    Note taking... 1) I'd note anything out the ordinary straight away. Doesn't mean we have to radically change how we play against them based on 1 pot but we should be aware of it. 2) A good start is just to get an idea of basic playing styles. i.e. people who limp/call almost exclusively and do it lots are loose/passive, that in itself gives us tons of info. We can iso them wider cos they call to mcuh, we can value bet wider postflop, we give way more respect to their postflop raises cos very passive players tend not to raise postflop unless they've got the world etc etc. 3) Colours are good, more so when you start playing a lot of tables so that in the blink of an eye you can instantly have an idea of the playing style of the guys in your blinds or whatever. Mine is something like Purple = hugely 'good for the game', Green = bit fishy, Yellow = nit reg, Blue = solid/good/competent reg that doesn't just wait for the nuts. Doesn't matter what you use as long as you know it. 4) Dates are good, try to write as shorthand as possible cos the notebox is vvv small but try to get as much info in as possible, like a note of mine might be '4NL - 3x/call BTN v BB w/ 68o, callx3 on J84hh 9o 3o' . (if you don't get that lol... he opened 3x on button, called a 3bet from the BB w/ 68o, then called 3 streets on J8493 (FD on flop that missed).
    Posted by Lambert180

thanks paul, god stuff as usual, and should help me with that.
  • edited February 2015
    well another we session for a a couple of hours, but this time lost a coupke of quid, profit on one tbale but less on the others

so 5 tabels and ended up down -£3.85

br £111.83 pts 114

+£10.17 
  • edited February 2015
    after the session earlier played some more, 20 mins mastercash, at 20nl then 2 tables of 4 nl after and things went a bit better,

so total at end of th night is 

160pts

+£27.34 cash profit this month
  • edited February 2015
    Quick question,

The early bird bonus says that if you start a table and are 3 handed or less you recieve a points boost.

Is this case if the table drops to 3 handed or less aswell? ?